PDA

View Full Version : Am I weak? (Closed for Urei)

The Runt
01-21-07, 03:51 PM
It has been twenty years since Kadday last left the perfection of the Gardens. Childhood memories from trips through these same woods creep into her mind as she walks through the Concordia woods. Simultaneously, the realization that she would likely never return begins to sink in. Although the Vakrin were never ostracized or cast out by the Tash’Hari, they never returned. The Artifact was very vague as to why, leaving more questions than answers.

She spends a full day hiking and never sees anything but the woods. In a way, this comforts her, reminding her of days when she was still a joyful child, carefree among the trees of the Garden’s orchard. But the opposite pole of the situation is also painfully evident to her. Since that fateful day so many years ago in the orchard, she has felt no such joy. The sadness, awakened at the revelation of her status as Vakrin, prevented such simplicity since its inception. Not that she was always brooding or bitter, certainly there were times of happiness with her family and friends before she left. But this happiness had become more and more sporadic as she grew older, becoming an occurrence rather than a constant condition.

These thoughts of the past occupy Kadday for the first days hike. She spends the night under a tree in Concordia, waking the next morning to the beams of sunlight slicing through the canopy. For the next leg of her journey she focuses on what she will do with herself in a strange and foreign land. Relieved of her memories, Kadday begins noticing the stunning differences between the Gardens and Radasanthia. The familiar mental energy that constantly coursed through the air of the Gardens is missing. The world feels empty, devoid of her normal perception of the people around her. After a break for lunch, she pauses to meditate and explore her options.

The gift of far-seeing is a powerful ability. An adult Tash’Hari can easily focus on any unprotected location in the world and immediately find their vision focused on that place. The elders and more mature Tash’Hari could even read the thoughts of those they saw through their far-seeing. Kadday’s power is humble comparatively. With intense concentration, it takes her a few minutes simply to pull her sight away from her body, looking down on herself. Rather than instantly flitting from exotic location to location, Kadday had to learn to move between places, never breaking her concentration. Her mind is soon racing across the tree tops of Concordia before settling on the road leading to Radasanth, already teeming with travelers. The masses of people speed by beneath her vision as she turns toward the great city. Soaring above the city for a bird’s eye view, Kadday’s vision hovers trying to take in the mass of humanity that populate the buildings below. Looking down, one building dominated the landscape. Her vision narrows, focusing on the massive structure and she recalls from memories long past what it is.

The Citadel. The gathering place of warriors, adventurers, and wanderers. Certainly if there is anywhere I do belong, it is in this city and in The Citadel. A chance to truly test myself without my opponent intentionally weakening themselves for my benefit. That is where I am bound.

She opens her eyes, her vision snapping back to the present. She quickly gathers her belongings and sets off once again, now with purpose in her step. She reachs the road by late evening, camping a mile off the beaten path to avoid any unscrupulous characters that may pass by. Her third day of hiking brings her to within sight of the city. She is awakened on the fourth day by the patter of rain as it sweeps into the city, drenching roofs and muddying the streets. Kadday pulls her waterproof poncho from her bag and wraps it tightly around herself, blocking most of the precipitation. Thus equipped, she heads toward the only shelter she knows will accept her.

Rushing through the streets, Kadday struggles to deal with the mass of thoughts and emotions that bombard her conscious. Accustom to the controlled environment of the Gardens, she is unable to screen and control the thoughts that plaster her mind.

That little wench, how dare she….he is trying to rob me blind…where’s mommy??...there will be profit made tonight…

Overcome, Kadday stumbles off the street and slumps against a wall in an alley, closing her eyes to concentrate on her own thoughts. Slowly, she is able to erect barriers, defenses in her mind to block out the thoughts of others. Soon, her mind is her own again, intruding thoughts fading to background noise. Thus bulwarked, she pushes herself to her feet and resumes her course, more slowly this time so as to concentrate on maintaining her sanity.

This weakness is disgusting. I can’t even walk the streets here without crumbling into a pathetic heap. I WILL fight in The Citadel, but then I am through with this city and these people.

It is not long before he steps of The Citadel are before her. She stands alone in the ante-room, still wrapped in her waterproofing. Her confusion is soon alleviated when a portly monk approached her.

“You seek to test yourself, correct?”

