PDA

View Full Version : Assassination Thwarted

Portalhopper
04-09-06, 06:27 AM
A Brief history of Assassination thwarted;

The original thread was somewhere around forty posts, many of which were written by a man also no longer here (Lighthawk) - all of which were lost when something happened to the boards while I was gone. I know (And accept) that I'll be penalized for summarizing out what happened back then, especially since there are a lot of names and events even I don't remember too clearly; I don't expect any of the mods to.

The reward promised was a couple hundred gold pieces and something or other miscellaneous item that can easily be replaced with something or other anything else (or nothing at all) - the main reason I'm writing here is I want the story to come to a conclusion, not for a reward.

--------------------------------------------------

The Story began in Sigil, the City of doors; also called The Cage for various reasons. It's a place no-one in the Multiverse truly understands, populated by Planeswalkers from all across reality, who might live there, or might just be passing through. See, in Sigil, there's the largest concentration of naturally occurring Portals, holes in the Multiverse leading from one plane to another, or even just one spot on the same plane to another.

In Sigil, 'Hopper was being informed by an old friend, a halfing by the name of Shmee, that a deal between a powerful wizard and a particularly nasty demon named 'The Slasher of Veils' he'd been the middleman for went a bit sour. The Slasher wasn't happy at all when it learned he'd paid entirely in silver coins, a metal most fiends bear something of a weakness against, and are painful for them to hold.

The coins, it turned out, were mined from Mount Celestial an Upper Plane most Primes (denizens of the Prime Material Plane) think of as "heaven." They were under a temporary disenchantment to hide their place of origin, and when that wore off, the Celestial Silver should have been enough to fatally poison the Fiend.

No such luck; with the Slasher itself shouting his name to the ends of Sigil and beyond, 'Hopper fled through one Portal he'd known about for some time, a safe getaway to a backwater Prime called 'Althanas' - and the key to it's activation wasn't a physical object like most Gate Keys, it was a state of mind, one which the Slasher was incapable of duplicating.

The state of being in mortal terror.

Things didn't get much better for 'Hopper once he made it here, inside a Warehouse in Scara Brae where he just so happened to fall in on a meeting of disgruntled Noblemen who blamed Lord Pallotan, lord of Scara Brae at the time, for all their misfortunes. After a tense moment where a great many sharp objects were pointed at 'Hopper in a menacing manner, some smooth talking, and the flashing of his Thieving tools to prove 'Hopper was, in fact, a man of roguish persuasion who could be an asset to their Cause, 'Hopper was yet again, allowed to live.

He Promised to scout the city in search of naturally occurring portals, like the one he came through, that could help the prospective assassins’ position themselves better, or successfully flee, come time for the assassination to be carried out.

'Hopper, naturally, was lying his ass off, Scara Brae wasn't a hotbed of portals like Sigil was, and anything he found would probably lead to Pandemonium or something, where they'd probably be driven insane by howling winds or eaten by a fiend.

Free, for now, he set about to the underbelly of Scara Brae, frequenting Taverns in the seedier sections of Scara Brae, asking questions and getting answers (One of the men had let their leader's name slip during the questioning period - I don't remember what I named him anymore) in a place called the Shallow Grave.

His contact, a former servant of the former nobleman who was planning the Assassination, gave him a little history on this particularly bloodthirsty knight. On a fairly routine venture to oust a band of bandits from the Countryside, he'd led the slaughter of an entire small village he'd determined to be the source of the problem - unarmed men, women and children... The implication was given that this wasn't the first such slaughter in the name of "justice" - just the only one he'd been caught carrying out.

As it turned out, Lord Pallotan was the one who discovered his deeds, and was responsible for prosecuting him for what he did. While he should have hanged, he had enough money, power, and friends left to save his life, if nothing else. He still had a house in the city, and a number of old friends willing to return a favor, but nothing much of anything else.

More would have been said, if 'Hoppers contact hadn't fallen over on the table, deader than a Parrot in a Monty Python sketch, after taking a swig of whatever passed for a Drink at the Shallow Grave. Simultaneous with his not dying, four large, hired-thug looking men has stood up across the room, walking towards the two of them.

