PDA

View Full Version : Thirty-Six Moons

Fenris
01-31-07, 08:24 PM
Hello, all. This is the intro or 'IC Context' for my battles in the Althanaversary Tournament. I plan for them all to string together into a large story, which will be much fun and develop my character significantly. Judging will have to be...quirky, but I'll work that out with the judges. (Also, the full introduction isn't quite completed, but more is coming soon.) Enjoy!

Tonight. It was tonight.

Fihrinn sat limply on the coarsely carved stool, his back hunched, his head hung as the ale and tobacco and brash laughter crashed around him in the tiny, backstreet tavern. Loosely-clad women flung themselves about between the foul-breathed, muck-robed drunks, laughing and shouting and squealing as they downed more rum.

But the wolf sat silent, staring blankly at the wooden mug on the table before him. There were no answers in it. No peace, no forgiveness. No forgetting.

It was tonight. Thirty-six moons, tonight.

One other person was silent in the bar. He’d been watching her for some time. She sat with her father beside one of the ale barrels, shying away from his breath every time he turned to her. She eyed the crowd uneasily—almost fearfully—with blazing green eyes, and gently wiped away the drops of rum that splashed on her young face from her father’s mug.

White hair…she had white hair…

A thrust hip caught the side of his table, sending the mug clattering across the room and its contents splattering around his paws. He turned a fierce gaze to the interrupter of his reverie—a raucous tavern wench whose low-necked blouse could scarcely contain her—but she spiraled away, shrieking and giggling with the balance of a two-legged cow.

Had his heart not been dying, he would have been angry.

“No!”

His stare snapped back to the girl. A bawdy young brute had grabbed her by the forearm and was trying to yank her to her feet as her father looked on, guffawing uproariously.

“Oi be’r no’ ‘ave gran’chilen, kid!” he slurred, barely managing to keep upright.

“N—no!” she shrieked as the youth finally jerked her from her roost and slung her over his shoulder, carrying her kicking and screaming toward the door into the alley. She screamed.

No one listened.

No.

The hired bouncer by the door laughed as the man hauled the girl through the doorway.

No!

Fihrinn stood up.

~\ | / ~

“No no! Please don't...” Her tears flowed freely as he threw her against the brick wall. She screamed, and he hit her across the face, and grabbed her tunic sleeve, and yanked—

“Don’t!” she shrieked, and sobbed, and he sneered, and tossed the strip away, and gripped her shoulders.

“C’mere, baby…” he breathed, and her nostrils filled with the stench of beer.

“Don’t…” she cried, and he smiled, and grabbed her other sleeve.

“I’m gonna take you like a—”

A roar.

She screamed at the mere sound of it, like some kind of mad beast but so close—

And then she knew she was going to die.

A monster struck the man from the side and he flew to the other side of the alley, and he hit the wall, but the thing was on him before he even hit the ground, and it was roaring and screaming and tearing—

And something warm splattered against her face and the thing tore and tore and tore, and she couldn’t even scream…
And then it looked up. Suddenly it caught her with eyes of ice, and its whole muzzle was slicked and red and its torso was covered with blood.

“Ainnir?” it said.

She fainted.

~ \ | / ~

No. No no no!

She slumped to the ground, and he leapt to catch her. His paws left red stains all over her chest…

He couldn’t…breathe…

His eyes stared wide, and he felt like he would retch as the scarlet flowed over her snow-white fur, and the blaze in her green eyes dimmed.

“A…Ainnir? Ainnir! Ainnir!”

He gripped the arrow in her chest and yanked, but it didn’t come out. He yanked again, and again—and then fell to sobs, and he couldn’t, couldn’t stop…

“AINNIR!”

“AINNIR!”

He howled, he screamed in his grief, but she did not rise. Could not rise. His arms shook—they shook so badly he could barely set her down on a soft pile of scraps from the tavern’s kitchen.
And then he ran.

~ \ | / ~

The moon shone silent, casting its half-closed eye over the inky bracken of Concordia. It never blinked, looked away, or made the slightest movement as it kept its solemn watch.

Two eyes like it shown beneath the leaves. They stared, half-closed, through the nightmare-black branches that even the stars failed to illuminate. They never blinked, or moved, or looked away, but pierced the night like grief through a soul.

