PDA

View Full Version : Semper Fidelis - When the Sun Meets the Moon

Darkness Impulse
01-29-07, 04:52 PM
((This takes place after There's Always a Girl (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=4095)))

"Why do people rely on family so much? Family is a hollow word. It means nothing. It is a substitution for courage, a temporary escape from terror, a weight tied securely to your ankle, pulling you down to your knees every time you try and jump. It is Death in disguise.

Is there love between family relationships? Hell no. I know this personally, and nothing can make me think otherwise. But a better question is, is there love anywhere? Sometimes events force me to think this myself. Althanas is full of corruption, full of treachery and betrayal. Just when you think think that the person in your arms is there to stay, they stab you and run away. They don't stab you in the back, they stab you in the front, maybe even twice so you can watch as your life drains out slowly.

This is why I live in solitude... This is why I don't have any true family."

~ Lialmont Tempest

Darkness Impulse
01-31-07, 04:02 PM
Eluriand, a vast city spreading a distance that only the most athletic of people would want to walk, and Lialmont's home. He was born there, in a time that he couldn't remember, or that he chooses not to remember. Lialmont and Vanacrist were practically in the very center of the city, maybe a little east of it. The day was beautiful, the weather flawless. Light blue sky hovered unreachably over the Raiaeran elves of Eluriand, and a briskly breathing breeze waded through the colorful marble streets. Unlike most cities, where in the center urban areas there was usually an abundance of poverty, the center of Eluriand was probably the most beautiful and noblest place of all. Colorful brick buildings covered the area, and spattered around were lavish marble palaces, including the High Council building, which sat dead center. Richly garmented high elves loitered the bustling streets, running around doing whatever craft they specialized in. It was truly a city for beauty lovers, and as gloomy as the two dark dressed ninjas looked, being in a city full of lightly and colorfully dressed peoples, they were actually art and beauty lovers, you could even smell wealth there.

The couple was extremely happy to be back after so much time, especially right after being in the gloomy and cold Akashima for too long a time. They had decided to save some gold by stowing away on a commercial vessel headed for the Raiaera continent, and took a leisurely stroll to Eluriand from the eastern coast. It took a while, but they were able to survive, for they had lucked out and managed to find some country homes on the way where the lovely people living there gladly let them lounge for the night. Despite their sinister appearance, they apparently still had the powers of charm and persuasion. It took several nights of deep conversation for the two to get reacquainted, and Lialmont had become quite comfortable with Vana already, forgetting about his previous reluctance.

They don't know why they went to Eluriand, but they felt as if they were being called... Memories of Karasi'minn could not be so easily forgotten by Lialmont and Poalia. Though it wouldn't matter if they decided to seek them out or not, because chances are the elusive ninja of Karasi'minn would surely keep them from their base of operations. They knew that before they came, also knowing that there was nothing else for them there but spoiled memories, but they came anyway. Well, there was something... Someone... Else that Lialmont and Vana knew could be found somewhere in the city. But a task like that was near impossible, if it weren't for the help of what they happened to come across during their vacation to the beauty that is Raiaera, a certain night on the road when a passerby had slipped a piece of parchment in Vana's hand. A note that, after reading it over and over again, had become very important to Lialmont...

I know that you are here, though not why. If by chance there is no specific reason for your being here, I would request your arrival at the displayed inn below, at anytime, in room number seventeen. I hope that you don't keep me waiting too long.

~ Anonymously Familiar

The note sported a, surprisingly, nicely drawn map of inner Eluriand, with a bold arrow pointing at an establishment near the two ninja's current location. It wouldn't be long till they found it...

Darkness Impulse
02-25-07, 05:16 PM
"Alright, Mordoc... I'm gettin' tired of walking!" Complained Vana, Lialmont responded with a chuckle.

The two pulled up around a sharp corner, sliding around a stopped carriage. The street ahead wasn't that long, only a couple of multi-floored buildings lay on either side, one that stood out from the others. They must be in the Eluriand business district, because the carriage that the two had slipped passed was a merchant wagon, full of small trinkets and such. The street ahead was filled with other wagons and stands selling all manner of useless products, from food rations to a small dagger. Nothing big or serious. It smelt of commerce, and of sweat... Consumers crowded the street, sweating due to the heat probably. Lialmont pointed to the sore thumb of a building and said, "Don't worry, you won't have to walk much longer... I think that might be it."

"Are you sure?"

