PDA

View Full Version : Revival

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-03-07, 11:54 PM
Demon Army Headquarters, Xaliel, Haide

Zieg dil' Tulfried paced furiously throughout the massive room of the High General within the new Demon Army Headquarters in Haide. In his hand he held circular object about two inches in diameter. On the face of the object was a strange star with twenty-four points in front of three concentric circles. This gold object was taunting Zieg, mocking him, because he simply could not figure it out! Every time he picked it up he felt stronger, but it was not like any magic he had ever seen before. He had even taken the golden coin to Dera'losta'nofa, one of the famed Elven Weaponsmiths and he had been unable to identify the magic it held.

Zieg slammed the gold item down hard on the wooden desk, atop various reports and notices. Again, the second he released it, he felt weaker. He strode away from it, his only hand sliding through his crimson locks. The large demon was not wearing his customary armor, instead donning a simple blood red tunic. His hand bunched into a fist which he pounded into the wall.

Two souls sat on Zieg's large bed, staring silently up at the bewildered demon. The first was an eight year old child, Kaza, with platinum hair and beautiful blue eyes. The child of the demon general and a powerful sorcerer in his own right. He had even once been the all-powerful conduit for Destiny, one of the two most powerful elements in the universe. Now, though, he was back to his young self, though still left with incredible wisdom. The second was a small brown dog, Xeppa, Zieg's closest companion and best friend. The mutt could transform into a powerful Magim Beast, and was also Structure, an element, though not as strong as Destiny, still endowed with great power.

"What is this thing?" Zieg demanded of no one in particular. He stomped back to the desk and picked it up in his hand. He examined the image on it very closely. He tossed it gently through the air and it landed softly on the bed between Kaza and Xeppa. The half-demon boy picked it up in one hand and looked it over.

"I just cannot figure this thing out!" Zieg's ranting continued. "It is obviously endowed with some kind of magic, but it has no origin in any known society. Where does it come from? How does it work?!" The demon knight scratched idly at the stump where his left arm used to be.

"Wait a second, papa," Kaza said. "I recognize this sigil! It is of the Purifiers!" Zieg glared down on his son with his blood red eyes. "I don't know how I know it, whether it is left over from Destiny or from my studies, but this is one of the sigils of the old group the Purifiers. They were disbanded a while back, but if I remember correctly, their leader is still around, and an acquaintance of yours. Findelfin ap Fingolfin." Zieg took the gold sigil from his son and sat down in his chair.

"Findelfin."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Radasanth, Corone

The rains had come once again in Corone, and Radasanth was no exception from the downpour. The streets were muddied, but the people continued about their business. A trio had joined the normal hustle and bustle of the city, searching for an elf which had the answers they seeked. After misinformation led them to Jadet (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=3720), they were now on what was hopefully the correct path. Zieg was once again donning his famous blue and black titanium armor and carried the Gamygym and Rohtan at his sides. Kaza held his right hand tightly as the sloshed through the streets, while Xeppa slunk around their feet, trying to stay dry.

As they walked down the streets, the crowds parted. No one wanted to get in the way of the High General of the Demon Army of Haidia. No one wanted that large demon's wrath, so everyone merely stepped aside. Finally, he found the locale he was looking for, the supposed location of the elf Findelfin. It was a fairly upper class lodging resort, which was the primary reason why the owners of the establishment weren't too happy to see the burly demon enter through the front door.

"Sir, you cannot just barge in-" A rather snooty man with fine attire began to speak, but Zieg interrupted him.

"I must speak with Findelfin ap Fingolfin."

((CLOSED))

Sighter Tnailog
01-05-07, 12:57 PM
The sky was dim when Findelfin ap Fingolfin came into the stable. Normally the sun would have just risen, a fiery golden arc against the horizon. But this morning the air conspired against the day. The world itself seemed heavy and wet, like a piece of soaked fabric laid across a face.

"Thank God we're getting away from this place, Pelektar."

