PDA

View Full Version : Mother, Hear My Voice [Closed to Reiko]

Karuka
02-05-07, 09:18 PM
I dinna think this is Scara Brae. In fact…I’m ay sure ‘tisnae. ‘Tis a much grander island, an’ I’ has mountains…an’ ‘tis colder…

Karuka Tida let out a sigh, shoving a honey-brown arm out of the protection of her thick woolen cloak and the canvas poncho she had on over it to tuck some of the dark-red hair behind her ears and adjust the hood of the cloak. She sighed, the warm air released from the pomegranate-red mouth clouding up as it rose, one little cloud heading up to join the bigger ones. The girl’s eyes, a magnificent blue with an almost white rim and a golden halo at the pupil, were almost a gray now, reflecting the color of the sky.

There was snow on the ground, and the scrawny girl trudging along the path was walking barefoot. The cloak/poncho combo she had on in a vain attempt to cling to some of her warmth stopped at least eight inches above the ground, revealing the tattered ends of what was once a too-long pair of pants. Truth be told, the lass had known this would be a problem as soon as she came to any mountains, even when she was still just on her way to India, but she hadn’t thought of that problem when she came to Althanas.

Not tha’ ‘tis a paradise here…I jus’ wish I coul’ still feel mi feet.

The anachronistic red-head let out another sigh, and just continued trudging. Her pendulum had stopped working as soon as she’d set foot onto this strange new island…it had been called "Corone" at the port…and she, both thinking that it was just the name of a city and not wishing to set foot onto another boat so soon, had started wandering to see if it had indeed been no accident that she’d arrived there, instead of back on Scara Brae.

Doubtless her friends Mime and Nic had already given her up for dead…but that’s what she got for wandering off at every little whim. If e’er I get back t’ them safe an’ soun’, I promise I’ll ne’er run off all alone again.

But what if they’d gone looking for her and ran into trouble themselves? Neither of them quite seemed the type to just notice that a friend had been gone a week too long and just shrug their shoulders and stop caring…what if, on her behalf, the only beings who had ever cared for her had come to harm? Karuka stopped in her tracks…if she found out they’d been harmed because of her, she’d never forgive herself.

Odin, All-Father, y’ see ev’rythin’…know ev’ryone…nothin’ is beyond yer scope. Please keep a watchful eye o’er all o’ mi frien’s, an’ see me back t’ ‘em, all in good health.

That little prayer didn’t seem quite sufficient to her, so she started another. Aum namah Shivaya, Sarvesam Svastir Bhavatu
Sarvesam Santir Bhavatu
Sarvesam Purnam Bhavatu
Sarvesam Mangalam Bhavatu

Not that she doubted the power of Odin to watch over her friends…but the extra layer of protection was always a good thing, was it not?

With another sigh, Karuka started walking again. Since leaving her friends from Scara Brae, she had run into a cat-girl, dog-man, and silver-haired dandy under a tree in a rain storm…the former two had been quite nice people, ones she’d like to meet again someday…but by the GODS, she could have strangled that so-called "prince." She’d gone on to save a straw-haired boy twice…he knew what Ireland was, unlike most of the population of Althanas, although he’d seemed to have funny ideas about it. But he was too helpless for her tastes…if a man couldn’t defend himself or keep his guard up, what was he worth? In her humble opinion…nothing, and the pendant had led her off and away from the tree they’d been tied to. Then, less than a week before landing on Corone, she had met a man on the road and taken up his mission for him…retrieval of a gem of some sort…and then she’d boarded (with all due reluctance) the next boat to Scara Brae. Well, either she’d been lied to and swindled, or she’d boarded the wrong boat.

Either way, here she was, stuck out in the snow. At first it had been hard. She’d been cold. But now she was used to it…it wasn’t really that cold at all, except that she couldn’t feel her feet at all anymore. They could be bleeding and she wouldn’t know.

I’ve seen grown men die o’ th’ cold…an’ I’ve less t’ run on than e’er they did. If I canna ay find a shelter out o’ th’ wind t’night, an’ wood fer a fire…an’ some wee animal t’ eat…I think ‘twillnae be anymore necessary t’ worry for mi frien’s…an’ more abou’ if I get recycled an’ reborn, or if I’m worthy o’ Valhalla.

But it was still too early to stop, and so the lanky figure in the gray cloak kept trudging along the mountain. White flakes began to fall softly, little dancers in the dim afternoon light. Eventually there would be no sign that the girl had ever walked this path.

Mathair…hear mi voice an’ watch o’er me.
TRANSLATIONS

>>I don’t think this is Scara Brae. In fact…I’m pretty sure it isn’t. It’s a much bigger island, and it has mountains…and it’s colder.<<

>>Not that it’s a paradise here…I just wish I could still feel my feet.<<

>>If every I get back to [my friends] safe and sound, I promise I’ll never run off on my own again.<<

>>Odin, All-Father who sees everything and knows everyone, nothing is beyond your power. Please keep a watchful eye over all of my friends and see me back to them with everyone in good health.<<

>>Aum I bow to Lord Shiva. May good befall all, May there be peace for all, May all be fit for perfection, and May all experience that which is auspicious.<<

>>I’ve seen grown men die of cold…and I’m not nearly as well built for it as they were. If I can’t find a shelter out of the wind tonight, as well as wind for a fire and some small animal to eat…I doubt I’ll need to worry about my friends anymore. Instead I’ll need to worry about if I’ll be reincarnated or if I’m worthy to enter Valhalla.<<

>>Mother…hear my voice and watch over me.<<Reiko and I have given each other permission to bunny characters throughout the thread, so it's all cool.

Reiko
02-05-07, 10:07 PM
“What a time to go running off!” Doji growled as she looked down to the child’s footprints in the cold mud. Ryo had run off to chase some rodent into the Shirayama Mountains away from home.

Doji had come to this place in Akashima to find a home when she had become pregnant again. The fox girl wanted a place to raise her children that would be safe and feel like home but Nihon had become anarchy and wouldn’t be safe, Salvar was even colder than this and if Ki lost her children there she’d find them on the auction block, Fallien wouldn’t except the Ki or her children for being different and the same could be said for the elfin nations.

Nope Akashima was best and not only that but there was also Gingitsu the silver fox who would help Ki out on rare occasion, thanks to him she learned the ancient kitsune art of making a home where the foxes illusions were real and permanent. It was perfect for the ronin girl who had no home for so long.

But now Ryo had run off into the mountains where he’d either freeze to death or be eaten by mountain dogs. Still Doji was quicker than her child and she was sure she would find her son. “Chiyo, you’re coming too, grab a heavy kimono. I’m not losing you both.” Doji tried to hide her ire but the edge in her voice made the little fox child afraid to speak until she had her coat and was following her mother.

But Chiyo wasn’t keeping up very well. “Mommy, you’re going to fast!” Chiyo whined as she panted and half ran half walked to keep up with the nine tails strides.

Ki looked back and cause Chiyo to whimper in apology. “It’s alright, I’ll carry you.” Ki said while warming up from the walk, her anger cooling down. “I just wish you would have told me sooner.”

“But brother said he would share the treasure he found and also said it would make me a tattle tail if I told.”

Ki giggled and picked up her child. “No you’re not a tattle tail, mommy needs to know this kind of stuff. Ryo has to be more careful about running off.”

“Um ok.”

The ronin fox carried her daughter trough the mountains and following Ryo’s tracks, it was a dreadful day to do this, the gray clouds threatened snow soon and then it’d be a matter of time before they’d have to get back to the den.

Then Ki saw something, her nose smelled Ryo, not sure his mood though since the cold hampered Ki’s nose. Someone else was with him, a figure in rags that was holding her child. The vixen put down her kit and went forward while drawing the Onitachi and sending the sword to a threatening position near the mysterious figure. “What do you think you’re doing with my son?” Doji asked with almost a growl while Chiyo ran behind the dangerous nine tails and peeked out from the writhing fur covered limbs.

Karuka
02-06-07, 08:41 PM
Bunnying permitted
The snowfall had lightened a bit as she’d climbed higher, but the chill grew ever deeper…at least the wind wasn’t so harsh, though…the forest was a little thicker here. But with thicker forest meant a higher ratio of predators to prey – and prey included humans.

She sometimes thought she could hear their steps, the light tread of a professional predator, but all she could do was let herself be stalked, and eventually the pursuit stopped.

I s’pose ‘tis because I dinna look scrawny like I am wrapped in this cloak an’ canvas.

It was mid afternoon, and the silvery sky had followed her up…it would snow tonight…it would snow terribly hard, and Karuka didn’t know what she’d do for shelter or even if she’d be able to get enough kindling for a fire to last her through the long night.

For the first time since she’d lost her mother, Karuka looked up at the sky and railed against her gods.

"Ha’ y’ ay brough’ me this far jus’ t’ play games wi’ me an’ watch me die here, cold an’ alone in a place that’d delight Hel an’ make mad Madb dance wi’ glee? Is th’ wee life I ha’ nay good enou’ t’ hold ont’? Didja bring t’gether mi athair an’ mi mathair jus’ fer yer ain amusement, t’ make a pawn out o’ their daughter an’ laugh a’ her misfortunes? I dinna ay appreciate tha’, an’…an’ I swear, I will defy y’ in this, if ‘tis yer will t’ see me die here! D’y’ hear me, all o’ y’? I’ll nae see th’ Crone write me out o’ mi ain life in this freezin’ Hel!"

Her rant done, Karuka slumped and sighed, continuing her way up the mountain. How she was going to survive so much as the night was beyond her, she had so little left…so little to live for, to die for…and what, if anything, to try for? Did she have a reason to persevere? Or should she just resign herself to her death and let the world peacefully go about its business?

They’d ay forget…all o’ ‘em. An’ in th’ end…I willnae ha’ mattered anythin’ t’ anyone.

