PDA

View Full Version : Nihon

Reiko
01-26-07, 08:46 PM
I really think we should get Nihon back. Oriental characters seem to be dificult to accept and it's really common to see members and staff complain about Japanese characters not being from Althanas even though there still are traces of Nihon in the materials with Nihon redwood. I really think it would help the community too to have this region made into an official region again.

If no one is willing to work on the region I'd gladly take on the task of writing the region if you want. I just really think it would make the world of Althanas more complete.

Atzar
01-26-07, 08:53 PM
While I like the premise of the region, I worry that it wouldn't be used. We have, after all, seven major regions already, but only one is very active. What would make Nihon so different that it would be regularly used after it's created?

I'm not for or against the idea yet - I want to hear more before I decide.

Sid
01-26-07, 08:56 PM
I think new members need more information before casting any kind of vote, I've been here a year and never heard about Nihon. What type of government, environment, race composition, population, climate does it have? What would be its political alignments with the other regions be?

The Valkyrie
01-26-07, 08:57 PM
Isn't Akashima or whatever it is our Asian/Oriental/Japanesesque region? Why do we need another? I have to agree with Sid - I've been here much longer than a year and this is the first time I've heard a breath about Nihon.

grim137
01-26-07, 09:13 PM
We don't really need it. It was an alright area with some interesting aspects but honestly it wasn't active and I don't honestly see why we need to bring Nihon back. Plus Akashima is oriental to a very small degree though honestly is it even neccessary to have an oriental nation?

Reiko
01-26-07, 09:13 PM
Akashima seems more like a part of Corone, and while I love the place it seems more an extension of Corone and mostly European with Asian influence. Still it's a great place that Raven made so it's awesome. But even with it most oriental characters are treated as alien and Nihon was a part of Althanas awhile back but it didn't last long sadly since the people working on it left.

The government is Feudalism except for the lords or Daimyo are more prone to fight amongst themselves and there’s a strict code of honor. It has a temperate enviroment, though I’m going some special places if I get to work on it. Race is mostly oriental human, though most the sub races will be kemono (furry) and other beings based on Japanese myth. For alignment with the other regions, I’ll have to see how it goes, but being the lords tend to be independent, some lords would be allies with Alerar while another would be with Corone and another would be with Raiaera.

I hope that helps.

Ashiakin
01-26-07, 09:57 PM
It's my impression that the two writers who worked on Nihon decided they were not interested in it becoming an Althanas continent. The concept is essentially dead in the water. Additionally, I firmly believe that we have too many regions as it is and I'm extremely skeptical of adding another one for any reason.

Raelyse
01-26-07, 10:11 PM
I'm for it if we can find commited writers (I would be interested) and we don't call it Nihon.

Elrundir
01-26-07, 10:17 PM
While I do see the worry about adding another region when several of the ones we have are grossly underused as it is, I don't really see the harm in adding another one, at least at some point down the line. As long as we have dedicated writers for it, the underuse problem should correct itself. People will RP in interesting regions that are well-written and maintained. And we know Althanas is a biiiiiig planet...

But please don't call it Nihon. You realize that's the Japanese word for Japan, right? ^^;;

Sighter Tnailog
01-26-07, 10:19 PM
Furthermore, the concept of Nihon is technically owned, in an intellectual property sense, by ACDragonMaster and Azuki. The elements of Nihon we have -- like Nihon Redwood -- are elements they have not objected to us using.

Let me add, too, that adding another region is not a matter of what people want -- it's a matter of what we can get done.

Furthermore, I think it's accurate -- it's cheesy anime crap. Keep it out of this forum.

Elrundir
01-26-07, 10:22 PM
I do have to ask: why is it "cheesy animé crap"?

Reiko
01-26-07, 10:22 PM
sure another name would work too^^

how about

Hisuiiro for the name, not a big deal^^

and that way there won't be any intellectual problems either. And I'll be a committed writer if need be.

Ashiakin
01-26-07, 10:26 PM
sure another name would work too^^

how about

Hisuiiro for the name, not a big deal^^

and that way there won't be any intellectual problems either. And I'll be a committed writer if need be.

