PDA

View Full Version : Savvy

Koran
01-20-07, 01:29 AM
There was a heavy thump from outside the 'Armour's and Arms' shop, located about midway down the way in the mightily busy Bazaar. So heavy in fact, that a stand of armor, that had been standing alone near to the doorway, clattered to the ground with a mighty crash, the bits and pieces of plate and mail strewn across the floor in such a fashion that it looked now a heap of scrap metal than armor. Two more heavy thumps followed the first, but not quite as powerful as the first, and from the door entered a massive brute of man, slung over his shoulder a net stuffed with pieces of plate armor, black eyes scanning the room almost lazily. They rested for a moment on the pile of metal that was once armor, a small sneer came over his face but he soon put the pile out of his mind and strode to the counter towards the back of the shop. His foot falls were very heavy, and some helms sitting on a high shelf rattled, teetering on the brink of falling to the floor, before he finally stopped at the counter. He slammed the massive net filled with plate armor onto the counter and said in a loud voice towards the back of the room, "I need to trade this plate in for gold. I've no idea how much I bought if for, only that it was purchased in Salvar."

He then smiled wryly and pulled from his back a massive steel great sword, which had been sheathed and belted across his chest. "I'll also need this upgraded to the highest quality metal you can provide with what I earn from this armor and this 869 I have in my pocket."

Artifex Felicis
01-20-07, 09:01 PM
"Crap," the shopkeeper exclaimed in a momnt after the crashing quieted down. The younger man rubbed his ears tenderly, the banging metal still ringing in his ears. He didn't have a chance to go around his small table though, for an earthquake on legs seemed to walk into the room, threatening to tip over some of the set-ups so lovingly assembled by the merchant imself. HE held his finger up for a second, then slowly got out his priceing guidlines for what the man was asking.

"Well, I'll take to full plate for 400," he began, checking the prices as he went. "So you have 1200 gold to play with. A well made Damascas or Delyn sword would run you 1000 and 1100 respectfully. Borth from our own average human blacksmiths of course."

Koran
01-22-07, 02:08 AM
"Borth?" Koran mumbled for a moment, muttering about outlandish merchants before turning his gaze back to the man.

"Which is the stronger metal? I'm afraid I am unaware of either's strengths or weaknesses. And what would a 'non-human' smith cost me?"

Artifex Felicis
01-22-07, 02:21 PM
"Bah, it's a slip of the tongue," the merchant remakred, waving the strange word off. "Damascas is my personal favorite, though to really get the properties it has you'd need to spend a bit more than what you got, considerably more. They're both good metals, but I'd say Delyn would suit you more. Come to think of it, made by the dwarves too. It'll be slightly stronger than a normal delyn sword but a bit more expensive. You don't strike me as a magic using guy. That sword will be 1250 though for a dwarf made one."

Koran
01-22-07, 02:26 PM
"1250," Koran growled as he clenched his fist until the knuckles were white. "That leaves me with less than 50 gold. Hmm."

The machine thought for a moment, he really he no use for money. Food, drink, women. He didn't need that. A half second later his snarl became a smile and he turned it on the man, and pointed a finger towards him.

"See that it is done good sir."

Artifex Felicis
01-22-07, 03:05 PM
"Excellent choice sir," the merchant replied. He turned, shouting something nearly inchoerent behind him at one of his runners. their entire job was to go to and from the blacksmiths with the weapons his customers wanted. The youth came over, and the merchant gave the order. The youth ran out the door, hurrying to do his job. The merchant paid them by how quick they were, and often fired those who were lazy. "It will be a minute or two, but is that it?"

((I'll close it after this, just making sure you got everything.))

Koran
01-22-07, 03:15 PM
"That is all," the machine nodded as he settled back to wait.

Artifex Felicis
01-22-07, 03:27 PM
The boy came back quickly, handed the sword to the customer and the merchant took his money and set the customer off.

(pleasure doing business. Transaction Complete.

1250 gold taken away, and thusly 46 remains if my math is kerect.))