PDA

View Full Version : What Lies Past

PainTrain16
01-10-07, 11:55 PM
OOC:This is a closed quest for Selene Freemont

“Selene, can you take care of the plate ware? It needs to be washed.”

“Yes mother” Selene pushed her chair away from the table and stood to her feet, gathering the plates that were smeared with the remains of what was bread and fish. Clattering them in a stack, she made her way to the front door, snatching the old rag that hung by the window. Pushing open the door with her foot, Selene ventured into the twilight evening.

It was a truly beautiful time of day. Everyone was settling down for the upcoming night, and the sun left its gorgeous mark on the western skies; a purplish-orange smeared with yellow and fiery red. Captivated by the beauty of everything, Selene mindlessly walked to the stream which ran gently past the house. Wading in several feet, it was only until the warm water was past her ankles that Selene realized what she was doing. A flush of red filling her cheeks, she stepped back out of the water, and kneeled down.

Resting the stack of plates next to her, she grabbed the top one and dunked it into the water. Something about the sound of the water was relaxing and slightly revitalizing to Selene as she rinsed the dinner ware, taking her time to enjoy her surroundings. After several minutes she had nearly finished with the batch, but had no desire to return indoors just yet. Soaking the last plate one last time, she pulled it from its watery chasm and dried it meticulously with the worn old rag. Placing it gently back on top of the stack, Selene fell back on her elbows, gazing at the thick line of trees that encircled the house. Closing her eyes, she let her mind wander.

Picking up several random words that her mother was thinking Selene quickly snapped away. She did not like the idea of being in other people’s heads. It was not right. Ashamed, she sat back up, trying to block out the idea of not only her ability to read other’s thoughts, but also the words she had heard in her mother’s head.

It couldn’t have been mother. She doesn’t—

Selene’s line of thought was broken as she heard something in the trees. There was the sound of snapping twigs, and hurried footsteps. Standing quickly to her feet, Selene stretched her eyes, searching for some unseen person.

Silence.

Selene had an idea. Closing her eyes once more, she focused her thoughts, searching for another consciousness. She heard her mother again; this time her thoughts were about a book she happened to be reading. Pushing past her, she continued, delving deeper. She could feel something, like a small spark. It steadily grew fainter the more she tried.

It’s moving.

Leaving the recently cleaned plates, Selene hopped across the stream and ran towards the woods. Breaking through the tree line, Selene was almost instantly bathed in darkness. Being so dense, the trees let little light past their grasp. Ignoring her unfriendly surroundings, Selene continued to sprint deeper into the forest. Stopping next to a tree that was snapped in half, Selene closed her eyes again, focusing her energy on finding whoever was running away. Again she heard her mother, but this time barely, almost as if it was a whisper. Then she heard it. She could only pick out certain words, as the signal was constantly disrupted, but it was clear enough.

I…inform…girl…necklace…Melina…hurry…th e key…angels…must…kill…kill…kill…kill!

Selene’s eyes snapped open as she fell backwards into a tree. Frantically looking around for the person whose thoughts she was listening to, Selene pulled herself to her feet.

I’m not safe here.

Selene began to run. She had no idea of which way she had come, but it didn’t matter. The trees had since become even darker, leaving little room for sight. The sounds of crunching wood and shuffling feet were audible close behind Selene, as she blindly tore through the woods. Too terrified to turn and look at what was giving chase, Selene clenched her eyes and prayed for the best as she released her wings.

The pair of massive white wings flourished naturally from her back. Flexing them close to her body, Selene waited for an opening in the trees. From behind her she could hear the sound of throaty grunting as her assailant quickly gained ground. Feeling the breath of whatever was giving chase breathing down her neck, Selene decided it was now or never.

Giving a powerful thrash with her wings, Selene launched through the air. Keeping her wings tight against her body, Selene ripped through branches and other brush. Almost getting tangled in a set of resistant branches, she pulled herself through the melee and with another burst from her wings, soared into the night sky.

Way too close.

Selene felt a stinging pain as she hovered cautiously over the canopy. She had several scrapes and bruises on her arms, and her one leg had a nasty gash down the left side, spilling blood. There was a loud screeching sound from below, and suddenly something erupted from the body of the forest.

A black beast, with two curved horns protruding from its head, glided menacingly in front of Selene. Two leathery black wings thrashed wildly, keeping the impish creature airborne. Its smug face glared at Selene, embedded with a nasty smirk. The beast’s eyes, red with redemption, feasted on Selene’s form; it was clearly pleased with how she looked. Clenching two scaly fists, the creature let out a shrill laugh and rocketed toward Selene.

Caught completely off guard, Selene was dealt a brutal blow in the stomach, sending her reeling over the tree line. As she flipped entirely over, she regained her balance, utilizing her wings to keep her steady. In the distance the black creature slowed his momentum and spun around. Letting out another laugh, the creature began his descent towards Selene.

“KILL!”

Selene carefully watched as her attacker approached, its head bowed in a ramming position. Pushing itself harder with several more thrusts of its wings, the creature was aiming to kill. Waiting until the last possible moment, Selene violently pushed her wings through the air, attempting to gain height on her adversary. As she rose, the beast flew straight underneath of her, clipping her right foot with one horn. It let out another shriek as it embedded itself in a nearby tree.

Taking advantage of her luck, Selene pushed herself through the air. Too disoriented to know which direction home was, she could only hope she was heading in the right direction.

Please be this way.

No more had she thought that as she heard the familiar grunts of the creature. It was much quicker then Selene, and had something she didn’t; claws. Selene felt a searing pain in her back as the creature dug viciously into her. She felt her robe slowly tear apart in the back, creating a large hole in the cloth. The creature, too intent with looking at Selene’s bare skin, was caught unaware as she kicked with her feet, connecting with its jaw.

“No one looks at me like that” Selene choked out angrily as she gained distance between her and the beast. She almost fell from the sky as she heard the creature reply back in a grunting tone.

“You will be nice fresh meat for me and my companions” with a smile he flapped his wings and gave chase. “In more than one way.”

Selene felt herself growing weak. She had been flying for several minutes, and the sore muscles in her wings were drained. The only thing that kept her airborne was the slowly dissipating supply of adrenaline. Suddenly the body of trees opened into a clearing. Selene wasted no time in gliding towards the ground, collapsing into a pile on the grassy opening. In a matter of seconds the sound of the creature’s leathery wings flapping through the air greeted her ears.

The beast landed with a thud several paces in front of Selene. Clearly enjoying every minute of his little adventure, the creature limped towards Selene. Looking down, she noticed a large wooden twig sticking through his left ankle.

“You will pay for this, human!” it grunted as it approached her disheveled form. Quickly trying to get to her feet, Selene slipped and fell back again. The creature could only laugh as he came closer. “So you want it just like your mother?” Selene looked up at the creature intently at the mention of her mother. “You look even better than she does” Selene flushed red with anger, pulling her ragged robe tightly over her shoulders. The creature growled enthusiastically at her. “You’ll probably scream just like she did, won’t you?” Leaning down face to face with Selene, the creature flicked his tongue at her. “This is going to be fun!”

“YOU SHALL NOT TOUCH HER!” Selene didn’t have time to turn around to see who had spoken, as a white beam of light launched past her face, searing through the creature like butter. It let out another shriek as white flames burst out upon its skin, licking away the scaly flesh. Selene backed away as far as she could, using her hands frantically. With one final shrill cackle, the creature disappeared and the night became silent. Not daring to turn around, Selene remained frozen on the ground, hoping that she wouldn’t meet the same fate.

