PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Hunter Redux

Tigereye
01-26-07, 10:42 AM
Well, I've gotten my Spirit Hunting Compatriarch to wake up and start posting, so I'm going to work this character over a little bit and hope for the best. Hopefully I'll make this profile a little more clear than I got the idea it was last time. I'm making a lot of edits, and it's been a very long time anyways, so it may be best just to read the whole thing.

I could go through make note of all the changes if that's better, but there's a lot, so I figured this makes easier reading.

The consul waited patiently at her desk. The subject of her inquiry was late, which was not unexpected given the reports on his attitude, but it was still slightly miffing. She almost called to send someone out to search for this stray they'd picked up, but just at that moment he stepped in with a scowl.

She admitted he had a sort of exotic grace about him, from the honeyed tan of his skin over toned muscles, to the tiger-like stripes that patterned his arms, back, and probably even legs, to his striped and close cropped hair, to the softly furred slightly elvish ears that adorned the sides of his head. Twitching with insolence now, they would have to fix that with time, he carried a far too disrespectful an air about him.

Character:

After waiting for a few minutes form him to explain himself while he just sat looking bored, the consul finally decided to at least break the silence.

"You're late. It would be the least you could do to be punctual."

"I wont appologize."

Well, at least he'd decided to respond this time, she thought acidly. His ears were twitching again, and she could pick up traces of amusement in his general demeanor. He was toying with her. That, she would not tolerate,

"The Spirit Hunters are a very prestigious organization. You should be flattered even to be here to meet with me, not to mention your 'other' circumstances," She stopped suddenly, in order to reorganize her phrasing. He could be useful, she didn't want to push his buttons too badly, apparently he'd been noted to have a slight temper, though there were anecdotes to that saying he didn’t hold grudges either, "It wouldn't kill you to at least play along."

"Fine, fine... What do you want to know?" He was young, he was wild, but he wasn't that bad really. Of course he had to tack on an exaggerated sigh for effect. But he was showing promise, at least he smirked this time instead of scowled. So at least there seemed to be SOME progress with the insufferable baboon.

History:

"What is it that made you decide you wanted to join us?" She started off with the most simple line of questioning. He would probably sidestep the question, but the entire process was mostly a formality anyways.

"Since when did I decide to join up? Last I heard, it was your people who propositioned me."

As expected. She'd read the reports though, and already suspected the reason, but she'd hoped to hear of the matter from his own lips. Apparently there had been a rogue sorcerer who had walked into a town he was temporarily staying at, and more or less tried to take the place over and bully the townsfolk. This young man had stepped up and actually managed to subdue the sorcerer. Without any apparent power of his own, that was no mean feat. It was lucky some agents had been near to town though, for by the end of the battle both contestants were fairly burnt. Further testing revealed that he had a slight magical resistance, as well as some sort combat ability that was either spiritual or magical in nature.

It wasn't that hard to figure out his reasons, so the consul just decided to move on. "Fine then, past training and skills?"

"I was raised by a crazy old man in the middle of nowhere who seemed to enjoy beating the crap out of me. We didn't even really use names. I guess he taught me some hand to hand combat and stuff... he kicked me out shortly before I showed up here."

The consul sighed and rubbed her forhead, the boy was putting a misleading light on things. From what they'd been able to devise previously, he'd lived and grown up with some sort of old hermit, who spent much time in meditation and martial study. The man wasn't his father, but if he knew who his father was he wasn't saying anything. To call this young elf in front of her decent in unarmed combat would not be an overstatement. It had to have been some sort of master of the art that taught him. As it was he had little trouble thrashing many of the trainees who were training with actual weapons in sparring drills, and that was ignoring some of his other abilities. Unfortunately trying to get him to talk about his past was similar in difficulty to trying to pull teeth from a dragon. Luckily the young man in front of her did not possess fire breath. However, he had proven his ability and intelligence on multiple occasions already as he was recovering.

She felt no disturbing emissions from his spirit... and so...

"Fine, be that way. I had simply wanted a chance to go over some things with you before making things official, but you seem as ornery as ever. So let’s just skip the formalities. Welcome to the Spirit Hunters, C'est Vrai." She didn't mention that meeting him in person was required, the reports on his actions were too ambiguous to tell what was in his heart, as it was she could only feel a glimpse, but that was enough.

