PDA

View Full Version : Dark Beginnings...

Aial
01-03-07, 06:27 PM
The man is forced into silence- his tounge held out of fear of losing it... he scurries along the ground until his back is pressed to the allywall and still he attempt to retreat farther- the figure creeps closer its dagger help vertical a soft dull metalic sheen in the strong silver moonlight. Slowly the figure kneels infront of the man who stares in a mix of fear and awe.

He was a man of the cloth... a heavy brown robe settled around his pale features and lithe figure. He was an old man at that devote in his beliefs since his youth. Which god did he serve? All and none- many gods exsist in the world of Althanas and not all have enough followers to stick in all the places of the world. His purpose was to assist those with any rites there religion may atest to. One might wonder why this is important- but everything has a reason for being. Sweat slowly cakes over his face his mouth slowly slack jawed in raw bewonderment at the creature that stood before him.

The blade shifts gracefully in the air- the pointed tip touching to the base of the preists throat reflexivly causing his head to tilt backward and adams apple to bob upward as he swallowed.

"Where is the Arkiar Journal Priest."

The sign of fear written over his features changes to one of disbelif, then wonderment and all back to fear...

"You!"

"Yes... me... now that we have covered the introduction my patience grows thin Priest... where is the first Arc fragment. I know it's in the city... I can feel it and I know your order has the fragment."

The blade turned ever so slowly a faint red stream trickling over down the tip of the blade.

"I do not forget such things..."

The man swallows again having winced at the sudden sting of pain brushing through his body as a warm trickle of blood runs down into his robe.

"I-I will never-"

"Do not tempt me Mortal Man- your order is a lot weaker then it used to be as are the will of its followers. You people these days do not have half the balls they used too- the intiation rituals alone would have driven a little puss pile like you mad within thirty mintues. And being as they last weeks... that is not saying much. So stop pretending your not going to tell me so I can skip the torture. I only have a few hours before sunrise and I need a few to return before I am found missing."

The figure leaned foreward slowly- its face moving closer under the shadow of its robe- heavy deep blue hair falls from the hood, or it seemed blue... its color suddenly shifted to a magnificent violet, a deep green, a deep beautiful red and then back again.

The man knew two things. It was her.

And that he didn't want to die.

"It's in the food cellar..."

"Now thats a good boy... was that so hard? Now I have no reason to torture you and I can be on my marry way."

The man let out a sigh or releif- his eyes closing-

"Thank you for your time."

A scream of terror peaks and echos through the near empty street- it lasts half a second before its cut off with a gurgle and a weak groan. The dagger pulls free of his wind pipe... blood already filling his lungs as he begins to drown- the figure stands slowly and starts to slip away as the morning suns flames begin to creep around the horizen.

Aial
01-03-07, 06:28 PM
Shallow Stone

Shallow Stone: A small trade town which has only two things to offer the rest of Scara Brea.
One: Metal- famous for the ritch iron, copper and tin veins running through the rocky slopes the two touchs.
Two: Its location makes a prime spot to trade- exchange- and transport the metals to wherever it needs to be making it a prime traveler and trader spot.

A perfect place to gather information.

At least thats what Aial figured though there where prehaps better places. This was the only town she knew- one her father had told her about and it was also the closest to her old home which was now a pile of ash and rubble as was much of the forest around it. Aial had not seen her fathers murder and only heard his voice.

Not much to go on... but better then nothing at all.

She had also been unable to make out the conversation going on bettween them both but that didn't stop her from eaves dropping as much as possible. She'd gotten a few things out of it too.

A Name: Adol
And a Place: Alerar

This left her with at least a few opinions to choose from. If the stranger was going to the mentioned place she could check there. If not at least ask around with the name and see what came off. Not only that but since he had been to visit her Father he must still be on Scara Brea for at least another day or so. If she had any chance of catching her Fathers murderer... it was now.

Shallow Stone was the closest town- which seemed the best place for the stranger to head if he wished transportion to one of the port cities so naturally when Aial strolled into town she was in a rather good mood- it had taken her more then a week to travse the forest to get to town and she couldn't have been more then a day or so behind her target- now it was just a matter of finding him.

Aial suddenly squeeked as something slammed into her back forcing a girlish squeel as she hit the ground face first.

Aial was an elf by birth- but being raised by a human had her acting in a different capacity then many elves one would see. She considered and act about as human as the next person and although she heald the lithe nature, physic and natural grace many elves have she had one stark difference and that being her feiry blood red hair which was not a common trait amoung elves of any kind.

She huffed and groaned as she twisted her body to postion herself on her hands and knees- working herself to her feet- the heavy thud of metal and a few yells had brought her attention away from the dispear of having her beautiful blue robe covered in dirty to what had knocked her over and for what reason.