Kadday takes a moment responding, scouring the area to detect a mental presence that might have searched out her motivation. Finding nothing, she shrugs it off as coincidence.

Perhaps he is an excellent judge of character.

“That is correct. I am unfamiliar with the procedure, however.”

The monk begins walking down a hall, speaking over his shoulder.

“Come this way, all is prepared. I will inform you as we walk.”

Kadday follows the monk, shaking free the water that had collected on her cloak, draping it over her shoulder. The monk speaks as they walk, telling her a little about the Ai’Brone and the history of the Citadel. They soon come to a door. The monk opens the door, exposing a small room with a second door.

“Come inside, leave any unnecessary gear here, then proceed. Your opponent awaits.”

Kadday sets down everything but Veda’Ketu. She removes her robes, leaving a more utilitarian outfight. She lays the cloak out to dry and steps through the door.

Brilliant sunlight greets her as she enters the arena. It is high noon and the sun beats down relentlessly, warming Kadday’s body after the rain. She smiles at the heat, reminded of the blazing sun of Fallien and the Gardens. After basking for a moment in the warmth, Kadday takes note of her surroundings.

A towering cathedral dominates the landscape. The former glory of the chapel is lost in decay, the once pristine rose window is broken, the flying buttresses crumbling. Sections of the roof have collapsed leaving gaping holes. The meticulously carved wooden double door is still intact, but one door has broken loose from its hinges and leans askew against the other.

Kadday stands at a wrought iron gate at the short stone wall surrounding the cathedral. Between her and the doors lie the bodies of fallen saints, interred in their graves. A simple stone path leads to the steps of the cathedral.

A harsh squeak accompanies the opening of the gate as Kadday walks cautiously between the headstones, keeping her mind open and probing for any thoughts that may reveal her opponent.

Ürei
01-21-07, 08:55 PM
Boring

That was, in one word, the summary of Dresden’s week. Moving aimlessly between towns, trying to find something to do and finding nothing. Currently on the island continent of Corone, he perched atop a large rock edifice overlooking the city of Radasanth. A fall wind was blowing, pushing the heavy rain into his back and soaking every bit of his clothing to the core. Somewhere along the way the demon had found a tailor who had been careless enough to fall asleep at his stand. Taking a few pieces of clothing, he walked off with a new white Elven long coat with shockingly similar thorn-and-ivy designs on it. With his new piece of garment resting in a small cave beneath the outcropping, which had been his haven during the day, the demon stared into the bustle of the city, finding no interest in any of it.

With a deep and bored sigh he stood from his gargoyle-like position to stretch his tough joints. The sun was still overhead, and no matter how dearly he wished it to fall from the sky and be drenched in the ocean, it remained aloft. As he turned to return to his cave the massive building of the Citadel, halting his movement with a conjured memory, caught his eye. The name was perfect for its structure, and if not for the fact that it was incredibly open to visitors, it would have been nearly impenetrable. With a massive wall separating it from the rest of the city and elegant gardens within that gave a medium before you reached the true gate of the Ai’Bron’s masterpiece. The castle in which there were a million doors, and more space then in the rest of Radasanth. Somehow when one stepped through that threshold, all rules of physics and laws of nature were dropped like a rock, only gravity remaining as a lone competitor against their magnificently mysterious magic.

Wars were being waged over the processes that occurred within that magnificent building. It was ludicrous to Dresden for anyone to want to tax something so pure in its nature. None of that mattered however, for the demon had just found something to occupy his free time. While waiting for the Samhein to come and the rituals that would be practiced on that fateful day, he would find some poor and pathetic victim to render peacefully. Gathering his sword, long coat, and the Elven umbrella that he had also stolen from the poor old man, he quickly dressed and activated the said weather-defeating tool. Walking leisurely from his camp, the umbrella keeping his new coat from being ruined by the rain, the daytime 'Elf' gradually made his way down the steep slope and into the city.

It was not rare for an Elf to be walking through the streets of Radasanth bearing an elegant flowery umbrella, in fact he didn’t even catch the attention of any marketers. They all knew that the Elves thought themselves higher then the merchandise of men, so haven’t bothered hawking their wares in a long time. Only when they were able see the interested gleam of an Elf's gaze did their spirits raise enough for them to even think of hassling. Of course, nobody within this city would have ever guessed that Dresden was nothing near an Elf, for seeing is believing. If he ran the streets without an umbrella, dashing between people, they’d have thought him insane, or something other then Elven.

