PDA

View Full Version : The most beautiful voice (Completely and totally open)

Seraphima
01-24-07, 10:36 PM
Rat tat-tat. Tap-ta-tat.

Soft and short were the sounds that came as the blind woman's walking staff probed the area in front of her. It was a simple wooden cane, about four feet long, and she held it in her right hand, while she held Maurizio's harness strap tightly in her left hand.

She had to stop every now and again so that children could pet her dog without getting separated from him...such a thought made Seraphima's heart clench up in dread. Maurz was the only set of eyes she had, and she would feel lost without him.

It was a delightful place, Scara Brae. She'd only arrived there a few days before, and didn't know anyone...but it's amazing how many women are willing to chat while their children are pestering your dog.

Another such interruption came, as inevitably it must.

"What's his name?" It was a little girl, no older than eight, by the sound of her voice, and Sara smiled, more than happy to answer the question...for the two dozenth time on the same street.

"His name is Maurizio. He's been with me a while now."

"Why are you blind-folded? Are you playing a game with your friends?"

Sara shook her head gently, silver-gold curls bouncing slightly over slender shoulders. "No, it's not a game. I can't see. That's why I can take my dog around like this. He sees for me and takes care of me, and in return I take care of him and give him a good home." Sara knelt down next to her dog, wrapping her arms around his thick neck. "We're both very lucky to have each other."

Pat pat pat, the dog's tail sounded against her as he wagged his tail, and she could feel it on her skin, almost like a gentle hug. "Now, you'd better get back to your mother...and, out of curiosity...where am I?"

"Not far from market square. Keep going, and you can get all the way to the castle, if you just turn left."

Sara smiled at the little one. "Thank you very much. Come on, Maurz." She took the leather strap in her hand again, and the dog continued leading her down the street.

Finally they came to a bench, and Sara sat down, her lab at her feet. To the passersby, they looked like a beautiful girl with a beautiful dog. Sara herself had long platinum blonde hair that naturally formed into big loose curls, and she was a little short and slender, with such a delicately pale shade of skin that one could see her veins through it, like little impurities in the finest scupltor's marble. Her dress was a simple linen thing, pale blue with a wide, darker blue ribbon separating the bodice from the blowing skirts. The dog was a black lab with a thick coat that such small hands could bury themselves in easily, and at his muzzle, paws, and tail were chestnut brown points, and he wore a simple harness to let Sara keep hold of him. He looked up at his owner with eyes the color of the finest melted chocolate and seemed to give a sigh, which she heard and reached out to scratch his head.

"We'll move on in a little bit, Maurz...it's just so loud and confusing out here. And when we go home, I can make us something to eat."

The dog wagged his tail, and it made a soft brushing sound against the stones of the street.

{Kid disasteR}
01-24-07, 11:59 PM
Scara Brae. Curious. I wonder how it is porperly pronounced.

Solo's curiosity managed to drown out the hustle and bustle of the buisy town. He wasn't used to being in the presence of so many people at once. Living in a secluded ice palace tends to make one accustomed to solitude. Still, there was a comforting sense of joy in the air. It seemed the people of this particular market place had placed their worries of the inevitable war aside for today. It was good to see people thrive even in the harshest of times. It made Solo proud of his human heritage.

Solo turned to face the street, admiring all the wondrous sites that were before him. The first site that caught his eye was a mother teaching her daughters how to tell when a particular fruit is ripe. Solo smiled as the tiny children tapped the side of the yellow melon with their ears pressed against it. Their giggles rang out above all other sounds in Solo's ears. Laughter. It was a rare luxury in his former home.

The gentle tapping of wood against stone caught Solo's ear and his eyes darted in the direction of the sound. It was a young woman, awkwardly making her way down the street. If the chocolate dog leading the woman wasn't a dead give away, then one would know her sight had left her when one saw the blindfold covering her eyes. Solo found himself staring at the young woman, not in pity, but in admiration.

What a strong woman she must be. Though her sight is lost she presses on, continuing her life regardless of her lost sense. Such courage.

The young woman's sunshine hair bounced about majestically as she took a seat on a pine bench. Her fair skin almost glowed in the sunlight. It was beautiful, unlike Solo's skin which was almost blue it was so pale. He admired the woman a bit longer before making his way to the bench she rested upon. He slouched down in the bench, arms draped across the back like a lounge chair. He looked first at her lab, then at the young woman, then again at the street. He spoke softly to the young woman's mind.

" That is a fine dog you have there miss. I'm sure with all these children around you've been asked already, but might I trouble you for your canine companion's name? Perhaps, your name as well? "

Seraphima
01-25-07, 09:19 AM
Sara had been 'watching' the world, after her own manner. She could hear the laugher of children; mothers scolding their young to come along, it would be dark soon; the sounds of the wind rustling the leaves of what must be a very magnificent tree indeed; the gurgle of a fountain as water shot up and the little patter of drops as they fell back into the little pool. And of course, there was the sound of Maurz's breathing as he sat patiently at her feet.

It was a quiet and peaceful world, one that would have been quite inviting to stay in if only there were jobs for blind women.

Blind, she thought with a sigh. Just because I can't see they call me blind. There are a lot of things I can do. I can learn to do things by touch, or by scent. I could even, I guess, learn things by taste. I heard once that food critics were needed somewhere...

She was brought out of her reverie by the scuff of heavy boots on the stone nearby, and the sound of Maurz's breathing changed as he sat up and looked at someone who was approaching.

The wooden bench made a soft crick sound as this new person sat down...just downwind enough for her to catch faintly the smell of animal fur.

It must be so unbearably hot under all that fur...

Sara let the man have his peace...not everyone knew how to talk to a "handicapped" person, and whether they knew or not, not many normally tried.
Maurizio kept a sharp eye on this tall man, inherently suspicious of any man that might pose a threat to his mistress. The big black dog edged closer to Sara, who patted his head as he laid his head in her lap.

When the man spoke to her, Sara turned her head -- no need to do so, save that people liked having you "look" at them when they were talking to you. He asked about the dog's name, and then did something fairly rare -- asked about hers. She smiled, rose-petal pink mouth showing just a little bit of perfect pearl teeth.

"This big, handsome, intelligent fellow," she began in an airy, but crystal clear voice, "my best friend and boon companion in all walks of life, goes by Maurizio, but that's a mouthful, so most people who know him call him Maurz." She'd tucked her cane into the crook of her arm and ruffled the dog's ears as she spoke, and she could hear him panting contentedly, and the whish sound his tail made on the ground as it wagged back and forth.

"My name is Seraphima...also a mouthful, so most who know me call me Sara. May we have the pleasure of knowing your name, as well?"

Maurizio looked at Sara. She normally didn't speak to people who hadn't spoken to her...and this guy, though he had looked at her, hadn't said a word. It definitely bore watching.

{Kid disasteR}
01-25-07, 11:23 AM
" Maurizio. " said Solo aloud. " A fine name for a fine animal. " Solo smiled warmly at the dog, well as warmly as one in his condition could. Solo spoke once again to the young woman's mind.

" Seraphima was it? A lovely name. Very exotic, unlike mine. " Solo chuckled at the thought of his name. He found it entertaining how common it was amongst humans, and how unusual it was amongst the imps. Most imps, whether half or full bread, were given Impish names. He never understood why his father had chosen a human name for him, after all his father despised humans.

" I'm sorry, my thoughts are wandering. " said Solo to the mind of Seraphima. " My name is Samuel Oliver Logan. Some call me Solo, but Samuel will do just fine. "

Just as Solo had finished his sentence, a rather forceful breeze blew in from the east. The cold wind scattered bits of dust and twigs across the cobblestone streets. The women held onto their dresses and the men onto their hats. It seemed nightfall would be coming soon, a refreshing thought, for it was much colder in the night. It reminded Solo of his home land of Salvar. Of course the northern part of that country, the place he once called home, was cold year round. Even during the day the temperature stayed below forty degrees, and that was during the summer.

Solo was unused to these warm climates. Fortunately for him it wasn't too warm outside, only about seventy degrees, and with the temperature dropping with the sun he could be much more comfortable.

Solo turned once again to look over the young woman. She was thin, like him. Of course she wasn't near as tall, but Solo felt uncomfortable around women taller than he was. It made him feel insignificant. So it was probably for the best that she was shorter than he was.

It suddenly came to his attention how odd it was that a sightless woman would be wandering the streets with none beside her but her dog.

" Excuse me. I mean not to pry, but what reason have you for wandering the market place at dusk? Have you a place to stay for the night? "

Seraphima
01-25-07, 12:15 PM
"Samuel? I've never met a Samuel before, that I know of."

Sara grinned, turning her head into the wind. She loved how it felt as it swept through the curls of her hair and over the smooth skin of her face, almost like a lover's gentle caress.

It also brought with it sounds from farther away, faint cries of birds and people that swirled just on the verge of perceptibility before being carried away by the same breeze.

Maurizio's ears pricked up in the wind as well, but there wasn't anything to hear or smell more interesting than what was happening here. A man who could speak...but communicated with his mistress through other means. And now Sara turned to face this man again, to answer some question.

"What reason for walking at dusk? You'll have to forgive me...but noon, dawn...dusk, midnight...they all look pitch black to me. I'm out because I enjoy sitting outside...there's a lot more to hear and feel out here than in a tiny room, and of course a dog this big needs a lot of exercise. And Maurz likes having the children pet him almost as much as they love petting him."

Sara smiled at the dog whose head was still on her lap.

"And yes, I have a place to stay, and Maurizio knows the way back. He takes good care of me."

{Kid disasteR}
01-25-07, 01:53 PM
Solo chuckled at his own ignorance.

" Yes, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose it makes no difference what time of day you travel. Then again, even in quiet places like this, there is evil lurking in the darkness. Though you may not being greatly effected by the light of day, there are those who thrive in the shadows. "

Solo looked down once again at the dog. It's head rested heavily on Seraphima's lap. It's breathing was easier now, softer. It seemed with the heat of day gone, Maurizio could relax as easily as Solo could.

" Then again, I suppose with a guardian like him- " said Solo rubbing the muscular dog's thick, furry back. " -it would be all too easy to keep the creatures of the night at bay. "

Solo smiled as he petted the dog gently. Solo had a pet once, but that was a short lived experience. It was a young snow fox. Solo had found it's weakened body buried in the snow just outside the palace. But when he brought it inside to nurture it, his scowled at it in disgust. He told Solo to leave it outside, that what would become of it was a matter of fate, and the Solo should not have interfered.

It made Solo sad to think of times like this. he began to wonder why he missed home at all. Was it the familiarity he missed? The day to day routine that lacked any chance of disappointment or suprise? Solo did not know. When he thought about it, his childhood was rather dull. The most excitement he ever experienced had happened outside of Salvar, in the foreign lands he knew nothing about. He had met many new people, tasted many new foods, seen many new sites. All in all it had been a pleasant journey. Definitely more pleasant than his days with his father.

And then of course, there was her.

Solo turned his attention back to Seraphima. He had only met her a few minutes ago, but he felt a connection with her. A sort of need to protect her. And yet, at the same time, he felt secure around her, as if the rest of the world did not exist, and it was only the three of them.

This feeling was contradicted when a lanky, dirty man came walking down the street. He held a long iron rod in his hand with a candle lit on the end. It seemed that the street lights were being lit. It was then that Solo realized how late it had gotten. It was already dark outside.

" My the time passes quickly when in good company. " Solo smiled and turned back towards Seraphime. Normally he would be searching for a place to sleep right now, but it seemed right the three of them, sitting on the bench, enjoying the night air. The crickets began chirping, and a sense of calm overcame Solo. He closed his eyes, and exhaled deeply.

Seraphima
01-25-07, 02:31 PM
Shf-shf-shf-shf...cree...tlak.

S'ing...s'ing...chee!

Sara's head turned toward the lamp-lighter as he moved past. "It's getting dark earlier....either that, or Maurizio let me sleep late today. I'd be surprised of that, though...someone enjoys having his breakfast on time." She ruffled the dog's ears.

Maurz, meanwhile, was putting up with this strange man petting him. He hadn't been hostile towards Sara...and wasn't looking to harm her. Still, he much prefered the hands of children, or the hands of his mistress.

But now Sara was speaking again. "Yes, there are dangers in the dark, but between his teeth and the risk of getting jabbed with my walking stick, most people leave us alone at night. It's scariest during the day, because occasionally there will be a group or two of boys who do not understand that I need this dog...they think he's something to play with and torment, and try to take him away. He can't very well bite children, and I can't very well beat them...but there are few things I wouldn't prefer to losing him...he's the only set of eyes I have."

The crickets grew louder, and Maurz whimpered. He enjoyed chasing the crickets, and Sara relented. "Oh, all right. But only for a little, and then come right back...and stay within earshot, okay?" The black tail wagged and the dog jogged off to chase the insects. Sara could hear his excited breathing and the staccatto clacking of sixteen claws on the stone.