That thought didn’t help an already depressed mind, and Karuka set her satchel down on the ground before sitting at the base of a tree. I’m ay half-starved, an’ if I dinna rest a wee bit I’ll nae be good fer anythin’ come t’night.

She sighed again and looked through the branches of the trees and needles of the evergreens toward the silvery sky, which was darkening moment by moment, heavy with snow.

It’d ay be much warmer in th’ snow, I think. So big an’ fluffy, like those pretty furs th’ warriors wore off t’ battle. She giggled at the thought, before picking herself and her bag up. Yer goin’ mad, Karuka.

A rat scampered across her vision in a panic, and the Irish lass turned her head to see what was pursuing it. It seemed to be a young boy…fox. Karuka watched him for a minute, and when he entered her area she called for him to stop. The young one did, standing up, ears erect and tails bristling fiercely.

"Y’ dinna ay b’long ou’ here in’ th’ cold, wee one. Y’ dinna ay e’en ha’ on a proper coat, an’ ‘tis t’ snow soon. Y’ need t’ go back t’ yer mathair. If yer los’…"

The boy snarled. "I’m NOT lost, and I’m NOT going home. I can take care of myself."

Karuka almost sighed. As if I dinna hear enou’ o’ this from Artan a’ home. Well…one way t’ handle i’, I s’pose.

The red-head took a purposeful step toward the kit, who started dashing off again. Not about to let a young child get away and head straight to its doom (as would likely happen), Karuka took a running step on unfeeling feet, before launching herself into a tumble, catching the child in her arms and landing on her shoulder, winding up in a seated position, mildly dirtier, but with the scruffy child unharmed. They glared at each other for a moment, Karuka because this obstinate child was probably going to wind up being the death of her, and Ryo because this strange woman had stopped him from doing what he wanted to do. Slowly and still keeping her grip on the fox child, Karuka stood up and addressed the flailing child.

"All righ’. Let’s start this again. I’m Karuka. Who’re y’?"

"LEMME GO, UGLY LADY!"

"While I ay appreciate yer sentiments toward how I look, I canna do whatcha ask. Now, yer slender bu’ nay starvin’, an’ in good health. A wee child on his own couldna pull tha’ off, so y’ ha’ a mathair or an athair somewhere nearby, an’ y’ve ay run off from them, ha’ y’ nae?"

Still the fox-boy continued thrashing about, and Karuka caught a few claws across her face. Normally, she’d lose her patience at this, but she was too cold to care, even as he continued yelling for her to let him go.

"I canna letcha go. I bet yer mathair is worried sick o’er y’, an’ ‘twould be righ’ cruel o’ me t’ nae take y’ back t’ her. Besides…an’ y’ lis’en here, wee one…I SAI’ LIS’EN!"

At the harsh tone of voice from the older girl, the fox-boy sat still, ears tilted back in something resembling fear.

"Y’ve nae been ou’ long, bu’ yer a’ready col’, an’ if y’ dinna let me take y’ home, y’ll freeze t’ death t’night, if somethin’ else dinna ay get y’ firs’. An’ then yer mathair will be very sad. Y’ dinna wish t’ make yer mathair sad, d’y’?"

The fox boy looked down, ears drooping. He hadn’t thought about any of that. "Would she cry?" he asked the blue-eyed red-head, who nodded somberly.

"Ay, laddie. She’d cry so many tears there’d be no number high enou’ t’ count ‘em. Now…will y’ let me take y’ home?"

He nodded, still looking down.

"There’s a good lad. What’s yer name?"

"Ryo."

"All righ’, ‘Ryo…" The soft and deadly sheen of steel on air interrupted Karuka’s next statement, and she turned to find herself nose-to-point with a sword. For a moment she froze up, remembering other such instances.

Nae, Calhoun, ‘twas nae…!

But then the woman behind the sword spoke up, and while not a friendly tone, it couldn’t have been a more relieving sentence.

"Ah, th’ wee one’s yours?" She looked from the fox-woman to the fox-boy. "Ay, he looks i’. He’s a fas’ wee devil, but an ay’ good lad."

She set the boy gently down and gave him a gentle nudge, and he joined his sister behind his mother’s tails. Despite having decided to go home, he glared at Chiyo. "Tattle tail," he hissed at her.

Meanwhile, Karuka stepped back, raising her hands to show she was unarmed. "I dinna mean th’ lad any harm, an’ I’m sorry if y’ thou’ I did. I’m righ’ glad y’ foun’ him so fas’, an’ tha’ he’ll be ay safe. If y’ll jus’ let me go, I’ll be off an’ on my way…’twill snow soon, an’ I need t’ make a fire."

Karuka’s blue eyes regarded the collected fox-woman from under her disarrayed mop of hair, just hoping that this scene would either just end or that she’d not be believed, and have a quick end put to her, instead of freezing to death out in the cold.

TRANSLATIONS

>>I guess it’s because I don’t look as scrawny as I am while wrapped in this cloak and canvas.<<

"Have you brought me this far just to play games with me and watch me die here, cold and alone in a place that’d delight Hel and make mad Madb dance with glee? Is the life I have, insignificant as it is, not good enough to hold onto? Did you bring my father and mother together just for your own amusement, to make a pawn out of their daughter and laugh at her misfortunes? I don’t appreciate that! And…and I SWEAR, I will defy you in this, if it’s your will to see me die here! Do you hear me, all of you? I won’t let the Crone write me out of my own life in this freezing HELL!"
***NOTE: The Nordic version of Hell is a frozen wasteland.

>>They would definitely forget…all of them. And in the end…I won’t have mattered anything to anybody.<<

>>It’d be so much warmer in the snow, I think. So big and fluffy, like those pretty furs the warriors wore off to battle. You’re going mad, Karuka.<<

"You don’t belong out here in the cold, kid. You don’t even have on a proper coat, and it’s going to snow soon. You need to go back to your mother. If you’re lost…"

>>As if I didn’t hear enough of this from Artan back at home. Oh well…only one way to deal with it, I guess.<<

"Okay, let’s do this over. I’m Karuka. Who are you?"

"While I appreciate your sentiments toward how I look, I can’t do that. Now, you’re slender, but not starving, and in good health. A little kid on his own couldn’t pull that off, so you have to have a mom or dad somewhere nearby, and you’ve run off from them, haven’t you?"

"I can’t let you go. I bet your mom’s worried sick about you, and it’d be very cruel of me to not take you back to her. Besides…and you listen here, child…I SAID LISTEN!"

"You haven't been outside long, but you're already cold, and if you don't let me take you home, you'll freeze to death tonight, if something else doesn't get you first. And then your mother will be very sad. You don't want to make your mom sad, do you?"

"Yes, child. She'd cry so many tears there wouldn't be a high enough number to count them all. Now...will you let me take you home?"

"There's a good boy. What's your name?"

""All right, Ryo..."

No, Calhoun, it wasn't...!

"Oh, the boy is yours? Yes, he looks it. He's a fast little devil, but a very good kid."

"I didn't mean the boy any harm, and I'm sorry if you thought I did. I'm glad you found him so fast, and that he'll be safe. If you'll just let me go, I'll be off and on my way...it's going to snow soon, and I need to make a fire."

Reiko
02-09-07, 10:22 AM
Ki’s cheeks started to take on a reddish hue. Always so quick to pull out the sword. Ki chided herself for threatening the girl holding her child. She did talk really funny and Doji had a bit of trouble understanding the girl, but the strange girl meant no harm and the nine tails was really sure. Ki lowered her blade and put the dangerous thing away. “I’m sorry about that. I thought you might be a goblin trying to eat him or something. Couldn’t tell with the rags covering your face.” Good one Reiko, first you threaten her with a sword and now your comparing her to a goblin. That’s real nice.

“I’m Not a Tattle Tail! Mommy said I need to tell her when you cause trouble.” Chiyo yelled back at Ryo’s accusation as she continued to hug a few of her mother’s tails.

“That’s what Tattle Tails do!” Ryo Retorted while thrashing his own tail back and forth.

Ki twitched her tails with ire and caused Chiyo to sneeze since a few tickled her nose. “Stop it you two! She probably thinks we’re a bunch of animals.” Then she turned to the girl and smiled in apology. “I’m really sorry for the rudeness.” She heard the girl talk about going back into the cold wilderness, the forest would be warmer than the rest of the mountains but not much and the girl would freeze wither way. “Um how about you come with us. I have a den nearby and it’ll be warmer than out here. Thank you for watching Ryo for me.” Ki stopped and realized that being a hostess that the guest needed to know her name. “I’m Doji Ki and the Girl’s my daughter Chiyo and the Boy’s my son Ryo.” The vixen bowed and looked to the side to make sure her children did the same, but she had to gently push them with her tails as a reminder. “So follow me, and we’ll get out of the cold have some hot tea and maybe a hot bath.” Ki led the way as the twins followed.

Chiyo stayed near Ki while looking occasionally at Karuka. “Um Mommy, how come she’s out in the cold? Doesn’t she have a home?” The little vixen child asked her mother and Ki looked down. “Well if she does, she probably won’t make it before it snows or gets cold. Anyways it’ll be fun to have someone else around the house.”

Doji was rather glad she had found Ryo before going to far, she could see her Den, a bright wooden house in the style of the Akashiman houses she had seen around here, they looked enough like Nihon houses that the nine tails truly felt at home in the little ornate house that was painted red with a curved roof.

Once Doji got to the house she slid open the door, the place was pretty modest with a thatched floor and a table that was low to the ground with no chairs. Ki could’ve had a grander home with her fox magic but the vixen liked things simple and the only extravagant thing was the garden with a hot spring that Ki had for hot baths in a pleasant setting, like the one in Narkash where she had conceived her Children.