All a show for these fools, like the drama of the theatre, it is an itchy mask... But damn, must it be such an annoying mask? Yes, my body makes me look like an Elf, but why couldn’t Saraneth leave behind my moonlight powers so that I could walk among these fools as a simple wolf, and maybe pretend to be a mutt. Pfah, he never made anything simple...

Before he knew it, he was standing before the gate of the Citadel and walking in, completely ignoring the Monk that greeted him. They remembered him, and wordlessly guided him to a room, where he set the umbrella to dry on the side. Wiping his bare feet off on the ground, the demon walked through the gateway and almost immediately let out an obnoxious groan.

Mongrel! Did it have to be high noon! Of all the times of the day to pick, why not dusk, or even night! Midnight, even! Full moon, that’s nice and romantic! But noon? Gaaaah!

Dresden was so aggravated that his thoughts spilled out to angry mumbling as he shook himself free of water and took quick note of his surroundings. The doors to the obscure Cathedral were open, and though the light kept him from seeing who it was, a shadow stood just inside. Hopefully he hadn’t noticed him yet, and the ‘Elf’ composed himself, laying one hand seemingly lazily on his sword’s hilt. Letting his long black hair fall in front of his face on one side, he spoke out to the figure in the hollowed ground.

“I stand before you in broad daylight, yet you hide in the shadows. This is the Citadel, a place of battle, and I expect you to come and face me in the light before we begin. Unless you are the cowardly type that prefers knives in the dark.”

Grinning softly, the ‘Elf’ waited patiently and watched the shadowed person, looking for any sign of movement or a drawn weapon. With the sun high above, it would be an interesting battle, indeed.

The Runt
01-21-07, 11:50 PM
Just as Kadday reaches the doors of the cathedral, she hears Dresden’s entry to the arena with both her ears and her mind. Hiding slightly behind the broken doorway, she focuses on her opponent, closing in on the thoughts of his mind.

She finds his mind, a spark of mental energy in the otherwise empty room, but thoughts are more elusive. The lucaviafate mind is new to Kadday and there is no clarity to what she can sense. Only a fragment of a thought, projected with intense emotion, breaks through the confusion to Kadday.

…have to be high noon! Of all the…

Kadday smiles slightly at the sliver of knowledge she was able to gain.

His thoughts are unclear, it will take more intentional contact to read them fully. However, that small burst was enough. I am not sure of the context, but the feeling was clear. This creature, whatever he is, is not fond of the sun. I would do well to stay well clear of this building, the shadow and darkness inside may be more to his liking.

Dresden calls her out and Kadday responds quickly, hopefully letting her opponent know she was well aware of his presence. She steps from the egress and strides confidently down the path. Halfway between the gate and the steps she stops and plants her feet wide. Like a yoke, she places Veda’Ketu across her shoulders, looping her arms over the staff. The position looks quite awkward, but helps to stretch Kadday’s arms and prepare her for the combat to come.

“My apologies, it was not my intention to hide. I can assure you, knives and darkness are not my habit. I hail from the land you know as Fallien, where the sun is strong and the days are long.”

This lover of the night cannot find those tidings well. A friend of the sun against one who despises it so much. He will find his weakness is my desire. If he wishes to use words as the opening jabs of this fight, I will be his equal.

Kadday does her best to exude confidence, pegging her stare directly at Dresden’s face, searching for eye contact. She barely notices the flowing, raven black hair or somatic appeal Dresden’s body would normally excite in a woman. Among the Tash’Hari, the power of the mind is paramount and physical beauty means almost nothing. These habits would likely never pass in Kadday and her intense focus is unwaveringly fixed on the battle of wits that is at hand.

Ürei
01-25-07, 12:55 PM
The woman who walked out from the shadows of the cathedral, and woman she was, though even Dresden would have been hard challenged to distinguish that if her hood had been up, was definitely Fallien. He had seen the people of the sun many times and visited their lands on several occasions, none of them ever ending with happy results. The grin that had been forming on the Elf’s face only grew at this, finding it obvious that she would find an arena that would be closest to her home even when surrounded by a forest. Cathedrals of this sort were not common or even existent in her homeland, though. His grip on the Elven long sword tightened.