"There are so many of them tonight. I'd say several dozen, just in this courtyard."

With the dog out of hand's reach for the moment (and a nervous few moments it would be, even though she could still hear the dog's soft footsteps), Sara shifted her walking stick so it was held in both hands.

"Your voice sounds different when talking to the dog and talking to me."

{Kid disasteR}
01-25-07, 09:44 PM
Solo smiled. It was a rare occasion that he spoke aloud around a humanoid. He usually only spoke aloud when the moment demanded it; speaking to multiple persons for example.

" I beg your pardon, I meant not to confuse you. You see, right now, I am communicating with you telepathically. It is a trait I enherited from my father. You could say it runs in the family. "

Solo looked up and watched Maurizio chase the musical insects about the courtyard. " You see I value my privacy. This applies to my conversations with others as well. You never know who could be listening. " said Solo to Seraphima's mind. A soft smile eased it's way across his face. " Now in the case of your furry friend, I speak to him aloud so as not to confuse him. If he were to hear me speaking to him, but not see my mouth moving, he may become frightened or uneasy. This of course happens with people as well, but not as often as animals. "

Solo brought his legs up off of the ground and crossed them on the bench, resting his elbow on his right knee, and his chin on his palm. He began to ponder something he had never been able to solve on his own. In fact, it was impossible for him to truly know, other than taking some one else's word for it. But Seraphima was very kind and seemed like a trustworthy individual. Perhaps now was a good time to ask.

" I hope you don't mind my asking, but, I have always wondered, how does it sound when I speak to your mind compared to when I speak aloud? Does it make you uncomfortable when I speak to your mind? Or is my voice unpleasant in any way? "

Seraphima
01-25-07, 10:35 PM
Sara's head tilted slightly as she reflected. She'd heard him change position, if only by the creaking of the bench and the soft rustling of fur-on-fur.

"It sounds...it sounds like you're talking to me through water," she said, in response to his question. "Only...in my head, if that makes any sense. A little distorted, but too close for it to make your voice incomprehensible. It's also a lot quieter. When speaking aloud, there is always some distance, and the air has a little bit of effect on the quality of a voice, as does such factors as whether they're sick or hale, whether they've just eaten or not, old or young...umm...whether or not they're thirsty. That's a big one. It's probably both more and less uncomfortable for me than for a normal person, since I can't see you. I can't see your lips moving when you talk, anyway, so there's very little chance of me getting confused by it. However, you could be mere inches from me, and I couldn't tell, or you could be all the way across the courtyard. Right now, I know you're just shy of my arm's length away on the same bench, because you moved and the bench is made of wooden slats with some iron work to keep it together, and it makes noise when someone moves. I...hope that helped."

She sighed softly, her head tilting down toward her hands.

Maurizio came back, holding something delicately in his mouth. He nudged Sara's leg softly, and her head turned toward him. "Yes, Maurz?"

He nudged her hand with his nose, and she held her hand out. He dropped something into it (Solo could easily see it was a cricket), and Sara cried out in surprise when it had six little points and a hard part.

"It's! Oh, it's a cricket, isn't it, Maurz?" She ran a finger gently over the insect's carapace, treasuring the fleeting feel of the hard bumps on its back and little hairs on its legs. "It's a big one."

{Kid disasteR}
01-25-07, 11:20 PM
" Interesting. " said Solo, considering what Serapima had just told him.

" That was very enlightening. You were very descriptive, almost as if you were a poet. An excellent choice of words Seraphima. "

Solo smiled. He enjoyed the way Seraphima described things. She did so in a way that not even an elf, with it's naturally heightened senses, could. Her words painted a perfect picture. Of course, words had to be developed in the mind before they are spoken aloud, much as a painter must imagine the image they wish to paint in their mind, before they begin to put it onto canvas. Unless, of course, they were an abstract painter. perhaps if her life had been different, Seraphima could have been an artist.

Solo turned his attention back to Maurzirio, who dropped a slobbery cricket into Seraphima's hand. Solo was pleased by the sight of it. It's dark brown skeleton shimmered in the dim light of the street lamps. In a way, Solo was envious of Seraphima. Though she could not see the cricket she held in her hand, she was still able to hold it. Solo's skin was too cold to hold such a tiny creature. it would most likely freeze to death in his very hand. Solo's smile faded from his pale face, which now portrayed an expression of sorrow. How could one who's very heart beat ice ever know the warmth of companionship?

Solo let out a deep sigh. He was somewhat annoyed with his melancholy tendencies. It was a beautiful night, and he was in the company of two beautiful souls, and yet he was unhappy.

Solo crawled from the bench and laid his back flat on the cold cobblestones. He gazed up at the night sky, hoping to see it decorated with stars. But to his dismay, the sky was full of clouds. Not even the moon was visible.

" Pardon me, Seraphima? Are you ever disheartened by your condition? "

Patois
01-25-07, 11:51 PM
You'd have to be blind not to notice when a furball little over a foot tall darts between your ankles. As it so happens, even the blind notice in this instant. Even before Maurizio barks with surprise, the woman sitting on the bench would startlingly take notice of the small tropical monkey running past. The man laying on the ground near them wouldn't haven have time to sit up before the brown ball of fur rushed past him, just inches from his body. The poor guide dog probably got the worst scare out of the three of them, the small primate vaulting right over him as it scampered beyond. Even past them, a few people in the thinning crowd jumped with surprise at the sprinting monkey as it lept, grabbing a broad-shouldered man by the back of his shirt and scampering up to his shoulder. Angio turned his head quickly, his dreadlocks whipping over his shoulder as he looked stunned at his pet's arrival, his face immediately showing embarassment. He raised a suspicious eyebrow at the spider monkey, the few people gathered around looking at the commotion.

"Sha'hkrai... what have you done now?"

Angio's eyebrows furrowed like a father scolding a child, as the small monkey clung to something hidden between his paws. The monkey circled around his master's neck quickly to perch on the other shoulder, concealing the hidden possession he had. Before Angio would turn to look at him again, an eye would shoot over his shoulder. He felt eyes on him- in a matter of speaking- and not just the curious crowd. Shaking the feeling off, he turned his head again.

"Sha'hkrai, show me what you've got..."

The monkey shook it's head in protest, letting out a shrill bark of protest. Tapping his foot, Angio scowled, staring at his pet.

"What do you have, and who did you get it from?"

The sailor felt that he would find out sooner rather than later, but for now his eyes fell back on the pair by the benches and the very confused looking canine near them.

I'll have to go apologize to them... at least in a moment.

For now he bided his time in staring down his pet, intent to find out what the mischievous little devil had been up to.

Seraphima
01-26-07, 12:18 AM
Sara smiled as Solo complimented her words, and a faint blush rose to her ivory cheeks, only somewhat obscured by the blindfold.

"Well...it's just that I've had to learn how to listen, is all. You learn to hear the differences fairly quickly."

Shff, rss, reee, dup-pa-ton, shff krrr, shhh, assssi-da, were the sounds that accompanied Solo as he made his way to the ground...the rustling of his clothing, the creaking of the bench, the sound his boots made as he settled, the sound the clothes made as he settled down -- on his back, she thought...and the answer was affirmative as she heard his hands slide through his hair as he rested his head on them.

I'd say he's fairly tall...a good five or six inches taller than I am.

Her head tilted a little again if he asked if she was disheartened by her "condition."

"I'm blind, Samuel. It isn't a disease. But disheartened...well. I don't remember very much before a few months ago. I remember being cold and wet, and I didn't know where I was and I couldn't see anything. My guess is that I could see at some point before then, because I didn't have the faintest clue how to move. I was taken in by a kind elderly couple...and a few days later, this guy shows up and is just so happy to see me, although I didn't remember having a dog, and he didn't seem in any particular hurry to lead me back to anyhere. The old man made me my cane, and Maurz came with the collar and harness he's wearing, and I got down to the business of learning to walk and move around. It was...frustrating, I guess I would say. I was angry, because if I could see, I wouldn't have had the problems moving around that I did. But then I thought...if I keep on being angry and wishing for eyesight that I don't know if I ever had or if it will ever come back, I won't get anywhere in life. So I guess you could say I don't let it dishearten me."

She patted Maurizio on the head. "Besides, if I could see, I wouldn't have such a wonderful companion, and I would take so much for granted...and miss out on so much. Because I can't see, I know how to listen. Most people just know how to hear. It sounds like there's something disheartening you, th -- Oh!"

This startled exclamation came as a...something...dashed beneath her skirts and between her ankles. She'd heard something moving around, but hadn't thought much of it, there were other dogs around, and a few bats...some rats...but nothing like that!

Sara's hand went up to her chest as a startle reaction, and what little color there'd been in her cheeks swiftly faded away.

Maurizio watched the monkey clamber over him and then dart toward a big man, but he was busy, first and foremost, making sure his mistress was safe.

She gave the dog a reassuring smile. "I'm fine, Maurz, I'm fine...I just...wasn't expecting that." The big black lab gave his owner a reassuring "kiss" on the cheek and then walked off toward the monkey. He sat down resolutely in front of the man, regarding the small creature on his shoulder, and bared his teeth in a snarl, emitting a low growl.

A growl is never a good sound to hear from your dog wh he's just left you, and Sara stood up, dropping the cricket she still held and taking her cane in her right hand.

"Maurz! Maurizio, come back!"

The dog let out another snarl at the monkey before trotting back to his owner, giving her a gentle nudge to know that he was back to heel.

{Kid disasteR}
01-26-07, 01:28 AM
Seraphima spoke many words in response to Solo's question, but only one word remained in his mind. Cold. She said she felt cold when she awoke.

I know too well how it feels to be cold...

Just as Seraphima began to ask Solo a question, a noisy, energetic animal darted over Solo's face, under Seraphima's dress and into a crowd. Solo sat up violently, his hand grasping the hilt of his spatha out of reflex. The creature darting across the cobblestones and up the leg of a tall, dark man. Solo had never seen a man of such a hue. Hailing from Salvar, the only humans Solo had ever come into contact with bore Nordic features.

Solo removed his hand from his spatha and pulled himself up off of the ground. He turned to face the dark man and his strange creature. Solo took a moment to size up the man who wasn't much taller than Solo, though he appeared significantly heavier.

Solo's eyes turned to Maurzirio, who snarled at the odd creature that rested on the dark man's broad shoulders. Solo felt a smirk creep across his face.

I agree Maurz. It is a rather rude creature.

As Seraphima called Maurz back to her side, Solo took a few steps towards the tall, dark man. He looked at the man in the eyes, and smirked.

" Perhaps a leash would be a valuable commodity with such an exploratory animal at your side. "

Patois
01-26-07, 02:01 AM
As Angio was busy getting to the root of what trouble his small friend had gotten stirred up, a growl arose behind him. Turning, he saw the hindquarters of the lab as the animal paced back to it's master, Maurizio's message sufficiently delievered. The sailor raise an eyebrow over, looking out of the corner of his eye at Sha'hkrai.

"See? *That's* how you should be behaving. Now, what did you go and..." The big man's deep voice drifted off as the man who had been on the cobblestones came over and harshly implied that a leash might be needed for the little troublemaker. Angio's mood soured at the comment, as he just shook his head, taking a step forward.

"Look, he meant no harm. Something must have just spooked him. Now, I'm certainly sorry for the disturbance, but I assure you, he's fine as he is..." His eyebrow lowered in a look of displeasure as he dismissively walked past the man a few steps towards the bench, hoping that his companion was more amiable. Sha'hkrai curled around the back of his master's neck in anxiety at the dog as they grew closer.

"And Miss, I'm sorry for my friend disturbing you as well. As you can see..." Angio caught his guffaw immediately as he looked at her blindfold, stammering a second. "Err... he's quite harmless."

He assumed eyes were staring hard at him from behind, a grey and a red one specifically, but dared not turn around just yet. In a gesture of apology Angio reached down to pet Maurz, being particularly careful. "And, I guess owe and apology to the two of your furred friend as well..."

Seraphima
01-26-07, 09:31 AM
Maurizio sat down in front of his mistress as the big man approached, creating a barrier between her and him...and gods have mercy on that monkey if he came down. An odd man with no intent to harm was one thing...well, Solo was still within the dog's sight, although he was unsure if Sara could still hear her new friend.

A man with so incontrollable a creature was something else entirely.

He did not growl at the approach, although he was not friendly, and while he did not snap at the big man when he reaced down to pet him, he did flatten back his ears.

Meanwhile, Sara listened as he tried to apologize. That didn't go too well, as soon as the words 'as you can see' made their way out of his mouth.

"First off all, sir, with or without the blindfold I could not see if your creature were harmless or dangerous."