“Selene” a gruff, yet familiar voice rang out in the night, “You are safe my child.” Selene suddenly recognized the voice.

Riveria.

A sudden reserve of energy filled Selene’s body as she picked herself up and ran to Riveria. Having spent all of her life with him, he was more of a father then anything else. Falling limply into his arms, Riveria held her as he would one of his own.

“It is okay child” Riveria said, stroking her hair, his blind eyes staring off into the distance, “It is gone Selene.” Selene lifted her head from Riveria’s now tear-stained chest.

“How did—“

“Not now Selene. There will be a time when I tell you everything.” He paused as if contemplating his words, “but…not now” Riveria let out a deep sigh. “Come, let’s get you home.”

PainTrain16
01-11-07, 01:41 PM
“Selene”

Where am I?

“Come’on babe, you’ve got to get up”

Up? What happened?

“I’ve got some fresh ham and toast in the den for you”

My whole body…aches

Opening her eyes slowly, Selene gazed up at the ceiling. It was slightly discolored and crudely made, but it kept the room from collapsing. Rolling on her side, Selene felt a sharp cramp grow in her lower back. Wincing under the pain, Selene pulled her legs up close to her chest. The pain gradually dispersed into other parts of her body, causing several more cramps. Clenching her stomach with her hands, Selene rolled to her other side, the sheets becoming tangled and lumpy under her sweating body.

A brilliant light was shinning brightly through the window next to her bed, creating strange shadows on the floor and walls. Closing her eyes from the bright light, Selene tried to fall back asleep, with no success. Finally giving up, Selene rolled back to her other side. The pain had all but subsided as she slowly placed her feet on the floor. The stone slab that made up her bedroom floor was cold from the night before. Ignoring its frosty touch, Selene pushed herself up. It was only after several seconds of staring blankly at the wall, that Selene realized that she was not wearing any clothes. Quickly grasping one of the sheets from her bed, she threw it over her nude form, her face red with embarrassment. Striding quickly over to the chest where her robe and other garments were generally stored, Selene quickly gathered what clothing she could.

Adorning her slender body in a white robe, Selene grabbed her sandals and slipped them on her feet. Placing the stolen sheet back on the lumpy covers, Selene walked to the door. Pushing it open with one hand, she replaced it across her chest, straining to stay warm in the chilly house. Her mother was busy at a cutting board, slicing meat and soaking it in a large bowl that rested nearby. Riveria was nowhere in sight, but the table was set for three. Sitting down in her usual spot, Selene looked to her mother.

“Where is he mother?” Her mother stopped slicing the meat, staring unconsciously down at the counter.

“He said he’d be back sometime this morning.” She stopped, turning to face Selene, “He said he needed to go talk with someone. Mentioned something about us being safe, that they wouldn’t return. At least not for several days.” She moved towards Selene, taking her hand. “I don’t know what’s after us…but I can tell that it’s not good.” Selene stood to her feet, throwing her arms around her mother. There they stood for several minutes, holding each other.

It wasn’t until they were met with the familiar creaking sound of the front door opening, that they released their hold on one another. Riveria slowly hobbled in, clearly tired from the past day’s escapades. Finding his chair with his cane, he sat down wearily. Taking a deep breath, he slowly exhaled the stale air.

“Please, sit my children.” Selene squeezed her mother’s hand and took her seat. Her mother quickly sliced several more chunks of meat and dunked them in the bowl, letting them soak. Grabbing the platter of ham and toast she returned to the table, serving Riveria and then Selene. Taking a slim slice for herself, she daintily cut the meat in perfect sections. Selene giggled under her breath at the sight of her mother trying to be so refined. It was only after several minutes of silence, only broken by the scraping of wooden utensils on plates, that Riveria spoke.

“Selene,” he began, setting his fork down, and taking a sip of the mint cordial in front of him, “You remember what happened last night.” Selene felt her face flush slightly at the thought of everything that had transpired.

“Y…yes”

“There was a reason why that demon was—“

“Demon!?” Selene’s mother couldn’t contain herself. “What are you talking about Riveria? I thought you said—“

“I know what I said Rebecca,” Riveria replied gruffly, yet gently, “But the demons are looking.” He stopped, picking his fork up and stabbing a fresh piece of meat. Placing it in his mouth, he chewed intently, thinking to himself. With a triumphant swallow, he continued.

“They are looking for the key.” Selene looked from Riveria to her mother, and back to Riveria. “The key that is said to lead to the Ang—” He was cut off abruptly with a loud rapping at the door. Grunting under her breath, Riveria stood to his feet. “Apologies. It’s for me.”

Making his way slowly to the door, the knocking came again, this time followed with a “’ello!?”

“Calm down mate! I’m coming near fast as I can” Reaching the door, Riveria fumbled, trying to find the handle. Grasping it tightly, he pulled it open.

“Gree—”, the young boy who stood at the door stopped, as he saw Riveria’s blind eyes staring off in the distance. Composing himself, he tried again. “Uh, greetings sir. I come with news from Sirius.” Riveria jumped at the name, and quickly ushered the boy out the door, closing it securely behind them. Selene looked to her mother, clearly wanting answers. Her mother quickly stood, collecting the plates.

“Mother!?” Selene shouted angrily, “what is going on?” Her mother piled the plates on the counter and hurriedly dispersed to her room, leaving Selene alone in the kitchen. Taking a deep breath, Selene collapsed in her chair. Several minutes passed in silence as Selene, left to her thoughts, waited in the kitchen for Riveria to return. Suddenly there was another knock at the door. Wearily getting to her feet, Selene quickly traversed the floor to the doorstep. Opening it slowly, she was met by the timid features of the young boy who had knocked before.

“May I help you?” Selene asked wryly, keeping the door well between her and him. She saw his face turn red as he diverted his eyes.

“Yes, Ma’am…er, I mean, no…wait, uh…I have words, er, news for you.” The boy helplessly fumbled with word after word as Selene stared at him. Coughing weakly, he continued, “Master Riveria would like to see you out back when you are…finished with whatever you are doing.” He threw a shy glance at her to see if she had acknowledged his message.

“Thank you” Selene said with a smile. Nervously bowing, the boy quickly walked away. Leaving the house, Selene was greeted with the warm touch of sunlight. Smiling at the warmth that played on her skin, she made her way towards the back of the house. As she rounded the corner, she could she Riveria sitting upon a large stone, supporting himself with his cane. Selene approached him, taking a seat in the grass by his feet.

“Selene,” he began suddenly, “I can not pretend like you are not in danger.” Grasping his cane, he stood to his feet. Pacing around the lawn, he continued to speak. “These demons…they want something that you have. I have been in touch with an old,” Riveria paused, “acquaintance, and he is busy as we speak doing intensive research. There are legends about a door, said to separate the human realm from the angelic realm.”

“This door can only be opened by guardian angels, or, someone who holds the key.” Riveria stopped his pacing, and turned his eyes to the sky. “We believe you might be the key.”

PainTrain16
01-11-07, 05:26 PM
Selene had hundreds of questions running through her head, but when she opened her mouth to speak, no words came out. Walking over to her, Riveria leaned down, grabbing her shoulder with his hands.

“This is a lot to take in Selene, which is why I can not tell you everything,” removing his hands from her shoulders, he stood back up, “But right now you must learn, Selene. You must learn ways to defend yourself from them. I can te—”

“Riveria!” Selene’s thoughts were pushed aside as a new voice echoed into the conversation. Turning her head, Selene saw the figure of a man; tall and lean. He was dressed in a long leather coat which fell all the way to his ankles. His half buttoned shirt and tight pants were also shades of black and red. Brushing his jet black locks from his eyes, the man proceeded forward.