Moments after she had emerged, she simply proved his theory of her background, proclaiming it broadly. However, the tone of her voice made him look at her somewhat differently, because she emphasized how Fallien was a land of light where the sun seldom fell below the horizon. Now, why would a girl ever do such a thing like that when meeting an Elf, especially in such a mocking and proud tone?

Unless…she somehow knows that I dislike this sunlight? Well, well, it seems like she hear my aggravated thoughts. Maybe I will just have to guard myself a little bit better. So, if you are hearing this, meet my friend.

At that, every single fiber of his mind concentrated on one thing, the image of a demon, laughing and smiling and sticking his tongue out. Keeping that image firm, he let his morbid grin drop and began to hunch over a little into a battle stance. Dresden’s eyes had a faint glimmer in them, the amber glowing only at a fraction of its previous glory, even though the sun stood straight overhead. This would be a very interesting battle for him, keeping an image solid in mind and letting nothing get in the way.

“Well, Fallien is it?” He gave it a moment to sink in before he continued, unable to help himself but let a shadow of his dark grin return, “Last I heard my dark friends were ripping your precious Fallien to shreds. Pulling down the walls of Irrakam and scourging the bloodied sands for lonely tribes like the Calerians and whichever lost fools you come from. I bet you will have family to bury after my friends are done with your land.”

The grin then disappeared, allowing his body to relax. If he were to have any inkling of a chance against this girl in his daylight form, he would have to be at the top of his game. Letting her make the first move, and not bothering to give his name, Dresden’s eyes watched every fold of her clothing to try and predict a movement. At the same time, his peripheral was more thoroughly sweeping the surroundings. If he was to win, he would somehow have to get into some deep shade. The forest beyond this clearing was dark enough, but the light was broken and it would be risky. Whilst keeping that obscene image on the forefront of his mind, he tried to plan his steps, thinking of a way to maneuver her away from the dark of the church.

The Runt
01-25-07, 11:43 PM
For a moment, Kadday lock eyes with Dresden as he conjures up the image of the demon of hell. The image is nothing more than a thought and Kadday easily dismisses its horror, but the hideous face obscures any other information and Kadday quickly breaks off her probing, her Knowledge abilities having reached their limit.

News of the siege of Irrakama is Kadday. The Tash’Hari keep close track of the events across Althanas. The elders, with their powerful far-seeing capabilities, often knew more about a war than the commanders who sent their men to die. The uprising in Fallien was no different, in fact, because of its proximity to the Gardens, special attention was given to tracking the war and its participants. Of course, Kadday, as a Vakrin was not able to acquire the amount of knowledge the other Tash’Hari easily passed from one to another. Still, she knew one thing. The harpies and the Cultists, indeed, the combined military might of the entire continent, posed absolutely no threat to her family. Dresden’s dire remarks are laughable and Kadday indulges in an ironic grin at his threats.

“Lost fools you say?? You should mind your words more carefully, you could fall over dead were you stand if the most powerful of my people willed it. You misunderstand me. I am from Fallien, my home and people reside in those lands, but I am not of Fallien. I hold Irrakama no more dear than I do Radasanth, Ettermire, or any other city of brick and stone. You seek to alarm me with your desperate revelations, but I know of the attacks on Irrakama and knew of their coming long before the first harpy took flight over her walls.”

“Harpies and Cultists are no more dangerous than dust to my family. Dark forces could siege for a thousand years and my people would never fall. Even the weakest of my great race would tear ten thousand harpies limb from limb without the slightest effort. No, none of my family will be buried, even in these dark days. You need not worry though, I am not a true child of my race, a far weaker than even a child among my people, and against me you may have a chance.”

As she replies, Kadday matches Dresden’s movements as he drops into a combat stance. Veda’Ketu slides slowly from her shoulders into a two handed defensive posture in front of her. When it is clear Dresden is awaiting her first move, Kadday takes a moment to plan her attack, taking note of the resources the environment provides her.

Open ground and that gate protect him. He will see my attack coming no matter what I do and he seems content to wait for me to come at him. It will be best to be cautious in my aggression.