“Make yourself at home. I know it’s not much but it’s better than out there and I’ll get the tea brewing.” Doji ran into the kitchen and started to boil some water.

Chiyo ran threw the door and pounced on her toy cat while calling out ”Neko!” It was her favorite toy and she would take it everywhere if she could, but it was a product of fox magic and couldn’t leave.

Ryo of coarse was a little jealous, though he refused to have a toy like that since it wasn’t very masculine. Still he would make up for the lack by pouncing on his sis to try and take away the stuffed cat, wrestling with the little white haired fox girl who puffed up her tails.

“You stay away from her!” Chiyo cried out as Ryo giggled. “Get off!”

Ki shook her head and continued to make her tea, fox children were so rough sometimes and it seemed like a fact. “Sorry about that! We’re not very used to having guests.” Ki figured she would be apologizing a lot.

Karuka
02-12-07, 11:13 PM
Karuka's stance relaxed as Doji Ki lowered and sheathed her sword. As she offered her apologies, the red-head grinned, and when the fox-woman admitted she'd mistaken the ragged human for a goblin, she laughed airily, then listened as introductions were made.

"Well, I s'pose I do look a wee bit o' a mess," she admitted, returning the bow somewhat clumsily. "'Tis somethin' o' a long road I've walked. I'm Karuka, 'Ryo an' I a'ready met an' made frien's, an' 'tis ay good t' meetcha, Doji Ki an' Ch'yo."

When she was invited to the kitsune's house, Karuka accepted -- "If 'twill be nae too much o' an imp'sition" -- but before the sentence was all the way out, the woman with -- so many -- tails had turned to lead them off. It took a lot of willpower for Kaurka to curb her talkative tendencies during the walk, but when Chioy asked her mother why this strange new person was wandering out in the cold, and if she had a home, Karuka grinned and picked the girl up, carrying the fox-girl on her own slender shoulders.

"Nae, I dinna ha' a home, nor a m*thair or an athair t' make sure I do na do foolish things like walk alone in th' mountains. Yer lucky, y' an' yer br*thair, t' ha a m*thair t' come an' catch y' when y' run off."

That said, they got into the house, and Karuka listened to her hostess describe her house as "not much" (to which the response was "'tis ay lovely"), and then talk on about going to make the tea before she disappeared into the kitchen.

A cup o' tea does soun' quite lovely, thought Karuka as she slipped out of her canvas poncho and woolen cloak. She folded them up and put them into her leather satchel, setting it by the door. An' I canna deny t' much be in need o' th' bath she mentioned earlier. Karuka sighed, glancing down at her battered feet and flexing them, trying to coax some feeling back in.

She grinned as Chiyo picked up her favorite toy, and wider as Ryo started antagonizing his sister. 'Tis ay a home in here.

It was all she could do to not let ou another merry laugh as Doji scolded her children and then apologized to her guest.

"Oh, dinna ap'logize fer them. Children will ay be cihldren, an' nae wee grown-ups. 'Tis righ', an' all righ'."

Having established her position on child mentality, Karuka grabbed both children, lifted them up, spun them around, and then fell down on her back. Seeing their flabbergasted expressions, the lass had to laugh.

"Now, really, 'Ryo, d' y' wan' th' toy, o' yer piuthar?"

The kit's tails puffed up like his sister's had a moment before. "Of course not! ...what's a piuthar?"

Karuka giggled...of course the wee ones didn't speak Gaelic...and it was likely a wonder they could understand the first word out of her mouth.

"Wha' is th' word fer i' in Anglish is the' better q'estion. I think th' word is 'sister,' but I dinna know fer sure. I've only ha' t' speak naught bu' Anglish a few weeks, tho' I've known th' language from th' time I was jus' a wee gil. An'," she continued, sitting up and making the kits tumble back and onto the floor, "why snatch th' toy if y' dinna wan' i'?"

"Because it's fun to pick on Chiyo," stated Ryo, sitting up and puffing out his chest.

"Ah...bu' y' mus' respec' each other's b'longin's, or..." Karuka shook her head somberly, making the dark red curls sway ominously.

"Or what?" asked Chiyo, her curiosity piqued.

"Well, y' dinna wish t' go th' way o' th' prince an' princess o' Tatha, d' y'?" Karuka raised her eyebrows and looked at the kits sternly.

"What happened to them?" The girl asked, swiping for the doll again -- her brother held it away and above his head, and Karuka leaned forward slightly, starting to speak again.

"Well, 'twas like this. A verra long time ago, in a lan' far far away...in a whole diff'rent world..." she stopped here, twisting her mouth and wrinkling her nose as though reconsidering telling the story at all.

"What?!" chorused the twins.

"I..." Karuka breathed out through her teeth. "Nae, I canna tell y'. Nae if yer m*thair dinna allow i'. 'Tis a wee bi' scary, an' nae a tale fer th' faint o' heart."

TRANSLATORIALISM

"Well, I suppose I do look something of a mess. It's something of a long road I've walked. I'm Karuka, Ryo and I are already friends, and it's very nice to meet you, Doji Ki and Chiyo."

"If it won't be too much of an imposition"

"No, I don't have a home, nor [do I have] a mother or father to make sure I don't do foolish things like walk alone in the mountains. You're lucky, you and your brother, to have a mother to come and catch you when you run off."

>>A cup of tea does sound quite lovely. And I can't deny that I really do need a bath.<<

>>It's very much a home in here.<<

"Oh, don't apologize for them. Children will be children, and not little adults. It's right, and it's all right."

"Now, really, Ryo, do you want your piuthar's toy?"

"What's the word for it in ENGLISH is the better question. I think the word is 'sister,' but I don't know. I've only had to speak nothing but English for a few weeks, though I've known the language from the time I was a little girl. And why snatch the toy if you don't really want it?"

"Ah...but you must respect each other's things, or..."

"Well, you don't want to end up like the prince and princess of Tatha, do you?"

"Well, it was like this. A long time ago, in a very far away land...on an entirely different world..."

"No...I can't tell you. Not if your mother doesn't allow it. It's kind of a scary tale, and not for the faint of heart."

Reiko
02-13-07, 09:49 PM
“First time I have a guest and they get all the fun without me.” Ki complained as she gathered some tea spices and mixed them together. Green tea leaves were the most needed and she then grabbed some random spices, hoping luck would give her a good tea while she rushed to get the cups ready and then the pot. Once She wrapped the tea in a bag and placed it in the hot water then took out four cups and balanced in one hand and the pot held in the other.

When the nine tails came out, she saw the scene was rather quiet as the kits were transfixed on Karuka. Well one thing was wrong with the scene as Ryo was holding Neko and Doji knew that it was Chiyo’s and that Ryo took that from his sis. “I know we’re foxes but we have a guest, so we shouldn’t act like thieves.” Ki scowled at her son as she placed the tea set down and then made a deft movement to take the toy cat away from the small tod and return it to her vixen child. “If you want a toy I can get you one.”

“But it’s fun to take it from her!”

“That’s no reason.” Ki had interrupted the mood that Karuka had set but she needed to lay down the law with Ryo, he was being extra naughty today and Doji didn’t want the boy to take out frustrations on his sister. Chiyo smiled and swished her tail when Ki gave back the toy.

“Thanks Mommy!” Chiyo cheered as she hugged the kitty and Doji returned the smile to her daughter and then smiled to Karuka.

“So you aid something about a story. Oh please, tell us!” Doji swished her tail as she sat down. “I haven’t heard a story in so long.” The vixen really was right in that she hadn’t heard a story, she read some samurai tales but hadn’t heard one told, only the memories of Kadenzaa’s father telling stories of brave samurai, foul Oni and clever women.

Karuka
02-14-07, 10:24 PM
A NOTE ON FORMAT

This is a fairly long little story. I don’t want to write it and then translate ALL of it. So instead, I will put the story in italics, the interruptions regular, and translate the interruptions immediately after they occur. Bunnies approved.

As soon as Doji had laid down the law with her wee ones and requested the story, the two kits sitting by Karuka’s legs looked back up at the red-head expectantly. Taking this as her cue, Karuka bounced up so she could crouch down, putting her weight on the balls of her feet and look at the kits from just a little bit of height above them.

“All righ’. Now, this is a wee tale abou’ why wee chil'ren shouldnae be mean t' each other an' frustrate their m*thair."
This is a story about why children shouldn't be mean to each other and frustrate their mom

The land of Tatha was a lot different than Corone, as instead of being an island surrounded by a lake or ocean, it was a lake surrounded by hills. Right at the top of the tallest hill there was a HUUUUUUUGE castle. In the castle lived the queen Doji Ki, the young prince Ryo, and the young princess Chiyo. Now, the prince and princess, while not bad children in the fact that they didn't mean to be bad, were quite mischievous and had a grand time running their mother all around the castle until she was exhausted.

One day, the queen got frustrated and shouted out, I wish something would come turn you into stone!. This didn't much bother the children, for they were far too busy chasing each other around and making a mess. So they look at their mother and say "rah bah bah," which is not a very nice thing to say to one's mother at all.

"So then, ou' o' NOWHERE, there pops up this skinny wee man," said Karuka, guesturing to herself. "An' he come up t' th' queen," she scuttled toward Ki sideways, keeping her crouched position, and looked up at the kitsune swordswoman, wobbling her head around, before she glanced back at the children for a bit and adopted a creaky voice.
Then, out of NOWHERE, there pops up a skinny little man, and he comes up to the queen.

"I'll take care of your children for a while, Your Majesty," he says to her. Now, normally, the queen wouldn't have done something like this, but she was so tired and frustrated, if the little man wanted to deal with her children, never mind how he got in, she was going to go take a nap. And so she did.