A handful of armed men where running through the street, five to be exact. The term armed used loosely as the group of men where the towns Milita. Soon on her feet the she-elf dusted herself off as best she could before making to follow the crowd the men where trying to make its way through.

There was a lot of chatter going around as she stood near the back of the mob- unable to see due to her being shorter then most of the men in the crowd- she improvised by tipping a bucket and standing on it to just peak over.

The Milita where standing around a body slumped agasint an allyway wall. The talk had been about a murder or demon of some kind being in town.

That's it! He was here! And he'd killed another person...

A silent fury rung up in the depth of her chest seething silently. This wasn't anger- but rage.

It never occured to her that it might not even be him.

Aial
01-03-07, 06:29 PM
Aial stayed around to listen to the ideal talk and banter to see if she could pick up any worth while information. She got none for her efforts and simply drifted away eventually. Plans within plans forming inside her mind, back up plans in case those men failed. She happened to know her father was an able bodied fighter so whoever this stranger was wouldn't be easy to put down.

Brain over Brawn her father had always told her.

The first thing Aial did was find a place to stay an Inn was her best bet and though the town was full of them she was rather selective about where she would occupy her evening. It only took a little inquiry with a few locals to find what she was looking for.

Bloodgut Inn.

Festive name to say the least- it was a less repitable Inns in the city. Then again she wasn't looking for safety.

She was looking for information.

So did enter Aial.

She turned more heads then she hoped- not wishing to draw attention to herself. The place was full of Knaves and Brigadiers. Not to sterotype but the general description of the crowd matched that which had been given to her when it came to the defination of both those phrases. Acting tough was out of the question as that would invite trouble... so she'd take a middle ground.

She wandered to the front desk and spoke with the Innkeeper only breifly before aquireing a room for a pair of gold peices. The extra was to get a room with a pad lock on the door and it wasn't long before she was at the bar.

Three names had been popular when she asked about who where the best people to talk to.

Billy Blood
Isha Malth
Garris Bloodbrew

Only one of which was aparently in town at the moment and this was his popular hang out during the early evening hours of the day. And a few malt beers later she wasn't disapointed.

She knew nothing about this Garris but what little she'd gathered from her questioning- long black beard- red brim hat- and a dwarf. Aial had never once ecountered a Dwarf before but since the rest of the description matched she figured she'd found who she was looking for. Garris Bloodgut took instant notice of the she-elf and was already making his way over to say hello she was more then thankful his accent was weak and nearly non-exsistant at this point- he must have been living here for awhile.

She took notice of the important things.

How he carried himself- like rogue... short- stout but he crept around with barely a noise. If he was armed one could never tell but Aial caught the glimpse a series of knives rimming the dwarfs belt when he approached and helped himself into the stool right next to her.

"'Ello there. I think you might have wandered into the wrong place little elf. The brothel is a few streets down." He grinned for some reason and Aial just stared at him for a long moment.

She had no idea what a brothel even was- but she could tell she was being poked fun off.

"Garris you're not going to make any friends by insulting me."

"Who says I want to be friends with you hm?" He cocked an eyebrow- leaned closer and brushed a few fingers over his beard... some bread fell out of it all over the floor.

"Fine let me rephrase- you won't make any money by insulting me." She must have said the magic word- the dwarfs entire posture changed and he gave her one long careful look- as if checking for something.

"Alright little She-elf... what is it you want?"

"Information- that is one of your area's isnt it?"Aial shifted in her chair to face him more- her posture strong but not over powering. She wanted to establish herself as present.

Not challengeing but not weak either.

Aial
01-03-07, 06:30 PM
"About a week ago a man passed through this town- he might have gone by the name of Adol. If that didn't help then the same man arrived here either yesterday or the day before after heading into the woods where the fire took place of around last week. This same man is likely responsible for the murder of the preist earlier today." Aial was content to stare at her mug as she spoke her peice- she might have been small but she could probibly have out drank the dwarf, who when watching her take a gulp in stride seemed rather impressed.

"I see... so what pretenses of information be ye looking for?"

"Any and all information pretaining to his location, previous locations, desintation and appearance."

"I see. I don't rightly call any man coming through here by the name of Adol- but someone did come through around the times you mentioned and from the place you mentioned who fits the vague description you gave me fairly well. As for where he's going... I can't say I have any idea. Give me a day and be back here around the same time tomorrow and I'll have some information for you she-elf."

What luck... she thought Things are actually going fairly well.

"Agreed. What's your price going to be?" Aial was a bit worried about that- she needed money to travel after all.

"Hmm..." a moment of pondering on the Dwarfs part who was alreading leaving his stool. "I'll try to keep it cheap for ya. I like ya. And that she-elf is a rare thing considering. At the most depending on what happens I'll charge you an even twenty gold."