It was thirty-six moons ago, tonight.

Fenris
02-12-07, 09:58 PM
And as that moon—that same, cursed, half-eye moon—stared blankly down over his calcified form, all he could see was her face…her flawless face, like clouds of silk, and almond eyes of deepest jade…

He dipped his muzzle into the glacial current of the stream. The waves shimmered and moved, flowed and changed, saturated with the silver-blue rays of the half-moon above. The stars sparkled and danced in the flow, and the whole night was full of silver and navy blue, and the deepest-green shadows of the pines.

His tongue lapped up draught after icy draught of the creek. The chill filled his stomach, and then his torso, and then his limbs and his entire body. Ranks of dark, sentinel firs watched him silently as he drank, and he watched back. The trees stood in a wide circle around the bend in the creek, like spectators around an arena, casting their starless umbrage over the rich, river-fed grass. Fihrinn stopped drinking and grinned.

"Sorry, friends. No spectacle here but me." He shrugged his shoulders, smiling shyly, and went back to drinking.

"Who are you talking to, Fihrinn?"

He jumped so badly he nearly fell into the stream, and Ainnir laughed helplessly.

"Ainnir! What are you doing out here?" he gasped.

She smiled and stepped closer. "That's not the real question, brother. Why are you out here?"

He glanced away toward the woods and then back at her. "I thought I'd go for a run."

That made her laugh. "Of course you did. The ten mile runs during the hunts aren't ever enough for you."

He chuckled. "Well, you know me."

She put a paw on his shoulder. "Yes. I do." She ran her fingers through the fir, against its grain, massaging the muscle. A low growl emanated from his throat—he loved it when she did that—and his tail slid back and forth through the grass, knocking against her heels. “But you know—you shouldn’t be out this far,” she said, “so close to the men village. What if they—”

“They never come hunting this late.” He caught the glint of the moonlight in her eyes—her radiant, emerald eyes. The cascade of the starlight over her doves-wing fur made her look like an angel. His guardian angel.

She’s only trying to protect you.

“They only come at dawn and dusk,” he reasoned, looking back into the pines. “The monsters don’t like the dark.”

“Well…still…” Her voice carried the soft whine of a plea. She sounded like snowfall when she was worried. She placed her free paw on his other shoulder, kneading them both as she stood behind him. “I wish you’d come back.”

He slid a boyish grin her way. “You know I won’t sleep until I’m exhausted. I can take care of myself—twenty miles, no more. I promise.” He dipped his fingers into the river current.

She sighed. “You and your—”

Fwip-thud.

He felt her stagger, felt her paws slip from his fur…

Fihrinn’s unblinking eyes clenched shut and his muzzle contorted, wracked with a sudden sob. He gasped, and slumped over into a cradle of moss and a fallen branch. His whole body convulsed, but all his tears had long been spent, so he shook, and shook, and ragged gasps came and came again.

He wanted to die.

It should have been me…why…why did you come for me, Ainnir…it was supposed to be me they took…by the goddess, if I could take it back…if I could trade my blood for yours…by the goddess, sister, you know I would in a second…by the goddess, come BACK!

He pounded the heather with his fists, again and again and again and again.

“Come back! Come BACK!”

But then his strength faded again, and he sank once more into shivering.

“Please…” he whispered. “Please, I would do anything…I would die a thousand deaths if you’d only let her live again…please!”

He lifted his gaze to the half-eye moon, staring with stony apathy over his pathetic frame. His own life wasn’t possibly worth the same as hers—he knew that. But he would give it countless times, despite the pain, despite the cost, to give her another chance. His life meant nothing to him. For back where the river bent beneath the silent pines and half-eye moon, he had stolen it from her.

He sat, curling his knees up to his nose, and wrapped his arms around his shins. Please, Ainnir. Know I would do it. Know I would do it in a moment, for you. I am worth nothing now. I shouldn’t have lived that night…and you shouldn’t have died…

A shadow departed into the forest, leaving behind only a broken tree branch and a bed of moss beneath the gaze of the half-eye moon.

((intro complete. story continued in Mage Hunter vs. Fenris (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=4300). ))