A little over six foot, from the sound of him. His shoulder would come to about...a few inches lower than his mouth, and I know where that is...and I think the creature is on his right shoulder.

Sara bumped her cane against the ground, taking a lower grip on it and jabbing it over the man's shoulder toward the creature (it would still be visible to it even if she picked the wrong shoulder). "I do not even know what your animal is, although since it runs along the ground and can climb, I'd have to guess either a large rodent or a small primate."

She retracted her cane, setting the narrow end back on the ground. "Second of all, there are more eloquent topics to speak of than sight around a blind woman. You sound like a sailor, so I'll forgive you for knowing little of eloquence, but surely even someone born and raised on the water can come up with something different and better. Lastly...I am only aware of having one dog, if I picked up a cat somewhere, Maurizio hasn't told me, and if you're talking about Samuel in so callous a manner, then you sorely need lessons in proper conversation."

The blind woman was very irritated at this occurrence.

Very irritated indeed.

Christoph
01-26-07, 02:06 PM
All right, where did it go? Christopher rushed around a corner, chasing after a thief that had vanished in a large crowd. This was definitely not turning out to be a pleasant start to his stay at Scara Brae. He'd barely gotten off the cargo ship that he'd sailed over on, and he already found himself getting robbed.

After nearly crashing into a fruit cart, Chris regained his balance and found himself outside of the huge mob of people going about their business. He squinted and looked around as the sun glared off of the white chef coat that he was still wearing. The whole place smelled much different than his home town; it was some strange combination of sea water, people, and exotic fruits. The noises were considerably more chaotic as well. As he caught his breath, he spotted the thief, along with a few other people gathered around a bench. Composing himself, he strode purposefully over to the tall, dark-skinned man.

"Excuse me, sir," said Christopher, his voice monotone and calm, though a very subtle subtle note of irritation was present. His posture was straight, with his hands clasped behind his back. "Your... monkey seems to have stolen my watch."

Patois
01-26-07, 02:34 PM
Sha'khrai lept with a simian yelp as the walking stick poked past his master's shoulder, nudging him. With a leap, he sprung off the hearty sailor's shoulder, scurrying a few feet back and dropping the timepiece that he had been clutching to. Now he found himself standing at the feet of the pale man who had suggested his leashing, and looked up at him with pitiful eyes, the monkey's own measure of trying to apologise.

Meanwhile, Angio looked down at the watch that had fallen to the floor, spotting it drop just beside Maurizio's paw.

"Look, I want to make it up to you two. It's a nice night and I hate to think that I ruined it for such a nice-looking couple. Why don't I-" But before he had a chance to continue on with his peace offering, he heard a man approach behind him, and was made aware of just what trouble his pet had caused. Tilting his head around, he looked at Sha'khrai standing at the half-imp's feet, shooting him a look of displeasure.

Let's hope that little devil saves some of that pitiful look for me... because he's going to need it now.

Turning, he looked at the man in the chef's coat standing behind him as he shook his head. "I don't know what I'm going to do with him. But now I know what he was up to. I'm terribly sorry!"

It's not a good sign when you're having to spend the whole day giving apologies to people, Angio...

Tenatively, he leaned down, extending a hand out towards Maurizio's paw, stopping short of it. "Hey puppy, can I have that?" he said and waited for the dog's reaction. Still embarassed, he peeked back over his shoulder at the chef. "Well, looks like I have yet another person to make this up to..."

PainTrain16
01-26-07, 03:25 PM
“Thank you ma’am”

Selene picked up the paper bag brimming with fresh bread and several slices of pork, and hurried away from the bustling market. The sun, rapidly setting in the distance, left a golden glint on her bare shoulders as she tried unsuccessfully to navigate the winding streets.

Ugh, why did mother make me come to town? She knows I’m awful at finding my way.

Feeling the steady thinning of the local crowd, Selene began to feel uneasy; she was not completely comfortable finding her way back home in the dark. A frigid chill floated through the air, gracing her skin with its icy touch and pushing the silvery threads of hair that blocked her eyes away. The wind passed quickly, and the remaining rays of sunlight helped warm her skin again. She smiled as a little boy, slowly followed by his pregnant mother, skipped down the street. The boy came to a sudden stop at Selene’s feet, looking up at her in amazement.

“Mommy!” he shouted excitedly with a giggle, “you were right, angels are pretty!” Selene flushed with red and backed quickly against a wall. Checking to make sure that her wings were still concealed, she looked back at the grinning boy.

How could he know that I’m a…

There was a gentle laughter from the boy’s mother as she reached her son and picked him up in her arms.

“I’m sorry for my son Miss,” she said with a shy smile, “he likes to play pretend with his friends, and he usually doesn’t know that from reality.” Selene felt a wave of relief flush through her body. With another smile, the woman set the boy back down, and continued down the street. Her voice could be heard echoing through the tunnel of buildings as they rounded a corner and disappeared.

Laughing at herself, Selene began to walk again. The sun had disappeared and the sky had been replaced with a dim redish hue, slowly fading into darkness. Pulling the white robe that was draped over her slender body tighter, Selene winced slightly as another cold burst of air blew past.

Eventually she reached another large opening towards the outer edge of town. Looking at the rusty sign of a nearby bar, Selene smiled to herself.

The Pillager’s Pub, how could I forget a name like that?

Enlightened as to the way she had come, Selene confidently strode onward, passing a small group of what appeared to be the oddest assortment of people imaginable. Selene smiled to herself at the sight of a small furry creature, apparently pleading with its master over a shiny trinket. Distracted by the animal’s actions, Selene missed her step on an uneven cobblestone, and felt her body heave forward. She could nothing as the bag of bread and meat spilled to the ground, quickly followed by her. There was a jolt of pain that hit her in the stomach like a fist as the rough stone beat into her body. Pushing herself to her knees, Selene felt the familiar tickle of blood running from her elbow.

Ugh, why did mother make me come to town…

Seraphima
01-26-07, 03:57 PM
Maurz had been tempted to take off after the monkey and show him just what it meant to startle his mistress...and it involved blood and teeth. However...he'd heard the undercurrent of panic in Sara's voice when he'd chased that primate last time, so he fidgeted, but sat still.

Sara sighed. So many men being belligerent, it wasn't a peaceful evening anymore.

There was a sharp click and a series of thuds sounded a few paces to her right, and Sara grabbed Maurizio's harness strap and tilted her head in the direction of the fallen...she thought it was a woman, but couldn't be sure.

The dog understood, and led her to the side of the robed woman, where she crouched down.

"Hello there. I heard you fall and drop what you were carrying." She let go of Maurz, and he sat as she stood and offered her hand to this new...a lighter nost to the breath than for most men...so a woman, almost for sure.

"Are you hurt?"

Christoph
01-26-07, 04:18 PM
"It looks like a little blood," said Chris, walking over and collecting some of the food items that had fallen out and putting them back into the girl's bag with the care of someone who handled food regularly. "I don't have any bandages, unfortunately." Having retrieved everything, he turned his head back to the the newest guest to their little bad day bench club. There were so many odd people in this place; it was so much different than his home in Salvar.

"Well, I think everything is still intact... and I don't think the monkey has tried to make off with any of it," commented Chris with a chuckle, his voice softer than it had been before. Now that he'd begun to appreciate the humor in the situation, his mood lightened. He turned to the monkey's master again. "I really do need that watch back, though. It belonged to my father... so, you know, it has the whole 'sentimental value' thing attached."

PainTrain16
01-26-07, 04:49 PM
Selene was broken from her disgruntled daze as the wet nose of a large dog prodded her shoulder softly. It was quickly followed with the concerned voice of a woman. Startled, Selene turned her head to meet her new acquaintance and was surprised to see a large piece of cloth draped over her eyes. Selene was used to those with blindness from the old man with whom she and her mother lived with. She immediately felt ashamed at having this poor woman come to her aid. Struggling to her feet quickly, Selene stammered out apologies.

“I’m fine ma’am, I’m terribly sorry for causing such a disturbance.” Selene thought better of treating the woman like a child because of her condition, and smiled brightly at her. “You have a kind heart to trust strangers around here, and I thank you for that kindness.” She could scarcely finish her sentence as a young man dressed in white with an oddly shaped hat hurried over to the food, gathering it and commenting on Selene’s wound. Remembering the fresh blood that now was spotting the ground, Selene cupped her hand around the skin, pressing firmly. Blushing at this sudden wave of friendliness between strangers, Selene smiled. “Thank you both again, and do not worry, it’s just a small cut,” she said, inspecting the wound carefully, “it should stop soon.”

Turning her attention back to the woman and her furry companion, Selene smiled.

She is a truly courageous woman…I only hope I can be the same someday…

Taking a short bow, she greeted the rest of the group.

"My name is Selene"

{Kid disasteR}
01-26-07, 05:18 PM
Solo let out a sigh of great annoyance. In a matter of moments his pleasant peaceful evening, a rare occurrence since he left home, had been all but ruined. It was nice with just the three of them, but now there were more than half a dozen beings all crowded around this tiny bench in the middle of the night.

First there was the dark sailor and his wild animal. The moment they came into the picture the pleasantness of the evening began to dwindle.

Then the cook who had apparently been robbed came running ever so awkwardly down the street in pursuit of the animal that apparently stole some piece of jewlry from him.

Lastly, as if there weren't already too many people, another girl came walking down the street towards them, only to stumble to the ground face first.

Solo rolled his eyes and made his way over to the girl. Seraphima and the cook had already began helping the woman to her feet. She seemed more annoyed than embarrassed.

Solo rested his hand gently on Seraphima's shoulder.

" Unfortunately I have somewhat of a distaste for large crowds of strangers. I'm afraid this is where we must part ways. "

Solo stood to his feet and began walking down the street, following the street lamps like guiding stars. He looked back once more to look at Seraphima. He chuckled lightly and turned back to face the crowd. He cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted aloud.

" It was a pleasure to meet you Seraphima! "

He turned his back once again to the large crowd of misfits, and treaded softly into the night.

This is my outro post. Way too many people in this thread for my tastes. Have fun guys.

Seraphima
01-26-07, 05:30 PM
"I'm Sara, and my dog's name is Maurizio."

Sara's head turned as Sam said his good-bye. His hand was cold like ice...but the saying did go ocld hands, warm heart.

She could hear the tread of the heavy boots fading away, and then the last call of farewell from so far away...but she didn't have a loud voice, nor could she yell effectively, so she simply raised a hand in the direction of the voice in farewell.

It was awful to see him go...he'd been the only good company of the evening, calm and quiet, unlike the garrulous people around now. And the only friends she could ever remember having were the old couple who had saved her and her animal companion. She had so hoped to make a friend. Slight chance of that now...and it was so hard to keep track of where anyone was anymore, sound overlapped sound so that it was making her dizzy to try and keep track. It was seriously almost enough to make her cry.

She turned back to Selene. "If you'd like you can have the bandage I use for my eyes...I do have a couple others. This is clean...I only wear it for aesthetic reasons. My eyes bother people...but it is getting late and with the lateness of the hour comes the dark that makes us all even."

PainTrain16
01-26-07, 06:28 PM
Selene straightened her disheveled robe as the woman introduced herself. She couldn’t help but smile at her beautiful dog, loyally standing guard next to its master.

“The pleasure is mine Sara, and to you as well Maurizio” Selene said proudly, kneeling down and giving him a gentle pat. Returning to her feet, Selene noticed one of the men who had previously been entwined with the pack was leaving, clearly not enthusiastic about such a large audience. She couldn’t help but feel bad that her intrusion was the reason for his departure. After a quick wave goodbye, Sara turned back to Selene, offering the bandage that adorned her eyes for her cut.

Selene paused, not sure what to say. “Sara, I…If you’re absolutely sure that you don’t need it, then I will gladly use it to bandage up my arm,” she looked down at the dark wound, the blood slowly starting to clot, “but it’s really nothing serious.”

Patois
01-26-07, 09:33 PM
When the woman passing by had fallen, it was a golden opportunity for Angio. He could have easily swiped the watch earlier, but even with it being near the dog, he had been cautious not to raise it's ire. He was being cautious not to raise anyone's ire for that matter, but his apologies were getting nowhere. Still, the moment came, and as Maurizio had darted off to check on the woman, that was when Angio snatched the timepiece in his hand. He held it up by a small chain, letting it spin slightly in front of him while he stared at it. There was still enough pirate in his blood for the temptation to be there to simply pocket the watch and slip off with the distraction, but looking at it, he decided that whatever sentimental value was attached to the watch certainly had to outweigh the actual value of it.

The owner of the watch had turned to ask for it again, and would turn to see Angio standing right in front of him, dangling the watch in his face for him. "Again... sorry about that."

As he was returning the watch, he had heard the shout of the strange man, bidding the blind woman farewell. Angio looked past the chef towards him with a sigh.