His horse made an unsatisfied noise as he laid his saddlebags across her muscled shoulders, as if to chastise him for introducing her to a particularly dreary day. But she took the burden as she always had. She seemed to share Findelfin's view of this particular inn. He stayed there because it was a safer place for an important person to sleep, but he had no use for the upperclass gits and self-important merchants who stayed here. They wore one's patience far too thin. He'd left his room with his payment on the mantle -- hopefully, the innkeeper wouldn't know he was gone until he was truly gone. He was always uncomfortable around that man, who seemed to exist in order to find new ways to charge his customers.

As the rain began to fall, Findelfin urged Pelektar out of the stable. Wrapping his cloak around him, he set off into the sunrise. Or at least where the sunrise should have been.

The day was still disgusting when Findelfin brought Pelektar to a halt outside a small roadside hut. The government of Radasanth had tried some time ago to put out these small shelters for travelers. Most of them were nothing more than a roof and two columns, but they provided some reprieve from the rain and the ground was at least drier than the muddy mire of the road.

Slipping off Pelektar and leading her underneath the stand, he put his hand on her side and sang a few bars of a song, almost muttered them. It was one of the more ingenious uses he'd found for a song he'd learned ages ago, the Fire Ring Requiem. In this weak form, it would warm his horse, and for at least the next few minutes the chill and damp would leave her. It was a small comfort he could give, but it kept her healthy and whole on the journeys they took together.

He was feeling like the world around him, but as he reached into the saddlebags for a bit of the dried biscuit and salted beef that sustained him on these journeys, the scant daylight seemed to melt into darkness. He had come into Radasanth to locate a small case in which six very important objects were hidden, six objects that had once belonged to him but had been lost during the sack of the Dome of Purity. He had found the box and bid his farewell to that place. And now, poking around in the saddlebag for a bit of food, he did not feel the box anywhere.

All thoughts of hunger gone, he patted Pelektar's side and said, "I'm sorry, my dear. It appears our rest won't last as long as I'd hoped. " He climbed reluctantly onto her back, spurring her back in the direction of the city. I must have left it in my room, he thought. I hope the innkeeper holds it for me. The inn had too many important customers to simply discard possessions left behind in rooms. At least he hoped.

He uncomfortably goaded his horse faster. You never know. You just never know.

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-05-07, 01:40 PM
The demon knight stood dripping in the doorway of the inn, demanding that he be allowed to see Findelfin. The innkeeper stood staring silently at the soaked demon, and seemed to wince each time a single droplet of water fell onto his wondrous carpet floor. Nothing had happened after Zieg had demanded to see the elf, and it was beginning to annoy him. The long nosed man continued to stare at the general, as though he did not know what to do with him.

"Sir," the finely dressed innkeeper finally said, "we cannot carry out your request. We cater to a very high class group that like their privacy. We cannot allow every rogue swordsman to barrel in here and see them. Lord Fingolfin cannot be bothered at this moment. I am going to have to ask you to leave." He nodded to two rather large swordsman and they hurried towards the demon knight to usher him out.

"Rogue swordsman?" Zieg shouted. He pulled his short sword, the Gamygym, from its sheath and held it out. The osmium blade burst into flames that seemed to caress it like a mother did a newborn. "Do you know who I am? I am Zieg dil' Tulfried, High General of the Demon Army of Haide. Unless you let me see Findelfin, I will bring the entire DEMON ARMY into Radasanth and will personally give the order to burn this place to the GROUND! Do you understand ME?" Zieg demanded to know. He had stepped forward with each step, ignoring the soldiers, and was then standing directly in front of the long nosed innkeeper. The poor upper class man did not look to well, he seemed to be shivering where he stood, unable to talk.

Kaza, standing patiently at the door where his father had left him, now stepped forward and took his father's other hand. Thankfully, the demon had another hand. His own inner flame created an arm of fire, and coupled with some excellent elven craftsmanship he was able to appear normal, at least while wearing his armor. Regardless of the circumstances, the act seemed to calm Zieg just a bit and he stepped back from the man, sheathing his blade.