Aial nodded slightly. "Many thanks Garris- around this time- here- tomorrow?"

"Aye." Garris was already on his way out the door- hopefully to go to work. She didn't need to explain that this wasn't a job to be pushed back. It needed to be done right away and as soon as possible- the man could leave at any time.

She squeeled again- an arm suddenly went around her waist and squeezed as someone lithe she-elf clean off the stool.

"Aren't you a cutie! How about having a drink with me?"

Blah! Whiskey breath. Annoyed- and angry and making that squeel yet again she gave a terrible thrash of her legs and arms- one closed fist connecting with the mans eye while a foot caught him square bettween the legs. It was his turn to squeel and yelp- nearly dropping her onto the floor but instead she landed on his fallen curled figure. She was already getting back to her feet.

"Hell you drunk old coon you scared the crap out of me!" She wasn't kidding about the old part- the man looked at least fifty- but was certanily strong and spry for his age...

The again she didn't weight very much.

"Touch me again and I'll get all... body part removing on your ass." She grabbed her mug from the bartop and went to move away when someone else grabbed hold of her this time. The man was still on the floor so this time it was... a small short bearded child.

Aial stared for a long moment.

Then covered her eyes.

And looked again- still the short bearded child.

Her next glance was towards her glass.

"Ok I think I should stop drinking at this point." she shook her leg which the critter had a tight hold on.

"What? Haven't you ever seen a gnome before miss?"

Gnome? "No."

"Bit sheltered aren't we... either way my name is Tarnik Ruthinberg- and I'm a Shallow-Stone Ranger."

Aial
01-03-07, 06:30 PM
"Ranger?"

"Yes. I'd be happy to explain everything you wish miss if you would join me for a drink. I am- in a way a type of law enforcement around here. I wish to talk to you about the inquiries you've been making around town and to Mr. Bloodbrew." The gnome stroked his white beard as he eyed the she-elf carefully. He was shorter then the dwarf- almost half as much but on second inspection Aial found he was definatly NOT a child. He was armed in bioled black leather leggings, chest peice, bracers and boots. He also had a pair of short swords which where each about the size of her dagger.

"Yes... that would be fine." She spoke slowly as if unsure what she was saying. Either way Tarnik lead her over to a pair of chairs and a table in the corner before pulling himself up into it.

She sat down in the one opposite.

"So I hear you're looking for someone- and this someone is- as you suspect responsible for not only the fire many saw last week deep in the woods but also the murder which took place last night- am I correct so far?" he stood on the chair- to get a better look at her.

"Yes."

"What may I ask has lead to this assumption?"

"Based on the time table of his arrival and depature- not to mention the history of this character it is highly likely it is him."

"History?"

"He arrived at my home a day before the fire- and left. The next day after I got my present for my birthday I suddenly passed out- when I woke up the house was aflame and my Father was..."

"Murdered?"

"Yes." Aial shifted uncomfortably- she had yet to talk with anyone about this and she was trying very hard to keep herself calm.

"I see. So you think he doubled back and killed him- why?"

"The day before when he visited he was around for about two hours- the entire time he argued with my father."

The gnome dropped into a long silence and went to stroking his beard again- Aial downed whatever remained in her glass and set it aside on the table glancing away akwardly.

"I'll report these findings to Head Quarters. You have no need to persue him." The gnome suddenly looked surprised- as he had obviously been expecting a different reaction for Aial.

She gave a soft nod and slowly worked herself to her feet. "I understand- but I'm rather tired. I think I'll go upstairs to my room and go to sleep earily."

"I see." The ranger shifted off his chair as well standing behind Aial as she made way towards the staircase.

"One last thing- please stay inside at night. This murder if he's still here may strike again it's not safe outside. The Nightwatch has issued a sun down marker on all districts. If you are caught outside after dark you'll be detained and arrested."

"Very well Tarnik... Thank you for the warning." Aial half turned and gave the Gnome a dazziling smile- he blushed as she slipped off upstairs.

She had no intention of giving up her pursuit- but he didn't need to know that.

"Just make sure to lock your door miss. There are other dangerous folk about as it is- even more so for a young women such as yourself."

Aial
01-03-07, 06:31 PM
The room she had aquired was- questionalble. But the door had a double bolt lock with key on it not to mention a dead bolt on the inside of the door. Not only that it was sold oak- nice and strong. She could sleep soundly without any worry of someone sneaking in any natural way. The window also had a lock on the outter shutters- also oak. This one locked with a key which she had obtained.

She let out a slow groan- she was sore- tired... and her feet hurt more then she would ever admit aloud. The window closed and locked in place and the door having the same thing for it she drifted towards the straw bed.