Yes, there would be. I can't take take a manuscript of The Lord of the Rings, change Tolkien's name to my own, and publish it without repercussions.

Reiko
01-26-07, 10:29 PM
Yes, there would be. I can't take take a manuscript of The Lord of the Rings, change Tolkien's name to my own, and publish it without repercussions.

well apart from what every hack fantasy author does and gets away with it all the time. the only thing similar is a region based off of Japan and they don't have a intellectual rights to Japan or asia.

I wasn't going to steal theirs, should have realized that usng the same name was stupid. It's not hard to make it unique from their nihon.

Atzar
01-26-07, 10:40 PM
I'm going to cautiously support this idea. I think Althanas has enough of a samurai/ninja cult that the new region would see some play. I agree, however, that it needs to be an original design before it's really considered.

Ashiakin
01-26-07, 10:47 PM
well apart from what every hack fantasy author does and gets away with it all the time. the only thing similar is a region based off of Japan and they don't have a intellectual rights to Japan or asia.

You can't. Four of our seven regions are heavily influenced by European/Western culture but none of us own intellectual rights to Europe. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon isn't illegal for using China in a fantasy context just as Lord of the Rings isn't for being influenced by Europe. The vast majority of all novels ever written take place in regions of the world that the writers did not own "rights" to. My point is that you can't take someone else's idea, no matter what their source material was, and edit it into something without their permission. There is a vast different between, say, writing a fantasy book influenced by Greek mythology than writing a fantasy book about a fantasy book that was influenced by Greek mythology.

Reiko
01-26-07, 10:57 PM
You can't. Four of our seven regions are heavily influenced by European/Western culture but none of us own intellectual rights to Europe. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon isn't illegal for using China in a fantasy context just as Lord of the Rings isn't for being influenced by Europe. The vast majority of all novels ever written take place in regions of the world that the writers did not own "rights" to. My point is that you can't take someone else's idea, no matter what their source material was, and edit it into something without their permission. There is a vast different between, say, writing a fantasy book influenced by Greek mythology than writing a fantasy book about a fantasy book that was influenced by Greek mythology.

I'm simply filling a hole left by Nihon's no longer being here. if I use my own damn idea then it's cool. it may have Samurai and ninja but If I make a region that has similar traits but is deferent than Nihon and ergo not nihon and,enmm doesn't steal unique creations from Nihon then it's fine. but whatever.

Ashiakin
01-26-07, 11:07 PM
I'm simply filling a hole left by Nihon's no longer being here. if I use my own damn idea then it's cool. it may have Samurai and ninja but If I make a region that has similar traits but is deferent than Nihon and ergo not nihon and,enmm doesn't steal unique creations from Nihon then it's fine. I don't know why I have to argue with you and I'm sorta sick of it. I don't know why I bother with anything here.

I apologize if I misinterpreted your intentions. However, in your initial post you were advocating bringing back Nihon, not creating a new region similar to Nihon as you seem to be doing now. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean you have to stop lobbying for such a region. I do have the final authority on the matter of adding a new region (and to be clear, I feel that adding any new region at this point is a bad idea, especially as one that comes with as much creative rights baggage as Nihon) but you should always feel free to advocate for what you want. I just want people to know the realities of the situation and how I feel about it.

Taijitu
01-26-07, 11:35 PM
I think the fact that most of Althanas is centered completely on mostly European themes is disgusting. Why even HAVE other regions if they are all going to copies of the previous thing with a new name slapped on them? I like Fallien because it isn't the BS "High Fantasy" European style but instead more Arabian and Persian.

I think we need a new region that is of another culture, say a Japanese culture with maybe some Chinese thrown in. I agree that a new region can be bad idea, and I think that its only true if the new region is just a copy of all the old ones. What harm does it do to the forum if Reiko and others volunteer to create and build the region. I mean, adding another catagory cannot hurt?