“Your old wizard tricks will not help her.” The closer the man got, the more distinguished his features became. His chiseled jaw-line and thick stubble gave him a heroic look, even if his attitude proved otherwise.

“Silence Sirius, I will teach her what I believe she needs to know in order to survive! Not foolish sword play.” Riveria clenched his jaw, trying to hold back from attacking Sirius. “You will be patient and if there is time when we are finished,” he stopped, thinking about what he was about to say, “then perhaps you may teach her a few things.” Sirius smiled menacingly, and then turned his attention to Selene. Running his eyes up and down her body, the smirk on his face grew.

“My, my, aren’t you a looker.” There was a clatter as Riveria’s cane fell to the ground. With incredible speed, he was on Sirius in seconds. Grasping his throat tightly, Riveria held his other hand inches from his face, ready to blast it apart at any second.

“If you ever say that to her again, I will kill you.” Sirius pushed Riveria away from him violently. Fixing his disheveled coat, Sirius smiled weakly, pretending he wasn’t threatened.

“You watch yourself old man.” Taking a seat on an old wooden chair next to the house, Sirius watched silently. He wore a grim frown as Riveria began his lesson.

“Now,” Riveria spoke, offering his hand, “if you would be so kind to stand Selene.” Taking his hand, Selene pulled herself to her feet. “Demons have few weaknesses. Physical attacks,” Riveria stopped, throwing a dirty glance at Sirius, “have very little effect. One weakness they do have however…” Riveria held his right hand out in front of him. With the palm open towards the sky, he began to chant an incantation under his breath. Suddenly a burst of light erupted from his palm, and a glowing ball appeared in the air. “…is light.”

With a quick snap of his wrist, the ball rocketed through the air, embedding itself in a tree. It evaporated as quickly as it had appeared.

“As you can see,” Riveria said, pointing to the tree, “it has little to no effect on organisms of the light. Things such as plants…humans…wolves…they are acquainted with light’s entities, and therefore will generally not be harmed by it.” Quickly creating another ball, Riveria let it float gently above his hand. “But creatures of darkness, like the demon you encountered, will fall under light’s touch.” Riveria launched the ball at the tree again, but this time as he thrust it forward, he muttered another spell under his breath.

It carved through the tree as if it were a twig, snapping it brutally. “Of course,” he began as the tree came crashing down, “a powerful enough light spell can overpower even those that use it.” Selene stared wide-eyed at the charred remains of what used to be a tree. “You will not be able to wield such spells, especially at your age.” Riveria turned back to Selene. “But with some help, you might be able to create light.”

“I’m not su—”

“Do not have doubt my child. That is the worst possible thing to have.” Riveria made his way closer to Selene. “Hold out your arm like I was earlier.” Selene reluctantly raised her arm, holding it perpendicular to her body. “I’m going to tell you the words Selene, but before I do there is something you must know.” Leaning in close, Riveria spoke intently. “You can only perform magic if you have the power to do so. It will drain your energy as if you physically were performing the task. It is of the utmost importance that you learn where your boundaries are Selene.”

“I don’t understand Riveria. What happens if I were to—” she didn’t have the chance to finish her sentence, as Riveria knew precisely what she was going to ask.

“You will die.”

PainTrain16
01-11-07, 07:30 PM
Selene listened closely as Riveria whispered the incantation to her.

Genevae overum de Kull

Repeating it in her head multiple times, Selene focused on the words. Blocking out every other thought and emotion, Selene visualized them in her head. Raising her hand, Selene opened her eyes. Staring at her palm, she ran the words through her head again. Riveria stepped back, giving her room.

“Genevae overum dee Kuul” Selene spoke out, staring expectantly at her hand. Nothing.

“The words must be exact Selene,” said Riveria with a nod, “try again.” Focusing again, Selene let the words flow through her head.

“Genevae overum de Kull” Selene felt an odd sensation; like something coursing through a vein down her arm. She felt a sudden surge of energy vent from her body, as a glowing white ball slowly appeared above her hand.

“You’re doing it Selene, keep going.” She felt another reserve of energy pass from her body, as the aura of light grew more opaque. There was an unusual warmth to it; like it was a small fire, burning brightly in her hands. Out of the corner of her eye, Selene could see Sirius stand to his feet in amazement. She smiled at the thought of out-doing him.

Yes, look you arrogant man. Riveria knows more than you could ever hope to learn in five lifetimes.

Feeling a surge of reassurance, Selene smiled widely. Concentrating deeply, she focused another spurt of energy into the ball. Not realizing that she was growing weaker with every second, Selene held the ball of light in the air like a coveted trophy. Feeling her legs become weak, Selene tried to stop the growth of the strange aura, but the more she tried, the more energy was sapped from her body. Panicking, she pitched her arm, sending the blast of energy flying through the air. Soaring past Sirius as he threw himself to the ground, the ball dissipated upon connecting with the house.

White faced, Sirius picked himself off the ground. Brushing off his pants, he straightened up quickly. He cleared his throat as he took his seat back on the chair. It was the last thing Selene saw as her vision clouded over and she collapsed on the ground.

PainTrain16
01-11-07, 08:51 PM
“Stupid old man, look what you did to her!”

“Shut up you fool, she has merely fainted.”

“You should have let me train her…at least I wouldn’t have killed her.”

“Sirius…the sole reason you are still standing here today is from what I did so many years ago. So if I were you, I would pay a little more respect.”

“I never asked for your help that day old man!”

“Well then, next time I will let the succubus Melina feast on your soul.”

“I—”

“Quiet, she’s waking up.”

Selene opened her eyes reluctantly. Riveria, his left hand clasped tightly over her forehead, stared at her, almost as if he could see again. Feeling his arms slide under her, Selene was lifted slowly. Hobbling slowly towards the house, Riveria’s breath came in short bursts; struggling to supply enough oxygen for his over-worked heart. Reaching her bed, he placed her gently onto the sheets. Her mother was already in a chair next to her, a bowl of warm water and a towel in her lap.

“Get some sleep Selene,” Riveria said as he caught his breath in the doorway, “You’ve had quite a long day.” He turned to leave the room but Selene stopped him.

“Riveria!” Selene sat up against the will of her mother. “When will you tell me the rest of what you know?” Riveria turned back towards the small bedroom, taking a few steps forward.

“When you are ready to hear it.” With that, he turned and left the room, ushering with him a peeping Sirius. As they dispersed sounds of more argument between the two was audible. Turning towards her mother, Selene closed her eyes in comfort. She felt as the moist rag was placed on her forehead, and immediately fell asleep.

PainTrain16
01-12-07, 10:54 PM
Shriiiiink!

BANG

Selene awoke suddenly. The darkness of her room, broken only by the dimly burning candle in the corner, made it difficult to discern much of anything. Pushing the warm sheets off her body, Selene slid her feet onto the floor.

What was…am I still dreaming?

Unsure, Selene stood, wincing as she did so.

Guess the effects of what I did are still lingering.

Carefully walking around the bed, Selene picked up the tin candleholder which holstered the almost diminished candle. Holding it above her head, she wearily made her way into the hallway. There was loud clanging sound as Selene cautiously moved down the hall, towards the kitchen. Halting against the wall, Selene stood quiet, listening for more sounds. Several minutes passed without anything. Fearing the return of her demon captives, Selene searched her mind for the words of Riveria’s incantation.

