PDA

View Full Version : Any (American) Civil War/Literature buffs in here?

Karuka
01-17-07, 10:30 PM
Do any of you know where Ambrose Bierce's A Tough Tussle is set?

The internets are not being very helpful to me tonight, but I DO know that it was set in VA, near Richmond, I believe.

Elrundir
01-17-07, 10:53 PM
"One night in the autumn of 1861 a man sat alone in the heart of a forest in western Virginia. The region was one of the wildest on the continent -- the Cheat Mountain country."

From here (http://www.online-literature.com/bierce/2034/). Does that narrow it down more? American Geography is lost on me, but maybe not to you.

Zook Murnig
01-17-07, 10:57 PM
And, being a Virginia resident, I happen to know that western Virginia can't refer to anything near Richmond. Cause, you know, western isn't central. Dunno about the "wildest region" bit, probably just trying to spice things up in the book. Nothing about Virginia is wilder than any other state.

Karuka
01-17-07, 11:01 PM
I was looking near there because the teacher of the class said it happened pretty close.

My boyfriend was able to find it for me in 2 minutes...he'ds one of those left-brainers who goes straight to the text and can find anything.

I'm so jealous of those people sometimes. I'm able to field random facts and spew BS that sounds mostly (and is quite a bit) correct with little prompting...but buckle me down to work...pff. People like him make me feel so stupid, lol.

But I win on those bloody essay quizzes that make people like him (multiple-choicers) cringe! Mwahahahahaha!!!!