If you can tell me one really good reason why a bunch of people getting together and creating something they think Althanas would be better off with can actually damage or hurt Althanas or its community in some way, then I say yes, let's not foolishly take the risk. It would need discussion. But there is no RISK! If it doesn't work, oh well, we tried. If it does, awesome, we have a new and successfull region. Whats wrong with trying?

I will volunteer to help Reiko. I would definately be one to use this new region quite a lot and would like to help in any way I can.

Edit: I have been talking to Reiko. It was a mistake to mention Nihon. She doesn't want to bring Nihon back, she wants to create a new region that has Oriental influence, and not centered around European or "High Fantasy". If anything is similar to Nihon, its only coincidence since it's influenced by the same culture.

AsukaStrikes
01-26-07, 11:48 PM
Sounds like you've got some things planned out, Reiko. You know where to find Master Raven. Once he's online, of course.

I've heard of Nihon from a while back as well, but I guess it's an oldbie thing since it hasn't been mentioned for... Oh, an eternity? Except for their redwood, of course. Either way, I've said what needs to be said.

Ashiakin
01-26-07, 11:57 PM
I think the fact that most of Althanas is centered completely on mostly European themes is disgusting. Why even HAVE other regions if they are all going to copies of the previous thing with a new name slapped on them? I like Fallien because it isn't the BS "High Fantasy" European style but instead more Arabian and Persian.

Well, if you mean in the make-up of the regions, I would argue that wasn't the case (my earlier statement was a misleading generalization.) Only Corone, Raiaera, Alerar, and Salvar can be seen as being mostly influenced by Europe. Dheathain, Fallien, and Istraloth take the majority of their conceptual make-up from other cultures. The thing is, Althanas is composed of regions that are all nearby so it makes more sense from them to draw from a common cultural background.

If you were just referring to all of the Western influences on Althanas in general, sure, it's annoying, but like 95% of the people who role-play on Althanas are Westerners. Believe me, I dislike High Fantasy as much as you seem to. But I don't see how drawing from Arab culture is fundamentally different drawing from European culture.

I think we need a new region that is of another culture, say a Japanese culture with maybe some Chinese thrown in. I agree that a new region can be bad idea, and I think that its only true if the new region is just a copy of all the old ones. What harm does it do to the forum if Reiko and others volunteer to create and build the region. I mean, adding another catagory cannot hurt?

If a new region was added, it would likely be one that lacked a European background. I'm not some sort of Euro-centric elitist (far from it, I like to think.) I mainly dislike the idea of a Nihon-esque region between of the uncertain waters around the intellectual rights. If an original idea that had nothing to do with Nihon and was just a new region with East Asian influences, that'd be fine. I would still be strongly leery of adding another region for other reasons.

If you can tell me one really good reason why a bunch of people getting together and creating something they think Althanas would be better off with can actually damage or hurt Althanas or its community in some way, then I say yes, let's not foolishly take the risk. It would need discussion. But there is no RISK! If it doesn't work, oh well, we tried. If it does, awesome, we have a new and successfull region. Whats wrong with trying?

There is nothing wrong with that. That's what Althanas is all about. But here's the problem with adding any sort of new region now, regardless of its quality or cultural influences: The regions we have now are underused and difficult to coordinate as it is. I feel like adding another region would only compound that problem. In the future, Althanas will add new regions. But I think we need more players so we can justifiably have a larger staff before that happens. And it will happen. I'm just saying that it's going to be a little ways down the road. No reason not to have your ideas ready and waiting for that point, though.

Furthermore, I apologize if anyone feels I've been too harsh or dismissive in this thread. I've been rather busy lately trying to coordinate things on Althanas. It's proving a difficult task and I felt that this would only make it more difficult.

Atzar
01-27-07, 12:14 AM
There are a lot of cultures that I would like to see come to Althanas in one form or another. Oriental, Pre-Columbian (Aztecs and their contemporaries), Egyptian, possibly Celtic. But Ashiakin, ultimately, is right; at the moment, at least, we don't use what we have enough to justify additional regions. It would only serve to spread out Althanas' population even further than it already is.