Geenve…de overm…no…Geneve de Kuul…no…

Her efforts were disrupted as a new sound became barely audible. Sliding away from the wall, Selene ventured slowly into the kitchen. A dull roar of conversation could be heard, emanating from past the front door. Not wanting to be noticed, Selene suffocated the candle, setting it gently on the table. Tip-toeing to the window, Selene rubbed the opaque frost away.

Standing outside were three men. Directly in front of the door, in plain view of Selene, was Riveria. His nose was wrinkled in frustration as the man next to him, Sirius, spoke. The third man, who was holding a lantern to light the discussion, had his back towards Selene. She couldn’t hear any of the words they were speaking, but Selene could tell Sirius was not very happy about something.

Suddenly, as if he could see, Riveria turned his head to the window. Selene almost fell on her backside as she hastily tried to hide herself.

What am I doing? He’s blind!

Composing herself, Selene moved back towards the window. Riveria’s attention had returned to whatever Sirius was saying, his hands flying animatedly in the air. Selene closed her eyes, attempting to read one of their thoughts. The dim sound of someone’s thoughts slowly crept into her mind, but after several seconds, Selene realized they were just her mother’s. Pushing them away, she focused harder on the three men.

A voice suddenly boomed inside her head.

“I would appreciate if you did not read the thoughts of me or my associates, Selene.”

Selene didn’t know what to say. Looking out the window, she could see Riveria had tilted his head towards the window again.

“Riveria, I’m so—”

“I understand your curiosity Selene, but for now I must ask that you leave us to our business.”

“Yes…of course…”

Breaking off the link between her and Riveria, Selene backed away from the window. Slowly creeping back to her room, Selene couldn’t help but feel scared. The things she had seen and heard in the past few days, and now this; secret meetings in the middle of the night. Sliding her body back between the sheets, Selene pulled them tightly over her shoulders. Rolling to her side, she reluctantly closed her eyes.

PainTrain16
01-13-07, 12:29 AM
Selene had been asleep for no more than ten minutes when there was a sudden commotion from the kitchen.

“We must stop wasting time! I need to see that necklace you old idiot!”

“As I have told you before Sirius, it can not be removed! We have trie—”

“Enough! I’ve had it with your trickery and weak lies.”

Selene sat up in her bed quickly.

Necklace?

Selene raised her arm to her neck, feeling the bronze trinket clasped tightly around it. Running her fingers over it, she held the sheets up over her chest as Sirius burst into the room. A cold sweat running down his face, Sirius cast a threatening glance at Selene. He was soon followed by a panting Riveria, who had been throwing curses at him as he hobbled down the hallway. The third man appeared shortly after. His face was visible only for a moment as Sirius proceeded forward, lantern in hand.

“Give me that necklace, girl” Sirius spat hurriedly, his free hand held open. “It holds a power that you—”

“Sirius!” Riveria yelled, rushing forward. “You will refrain yourself from these foolish escapades and return to the research I asked of you.” The other man took several steps forward, his face becoming visible to Selene.

It was a gentle face, full of love and kindness, and yet it held a hard edge to it; like it had been hurt before. Slightly pudgy, the man seemed to wobble more than walk. Looking first at Selene with kind eyes, he turned his gaze to the furious Sirius.

“Please,” he began softly, “this girl as been through more than she can handle in the past few days.” Reaching his hand up, he placed it slowly on Sirius’s shoulder. “Come’on lad, let’s head back to the inn and get some sleep. We can pick up your research where you left off tomorrow.” Unwillingly ripping his eyes from the necklace grasping Selene’s neck, Sirius turned and stormed out of the room. “I’ll make sure he doesn’t do something stupid.” With that the large man shuffled quickly out the doorway.

Bowing his head, Riveria scratched his scalp wearily. Selene saw several grey hairs glide gently to the floorboards. Raising his head he spoke quietly.

“I must apologize for the way Sirius acts. He knows not respect, but when his life is in danger.” Sitting on the bed, he continued. “I am also sorry for not being able to tell you what is going on, and what role you play in it all.” Sighing deeply, Riveria buried his face in his hands. He stayed that way for several minutes until finally he raised his head once again.

“As I told you before, these demons want the key to the angelic realm. I…we, believe that they may be planning some kind of attack. We believe their leader is a ruthless succubus who goes by the alias Melina. Back when…Sirius and I were engaged with the royal army, we had an encounter with her. If not for our combined efforts, we surely would have died.” Riveria paused, standing to his feet. “Sirius and I both despise the idea of being in each other’s debt, which is one of the many reasons that we bicker like small children.” Riveria chuckled quietly to himself. “It’s stupid, really.”

“Anyway, about this key; Sirius said that it is made of three parts. He still is working on discovering what the other two are, but he believes that your necklace,” Riveria paused, pointing at the bronze jewelry that adorned Selene’s neck, “is one of the pieces.”

Selene gaped open-mouthed at Riveria, trying to take in everything he was saying. Grasping the back of her necklace tightly, Selene pulled. Nothing.

“Riveria, it doesn’t co—”

“Yes, I know Selene.” Riveria replied. “You’ve had it since you were born, do not ask me how. Your mother and I have tried countless times to remove it, but to no avail. Over the years though, it as grown with your body, accustoming itself to the size of your neck.” Riveria took his seat back on the bed, smiling to himself.

“I can not even begin to imagine how absurd this must sound to you Selene.” Reaching behind his back, Riveria found Selene’s hand. Grasping it tightly he spoke solemnly to her. “I am truly sorry to say this my dear, but you are too far into this to ever get out. Unless if we can put an end to Melina,” Riveria paused, taking several long breaths, “then she will continue to pursue you until she receives what she wants.” Standing to his feet, Riveria walked to the doorway slowly. “As I’m sure you’ve discovered by now, the only way for her to do that…is to cut off your head.”

PainTrain16
01-13-07, 11:03 AM
Where am I now?

Selene wrinkled her nose to an odd smell festering in the air. Opening her eyes, she looked around. She was no longer in her bed. She felt weak and emotionally drained, although she wasn’t entirely sure why. She was in a dark room, the only light coming from two torches hung on either side of a lone doorway. Sitting on her knees, Selene felt the ground; it was mushy and had an odd texture. It was like mud, but there was something different about it.

Standing to her feet, Selene heard a loud clinking sound. Looking down, she noticed a thick chain fastened to her ankle. It was attached to a nearby wall, leaving little room for movement. As Selene bent down to inspect the rusty chain, she noticed several large bloodstains on her robe.

Where in hell am I!?

There was a sudden cackle from somewhere off in the dark.

“What a good question my dear, for Hell is precisely where you are!” Selene spun around, tripping on the chain. Her back hit the ground hard, causing her to cough on the air in her lungs. Composing herself as the pain slowly melted away, Selene sat up, looking for the voice. The silhouette of a woman formed in the doorway that was flanked with the torches.

“My, you are pretty.” The woman slowly sauntered forward into the light. Her skin, red as blood, was scaly and smooth. Her pretty face was obscured with two large horns the curled upwards, forming a crown. Her long ears resembled that of an elf, yet her body resembled that of a seductress; barely covered in leather patches and straps. Striding forward, her tail, forked like a trident, lashed wildly behind her. She had a sly smirk on her face as she stood over Selene. Leaning down, she met her eye to eye.

“Maybe once I kill you I’ll take your body.” Her eyes wandered down and back up, “It looks like fun!” Disgusted, Selene spat on her face. Smiling, the demon put her hand to her face, wiping the bubbly saliva off her scaly flesh. Licking her hand, she giggled and stood back up. “Yes, I believe I will, but I want to have a little more fun before I do that.” Walking towards the door she spun around quickly.