"Sir." The innkeeper finally found his voice again. "My sincerest apologies. I will ask for Lord Fingolfin to join us here immediately." With another motion of his hand, he sent a bellhop to run up the stairs to Findelfin's room. A few moments later the young boy returned, carrying several gold coins and a strange box. He handed both to the innkeeper. "Terribly sorry, sir," he said to Zieg rather sheepishly. "It seems Lord Fingolfin has departed in the night. Though it appears he left this box behind." He handed it over to the High General without another thought, despite the fact that it did not belong to the demon.

Glancing over the wooden box, the armored demon instantly noticed five symbols engraved on the lid, arranged in an 'X' pattern. The very center symbol was the exact same one that was on the golden coin he had acquired. Of the other four, one was a cross, one was a metal disc, one appeared to be a ray of sunlight, and the final one was a strange spiral with arms. The clue he desperately needed to finding the source of the strange golden object, Zieg carefully worked the latch to open the lid of the box. Inside, he found green fabric. He handed the box to Kaza and pulled the fabric out. Unfurling it, he saw that it was a simple cape. Disappointed, he began to fold it again.

"Papa, there are locks in the bottom of this thing," Kaza said, excited. Zieg leaned down to look in the bottom of the box and, sure enough, five locks adorned the bottom of the wooden box, in the same pattern as the symbols on the lid. Smiling, Zieg had just one thing to say.

"We have to find Findelfin."

Sighter Tnailog
01-06-07, 11:30 PM
As he rode, the ugly day became uglier. The cold drops became a light drizzle, which within the hour had become outright rain. The big drops struck Findelfin's cloak soundlessly, absorbed immediately by the heavy grey fabric. I should have paid for the water-resistance. The damned enchantment was only a few silvers more. Everything he was wearing felt like lead, weighed down as it was by the nastiness of the day.

After another hour or so of steady riding, he finally came through the gates of Radasanth. There seemed to be less traffic on the main roads of Corone these days, though the reason was beyond him. Yet the city itself was as alive as ever, for despite the rainfall merchants still had wares to sell and people still had things to buy. "A city runs on these things three: silver, gold and a daily fee," he muttered to himself. It was an old rhyme, and fitting.

He navigated the streets slowly, making sure of his bearings. He knew Radasanth well enough, but not as well as he knew Eluriand or Anebrilith, or even Gisela. And getting lost in the wrong part of Radasanth wasn't intelligent, especially on a day as dreary as this. But he managed fine, mainly by following the crowds. The throng thinned as he approached the inn--it was in something of a better location, where fewer people wanted to muddy their fancy clothes by going out in the weather.

Dismounting, he handed Pelektar's reins to a gostler, slipping him a silver half-piece as the stablehand led the horse away. "I'll take the best care of her, Master Fingolfin. Shall I tell the innkeep you're here?" Findelfin recognized the man, whose name was Frank. He was polite and courteous; his voice held none of the gruffness found in stablehands on the outskirts of the city, and he seemed to care more for the horses than for his tip.

"There's no need for that, Frank. Just take good care of my Striker." Findelfin walked through the door adjoining the stable to the common room. Walking through a small hallway, mainly intended so that the mud and grime on a patron's boots would sully the hallway, not the elaborate interior.

As Findelfin entered the common room, his jaw nearly dropped in shock. There stood a figure he never expected to see again, or at least not here. And what...what...my cloak! His jaw, which had managed to at least stay closed, now clenched in anger.

"Please tell me, General, what business it is of yours to paw over those things which do not belong to you?" Findelfin took his drenched cloak from off his shoulders, tossing it on a hook near the entrance, then paced towards the demon. "I would appreciate it if you would turn over what is mine."

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-16-07, 04:38 PM
A gentle scent of smoke filtered into Zieg's nostrils as he stood in the lobby of the fine inn as one of the workers stirred the fire with a metal rod. The flames grew in size as the found more rich wood to burn. The heat filled the air and slowly but surely, Zieg was starting to drip-dry.

A loud voice from behind the demon caused him to turn around and come face to face with the elf he had needed to meet with. Taking the box from Kaza, he closed the lid and draped the cape over it. With a devilish smile, he stepped across the room to Findelfin and stretched his hand out to him.