Despite the intense need to sleep- she resisted and worked to check the strawing for what really worried her. She was pleasently surprised to find the bedding fresh and without lice or any kind of infestation. The straw was matted down and had been covered with a loose fitting linen cover- which she reapplied after checking the matress.

The building was slowly getting noisy- downstairs the late night patrons where coming in... she'd retreated just in time.

The she-elf paused only for a moment before loosening the cloth cord around her waist and setting it on a dresser along with her backpack and pouch- bending it was one simply motion before the robe slipped off over her head. Nearly naked her pale light form seemed nearly untouched over then a small scare running over the base of her shoulder. All that remained where a light pair of white linen undergarments which she kept as she dropped onto the bed- shoes where all that remained.

And her gloves- the markings sewn into the white trim she took a moment to examine- her father told her it was evlish- which she couldn't read. She assumed the markings ment something but as of yet she had no idea all she knew was she couldn't remove them- nor did she really fell them. They felt like a second skin.

Under the covers she waited for sleep to take her... it didn't. She wanted to go out and hunt the man who killed her father. How could she possibly sleep when he could be out there!

That was her last thought before the darkness took her...

Hear me now- vessel for the Darkness
Hear me now- that which pretends to be sane.

You are the vessel.
My vessel- birth has dictated it so.
you wear the first peice.

The Einhar.

Aial
01-03-07, 06:32 PM
It had perhaps been a mistake to kill the preist so soon- it might have been better to restrain him until her task was done. The town was on alert and it seemed they did not want her to go unpunished for her crime. It did not matter to her- a handful of men roamed the street. Milita men which formed the Darkwatch and some Rangers. The rangers where her primary concern- not simply just some armed town folk they where combat ready and experienced. In her current state one on one combat would end badly for her.

The girl slipped bettween the narrow path bettween two buildings and into the dark unlit street. Her dark robe and hood made decent camoflauge as her grace aloud her to move silently towards her target.

The warehouse.

And it was under guard... she wasn't surprised after all the men looked like men of the cloth also- the distinction being the bracketed markings along the brims of there robes- and the spears and short swords they maintained. To do battle in such a place would make far to much noise and that said two able bodied mens with spears where something to worry about.

So she went to plan B.

She made it half way up the steps before they noticed her- one man was very uptight- perhaps new he watched her carefully gripping his spear as if it was a safety blanket. But he stood and shifted in a way that showed he did know how to use it. The second was older- balding and seemed rather content in his place. He had been at it for years and had little worry of anything ever happening.

Wasn't he in for a surprise.

"Who goes there?"

"Just... a visitor. I've seen you boys out here each and every night and figured you could use some company." Her face was only lightly shadowed- leaving it for the pair to admire as they would- the flowing blue hair shifted in its eradtic wake of colors only drawing the eye to the delicate facial features. The young boy swallowed a breath, the older couldn't help by smile as he spoke.

"You do know there is a watch going on- you should be in doors. It's not safe out here."

"Oh? I never heard of it... my house is quite difficult to get to though. Its the next street over- the tall one." she turned and pointed- she'd gained two steps while turning to point and was now only a step away.

His smile broadened.

She turned gracefully and pretended to trip and embrace him- he slumped agasint the wall... but not under her weight... A knife had been driven into his neck on an angle to enter the wind pipe and prevent speach- he was dieing as blood ran down his neck- out of veiw from his partner.

"Oh how clumbsy of me... are you alright?" she spoke with feigned but convincing concern- and turned with an expert grace to her feet- drawing the knife and letting it twist through the air... the knee blade caught the young boy in the eye. His face gawking in awe and surprised before he two slumped to the ground...dead.

She strode foreward and retrived her knife taking but only a few moments to use it to gimmy the lock open and enter the warehouse.

Aial
01-03-07, 06:33 PM
The warehouse was dark... she liked it. Crates lined the walls and the floor way... and her senses hinted that the object of her desire was indeed here... in fact it was directly blow her. She moved through the warehouse slowly taking her time to make sure she was indeed alone and to her glee she was. The entrance however would prove to be a problem.

A large stone slab lay on the floor it had no handles or tools to pry it upward- and even if it did she would have no possible way of lifting it on her own- she just wasn't strong enough. She was... however not an idoit.

"The blessings of life- bring forth your exsistance and let me feel the cool embrace of your touch. Bring of life from the sky- powerful and beautiful..."

The women spoke in a soft sultry tone... like the way you speak to a lover or a child. Her hands lay apart fingers curled as a sheen flickered over her hands as a small ball of water seemed to appear in the palms of her hands- twisting and turning as a sultry smile passed over her face. She then pulled her one hand to the side- streching the ball out like a string before pouring the water into the seams around the tile.