Ürei
01-27-07, 01:47 AM
Sorry for lashing out a bit. I was just annoyed that so many people were lashing out at at my friend Reiko and a lot of them were not very well founded. I wanted to get things straight, and I'm also sorry if I sounded mean. My temper was growing short, which is a rare thing, because Reiko was truly distressed by the reaction some people posted here.

I think that things like this should only be discussed under calmer conditions ^^

Anyways, Ashiakin, I get what you are saying. I suppose for now Reiko and I and whoever else wants to help can simply coordinate some information and make a growing Other Region continent that will actually have true background if and when it comes into play as an official region. That would be nice, now wouldn't it?

Taijitu is me, if this post didn't make sense to anyone. I had forgotten I was on that account when I posted.

Also, I don't hate High Fantasy, I just hate when people only use High Fantasy and consider anything thats different to be crappy or cheesy. Anime may have a bad reputation for some reasons that I don't really understand, but I have read manga and seen anime that was better written, with deeper characters and plots then a lot of the writings I've seen by the people who complain. Really, that doesn't give them much room to talk. ^^

So, all I ask is that you don't discriminate. Sorry, this was lengthy.

AsukaStrikes
01-27-07, 02:08 AM
It's not the Anime or the theme, as far as I'm concerned. It's the overtly cliche portrayal that's sickening and that is true for any kind of role-playing, even for High Fantasy, CyberPunk or even Historical role-playing.

In other words, we understand what you're saying, Urei. Some of us just didn't really understand the entire thing.

Ürei
01-27-07, 02:15 AM
Sorry I have a bad habbit to only write half of what I'm thinking in my mind and I end up talking in circles. V_V

Cyrus the virus
01-27-07, 02:35 AM
There are some issues that haven't really been touched on yet in here, either. I can think of a few people, myself included, who'd love a shot at creating a region on Althanas. When the opportunity comes to add a new one, I think it's going to need a lot more thought than 'Althanas doesn't have this, let's make it'.

I'm of the opinion that the creation of a new region should take far more input from others than what's been given in the past. And like I said, there are a few people who want their opportunities as well.

This post lacks any structure to it, sorry.

Cielalune
01-27-07, 02:59 AM
I think that we do need some kind of oriental place you know, cause where the hell can we get ninjas, kung fu masters, samurais and the like? And some of the weapons people use are asian based so where would they most likely get them in Althanas (unless they were in Earth once or something).

So in conclusion to my reply (which I know is already said by others), I agree with Reiko with her idea and willing to support her if I can, regardless my character being french. Although, it's true that most threads sprout out in one region, it's nice to know that there are other choices of locations. A chinese village sounds fun anyway. (I have three threads in a forest haha. I need an ideal new setting sometime though.)

Good luck Reiko!

By the way, some anime shows have really really good stories and characters. Don't treat it like it's generic. There's like, a topic for each one's interest.

AdventWings
01-27-07, 03:03 AM
Hehe, Ciel hit it dead on as well as Cyrus here.

In fact, I'm going to take this to Letho and make small changes to Akashima to accomodate a few ideas such as the Samurai class as well as weapons and customs.

Japan with French Aristocracy twist is a certainly fun way to do things. ;) Inputs are welcomed!

EDIT: Oh, yes. I've talked with Reiko about this one and all signs points to OK. :) Not sure about Letho, though. That'll be taken care of later.

Cyrus the virus
01-27-07, 03:04 AM
Beh, people can use roman weapons but we don't have a roman empire. Just like Izvilvin can use sai despite it's country of origin not existing on Althanas. I think that argument's about as valid as saying characters shouldn't have chainmail because Althanas never experienced the middle ages. Or something.

I, myself, would think it a shame to shove ninjas and samurai into some region rather than have them be mobile. But you could make that argument about anything.

Kung-fu, samurai and ninjas, keep in mind, are not the same on Althanas as they were/are on Earth. Who's to say they all came from one region that spawned them? They have a different origin on Althanas than they do on Earth, so why make a 'Japan' for them to be in? I think the more we think this way, the more we forget Althanas is a fictional world that we don't want to be like our lovely planet.