Argh. I really did want to make it up to him. I hope I didn't sour his night. But, can't very well make amends with him leaving. C'est la vie.

The idea of making amends had come fresh to his mind with that thought. The blind woman was offering the fallen lady bandaging for her wounds as Angio looked to her again, his eyes drifting between her and the chef in front of him.

"Sorry to see your friend go, but I was honest about wanting to make up to you for the disturbance." He looked at the chef directly. "And you as well. I certainly didn't expect my pet would cause this much rabble. Look, it's getting late and neither me nor Sha'khrai have had our dinner yet. I'm looking to go get a meal, and I certainly invite either of you to come along. Maurizio as well."

Noting Selene and her wound, he added "Even Miss... I believe you said your name was Selene? I'll offer the invitation to you too, since it seems Sara's last companion has left us. It'd give you a chance to get into better light and more properly bandage that wound..."

Turning, with Sha'krai scampering back up to perch on his shoulder, Angio took a few steps away. "The choice is up to you. If you'd like a meal, feel free to come along. If not, I'll leave you to your peace."

Seraphima
01-26-07, 10:37 PM
Sara hesitated for a moment...there was no way of telling how bad Selena's wound was without touching it, and she had been petting the dog all day. But still...she could smell the blood, sarp and tangy, somewhat metallic...and she knew it would be causing the other woman pain.

Resting her cane against her, Sara reached up and untied the bandage around her head with her fingertips, then held it out. She kept her eyes closed, for reasons known to herself.

"It's the best I can do...I was expecting a short walk with my dog, and then to go home."

The sailor whose name she hadn't caught offered to take them all out to dinner, and Sara shook her head. "Without my dog in a new place, I am as good as lost...and there are very few places that will let me bring Maurz in. I had best just return home."

Home...it sounded like such a funny word. Home...it wasn't exactly the house she'd stayed in before, although the old man and his wife had been very kind indeed. It certainly wasn't the tiny apartment she rented. But she didn't have anywhere else, and couldn't really find anything else. She had to find a job at some point...but she was too "handicapped" for most places to take her, so the search was difficult.

Am I so much a burden just because I cannot see?

PainTrain16
01-26-07, 11:08 PM
Mmm, some food does sound good, but…ugh, I should be getting home before mother worries

Selene thought about the enticing offer again, imagining the wafting smell of some steaming pulled sausage in between fresh honey bread. Catching herself before she got too lost in her day dreams, Selene looked from the man to Sara. Not wanting to spoil such uncommon company, Selene smiled and nodded her head. She was about to exclaim her accompaniment, when Sara spoke of her distain.

I would hate to go without her…she’s the only reason I’m still here

Selene was about to decline as well, when a thought occurred to her. “My house is only ten minutes from town,” she said wearily, looking from person to person, “I’m sure you’d all be welcome for dinner.” She looked to Sara who had her eyes clenched shut, and back to the man who had originally proposed they grab some food. “Maurizio is welcome as well, of course.”

Christoph
01-27-07, 01:46 AM
"Well... I have a grain supplier that I need to see," Christopher replied, stretching his back. He considered the offer for a moment. It was getting late, and he didn't have anything else to do, really. Besides, these were interesting people; seeing interesting things and meeting new people was one of the primary reasons that he'd left home to begin with, even if it was only on business. Finally, a smile formed on his lips and he nodded.

"On the other hand, I'm going to be in Scara Brae for a while, and it's almost dark. I wouldn't be able to see to my business until morning anyway. So yes, I'd be happy to join such interesting company, if you're sure that it won't be any trouble."

Seraphima
01-27-07, 02:18 PM
"Well..." Sara hesitated. "I don't know. My eyes seem to disturb people, and it is difficult keeping them closed. And I would really hate to impose on anyone...And it has been a long day with a lot of sensory information...maybe I'd just better go..."

Here Maurizio let out a low, plaintive whine, and Sara looked down at him. "Yes, I know you're hungry, but we'll go home and..." she was interrupted by another whine. "Well, I'm sorry I can't see to make something hot, but in all fairness..."

Maurz let out a sharp bark, bouncing up a little bit and letting out a highter pitched whine. The big lab didn't bark very often, and Sara's eyes opened of their own accord. Her eyes were a solid, milky white-blue. There was little wonder she couldn't see.

"You want to go, don't you?" Maurz wagged his tail, the hairs making a whish-whish sound on the stone, and he licked her hand. "Can you get us back home from wherever this is?" The lab made a low vocalization, and Sara smiled at her dog and turned back to Selena, remembering to close her eyes again as she did so.

"If you're absolutely certain it will be no imposition, Maurizio and I will be glad to accept your invitation."

Patois
01-27-07, 09:01 PM
Angio stopped in his tracks as Selene's offer rang behind him. It would defeat the purpose of making amends to have someone else provide the meal, but a free meal was a free meal. Besdies, this could prove an opportunity to show people that Sha'khrai can behave himself every once in a while...

Still, Angio hesitated. His pet had caused trouble for the chef and quite a disturbance to Sara and Maurizio. He waited to see their reactions to the offer before leaping on it himself. Good food always fit the bill, and the chance at a good story or two popping up seemed likely with such a motley crew.

Turning around, he took a few steps forward to the pack again.

"Well, if it doesn't impose, Sha'khrai and myself would like that as well. I believe the saying is 'Lead the way"? He did a short bow, gesturing to Serena, unsure how the other two would take him...

PainTrain16
01-27-07, 09:39 PM
Selene waited patiently as each of the remaining party members confirmed their attendance. Smiling she looked over each of her newly-found comrades that made up the odd crew.

Lord, I hope mother doesn’t mind

Bending to pick up the neatly packed bag of produce, Selene took a deep breath, letting it vent out slowly into the chilly night air.

“I supposed we’ll be on our way then.” Turning gently on her heals Selene began down a musty trail that led away from town. The light from the torches that flanked the outer buildings slowly faded away as she ventured further into the darkness. For one who was not familiar with the way to her house, it would be quite terrifying to navigate such a desolate abyss in the dark of night. Feeling her way almost subconsciously towards safety, Selene closed her eyes and thought about her luck.

She had never met so many interesting people in her entire life, much less on afternoon. Her train of thought was broken as a loud howl introduced the arrival of another gust of wind. Stopping to clench her robe, she bowed her head at the sharp bite of it on her skin. Feeling it gradually pass, she began to walk again.

“It’s not far now…”

Christoph
01-27-07, 10:36 PM
Chris followed along as their "host" led them along. There was something about her that wasn't quite right, but he couldn't place what it was. It didn't seem malignant, though. The man with the monkey seemed normal enough. As for the blind woman: Chris really didn't have much of an idea about her. He wasn't even entirely sure of why he was coming along. His more cynical side would say that it was simply out of boredom, but his better half would have him believe otherwise.

On the whole, he kept his distance from the others and didn't say anything; he still didn't feel comfortable with these strangers. It wasn't that he distrusted them, he simply didn't know anything about them. Of course, doing crazy, random things had never been beyond him. Starting bar fights, joining bar fights that someone else had started just for fun, hiking mountains in the winter for the sake of killing wolves with pointy sticks, and so on were all well within his capacity. (Though not in that order)

So am I only comfortable with strangrs if they are drunk or trying to kill me?

Patois
01-27-07, 11:09 PM
Being led into a darkening path, Angio kept a cautious eye out, despite the waning light of the surroundings. He wasn't frightened, but certainly cautious; the same could not be said for his pet, who clung to his shoulder with eyes darting around nervously.

The chef and the Sara would probably be more concerned than Angio was at their situation. Going out of the town to a strange place, led by a stranger, they would be what can only described in one word: lost. Even now, the three who didn't know the route were already lost. But the sailor could handle aimless wandering in an unfamiliar place. That's what his entire venture into Scara Brae was, so this was no different.

Thinking of his companions, he looked over to Sara.

Now that I think about it, she's probably more at ease than me or the chef. We're having our bearings taken away as we follow this darkness. To her, it's her everyday life. I'd probably call it brave, if it weren't just surviving.

As the cold wind rushed past them, Angio squinted against the gust. He didn't flinch at the chill; winds out on the open waters can be much harsher and colder, and he was accustomed to them. Sha'khrai curled around his master's neck, nuzzling his body up under his dreadlocks and peeking out from the other side. Angio made a faint hushing sound as if he was lulling a baby to sleep, reassuring his pet.

Not only was it getting harder to see, but the smell- while not rancid- was still unpleasant to him.

What kind of person lives out here?

For a fleeting moment, he also wondered what kind of person would invite a stranger such as himself to their house without even being given their name. He shook briefly with a shiver, and not from the cold wind.

Chalking it up to suspicion, he shook the feeling off for a moment, continuing along but keeping close watch on the path...

Seraphima
01-27-07, 11:55 PM
Sara wasn't having much trouble with the route. She could tell the rises and dips in the road by feel, and Maurz kept her on track. The wind had really picked up, so much so that it was hard to hear anything that wasn't nearby, and it smelled like a mix between an attic that hadn't had anyone in it for far too long and a bog.

It wasn't...unpleasant, but it wasn't that good, either. Truth be told, the prospect of walking back alone later intimidated her...but then she felt Maruz stop and could feel the slow and comforting pats against her leg as he wagged his tail, and hear his breathing.

"Well, come on, you." Another wag of the tail, and Maurz started walking again, keeping up with the rest. Sara had never been so far from her little room before, not since she'd settled in a few days ago. It was hard enough learning one street by the noise everyone made...much less dozens upon dozens.

It was so hard sometimes...she had to get a job to support herself, but who would hire a blind woman? She had to get to know people, but so few talked to her. This was the first time since she could remember that Sara had been invited anywhere, and even then there'd been hesitation. She didn't really know these people, and the one she'd been getting to know had vanished as soon as there were more than four people.

The frustration, long pent up, brought a few tears to her eyes, but Sara wiped them away quickly, doing her best to keep her eyes firmly shut...those things which bothered so many people for their lack of color and their inability to see even the most obvious of things.

But how sad it must really be for them...able to see, but unable to truly know how wonderful the little canary in the window sounds with its sweet little dew-drop notes...unable to appreciate fully the smell of fresh bread, rich and warm and wonderful like a little drop of the heavens...how the shell of an egg felt a little rough and bumpy...how some hair felt so silky you could stroke it all day and how other hair was so rough and coarse it would be like wire. And were they also not too busy feasting their eyes upon the red blush of the apple that they could not as easily appreciate the crispness of its crunch between their teeth, and the mildly sweet juices pouring over their tongue...and the brightly melancholy taste of the fruit itself...something pure and wonderful, but fallen from the grace of its parent to be broken down and enjoyed by something else.

How sad it must be for everyone else, and they just couldn't realize it.

Can we please try to keep up quality of writing in this thread? Instead of just single paragraph blurbs? Please? this was a fun thread when everyone was actually trying, and I want my intro to turn out well.

Christoph
01-28-07, 08:44 AM
The night air bit at Christopher's face. Normally, his eyes would shut reflexively against cold wind. The island of Scara Brae had a much more tropical climate than his town in Salvar, though. Even the cold here was warmer than the typical there. The chef had little to fear from a little island breeze.

The journey didn't seem to be very difficult, despite the unknown terrain. He was reminded of one of his odd ordeals on a mountain back home, except in that case there was more snow, more wind, more rocks, more animals with teeth, and less company. He gazed upward at the handful of stars shining like solitary candles through the blanket of clouds. The sky, however, was exactly the same. And yet, he had been reminded that not everyone could realize that.

After a while, Chris's own silence made him feel awkward and anxious. Perhaps it was time to get to know these strangers. The sailor seemed easy enough to read for the most part. He turned to the blind woman, and slowly walked over to her and her dog. She was the one that piqued his curiosity the most.

"How... did you..." he began awkwardly, unsure how poor his manners were in asking. "How did you lose your sight?
"

Greater length doesn't always equal greater quality in writing. If there's actually a purpose for it, then I will write longer posts. If there's not, then I just write what makes sense at the time. It wouldn't help to add a few paragraphs of pointless fluff to a post. Making every post extremely long has always seemed to be the most effective way to convince someone to stop reading it. At least, that's what I've found. Granted, I'm from different RPing communities than you are, and I'm used to people not wanting to read that much. For the most part, though, I try to balance out with a length similar to that of this post, or perhaps a bit longer.

PainTrain16
01-28-07, 10:21 AM
Selene could hear the steady pounding of footsteps from behind her which helped to reassure her that she wasn’t alone. Slightly picking up her pace due to the sudden drop in temperature, she clenched the bag close to her chest. Navigating around a well hidden stump, Selene called back a warning to the others.

“Careful, there’s a nasty stump just to the left.” She said, stopping and turning to make sure everyone, especially Maurizio, didn’t make the same mistake that she had done so many times before. Turning back to the dark road, Selene pushed on.