The ninja nodded, "Sure, it's the only tavern n' inn i've seen in this entire area, which happens to be the area marked on this map. If it's not, well, then I guess our search was in vain." Vanacrist smiled widely, happy to rest a little. Yes, she was a ninja, and yes they were only walking, but it was a pretty hot day and exhaustion seemed to easily find it's way into her body.

The inn that Lialmont pointed to was only about ten paces forward, and better than any they had been to in the past, better than any tavern in some humdrum town. It was easily three stories tall, the ground floor probably being some kind of tavern. He knew there was a tavern because of the boy standing outside the door screaming: "Come to the Malakins' Family Inn and Tavern, rest your body or harden your soul with ale!!" Tempest was surprised he could even hear the high-voiced boy with all the talking about. He couldn't see him, that was for sure!

Lialmont and Vanacrist pushed and shoved their way through the crowd a short distance until they reached the large iron studded wood door of the Malakins' Inn. They both politely nodded at the screaming boy, who was smiling at them. Chances were for every customer that went in he probably earned a nice gold piece or two. Lialmont reached for the large metal knob to open the door, and when he touched it it was surprisingly cold. Even through his glove, he could feel - sense, morelike - a sinister chill coursing through the steel doorknob.

Shaking his head of those feelings, he twisted it quickly, pushed it open and went in, with Vana closely following.

Darkness Impulse
02-26-07, 03:49 PM
As soon as the two ninja walked into the tavern and shut the large door, noise was killed, a fish out of water. It must've been a pretty thick door...

Both ninja's eyes squinted with burdening pain as their eyes adjusted to the dim lighting in the room. When it finally did, after a moment, the sight took their breath away. It wasn't like any other tavern they'd been to, no ruffians yelling and laughing in the corner, no brigand coming onto the barmaid or no bum screaming for more ale. It was arguably not even a tavern - not by Lialmont's standards, at least. It was quiet and pleasant, a small band quietly hummed on their flutes in a corner, giving the room a jovial feeling. Just one thing that he always liked about his half-kin: always so melodic and peaceful, at least when in their home place.

Tempest nodded to a couple elves chatting at the nearest oak table, hoping to show a non-hostile attitude. Reason being he could feel himself being watched, probably not directly, by most of the patrons. From the way they were dressed, probably. If they planned on staying for long they should've probably looked for an alternate outfit.

Vanacrist quietly nudged Mordoc from behind, "C'mon, we're here let's not waste any more time please." She whispered. Tempest nodded in response and walked forward, weaving through the tables that were spread around on the white marble floor. He saw the spiral flight of stairs in the far corner of the room, and that was where he wanted to go. He walked beside the bar counter, which headed straight for the steps. He could see the human bartender watching him intently, squeaking his rag on a mug, and when Lialmont and Vana nearly made it to the stairs they were stopped by his gruff voice.

"Plannin' on going somewheres, lad?" He asked roughly, with a peculiar accent. That of some kind of pirate, probably. The two ninjas turned to face him, and Lialmont returned with a smile.

Lialmont gestured towards the stairs with his hand; "We just want to meet someone."

"No one goes up there, 'less they be wantin' a room. Five gold pieces."

Lialmont kept the incredulous smile stamped to his face. He couldn't believe they were being hassled out of money just to meet someone who might even not be there. They were promised nothing, and apparently had to give something in return. He wasn't only thinking about that, but what else he might have to give up in the future. Who knew what was waiting for them in room seventeen? Lialmont shook his head and reached into his top, scraping out some gold to give to the man. He accidentally pulled out six pieces but tossed them all on the counter instead.

"Here, now i'm going up, if you don't mind." He said nicely, turning around and quickly heading up the stairs. Vana followed silently behind, brushing past one of many lit torches lined around the room.

When they got to the next floor the stairs spilled into a long hall lined with numbered doors on either side. He paid no heed to any other door but the one marked seventeen, which was near the end of the hall, by the next set of stairs leading up. Lialmont stopped Vana from just heading inside, holding her back gently while he lay his ear upon the wooden door. Who knows what was in there, chances were - after some thought was put into it - that this was just some kind of job offering. No doubt their outfits showed that they were some kind of merc. At least that's what it would look like to a commoner or passerby merchant.

Assuming that, Tempest took his head off the door and placed his hand on the knob. Again that cold feeling swept over him... There was no explanation to it; there's no way the metal of the doorknob was so cold... Again he shook it off and twisted, opening the wooden portal that wood lead to a potential and probable merc job...

But, it could always be more... Much more.