"Now, wha' th' chil'ren dinna know, an' wha' th' queen ha' ay fergo', was tha' when th' queen were a maid, ay only a few days afore she married th' king -- he's nae a' th' castle. He's off fightin' wi' th' king o' Laomainn. Bu' th' few days afore she go' married, she'd ay foun' a luchorpán an' his treasure. 'Twas ay' th' gran'est treasure in all th' worl', bu' he ha' t' either give her hal' o' i', or he ha' t' do somethin' fer her. Tha's th' way th' agreemen' wi' people an luchorpáns work. They ha' their world, we ha' ours, an' ne'er th' twain shall meet. So when they're ay caug' on our side, they ha' t' pay th' fee. So, instead o' havin' t' give up his treasure, th' luchorpán agreed t' give th' queen trì wishes. Now, th' queen ha' ay wished for dh* nice an' sensible things...a strong son tha' woul' ay grow up t' be th' bes' king e'er seen, an' a willful daugh'er whose beauty woul' make th' moon issel' tremble wi' envy. An' as soon as th' queen is gone, th' luchorpán turned t' th' wee prince an' princess."

Karuka scuttled around to the twins, circling them.

Now, what the children didn't know, and what the queen had forgotten, was that when the queen was a maiden -- a few days before she married the king, in fact -- he isn't at the castle. He's off fighting the king of Laomainn. But a few days before she got married, she found a leprechaun with his treasure. It was the best treasure in all the world, but he had to either give her half of it, or he had to do something for her. That's the way the agreement between people and leprechauns work. They have their world, we have ours, and never the twain shall meet. So when they get caught on the people side, they have to pay a fee. So, instead of having to give up his treasure, the leprechaun agreed to give the queen three wishes. Now, the queen had already wished for two nice and sensible things. She'd wished for a son that would grow up to be the best king ever, and a daughter whose beauty would make the moon itself TREMBLE with envy. And as soon as the queen left, the leprechaun turned to the young prince and princess.

"Oh, how I wish she'd wished you were eaten," he said, licking his chops. "It's been so long since we've had children to eat...a nice princess stew," he trilled, poking the princess in the ribs, getting an eek out of her. Or a succulent roast prince!"

He panted some, thinking about all the delicious possibilities, and didn't speak again for a minute.

"But no...she wished that you were turned into stone. So that's what I'll do to you."

"Now," said Karuka, "o' course when th' queen foun' ou' tha' her wee ones ha' been turned int' stone, she were ay sorry, an' wan'ed a way t' get 'em back, so she sen' ou' a call fer brave warriors an' powerful mages...bu' I'm ay tired an' tha's another story altogether."

The ragged red-head sat down with a thunk, seemingly oblivious to the disappointed looks from the two kits when the story ended abruptly and without a real finish.

Of course when the queen found out that her children had been turned into stone, she was very sorry, and wanted a way to get them back, so she sent out a call for brave warriors and powerful mages...but I'm very tired and that's another story altogether.

More story to come, with more action and awesomeness!

Reiko
02-15-07, 10:39 PM
Ki smiled through the story, mostly in how the girl had kept her children interested in the story. The nine tails held a giggle as the guest named all the characters after the family of foxes. The girl had a flair that would shame Ki’s attempts at storytelling, though many of the stories that the nine tails knew needed censoring since samurai stories were violent and scary.

This was a cute fairy tail with a moral and the kits loved the change of pace and the way that Karuka told the story. Chiyo clutched Neko for comfort as the human impersonated the Leprechaun so well. Ryo held his tail tightly as he tried to hide the fact that he was a little afraid at the moment.

But then the story ended on a cliffhanger and the two little foxes called out in unison: “Please go on!” the twins pleaded with Karuka but got answered with Ki ruffling their hair.

“Be patient you two, she’s tired from being out in the cold for a long time, probably just wants a bath and nap.” Ki giggled as she poured some tea into all the cups. “But tea first, that’ll warm you up and give some energy, I’m sure of it.” The vixen took a sip from her glass and nudged the kits that followed their mother’s example; the tea would be good for them. “I’m really liking the story, I wonder if the kids will turn back from stone, they don’t seem like that bad of children.” The vixen winked and relaxed again.

Karuka
02-15-07, 11:40 PM
"A bath an' a nap soun' like a trip through Valhalla a'ter trudgin' through th' col' an' snow."

Karuka sighed. It had been a very long haul, and she'd likely be dying right about now if she hadn't been invited in. If the cost of a hot bath and a warm place to sleep was a few fairy tales, she would be more than happy to supply.

The redhead took a sip of the tea...it was warm and tasted of so many things, foreign and familiar. The heat from the liquid seemed to wash through her as she drank it, and she cradled the cup in her hands and smiled at her hostess.

"Thank y' fer invitin' me in ou' o' th' col'. I hones'ly dinna know where I'd be now if y' hadna..."

She then turned her morbid expression into a firey grin as Doji mentioned the possible fate of her children.

"Well, th' queen sen' ou' all o'er th' lan' fer th' bigges', stronges', mos' VALIANT knight, an' his name were...wha' were his name, 'Ryo?"

The kit thought for a little while, sipping at his tea. "Kengo," was his final response.

"Th' name o' th' warrior, bes' in th' lan' -- nae, bes' in th' WHOLE WORL', were Kengo. An' the extra-special color o' his armor were...?"

"Pink!" shouted Chiyo.

Ryo glared at his sister. "BLUE." he stated emphatically.

"'Twere blue, wi' parts stained pink wi' th' blood o' his enemies. A' a single swoop o' his sword, entire fores's coul' ay be leveled, an' there hadna been a dragon in years. An' th' mos' powerful mage in th' lan'...nae, th' WORL', her name were...?"

Here Karuka nudged Chiyo, who had her name ready to go. "Tsukai!"

"Zookai, an' she ha' robes th' color o'...?"

"Green," chirpped the female kitsune.

"Zookai ha' robes th' color o' th' trees in springtime, an' such were her power tha' she coul' ay heal th' sick, so tha' if they were jus' th' slightes' bi' away from death she coul' save 'em, bu' if she decided t' use her powers t' figh', th' BIGGES' an' STRONGES' castles woul' tumble, an' th' very heavens woul' do wha' she sai' t' them do. An' so, y' see, wi' Kengo an' Zookai comin' t' help her, th' queen were in verra goo' han's, an as soon as they arrived, she showed them th' wee prince an' princess, turned t' stone as they were."

Karuka finished her tea after that and set the cup on the table.

"An' a hot bath ay soun's nice righ' abou' now, a'ter a good story an' a nice cup o' chai -- Chai is th' hindi word fer tea, an' mi athair tol' me tha' when I were a wee lass...e'en younger than th' dha o' y'," she told the kits.

Translations

"A hot bath and a nap sound like Heaven after walking through all that cold and snow."

"Thank you for inviting me in out of the cold. I honestly don't know where I'd be now if you hadn't..."

"Well, the queen sent out all over the land for the biggest, strongest, most VALIANT knight, and his name was...what was his name, Ryo?"

"The name of the warrior, best in the land -- no, best in the WHOLE WORLD, was Kengo. And the extra-special color of his armor was...?"

"Blue, with parts stained pink with the blood of his enemies. At a single swoop of his sword, entire forests could ay be leveled, and there hadn't been a dragon in years. And the most' powerful mage in the land...no, the WORLD, her name was...?"

"Zookai, and she had robes the color of...?"

"Zookai had robes the color of the trees in springtime, and such was her power that she could easily heal the sick, so that if they were just the slightest bit away from death she could save them, but if she decided to use her powers to fight, the BIGGEST and STRONGEST castles would tumble, and the very heavens would do what she said to them do. And so, you see, with Kengo and Zookai coming to help her, the queen was in very good hands, and as soon as they arrived, she showed them the wee prince and princess, turned to stone as they were."

"And a hot bath sounds quite nice right about now, after a good story and a nice cup of chai -- Chai is the Hindi word for tea, and my father told me that when I was a little girl...even younger than the two of you."

Reiko
02-16-07, 09:59 PM
“Aww, come on, you can’t be that tired.” Ryo complained as he heard the story die again and Chiyo continued on the same path by going, “Please Karuka, finish the story it’s still day.”

Ki giggled at her children and stood up while stretching. “The story won’t be as good if she tells it tired and anyways it’s bath time. Karaka’s not the only one needing a bath, you two are a mess.”

Chiyo looked down her kimono then claimed, “I’m not a mess.”

And Ryo continued with a “Nor am I!”

But Ki shook her heard. “We’re all a mess, I know I’m sweaty from looking for you, Ryo and I know you’re muddy from running away. And the sooner Karuka take her bath and has a nice nap then the sooner we can hear the story.” The vixen got up and stretched as she moved and picked up both her kits and walked towards the far door and bid Karuka to follow.

Doji liked this place the best of her home, the garden and the hot spring, filled with plants that normally wouldn’t grow this high up in Akashima. Feathery leaves and striking crimson flowers colored the places around a steaming pool. “We take our baths together since I have to wash them anyways and I need help with my tails. I hope you don’t mind.” Doji said to her guest as she undressed the twins, who protested slightly but not enough to impede Ki’s nimble hands before she placed them in the pool then went about removing her own kimono as the twins splashed about with playful giggles.

Chiyo yelped as Ki entered the spring and Doji knew that Ryo yanked her tail. “Hey leave your sis alone, Splashing’s ok but don’t hurt each other or I will be angry.” She then turned to Karuka as the girl was readying herself to join the fox family.

Ki felt rather rude to watch like this but Karuka’s body was a matter of concern to the vixen mom. The human girl was dreadfully thin; Ki could see the ribs and Doji knew the extent that this girl had suffered to hunger.

Well she won’t go hungry here. Doji promised her self then decided to join the children in playing, helping Chiyo fend off her brother’s splashing. “You’re outnumbered Ryo!” Doji giggled with her daughter as they splashed at the fox boy and Ki moved and picked up her son and fell backwards into the hot water.