From her defensive stance, Kadday bursts into a sprint straight down the path toward Dresden, her staff now in one hand. The gate has closed and latched shut after Kadday passed through and it now blocks her path. Seemingly oblivious to the obstruction, Kadday continues at full tilt, past the point at which slowing to open the gate is a feasible option. Inches before impact, Kadday reaches out with her mind, lifting the small latch and shoving the gate hard with telekinetic force. She does not slow a step as the wall flashes by and she delivers a powerful, arcing sweep of her staff at the maximum possible range of the weapon. With two hands gripping the steel capped end of the weapon she aims at the bridge of Dresden’s nose. Hit or miss, the momentum of the swing follows easily into an overhead downward strike during which Kadday finally slows her steps to set her feet in a balanced position, maintaining some distance between herself and Dresden.

Ürei
01-26-07, 12:32 PM
All of what she said was supposed to get Dresden off balance, and the knowledge that there was a race of powerful beings on this dreadful planet that he didn’t personally know about did somewhat disquiet him, however when she was done, it was nothing but a show. She was losing her confidence in her own abilities, and thought that bragging about the capabilities of the rest of her race would somehow instill fear in him for her miniscule amount of control in that omnipotent ability. Dresden’s grin didn’t slide from his face, however, and he remained as quiet and still as ever. But, in his mind, a war was raging. If the extent of their ability was to control things with their minds, then his race had probably been one of the very last that would have been able to stand up to them.

The Lucaviafate, when they are at their most powerful, were beings designed for destruction. They were born from the death of the Goddess of Destruction, and their blood is running pure with darkness and war. However, their bodies were also designed so that they could defeat nearly any enemy. The most powerful of their race were able to control their metaphysical forms to the extent where they could walk into the halls of the gods and instill fear in the divine beings that rested there. But, what was most important to this scenario was the fact that all Lucaviafate had control over their metaphysical essences and surroundings, and thus if needed could put up a personal barrier which disallowed any magic or physic energies to pass through. It was the only way they even survived the first war against their magical hunters. Unfortunately, all of those demons were dead now. Dresden stood as the last one, and he was a broken thing. A mere shadow of what he once was.

Just as the girl found humor in his minor ignorance, the demon found humor in her ignorance as well. Opening his mind for a moment, he showed her images of the Shadow Slaughter war where his race battled the Shadolith, who had physic and magical capabilities beyond what most people could even imagine. Whilst a single Shadolith, if released, could most likely destroy most of Althanas before being stopped, an army of two hundred trillion had easily taken out the Lucaviafate race. This was not a threat, though, and he made sure she felt that in him. This was a warning. If they ever made their way to Althanas, not even her race that she placed on such a high pedestal would be safe from their dark destruction.

Dresden was done with mind games, though, and sealed himself off once more. She was advancing, bursting through the gate as it opened for her. Probably one of those lovely tricks she had spoken about. Whilst she burst forward, she kept her distance, leaving herself still able to guard the church. Smart, at least he could give her that. But there was one problem with the distance she kept, and as the staff came swinging around at a decently surprising speed, all Dresden had to do was jump backwards and it passed harmlessly before him. Watching her balance, and the trained understanding she had for her weapon, the demon suddenly realized that he probably stood little chance against her in pure melee. He would have to get into the darkness somehow, or risk being destroyed.

I won’t let this cocky little girl break me, even if it is the Citadel. She has skill, and in the daylight, I am no match for her. But in the dark I will be able to keep up, at least.

Grumbling softly to himself, he backed up again, in a defensive stance. Unwilling to attack yet, he simply resolved to carefully watching. If he attacked, he would lose the confrontation, for her skill vastly outmatched his. Only with his natural weapons would he be on even playing ground. But, even then, Dresden would be constantly worrying that his powers might betray him. If they did, he was done for.

Heh, at least it’s a challenge. Something I need after being dead for a few years.

The Runt
01-28-07, 11:49 PM
With the verbal sparring and mind games passed, Kadday focuses all her energy into the physical fight. Dresden’s retreat is not unexpected, although she wonders why an opponent with a notable size advantage would flee. However, she does not hesitate pressing her attack. The feeling is familiar, facing a retreating opponent who seems reluctant to engage. Without the use of their immense mental abilities, none of the Tash’Hari had the physical capability to challenge Kadday. As a result, effective counter-attacks and sustained defense were rare in her training. Her natural instinct is to continue the flow from one attack into the next, reducing the ability of her opponent to strike back. As long as she remains on the offensive, Kadday has no doubt her hesitant opponent’s defenses will eventually fail.