The jittery innkeeper ran over between Zieg and Findelfin, his eyes wide in fear. "My apologies sir, he just came in and demanded to speak to you. Then he took your box! Please, sir, forgive me." Zieg glared at the human male, his blood red eyes penetrating deep into him. The man quieted instantly and retreated back to his desk, where he intently stared at his guest log.

Kaza and Xeppa silently crept up to stand beside Zieg as he gave the box to the eloquent elven man. "Master Findelfin, so good to see you again. Last time I saw you, the Facade was on the brink of war with just about every powerful group on Althanas. I do hope you have been well." The demon knight was putting on his most polite attitude, proving to all that he had both class and status. "I sincerely apologize about opening your box, it is just I was so excited when I saw the inscription on the top that I forgot my manners."

The young boy at his side meekly spoke up, his arm wrapped around his father's metal-covered leg. "We found a golden item engraved with the same twenty-four point symbol that is on the box. I remembered that it was a sunburst from the Purifiers, which led us to you." Kaza looked up to his father who pulled the golden sigil from his armor and held it up for Findelfin to see.

"I want to know what this is."

Sighter Tnailog
01-17-07, 04:36 PM
As the cape slipped back into the box and Zieg handed it over, Findelfin breathed an internal sigh of relief. He had no real reason to be angry at the Demon General for being curious...but the contents of that box were of great importance. Although he had no reason to suspect that anyone else knew of its contents, he wasn't sure. And he didn't want to risk it.

When he saw the item in Zieg's hand, though, he could scarce contain his surprise. He had to resist the urge to knock it away from the demon and take it back, but that wouldn't be polite; furthermore, he already had what he needed. Don't be greedy! He looked up at Zieg, and said, "You are quite right to guess that this has something to do with the Purifiers, Lord Tulfried, but I am afraid that this is not the place to talk about much else."

Findelfin, having put aside his desire for the object in Zieg's hand, was now anxious to leave. He had already wasted enough hours in what was a very tight schedule, and was perfectly content to leave Zieg in the dark concerning the sunburst. But a few words still echoed in his mind...the words of the Elder. "We are an order in shambles, Findelfin ap Fingolfin."

Realizing suddenly that he was wet, he pointed to a table close by the fireplace, "I would be glad to tell you more, if you would wait with me as I let the warmth dry me for a moment. Before we get to the meat of the matter, tell me what you have been doing since that fateful day in Salvar...did you know I very nearly died of exposure when I left that place? I forgot my coat, and soon found out why you don't want to forget your coat in Salvar..."

Findelfin trailed off as he sat, gesturing for Zieg to do the same. The elf general's charm had been turned up a notch. To get Zieg to follow him, it had to be.

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-20-07, 10:03 PM
The elf's strange reaction to his inquiry gave the demon an unsettling feeling in his gut. The strange trinket in his hand was obviously of particular value to Findelfin, which instantly put Zieg in the upper hand. He had no idea of what it was exactly that he held, but he was going to find out. The fact that it was of the Purifiers gave Zieg some idea of what it might be. He had once been a part of another group similar to the Purifiers of old, the Facade. The crests of the Facade had grant power beyond that of which the wearer normally had. He could only assume that it was the same for these Sunbursts.

Findelfin directed them to a table near the hearth, sitting close to the flames in order to dry himself. Prying his son from around his leg, he led the boy to the table. With one strong arm he hefted the boy up to straddle one of his legs as he sat. As always, Xeppa silently padded along with the demons and sat beneath the wooden chair. Zieg removed his horned helmet and sat it down on the table, revealing his crimson locks of hair and the diamond headband that adorned his head as a symbol of his power. This was a sign of deep respect for the elf, as the High General never removed his helmet for any who were beneath him. The helmet often incurred fear in those who saw him and even his piercing blood red eyes were less menacing without the helmet.

"To state everything that has happened to me since that fateful day in Salvar would take more precious time than you could possibly now, my elven friend. As I am sure you have heard, the demons have returned to the surface of the world and are now taking their place in the worldly scene." He impatiently spun the sigil on the table, slowly rotating it along its side as he spoke. "This has been met with heavy criticism both from a global view and from within demon circles. It has been a difficult journey, especially with one as young as Aidos on the throne. Fortunately, our cities are taking shape and we have been met with no resistance yet."