“Why, how rude of me, I didn’t introduce myself!” Smiling, the woman snapped her tail like whip. “My name is Melina.”

“Selene?”

“NO!” Selene opened her eyes, a cold sweat running down her face. Her mother wore a look of concern as she stood over her.

“Selene, you were having a nightmare”

“I need to see him mother!” Selene said as she tore from her bed, running to the hall.

“See who? Selene! It was just a dream!” Selene reached the door to Riveria’s room, knocking frantically.

“Riveria! Please, wake up…I need to see you!” Selene put her ear to the wooden frame, listening for signs of movement. Knocking again, Selene felt a tear stream down her face. “Riveria!? Please…please.” The door slowly creaked open; Riveria’s worn face appeared in the crack.

“What is it my child?”

“Riveria, I saw her.” Selene wiped the tear from her face, “I saw Melina.”

PainTrain16
01-13-07, 01:19 PM
Selene cupped the steaming mug in her hands, taking sips every few seconds. The honey cider felt like a warm blanket in her throat, and helped calm her nerves. Sniffling back a running nose, Selene looked up at Riveria who sat silently in the chair across the table. Her mother appeared next to him, filling his goblet with the warm liquid. Picking up the cup carefully, Riveria blew the top, making the steam billow out wildly in different directions. Taking a sip, he placed the cup back on the table. He waited for Selene’s mother to finish with the boiling kettle, and then began.

“There are a few things you must know about Melina.” Selene’s mother quickly silenced her chores and left the room, leaving them to their business. “She is what is known as a succubus.” Riveria picked his cup back up, taking a large swig. “Succubi are female demons that prey on men while they sleep. They seduce them in their dreams and have sexual intercourse with them, stealing away their life force.” Riveria took another large gulp of hot cider. “Sometimes they aim to steal the man’s seed, so they may pass it to another human in order that they may create more demonic followers, as demons are not capable of doing so themselves.” Riveria paused, clearing his throat. “But sometimes their aim is to steal away the man’s soul, leaving him lifeless.” He paused, and then reiterated, “Dead, Selene.”

Not sure how to respond, Selene sat quietly, sipping her steaming drink. Riveria cleared his throat again, clearly not comfortable talking to a young woman about demons who have sex with men.

“I realize that this must sound odd—”

“She felt so real.” Riveria stopped. Selene put her mug down, looking up at Riveria. “In my dream…I could feel everything like I was actually there. Her noxious breath, the way she talked, the way she walked…I could swear I was actually there.” Riveria dropped his cup, the hot contents pouring over the side of the table.

“Did she touch you!?” Riveria spat out, standing to his feet quickly. Selene was taken aback.

“Y…yes?” Selene replied quietly, afraid that Riveria would lash out at her.

“How!? I need to know Selene! Was there anything…sexual about it?”

“What? No! I mean…she kept talking about how much she liked my body, but…what is this about Riveria!?” Selene had stood up, backing away slightly.

“If she had touched you in a sexual way, it might mean that she was trying to perform her trick on you Selene.”

“I thought you said that they only had sex with m—”

“I know what I said Selene! But…perhaps…” Riveria paused, clearly in deep thought. “Perhaps like some women today, she has interest in those of the same sex.” Riveria clasped his forehead with his left hand, thinking about something. “I need to contact Sirius!” Running to his room, Riveria reappeared several seconds later, coat in hand.

“Riveria! Where are you goi—”

“You must come with me Selene. I need you to recount your dream to Sirius and me.”

“Riveria, I don’t understand.” Selene helplessly stared at Riveria, looking for an answer. Turning slowly, Riveria replied in a gently tone.

“If you come with me, then perhaps I will have the answers that you and I are looking for.” With that he opened the front door, beckoning Selene to follow him. Hesitating for a moment, Selene made up her mind and hurriedly followed Riveria out the door.

PainTrain16
01-13-07, 03:40 PM
“…She told me her name, and then I awoke.” Selene and Riveria had gotten to the inn slightly before sunrise. Having woken Sirius and the other man, they all dispersed to the small tavern next to the main lobby. Sitting down in the booth, Wilson Chesterfield, the name of pudgy man from the night before, went to get drinks and some sandwiches to eat. Sirius and Riveria listened quietly and intently as Selene recalled the dream.

“You are quite sure that she made no movements of any kind to…violate you?” Riveria spoke uneasily as he had done before. Selene shook her head.

“No. She seemed like she was trying to intimidate me, like I was a threat or something.” Selene looked at Sirius who had, surprisingly, been quiet throughout the entire tale. Looking up at Selene, he showed a look of which he rarely wore. It was a look of vulnerability. Riveria stopped bantering to himself as he too noticed the odd actions of Sirius.

“Sirius? Are you alright?” Sirius looked to the old man helplessly.

“I…Riveria…” Sirius said slowly, “do you remember when we were trapped in the cave…when we first saw Melina?” Riveria nodded his head gently.

“Yes.”

“Do you remember when I fell asleep?” Riveria froze, as if stopped by time. Pausing, Sirius spoke again. “She…came to me.” Sirius began to shake as he spoke, “I thought nothing of it at the time, just an erotic dream that my mind created.” He stopped, looking up at the ceiling. “I woke up before she was able to make me—”

“What happened!?” Riveria blurted out suddenly. “We need to compare it to Selene’s dream,” Sirius gave Riveria a wry look.

“Right old man, you probably just want to hear sex stories so you can get yo—”

“Shut up and tell us what happened!” Selene snapped suddenly. “Petty bickering is getting us nowhere, so I suggest one of you starts talking.” Sirius glared at Selene, furious that she would talk to him in such a manner. Swallowing his pride he began.

“I woke up and I was in a cell much like the one Selene described. My leg wasn’t chained to the floor…but my neck was.” Riveria crushed his eyebrows together in contemplation. Sirius noted the old man’s body language and stopped. Riveria waved his hand.

“Sorry, continue.”

“Well I was butt-naked and…covered with blood for some reason. She came in and I swear she was exactly as Selene described her. Red skin…curled horns…great brea— er, sorry. Suddenly everything changed. I was lying on a bed of thick blankets, and the blood was gone. She still stood in front of me, her body beckoning mine to it, but she looked different. Her horns were gone, and her skin was pale. She was wearing a scarlet dress that barely covered her sultry curves. Everything about her was a pure picture of perfection. The chains were gone, but for some reason I still couldn’t move, like they were just invisible. It was as if the entire thing was a giant illusion, and I was just a pawn.”

“So she created a fictitious environment that…fulfilled a fantasy of yours?” Riveria hypothesized, clasping his hands together on the table.

“I didn’t say that old man. I’m just telling you the story! Now, if I may continue?” Riveria remained silent; a cue for Sirius to speak. “She came to the bed and kept saying all these dirty things about what she wanted to do to me, and before I knew it, she was on top of me.” Sirius smiled to himself, clearly pleased with his false sexual prowess. “It was…great, her body was like—”

“Sirius,” Riveria began, stopping Sirius’ explicit sexual descriptions before they could start, “What happened when you were waking up?” Sirius closed his eyes, thinking back.

“She…I think she started yelling. Yes, yes, I remember. She began to scream wildly—”

“Not in pleasure” Selene noted under her breath.

“And I remember suddenly I was back in the dark cell. The blood had returned, and she looked like a demon again. She kept cackling out in this terrifying voice, and then,” Sirius paused, “I was awake.” He sat back in the booth, letting out a deep sigh. “That’s it.” Selene looked at Riveria.

“Seems like she’s straight to me.” But Riveria was not convinced.