I babble a lot.

AdventWings
01-27-07, 03:28 AM
Yes you do, Cy. But a valid point indeed. :p

Elrundir
01-27-07, 11:08 AM
Meh, the only thing I really take issue with is having the idea called anime crap. Or having it called anime at all, really. Since when and for what reason does an Oriental-inspired idea suddenly gain the taboo of being clichéd and anime? That's a horrible reverse-stereotype and nothing else. You could say anime is clichéd Japanese crap, depending on your opinion, but the reverse is just narrow-minded.

Anyway, I think the addition of such a nation would be interesting for more reasons than just "we have lots of samurai and ninja characters, and where else could they have come from?" Simply put, we don't have many, or even any, regions quite like a Japan/China inspired region could be like. China way back when was sort of an ultra-imperial nation, demanding (and getting) tribute from multiple smaller nations surrounding it. Japan in the meanwhile was cautious of outsiders, even completely closed off at one point, and central command of the government didn't even really exist for some time, so before then it was all very feudal. Right now every region (well, I'm not too sure about Dheathain but not too much has been written about it yet anyway) has that form of central government. If nothing else, this could be a fresh idea.

Don't get me wrong, I totally see the counter-arguments, such as whether or not adding a new region would be a good idea right now. I've hopped back and forth between support of this and being a bit leery of that fact myself. All I'm saying is, for those who have, don't dismiss the idea simply because it draws inspiration from Earth (remember that this fact doesn't necessarily make Althanas more like Earth), and certainly not because it's "cliché anime" stuff.

Zook Murnig
01-27-07, 11:26 AM
Personally, I feel like Akashima doesn't have enough of an Oriental feel to it to be considered the Oriental region. All I really see about the place that strikes me as solely Japanese or Chinese is the name, and a couple of other things. I'm not big on asian-themed characters, but if this new place was created, I'd be happy to make a new asian character to play there.

Artifex Felicis
01-27-07, 11:45 AM
Actually the Roman Sword was origionally made byt he Celtics and the Romans stole it. And it was nearly identical in shape to about 40 (exhageration) other cutlures typpes of weapons at the time. Like the Baselord, wakaskazi, Swiss dagger or katzbalger. All it is is a stick of metla yea big, sharpened with a point and two sides.

From my knowledge, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that many of the curved weapons oftenseen in Asian/Indian/all of there cultures are curved because it makes them easier to swing and to do all of that good stuff. Inversly, this also makes them harder to stab with. Now then, unless I'm wrong but metal plated armor like the type we're know of better is mostly from Europe/Slaver Alerar and etc. Said armor makes slashing against it far more useless, but stabbing works quite a bit better. It would be easier to simply explain as why Althanas wouldn't have as many of that type of weaponry as say, a more asian-like area with little metal armor.

Then of course there's also the fcat that there's a crapload of the map uncovered. Odds are it's not just 4-5 other nations, but a whole pletora of diffrent things. Also, drawing from China and Japan, it could also very much so be a place where the outsiders could get taken in and turned into slaves the moment they set foot on shore. Also, I would like to see diffrent humans as well. Since frankly the most obvious changes, in a human's point of veiw on Althanas, from Elves to humans are merely apperance.

Sides, it's always sort of bothered me about a few things on Althanas. Like why Alerar and Raieara are fighting for one, the "No Outsiders" thing on Fallien, Corone's Peacefulness and , How the hell anyone would know about Istarloth and I'll add somethign about Hadia after it's actually up. My point is every nation has a lot of stuff I could make fun of, same with everyone else. I could call salvar a Russian Dream for example. Though the main reason I haven't really done much in the other areas is because I haven't had much IC reason to be honest. While it might be the same depending on how it is made, it is still one of those things that would probably benifet Althanas as a whole if it was made. If anything than to simply help diversify and show that Althanas isn't entirely like Europe.

Skie and Avery
01-27-07, 03:11 PM
Furthermore, I think it's accurate -- it's cheesy anime crap. Keep it out of this forum.