As terrifying as the night could be, it was truly beautiful. The stars, millions in number, created a dim luminance that lit up the sky. They were a true wonder to behold, and Selene has never quite been able to figure them out, having spent many nights lying under them, pondering the mystery of their existence. Another chilly breeze blew past, not as powerful as the first. Selene giggled to herself as it tickled her skin mercilessly.

As she rounded a large tree, the house became visible. It was a small house, but served its purpose. The one story wooden structure stood alone in the night, a dim light shining in the front window. Selene smiled at the homey scene. Stopping suddenly she turned to the rest of the group.

“Well, here it is!” with another turn, she proceeded down the rest of the trail that abruptly faded away as it neared the house. It was placed oddly in the small clearing of trees, because the front door was around the side of the house; an aspect which would usually confuse visitors. Reaching the left side of the house two large lanterns hung on either side of the door, illuminating the muddy yard. Stepping carefully over the roots that covered the ground, Selene turned again to her comrades.

“Uh, I should probably go in first and let my mother know that you all will be attending dinner.” Selene forced a smile as she realized her stupidity.

What am I thinking!? I don’t even know these people, how can I expect mother to invite them inside?

Pulling open the front door with her free hand, Selene gave her acquaintances another smile, and disappeared into the house.

Seraphima
01-28-07, 12:16 PM
One of the men approached her...a lighter step than the sailor, but a heavier tread, as of one accustommed to knowing that the ground would always be under his feet. He was slightly shorter than the sailor, his voice was just a little bit closer to her level. The grain-purchaser.

And he was asking a very personal question indeed. Selene called out and warned about the stump, her footsteps moved a bit to the right, but it was hard to tell just how far, the winds seemed insistant about carrying away the sounds that originated in front of her. Well, she'd trust Maurz to guide her around it, and if he couldn't get her all the way around, she'd tap it before she came into contact with it.

Maurizio led her a few feet to the right, and she didn't even hear the tip of her cane bump against the stump's side before he brought her back to the path. She then turned to Christoph.

"I think it would be polite of you to at least introduce yourself before asking personal questions. I'm Seraphima, as I've said before, my dog is Maurizio, as I've also said, and as far as I know, I've always been blind. I remember no sights, horrible or familiar, and my world has always been defined by my other four senses. What my eyes see, I do not know...but he guides me well enough."

Here they stopped and allowed Selene to go in. It would be a pity to come so far out of town and just be turned away at the door...something that sounded like a very real possibility. The other woman's voice held the slight note of uncertainty and nervousness that came with forced cheer and pleasantness...she was smiling, there was that lilt to the voice, but it sounded mechanical, a forced smile. If they didn't get to come in, all would not have been lost. Maurz would have gotten a nicer walk than normal, and she could just feed them and get some rest.

Perhaps you come from placees expecting little short posts...but isn't it sad when a blind character can put more detail into a post than a character with all his senses intact?

Patois
01-28-07, 01:00 PM
Angio had heard the warning a second too late, and his foot snagged the stump as they went down the path. He swung his other leg forward, barely catching himself before he would be sent to the ground. His stumble left him pausing a second to reassure himself of his footing. Sha'khrai slipped from his neck in that moment, but managed to grab hold a long lock of hair, hanging on with surprise before scampering back up to his master's shoulder, shaken and more aware than before.

With faint interest, he listened to the chef pose his query to Sara, and his face unseen, Angio flashed a grin and chuckled to himself.

Nice work, mate. This one's all about etiquette and quick to offend, he's going to get in hot water over that. At least maybe it'll take some of that lingering resentment I've been picking up off of me.

As Sara replied, Angio restrained laughter in seeing he was right. There was something interesting about her, but he couldn't figure what it was. Peeking over his shoulder with a raised eyebrow, he looked carefully at her again. It wasn't the blindness. He'd dealt with people of all forms of disadvantages before. It was something about her words. The way she was describing things, the way she would word herself.

Angio's thoughts were disrupted by almost tripping again. This time it was small roots jutting out around the ground as they approached the house. The footing was uneven, and between the roots lay mud. The sailor's footsteps became more tentative as he slowed, almost tiptoeing through the damp soil. His face scrunched up in a look like he had eaten something sour as he looked around with displeasure.

And people wonder why I prefer staying out at sea...

As they stopped, Selene went inside to give warning to the owner of the house, and Angio waited until she was in the door and he figured her out of earshot before he spoke up. He was looking around, surveying the entire property as his deep voice broke the silence.

"No man of the house. Don't see that much out in places like that."

He was sure someone would inquire what he meant, and continued before even being prompted.

"I've seen plenty of types of people in my travels. Working with a merchant ship, you do trading with lots of folk. But those outside the city usually fend for their own. They raise their own livestock, tend a garden, hunt and trap on their own. No livestock, no garden, nothing. Since she got sent all the way into town to get food, I'm guessing the reason they don't have any of that is there's no man to tend to it. Which... is odd. Most women in that situation... y'know- soldier's wives, widows, spinsters- they usually move to the city, where everything's closer."

Angio leaned his right shoulder against the house, not feeling much like stomping through the mud anymore and preferring to just relax. His thought was more a musing to himself that he had said aloud, but it did trouble him. The feeling of distrust ran up his back again, and this time he wasn't sure if he'd be able to shake it.

PainTrain16
01-28-07, 02:28 PM
The wonderful smell of roasting meat met Selene’s nostrils as she entered the house. It layered over the musty smell that normally inhibited the kitchen. A large candle sat in the middle of the small table towards the center of the room, surrounded with three plates and a stack of disheveled wood ware. A petite woman, equal in beauty to Selene, worked carefully at the counter that braced the left wall.

“I’m back mother” Selene said, dropping the bag of produce wearily on the table, causing the plates to shake violently. Turning to greet her daughter, Rebecca smiled under a set of tired eyes.

“I was beginning to worry honey, did you get lost in town?” she replied, moving over to the bag and distributing its contents on the counter.

“Er, not exactly mother. Listen,” she began slowly, not entirely sure how warmly her mother would take it, “I met some…nice, people at the market today, and I took the liberty of inviting them to dinner.” Selene waited for her mother to explode, but was surprised as she looked up at her with a bright smile.

“Well I for one would absolutely love some company. Or course baby, your friends are welcome.” Selene let out a deep sigh of relief. The last thing she wanted was to have brought them all way out here for nothing. With a quick kiss on her mother’s cheek, Selene ran to the door.

- - - - -

Riveria, the blind old man of whom the house actually belonged to, was sitting out back thinking to himself. The sudden commotion of several people irritated his sensitive ears and blocked his concentration. Picking up his cane and rolling his sleeves up, he prepared himself for the worst. Approaching the noise by the front door, he stopped, crouching near the wall. Hearing Selene’s voice he calmed his nerves and stood back up, laughing quietly to himself at his paranoia.

Although he was blind, Riveria was able to see the world like no one else. He had grown and embraced his “defect”, as some referred to it as. His other senses were incredibly heightened to adapt his body with his condition, and they were all he needed. He heard the door creak open and slam shut. He waited for several moments so he might discern who was waiting at the door.

Suddenly someone spoke up. It was a gruff voice, hardened from years of difficult and brutal work. The man was commenting that there was no “man” of the house, which made Riveria groan in disgust.

“Such ignorance…these young ones.” He commented quietly to himself.

“No man of the house, eh?” Riveria said as he rounded the corner, bracing himself with his cane. The cane was used more for support than for artificial sight, at least in Riveria’s case. Smiling to himself at the sudden hush from the group, he moved into the swinging light of the lanterns. “Before one such as yourself speaks about things you have no knowledge of, I would suggest you think and hold your tongue.” Riveria paused and did not continue; instead he sniffed at the air carefully. “Why there are animals among you!” he said with a large smile, “how I do love the company of them.”

He wasn’t given the chance to continue as the door swung open again, Selene bursting out of it.

“Okay everyone, my mother said you’re all welcome for dinner, so if you still wish to join u—” she paused as she noticed Riveria standing behind her. “Riveria, where did you come from?”

“I was merely out thinking to myself my dear.” He paused, trying to smell again what kind of animals were exactly among the visitors but was unable as the natural scent of Selene blocked it out. Ignoring it, he moved forward to Selene’s side. “Well friends of Selene, won’t you introduce yourselves?”

Christoph
01-28-07, 04:43 PM
"You're right, I'm sorry. It wasn't proper of me to ask." Chris sighed, quite sure that he'd offended her. She just seemed very well-adjusted and unusually determined, despite her handicap. He didn't voice this thought, though. "At any rate, my name is Christopher Knighton. I live in a small town in Salvar, so you could definitely say that I'm a long way from home."

He stopped talking, finding himself in doubt that any of them really cared about where he was from. He shifted uncomfortably. Wonderful, Chris, way to fail at making any kind of good impression with new people. It seemed to him that all those nights working at a bartender hadn’t helped his people skills very much at all.

Of course, in those cases he actually knew most of the tavern patrons whom he spoke to. That, and they all lived in the same town, or at least someplace nearby. In this instance, however, he’d never met any of these people before, he met them under odd circumstances, and they were of different cultures. It was no wonder that he felt like such an idiot, he realized.

Fortunately, any immediate awkward silence was prevented when a strange man with a cane appeared from the shadows. Christopher’s first reaction was to back up as this new stranger addressed the man with the monkey. Chris was inclined to remain silent for the time being and let the others introduce themselves first; his growing doubt in his social skills was not helping his confidence.

It's not that that the places that I'm from always expect "little short posts," I just tend to use common sense when deciding how much reading I'm going to subject everyone else to. A blind character perceives everything much differently than those who can see. In my case, however, I'd simply be describing things that had already been described twice already. Lol. Anyway, my last post was actually a bit short; this one is about what my average length is in this type of situation. (Length increases when there is more for my character to have in-depth reactions to) I really don’t have a problem writing longer posts, though. I’m just not used to people actually wanting to read posts quite that long.

Seraphima
01-28-07, 05:14 PM
Tam-tam, thunk. Tam-tam, thunk.

The three-legged gait of an elderly person using a cane to support himself...for surely that tread was of a man, rather than a woman?

The voice, thin and creaky with years, answered that. It was definitely an old man who had just approached them. He quickly slapped down the sailor's assumptions that there was no man about the place...but then he asked why there were animals. For the sailor's monkey, well, it wasn't a question easily answered, but Sara had inadvertently opened her eyes at his approach...if the man could see, he would have known exactly why Maurizio was there.

Sara had never met another blind person before...maybe he could help her. She was so new to life that she hadn't the first idea where to look for anything...but this man...this man was experienced, he knew what it was like to live blind, and maybe he could give her advice so she could get on her feet, metaphorically.

He demanded names as Selene came back out with the news that they were welcome. The other woman's voice had sounded pleasant, not angry, although it was but dimly, so Sara had already guessed that their presence would be no problems this evening.

For a guest coming in, it would only be polite to give a name, especially to so distinguished a character as the man before her.

Sara probed forward a little with her cane to make sure she wouldn't trip, and stepped up with Maurizio beside her, closing her eyes once more. "I'm Saraphima, and my dog is Maurizio...I cannot see, so he sees for me when out in unfamiliar places."

Patois
01-28-07, 10:16 PM
That's what thinking out loud will get you.

Angio had been presented by the gruff old man instantly rising to challenge his statement. He sighed, and shook his head as Selene gave news of their welcome.

"T'weren't intended as an insult, merely thinking. The thinking had a sound basis, even if it did turn out to be wrong. Before I embarass myself more, I'll just see if I can manage to get through the formalities without a stumble of the tongue and then I'll just be quiet."

Though I was right. There *isn't* anyone sustaining the house for itself. An invalid hardly qualifies.

Keeping his thought to himself, Angio turned to Selene and did a half-bow, her being one of the only two who could see the gesture to appreciate it.

"Angio Patois, crewman of the Ivory Pyre. And the 'animal' you spoke of is Sha'khrai."

Standing in the doorway, he was mindful to speak loud enough for the lady of the house to hear as well from inside. After phonetically pronouncing out the names, "An-gee-o Pat-wah" and "Shuck-rye" he looked between the two blind, realizing he may want to expand on the nature of his pet, since they couldn't see him and only had vague details about what it was.

"...a tropical monkey I found on the isle of Praevus and my travelling companion."

Having introduced himself now to all five, Angio turned towards the doorway to the house and loosened the strap of his scabbard. As he stepped through, he removed his cutlass and placed it against the wall beside the door. Afterall, it was bad form to walk up to the dinner table at someone else's house with a weapon slung at your side. Sha'khrai's stomach made a little gurgling rumble right next to Angio's ear and as the smell of the food hit his nose, Angio felt his own hunger swell. Looking to Selene's mother, he nodded his head.

