PDA

View Full Version : Speaking Out: The Althanas Suggestion Thread

Ther
02-10-07, 10:56 PM
The premise of this thread is pretty simple:

Do you have any comments, suggestions, thoughts on your experiences here at Althanas? Is there anything you'd like to see changed, anything you'd like to see added, anything you feel could be improved?

Keep in mind that we take all suggestions and comments very, very seriously, and some of the features that make Althanas what it is today were recommended by members.

grim137
02-10-07, 11:02 PM
One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is having that rediculous level limit in Scara Brae removed. It is really pointless as its not like anybody can kill anybody else's character with out express permission from that character's creator. Hell the reason scara brae never really gets fleshed out by RPers or anything is that limit is keeping most of the more exprianced writer's from using the place.

Reiko
02-10-07, 11:09 PM
I second Grim's

Also I think we need an open list of monsters that people can use when they want something to draw on. something that players can add to since it'll allow a more complete ecology to the regions and help make the regions feel more real.

Chidori Draconid
02-11-07, 10:10 AM
The world cannon seems to always be in a state of flux or incompletion (current events being the exception). It would be cool to see them finished and set in stone as soon as possible, which would help retain some of the member activity.

Cyrus the virus
02-11-07, 10:35 AM
I know some regions have Beastiaries, Reiko. I know for certain that Fallien has one, anyway. I'm sure you could contact region writers with monster ideas, but maybe if we were more open about it it'd be a good thing. We also have a Beastiary in the Thayne Mythology thread that people seem to ignore.

The world cannon seems to always be in a state of flux or incompletion (current events being the exception). It would be cool to see them finished and set in stone as soon as possible, which would help retain some of the member activity.

Welcome to my world. If I had my way, everything would have a history that made sense and meshed with the entire Althanas world. We'd have a calendar that we'd follow loosely, perhaps even seasons and the like. More importantly, I wish we had IC holidays in our world that act as week-long events. Imagine a snow festival type thing in Salvar, where a subforum is open for two weeks for people to celebrate. I think things like that would be great! Of course, we need a very tight and dedicated staff to work these things, and people are worked as it is. I think if we had a larger member base we could hire mods specifically for these types of events.

Reiko
02-11-07, 10:51 AM
I know some regions have Beastiaries, Reiko. I know for certain that Fallien has one, anyway. I'm sure you could contact region writers with monster ideas, but maybe if we were more open about it it'd be a good thing. We also have a Beastiary in the Thayne Mythology thread that people seem to ignore.

Well I was thinking more of a sticky thread in each region for player submissions. Something more tied to the regions. Like their would be a player submitted Beastiary in Fallien to go with the official one to give players more options, each region could have one that players could submit monsters for the region. I really don't like the Thayne as it forces people to use something that's reliant on a single person.

Artifex Felicis
02-11-07, 11:31 AM
a general iea of the sizes of the countires, a map for reletive locations, and the most basic formsa of transport. I've been wanting to know this for a while, mostly for when Leon has to leave Corone. Just walking from one place to another doesn't seem to be THAT interesting.

Also, I'd like a bit more emphasis on the beastiary and general submissions for new ideas on Althanas. Hell, a small IC incentive wouldn't hurt too much, and it could always be something along the lines of "Alright, you can get and etra 50 gold at the end of this quest* type of thing. OR something. I love the beastiaries, but it's like there's not enough reason to use them. The Thayne one's kind of out of the way, shoved inside a bunch of other sticky threads and about 7 posts into it. Not to mention, I sort of doubt everyone on the site knows who the Thayne are. Probably why I'd love it if there was like a submissions Sub Forum, and a "Stuff to Know" forum of everything the layperson could want about Althanas. Probably a bit of work, but a fun thing to have.

Djakara
02-11-07, 12:19 PM
I would love to see a grey and blue skin. I really thought that was easy on the eyes.

Osato
02-11-07, 12:28 PM
I said this in a different thread, but we need info on the regions that no longer are up as forums but are still in the info threads of other regions and the althanas history. Antioch is the one I'm thinking of, but I'm not sure what the other one I was thinking of is yet... feh.

Also, inconsistencies need to be addressed in the information given by the regional mods. I was thinking about this back when I was a mod even. If you look at Alerar's info thread you will see very little, since its always been meager and lacking (another suggestion). However, when you look at the part explaining the geographical locations of stuff it says that the mountains to the Southwest have a "Tomb of Fallen Kings" that split the drow from Antioch.