I only had to read this far. Thank you, Madison. Thank you. *collapses in a fit of laughter and tears* Oh, that made my day.

Chidori Draconid
01-27-07, 03:52 PM
Wow! I'm seeing alot going on here. I'd like to put my hand in this as well.

To start off, Reiko, it's a little difficult to appreciate that poll. From what I'm reading we can either be in full support of the idea, completely apathetic, or completely against it because we hold something against Japanese and Anime culture. I know that was probably for humor sake, but we are takling about a serious issue here: Adding yet another region.

While I voted in the middle I am against this decision for two main reasons.

The first reason I'm against adding another region to the fray is because the regions we already have seem to be at a struggle not only for activity, but also for cannon completion. The new Haidia (I'm too lazy to spell its new name) is just now nearing completion. Apparently changes were made to the schools in Raiaera, the system for becoming a noble in Salvar has been abreviated. The war between Raiaera and Alerar has yet to commince even though it seemed to have been brewing up months ago when I was hyperactive, but no one's exchanged so much as one blow since then. Then there's Istraloth, which won the Regional Writer's Contest and still took months to complete... Is it complete? I'm not bringing that up because my region lost, but mine was among many regions whose content would have been one hundred percent complete if it had won, and if the public votes were sovereign one of those regions would have been up, complete, and ready for playing.

On the other hand if we members invested more of our time in regions other than Corone, we wouldn't be worrying about having another vacant region forum. We need to branch out. We need to use our imagination and put our characters in these other regions. If one more person tells me they have no IC reason for taking their character to another region, I'm going to call bullshit on them. It's no longer a valid excuse in my book. It's like faking sick for a school day to miss a test you know you're going to fail. Quite frankly the only reason many members play in Corone is because it gives the impression of a 'default' region and they think they don't have to make much of an effort to get their environment right.

Bottom line, the administration needs to finish their work and the players need to expand their horizons. Then we can talk about adding another region.

Osato
01-27-07, 05:58 PM
I think, personally, that if we've got to revive any region it should be something more useful that actually pertains to the storyline of Althanas. The only region's that I find that are like that would be Antioch, but Fox left soooo long ago that it wouldn't matter.

Nihon was little used and rather cliche. We don't need an oriental place. Use what we already have.

Sighter Tnailog
01-27-07, 07:33 PM
Elrundir, for the record, when I said it was cliche anime crap, that was a joke. I guess I didn't make that plain enough. Oriental-inspired themes aren't necessarily cliche and aren't necessarily crap -- and they aren't necessarily even anime.

But I'd like to note that I said Oriental-INSPIRED. What I hear a lot of people arguing for is not a region inspired by oriental themes, but a region that tries to create an amalgam of eastern concepts without creating anything truly new. You like Shinto, so that goes in, but you only marginally understand the differences between the Mahayana, Theravadan, and Zen traditions of Buddhism, so you shunt those to the side. You like the idea of Samurai, but you fail to discern how the difference between Chinese and Japanese varieties, so your Samurai is just a flavorless, tasteless, distinctionless member of an equally generic Samurai order. The entire cultures of Vietnam and Cambodia and Laos are just ignored altogether, and don't get me started on Thailand.

Before anyone lobbying for an eastern-inspired region accuses Althanas and its administrators of Eurocentrism, read Edward Said's Orientalism. Although it's a dated study, it is as pertinent today as it ever was. Romanticizing and promoting myths of what the eastern cultures. The "Samurai" are not what you think they are. Nor are the religions.

When you ask for an Eastern-oriented continent, you make the fundamental error of assuming that the word "Eastern" actually means something. When you say something is "Western," you tend to understand that there are significant distinctions between Germany and France and America. But too many people tend to assume that "Eastern" is just an amalgam concept, and totally ignore the diversity that exists within eastern culture.

Then there's a question of continent writer. Personally, I'd vote Shyam, and only Shyam. He's doing his graduate study on economics among the APEC countries. He's probably the only person here whose view of the east is not biased by too much anime. Anime is NOT the definition of "Eastern," and too many people forget that.

