PDA

View Full Version : The Althanaversary Discussion Thread

Ther
01-02-07, 10:23 PM
For those of you who weren't aware, I'd like to let you all know that today was the fifth anniversary of this forum being founded. Back on January 2nd, 2002, myself and four other Althanas staffers created this forum to replace AllRPG's old Interactive Village, and by all accounts it is going as strong as ever. If you want to see what Althanas looked like when it first launched, you can do so by clicking on this link: http://web.archive.org/web/20020225134951/www.allrpg.com/iw/

So in celebration of this milestone, I'd like to announce three events that will be taking this month to mark the five years:

1) The Althies - The Althies will be Althanas' year-end awards event. Players will be able to nominate other members in over 35 different categories, and voting on the winner of each category will begin shortly thereafter. The Althies will be hosted by Althanas staffer Lucien.

2) The Althanas Hall of Fame - The Althanas Hall of Fame will celebrate the greatest players ever to write on this forum. Because the Hall of Fame will be seen as one of the greatest honors awarded on the site, nominees must have been members of the site for at least 3 years. This will event will be hosted by myself, Santhalas.

3) The Althanaversary Tournament - The Althanaversary Tournament will be a one-on-one battle tournament where players will have the opportunity to make their own brackets and plot out tournament match-ups for themselves. Expect tournament registration to begin in 3 or 4 days. This event will also be hosted and judged by Santhalas.

This is essentially the place to discuss the Althanaversary celebration, ask questions on any of the events, or just give your opinion on them, if you like. Discuss!

INDK
01-02-07, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about a HoF. A judges choice forum seems like it is essentially an HoF, and I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea of people who are still active on the forum being considered "hall of famers." It seems like someone like that would seem very intimidating to deal with.

Conversely, it seems like a great way to remember people like Tye, Gild, Devon, etc. who probably won't be around much in the future. Then again, I probably would have thought that about Valentina Snow a year ago.

Cyrus the virus
01-02-07, 10:38 PM
Please describe this tournament more please!

Talon
01-02-07, 10:57 PM
WOW! That pic is when Finny was the newest member!

Solomon
01-03-07, 09:13 AM
I had my first character on that old forum. He was a demon warrior, and I wasn't very good with him.

Santh. Didn't you go by Santh'til'garos in those days?

Anyways, looking forward to the tournament!

Krugor
01-03-07, 09:36 AM
What are the requirements for somebody to get into the HoF, other than a 3-year membership?

And yes, enlighten us with more tournament details!

Dissinger
01-03-07, 01:45 PM
Whatever it is I want in. One on One torunaments produced one of my favorite fights...

Ther
01-03-07, 03:10 PM
Please describe this tournament more please!

Basically, there will be four different divisions, with 8 players in each, and those participating in the tournament will get to plot out their fantasy match-ups in each division. One player's bracket in each division will then be chosen randomly, and the tournament round will begin. That answer your question?

Cyrus the virus
01-03-07, 04:25 PM
Sounds good. I'll have to see it in action, though :cool:

Djakara
01-03-07, 07:45 PM
Basically, there will be four different divisions, with 8 players in each, and those participating in the tournament will get to plot out their fantasy match-ups in each division. One player's bracket in each division will then be chosen randomly, and the tournament round will begin. That answer your question?

How will people be assigned to divisions. Will people get to sign up for divisions, or will you alot them?

Ther
01-03-07, 09:33 PM
How will people be assigned to divisions. Will people get to sign up for divisions, or will you alot them?

I was planning to just randomize placement, but if people want to lobby for signing up for your own division (which would make this tournament different then Serenti, for example), I can certainly go that way too.

Djakara
01-03-07, 10:07 PM
As a newer player, I might not seem like the most convincing person to make this argument, but I think letting people sign up for their own divisions will create more "dream matches" either among people who feel like they have a score to settle in tournaments, or characters that have had a longstanding rivalry that now is going to come to a head in the tournament, or perhaps even two characters that would have a good battle, but have never had IC reason to fight before this.

I really can't see a downside to letting people pick their own divisions, except maybe the first few people to sign up might not have as much control over their destiny as the people who sign up later, but those people can recruit others to join their division, and otherwise would just end up in random divisions.