Karuka
02-16-07, 10:24 PM
Karuka felt a little bit self-conscious, undressing like this, but it was another woman and children, and Karuka had bathed often with children or another woman of the Clann before she'd had to leave it. She undressed and felt the vixen's watchful eyes on her shamefully thin figure.

I mus' look ay a ragged mess.

As she finished undressing and letting her hair down, she watched as Ki and Chiyo ganged up on the little scruffy male she'd tumbled into barely an hour ago.

"Well, 'is ain piuthar an' mathair again' him is hardly a fair figh', e'en if he IS th' stronges' fighter in th' whole worl'!" exclaimed the red-head, running into the pool herself.

The hot water sent agony spiking through her feet -- sweet sweet agony, it meant the nerves hadn't been lost to frostbite or gangrene.

"Gyah," she muttered under her breath, flexing the pained appendages. "A'right, 'Ryo, le's do this!"

Ki heard Karuka come join in the game and grinned toothily. "Joining in on the other side, are you, Karuka?" She waited until she had the emaciated girl's attention before sending a huge wave of water at her. "Then take this!"

Karuka closed her eyes as the hot water hit her, but then grinnd back. "I'll ay see tha' y' an' yer wee lass dinna prevail this bath-time! Triumph will be mine an' th' lad's!" she shouted out, sending her first splash of the battle at both Ki and Chiyo.

Within moments, it was anarchy, everyone splashing everyone in a frenzy of aqueatic mock-warfare, at the end of which both kits were as exhausted as Karuka was, and everyone was ready to just get clean and curl up for a nap.

Translations

I must look a ragged mess.

"Well, his own sister and mother against him is hardly a fair fight, even if he IS the strongest fighter in the whole world!"

"Alright, Ryo, lets do this!"

"I'll see that you and your daughter don't prevail this bath-time! Triumph will be mine and the lad's!"

Reiko
02-17-07, 02:04 PM
The little game felt good to Ki, though she did the least splashing about, for the reason of conserving energy, everyone’s clothing needed to be washed from running around in the cold forest. It was going to be a long night for the Reiko girl but she wanted Karuka to feel at home and her kits happy too. Doji was the first out and toweling off the rapidly cooling water. But while drying she closed her eyes in a slight meditation that mystic kitsune have done since they learned to take human form. In her lap a yukata spun itself from unseen threads and hands. A violet kimono that was held with flowers the same hue as Karuka’s hair. That hair reminded the vixen of her older self before the combining of body and spirit, the three tailed fox had stunning red hair of a similar color.

“Here you go Karuka, wear this to bed.” Doji smiled as she left the garment lying on a bench newt to the towel. “Come here Chiyo.” Doji bade her daughter to come closer and allowing the nine tails to pick the girl up and dry her off.

“Aww but I wanted to keep playing.” Chiyo tiredly whined but her muscles seemed to be limp with weariness.

“I don’t think your body is agreeing, it wants sleep.” Ki giggled as she placed the now dry vixen on the ground. “You too Ryo” Ki asked Ryo to follow his sister and he actually did since it was boring in the bath all alone though the male made a little defiance with one finale splash to get Ki wet but the vixen giggled and slid back, avoiding the water. “No cheap shots now it’s bed time.”

“Aww, you weren’t supposed to dodge.” Ryo lamented though he giggled.

“You should know mommy better, she’s very good at dodging.” Ki taunted as she picked up the little fox boy and dried him off too. ”Karuka, could you tuck them in, sorry they can’t have clothing but the real clothes are dirty and if I made everyone a kimono then you’d have to carry me to bed.” Doji smiled as she waved at Karuka and her Kits.

Once they were gone she looked at her own reflection, it seemed strange that she was comparing herself to Karuka but she couldn’t help but wonder what a beauty the girl would make if she had a proper diet and some good clothing. Ki had been on her own for so long and she had to live off of her strength and skill with the blade, it was enough to keep her going and it kept her from getting that skinny but she wasn’t sure she could survive as a swordswoman if she got that thin.

Ki then started to scrub Karuka’s rags as she swore she would give the girl a good breakfast and then get her so she could live on her own. Oh how Ki would want to raise her as one of her kits but she was human and while short bursts of time living in a kitsune den was perfectly fine, the effect it had long turn was horrifying. Ki would inadvertently become a parasite that would eat at Karuka’s soul if the girl lived in the den too long and that was the last thing Doji wanted. Once done with the wonderful human’s rags she went to Ryo whose kimono was not as bad but still very dirty, he was only out for a few hours and finally to Chiyo’s and her own which weren’t too bad but still needed cleaning. “I’m going to help her out… I know I can.” Doji promised herself that tomorrow’s going to be big and she then went to join her Kits in slumber land.

The site of her children curled up with Karuka warmed Ki’s heart a little more and she smiled and decided to join them, curling up into their little ball, not caring that her clothing was out drying in the night air with her children’s. Not really caring how awkward it might be having a person who just met them waking up with them naked.

Karuka
02-17-07, 10:14 PM
Karuka slid out of the water shortly after Ki did, making sure there were enough towels for everyone before grabbing one and drying herself off. When Ki called out to her, she turned and took the simple garment with a smile.

"Thank y', 'tis ay beautiful."

And it really was...it had been so long since she'd worn anything with the least amount of color, and as she slid into it, she reveled in the softness and smoothness of it. The smile on her lips only widened. I've always wanted t' ha' somethin' pretty t' wear.

In just a few short hours in the fox's den, Karuka had been treated more like a member of the family than she had in her stepfather's house. I'll ne'er forget 'em.

She started to answer to the affirmative as the kitsune asked her to tuck the twins in, but the two kits grabbed her by the hands and started dragging her away, and she grinned. "I' seems I dinna ay ha' a choice," she called over her shoulder.

As they got to the bedroom, the kits pulled Karuka down onto the mat with them, and then looked at her expectantly, tails waving.

"Tell us a bedtime story!" demanded Ryo. His sister nudged him for being rude, and added on "Please."

Karuka sighed. "I'm ay tired, an' couldna get ou' a story t'nigh'. Bu' when I finish th' story t'morra, 'twill ay be gran'."

Not prepared to take no for an answer, the two kits started bouncing around, chanting "STORY! STORY! STORY!" This, Karuka knew how to deal with. She reached out and grabbed them both, making them sit down.

"A'righ'. Once 'pon a time, nae too long ago, there were a wee fox boy named 'Ryo who dinna wan' t' stay home. An' his sister, Ch'yo, an' his mathair, Doji Ki, ha' t' go an' chase him down."

"But that happened today!" protested Ryo.

"Are y' tellin' th' story, or am I?" asked Karuka, almost snapping. She was almost animalistic herself, tired as she was, and the kit backed down.

"An' when they foun' him, he were bein' hel' by a goblin! ... Well, nae really. He were bein' hel' by a ragged wee red-haired girl who was makin' him go home. An' then Doji Ki invited th' girl t' come wi' them, because 'twere col', an' they came in an' ha' stories an' tea an' a bath. An' then th' red-haired girl promised tha' there'd be more stories in th' mornin', if only th' wee ones let her sleep now."

The kits thought it over. It sounded fair, and so they curled up with their guest, Chiyo sliding under her arm as she laid down, and Ryo sprawled across her legs. They were all three out soon, and no one stirred as the elder kitsune joined them.
__________________________________________________ __________________________

Karuka woke in the morning amidst a tangle of tails. It was the first time in a LONG time she could remember waking up somewhere soft and warm. Three bodies tangled around hers, Ki's mature one as well as the child forms of the twins.

There wasn't much point in stirring and waking everyone else up, so she just stayed where she was, drowsing a bit. This time yesterday she'd been hungry, so hungry that if she'd seen anything that even remotely looked edible she'd have eaten it...but today she wasn't.

Translations

"Thank you, it's very beautiful."

>>>I've always wanted something pretty to wear.<<<

>>>I'll never forget them.<<<

"It seems I don't have any choice."

"I'm ay tired, an' couldna get ou' a story t'nigh'. Bu' when I finish th' story t'morra, 'twill ay be gran'."

"Alright. Once upon a time, not too long ago, there was a little fox boy named Ryo who didn't want to stay home. And his sister, Chiyo, and his mother, Doji Ki, had to go and chase him down."

"Are you telling the story, or am I?"

"An' when they found him, he was being held by a goblin! ... Well, not really. He was being held by a ragged red-haired girl who was making him go home. And then Doji Ki invited the girl to come with them, because it was cold, and they came in and had stories and tea and a bath. And then the red-haired girl promised that there'd be more stories in the morning, if only the children let her sleep now."

Reiko
02-18-07, 10:19 AM
Ki slept well thanks to her kits not stirring too much the day had really tired them out and Doji couldn’t be gladder. When the nine tails awoke she twitched her tails and sat up stretching, and looking at the three she slept with. Ryo and Chiyo were still sound asleep but Doji noticed that Karuka was awake causing the vixen mom to smile with a little humor.

“You know it’s alright to get up, I wouldn’t have minded in the least. Sleep well? I know humans tend to not like to use each other as a bed like this.” The fox girl stretched a bit before getting up. “I’ll go get breakfast, you can go back to sleep if you want.” Doji left to the garden and dressed into her now clean kimono, fox magic had many advantages that Ki never had but was now starting to take for granted, clothes would not dry at night in normal circumstances but the den followed Doji’s will and dried the kimonos.

Once dressed, Ki went to the modest kitchen and started to cook, conjuring up ingredients like eggs and chicken, there was already rice around that just needed to be cooked and the vegetables and spices. Ki’s goal was a simple dish of rice with chicken and eggs and other vegetables, a good breakfast for anyone. Cooking took longer than Doji liked though since the rice had to steam but it gave her some time to think. She could get Karuka a real weapon and maybe train her in the basics of the weapon, that would work and then the girl would be better off in the world, though the best thing would be getting the red head to a fill out a little. Women often had to turn to their beauty in the human world to get what they want, Ki knew she had to even though she much preferred to use strength. And Karuka needed to eat for strength too as well as cunning. Doji was sure that feeding the girl was the best thing.