“Why would she present herself to Selene in a dream, if not to do what she normally does?” Everyone remained quiet, pondering the question. Wilson came wobbling back to the table, several overflowing mugs and plates in hand. The innocent smile on his face was quickly washed away as Sirius snapped at him.

“Get that stupid smirk off your face and give me my liquor.”

“They were cleaned dry last night Sirius, they have no liquor.” Selene could’ve sworn Sirius was going to burst a blood vessel. Dropping his head to the table, Sirius closed his eyes in agony. He mumbled something incoherently about ‘incompetence’ and ‘old fools’. Squeezing into the booth, Wilson licked his lips excitedly.

“So,” he began, eagerly looking at the rest of the crew, “what’s the news?” Selene, Sirius, even Riveria gave him a blank look as he dug into his sandwich without hesitation. Standing to his feet, Sirius removed a slender pipe from his coat.

“I’ll be outside…smoking.”

PainTrain16
01-15-07, 05:42 PM
The events of the rest of the morning swept by quickly. Sitting in the booth for several hours, the three comrades, later joined again by Sirius, bickered back and forth about Melina and her intentions. Selene was not hungry enough to finish her sandwich, which was quickly gobbled down by Wilson. At the crest of noon, they departed, heading back to the house.

The day was unusually dark, as storm clouds blotted out the sunlight. The air, humid and thick, smelled of fish and potatoes.

“Storm’s a’coming.” Wilson mumbled with a mouthful of food. Selene folded her arms over her chest, trying to keep as warm as possible. In her haste leaving the house, she neglected to grab a coat. She felt a warm fur wrap gently over her shoulders as Riveria lent his to her. She opened her mouth to protest, but he insisted.

“Take it Selene. The cold will be good for my bones.” Selene smiled at Riveria’s cheesy lie. Pulling it tightly over her petite body, she could feel an immediate rush of warmth. A cold drop splattered harmlessly off of Selene’s nose. Looking to the sky, she received several more; one in the eye. Giggling to herself she blinked it out.

“I think it’s starting to rain.”

“Just great,” Sirius said, lifting his hand to the steady drops, “you know what would top this all off!? If Melina, the demon bitch herself, was here!”

“That’s enough Sirius.” Riveria scolded gruffly, “let’s just get inside.”

By the time they had gotten to the house, the rain had significantly picked up. Dripping miserably into the house, Riveria held the front door open for the others. Selene, a big smile planted on her face, gleefully followed him into the kitchen. She loved the sound of rain; there was something beautiful about its flow.

Sirius strode through the door, clearly not sharing Selene’s enthusiasm. Wiping away the black mane which was plastered to his face, he tore off his jacket angrily. Throwing it on the back of a nearby chair, he shook his legs, trying uselessly to dry them. The other two men wearily found seats at the table.

Selene entered her room gratefully. Pausing, she watched the waterfalls of raindrops cascading down the window. Smiling she closed the door and walked to the small chest next to the wall.

I should probably get out of these wet clothes.

Casting a glance at the door to make sure it was closed, Selene pulled off her soaking robe. It stuck eagerly to her skin in several places, but finally she was able to get it off. Feeling the cool air brush against her bare skin, Selene smiled. Walking over to the window, Selene looked at the reflection of her nude body.

I’m…hot!

Selene giggled at herself; she had never really taken a chance to look at her body, and now that she did, she liked what she saw. Playfully sauntering back to the chest, she opened it slowly, pulling a fresh white robe out.

“My dear girl, you look even better without that silly clothing on.”

Selene spun around towards the door, expecting to see Sirius spying on her. The door was closed tightly just as she had left it. Wrapping the robe around her chest, she ran to the window, her other hand covering her groin. Again, there was no one there.

“Come my dear, don’t tease; it isn’t nice you know.”

Selene suddenly recognized the voice.

Melina!

“He he, that’s right honey. Now if you show me yours I’ll show y—”

“Get out of my head!” Selene shouted as she pulled the robe past her waist and over her shoulders, running from the room. Before she could even reach the kitchen Riveria was already to his feet.

“What is it Selene!?” Riveria said, catching Selene in his arms. Sirius, too busy trying to wring out his jacket, ignored the commotion. Wilson, who had found where the food was kept, dropped the salty crackers he was munching on.

“She’s here!” Clarification was not needed as to whom she spoke of. Riveria gently pulled Selene out of his arms, grabbing his coat which hung on the wall.

“Sirius,” he began loudly, making his way to the door, “Come with me. Wilson,” Riveria stopped as he pushed the door open, a fresh fountain of water pouring down from the frame, “stay with Selene and Rebecca.” Wilson opened his mouth to speak, but Riveria disappeared into the torrent of water. Sirius looked at Selene, clearly not very thrilled to go back into the rain.

“You owe me for this.” He shouted at Selene as he threw on his jacket and followed Riveria out the door. Staring helplessly at the open door, Wilson looked to Selene.

“I…uh” Selene didn’t wait to hear what he had to say as she strode to her mother’s room. Pushing open the door, she quickly came to the bedside. Sitting in the small rocking chair next to the bed, she leaned forward. Placing a hand on her mother’s forehead, Selene felt oddly comforted. Letting the feelings of fear rush out of her body, Selene smiled as she looked at her mother’s pretty face.

Mother, how did you get so beautiful?

Selene smiled at the thought of her grandmother, and her mother, and her mother; all of which must have been just like hers; beautiful like angels. Selene suddenly snapped from her thoughts as she felt something moist. Lifting her hand from her mother, she could see several beads of sweat forming on her skin.

Mother?

Wiping her hand on her robe, Selene stood from the chair. Taking a shirt which was folded neatly in a pile, she opened the window. She doused the shirt with cold rain and closed the window tightly, gently wringing it out. Placing it carefully on her mother’s forehead, Selene sat back down.

It was quiet for many minutes until suddenly Selene heard something. It started softly, but over time began to grow. Looking up from her lap, Selene gazed around the room, expecting to find someone standing in the doorway. There was nothing there. Looking back to her mother, Selene found the source of the sound.

“No…no…no…no…” her mother steadily mumbled out in a slow rhythm. Selene could see the sweat on her face worsen, as her chant grew louder. “Please…no…no…no” Dropping from the chair to her knees, Selene hovered wearily over her mother, pressing the moist cloth tighter. Her mother kicked her legs suddenly, causing the sheets to become disheveled.

What dream is this that plagues your mind mother?

Another leg spasm pushed the sheets farther off her wriggling body. Not knowing what to do, Selene shouted for further help.

“Wilson!” there was no reply; only the steady sound of her mother. “WILSON!” Selene shouted angrily, standing to her feet. There was the sound of a toppling chair and scurrying feet, as Wilson’s face appeared in the doorway, bread crumbs nestled on his chin. “There’s something wrong with my mother!” Wilson watched in horror as Selene’s mother gave out a loud shriek and kicked again.

Selene felt tears begin to streak uncontrollably down her face as she tried to wake her mother with no success. Her mother’s chanting was growing louder and more painful to listen to.

“What am I supposed to do mother!?" Selene shouted, pounding her fist against the mattress. She let her head drop onto her mother’s chest. The dim sound of her quickly increasing heart rate soothed Selene, as she closed her eyes, thinking. Without consciously trying to do so, Selene found herself back in her mother’s thoughts, as she had accidentally done so many times before. It was unusually silent; as if there was a barrier blocking what was happening in her head. Suddenly, as if a door was opened, Selene could see everything.

It was dark, and she was standing behind a large farmhouse. Past the farmhouse, a small town was visible. Looking up at the moon, Selene wondered where she could possibly be. Her thoughts were broken as she heard a loud cry.