"Need any help with setting the table, ma'am?"

Christoph
01-29-07, 12:17 PM
Chris looked over at the older blind man curiously. There's more to this man than meets the eye, he thought to himself. Bad pun, Chris, bad pun. Even so, he knew that even though the older gentleman was blind and unable to walk well anymore, he was surely a man to be reckoned with.

"And I am Christopher Knighton, I help run a tavern back home," said Chris, taking his turn to introduce himself as he followed the sailor to the doorway. "And I am without an animal companion, I'm afraid to say. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"I'm sure that I could be of assistance as well," offered Christopher to their hostesses, following the lead of the man he now knew as Angio. Angio and Saraphima... such fascinating and exotic names. He faced inside, a warm smile now on his face. "It is the least I can do to help repay your hospitality."

Chris followed the others inside. He didn't have any "weapons" aside from his sword, which he'd left on the boat. He did, however, have several kitchen knives and other utensils in his leather bag, which he set next to Angio's weapon. Having done this, he stepped in and looked around at the odd assortment of people who would all be sharing a meal.

This could be an interesting night.

PainTrain16
01-29-07, 02:37 PM
Riveria waited patiently as each of the visitors introduced themselves in turn. Selene also paid close attention, as some of them were new to her as well. Clearing his throat, Riveria let out a short laugh and spoke.

“A pleasure to meet you young’uns,” he spoke, smiling at the group, “and of course your furry companions.” The two male visitors of the group dispersed to the kitchen, dispensing their weapons next to the door. At the offer of assistance, Rebecca turned suddenly in surprise.

“Hello my dears,” she said, bustling about the kitchen frantically, “please, make yourself at home!” Pulling a fish from the boiling pot that hovered over the fire, she began to slice it into pieces, submerging them in a steaming vat of honey and spices. The smell of home cooking wafted slowly in the air, covering the entire house in its pleasant scent. “You’ll have to forgive me boys,” she began suddenly, turning to face the two men, “I’m not very good with names, so if I happen to forget, please don’t feel offended.” With a smile she went back to slicing another fish.

“Oh,” she said quickly, almost forgetting that the two had offered their help, “If one of you might set the table, that would be great.” Stopping her vigorous slicing, she wiped her hands on her robe. “The other plates are in that closet over there, along with more forks and spoons,” she said, pointing to the far corner of the kitchen. “We’re not use to so many people for dinner, so we have no need for extra plates.” She pulled a long loaf of bread from the bag which was spilled across the counter. “And if you my dear,” she said to the other man, “would be so kind as to call in those outside and tell them to get washed up.” Smiling, she returned to her work.

Riveria had taken a particular interest in Sara and her loving helper. Feeling his way subconsciously towards her, he bent slowly to his knees. He smiled at the distinct scent of Maurizio.

“Well aren’t you a nice fellow.” He whispered to the dog, running his hand over his fur gently. Smiling at the smooth texture, Riveria stood back up to greet Sara personally. “And you my dear,” he began slowly, “you are blessed with blindness.” Before giving anyone a chance to question what he said, he continued. “I’m sure as you’ve already discovered that blindness is in no way a curse, and anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is ignorant.” He grunted under his breath, recalling the many hardships he’d gone through over the years. “Your journey will be long and it will be hard my child, but you will be stronger than anyone you will ever meet.” He paused and smiled as the image of Sara’s face slowly took shape in his mind. “You are a beautiful young woman, and I expect nothing less than perfection of what you will become one day.” Riveria paused and let the night air fill his lungs, breathing it out slowly. “Come, let’s get you and your wonderful friend into the warmth.”

Selene couldn’t help but smile at Riveria’s words. Overhearing the instructions of her mother, Selene slowly made her way to the small stream that ran past her house, not ten yards from the front door. Bending down next to the cool water, she submerged her hands, still caked with dirt from the events of the day.

What a wonderful day this is turning out to be.

Seraphima
01-30-07, 02:28 PM
"While it is true that seeing people miss so very much on account of their vision, it would be nice if I could get a job in a world where the majority make the rules...and the majority sees."

Sara followed the old man into the house. She had no weapon to set aside, none but her cane, and she needed that to make sure she didn't trip over something in such an unfamiliar place. She knew where the table was and had the good sense to stay away from it while the men were setting the table and generally bustling about. She could set the table in her own room, but only because everything had its exact place and she knew how it was set up.

It smelled like there would be fish for dinner, and probably bread...Sara's first real hot, home cooked meal in days...it was best for her to not work a hot stove, so she tended to buy groceries once a day...give most of the meat to the dog and eat bread with cheese and vegetables herself.

But her mind was wondering, and she again addressed Riveria.

"I was actually hoping you could advise me...you have the experience that comes with age...and I only the ignorance of youth and of the few months I know of life."

Christoph
01-31-07, 03:21 PM
Chris nodded at Selene's mother's request. He turned to head back out tell the others, only to see that everyone else was already inside. Sara and the older gentlemen were speaking to each other. Chris made his way by them.

"The lady of the house wishes for us to get cleaned up soon," he said softly as he walked past, trying not to disturb their conversation to any great degree. Meeting another blind person under such unusual circumstances must have seemed more than mere coincidence to her.

Chris smiled slightly as he strode back into the windy night. The though of a warm meal and interesting people made him happy; he was glad that he'd come along. He passed Selena as he made his way to the stream.

"The others should be out shortly to clean up."

Patois
01-31-07, 11:11 PM
Angio had followed Rebecca's instructions in locating the setting and helped put them on the table. With each plate he'd set down, Sha'khrai would hop off his shoulder, scampering across the table and looking around. He'd stand upright, sniffing for food, but look confused each time he found an empty plate. As the sailor would set the flatware near the plates, his pet would leap back onto his shoulder until the next plate. Finally, all the settings were out.

He looked up briefly, seeing Sara and the old man talking. He could hear her talking about her youth compared to his longevity, and asking for his council. Angio just shook his head.

The blind leading the blind...

Passing by the stove, Angio peeked over the pot, steam rising in his face. He took a deep inhale, taking in the aroma's as Sha'khrai leaned far over on his shoulder to look in at the food. Turning, his boots made faint clomping on the floor as he looked back over his shoulder with a smile.

"This may not be my kitchen, and I ain't the resident chef; but if there's one thing I know, it's fish. And this seems like it's just about done."

Grinning, he stepped outside and cautiously tiptoed around the roots and mud to head back to the stream that he saw the chef at. Walking up, he knelt by the water, rubbing over the front and back of his hands in the cool water. He looked up at the chef beside him, not saying a word but giving an acknowledging nod. On his shoulder, the spider monkey was peeking around the back of his master's neck, the simian's eyes locked on the man beside them.

Before his pet could get any ideas, Angio stood up abruptly, flicking his wrists quickly to fling drops of water back through the air and into the stream. He turned and began walking back to the house, wiping his hands dry on the sides of his leather breeches. His stomach was giving a low growl again, and he figured it was due time he quieted it with some food...

PainTrain16
02-01-07, 08:23 AM
Riveria thought quietly to himself about Sara’s request for guidance. Slowly feeling his way around the table, he reached his chair. Pulling out the seat next to him, he held his hand out for Sara to sit.

“What you must understand my child,” he began, resting his cane softly against the table, “is that I can not teach you anything about the gift you have. Believe me dear, I would, but it is a road that one must travel on one’s own.” He cleared his throat slightly and then continued. “I wanted the same during my first years of blindness, but over time I found that the only key to mastering it was experience; only gained with time and hard work. I am truly sorry that I can not pass on the wisdom that comes with experience to you my child, but you too will know someday what I know.” Riveria smiled at Sara kindly, folding his hands in his lap. “But I wish you the best in your travels, and should you one day lose your way, you always have a place here.” Riveria looked down to Maurizio and smiled. “Though I don’t believe you’ll have a problem with this fellow, eh?” Selene came bustling through the door and to her mother’s side.

“You need any help with anything?” she said quietly, placing a hand on Rebecca’s shoulder. Finishing off the last fish, she dunked the rest of it in the honey sauce carefully.

“No Selene, go sit. It’ll be ready in just a minute or so.” Wiping her hands quickly, Rebecca shuffled to the nearby loaf of bread. Slicing it, she placed each piece in a large basket. “Sara dear,” she began, turning to look at Riveria’s new friend, “what would your beautiful companion like to eat? I can make anything that he wants, so long as I have the ingredients.”

Selene stayed back from the commotion as Angio finished setting the table. Departing to wash his hands, he disappeared out the door. Pulling up in the chair across from Riveria, Selene straightened her robe and took a long hard sniff at the air.

Mmm, only the best…

Seraphima
02-03-07, 01:56 PM
"Oh."

Sara's voice registered an intense disappointment...she'd so hoped that she could get a little advice from the one other person she'd met that had gone through the same hardships she was experiencing now. But the old man had nothing for her except that she was truly alone while trying to feel her way through the world.

She took her seat as Rebecca asked what the dog would eat, and the milky-white eyes opened again of their own accord, before she remembered that those who could see found her eyes disturbing and closed them again.

"Oh, Maurz will eat anything, really...although it's best if it doesn't have little bones. I'd be in an awful predicament if he choked so far out from anyone who knows how to help him."

The bustle was starting to die down as people came and took their seats. Sara, like Riveria, rested her cane against the table, and Maurz sat next to her, generally just being a good dog.

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been feeling well.

PainTrain16
02-03-07, 05:15 PM
Rebecca scratched her head, looking for a good treat for Maurizio.

“I do have some left-over poultry from the night last; I can pull any bones out for him.” Without waiting for an approval, Rebecca set to work, pulling open a small box from under the counter. Grabbing a forked utensil, she slid the box back to its resting place. She quickly disappeared down the hallway that branched off the kitchen. Smiling, Selene tried to make conversation while they waited.

“So how did you meet Maurizio, Sara?” she inquired, her mother suddenly returning to the kitchen with a large hunk of meat. Slapping it on the counter, she went to work removing the bones and excess fat. As she subconsciously labored over the meal, she gave another shout outside to the men.

“Meal’s on boys!” she gave a tough jerk, ripping the reluctant meat from a bone. Quickly making her way to the closet to which she had earlier instructed Angio to navigate, she pulled two small dishes out. Piling a large stack of the meat into each, she placed one carefully next to Maurizio and left the other on the counter. Casting a curious glance up to Sara, Rebecca spoke in concern.

“Please let me know if he would rather something else my dear.” With a gentle pat on the head, Rebecca returned to the counter, gathering the remainder of the meal. Meticulously placing the platter of honey-soaked fish in the center of the table, she placed the other small side-dishes amongst the guests. A steaming bowl of ground potatoes smeared in butter oil greeted Selene’s nostrils immediately. Selene couldn’t help but smile as she looked across the rest of the table, surveying the food.

“Pass to your right?”

Christoph
02-03-07, 11:41 PM
Chris made his way back into the warm house, taking his seat as Selene's mother prepared a dish for Sara's animal companion. He noticed Sara's eyes as they opened. He could see why they would bother many people, though Chris wasn't particularly disturbed by them. She seemed a little dissatisfied for some reason, though he wasn't sure what that reason was.

As Chris settled in to the chair, the pleasing smell of the meal reached him. He smiled and looked around at everyone. It reminded him of the rare times that he gathered for a meal with some of his friends back home. Of course, he was usually the one doing the cooking in those cases.

"The food smells wonderful," Chris complimented. Such a comment was quite meaningful coming from someone in his line of work; he knew what bad and mediocre food smelled like and he knew what good food smelled like. This was good food; he had no doubts about it.

Patois
02-04-07, 12:49 AM
This is the one I been waiting for :D

Angio hears the call for food as he strides through the door. Truth be told, he's not exactly the kind of fellow you have to say that twice around. He sees everyone but the chef, their hostess, and himself is seated. The lady of the house is working over a bone for the blind gal's pooch, and Angio takes a deep inhale, his chest swelling high enough you'd think his shirt would rip, basking in the medley of aromas in the room. With a broad smile, he rakes his tongue between his teeth and across his lips before taking big steps to cross to the table.

"Ah... chow time!"

On the side oppisite Marurizio, he reaches right over Sara's shoulder, grabbing a dinner roll off a plate in a ham-fisted manner as if grabbing a hand-sized rock. Taking a step farther around the table, he's behind Selene when he takes a big bite out of the crusty roll, reaching his free hand past her to wrap it around an ear of corn.

"s'cuse me" he mutters with a mouth full of the fluffy bread. He may have been cautious of his manners any other time, but mealtime is an entirely different story. Especially as aching for food as his stomach is and how wonderful the smells in this room are.

