PDA

View Full Version : hypocrits

Garthabel
01-19-07, 08:03 AM
My language isn't appropriate but this is?

"....writing has to be creative to get judged, dumbass. This is a place to better your writing. Not act like ghetto assholes and post a one word post. So I suggest you just leave now of your own volition, or wait until the GM's ban your ass for stupidity..."

I can't say queer but he can sit here, get in my business, and call me what he wants?
That's what I like to call playin favorites, fellahs. and guess what, this is a friggin game, cuz if it was a creative writing forum, I would be accepted because my writing was more creative than the crap you people post. Me and Burley Bear at least make the day different for the people who read our posts. We make it fun, where you people try to make novels out of a game. games are for fun, noones tryin to get published here. and thanks for not being a little aggressive freak like those guys sighter >.>

Slayer of the Rot
01-19-07, 08:09 AM
Stop.

Those people were warned just as you were warned. If you really want to play the game as much as you say you do, and make it fun for people writing with you, stop making OOC posts that could start a flame war and go back to writing.

Garthabel
01-19-07, 08:14 AM
word

Zook Murnig
01-19-07, 08:25 AM
Alright, I'm going to make an attempt at being civil with you. A lot of what bothers me about you and your roleplaying is the single word posts without much, or any, point.

Another thing that bothers me is the lack of unique voice or style in your writing. In other words, you need to make your writing your own. That's something that I always strive for, and I like to think that my writing is unique enough that, even were no one to be told that Zelos Donovan was me, that they'd be able to figure it out on their own.

Try to write from your heart, and if that means using eloquent language, then use eloquent language. If that means being straightforward and to the point, then do that. If that means describing the setting as much as possible, then go for it. Just try to make it feel like you.

Djakara
01-19-07, 09:27 AM
I agree, people should not have treated you so poorly in their comments. However, you must acknowledge that you were also rude. I suggest we all go back to our buisness. If you and a couple other members do not get along, don't write with them. It's that simple.

hamnat
01-19-07, 09:41 AM
No offense intended, but a few lines of dialogue isn't really creativity. And don't expect people to accept you right away. It doesn't always work. The dialogue may be interesting, but it lacks essence. While creativity can be random, it also needs to make sense. I sent you a PM with some tips, and although I agree that I have seen worse here before, it isn't necessarily a good thing to make that your case.

Also, Althanas is a creative writing forum. Your point about how nobody is trying to get published is correct. Well, for the most part. But Althanas is an RP game not an RPG. And believe me, there is a difference, no matter how alike the two terms may be. Unlike in RPG's where you move around a bit, and can see the environment, hear what the people have to say, and somewhat see their emotions, Althanas isn't a three-dimensional world. You have to tell people these things. Otherwise, people won't know what the heck is going on, and won't feel inclined to continue reading.

Last thing. No two works of art, of any form, can ever truly be compared to one another. A thread that gets a score of 80 from the judges isn't necessarily more, or less creative than what you wrote. The writer may have just taken an idea from something he's read, and compounded upon it, changing it for his own. On the other hand, a person with a score of 40 could have something that noone's ever seen before. My point is, you are writing creatively, but it isn't your creativity being judged or improved. Those are impossible feats. It is the quality of your writing. The higher your score, the more interesting, well-writen, and believable it is.

Nova
01-19-07, 10:08 AM
I think Althanas is a game. But it's a game that has high standards compared to other Roleplaying sites. Here we expect several paragraphs that move the story forward as well as entertain and use the quality of the writing as a basis for how well you do. And I don't think a creative writing site is a good term for Althanas since I would expect such a site to go a little further than simply critiquing my writing, but that would make it really hard for the mods and judges.

So while it is a game, Games have rules and standards much like anything. In chess you have turns and can only move in certain ways. And there's also standards, you don't go to chess club and play your friend while laughing manically and throw pieces at each other, you may do that in your home but not at chess club. The same might be for RPs that are simply goofing around and that's just not considered appropriate for this community though there might be other RP sites where that is the norm. Here we expect well thought out posts that the players do their best to write something of their finest quality and have fun at the same time.