Concetration was key- the water seemed to skin and stick in place brushing her hands slowly through the air until one remained. The other placed at her side.

A snap of her finger was all it took as the water froze and expanded around the cracks and inside it lifting the tile upward only an inch or so.

It was enough the slick ice around the seems made the tile easy to push off and reveal the torched stairway heading downward a simple indication that someone was here keeping an eye on the place. More fun for her.

It took only a few moments to decend the steps and open the door at the bottom- the following room was large- bigger then four of the surronding buildings combined. Torchs lined the walls carefully placed to avoid the delicate contents of the underground room.

The books.

Book shelves filled the entire are- hallways and massive volumes of untold size and defination... one could only guess how much of the orders history was contained in this place.

Yet the women only had one thing in mind- she wanted her journal. Scraping a torch off the wall she started to stroll the rows... trying to get a feel for what she was looking for. She was rather pleased when she found one of two things she expected to find here.

A librarian. And he was asleep at that.

He moved closer- he was an old man... very old. Easily in his late thousands. He was after all an elf.

"And so she comes marching two and fro armed with only a dagger... and the raw power of creation."

The elf mummbled quietly before shifting in his chair and slowly sat up... peeling his face from a page in a book he slowly glanced behind him at the girl. He stared strangely for a moment... then procceded to put on his glasses.

"Oh...shit..."

"That's what the preist I killed yesterday said when he saw me." He slowly worked himself to his feet- and turned to face her. He was old- even more so for an elf his heavy white hair was wrinkled and tattered, like his face his ears sloped slightly at the tips. Very few saw elves age to be like this.

"And so enters Valas..."

Aial
01-03-07, 06:33 PM
Information or Desicration

"Mm. Wow... It's been so long since someone has remebered my orginal name Dear Githilandar. I should not be surprised it is you... but you've gotten a little... wrinklier then I remeber." Her body shifted suddenly, all her weigh on one leg hip jutted out and arms lightly crossed as her bottom lip slowly drew out in a playful pout.

It had been a few thousand years since he'd seen her do that... and he still blushed red as a cherry.

"Glad you remeber me Gith- now wheres the journal." She smiled playfully at him- even batted her eyeslashes.

The world journal made the blush fade- he went white as a sheet. "Lady Valas- I swore an oath- I cannot give you the journal- I have redemed myself. I am free to die without fear... there is nothing you can do to change that."

She just smiled again bitting the left side of her lower lip gently head tilting back to expose her slender neck- then she laughed. A horrible sanity deviod masterpeice.

"Gith just tried to tell me no. ''No!' Thats priceless Gith... seriously now where's the journal."

"I am being serious."

Her smile wavered- the corner of her lips twitched but she managed to stop herself. This was not going to ruin her mood.

"Not matter. You may be forgiven- but your blood oath to me remains strong... it is how I found this place- it is how I found you." Githilandars eyes widden as he went to step back- she snatched him by the throat and held the feeble old elf in place. His eyes suddenly rolled back.

Any blood bound to her was hers. That was not to be debate- so she would take what she needed from his head even if he didn't want to. Suddenly... she let go her lips twisting into a nasty scowl as she cursed in over thirty different tounges, with 4 dialects.

"...bastard!" she ended as she whirled around at the mummbling preist.

"You gave him the journal! That bastard who came to kill my vessel and you GAVE him the book. Now I have to catch him... oh this is just great. You just made the easy part even harder."

He was whimpering now curled on the floor. "Please forgive me Lady Valas..." and other variations in evlish dribbled from his lips.

For a moment she considered her options- this was a set back but wouldn't stop her. A shard of her was inside the journals pages- she could find it and its keeper eventually. It seemed goals had become one in the same.

"No matter. You are forgiven."

He looked up. "Really?"

Valas pressed the torch agasint his robes and he squeeled- it took less then a few seconds for them to catch fire- he squeeled and tried to run- only to run into a book shelf and send books tumbling down onto him. In a few moments a roaring blaze had begun and Valas was making her way back upstairs.

She had no more use for this city... and tomorrow would be on her way to find the Journal.

Aial
01-03-07, 06:34 PM
The Nightwatch.

It was no surprise when the fire drew there attention. Valas had slipped through the narrow passage bettween the buildings back into the street she had orginaly considered. She ran into a small patrol of rangers moments after pecking through.

Not good.

She was forced to run- and run she could. She wasn't very strong... but not was she feebly weak her light body and long slender legs made running almost second nature- her vessel was a good one and it carried her away with more speed then most could muster. That being said she didn't lose a few of the Elven Rangers who where hot on her tail. She had no wish to fight the Rangers- so she would have to lose them. Swallow Stone had once been larger- but a fire near the lumber mill had taken out a section of low coinage housing so naturally when she retreated into this area she found mostly chared ruins... but it was a start.