It is strange that one so unwilling to attack would find their way to a place such as this. There is certainly more to this man than what is readily apparent. I feel the quicker I can end this, the greater my chance for success.

With her mind fixed on the physical acts of attacking, Kadday had missed Dresden’s attempts to show the Shadolith and their power, which would also have provided a glimpse into the Lucaviafate she faced now. The concentration required for Kadday to read thoughts was more than she could spare during combat and for the moment she is limited to her physical senses.

Hoping to land an early blow, Kadday initiates a riskier attack. Allowing Veda’Ketu to bounce off the path, Kadday uses the energy of the rebound to bring the staff back to the height of Dresden’s chest. Still grasping the butt of the staff with both hands, she takes a step forward and thrusts at Dresden’s chest, wielding the staff like a great sword. While the blunt steel cap on the end of the weapon would not inflict the damage of a blade, a blow to the unarmored ribs of her opponent would provide an excellent foundation on which to continue her advance.

Ürei
02-01-07, 08:34 PM
No reaction. Disappointing, but Dresden would live. The battling of wits had ended on the woman’s side once she brandished her weapon. As he watched though, she took the disappointment of missing him on her first blow very well, and in fact managed to change it into a whole new attack. Rebounding the staff up from the ground with a bit of unnecessary flair that gave him a moment to guess what she was going to attack around the middle and prepare for it. A swing across the chest would probably be the most damaging, and maybe shatter a few ribs.

Instead of a swing, however, she jabbed the end right at him, catching him off guard. With a roll to the side, the metal cap on the strange staff caught his shoulder. Arcs of pain shot down his left arm as he stood back up, but it was nothing but a glancing blow; no bones were broken, it wasn’t that painful. His new situation evoked a grin however, for her attack put her off balance and now he was on her left. The church was an open target. Not even bothering to watch for her next move Dresden made a mad dash for the fence. It was a low fence and the daytime body of his easily leaped it, barely slowing his rush.

“Little girl of light, I hope you’re not afraid of the dark!”

Leaping into the misty gloom of the inside of the church, Dresden felt a refreshing wave of energy enter his body. At the same time, he felt the discomforting shattering of his should as it shredded and began to slowly drain from his body. Staying here too long in heated battle would bring him down even faster, but maybe he could rip her to pieces long before. Not slowing until he reached the back of the room, the demon glanced around for anything usable, and found nothing but broken benches, a shattered altar, and remains of old carpets. The musky dim light inside was bright enough to easily see, yet the darkness was just as deep as his body thrived.

Come, come, little girl. Come face the monster in the dark, the creature that hides behind your door and under your bed.

Laughing cruelly, the demon roared a lupine howl as his back split and the massive bone wings burst forth. Not taking a moment to spare, black membrane and hide spread over the bones, forming a perfect enormous set of bat wings. The amber glow in his eyes brightened, piercing the darkness, as he watched the doorway with cautious ease. Aligning his energies, he focused next on his hand while keeping some attention on that threshold. She would be coming very soon, and it couldn’t be soon enough. The skin on his palm and wrist began to squirm then grow up, darkening to a black. His fingers and lower arm followed, gradually transforming into the Lich’s Gauntlet. Long sharp steel claws replaced his fingernails, and a satisfying sound of sliding dark metal ended the metamorphosis.

The Runt
02-09-07, 12:11 AM
For directional reference: Door faces north, so facing the door East will be to the left side of the cathedral, West to the right.

A satisfying vibration quivers from Veda’Ketu into Kadday’s hands, indicial of a successful thrust. Pushing through the attack, she drops to one knee and sweeps low and hard, hoping to take Dresden off his feet with a shot to the ribs. As she completes her revolution, the staff passes within inches of her opponent, skittering off the path under the sole of his trailing foot.

She rises slowly, contemplating her fleeing opponent. What secret lies in the dark that he is so eager to unfold? Knowing that she has lost an advantage, Kadday takes her time following Dresden into the darkness. The haunting howl of the demonesque transformation filter out of the gloomy apertures of the hall, reaching Kadday’s ears.