Once the meal was out on the table, Ki looked to Karuka and smiled, “You don’t have to wait while I get the kits up. There’s plenty for everyone. Oh yeah, the food is magic though don’t worry it won’t make you fall in love with me like the stories, just you better not leave the den without it digesting a little. If you do it’ll disappear before giving any nutrition, and you’re belly will cramp.” Warned the black tails fox as she went to the darkened room and woke her children up with a kiss on the cheek. “Wakie wakie, time for breakfast.”

“I’m so hungry!” Ryo jumped up and practically ran towards the kitchen but Ki was fast after him and pulled his tail.

“Not before you get dressed.”

“Fine,” the fox boy yielded while walking to the garden to get his kimono.

“Mmm, just a little longer.” Chiyo protested while grabbing a couple of Ki’s tails and cuddling with them and neko at the same time.

“Nope your going to get up and eat before the food gets cold.” Doji lifted up her daughter and took her sleeping form to the garden, laid the younger vixen down and then splashed some water.

“Hot!” Chiyo yelped and looked at Ki with wide eyes. “Why did you do that mommy?”

“Be happy I didn’t throw you in!” Giggled the mother; she wouldn’t ever do that, though she wanted her daughter up. “It’s going to be a big day so you’re going to need breakfast.” Ki smiled and then they all sat sown at the table. Well eat up everyone.

Karuka
02-18-07, 08:21 PM
As Ki got up, so did Karuka, gently sliding Ryo off of her legs and curling him up with his sister so the two could keep warm.

"'Twere ay warmer than I've been in a long time. An' I didna wake e'en once," she said to her hostess. She didn't know how well the kits could hear or what would wake them, so she spoke softly. She found her clothes both clean and dry, and thanked Ki for that...Mighty gods, wha' she mus' think o' me, when I come like some sor' o' tramp.. She reluctantly relinquished her pretty yukata and dressed once more in the short shirt and battered pants -- which were restored to a grayish almost-white by the fox mother's diligence.

"Stories?" Karuka asked as the vixen went to rouse her kits. She'd come to a culture she hadn't heard of before, so this mention of stories had piqued her interest.

The food the vixen had set out looked like a feast fit for a king -- and she had never seen the little grainy food before. It all smelled wonderful, though. But the emaciated red-head found herself without an appetite, though it had been a good five days since she'd eaten. It was so hard to find things when traveling in unfamiliar territory.

She laughed as Ki splashed her daughter, and let the little family gather at the table.

"No, thank y'. I'm nae hungry, an' I've ay imposed qui' a lot on yer hospitality. Af'er th' wee ones ha' eaten, I'll finish th' story an' be on mi way. There are ay' thousan's o' miles I've ne'er seen a'fore, an only aon lifetime in which t' cross 'em."

Translations

"It was warmer than I've been in a very long time. And I didn't even wake once."

>>Mighty gods, what she must think of me, when I come like some sort of tramp.<<<

"No, thank you. I'm not hungry, and I've imposed quite a lot on your hospitality. After the children have eaten, I'll finish the story and be on my way. There are thousands of miles I've never seen before, and only one lifetime in which to cross them."

Reiko
02-19-07, 09:27 PM
Karuka’s words hit Ki like a rock. How could she say no to such a nice breakfast when she was that hungry, Ki would dine under the world’s worst cook if she were half as hungry as Karuka and Doji knew she wasn’t great cook but seeing her guest decline wasn’t really good.

“So it isn’t really that appealing?” The nine tails asked as she sampled some of the rice. “It tastes good to me. Why not try it?” Doji asked as she spooned several scoops into each plate. And the kits ran up and started eating, not much ceremony in the eating habits of foxes.

But Karuka still didn’t look hungry and Doji went from hurt to worry, something wasn’t right with the girl, could she be sick. Even so the nutrients would be better for her if she ate. Maybe she didn’t believe the mother Kitsune about the food and thought it was cursed to make her a slave.

Ki shook her head and remembered the silent promise to her to help Karuka. The kits were a little worried too and Chiyo took the girl’s arm with her own. “Are you alright, don’t worry, mom makes the best rice in the world.” The little girl made the fabrications that children tended to do about their parents.

Ryo snickered and tried a different approach. “If you don’t hurry up and eat yours I’ll take it!” The boy taunted even though it would be too much for his small belly.

Ki shook her head. “I hate to tell you this, but I have a little bushi blood in my veins and I can’t have my honor tainted with being a poor host for the first guest here.” Doji feigned sadness as she said the words. “So refusing to eat leaves me two choices. I can hold you down while Ryo holds your mouth open and Chiyo spoons the food in and then Ryo moves your mouth in to chew it or if that fails I’ll have to slit my belly like the failure I am.”

The two kits bought the last part even if Karuka might have not since they were clinging to Doji’s Kimono then started to hug her legs. “No you can’t, you’re not a failure, we’re really happy and we love you!” Both said in unison, tears streaking down their cheeks. Doji found herself a little surprised that they bought it so easily, though it gave Ki some leeway in getting Karuka to eat.

Karuka
02-19-07, 09:52 PM
Well, in the face of all THAT...and the Celts had similar rules about hospitality.

"Ah...well, I dinna ay s'pose I coul' be tha' horrible o' a guest, then. I'll eat, jus' lemme wash mi face an' han's."

With that, Karuka stepped back out to the pool and looked down into it for a moment. She really did look thin enough that she couldn't blame the kind kitsune for threatening to force-feed her. The red-head took a handful of water and splashed it on her face, then using more water to clean her hands and lower arms.

She then stood up and returned to the table, sitting down and taking a bowl. She wasn't exactly sure what this was -- no, wait. Chiyo had said 'rice.' ... Whatever that was. And she wasn't entirely sure how one ate this meal until she saw the pairs of sticks in everyone's hands.

'Twillnae be pretty, this.

She grinned sheepishly at her hostess. "I'm sorry if I make a mess...I've ne'er eaten wi' these...sticks...a'fore now."

That said, she took the pair of sticks in front of her, tried to situate them (with only minimal success), and stuck them into the pile of food in front of her. She failed several attempts at snaring any food, and finally crossed the sticks over a finger, sliding the finger out to grab a piece of vegetable and lift it to her mouth. This would be a slow process, this breakfast, but that was a good thing...the slower she ate, the less likely she'd be to get sick.

"So, y' were sayin' somethin' abou' stories an' food an' love, a'fore th' wee ones woke?"

Translations

"Ah...well, I don't suppose I could be that horrible of a guest, then. I'll eat, just let me wash my face and hands."

>>>This isn't going to be pretty.<<<

"I'm sorry if I make a mess...I've never eaten with these...sticks...before now."

"So, you were saying something about stories and food and love, before the kids woke up?"

Reiko
02-22-07, 09:07 PM
Seeing Karuka eat Ki’s meal gave the vixen to smile. The girl was probably feeling guilty over Doji and her kits’ generosity but one thing was that the family wanted to help and Karuka’s presence was payment enough.

Wow she’s a fast learner. I didn’t get a chance to show how to hold them. The mother vixen swished her tails as she looked at her children eating, more like gobbling down their food. “Yeah that’s close. Though you’re slightly off.” Doji showed Karuka to hold the sticks with her three primary fingers to hold the main stick and then the secondary as well using the forth and the third finger. “There we go and here’s a trick.” Doji winked as she held the bowl in her hand. “Put the bowl to your lips and then tilt it and with the same way of holding the sticks and gripping the food, you can shovel it in like my kits.” Ki did like she said and hurried to eat her food and then she smiled.

The kits as impatient as ever had finished their meal and hearing Karuka mention the word story. Chiyo was first with her eyes glittering. “You mean you’re ready to finish the story?” The girl’s snow-white tail swished violently back and forth and so was her brother.

“Yeah I really want to know the end!” Ryo jumped in.

Ki shook her head. “Let her eat. I think she wants me to tell the story. I’ll be sure to tell one you two haven’ heard.” The vixen giggled at the fact her children turned to her.

“Ok, tell us a story mommy!” The two said in unison again.

“Once there was a proud warrior, he was the finest ronin in the land for no man and not even an army could stand against him with a sword.”

“Hey that sounds like you mommy!” Ryo interrupted.

“Um let me finish the story ok. I’m not that good of a swordsman.” Ki smiled at her son and continued. “Anyways he was a great swordsman and very handsome with women swooning over him all the time. But the story happens when he enters the forest on the edge of the world. There was a lovely vixen there who could become a human or the mix of the two.”

“Is that you mommy?” Chiyo asked innocently.

“No. Am I even going to finish?” Ki asked as she patted both her kits with some of her tails. “Well she was a fox of great magic and had a den like this one except she could make it into a palace. And on a special day the swordsman was lost and hungry, for while a great blade master he wasn’t much of a forager or hunter and the animals stayed far away from his sword. He was near starvation when one animal came to him, our kitsune vixen. She saw the humans plight and took pity on him and took him into eat. She cooked a feast for the swordsman. When he ate the food he looked at the girl who all of a sudden had tails coming out of her back side but there was magic in the food and he fell in love and would never leave the house, living the rest of his day with the vixen though he sadly didn’t live long.” Ki finished with a smile to Karuka. “Don’t worry, I’ve fed a human here before and he’s fine.”

Karuka
02-23-07, 03:34 PM
Karuka ate as instructed, although she held the bowl lower than right at her face. After all...when someone was telling a story, it was bad manners not to look at her.