It was almost an art... carefully selecting the perfect building to lose these elven folk in- and one human... hmm- impressive. Either way when she skipped into an old in she made straight up the stairs. She took the steps three at a time lowering her chances of hitting the wrong kind of step.

By the third floor she heard a scream and a terrible crash- someone had fallen through the steps. She would suspect the heavy footed human lad. By the third floor in one of the rooms she found what she was looking for. A hole in the wall which lead to the building next door- both buildings had nearly equal sized holes... someone had escaped the burning building through this measure as well.

It wasn't long before she was safely in the second building... or the half of it remainig and working he way back down to the street.

The rangers where searching the house for her as she slipped away back into the more public streets of town.

She needed to get back- the sun would be raising soon.

With a light thud she bounced off something quite solid- a person- and fell backwards onto her hind quarters to look at... three Nigthwatchmen.

Shit.

"Wow there. Slow down...what's wrong- why are you running away?" She was almost to dumb founded to react like she should have. Almost...

"There... there was a man- he broke into my house and started chasing me! He had a knife and I think he wanted to kill me." slowly working herself into some hystarics for the men- the one she'd plowed into was working to help her to her feet.

"There there... it's alright... we'll take you down to the Town hall and keep you there for the rest of the night."

She nodded- fake tears in her eyes... damn she was good at this. But this wouldn't do- she needed to get back or else she might raise a few unwanted questions from the wrong people.

"Come on- lets go." The small groups leader turned- holding onto her arm to drag her away with them- the other two turned as well.

She took advantage of the situation- palming her dagger into hand as she reached around the mans neck- tracing the blade across his throat with one smooth easy motion- he had time to gasp and grasp at her arm. She tore it away before he could- he dropped to the ground and clenched at his throat despearately. The other two turned- surprised- shaken...but quite angry.

Well wasn't this going to be fun.

"What the hell! Seems we've found our murder."

Aial
01-03-07, 06:35 PM
"Yea... you did... aren't you boys lucky." she chimed playfully... stalling.

She harboured no illusions about herself. In her current state she was no match for two armed and lightly armoured men in combat... yet if she could fight them one on one... one at a time she could certainly find a way to make due. It left the question of... how?

Brain of Brawn.

What did she have to her advantage?
Disadvantage?

Both men where lightly armoured with a leather cap each and iron chain mail- one had a long sword and the other a short with a small metal buckler. Mail leggings and leather boots. Though iron the chain mail would prevent her dagger form doing any damage before being taken down. That left only the vital points. Neck, face, waist and crotch.

Most knock the idea but a well placed knife to the groin can be debilitating at worst and fatal at best.

She however only had a knife and no armour to speak of.

They where slower then she was so she had the advantage of speed.

They had superiour numbers which took a good deal of the advantage from her speed.

She however had a trump card.

"Drop the knife miss- if your lucky they won't hang you for what you've been doing." They where suddenly armed, long sword and short sword- the buckler was left slung over the one mans shoulder.

"Love to boys but I have places to be... people to kill, property to regain- you know how it is?"

They both looked at one another- back and her- and then started to close in on her.

"I should warn you boy. I have killed millions- and you two will be no acception. This is your one and only chance to walk away... if you don't take it I'm going to kill you both and I promise you you will not lay a single hand on me."

They could- but she couldn't allow it- any indication of injury would possibly give her away. Even if they did try to leave- they where about to die.

"Sorry- we can't do that. And look at you- your about to run. Theres no point in bluffing." From this point on only one had done any talking- the other the one with the short sword... younger stood a few steps behind the bigger one. He seemed troubled...

She smiled slowly- she had her plan.

Aial
01-03-07, 06:35 PM
The first move was theirs- the Long Swordsman stepped foreward giving his sword a wide heavy stroke. Valas was forced to step backwards to avoid the swing only to rush foreward- the knife held firmly in both hands to try and plow it through the mans chin. No fool he twisted his body and used his elbow to shove her back. She wasn't very big or heavy so naturally she flopped backward onto her back with a heavy thud- knocking her head over the dirt road.

She whimpered and rolled away a moment later- the long sword met nothing but dirt as she shifted her foot appearing from the bottom of her robe to attempt to kick him in the groin.

She met a heavy clunk of metal the man lurched foreward in mild pain- making a grab at her hair with his free hand... all the better to lop her head off.

So far the second had only stood and watched... not wanting to get tangled up in the mess and maybe hit the wrong person. A moment later she was on her feet- held by her hair and he moved in.