Something has changed, that sound would not emit from the same man that stood before me only moments ago. Whatever he has become, he will have to bide his time. Let him have his shadows to himself.

In truth, Kadday is not disappointed that Dresden has made his way to a place of strength. Another test against a weakened opponent will prove nothing. If she is to win, her foe cannot be held back. If this spells inevitable defeat, then so be it.

However, this does not mean Kadday has thrown caution to the wind. It would be an obvious blunder to follow Dresden’s footsteps into whatever trap is laid and Tash’Hari, even the Vakrin, are never ones to fall into foolishness for lack of thought. Thus, she briefly inspects the door before walking around to the east side of the castle. Towering stained glass, once awe inspiring in its beauty, is darkened with age and decay. A full third of the northernmost of these antiquated windows is missing, leaving a sizeable hole at its base. With an alternate entrance in mind, Kadday steps away from the wall to sit in the grass, closing her eyes and focusing her mind.

Moving from combat to the meditative state necessary for Kadday to achieve the focus necessary for far-seeing is difficult. Adrenaline, distractions, and the need to remain aware of the surrounding environment impede her abilities. For a moment, she can see herself seated in the grass, her vision shifting out of her own body, but the slightest distraction, a slight pop from the stones of the cathedral as the heat of the sun warms the surface, breaks her concentration and the image flees as darkness from the light.

Frustrated, Kadday pounds her fist into the grass, with little effect on the dirt and a slight twinge of pain to her fingers. Cursing, she rises to her feet, rubbing her hand to work out the annoyance. Failure. Again. Discouraged, she puts her plan into action using the abilities she knows she can rely on.

Retreating a few more steps, Kadday can now see both the door and her impromptu entryway. The simplest of Tash’Hari abilities is to affect the physical environment. Even Kadday is capable of telekinetic manipulations of some strength. In this case, her target is the precariously positioned door, balancing against its standing partner. Reaching with mind and hand, she pulls at the pivoting corner of the wooden slab, disrupting the delicate equilibrium it had achieved. As the imbalanced door totters, Kadday sprints toward the eastern façade, diving headfirst over the low sill of the window and hoping her timing is right.

While not perfect, the effect is satisfactory. An instant before Kadday passes through the threshold the door slips from its perch and smashes heavily into the stone staircase, producing an adequate cacophony to mask her entrance. Rolling at impact, Kadday stays below the height of the disheveled pews. The floor, worn smooth by the feet of loyal parishioners of old, is cool against her cheek as she lies as low as possible, searching with her ears, eyes, and mind for any sign of her foe.

Ürei
02-09-07, 08:55 PM
The darkness was thirsty.

Growling with ambitious impatience, Dresden watched the light of the entrance. His eyes had adjusted to the dim darkness and could see nothing outside that threshold. His eyes remained on the entrance, watching everything for a sign of movement, but his mind began to drift. The church’s pews were only half in tact, most of them shattered and ripped apart by something. All the walls were still together, and the room remained nearly one piece. On either side stained glass windows stood, one or two with missing pieces. He would have to keep an attentive eye on those, make sure he didn’t get too close. The images on the portals were something to laugh at however, and it instantly made him realize this was no holy church.

Demons, Baphomet, goblins, and ogres were displayed on those massive panes. The demon stifled a laugh at the irony of fighting in a demon worshiping church. This was unholy ground, blood-soaked and removed of any trace of hollowed blessing. Whoever had constructed this arena had a morbid sense of humor, and the Lucaviafate found an instant respect for him or her.

Flexing his claws, Dresden decided to stop waiting and start acting. Somewhere outside the girl would be entering soon, and he needed to be prepared for her. She wanted to wait and plan, then he would too. Stretching his wings to their max he leapt and gave one massive thrust, blasting to the top of the arching doorway. Thrusting in claws in his hands and feet, he closed his black wings around his body and waited, upside-down, on the wall overtop the arch. As soon as she moved through, he would have her and end this game.

Now, at least, that was the original plan. Yet, suddenly, something broke inside the arch and it grew massively unstable. Knowing it couldn’t possibly have been his weight; he yowled angrily and burst from the doorway. Barely being missed by the collapse, he slammed into the ground with too much speed and spun, slowing himself with claws. An unbidden growl of annoyance at her tactics bubbled forth, but stopped almost as soon as it started.