The corn's plump and greasy with butter, not to mention steaming hot. He jerks his hand up in surprise as it sizzles against his flesh a bit- not enough to burn but a bit too hot to hold- and the greasy butter makes it slip from his grip with the sudden motion, sending it tumbling end-over-end straight up. The projectile doesn't go very far though, as an eager set of simian hands lash out quickly and snatch the ear in midair. Lucky for Sha'khrai, his hands are thicker and more padded than his master's as he claims the corn for himself.

The chef had come in and gone behind him when he was reaching for the corn, and now was in the process of sitting in his seat as Angio fans his hand, trying to slide around the man as he's sitting, nudging his chair slightly as he passes. Angio reaches his chair, between the chef and the blind man, dropping the roll on his empty plate and snatchin up his fork, taking a big gulp to send the bread down. Like a harpooner, he swings the fork across to the middle of the table, spearing a piece of fish, the light and sweet odor of it drifting up to him. Yanking it back, it slides off his fork and falls a few inches to his plate with a plopping sound; the meat tender enough that it's split open in the spot where the fork had poked it, sending faint steam up.

Plopping down and pulling his chair under him in one motion, the sailor looks across the table at the other dishes, eyeing the potatoes and something that appears to be some kind of baked squash of some sort. With a broad grin, he reaches into the pouch at his waist, digging around at the four small bags inside. Grabbing one, he pulls it out, looking up to his hostess as she is bringing the dog's food to him.

"Pardon if'n I seem rude, but I'm just eager to dig into this food. Been out at sea for a while and your cooking smells like it could easily be one of the best meals I've had in years, ma'am."

Pulling the small bag open, he pinches a fine red powder between his fingers, holding it up over the fish and rubbing his index and his thumb back and forth lightly to sprikle the spice. The turmeric is fragrant, and the smell blends with the scent of the fish to make a slightly bitter, and yet sweet smell with just a hint of spice to it. Sha'khrai already has the ear of corn to his mouth, his teeth ganwing into blubous kernels of corn that send buttery drippings running down his paws and dampening the hair at his wrists.

Leaning down over the plate, Angio takes another deep breath through his nose, the air rushing into his nostrils loudly as he leans back with his eyes closed. As he gets fully upright, his chest deflates like a baloon as he lets out a very satisfied sound.

"Ahhhh..."

Seraphima
02-06-07, 11:40 PM
Maurz wagged his tail as he was served, sitting like a good dog and not attacking the food and the woman who had it. Sara smiled, tilting her head down toward her dog, and then toward Rebecca.

"Thank you for going to the extra trouble for Maurz. If he could speak, I'm sure he'd thank you, as well."

Everyone else was taking their seats now...Riveria was to her left, Selene to her right, Rebecca to Riveria's right and at the head of the table, Christopher to Selene's right, and Angio between the chef and their hostess...although he took his own time getting there...with his...own manner.

She could smell the fish stew on the other side of the table, and there was bread between her and Riveria, and corn between her and Selene. There were also potatoes and squash...a magnificent meal, to be sure...Sara could scarcely remember the last time she'd had a decent home-cooked meal...for all the things she could do despite her blindness, cooking was not one of them.

So she turned to her two hostesses, Selene and Rebecca, each in their turn. "Thank you for inviting us to come share this beautiful meal at your fine home...and thank you for welcoming us, despite the abruptness of our arrival."

After this, Selene suggested that everyone pass dishes to their right, and Sara took the bowl to her left, lifting it carefully. This was the bread, she could smell it. After letting Riveria take what he wanted, she grabbed a roll for herself...oh, and it felt like such a good roll, too, the crust smooth at the top but slightly rough on the bottom, and it smelled oven-fresh, warm and familiar and wonderful, like a little bite out of heaven. Not taking too long with these thoughts, Sara passed the dish on to take the next, feeling for where it should be and finding it soon enough, and in this manner soon everyone would soon be served.

As the humans got their meal and the monkey munched on the corn he'd snagged, Maurizio bent his head to enjoy some leftover poultry. To be fair, Sara fed him as well as she could every day, but until she had a job, she had to make money last, so they never had too much to eat. Plenty was a good change.

PainTrain16
02-07-07, 01:57 PM
Everyone had taken their seat enthusiastically and had begun to pile serving after serving of steaming food onto their plates. Wiping a smeared bit of potato from her bottom lip, Selene looked around the table slowly, chewing the mix of fish and vegetable in her mouth. Taking a deep gulp, she dug her fork into another slab of fish, pushing it around the rim of her plate to wipe up some excess honey stains. Shoveling the load into her mouth, she noticed her mother give her a nasty look. Blushing at her unlady-like manners, she swallowed the bite carefully and sat up straight. Taking the knife which had yet to be touched, she gently cut the remains of the fish on her plate into small pieces. Taking one at a time into her mouth, she looked back at her mother for approval.

Ugh, she’s not even paying attention.

There hadn’t been much talk since the beginning of dinner. Selene guessed it was because of the delicious food that was being eagerly consumed by everyone around the table. Taking a break from the meal, Selene set her fork down and sat back in her chair.

“So,” she began, looking around the table, “where do you all plan to go to, if you don’t mind me asking?” She paused, scratching a relentless itch on her thigh. “Surely you all have ideas of great adventure somewhere out in this world…”

Patois
02-08-07, 04:59 PM
"Well, not to be a braggart..." Angio says with a broad grin, a few small shreds of fish meat propelling out of his mouth and landing on his plate as he talks, still chewing on a piece of the fish, " But I plan on making myself a pretty penny out on the seas."

Leaning forward, he places a beefy forearm on the table, leaning low and looking around at those who can see him, his pet gnawing on the frayed cob of corn that's been emptied into the monkey's stomach.

"I'm a man who belongs out there on the waves, letting the currents of fate take me wherever she pleases. There's fortunes to be made out there, and it's not just gold. Fine cloth, spices, ores... there's a varitable treasure out running the trade channels every day, even if it's not made of gold. "

Sighing, he shakes his head, his broad smile dropping quickly as his dreadlocks sweep back and forth on the back of his broad shoulders like a broom.

"I'll be honest, as nice at tonight's been, days like these are not for me. I just, don't feel confortable stuck on the land. As good as this food is, it just don't taste right without the smell of ocean water in the background. Walking through town and seeing clothes and goods being sold of the richest colors, they all look pale and dull when I think of the rich azure of the sea. There's something unnatural to me about walking around without the waves rocking me beneath my feet. Now, that's not to say that all is right out on the open waters..."

The blind won't get the same effect that the others do from this story, as Angio unconciously closes his eyes, opening them with the magic of the Eyes of the Sea. Looking from person to person that could see him, they will see exactly what he's seen. The untold horrors of the sea: men thrown off of ship decks by storms, ocean currents dragging screaming mouths and flailing arms under the surface, monsterous creatures that the people of the land couldn't imagine. It's a haunting image that's unnerving to even the hardiest of people. In many ways, that's exactly why Captain Jerieu had taught him the skill.

"The sea has some things that shake the strongest willed to their core, and test the fortitude of even the most couragous. Seeing a man scream his last breath out as a giant sea-beast drags him beneath the waves, his last words carried in bubbles... it's enough to give you nightmares for life. Watching men waste away with disease or hunger, not knowing if you can reach port in time to get them to a doctor or a meal; it's not something you ever forget. The first time you're standing on the deck and you see the bow go over your head, the ship capsizing right under you, you realize that there is a trade off for the sea's wonders."

Sitting back against his chair, Angio has a somber look as the Eyes of the Sea wears off, the images of horrors fading from his stare.

"The sea is both the most wonderous and vile of mistresses. And I embrace her gladly."

Taking his fork, he picks at his remaining fish lightly, not bothering to scoop any up. His demeanor has changed dramatically in the course of the story, and it's obvious by the unsettled look on his face. Not wanting to dwell, he looks around the table again, waiting to hear the next person speak.

Christoph
02-20-07, 11:07 PM
I'm really sorry for not posting in so long. I got bogged down with a bunch of other things... and I didn't quite grasp the significance of posting order. Again, I apologize. Please don't hurt me. v_v

Chris leaned backwards slightly and twirled his fork thoughtfully in his fingers. He smiled at the sailor's words; the sea was certainly a wonder to behold. The chef doubted that he was cut out for a life on it, though. Boats were a method of transportation and shipping for him at that time and nothing more.

"Well, that's certainly a difficult act to follow," Chris said with a chuckle. It certainly was, especially given what he expected his life to be after leaving Scara Brae. Still, perhaps he could make it interesting. "Once I finish my business here, I'll be heading to Corone to do more of the same things: talk to warehouse managers and work out supply contracts and the like. I only hope that all these wars won't make resources too scarce." Glancing around, he could practically hear the yawns in his mind. Time to spice things up a little... Ha! A culinary metaphor!

"And then, I begin my long voyage home to the north... to Salvar. It's certainly not a tropical paradise -- quite the opposite, in fact. In another two months, I should be back to working in my tavern located on one of the toughest trading routes in that kingdom." Chris lowered his head and grinned, the side of him that was an orator and popular story teller at the tavern back home starting to show itself. He brushed his curly brown hair away from his eyes, which now had a certain flare of life to them, and continued. Even though their blind friend couldn't see his facial expressions or hand motions, their message and effects largely carried over into his voice.

"Brawls are commonplace. We have a sign above the bar that lists prices of all our furniture for when, not if, it gets broken, if that gives you an idea. During the nights, I tend the bar and act as a bouncer of sorts at the same time. I've broken up fights ranging from your basic angry drunks, to brawls over a lover, and even one very insulted religious fanatic with a large hammer... I always stand back and watch for a little while first, though. It's the only way to have some fun."

Seraphima
02-20-07, 11:27 PM
The blind woman had listened to the sailor's gruff voice describe his intent to return to the sea to seek his fortunes, as well as the chef tell of his plans to travel around and return home to work in his tavern. It must be wonderful to know what you have planned for your life.

"Well," began Sara with a slight smile, "I don't have any plans nearly so ambitious or exciting as going back out on the sea and seeking my fortune, either by way of lifestyle or by way of seeking out supplies. In fact, my plans are quite dull in comparison."

She tucked a silky soft curl behind her ear before continuing. "Actually, my only plans for now are to try and find a job...but it is proving difficult to do so. Until then, Maurz and I will live as we have been and have faith that something will come in time."

It had been a quite cheery meal, warm and in the company of so many wonderful people. It was rare for someone to actually desire to spend time in the company of the quiet blind woman...their terminology made it uncomfortable. She could not "look" and "see" to understand, although she only tended to mind someone using such phrases if they did it to the point of crudeness or if she'd been having a bad day. Those few that were conscientious of the difference between their sight and her blindness, however, felt awkward using their normal modes of speech around her...it sometimes made it difficult to hold a conversation.

I am grateful for this brief time spent among pleasant company, even as transient as it may be.

PainTrain16
02-21-07, 01:47 PM
Selene stared breathlessly around the room as each guest shared their unique plans. She had never known that so many people led such different lives. Having grown up in a small house near town her whole life, Selene knew nothing much of the outside world and its people. Everything was quiet except for the gentle clinking of Riveria’s fork on his plate as he scooped up the remains of his meal. Letting her mind wander, Selene thought back to what had happened to her several days earlier.

After being attacked by a demon, Selene had learned that she held a key to what was known as the angelic realm. With the help of Riveria she had remained safe since that time, but she couldn’t help but wonder when they would start looking for her again. Snapping from her thoughts, Selene quickly smiled around at the guests.

“Well,” she began, “I surely can’t match any of your stories. As for what I want to do,” she paused, casting a quick look at Riveria who had since leaned back in his chair, his hands folded over his stomach, “I…I’m not sure. I suppose I’ll stay here and help mother and Riveria with tending the house.” Selene tried to hold the uneasiness back in her voice, but failed. She wasn’t actually sure what would happen to her, but she knew that it would be nothing as ideal as that. Another flashback from that day crept into her only to be shaken away quickly.

It’s over Selene. She’s gone…

She knew she was lying to herself, but it made her calm for the moment.

“Well unless if anyone wants some more,” she said, pushing her chair back and stacking her utensils on her plate, “I’ll get these out of the way.”

Patois
02-22-07, 11:23 PM
Angio places two meaty hands on the edge of the table, sliding his chair back with a grinding sound as he leans back with a satisfied groan. Raising his hands in front of him, he brings them both down in a rough slap on his belly as a broad smile crosses his face.

"That was fintastic, really fantastic. A good homecooked meal is one of those rare things that the land manages to have that draws me back between my travels."

Raising a foot slightly, he brings it down hard on the floor with a stomp, using the force of his leg to shove himself upright from the chair. Sha'khrai clings to him, little simian eyes darting around the table as it is being cleared, desperately hunting for whatever remaining food could be snatched up. Stretching back, there is a series of popping sounds as several vertebrae in the sailor's back crack. Looking around to his dinner companions, he nods a single time to the collective, not mindful of those unable to see the gesture and not caring anyways; it's just a formality anyway.

