PDA

View Full Version : About the Althanian Tongues

Ataraxis
01-04-07, 07:41 PM
To be succinct, I wish to know what real-world languages the Althanian tongues are based on, and which ones I can just wing. I know Fallien is based on Sanskrit (though my translations never even remotely resemble the dialogue I see in Ira Shinkara's posts). What is Salvic inspired from, and are Elven/High Elven, Drow and Dwarven the same as in most fantasy books?

hamnat
01-04-07, 08:43 PM
Well, as Shen and Mac would have you know, Dwarvish and Elvish are two totally different languages with the odd similarity here and there.

Dukrav is, in fact, much like the language that most dwarves use in other books because, although it is a dialect of Dwarvish, the words are extremely similar to their Elvish counterparts due to the close relations between the two cultures.

Also, Old Daimonic(the magic-tongue) is something like a warped Old Latin, but mostly in background, not actual language.

As for the native tongues, I can't tell you much...Im a Scarabrian elfy girl, through and through.

Ataraxis
01-04-07, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the answer, Hamnat!

Basically, I was going for the Tolkien Elven and Dwarven, so I guess that applies to what you said!

And for Drow, I think I'll use this translator: http://www.grey-company.org/Maerdyn/resources/translator/

Still need to know about the native tongues, though!

The Valkyrie
01-04-07, 09:55 PM
You are right about Fallien - here is the translator I use (which includes Sanskrit, Tamil, and Pahlavi languages) and I believe so does Ira/Witchy:

Click ME! (http://webapps.uni-koeln.de/tamil/)

Ataraxis
01-04-07, 10:15 PM
Yes, I have it bookmarked! :D

But in 'The Fire, Baby, It will Burn us Both' I can't get the same translation with this one. Perhaps I'm using it wrong. For example, I can't find 'siahd' or 'kratos', though I guess they mean 'stranger' and 'back'.

Elrundir
01-04-07, 10:29 PM
Raiaeran Elvish is the same as Tolkien Elvish, yes.

Ataraxis
01-04-07, 10:41 PM
Thank you Elrundir! Just a few more and I'll be set. Well just Salvic, really. I'm assuming Dwarven s also Tolkien Dwarven. http://www.delving.com/helge.html seems about right.

AdventWings
01-04-07, 10:45 PM
Native languages as in...?

As far as I'm concerned, Tradespeak is usually taken as "Standard English" whereas it could be considered that Scara Brae uses similar dialect - most people don't make them any different from each other. Akashiman (the language of the Akashima people in COrone) could be considered a slightly more pronouced variant in dialect. Like how Australian is to American English.

Drow is... Well, Drow. Use the Tolkein-verstion translator for that. Elven is also Tolkein-based, but I'll have to ask Sighter Tnailog to confirm that. Salvic... I'll have to ask the Salvar continent writer and I'll return here shortly.

Fallien is taken care of... So what's left? Oh, right. Haide/Tular Plains. ...I'm not being helpful...

And Dwarven, you can just use Tolkein Dwarven.

As for other native languages that are not predominant ones, you can just wing that for the most parts. :)

EDIT: Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Zieg! :D

Zieg dil' Tulfried
01-04-07, 10:54 PM
Haidian languages are very similar to the slavic and germanic languages. Very gutteral and deep. Really no translations, since most demons speak tradespeak rather fluently and many speak that instead to be more welcomed by the overworlders.

Ataraxis
01-04-07, 11:07 PM
Aaah, thanks for the help Advent! Yes, Salvic is a bit problematic, as I've found no hint to what it remotely resembles.

And I've not even thought of Haide! That's one more XD

And for the rest, that was my intention!

Edit:

Oh, thanks Zieg! Now that I think about it, makes sense, what with the cold and all. Would Salvic be more along the lines of contemporary german, or something like old-world norse? Or does it really not matter much?

Kell
01-05-07, 02:34 AM
ice elf (from my other character mia) is actualy going to be derived from Navajo, and kell here speaks the three differnt feline languages ( to them its you know like house cats talking, but the three differnt branches are like british english, there is proper english, common english and street talk english)

Cyrus the virus
01-05-07, 03:21 AM
Izvilvin is like totally the original non-common-speaking guy. He's so awesome.

Ithermoss
01-05-07, 10:18 AM
Tongues?! Who said tongues. I am accepting donations, you know.

Ataraxis
01-05-07, 12:19 PM
Thanks Kell, this gives me more prospective languages to learn :D

Cy, Vith'rell d' has'trasen! <3

I was actually wondering when you'd come around to say that, Ith. XD Sadly, you'll have to make do with cow tongues, and perhaps this tongue-in-cheek comment.

The Valkyrie
01-05-07, 12:44 PM
Oh, hey, about the words Ira uses that don't translate: Don't forget that she's of a tribe that's only vaguely related to the Fallien people --- they kinda lead seperate lives, and only recently even acknowledged Jya and Fallien as their people. I'm sure they speak, if nothing else, a different dialect, if not a different language, those crazy Calerians of Astaka...

Ataraxis
01-05-07, 12:55 PM
Aaah, that does make sense! In that case, I'll just use the link you provided like I should have.

Now I'll just be waiting for Advent's update.

Sighter Tnailog
01-05-07, 01:17 PM
For the record, while Raiaeran Elvish and Tolkien Elvish are very close, I use one caveat...

I try to avoid using words that are well-known. For instance, the word "Elessar" actually means "Elf Stone." If I wanted to call a place "Elf Stone," though, I would go with "Edhel Ondo." Why? Because it's fairly well-known that "Elessar" is also part of the name of Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. When things are like that, try to be more prudent with using Tolkien's work.