"We got her!" he spoke enthusasticly- happy to have captured her. Naturally he was surprised when the other Militamen took a swing of his sword towards Valas's neck. He was about to say something when the man suddenly go a knief buried in the base of his shoulder he let out quite the screach and let go of her hair. She ducked away and down as he gripped his wounded shoulder.

Valas was behind them now and took off running.

"Don't let her get away! Stop her!"

The youngerman nodded slightly open mouthed and took off running after Valas.

Weaving left...

Then right...

He could hear his companion a short distance behind him now. Taking a moment to remove his buckler and place it in hand he rounded a corner.

Valas had stopped made to strike at the younger mans neck with the knife- she got a buckler bash in the chest for her attempt and dropped onto her back weezing. He stared... agast and pointed the short sword at her chest.

"Don't move... you've been caught."

Coughing- she eyed him helplessly taking in a few short gasps for air. Just then his stance loosened a fraction- a yell pulled his attention from where it should have been. His companion was only twenty or so paces behind him.

It was the last thing he ever saw- a sharp pain broke through his spine and he gaged on something metalic tasting... his body broke stance and fell like a doll to the ground. The dagger and been taken to the back of his neck- severing the spine and cutting the wind pipe.

A dagger was a small bladed weapon- it wasn't ment for open combat or defense- but to deal a sudden fast death blow. When armoured the best place to go for was the neck, face or pelvis area. On your adverage person- neck, chest and stomach.

She however was limited to just two for her next attacker. He charged in rage sword twisted and ready to swing.

Aial
01-03-07, 06:36 PM
Did it matter? Not really... her goal had been accomplished. She now only had one man to deal with and unlike two in her current state. This would be little problem- or so she thought. The man swung- but didn't lose his balance as she worked to duck and weave her way around the blows giving her no time to react or attack.

She was tired from the running- and it was catching up to her.

He was tired and bleeding- but fueled by intense rage.

To finish her plan she needed two things- to disable the man long enough to finish him and to put some safe distance bettween them.

Chance granted her wish- the man while in a wilde overhead swing tripped over the body of his fallen comrade. He landed face first and with a groan.

Valas quickly slipped away putting a fair ten feet bettween her and her attacker.

"Ugh... err... bitch.. I'm going to make sure you rott in the gallows for killing my son..."

Son? Oohh...

"You're son? Hmm... I'm sorry his father wasn't smart enough to tell him not to take his eyes off a prisoner."

The man growled- sword up and started to charge- blind rage filling his eyes.

He was no warrior- and that would prove his undoing. Valas's hands formed infront of her gathering moisture out of seemingly nowhere. Soon she had a hefty sized ball of water- like before she worked to strech one side of it outwards into a point.

The man was half way there when she forced her palm outwards the stream of water suddenly froze into a large icicle which the man took directly to the chest... the ice steamed with the intense cold it was frozen with- it broke right through the iron chain mail and impaled the man through the chest. He didn't even live long enough for a last breath- he crumbled to the ground.

Valas panted lightly gripping her chest- that sheild bash had more then winded her- as did the magical energy she was forced to gather without her mediums. She shifted and turned away from the Nightwatchmens bodies and made for her place of resting.

Aial
01-03-07, 06:37 PM
The slender figure slipped into the window- working the heavy shutters closed behind her as she strolled across the room towards a dresser her knife- blood stained needed to be cleaned and even as tired as she was she managed to work up enough energy to conjour a little more water to clean it- and herself to some extend.

A sultry steady gait brought her towards her bed seated as she adjust the mantle from her shoulders removing the heavy hood that came with it. Deep blue strandes of hair poured about her face- neck and chest brushing her fingers through the heavy locks... brushing them over her shoulders she took a few moments to catch her breath. She had very little energy left- just enough to refresh her vessel before her essence when back to sleep. A declate working as she stripped off the robe.

Robed- she was dark, heavy looking- but beautiful. Near naked- she was sensualy aware of her appearance. It was as many things she considered... a weapon to her. A soft delicate purr breaks from her throat as she raises her arms high into the air- working out the knots from her nights labour.

Soon she was under the covers and drifting off into her own form of sleep.

The deep constantly shifting hair finally seemed to settle on one color- a deep blood red.

Aial and Valas where one in the same person.

That morning Aial twisted and turned as she awoke and let out a sudden wince as she grabbed her chest- it hurt... maybe she'd slept on it funny again. With no indication or memory of what happened last night she slowly got to her feet and streched. She was staring- thirsty and strangely still somewhat tired.

It didn't take her long to dress and gather her things and make her way back downstairs and into the Inn's hearthroom.

She parted with a gold peice to pay for a small breakfast consisting of bacon, bread and some apples which she scarfed down whole heartedly.

The next few hours past fairly uneventfully as she inquired to a few patrons about her fathers murder when Garris finally made his appearance.