One crossbow bolt from 'Hopper (hidden beneath the table of course, making it unclear where the bolt came from in the first place. At least, to the rest of the Tavern), and a man falling over in pain was all it took for a general chaos to erupt in the Shallow Grave - some people trying to get out, others drawing all manner of hidden weapons, and the three men left standing trying to run towards him.

He'd picked up his dead friend like a man helping a drunkard home, sifting through his pockets while he made his way for the kitchen, and the back door beyond it. The last obstacle to escape was the barmaid who'd served them both the poison ale, who came running at him with a knife. 'Hopper used the already-dead man as a both a shield and weapon, and probably could've killed the vicious little snake before leaving the Tavern.

But he didn't - 'Hopper's used to women trying to kill him, and still has a soft spot for the beautiful ones.

His escape from that attempt on his life left him with a small book (which turned out to contain official documents identifying the owner as a member of a noble house) and a few coins that once belonged to his contact, and the address of that former nobleman’s house – all he needed.

‘Hopper went on the offensive that very night, sneaking into the open window on the second floor of that house, where he laid in wait in what turned out to be a bedroom. The man who eventually came in, was one he’d never seen before, but nevertheless revealed his knowledge of the assassination conspiracy after a good mix of threats and… Well… It was pretty much just the threats that did it.

He instructed that man to inform his master (leader, whatever) – that if he didn’t meet at the warehouse where ‘Hopper met up with them the next night, he’d track every last member of the conspiracy down, and eliminate them, citing his obvious ability to sneak into this house as proof of his ability to carry out his threat.

‘Hopper spent the next day planning his next moves, preparing to carry them out, and the afternoon watching the warehouse from the top of a building down the street from it, observing men he knew were his enemies come and go, searching the area for him as though they knew he’d be watching them.

Demonstrating again his complete lack of integrity when dealing with people trying to kill him, ‘Hopper snuck back down to street level, having counted six men total, only one of which was outside the warehouse (A lookout he silenced with an impromptu blackjack, I think it was a sock full of coins) – he proceeded to then douse the outside of the warehouse with oil he’d acquired during the day (Lamp oil I think it was) – and set that sumbitch on fire.

Laying in wait outside the only free exit to the warehouse (he’d made sure to set all the others on fire) – ‘Hopper brought down two more with crossbow bolts as they ran from the Warehouse, he struck for the legs, and kicked for the head, preferring lackies unconscious to dead – indeed, there was only one man he really wanted to kill, the one who ordered men to try and kill him, a man he knew would be one of the three left inside that warehouse… He crept inside, hunting.

Inside that Warehouse was a hazy memory for ‘Hopper, he’d planned to take down three men before they noticed he was upon them, and – after being trapped inside the Warehouse, and in mortal terror of burning to death, take the portal he’d come through back to Sigil. Even if one of those three men stumbled across that portal and fled through in the same state of mind, he knew they’d never last a week on the Planes…

When one of them DID stumble into the portal, ‘Hopper saw it happen, and saw what came out. The Slasher of Veils, having waited patiently beside that portal for ‘Hopper to come back through it, stepped into Scara Brae. Holding that man in one clawed hand, it flung him to the side, smashing through one wall of the Warehouse.

‘Hopper never saw that happen, he was busy running straight through roaring flames in a mad dash to put as much distance between himself and the Slasher as possible. It was only the body of a man smashing through a wall, and impacting the next building so hard he became little more than a boneless blob of jelly.

The Slasher found him, and ‘Hopper experienced just why this particular demon is called the “Slasher of Veils.” Its power is truth, shattering the illusions we set up inside our own mind, barriers to protect ourselves from the cold, harsh reality of the world. Fight against it, and you stay trapped forever inside your own mind, trying to rebuild barriers that your mind will no longer accept – give in to the Slasher’s power, and you’re inevitably overwhelmed by the reality you’ve never been brave enough to consider. All your failures taunting you, loved ones passed on that you could have saved, the stuff nightmares are made of, and worst of all, the Slasher doesn’t lie or deceive, its tortures are filled with nothing but the truth.

‘Hopper knew, intellectually, from having studied the Slasher before he tried to cheat it what seemed like so long ago, that if he gave in and accepted his failures parading through his mind like a nightmare circus, he’d eventually wake up. If he fought, he’d be catatonic until the day he died, and probably past then… He gave up.