He took some time before responding, which was simply a slow nod. He looked irritated though, and his ears were twitching again. But the consul thought he seemed more embarrassed than anything else. She silently chuckled then, as he turned stalked out from under the tent.

Gracefully still.

Name: C'est Vrai. He doesn't mention any previous name to the code one given by the Spirit Hunters.
Race: Undetermind, Tigerish. He has features that could be elven, human, or something else.
Hair: Close cropped fiery orange with black horizontal stripes. It grows white at the temples.
Eyes: Gold
Height: 6'3
Weight: 220

Clothing: He generally wears the same pair of baggy ragged pants, for freedom of movement, with a simple knotted cord for a belt. Rather than a shirt, he has long strips of white cloth wrapped around his abdomen and over one shoulder, which is also used as wrap around his hands and feet. He often doesn't wear shoes, but lately he's taken to wearing moccasins or tied on sandals of hard leather.

Appearance: Under the stripes, tan skin, furry ears and fangs, he could be either a very fine featured human or a very solidly built elf. He's His ears are slightly pointed and fairly mobile, and can often be used to read his mood. Rather than looking alien to either society though, he would mostly look exotic. His old teacher used to tell him he was too pretty to be a guy, and should get himself roughed up in the outside world to blunt his features. (something he's probably not going to do.) The spirit hunters have adorned him with tattoos of a fang at the corner of each eye.

Personality: You probably have an idea by now, but I'll sum it up in more concrete terms. He's spent much of his life alone, or with one man, and doesn't socialize well with others. He tends to be vain, disrespectful, and insolent, brusque, and be prone to outburst. However he's also kind hearted, honorable, just, and will neither lie nor hold grudges.

Skills:

Outdoorsy: While he did grow up alone with an old man in the middle of nowhere, it was very nice nowhere, with mountainous terrain, trees, and even a lake of sorts. So he's fairly self sufficient at wilderness survival lore, and he enjoys swimming. He would often hunt for food, either by bow or simply throwing stones. He's passable at either.

Unarmed Combat: He probably wouldn't know much of what to do with the use of most weapons, but he can hold his own against decent opponents who use them while he's unarmed, by either grappling or striking (thanks to his next ability.) He has learned how and where to punch and kick, and has built up good strength, endurance, and speed.

Iron Spirit: Inside him lies an untapped spiritual power. By focusing his energy he can reinforce his limbs to resist blunt force and cutting damage with a projection that has a durability similar to hardwood, he can extend this projection with cutting edges at the end similar to knifes or claws. These projections can break though, causing him to reel back and be seriously drained. As long as he has energy to fight though, he can form more. Reinforcing his limbs time and again until he passes out. They also don't sustain damage, if it doesn't break with one hit it will refresh between blows, though it does take energy.

Resonance: He has an odd inate ability to resist magical effects, magic on par with his level should be about halved, but his resistance gets exponentially greater as the spells get weaker than he is, likewise his resistance works exponentially less as the spells are stronger than he is. This ability, as it is unconcious, works for both good or ill. He can also feel when sources of magic should be effecting him, or if it's close simply if one's nearby. Thus, physical magics will be more effective than mental ones. A mental one will be reduced, and he will know about it, giving it even less power over him. A physical one might be reduced as it touches him, but for instance... fire exploding in the air around him is fire no matter what happens to the magic that touches him directly.

Also as a note: While he doesn't heal faster than most people, he tends to heal more completely.

Equipment: A backpack with: rolls of extra cloth as bandages, a change of more civilized clothing provided by the spirit hunters with a hooded cloak, a coil of rope and flint.

Lets see how that does. I would think that's a solid level 0.

INDK
01-26-07, 11:52 AM
Nice profile. However, I have a couple comments that I want you to keep in mind as you play your character.

With resonance, when you say the effectiveness exponentially weaker, I'll let that stand, as long as you keep in mind that a level 6 should not be so powerful that a level 0 does not stand a chance against it. If at 7 levels above, the spells are almost useless, thats okay.

Lastly, with your healing, I assume that does not encompass regeneration or anything like that. I don't know if you meant it to. However, since that wouldn't be acceptable at level 0 anyways, I'm going to approve this as it is now.

Welcome back!