She found it was easier to eat this way, and that she could use the chopsticks -- held close together -- as a kind of scoop, and that worked better to eat this food with. It was very good -- unlike anything she'd ever tasted, but still good -- even if she hadn't already been starving.

As she first got some of the food down, her stomach reacted painfully, trying to decide what it was supposed to do with this. The girl let the pain ride out as the kits bounced around, asking for a story, and started eating a bit more as her stomach remembered what it did with food and demanded more.

She listened as Ki told about the brave warrior and the beautiful vixen, and their enchanted, but short-lived, love. 'Tis ay a tragedy. 'Twoul' ha' been nice if he'd fallen in love o' his ain accord, bu' t' die fer love would ay be th' hardes'. Well, a' least like tha'.

She grinned as the story ended. "Well, 'tis good t' know there'll be no enchantments fer th' unwary traveler. Y've a real gift fer tellin' stories. Y' can tell a short tale like 'twas an' wi'ou' anythin' o' extras. I canna tell a short story short t' save mi life."

The kits turned again to the red-head, tails waving intensely. Their mother's tale had gotten their little imaginative appetites whetted, now they wanted the conclusion of the intensely dramatic tale from the previous evening.

"A'righ', a'righ'. So, we left off wi' th' queen bringin' Kengo an' Zookai t' see th' wee prince an' princess who'd ay been turned t' stone by th' evil luchorpán...."

Translations (because story is typed in normal English)

>>>Such a tragedy. It would have been nice if he'd fallen in love of his own accord, but to die for love would be the hardest. Well, at least like that.<<<

"Well, it's good to know there'll be no enchantments for the unwary traveler. You have a real gift fer telling stories. You can tell a short tale like it was and without anything extra. I can't tell a short story short to save my life."

"Alright, alright. So, we left off with the queen bringing Kengo and Tsukai to see the young prince and princess who had been turned to stone by the evil leprechaun...."

Tsukai found that she could not undo the leprechaun's magic on the prince and princess, no matter how hard she tried. The queen started to cry and said "I wish I had never left them with him!", but of course that was a fourth wish and couldn't be granted.

So Tsukai and Kengo consulted with each other --

"Consulted ay means 'talked t'," inserted Karuka.
Consulted means "talked to."

And decided that if they went to the fay world, where the leprechauns and fairies live, they could find the leprechaun and make him undo his magic -- and if he wouldn't undo it, they would kill him and his magic would be undone at that.

Before they could get to the fay world, though, they had to go visit the wise old lady, who was the smartest person in the world and knew such things as how to get to the fay world.

When they got to her, she told them...

Here Karuka darted around the table and whispered into Ki's ear the lines. The kitsune giggled and said them, taking her part in the story.

She told them "You must walk for three days and three nights, and then you will be at the entry way to the nearest gate into the fay kingdom."

So, with the Queen's blessing, the mage and warrior set out. They walked and walked for three days and three nights, but they were not tired, for they were the strongest and most powerful in the world. When they reached the gateway, Tsukai used her magic to open it, and the two charged through, right into a horde of dragons.

A horde of dragons wasn't a problem though -- Kengo swung his sword once, twice, three times, great strokes that each felled scores of dragons.

They traveled until they reached the leprechaun's castle, and by then they were a little tired, but they couldn't sleep or they'd be killed -- humans aren't supposed to intrude on the fay world.

So they go into the castle, charging through hallways, slaying minions until the gray walls are painted bright red in blood, and the scent of blood filled the air so thickly they choked on it.

It was only then they reached the throne of the leprechaun himself. He grinned toothily at the two.

"So...you think you can come here and kill my minions, do you?" he creaked.

"Turn the prince and princess back from stone!" commanded Kengo, in a tone that would make the very mountains quake in fear. But it didn't scare the leprechaun, because they were in HIS realm now.

He summoned up thousands upon thousands of dark creatures and made them attack the knight and warrior. For hours and hours Tsukai and Kengo fought, but finally they couldn't fight anymore, and it was the brave knight, who had been fighting to clear a path to the leprechaun that fell first, of injuries that would have felled ten thousand armies well before then.

Tsukai, seeing her friend dead, cried out bitterly, and the beasts were upon her, tearing her flesh. In her final moments, she spoke one final spell and pointed her magic staff at the leprechaun.

Karuka settled down now, where she had been directing the kits' action. She gestured for Chiyo and Ryo to come sit by her knees and continued somberly.

"Now, th' luchorpán died o' th' attack. His castle crumbled int' nothin', an' back in Tatha, th' wee prince an' princess turned back from stone, ay scared from their experience. Bu' th' greatest sorceress in th' worl'...an' th' greates' knight in th' worl'...ha' ha' t' sacrifice their lives fer th' wee prince an' princess. An' 'twere for no reason other than tha' th' da chil'ren woul'nae respec' each other's stuff an' their mathair.
"When they ay' learned wha' ha' happened, they became perfectly well-behaved chil'ren, an' when 'Ryo became king, he ha' da pillars built. Aon were a gran' sword, an' th' other were a staff. The pillars stood a' th' front o' th' castle, so tha' no one coul' e'er ferget."

TRANSLATIONS

"Now, the leprechaun died from her attack. His castle crumbled into nothing, and back in Tatha, the prince and princess turned back from stone, very scared from their experience. But the greatest sorceress in the world...and the greatest knight in the world...had had to sacrifice their lives for the wee prince and princess. And it was for no reason other than that the two children wouldn't respect each other's stuff and their mother.
"When they learned what had happened, they became perfectly well-behaved children, and when Ryo became king, he had two pillars built. One was a grand sword, and the other was a staff. The pillars stood at the front of the castle, so that no one could ever forget."

Reiko
02-23-07, 06:11 PM
The two Kit’s looked sort of sad to here about the deaths of the warrior and the sorceress. They were hoping the two would live but in the end they died. “Why did they have to die?” Chiyo asked with a bit of remorse but Ki had the answer.

“It’s the risk of adventure, being a hero means you have to do stuff where you may die. But they saved the children who grew up to make the kingdom great so that’s a good thing.” Doji hugged Chiyo and saw a smile cross the girls face.

Ryo wasn’t as sad though he was almost hopping about. “You think we could have another story?” The boy asked hopefully.

Ki laughed and shook her head. “You got two stories all before the sun even came close to its peak.”

“One and a half.” Chiyo stated wit her tail swishing against Ki’s own.

“Alright you win, one more story.” Doji admitted as she got down on all fours and tried her best to sound mockingly sinister. “This one’s about a monster that roams the world looking for children to catch.” Doji had a grin showing her teeth as she held Chiyo on her belly. “To catch and tickle!” The nine tails laughed as she prodded her moving fingers over Chiyo’s belly and under her arms, causing the little vixen to squirm and giggle.

“Hey not fair!” Ryo said as he made a pounce at Ki but the mother was too quick and slipped out from under Chiyo and safely away from her kids. But Ki still had her tails and Ryo fell for the elder’s trap, and all nine of the twitching tails found the kits’ ticklish points and rendered the twins helpless.

“Oh it seems like the monster’s going to win this one.” The fox ronin smiled as she looked at Karuka. “The kit’s only hope seems to be in the hands of the great hero Karu!” Doji winked at her guest. “Hope she isn’t too mad from all the begging for stories!”

Karuka
02-23-07, 06:32 PM
Karuka crouched down, watching the kits squirm and giggle under their mother's relentless tickling attack.

The scrawny red-head could barely suppress a grin -- she wished she could have had tickle-fests when she was growing up. But the kits were crying out from help, and eventually Karuka took pity.

"Well...th' thin' abou' monsters...they ay forget tha' when they've go' their tails full o' chil'ren, 'tis ay hard t' move when th' Irish hero comes out from nowhere."

With that, Karuka launched forward and into Ki, starting to tickle the mature vixen relentlessly. True, Ki had her arms left, but she'd be slowed down by the weight of the two kits in her tails.

I'd ay love t' ha' a family like this.

TRANSLATIONS

"Well...the thing about monsters...they forget that when they've got their tails full of children, it's hard to move when the Irish hero comes out from nowhere."

>>>I'd love to have a family like this.<<<

Reiko
02-24-07, 03:18 PM
Ki wasn’t surprised by Karuka’s tickle attack; the vixen expected it. Well it was part of the game and even though Ki probably and easily throw off the lighter young woman, she didn’t want to. Doji took the Tickling and knew that like her kits she was slightly ticklish and was squirming and giggling with them, though with her arms free she could counter by tickling Karuka as well causing her to giggle too.

The tickle fest lasted longer than Ki would guess though she was winning over her kits; they didn’t have a chance though Karuka was handling herself well against the nine tails dexterous hands. But then Chiyo and Ryo yelled, “Stop, we give up!” And that made Doji stop and Karuka stopped as well. Everyone was panting from play and Doji relaxed against the wall. “Guess you to would like a nap now?” The vixen asked and the two fox children nodded. Ki took the children to bed in each arm.

“You really help liven this place up. I would like you to stay a few more days for the snowstorm outside to end. There is a town nearby that’s pretty nice, though I don’t want you trying to find the place in the storm. I wish you could stay with me like a daughter but humans and foxes shouldn’t live together too long, that’s why you don’t see their father here. Still keep in mind I would love for you to visit from time to time, and I can help you out when you need it. I’m not too shabby with the sword if someone starts to pick on you.” The fox woman took a sip of her tea.

Karuka would spend a few days at least though Ki knew she had something that she wanted to do and didn’t need the nine tails for it. A good bye was inevitable.

(Spoils: this introduces Ki's fox den. It's her home but the link is mystical and she can't sell it. Ki can conjure common items with little trouble and they last as long as they stay in the fox den but will vanish when they are taken from the den and so cannot be sold.)