His last sight was of the Slasher compressing down into the body of a Human, and thanking him for a shot at “The Red Blaze” – one of the Nicknames Lord Pallotan had possessed, a holy warrior any Demon would kill for a shot at killing.

‘Hopper regained consciousness in an Inn, tended for by a strange-looking man he’d never seen before. He called himself Hawk, and came “From the East” – without elaborating further, he’d seen the burning Warehouse, and the Slasher of Veils before it changed into a man, and so rescued ‘Hopper from whatever fate he might have endured in the street.

They talked at length, and ‘Hopper explained about the Slasher of Veils, what it was, how it was impossible for him or Hawk to kill it, how ‘Hopper planned on trying anyway, feeling personally responsible for whatever evil it might cause. Hawk remained resolute in his determination to help defeat the Demon, though he had his own reasons for why.

In the end, ‘Hopper agreed to let him help, they planned and agreed, Hawk would search for someone in the city who could create a weapon capable of destroying the Slasher, while ‘Hopper tried to warn Lord Pallotan of his impending doom.

‘Hopper, now featured in a number of Wanted Posters around Scara Brae for Murder, Arson, and copulating with animals in a most unnatural fashion (The last bit, I assure you, is nothing more than a trumped up charge), chose a disguise, that of a beggar, dressed in rags and a face so filthy even his own Mum wouldn’t have recognized him.

He made his way through the streets, to the very walls of the Castle\Manor where Lord Pallotan was said to live, he even made his way within speaking distance of the man, only to see the human body the Slasher of Veils had chosen accompanying Pallotan, speaking to him at length in a conversation ‘Hopper couldn’t quite pick up. Its power struck out again at his mind, weaker than before, either to keep it hidden from Pallotan (A Man blessed by the gods!) – or because ‘Hopper had already endured the power once… Either way, it still sent him running like a coward.

Hawk was somewhat more successful in his Mission, locating an Alchemist that knew of the Slasher of Veils, and informed him that it was the true name of the Demon they faced, but rather a Title given to it by some greater Demon Lord. The title gave it the power it had used on ‘Hopper – but it wasn’t as invincible as they’d thought, the Alchemist had books detailing how previous Slashers had been killed, and a new Demon would be elevated to take its place.

The Alchemist informed him that Silver, was indeed a weakness of the Demon, and offered to craft a Silver –plated Glove, which would enable Hawk to use his mastery of Martial Arts to effectively wound the Slasher of Veils, but only for 1,600 gold pieces, an amount FAR in excess of what either of them could afford.

Hawk and ‘Hopper met up once again at an Inn in a district of Scara Brae populated entirely by easterners, where ‘Hopper and his wanted status wouldn’t raise any eyebrows (“All you Westerners look alike to us anyways”). They compared stories, and ‘Hopper said he could use the noble seal from the book he’d acquired from his Informant in the Shallow Grave to forge a letter of credit from a noble house, one easily worth 1,600 Gold pieces!

Before they could accomplish that, a man broke down the door to their room, flinging Daggers at the two men. Hawk dodged them easily, his years of training in Martial Arts serving him well.

‘Hopper wasn’t so skilled, one dagger caught him deeply in the right arm. As that happened, his eyes faded out, his mind shut off, and his body launched itself at the prospective Assassin, tearing into the man with an uncharacteristic bestial frenzy.

Some ghost of the Slasher’s mind remained in his head, egging him on, filling him with the strength and bloodlust of a Demon - but robbing him of his mind. The strength left as suddenly as it came, leaving him helplessly weak against the Assassin, who was quickly recovering from ‘Hoppers initial frenzy.

The Slasher’s presence told him to accept it into his mind, or he would die, ‘Hopper told it to go back to hell. The Slasher threatened and coerced, cajoled and convinced, each time receiving the same obstinate reply. He ran out of time, and felt the Assassin’s knife cut him, several times before Hawk managed to separate them, and pummel the Assassin out of his wits.

Adding insult to (grievous) injury, ‘Hopper recognized the Assassin… One of the men he’d let live at the Warehouse. Again, ‘Hopper fell unconscious.

He woke in a temple, bandaged and tended to by Eastern Monks, he was told Hawk left him there to be recover while Hawk went off to battle the Slasher of Veils alone. Despite wanting to rise up and join Hawk in battle that very moment – his wounds were too severe for him to even rise up to a sitting position.