I do agree to Sighter that flaming isn't the answer and I'm really glad he said that since there have been times when Althanas' community would stick their noses up at people who they believed weren't good enough writers.

Sighter Tnailog
01-19-07, 11:36 AM
Garthabel, I can assure you that what was said towards you is not permissible on Althanas. In fact, Santh reopened the thread just so that I could make my post clarifying that flaming is flaming regardless of who starts it. If flaming continues, though, on either your part or the part of others, action will be taken -- we merely thought it appropriate not to be too harsh given the situation. But any continued flaming by the involved parties will not be taken lightly.

I don't see any reason as yet to recommend this thread for closure. Please, feel free to continue discussing the merits of creative writing, but try to remember a general rule that you were (hopefully) taught: if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Even better, try to actually find something to say that is helpful and constructive, not merely critical. We can ALL improve in our writing, and remembering that should help keep everyone here humble.

Carry on. Just don't anyone do anything stupid.

AdventWings
01-21-07, 05:20 AM
Well... I'm actually waiting to finish up my story and get it published. The one I'm doing while judging stuff on Althanas, that is. But that's not the case at hand.

I see Althanas as more that just a game. I see this as a community where I come to test my creativity and push the limits of my imagination further - something that novel-writing requires to convey the story well. In fact, Althanas inspired me to write a novel (with a secondary boost from NaNoWriMo, but I won't advertise it here) and to strive for something more than just telling a story. That I can do off the bat.

Here, I actually have to think before I post whether or not it's OOC or IC. Thinking leads to creativity, which I am exercising to brinbg out the highest potential. Creativity leads to stories that are beyond the norm, stories that will actually catch the readers' eyes. Stories that are interesting and thought-provoking.

While trying to steer clear of things that are taboo or generally unacceptable. There are ways around it, but I'll have to find out how to convey the message and make it thought-provoking than merely getting the "jarring" effect of psychological backlash.

But, that's just me. I'd like to hear everyone's take on this as well if you haven't already done so.

Farmboy
01-21-07, 12:15 PM
Look, what I said was wrong, and I shouldn't have said it. But the fact that you had posted what you did made me furious. So I posted back. Honestly, in my opinion, if you're serious about something, then be serious about it. This is a creative writing site, whether you acknowledge that or not. It's a creative writing site in disquise. It's meant to look like a game in order to lure people to come here. Some people here, myself included, actually wish to be published...that's why we're here.

I won't be as rude as I was, but if you're gonna get hissy about a story with barely any effort put into it, then I don't see a reason why you should be here. Just try to put more thought into your posts than 'word' after a post of three paragraphs before it. If you truly want to help people have fun and relax, then make your storylines more elaborate so we all can better enjoy them.

Rajani Aishwara
01-21-07, 03:22 PM
A game is meant for fun and entertainment. The words "fun" and "entertainment" are subjective terms, meaning what you consider fun may not be fun to me. Now that I think of it the word "creativity" is a subjective term as well. What you may consider creative isn't creative to me.

In my opinion the novel quality crap we post is fun. The simple, grammaticaly slopy posts you've graced us with doesn't entertain me. See? Subjective terms. I'm pretty sure that everyone will agree with me when I say we've been having fun so far.

The Prophet of Zane
01-22-07, 01:02 AM
I've read the thread in question and found it highly entertaining. In a lesser form, it reminded me of the strange adventures of Chromanon Rockskin. Rarely making sense, and full of lowbrow humor. How can you not love a little bit of a vacation from the epics that are created on here daily? I agree with what Sighter has said. Althanas, while a game, is also a great opportunity for writers to improve. In the course of the thread, Garthabel went from one word posts to describing a break dancing routine. That's improvement, peeps. I hope that you and Burly will have taken Madison's comments in the judging and apply them to your writing, because I think that you two have enough creativity to come up with some really wicked threads.