Ashiakin
01-27-07, 07:42 PM
I'll just say that I think Madison has hit the nail on the head.

Reiko
01-27-07, 07:52 PM
Elrundir, for the record, when I said it was cliche anime crap, that was a joke. I guess I didn't make that plain enough. Oriental-inspired themes aren't necessarily cliche and aren't necessarily crap -- and they aren't necessarily even anime.

But I'd like to note that I said Oriental-INSPIRED. What I hear a lot of people arguing for is not a region inspired by oriental themes, but a region that tries to create an amalgam of eastern concepts without creating anything truly new. You like Shinto, so that goes in, but you only marginally understand the differences between the Mahayana, Theravadan, and Zen traditions of Buddhism, so you shunt those to the side. You like the idea of Samurai, but you fail to discern how the difference between Chinese and Japanese varieties, so your Samurai is just a flavorless, tasteless, distinctionless member of an equally generic Samurai order. The entire cultures of Vietnam and Cambodia and Laos are just ignored altogether, and don't get me started on Thailand.

Before anyone lobbying for an eastern-inspired region accuses Althanas and its administrators of Eurocentrism, read Edward Said's Orientalism. Although it's a dated study, it is as pertinent today as it ever was. Romanticizing and promoting myths of what the eastern cultures. The "Samurai" are not what you think they are. Nor are the religions.

When you ask for an Eastern-oriented continent, you make the fundamental error of assuming that the word "Eastern" actually means something. When you say something is "Western," you tend to understand that there are significant distinctions between Germany and France and America. But too many people tend to assume that "Eastern" is just an amalgam concept, and totally ignore the diversity that exists within eastern culture.

Then there's a question of continent writer. Personally, I'd vote Shyam, and only Shyam. He's doing his graduate study on economics among the APEC countries. He's probably the only person here whose view of the east is not biased by too much anime. Anime is NOT the definition of "Eastern," and too many people forget that.

Ok now you’re getting personal. To tell the truth I found that Althanas might be fine without an official oriental region, though I just think the staff should make it clear that oriental characters can be from the other regions. I’m fine with that and realize Ashikhan’s point is valid since because nihon was someone else’s idea. Though I want an original oriental land and not nihon part 2 really.

But Sighter, I can’t help but to say I’m truly angry that you attack me like that. I’m sorry you think my idea of samurai is generic. I don’t think anime is the end all be all of Asia or Japan. I just happen to like it, and I wouldn’t treat the region as some anime land. But it doesn’t matter but I do hate your attack on my character. It’s uncalled for, argue against the new region, but don’t say my idea of an oriental land is flawed. It’s not the place to bash my Rping.

I hope you're happy because you already proved my region idea wasn't going to work but that it's stupid and so is my RPing.

someone close this... there seems to be no more point than to rub my face in shit.

Ashiakin
01-27-07, 08:36 PM
Closed on request.

Edit: Sorry, I did not realize it had already been closed.

Ther
01-27-07, 08:54 PM

Regions aren't and weren't built on ethnic or racial themes, but rather on concepts, which may be European, African, Martian, or not tied to any any ethnicity at all. I should know - the concepts were mine, after all. That said, Althanas will always be hesistant in adding new regions based primarily on ethnic or racial concepts and won't support any sort of quota system - if we have to have an Asian-themed region, why shouldn't we have an African-themed region, an Anarctic-themed region, an Oceanic-themed region, etc?

Isn't this why we have an "Other Regions" forum? The original intent behind that forum was to give players an area they could use to develop their own regions and geographic locales without messing with our existing forum structure.

I'm also somewhat bewildered at this entire "Anime is cliche crap" vibe I've gotten - while I don't personally like the medium all that much, it's certainly capable of producing good stories. A skilled and well-read reader could certainly point out cliches or stale concepts on this site, although the original and great material is much more prevalent.

Oh, yes, and the term "Oriental" went out-of-favor 20 years ago - please stop using it, people. The Said book is an excellent read and I fully back Sighter's recommendation. Get with the times. ;)