The very last segment of the story ended with the same ghost of the Slasher’s mind speaking to ‘Hopper, telling him that it could give him the strength to move on (move on to what? Fighting against the Slasher?) – To whatever goal he held, even stopping the very being who gave him power. After receiving the same answer many, many times in a row, (“Sod Off”) – it took matters into it’s own hands, forcing ‘Hoppers body up, and out of the Temple.

And that, Ladies and gentlemen, is where I left off… The story is almost finished, but now it gets to be written in detail, rather than summarized.

Portalhopper
04-13-06, 04:18 AM
Tell me, why the Soddin' 'Ell did you go through all 'at tryin' ta make me give up when ye could jus' do this anyways?

You never really stop to think what it's like to be the voice inside someone's head, looking out into the world with what used to be your eyes, moving with what used to be your own arms and legs, but having no control over any of them. All you can do is talk to the guy in charge, the presence of the Slasher of Veils inside his head, and try to convince it to control your body the way you want it controlled. So far, he wasn't having much luck.

Easier for yea I'm guessin'? iffin' I let you 'ave me body, yea' wouldn't 'ave ta work as hard keepin' me all bottled up like some Djinni in a lamp made'o skin now would ya? Must be pretty important fer' you ta' be goin' through all this trouble.

The Slasher didn't respond, 'Hopper wasn't even sure if it could hear him as it forced his bloodied body through the streets of Scara Brae. He didn't recognize the route they were taking, though he had a good idea where they were headed. Yer takin' me ta see that greybeard Hawk foun' who 'ad a weapon ta' destroy you; an' Hawk after 'im! all'em sods in Scara Brae that know the dark 'bout you! Next is me I'm guessin, not that it'll take much what with me leakin' all over tha' streets.

Well come on, say SOMETHING, ye thrice-damned cross-tradin' fiend!

Quiet, Soul-Bag.

Knew ye were in there somewhere! Not' at'tall friendly now that you've got me body, 'an don't 'ave ta sweet-talk me out've it. if I dinnae know better, I'd be thinkin' ye don't love me n'more.

Still nothing, seems the Slasher was doing just ignoring him now.

Always had ta' wonder about this, iffin' ye ARE a voice in yer own brain-box, 'an the voice that used ta be a voice peeled ye out've yer own, what'd you call it? Soul-bag? Soddin' brilliant! Anyhow's does this make me tha' barmy, since I'm still talkin when ye' aren't listenin, or does it make you tha' barmy, since yea've got a voice in yer head talkin' to ya' all sweet-like? Not that I'm a man ta' go all sweet on a Fiend such as yerself, who I'm just guessin figures 'e was a man-fiend, not a woman-fiend like the last lass I was sweet on turned out ta' be. Might've known'er, pretty little thing served up a big mug'o poison, The killin' kind, not tha drinkin' kind, an' when THAT dinnae' work she comes up with a knife an' tries ta put a few more holes in me! Ken you believe that? 'Course s'not like yer not guilty o' perforatin' meself a few times either. Seems you an' her've got a lot in common, 'cept yer not so pretty as she were, what with the claws and face not even yer mum could love, iffin' ye even 'ave a mum, something I'm distinctly doubtin' given ye probably would've clawed yer way out 'stead o' bein born. Powers above yer dull fer conversation aren't ye? Guess you're figurin' you've won and ain't got no more time fer the poor 'Hopper who's body ye up an' snatched like---

QUIET!

Crikey! Looks like I been gettin' you plenty upset with me simple attempts ta' make conversation. Y'know, iffen ye weren't so rude an' speaked up once 're twice ye' might not be so cranky. Sorta've like me mum, sweet woman she was, but a touch barmy, 'specially back when I was a wea little 'Hopper, not that she named me that. Ken' you imagine, namin' a babe somethin' like 'Hopper? Or Slasher of Veils? Seriously mate, don't be tellin' me ye were wearin' diapers an' callin yerself the "Slasher of Veils" - ridiculous screed, prolly' always picked last every time tha' lil' demons wanted ta play soulball, grew up big' and soddin' powerful ta' revenge yerself on all'em mean demons. Redundant ain't it, mean demons?
One last warning, be QUIET!