Karuka
02-26-07, 10:10 PM
"'Tis ay kind o' y' t' let me weather ou' th' storm here...an' I'll visit from time t' time when I've got new stories t' keep th' wee ones occupied. I'm sure bein' a mathair full time fer dha children is ay hard work, an' a wee break woul' be verra good fer y'."

Karuka grinned. Every now again she would be able to come back and pretend she had a real family for a bit -- if one could ignore the fact that her ears were round and furless and she didn't have a tail.

The couple of days Karuka spent in Ki's den were the most carefree and happiest Karuka had spent in a long time -- since well before her "birth" out of the cave into Althanas. She taught the kits a few steps to some of the dances from her girlhood, entertained them with stories and foreign music, and had warm meals and baths and a place to sleep, all curled up with the kits and Ki and an abundance of big fluffy tails.

It was almost like really being a child again, for the first time since her mother had remarried.

Eventually, though, it was time to go...her pendulum started swinging as she was explaining to Ryo how it NORMALLY worked...it was time to head west...although no one would let her go until after she'd had one last meal...after all, Ki seriously doubted in her ability to feed herself.

While she was washing up for the last time at the hot pool, Karuka looked at herself in the water. The red hair shone more and looked less scraggly, her skin looked more like it belonged to a girl instead of a skeleton, and the ribs that had worried the kitsune mother so much were barely visible now.

I'll ay regret leavin' soon as I set foot out tha' door...

Ki had fixed a wonderful goodbye feast -- more food than Karuka had ever had in front of her before. They ate, and Karuka told one last tale (the tale of how Merlin came to be born -- with her own unique twist to it, of course), and then put on her cloak and canvas. She looked up at Ki, sky-blue eyes sparkling merrily.

"Back t' lookin' like a goblin, am I nae? An' like a goblin, I'll ay get th' wee ones!"

She tackled Chiyo and Ryo, tumbling with them. When the threesome came to a halt, Karuka hugged them tightly before sitting them down on her lap.

"Now, th' dha o' y'...remem'er th' Prince an' Princess o' Tatha...be good t' each other. An' dinna steal Neko any more, 'Ryo."

The little boy pouted. "But it's fun! And that was just a story."

Karuka raised an eyebrow. "Perha' 'twere. Perha' 'twerenae. Bu' wha' 'tis true, is tha' Neko isnae jus' a doll t' Ch'yo. 'Tis ay her bes' frien'. Because she dinna ha' anyone else t' play wi' bu' y' an' yer mathair an' Neko, an' sometimes yer mean t' her, an' she dinna wish t' ha' y' call her a tattletail, so she canna tell yer mathair...an' sometimes when yer mathair does an' says stuff, i' dinna make sense an' i' hurts her feelin's. So Neko is th' only aon who will lis'en t' her, an' willna say things t' hurt her feelin's. An' when y' take th' doll an' start hurtin' i', yer hurtin' yer puithar's bes' frien'. An' tha' 'tisnae nice o' y'."

Ryo's ears drooped. "I won't steal the doll anymore," he muttered. Karuka grinned.

"There's a good lad." One last hug to everyone, and Karuka left, barefoot out in the snow, but chipper for all of that.

As the den receded from her view, she looked up at the sky -- the most perfect blue, with a bright sun and not the slightest hint of a cloud in the sky.

Thank y', all o' y', fer sen'in' me somewhere t' weather ou' th' storm, an' wi' such a good fam'ly. I shouldna ha' e'er doubted.

She smiled. Doubtless the road ahead would be long and hard, but she was prepared for that. She felt much better about the road she walked -- there were good people to meet, after all.

TRANSLATIONS

"It's very kind of you to let me weather out the storm here....and I'll visit from time to time when I've got new stories to keep the children occupied. I'm sure being a mother full time to two children is very hard work, and a little break would be quite good for you."

>>>I'll regret leaving as soon as I set foot out that door...<<<

"Back to looking like a goblin, aren't I? And like a goblin, I'll snatch the children!"

"Now, you two...remember the Prince and Princess of Tatha...be good to each other. And don't steal Neko anymore, Ryo."

"Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn't. But what IS true is that Neko isn't just a doll to Chiyo. It's her very best friend. Because she doesn't have anyone else to play with but you, your mother, and Neko, and you're mean to her sometimes, and she doesn't want you to call her a tattle tale, so she can't tell your mother...and sometimes when your mother does and says things, it doesn't make sense and it hurts her feelings. So Neko is the only one who will listen to her, and won't say things to hurt her feelings. So, when you take the doll and start hurting it, you're hurting your sister's best friend. And that isn't nice of you."

>>>Thank you, all of you, for sending me somewhere to weather the storm, and with such a good family. I shouldn't have ever doubted you.<<<

Spoils request:

I don't want anything in particular for me, I just want to request along with Ki that she gets her den.

AdventWings
02-27-07, 12:22 PM
<<Story Time~!>>

Ahh, my favorite Kitsune mommy and the lovable Story-Teller. Good to see another quest completed so soon!

Story

Continuity - 6

You two both gave me ideas and a bit of backstory as to where you were, how you got here and where else you are going. Karuka started the story off quite strong, admirably so, though I believe Reiko could do a better job with it. Still, this would hinder little on the rest of your story.

Setting - 7

Vivid, grim portrayal and sensation of the snowdrift and atmosphere, a lovely scene overall. The fleeting description of the Akashiman-style house did quite well to establish the overall feel inside, something people sometimes forget and just stick with the "generic" scenery of European medieval interior. Obviously, a bit of investment in establishing the setting, but not too much that detracted from the main idea. Good work.

Pacing - 7

The rhythmic rise and fall of story development had me glued to the screen, even though I knew I had things to do beforehand. Even though there was barely any fighting or confrontation that felt the least bit threatening, the story was pulled off nicely. If for not the slightly off-beat intro, I would be glad to give you an 8 or even a 9. But~ That's for another time. What you have here is impressive for me already.

Writing Style

Mechanics - 6

There were some glaring typos on Reiko's parts, which I would either attribute to rushing through your posting or just absent-mindedly forgetting to read through and edit the mistake. There were common misuse of homophones, such as using site in place of sight for example. Nothing big or fundamentally critical, but these can really irk the readers. Take your time and read through your posts, edit out and change what slipped through on your first read-through. As a mental note, I usually come back and skim through the posts I've already completed, reading it as though I'm just a passerby and nothing more. When I find a mistype or a sentence that just sounded off, I edit the post and correct the mistake. Takes some time (of which us humans seemed to lack nowadays) but the reward is blissful.

Technique - 8

Excellent job at using story-telling as a plot device and even a method of moving the plot along. Much of the story was either directly linked to how the story of Thata prince and princess played out or with the simple ordeals of living day to day in a foreign culture. The language barrier was used as a nice pause and reminded us that not everyone spoke the same language - most of the times, though, there was not much literary devices I could point out without reading through it again. Then again, my mind is not incredibly powerful so I tend to forget a few details here and there. Nothing a re-read could not fix, after all. ^_^

Clarity - 6

It was a bit hard to read some parts and understand the undertone, but it has a nice flow through and through. I was not confused by any of the actions and scenery, though a few ambiguous sentences thrown in at the right spots could do well to enhance the story. Nothing like a dark undertone to give that tingly sensation of suspicion, though it would be hard to add any in here for positive effect.

Character

Dialogue - 7

I love it how well Karuka portrayed the language usage and how confusing it would be, even though I surprisingly found that Ryo and Chiyo did not have such a hard time with is as much as Ki did. A bit more into this aspect could do well, which is up to you to figure out how to react. As for Reiko, you sounded just like my mother. :D I mean that in a good way, mind you. A loving, caring and occasionally stern mother with a great senes of pride. And a hint of exhaustion laced in her voice. A very believable portrayal of a single mother taking care of two very energetic (and excitable) pair of twins.

Action - 7

I understand and sympathize with how well you each portrayed your characters and each other's saved for a few short scenes here and there that felt a bit off. Just a hint bit off, so to say. Like letting your guest sleep on the floor surrounded by your naked family... */me wipes a clean tissue across a blood-smeared nose* but that was about as much oddity as I could note. Overall... Very good job.

Persona - 8

The ragged wanderer mistaken for a goblin... The caring, protective and exhausted mother... The two mischievious twins... Their personalities shone through splendidly for all four and neither one less than another. Karuka, initially almost cursing at the gods, found new faith in them in the end. Ki, having been the haste in her demeanor, calmed down and showed us her livelier, kinder side of what used to be a possessed swordswoman with a motherly rage only matched by the Fallien summer. Ryo and Chiyo, initially giving their mother a headache of a lifetime, started to show their maturity around the end of the story. A wonderful development in all of them, indeed.

Miscellaneous

Wild Card - 10

It would be an insult to give you two anything less.

Despite having barely any clash of arms or wits that would result in a lost limb or trampled dignity, this stood out as one of my favorite quests since I've taken up judging. I... I'm not sure how to explain it, but there is more story here than even some of the larger, longer ones I've seen before becoming a judge. Or even before becoming a moderator, even.

A story about Life and how to live. And one with a real moral to learn and follow rather than just another chapter to a book.

Total - 72!

Karuka receives 900 EXP and 200 GP.

Reiko receives 2550 EXP and the Fox Den, modeled after the contemporary Akashiman houses seen around the outskirts of Capital City. Most of the items and personal effects are in part from Kitsune Magic taught to Ki by Akashima's very own Trickster and Illusion Master, Gingitsu the Silver Fox. He is, after all, the patron Guardian of Ninyama Village which is not too far away. Ki would find that it would be better to go to the Marketplace from time to time and buy actual food and other wares, though most things could be conjured up without much trouble at home.

Hope you two have fun in Akashima, Myao~ :)

Cyrus the virus
02-27-07, 12:32 PM
EXP added! Karuka Tida reaches level 1, yahoo!