Cyrus the virus
01-05-07, 04:06 PM
Gaer zhah natha Ilythiiri xan'ss whol vith'rell?

Ataraxis
01-05-07, 04:32 PM
Siyo gaer zhah! Vel'bolen zhah jivvin yol gaer zhah naut uss whol 'temperance'.

Cyrus the virus
01-05-07, 04:57 PM
+ a myriad of other words the damn thing needs.

Weeee!

Ataraxis
01-05-07, 05:29 PM
Hell yes. But it's better than nothing, for now anyway.

hamnat
01-05-07, 08:41 PM
[from hamnat]*falls to the floor in a bow*TEACH ME, OH MASTERS!! I SURRENDER MYSELF TO YOUR SUPERIOR ELVISH!!![/from hamnat]

Shen: *cocks eyebrow* Oh, get a grip on yourself!

Hamnat: Arelianto nacshima turesco notumne!!

Shen: Sacriste nus alotari tukeran alshigre malcust. Metch tonam cueresto mycara eijwe!!

Hamnat: Ere-*bonk*....*thud*

Shen: Cere sunta...Silence...*sighs in contentment*

Ataraxis
01-05-07, 10:00 PM
Mea amicia, rabida es.

The Madd Hatter
01-05-07, 10:41 PM
Would a Demon speaking German be fine, then? haha

Because I am seriously wondering what it would sound like if you listened in to a conversation in a demonic tavern.

hamnat
01-05-07, 11:13 PM
Mea amicia, rabida es.

Shen:*eye twitches* "RABIDA"?!!? ANOSTARCKE SUNA "RABIDA"!!!!

Hamnat:*clonks dowel on Shen's head* Can't go wrong with several years of stave training and naturally quite footfalls!(I mean that...it can be pretty nice)

AdventWings
01-06-07, 08:37 AM
Alright, I'll just sum up the different Althanian Languages and the corresponding Language we use to portray it.

This list may end up official, but that is another story to worry about. I don't see why not, though. ;)

Akashiman - Japanese with Osaka accent

Calerian - Variant of Sanskrit, Tamil and Pahvali

Daemonic - Slavic/Germainic

Drow - D&D/R.A. Salvadore's Drow

Dwarven - Tolkein-ish Dwarven

Elven - Tolkein-ish Elven

Fallien - Sanskrit, Tamil and Pahvali

Tradespeak - Proper English

Tradespeak - Akashiman Dialect - Japanese-English fusion (Sometimes the verb ends the sentence)

Salvic - Russian and Eastern European languages

So... That's how much we know right now. Enjoy winging the rest! :D

EDIT: There's also the Nihongo language, which is obviously Japanese. So far, the only person who knows Nihongo is Reiko's character Kit. Oh, wait. It's Ki now. Sorry. :D

ADD: *Glances at Hamnat and Shen before heaving a sigh*

Well, that's what you get if you don't keep your MPD in check. I should know.

Ithermoss
01-06-07, 09:05 AM
I wasn't under the impression that "Drow" were featured in Tolkein's works... I thought that was more AD&D.

I was actually wondering when you'd come around to say that, Ith. XD Sadly, you'll have to make do with cow tongues, and perhaps this tongue-in-cheek comment.

;) I hate to dissapoint.

Ther
01-06-07, 12:22 PM
There are Dark Elves in Tolkien's works, but the Drow as most fantasy buffs know them today are based off of D&D and more specifically based off of R.A. Salvatore's portrayals.

Sighter Tnailog
01-06-07, 12:40 PM
"Dark Elves" in Tolkien are defined merely as elves that did not see the light of the two trees in Valinor. They are the exact same race, with almost all the same characteristics. They are divided in language -- Dark Elves speak mainly Sindarin, while High Elves speak Quenya -- but the language of Raiaera uses a liberal mixture of Sindarin and Quenya, and I don't know as Sindarin, even though it's Dark Elven, is rough enough around the edges to suit the Dark Elves of Althanas. Tolkien always thought that Sindarin was actually the more beautiful of the two.

Zook Murnig
01-06-07, 01:48 PM
I guess, technically, Caduceus speaks a language of his own when using his magic. In reality, he uses the divine names of God from the real Qabbalah and speaks Hebrew. I'm still debating whether to eventually use the actual Hebrew letters, but even if I do, for the sake of pronunciation, I'll still show what they mean.

Ashiakin
01-06-07, 11:36 PM
Whenever I imagine people speaking Salvic, I image it sounding like Russian or an Eastern European language. To be honest, though, I haven't been consistent in naming things in Salvar in that fashion, so it's not a big deal. But if you want to use words or place or people names that are "Salvic" sounding, just keep Russia and Eastern Europe in mind.

Ataraxis
01-06-07, 11:48 PM
Ah, thank you, Ashiakin! Now I've got all the information I need to make Lily walk her very strange path!

If anyone else has languages they want the population of Althanas to know about, keep on posting here!

The Valkyrie
01-07-07, 12:00 AM
Wow, Ashiakin, it's fortunate for me that you say that, since Natalya (my other character) is from Berevar, and I've always imagined her with a Russian accent (and she has a very Russian name). What a great coincidence - awesomeness.

Raelyse
01-07-07, 12:03 AM
I love Althanian tongues. Specifically Natalya's. It's very similar to French.

Koran
01-07-07, 12:07 AM
Sweet. My character will now learn a butchered form of Russian and former Eastern Block languages!

Noice.