that's what I'm meanin! Awful pun that, no seriously though, whatta ya plan on doing? What's ta be warnin' me about, be quiet or I'll take yer body over an' march ye through the streets killin' to yer pleasure? You'll make me deader 'an a Hardhead's brain? Drag me soul to tha' pits o' hell an' commit all manner o' atrocities on me poor self? Can't threaten me with nonsense yer already plannin' on doing, berk. God, ye sure are stupid fer' a Fiend. Powers, I remember back in tha' day when Fiends were a thing ta' be feared an' went about rippin the guts out 'o yer stomach an' hangin' you with'em. Now it's----

At about this time, his body stepped into what could only be the shop of the Alchemist Hawk had found. Though he'd never been there, 'Hopper could think of no place else filled with books and beakers, glass vials filled with potions and alchemical ingredients filling up the shelves to make for an incredibly pungent aroma that could only be described as "mind-altering." The Slasher didn't waste any time with words or confirmation, 'Hopper felt his own right arm lowering to draw Lucky from it's sheath, and take the old man's head from his body before he could even utter a word of protest...

The was the Slasher's plan; until 'Hopper spoke the words inside it's skull; Utukki, Slasher of Veils and Proxy to the Duke of Rhetoric, I command you to halt!

How?

Hopper resisted gloating for the moment, catching a demon by surprise was one thing, explaining how he did it to the immediately revenge hungry-demon was something else entirely. that’ll stay dark to ya fer’ tha moment, fiend. Now Utukki, Slasher of Veils and Proxy to the Duke of Rhetoric, I command you to return control of my body to me.

Back in the real world, Lucky fell from nerveless fingers harmlessly to the floor, followed shortly after by the rest of ‘Hopper, now bereft of the Slasher’s unnatural strength, bleeding heavily, barely conscious. The old Alchemist, frozen in fear the entire time, looked down to him. “What.. Why?”

“Slasher of Veils is inside me head. Beat’em back this time, not so sure ‘bout the nex…”

This is, if I am not mistaken, either the third or fourth post in this plotline that has ended with ‘Hopper blacking out. We’re going for a record here!

Edited: I made the section where 'Hopper was blabbering on inside his own skull a wea bit larger.

Portalhopper
04-17-06, 01:27 PM
'Hopper drifted back from the blackness for the second time in as many hours. Everything hurt, breathing, thinking, even opening his eyes and looking around sent lancing pain through his skull, he couldn't even find the strength to raise his head up and look around, all he could perceive was a ceiling warped from constant heating and a cacophony of smells from all manner of liquid, solid, and gaseous compounds. When he tried to speak, all that came out from his mouth was a dull groan.

"By the Gods, you're awake! I couldn't even tell if you were still alive!" It was the old Alchemist, walking over to check up on him. From the height he was at, and the hard wood beneath him, 'Hopper assumed he was on a table deputized for bed duty, "You are Hawk's friend, Hopper, yes? He's gone on ahead of you, or behind you if its that demon you two are hunting that did this to you."

'Hopper tried to speak once again, with feeling this time, "Can't stop here."

"I'm afraid you'll have to, right now the only things holding you together are bandages and good intentions." The Alchemist replied while he went about his shop, doing something 'Hopper couldn't see, something in his tone didn't seem right, not at all.

"Lemme try, iffin I 'ave ta drag meself like a bleedin' slug all tha' way to the Slasher, that's me own choice." 'Hopper replied, recovered enough to manage normal-sized sentences.

"Not before I get that Demon out of you, young man. relax, it won't be much longer." the Alchemist said, placing what felt like a metal band around his head, "Consider it payment for that glove I loaned to your friend Hawk, best hope he makes good use of it."

"What will happen to me?" 'Hopper asked, even though he already knew the answer, the way the old man was talking made it obvious.

"You'll be in some pain, but whatever piece of the Demon was inside you will be gone, bottled up in this crystal here." The alchemist was presumably fitting that crystal into place beyond 'Hoppers line of sight.

"Liar. I'll be crow food an' you know it." 'Hopper said.

"That is possible, I've never done this before, not many Demons in Scara Brae after all, and you are very weak. But you'll probably die anyways in the state your in, so you may as well make your death meaningful." The Alchemist replied, not stopping in his work at all.