"It's certainly been a pleasant, if unexpected evening. And you've all made for some int'resting company. However, at that note, it is getting late and I must start making my way back to town."

Stepping around the table, he reaches quickly to snatch the last of the hearty bread rolls, now cool after sitting on the table but still soft and crusty. With a slight pitch, he tosses it upward. The spider monkey ravenously stretches it's hands out, grabbing the bread in midair and drawing it back to his mouth in a quick motion. Looking around, he makes particular point to nod to the chef.

"It's probably for the best that his hands are kept full. Wouldn't want to think of what they'd get a hold of on the way out if they weren't."

Flashing a grin, he leans in to the chef.

"Sorry again about the watch earlier."

Making his way across the room, he bows cordially to the hostess before reaching the door, pulling his cutlass back up to his side and wrapping the scabbard around his waist. He busies himself with tying it secure as he looks up.

"And with that, I'll bid you ado. If any of ye' fear being as lost as I about the way back, feel free to keep my company on your journey back to civilization. Otherwise, I wish you all a good evening."

With that he gave a final bow and turned to the door, stepping out into the cold night wind. It was a good end to the night, and he was sure that it was going to stay good, regardless if he was travelling through the night with others or only the company of his pet.

Christoph
02-24-07, 04:04 PM
Chris looked around and considered everyone's stories. The blind woman, Sara, seemed to have a goal as simple as it was difficult. Although he couldn't begin to understand what her life must be like, he had a good idea as to just how difficult it was going to be for her to find a job.

There was something odd about Selene's answer to her own question. His past few years of working as a bartender honed his abilities to notice hesitation and other methods of concealing thoughts and emotions in one's words. While Chris didn't think that she was being insincere as such, there was definitely something that she was hiding. Still, it wasn't his business to worry about it. The sailor's story seemed the most sincere, although perhaps the least realistic in Christopher's opinion. Still, at least he was trying to live out his dream. The chef envied him in that respect.

Speaking of the sailor, Patios seemed to be leaving already. Chris tilted his head at this display of questionable manners, but didn't say anything. In fact, he cracked a smile and held his watch up.

"No harm done, friend," he replied, nodding. "Take care, perhaps we will cross paths again."

PainTrain16
03-01-07, 08:23 AM
Selene watched sadly as the night slowly came to a close. The sailor had left recently, not showing much concern for after-dinner manners. Taking the rest of the dishes from the table, Selene set them gently on the side counter. Wiping her hands on the raggedy towel that hung under the window, she turned back to her guests.

“Well, I guess we should call it a night!” Rebecca stood from her chair and made her way to the closet in the corner, pulling a short broom from its insides.

“Of course,” she began, sweeping the crumbs from dinner into a pile on the floor, “You are welcome to stay here for the night if you like. We have an extra cot in the other room.” Selene smiled at her mother’s kindness towards the guests. “And I think I’m going to be making some hash toast with sausage rolls in the morning if you want some more home cooked food” she added in with a smile, sure that it would get their mouths watering again.

Riveria remained in silence the whole time, his mind wandering through several topics which had nothing to do with what was going on at dinner. Snapping from his daze, he looked around as everything was being cleaned. Pushing himself carefully to his feet, he yawned as a wave of exhaustion hit.

“I suppose I should be getting to bed…these old bones.” Riveria gave a soft smile to everyone in the room. Turning to Sara, he placed his hand on hers. “Be strong my dear. Know that my blessing goes with you.” Squeezing it softly, he turned back to the others. “Goodnight everyone.” With that he strode off down the hallway. His clunky steps could be heard fading away until they were stifled by the closing of a door.

“Well,” Selene started, “Unless if you want to take my mother up on her offer, I guess this is goodbye?” She stopped, looking at the few remaining guests. Would she ever see them again? Surely she would, but…what if she didn’t. It was hard for Selene to think about losing these friends almost as quickly as she had found them. “I’ll be around town during the week, so hopefully I’ll see you guys around.” She tried to convince herself that it was the case, but she knew otherwise.

With a large smile, Selene bowed to her new friends.

“It was truly a pleasure. I only hope that if we meet once more we can share time like this again. I’ve never had much of friends, living up here my whole life, so thank you.” Smiling, Selene bent down to Maurizio, rustling his hair gently. “And you…you take care of this girl, you hear?” Selene smiled as a wet kiss was placed on her cheek. Standing back up, she took a deep breath. Letting the air pour from her lungs, she grabbed the stack of dishes from the counter.

“I know mother; dishes before bed.”

Seraphima
04-28-07, 05:18 AM
Sara listened to the bustle of everyone taking their leave -- it was late, she supposed, and time to rest.

As everyone went about their ways, she picked up her own walking stick and grabbed Maurizio's harness. She turned to the girl left in the kitchen with her and smiled.

"Thank you for your hospitality, and your offer of a place to stay the night. I appreciate it greatly. I'm afraid that we part here for now, Selene. I'm blind...but this is the brightest place I've been in for a long time, and I will treasure the time spent here. But if I wake up somewhere unfamiliar, I'll spend an entire week lost."

Her smile turned brighter. "I hope, though, that we will meet again. I'll always be at the same bench in the evenings, and perhaps there we can meet again...and chat. Give your mother my thanks, and Riveria as well."

With that, she turned, letting the dog lead her through the door and away from the house.

The musk of the swamp hit Seraphima's nose and drove away the lingering scents of the warm meal and good company, and she made her way over the soft earth feelingly, avoiding the worst of the bumps and roots thanks to her dog and her cane.

When they finally got back to the road, Sara let her hand drop Maurizio's lead for a moment to pat him.

"I'd almost given up hope for us, Maurz...and while I guess we're not really any better off than we were before, I'm feeling a lot more encouraged about our future."

She gripped the leather harness again, once more resuming their slow journey through the moonlight.

"We'll look for a job again tomorrow, Maurz. And this time, it's a tomorrow I'm sure about."

Sorry to everyone else in this quest...I just couldn't find a good way to wrap this thing up.

Sighter Tnailog
05-01-07, 02:14 PM
Quest Judging
The most beautiful voice

When I signed up to read this, I expected to need a few days to find the time to read it all and come up with a sufficiently good judgment, but some good luck at work led to me having more free time than I’d expected. So I finished this fairly quickly.

A few preliminary thoughts, mainly on the scope of the “completely and totally open” rule, are in order. First, while Seraphima made this rule of her own free will, it is sometimes appropriate as a new entrant to hold back from entering a thread that has become established. Even if you PMed Seraphima and requested it, sometimes you need to consider another PM to all the current players – in this case, it is clear that Kid Disaster was not prepared for the sudden onslaught of three other characters. While he could have roughed it out, maybe even done some fun stuff with Solo getting jealous of Sara’s now divided attention, at the same time it was clear there was some OOC stuff behind the scenes that was causing trouble.

Honestly, when I read the beginning of the thread, as Solo and Sara, I was considering it as a possible Judge’s Choice contender. I don’t want any of you others to think you cheapened it – on the contrary, I think what you did was a fairly good example of how to run a more “open” quest structure. But when it went on for so long with just those two, it sort of developed its own charm, and so by the time the others got in their efforts were disrupting an established pattern and jarring the reader.

With that criticism aside, let me say that I did enjoy this quest. It is rare on Althanas to find simple threads where characters share some conversation or enjoy a meal. And the “conflict,” such as it was, was done in a way that was delightfully subtle and nuanced. Conflict needn’t always be gladiatorial, and in this case you showed that nicely.

STORY

Continuity ~ 6/10. Solo and Sara did a good job of positioning themselves in Scara Brae and establishing their reasons for being there, and as the other folks entered I could see them using good reasons, for the most part. It could have been a bit better, perhaps, but I will say that the inclusion of the “tale telling” around the supper table was a nice touch that helped elaborate on your stories a bit better. But continuity also implies that the ending seems to “fit,” and in this case I had to dock a point for an ending that seemed to arrive out of nowhere.
Setting ~ 7/10. I got some of the flavor of the city, but I could have gotten more. Smells, sounds, textures – Sara, you do a good job with description, but I’d love to see a more complete picture of the full range of senses. With a blind character, you are uniquely positioned to flesh out aspects of the world other characters are bound to miss. And Christoph, while sometimes you may not want to describe things that others have already done, you also have a unique character – a chef! Perhaps he notices aromas that others don’t, due to years in the kitchen? Just try to keep in mind that different characters notice different things in their surroundings, and often will react to the same setting in different ways. I must say, though…I gave you a bonus point for the meal description.
Pacing ~ 5/10. Like I mentioned before, the entrances of Angio, Christoph, and Selena, while not bad, did sort of jar the mood and change the pacing of things. Kid Disaster’s sudden departure, too, was perhaps a cop out but was, at the same time, an understandable response to a confusing turn of events. “Totally open” does not mean “free-for-all” unless the thread creator stipulates, and in the future please do a little bit more planning with ALL involved parties before joining a thread that has already established its mood and direction. And I must say…the ending left much to be desired.

CHARACTER

Dialogue ~ 7/10. The opening dialogue between Sara and Solo was quite good – I particularly liked Sara’s description of the difference between a real voice and the mental voice, and the way voices sound different depending on changes in context. The rest of the dialogue was good, and for the most part defined your characters fairly well – I particularly liked how characters responded and interacted with the “subtext” of statements, such as “As you can see.” You turned the dialogue into an actual form of character interaction, not merely a method of getting characters from point A to point B.
Action ~ 6/10. Lots of people like to say that for action to be good, it has to be exciting and big and grandiose – but I like to make a comparison between the world of music and the world of writing on this point. Michael T. Thomas says, “Extreme volume in music very often disguises a lack of actually important content.” And the same in writing: excess action often follows some very bad writing. Action must flow as the logical outcome of a character’s understanding of their situation, and in this case I thought what your characters did and how they responded was stellar. In all honesty, you lost some points because of Kid Disaster’s disappearance – it seemed as though his character left, not because Solo wanted to, but because Solo’s player couldn’t take it. And while this is assuredly the case, it does not excuse the ungraceful exit. And you lost another point because the other characters didn’t seem to respond sufficiently to the sudden exit.
Persona ~ 6/10. A fairly good job showing character emotions and the inner lights of your characters. The lower score is the result, more or less, of many of the things listed above as minor flaws – the strange ending, Solo’s disappearance, and your general responses to certain stimuli.

WRITING STYLE

Technique ~ 6/10. Good for the most part. Patois, watch your verb tense! I can understand using present tense to make something more active occasionally, but speaking as someone who once tried to use it exclusively it simply does not sound right. On the one hand, your fellows are almost always using past tense, so you clash with them, and on the next hand you yourself sometimes varied both between posts and within the same post. Match your tense to those around you, but at the very least make sure you stay consistent with yourself!
Mechanics ~ 7/10. You obviously know the rules of English, but a few problem: when you’re using “it is,” you use “it’s.” When you’re using the possessive form of “it,” you use “its.” And with “who”: “who is” is “who’s.” Possessive is “whose.” Those were among some of the minor errors I saw. Just watch those things!
Clarity ~ 6/10. Sometimes, I had trouble figuring out where things were going, or things weren’t self-evident from the writing – for instance, it was sometimes difficult to figure out who exactly had the watch, or it was simply assumed that the dog picked it up without actually explaining that such a thing had happened. Be a bit more precise in the future with explaining the action of the thread, and you’ll get better points here.

MISCELLANEOUS

Wild Card ~ 6/10. An average thread with flaws and room for improvement, but not a bad one. I stayed interested in the plot and was refreshed by the simplicity of the narrative, and for that I thank you. One warning, though – in the future, try to edit out any OOC conversation between players except for what is strictly necessary commentary to the moderator, such as ((bunnying approved from this point on)) or some such. OOC conversation can be essential at times, but when you’re ready to get judged it should be removed to provide the moderator as seamless a read as possible.

TOTAL ~ 62 A solid final score!

EXP REWARDS

Seraphima earns 1000 EXP!
Kid Disaster earns 600 EXP!
Patois earns 750 EXP!
Cristopher earns 1100 EXP
PainTrain16 earns 750 EXP!

EXP totals are based on your overall contribution to the thread and your current level.

GP Rewards

Seraphima earns 250 GP!
Kid Disaster earns 90 GP!
Patois earns 150 GP!
Christopher earns 130 GP!
PainTrain16 earns 160 GP!

Other Rewards – These Rewards Cannot be Sold for Cash

Seraphima wins a metal tip to her walking stick
Patois wins a small copper medallion with a sea bass depicted on it
Christopher earns a golden watch chain in addition to the one he currently has
PainTrain16 earns a hand cart to help carry her mother’s groceries

Cyrus the virus