She wouldn’t have done that unless she had another way in. That means she must be inside. There’s no way she can get in through that door now.

“Well…that was clever…where are you, little girl?”

Standing, he moved to the first row of pews and grasped the bottom edge with his Lich’s Touch and ripped it upwards, sending the wooden bench flying into the pews behind it, listening for a sound. After nothing, he continued. If necessary, he was going to rip everything apart in here until he found her.

And here she said she didn’t play games of shadows and daggers!

The Runt
02-11-07, 10:18 PM
The shock from the collapsing arch ripples through the floor, sending vibrations through Kadday’s body. A cloud of dust and fragmented stone spews from the demolished architecture, rushing across the floor and under the pews into Kadday’s face, forcing her to close her eyes and turn away, protecting her head with her arms. She stifles a small gasp of pain as a tiny sliver cuts a thin line across the back of her hand, blood seeping slowly from the threadlike slice. The shattered cloud settles to the floor and her body, streaking grey through her ruddy hair. As the dust clears, she can hear Dresden moving after the fall.

“Well…that was clever…where are you, little girl?”

Kadday quickly quells the rising indignation at his demeaning remarks.

Arrogant creature. I must maintain control. Hopefully he thinks I actually have the power to cause that collapse. This building must be more precarious than it appears, which is unstable at best. I did little to cause such destruction.

Feeling carefully with her free left hand, Kadday grasps a sharp piece of rock that has been shorn from the pillar to the south. Though she does not take notice of it, the fragment is an unusual stone to find in a cathedral. Rather than polished marble or stout granite, many of the interior facades have been sheathed in obsidian, the black stone glinting even in the dim light. She also fails to notice the nature of the damage to this particular pillar. Three parallel gouges have torn through the pillar eight feet above the floor, eerily similar to the marks one would expect from a massive, clawed hand.

Hiding behind the fourth pew in line, fragments of the shattered bench smash against Kadday’s cover as larger portions hurtle past. For a moment everything is quiet except the pronounced cracking still issuing from the walls around the doorway as stone and mortar settle to their new places. The second wooden seat shatters under the force of Lichs Touch as Dresden continues his search. Breath shifts the thin layer of dust collected on the floor at Kadday’s chin as she steels herself to confront an opponent she now knows posses far greater strength than herself.

Whatever I see, I must not be fazed. Intelligent focus will defeat his strength.

Straining to stay as low and quiet as possible, Kadday pushes up onto both hands and feet, bending one leg under her body to give her leverage to stand. Pushing smoothly from the floor, she rises silently to her feet. Dresden stands only a few feet away, but the remaining pew blocks the path between them. In the brief moment before Dresden notices her, she evaluates her metamorphosed foe before speaking. In the darkness, only his shape is clear. Batlike wings darkened skin suck at the light, creating an aphotic silhouette in the murk.

Teth tellar*, what creature is that? Based on Dresden’s position near the door, Kadday assumes he had some sort of trap planned for her upon entry, thanking her caution for avoiding it.

“Look no further, beast of darkness. I will not remain concealed. I assured you deception was not my intention. However, you offered no such assurances, so it seemed an indirect entry was wise. Was I correct? Were you hiding in the dark, waiting for me to walk through blindly? Is that how you must face me?”

As she speaks, Dresden turns to face Kadday and their stares lock for a moment. There is not time to seek out a specific point of the mind to touch, but Kadday sends a mental burst of stimulus across the space with nothing more than hope to guide it to a useful end.

As the telepathic distraction is sent forth, an assault of ancient origins is also underway. The bladelike shard of obsidian flies from her hand, aided in its course by the telekinetic brush of Kadday’s mind. Though the change would be nearly imperceptible in the darkness, the gentle redirections push the projectile onto a course for the joint of Dresden’s neck and collar bone. Pushing with her mind, she speed the projectile onward and braces for the inevitable counter attack.

Requesting permission for the slight bunny of Dresden, will edit if not approved.

*Teth tellar – A Tash’Hari expression roughly translated “Good tidings,” meant to bestow good luck against an obstacle for the one who speaks.