"Powers, yer the second berk I've saved who's turned around an' tried ta kill me. Ever 'ear of Gratitude?!" 'Hopper was nearly shouting now, cursing his own body for not moving. Cursing himself for stopping the thrice-damned slasher of veils from killing the old man, cursing just to curse.

command me, Master. Bid me to help you break free

Master now is it?

The Alchemist was busy setting a number of crystals into what might have been a machine, or just a large metal box with holes for holding things, attached to an improbable number of wires that criss-crossed the room like a gigantic spider-web. What the Alchemist was doing, and how he'd managed to set all this up in such a short period of time baffled him.

You've bound me with my name, your wish is my command.

'Aight, yer helping me out o' this.

'Hopper wasn't entirely sure, but he almost felt surprise in the little section of his mind the Slasher occupied, this being the first time he'd every agreed with the damned fiend. Yes, Master, bid me to fill you with my strength, we can shatter the bonds that hold us here!

"Scuse me guv" 'Hopper interjected, trying to grab the Alchemist's undivided attention, "Got something I'd like ta try 'afore you go all rippin this'ing out'o me brain an' killin' me and such."

"Yes young man? Don't try allowing the Demon to break you free, you'll find your bonds are quite sturdy, and my preparations are nearly complete." The Alchemist replied, walking over to a Dr. Frankenstein style giant switch.

Don't listen to him Master, his bonds are weak, we can break free!.

"Thanks fer' the chance, guv. The line 'tween me brain-box an' that crystal's complete, right?" 'Hopper asked.

"Yes, yes, one of the first things I set up."

"Great, hold off on 'at switch there just a moment..."

Utukki, Slasher of Veils and Proxy to the Duke of Rhetoric, When ye' leave me mind, go straight into this'ere Alchemist's crystal, without damaging me in any way.

Wait, No! without me he'll kill you!

Now, I command ye, Leave me!

And with that, a great weight lifted off 'Hoppers mind, both the sharing of his mind with some fragment of a demon, and the prospect of impending doom. Well, one prospect of impending doom that.. Oh hells, "You ken stop yer thrice-damned fiend-sucking magics, I gots tha' beastie ta' go to yer crystal on me own!"

The look on the old Alchemist's face was one of glee, and a hint of disappointment, making 'Hopper think, Blighter wanted ta' use this thing jus' ta see if it'd work! Reluctantly, he backed away from the switch, and made haste to undo the bonds around 'Hopper - not that it made much difference, he hadn't even been able to feel the ones he only now realized were around his arms and legs.

"Thank you, Thank you!" The Alchemist eventually decided on outright glee, "Now, what exactly did you just do?"

"Ordered it in there, same way I saved yer arse when it was 'bout ta' give yer' brain-box a vacation from yer shoulders." 'Hopper asked, as politely as he could manage.

"Hmmm" The Alchemist puzzled a bit over 'Hopper's statement, "Whyever would it obey your orders? Oh never mind, plenty of time for that when you're in one piece, you're in luck, I mixed a little something up for you on the off chance you survived the extraction. I didn't want you to die you know." The Alchemist moved out of 'Hoppers sight.

"just dinnae mind if I did is all." 'Hopper muttered beneath his breath. He'd save the sarcastic commentary for a time when he wasn't helpless to the whims of a dangerously senile old man.

The Alchemist didn't seem to hear him, and moments later a funnel was unceremoniously placed in his mouth, washed down by a sickeningly sweet liquid that oozed down his throat, swallowing by reflex. A miraculous sensation immediately spread throughout his body, extremities tingled with feeling that hadn't been there before, stab wounds closed of their own volition, internal injuries repaired themselves at a fantastic rate, "Powers, It worked!"

"It worked!" The alchemist echoed, as though he hadn't expected it to.

'Hopper didn't even bother commenting, he was too busy sitting up, testing how healthy he really was, extending his arms experimentally, he knew he should still be nearly unable to move, but he felt fine. He half-expected to black out again, like some cosmic force felt his life should be divided into easily-narrated snippets punctuated by brief periods of unconsciousness. "Much obliged guv."

"You're welcome, Hopper wasn't it? Curious name. Anyways, that elixir will keep you on you alive, but you really shouldn't be doing much else than sleeping for the next few days. Before you say anything, I know you're not going to, don't seem the type, so before you go off killing yourself I've got to know, how did you do it? How did you bind the Slasher of Veils?" The alchemist implored.