He paused for a moment and palmed the sigil. He stared intently at it, almost drawn in by its power. Then he looked up at Findelfin. "How do you fare, Master Findelfin? I hear that Alerar and Raiaera are on the brink of war once again and that the other nations are beginning to take sides. It would seem that you would be scurrying around trying to stop the onslaught before it begins. It is what you do best, is it not?" Zieg asked, referring to that day in Salvar.

Sighter Tnailog
01-22-07, 10:07 PM
Findelfin sat in the chair, letting the heat of the flames dry him out a bit. He actually didn't need the warmth -- he would be heading back out into that nasty day sooner or later. But he wanted the time to assess Zieg, and make a decision he had to make.

He had heard the tales of the arrival of the demons aboveground. He wasn't sure what he thought about that. Tel'Quessir had been watching the demon threat for years, but this time it seemed less a threat than before. Perhaps it was time to let the demons have their way...and having a nation to the west of Alerar might prove an excellent way of checking the power of the Dark Elves. But his concern could no longer be for Raiaera alone.

He listened carefully to what Zieg related, then said, "I will admit that I have defused more than one conflict. But I fear the war between Alerar and Raiaera may be beyond my skills. My last diplomatic mission to Ettermire did not have a happy ending, and my ability to be a mediator to Alerar is irreparably scarred."

He leaned forward, his face carefully studying Zieg's. "But when last we spoke, I told you of Duke Bealial in Haidia and his rise. This was before the Adventurer's Crown ended in fiasco, before Elralad Calil-Galdor of the Scholar Monks of Ai'Brone vanished, before the three collected pieces of the Turrea a Calan, almost within our grasp, disappeared. I still stand against those threats, although my knowledge is somewhat...broadened...since our last meeting."

Findelfin had made his decision, and so he made his offer. "The sunburst you hold is one of the ways we can stand against this rising power, but I am afraid I would prefer not to speak more here. I am headed now to one of the properties of the Baron of Radasanth, located near to the ridge of mountains southeast of the city. I am a guest at a party he is holding, and I cannot see him turning away any guest I bring, let alone the General of the Demon Army. If you come with me, I can tell you more of the sunbursts along the way."

Findelfin rose, shaking the last drops of water from his clothes. He was still uncomfortably damp, but at least now he had ceased dripping. He held out his hands in a noncommital gesture, and said, "What do you say, General? Will you accompany me on this road?"

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-24-07, 02:35 PM
Zieg silently listened as Findelfin explained his dilemma once again, speaking of Duke Bealial. The knight was unsure of how to react to the situation. He had spent practically all of his life in Haidia and had not heard a thing of this Duke, not even in myths or folk lore. The demon remembered very little of the conversation that had occurred in Salvar, but it seemed that the elf truly believed in what he spoke of.

The demon could relate to a powerful, controlling person coming into power, as he himself had been a subordinate under one. Khazzele had masqueraded as a demon for nearly eighty years, coming into power as a general within the Demon Army. He was in reality a human sorcerer and a powerful one at that, though Zieg had managed to kill him with the aid of some powerful allies. Not that death had stopped the sorcerer, he had taken over both Kaza and Xeppa, forcing Zieg to find a way to end the undead's existance forever. So Zieg could truly understand the fear that Findelfin held.

You should listen to him, Zieg, Xeppa chimed in his head. My opposite, Chaos, has been trying to free his primary champion for quite some time now. Bealial is one that can sow the seed of doubt and discord better than any I have ever seen, and if he is freed, I will be forced to pit my champion against his in an epic battle unlike any that has been seen for a long time now.

Who is your champion? The demon asked back, despite having a sinking suspicion about the answer.

You are, of course.

Rolling his eyes, Zieg picked up his helmet and situated it back onto his head. Lifting Kaza from his lap, he stood and prepared himself to make his return to the rain-drenched streets. Kaza pulled his black cloak around his body and raised the hood to protect his head. His tiny hand instantly found his father's and he was ready to go.

"After you, Findelfin."