Mom!

Following the echoing yelp, Selene rounded the farmhouse and found herself standing in a large field. There, directly in front of her in a large pile of hay, was her mother. There was a man on top of her, two large wings sprouting from his bare back. The steady cry of her mother was audible over the gruff moans of the man on top of her.

Selene stared open-mouthed as the man looked up at her. A wide grin spread across his face, as he continued violating her mother. Selene recognized the smirk immediately.

Melina!

PainTrain16
01-16-07, 04:02 PM
Selene tried to move towards her mother, but couldn’t. Looking down, she noticed that her body wasn’t there.

What the he—

“Foolish girl, you’re not actually here, just your mind is.”

Selene looked back to Melina who had picked up her pace, thrusting faster with a loud moan. Her mother, who had passed out, lay limply in the hay, Melina’s fake body forcing itself into her.

“If you actually understood your powers, you would have known that.”

Melina stopped talking temporarily to let out a groan

“There’s nothing you can do to stop me sweetie…you might as well accept it.”

“MOTHER!” Selene screamed loudly, hoping to wake her from the nightmare. “MOTHER, PLEASE WAKE UP!”

“She can’t hear you. I know you’re eager honey, but just be patient…you’re next”

Selene wasn’t sure what happened next. There was a sudden jerk as her body began to fall backwards. Her vision became cloudy and blurred as she felt a cold burst of air pass over her body. The last thing she could see was Melina arching her back, her eyes squeezed tightly closed and her mouth open in ecstasy. There was a sudden booming in her head, as she felt herself land on hard wood.

There were shouting voices and loud footsteps echoing through her head, but Selene couldn’t distinguish any of them; her mind was still stuck on the image of her mother being raped by a demon. Barely able to open her eyes, Selene saw Sirius standing over her, carrying her out into the hallway. Letting her head roll to the side she could see Riveria kneeling over her mother’s unconscious body, barking commands at a clueless Wilson. Every sound, every image, every smell, every feeling, every thought in Selene’s brain was indiscernibly blurred into one as she closed her eyes and tried to push the memory of Melina’s acts out of her mind.

It was only until she felt the familiar patter of rain on her face that she opened her eyes again. Looking up, she could see that Sirius was still carrying her, a look of complete concentration on his face.

“Sirius,” Selene began, the words coming groggily from her throat, “where…where are we going?” Selene could feel a pick up in speed as Sirius began to walk faster through the storm.

“Don’t you worry Selene,” Sirius said, not taking his eyes off the inn that loomed in the distance, “It’ll be over soon.” Selene tried to protest, but felt the overwhelming need of rest pass over her. Reluctantly closing her eyes, Selene fell herself slip from consciousness.

PainTrain16
01-16-07, 10:21 PM
The sharp smell of incense awoke Selene. Looking past the temporary blurriness of her vision, Selene could see candles lining the walls. There was a dank smell past the enticing aroma of the candles that stuck in Selene’s nose. Sitting up, Selene felt a sharp pain in her wrists. Looking down, she saw several clasps attached to her wrists and ankles, chaining her to the floor.

Not here again. Wake up Selene, wake up!

Looking hastily around the room, Selene noticed something different. It was made mostly of crude brick, jutting sharply out at some points. There was a soft creak as a door behind her opened. Careful footsteps made their way into the room, closing the door behind them.

“Melina, you bitc—”

“Now, now, now,” said a deep voice, its leathery footsteps rounding Selene, “is that any way to talk to the person who holds your life in his hands.” Selene gazed up at Sirius, a wide grin spread across his face. “I’ve been waiting for this day for twenty-six years.” Pulling hard on the chains, Selene tried to pull them off with no success.

“Why are you doing this!?” Selene coughed out, slumping back to the floor. Sirius laughed, bending down next to Selene.

“That day,” he began, running a grimy finger up Selene’s arm, “when she came to me.” Sirius began to daze as he moved his finger further up her arm, rounding the curve of her shoulder. “She freed me!” Selene watched disgustedly as he pushed his fingers over her skin. “She turned me that day, and I’m thankful for every minute of it.” His hand met her cheek, and suddenly it felt odd.

Lifting it from her skin, Selene could see Sirius’ hand had changed. It was a crimson red, and small scales had grown on its surface; just like Melina’s. With a menacingly laugh, Sirius stood to his feet.

“She made me one of them so I could help her find the key to the angelic realm.” Selene slowly turned her gaze to Sirius as he walked past her feet. The rest of his skin had grown red and scaly like his hand, and two rather large horns curled backwards towards his forehead. “I did it for her, Selene!” Slipping off the long leather coat that adorned his torso, Selene could see a large spaded tail growing from his lower back. “She agreed that if I would help her, that she would devote herself…her body…to me for eternity.” Sirius laughed wildly, turning his demonic form towards Selene. “And with you, I am one piece closer to my infinite paradise!”

Selene felt her stomach turn; she had been exposed to more cruelty and brutality in the past few days then she had seen in her entire life. It made her sick.

“You’ll never get this necklace off of me Sirius, and by the time you do, Riveria will have figured you out!” Sirius could do nothing but laugh. Supporting himself on the wall, he smirked at his own genius.

“You stupid girl, don’t you see everything was planned!?” Kneeling again next to Selene, he moved close to her face, spitting as he spoke. “By now the old fool is dead. Melina will take care of that. Your mother—” he paused, “Melina has taken care of her as well.” Selene pulled up in her chains, ready to tear off Sirius’ face.

“What happened to my mother!?” Sirius stood to his feet slowly, enjoying every minute of his power.

“Maybe before I kill you,” he stopped, looking down at her body, “I’ll have a little fun first.” Selene kicked her legs as much as the chains would allow, trying to keep Sirius back. With a laugh, he sunk the tip of his tail into her right thigh. Selene screamed at the searing pain that tore through her leg. “Just as difficult as your mother I see.” Fighting through the pain, Selene continued to kick, screaming at Sirius dropped to his knees.

“Do not touch me!” Selene shouted, trying to pull away from the demon. Sirius smiled, grabbing her ankles with his hands and steadying them. Suddenly Selene heard the sound of the door creaking open again.

“Melina, my dear, you’re just in time” Sirius said, looking up expectantly, “Why don’t you join m—”

Selene was blinded as a white light filled the room. Clamping her eyes shut, Selene felt an incredible warmth fill the room, raising the hairs on her arms. There was a terrible shriek and the room went dark. Waiting several seconds, Selene nervously called out in the darkness.

“Who’s there?”

PainTrain16
01-17-07, 08:18 PM
“Selene, are you alright?” a familiarly comforting voice shouted out in the darkness. Selene felt unsteady footsteps moving past her. There was a mumbling of words and sudden a burst of light appeared above her head.

“Riveria!” Selene blurted out as he dropped to his knees, “Riveria, listen! Sirius was behind everything. He’s been planning this whole thing since that night when Mel—”

“Selene.” Riveria said, putting a finger over her mouth. “I know everything.” Feeling the chain clamp clasped to Selene’s wrist, Riveria uttered a short spell, the metal cracking apart like a nut. “When your mother awakened and told us about her dream we knew what Melina was planning. Sirius had already run off with you, so I left Wilson with your mother just in case if Melina showed up.” Breaking the final chain, Riveria helped Selene up. “I’ve been keeping my mind on close watch of Sirius since he’s been here these past few days. He has basic mind training so it’s been difficult to get a steady reading out of him.” Pulling Selene’s limp arm over his shoulder, Riveria moved towards the door. “I noticed something was wrong back at the inn when Sirius was recalling his past experience with Melina. He was careful to keep his barrier up throughout the story, except for one point.” Riveria laughed softly out loud at Sirius’ carelessness. “The horny bastard started thinking about everything Melina did to him that night, and couldn’t help but lower his guard. It was down for only a second, but I could tell he was up to something.” Opening the door with his free hand, Riveria led Selene up a dimly lit set of stairs. Reaching the top, Selene immediately recognized the main lobby of the inn. Carrying Selene carefully to the nearest booth, he gently helped her down.