"What do I get out've tellin ya?" 'Hopper struck back, Damned if I'm ta' do you any favors He wanted to add.

"Hmmm, how about knowledge? I've a book in my library especially on that Slasher of Veils your hunting, written by a man who claims to have killed two incarnations of the beast. Something in there might help you a great deal." The Alchemist offered.

"I'm in a bit've a hurry, guv, don't have time ta' be pourin' over some old book."

"Something more immediately useful? I have potions, healing like the one I just gave you, ones that make you stronger or faster than normal.. No no, they'd do more harm than good in the state you're in... Oh! I know, I still have some mystic silver from that glove I made for Hawk, even though it won't be as potent as that, and the enchantment probably won't last more than a day, I can use it to coat one of your weapons. That sword may--."

'Hopper interrupted, picturing exactly what he'd need, "Ken ye coat tha' tips o' me crossbow bolts?"

"Yes, yes I think I can."

"Agreed then, the book an' some magical silver bolts fer' the story o' how I bound that demon in me 'ead."

The Alchemist paused for a moment, considering the bargain... He'd been thinking of giving away one or the other price, not both.. Still, the Silver would be worthless in a day, it wasn't that great a price to pay - "Agreed."

-----------------

The Alchemist's coating consisted of little more than unceremoniously dipping all of 'Hoppers Bolts into a heated cauldron filled with molten silver, like a candle maker dipping string into liquid wax. Only when he was handed the book (The Seekers by Taiden Bradoc, which disappeared into 'Hopper's pack, post-haste) did 'Hopper explain, speaking slowly and trying to suppress his natural accent, the better for the Alchemist to understand him, "As you've probably read in 'at book, there're a great many types of Fiends, call themselves their own names, Baatezu, Tanar'Ri, Yugoloths, representin' different breeds of evil. Baatezu, the kind of fiend the Slasher is, are orderly to a fault, opposed to the Tanar'ri, who're evil like a rampaging mob of barmies. They've been fightin' each other since back before anyone ken' remember over which way is the proper way ta' do evil, which usually keeps the rest of the multiverse safe fer' berks like you an I."

'Hopper took a breather, making sure to Alchemist was getting this all, and stop himself from slipping back into his more comfortable method of speaking, "Now, as a result, Baatezu aren't too chaotic, they're bad at impromptu plans, an' they can't stand a soul-bag like me speaking gibberish, which is what I did inside me head when the Slasher was controlling me body. After a while, he just blocked me out, started ignoring me completely, so he didn't notice me sneakin' around inside his mind, both of us being in the same brain-box after all. Fer all it's power, this was a pretty stupid demon, it let me filch a few thoughts, it's true name being on it's mind from a few comments I made 'afore it shut me out completely, and all I did was say that, followed by commandin' it around. Name of this particular Slasher of Veils is Utukki, Slasher of Veils, and proxy to the Duke of Rhetoric."

"Remarkable. Absolutely amazing, do you have any training in mentalism?" The Alchemist asked, rapt with attention.

"Not a bit, but stealin' a thought don't seem ta' be much different from pickin' a pocket, again, when yer both in tha' same mind."

"Thank you again, I might be able to use that information, and the Demon's true name will be very useful when I use that crystal in my experiments." The Alchemist bowed, and caught a sucker-punch on his left temple, crumpling to the ground without a sound.

"Thanks fer remindin' me guv. I jus' can't bring myself ta trust a man like you with this'ere demon. Iffen ye'd kill me fer it, powers know ye'd get corrupted by it faster 'an ice melts in' hell." 'Hopper then stepped over the unconscious Alchemist and snatched the crystal Utukki was trapped in, throwing it into one of his many pouches before the Fiend tried to contact him mentally... He'd be glad to be rid of the damned thing, but not now.

Now, 'Hopper stepped steadily through the front of the Shop, unlocked the front door (Closed the whole time! No wonder there were no interruptions) - and disappeared into the shadows of Scara Brae. His next stop, a reckoning with the bodily form of the Slasher of Veils.

Osato
06-29-06, 12:54 PM
Closed and moved due to inactivity for over two months. PM me if you wish for this to be reopened and moved back, but only if you are going to actively complete the thread. Thank you.

~Osato