"Well there's my favourite She-elf... I hope you slept well."

"Slept like a baby."

Aial
01-03-07, 06:37 PM
It was a few mintues before Garris and Aial where settled onto a pair of stools near the bar. Aial bought Garris a heavy pint of ale as well as herself which greatly improved both there moods. There was very little small talk bettween them before the point of notice became subect to conversation again.

"So Garris what did you find."

Garris raised his hand to stop her before downing his ale all at once. The following burp- she found was impressive... the bar actually shook.

"Ok- now your mystery men was here- he stayed only long enough to buy a wagon to take him down the road. He's looking for an airship to get off this island. Now as for general information I know he's headed north and theres only one town out that way. He's an elf- beleive it or not- about 6'0 and 165lbs stark white hair... long and somewhat aged looking. Which is impressive for an elf." he nodded thoughtfully before looking at Aial with a proud smile to see her reaction.

She stood frozen in time- her mind already throwing up a mently recreated image of her fathers killer that she could use in her visualizations. Garris tapping her arm caught her attention.

"Oh- how much?"

"We'll call it seven gold." he gave her a strangely friendly smile as she imparted on him his payment.

"Anything else."

"Aye. He also picked up a book from one of the Landis Archives churches here. Which is strange..."

"How so?"

"Not many know about the archive and the few who do won't tell easily. I know because... well... it burned down last night- and your man left this morning. Imagin that? Either way from my understanding is he's taken the book and is planning on getting out of here as soon as possible. He's in quite the rush." The dwarf was staring at Aial thoughtfully- waiting for her input.

"Thank you- you've been a great help Garris. I won't forget you- if you ever need a favour just send me a letter or something."

Garris gave a soft nod.

"Well. I need to go." She stood with surprising speed- scooping up her bag and was out the door before anyone knew she was leaving. Garris watched the door for a long moment as he fiddled with the gold coins in his hand. Blinking he suddenly turned to look again.

"Awww. Crap... I never got her name."

Aial
01-03-07, 06:38 PM
Things are getting simpler. Aial thought. She now had a destination and more to go on then just a few mummblings and assumptions. Provided Garris was telling the truth she had a series of names and destinations as well as a target. She would need to act fast to catch the man before he left the island- finding him would become a good deal harder when that happened.

Either way- she had a feeling it would be a good day.

[Ending Notes: 10 gold subtracted from her total amount as spent during the quest. No other rewards really except experience- if any.]

INDK
01-03-07, 09:55 PM
This thread was by no means bad, as much as it felt a bit rushed. I know you wrote the whole thing in a day, and it showed. A lot of points that could have been a bit crisper just weren’t. I feel like if you’d just read over the thread one more time, you would have seen things that while they made sense in your head as you were writing them, did not come across as well for a reader. However, do not be discouraged. 58 might not be the highest score in the world, but it is higher than most people get on their first quest on Althanas.

And the total is 58

Storyline

Continuity: 7.5. This was a strong area. Everything fell right into place, everyone had a purpose and motivation and the story arc was excellent as well.

Setting: 7. I would definitely have appreciated more interaction between the physical setting and the characters, your descriptions were particularly vibrant. A bit more work would have really made this pop.

Pacing: 4. The idea behind the different voices was fine, but the execution came as a bit choppy at times.

Character

Dialogue: 6.5. You used dialogue very well to further the plot. At times it was quite witty as well. Keep in mind though, dialogue does not just encompass the spoken aspects of a thread. Dialogue takes into account non verbal aspects of communication, and also times when not saying things are appropriate.

Action: 6. Everything in this thread seemed well thought out in terms of who your character was and what she was doing. The only reason I didn’t really score you higher here was that while you had

Persona: 6. I like the way you have Aial and Valas set up as such drastically different people.

Writing Style

Mechanics: 3. Watch your verb conjugations. I saw you seemed to have issues with a few of those, though it may have been typos and not mechanical mistakes. Either case, they are something you need to be mindful of. There were also some spelling stuff that could be corrected by typing your posts out in a word processing program like Word.

Techniques: 6. You seem to be quite creative, and that’s a good thing. The other areas are areas that you can improve on, or areas that will naturally get better as you get more practice in.

Clarity: 4. Don’t try to do so much at once. A lot of points, I felt like I was getting overloaded with information, but in ways that made me feel a bit confused.

Wild Card: 8. I’m giving you a higher score in Wild Card because I feel the rubric didn’t do you justice otherwise. This was a clever little thread. It wasn’t executed perfectly, but it was still quite clever.

Spoils
Aial receives 735 EXP and 200 GP
(it is customary that we give some gold after every thread, because we don’t have automatic GP after every post any more)

Cyrus the virus
01-03-07, 10:12 PM
EXP added!