“When we came to the inn earlier, I asked the bartender about Sirius.” Riveria said, taking a seat opposite of Selene. “He confirmed my suspicions that he’s been staying here for several weeks.” Taking a much need breath, Riveria clasped his hands together on the table separating him and Selene. “Do you know what he was doing Selene?” Riveria didn’t wait for Selene to respond. “He was watching you…everything you did, he was keeping a close tab on.” Selene didn’t even bother to respond. She knew any question she asked would only lead to five more, each of which would lead to more. Letting her head fall against the wall with a thump, Selene closed her eyes.

“Selene, I’m sorry that this has hap—”

“Riveria,” Selene said softly, “I just want to go home.”

Spoils: Light Aura: Selene is able to substitute some of her energy to create a ball of light. The more energy she contriubutes, the more powerful the magic grows. It is highly effective against creatures of the dark, such as demons and undead. At her current stage, Selene can only create a few auras of light before becoming extremely tired and weak.

Witchblade
01-23-07, 07:49 PM
Story

Continuity: - 5 This was an interesting story, one that touched on quite a few different subjects and unfortunately never fully explained all of them. Whenever you’re writing a quest, you have to keep in mind that the reader is not always going to read your character profile to see what your character is all about. You need to keep the reader up to date by giving them relevant information about the characters that they would only know if they either read their history or past quests.

The storyline for the quest itself was a little odd. Selene seems to be some kind of key in order to get into this angelic world, but that is never elaborated on very much. The necklace is brought up numerous times but just how did she get such a necklace? I realize she was born with it but…who is her father? It’s implied during the quest that her mother was raped, most likely by a demon, and that was how Selene ended up like that. But where did the angel wings come from? Then the thing with Melina pops up. She just kind of comes out of nowhere to throw some kind of conflict into the story as if Selene learning she’s some kind of portal/gate key isn’t enough. Then there’s the raping and the threatening of the raping and lots of things die and Sirius turns out to be evil. That wasn’t too surprising; I thought something was up with him.

None of this ever seems to wrap up though. Sirius dies but what about Melina? And what about Selene’s ability as key to this angelic world? Then there’s her mom and her past. There are too many loose ends.

Setting: - 5 The setting was there and it was described but never richly enough to give the reader exactly what they needed to picture everything properly. For instance, in your first post you have Selene walking into a forest at night. Why not describe the twisting branches, the shadows the moon was casting on the ground and how every break of a branch under her foot echoed loudly in the silence? Also, keep in mind that setting is not only a canvas on which you paint but a world in which you act. Your characters should interact with things. The tree branches Selene had to fly through was good but give me more of a description of them and how each one was scraping up against her sensitive skin and tearing through her clothing, slowing her down.

Pacing: - 4 The opening post was very long and started off fine, introducing Selene and putting her in quaint surroundings as she cleaned her dishes, but from there things got very hectic. Things started happening very quickly, not just for the character but also for the reader as well. The opening of every post your wrote started off with some kind of action and instead of making everything so intense for the reader you could have dulled down some aspects and heightened others. By the end of the quest the reader is tired of being drawn in and out of these harrowing experiences that they just want it to end and for someone to hurry up and actually do something besides fight inner voices.

Character

Dialogue: - 5.5 Dialogue needs some help as well. Your characters have the same voice, tone and rise and fall in their speech patterns. You’re just changing what they say to try and give them personality through their words but it’s not working that well. Sirius for instance always makes crack jokes or smart-ass comments about various things. He tends to have an aggressive personality, while Riveria is usually very calm and reserved. Attempting to be rather careful with his wording but it still comes out the same. Selene herself seems to have an all right voice and I can understand that first quests in particular are trying to get inside the character’s head.

“Seems like she’s straight to me.”

“I’m…hot!”

Try to deviate from using such modern words and terms in a fantasy world. It takes the reader out of the world and throws them into reality.

Action: - 4 Character actions are things that I questioned a lot throughout the thread. In your very first post you have Selene running blindly through a forest as night chasing after some kind of creature. Why would she do something like that? All of Althanas knows that there are monsters in forests, especially at night. And you’ve got her trapezing through a dense thicket because she heard something. Reminds me of a horror movie that makes you scream at the heroine not to open the front door. Then there are small actions throughout the thread like Riveria’s sudden emotional outburst as Selene tells him of her dream, then there’s the emotional moment between mother and daughter in the kitchen. That just seems very awkward considering the mother plays a very background role throughout the quest and comes off as very unemotional. Then there’s Selene spitting in the face of Melina during her dream, which seemed very out of character to me. Selene seems like such a demure and timid person to do something like that.

Persona: - 5 Like the actions of the characters, the emotions sometimes seemed a little skewed as well. Selene runs around most of the quest scared, tired, confused and very, very upset. She tends to cry a lot and though it’s understandable considering what’s going on, because it all happens so quickly the reader becomes annoyed with it. They just want her to stop screaming and crying. Sirius comes off as a prick but the reader tends to have some kind of disposition towards him, after all, he seems to be there helping them. Riveria comes off as a strong character but his sudden emotional outbursts as very out of character for someone who seems so calm and collected all the time. If you plan on using him again, I suggest you make his emotions more reserved as he comes off as that kind of character. He could be emotionally upset about something but you don’t need to make him scream or yell because of it.

Writing Style

Mechanics: - 7 There were some spelling mistakes I noticed, as well as punctual, grammatical and even a few missing words. They didn’t detract from the story too much.

‘The silhouette of a woman formed in the doorway that was flanked with the torches.’

That is a very awkward sentence to read.

‘Selene opened her eyes, a cold sweat running down her face. Her mother wore a look of concern.’

That is not only awkward but it’s jumpy. You’re talking about Selene and a cold sweat to her mother and a concerned look. Not to mention where are Selene’s inner thoughts on what just happened to her?

Watch out for repetitive words as well. You use ‘Selene’ way too much and though I realize it’s the character’s name try to change it up with things other than she and her. Try using, the warrior, or the mage, things like that. I don’t think either of those would fit your character, but I’m sure you could think of something that would work.

Technique: - 6 I didn’t spot any advanced forms of writing throughout the quest, but I did enjoy your style for the most part.

Clarity: - 7 For the most part I was never confused on what the characters were doing. The only part that I did get confused at was when Sirius tried to take the necklace from Selene and that older gentleman entered the picture. I confused him with Riveria on several occasions.

Wild Card: - 6 This was an over all good quest. It would have been better were it drawn out longer and with less intensity eventually dulling the reader to the important parts. There are some areas of your writing that need to be looked at but no ones perfect and I can definitely see you improving over time. I look forward to judging more work by you.

Total: 54.5

Reward:

Selene receives 450 experience!

She also receives her Light Aura ability that will need to be further approved by an RoG mod at the time of a level up.

Picking through Sirius’s belongings you find 300 GP, but the Inn Keeper quickly informs you the man still owed him 200 for his room, leaving you with 100 GP in your pocket!

Cyrus the virus
01-23-07, 10:22 PM
EXP added!