Now, when antioch was actually created it was some island with Lavinia (sp?) attached to it. The second problem I have is that the "Tular Plains", which so easily and readily appeared when people got bored, I supposed to be where antioch is said to be in the Alerar information.

So, what's going on with that exactly?

~*~

I very much agree with opening up Scara Brae to other levels. At the moment it seems like it's just thrown up there for people with low levels to rp in... which it is, I know. But, you don't get any more help there then you would in any other regions... there isn't anything specifically 'low level' about it, other than seemingly everything about it is on a less than grand scale (raw materials, nation size, military, export/imports, ect...).

If we opened it up to other levels it would easily gain a little more activity. And, just maybe, we could pull it down to join the other regions...

~*~

What the hell happened to the ToW and the Dajas Pagoda? I know that there is a lot of stuff going on right now, but almost 5-6 months ago when I typed up the Dajas Pagoda info and submitted it to the other mods, I was told that it'd go up with the ToW and act as a lower level version of the theater. Umm... The ToW had a sub-forum, for some reason, in Corone... The Pagoda isn't even a forum/sub-forum, and no information had been released about either one.

Could those at least be put with the Features sections, like above the tournaments or something? And then opened?

~*~

Power Groups: Why do we still not have HQ's? I have always been a hardcore fan of the headquarter idea, but since we moved to here and the Bandit Brotherhood finished their IC dealy, the incentives have been gone... maybe even before that.

It seems that none of the pg's are really going anywhere and no wars between them have been started because there is not incentive to start them. Unfortunately, as it seems, almost all pg's are being created that love and care for one another and just make big alliances... except the IE and whoever else.

Hq's kept the groups moving and active... incentives, IC'ly that made sense, were awesome. You don't even have to give ridiculous amounts of exp per month, just some gold and an artifact or something like we used to.

~*~

I may have more, other than "Why the hell is Istraloth still here?", but that's it for now.

Zook Murnig
02-11-07, 12:42 PM
On the topic of the skins, which was brought up by Djakara a couple posts above me, I've always had trouble seeing the type-marker thingy that shows where your typing will be put when I'm replying. It's black against dark grey. Not friendly to someone with colorblindness (I don't know if normal eyes have any trouble with it). Perhaps making the type-marker thingy (I think it's called a cursor) white? I've seen that elsewhere, like on GUA in the darker skins.

Other than that, I really like the Dark skin.

Cyrus the virus
02-11-07, 01:03 PM
I don't see the merit in a player-run beastiary. If I had my own region, I'd certainly want to keep it consistent by controlling what monsters are in it. Fallien has a submission thread AND a beastiery. Submit some monsters.

If you wrote a Pagoda up and then left the mod team... Chances are we're not using your suggestion. Actually, Atzar and the rest of us are trying to come up with the best possible way to run the Pagoda, so it doesn't get deleted again due to its pure shittiness. Max is in charge of the ToW and evidently does not have much time to work on it. Not to mention we have tournaments to plan and try not to expose more than 1 new feature at a time. We run tournaments rather often, and I think we do quite a bit as it is with all the things going on here on Althanas... You can deal without the Pagoda and the ToW in favor of running tournaments, right? They'll be up eventually and you'll find something else to complain about :)

Not everybody supports HQ's, so discussions on it often cease after a time until someone brings it up again. Free EXP, gold and the like for being in a PG is something a lot of us gripe about, especially considering mods aren't given any kind of reward for their hard work ^_^ Seems contradictory to give it to someone just for being in a PG that has a HQ, right? Still, wars are completely up to PG leaders to organize and not us. We can't do, like, everything.

As for my suggestions... Re-evaluation of staff again. Perhaps re-evaluation of the way we do lots of things (without all too much structure). Matt's been doing a good job getting us to come up with a tourney schedule for the year, and that's just one of a few schedules I feel we should have. So I'm thankful for that.

Bleater
02-11-07, 01:36 PM
As much as I would lobby for a Regional Bestiarity for somewhere other than Fallien (:rolleyes: ), I do realize that on one side, not having it does give you creative license- but that's a double edged sword.

It allows me the freedom to do something like... for example, if I'm writing about a trip through L'Renor Harlilen, having the freedom to say "Okay, well, I got jumped by hyenas here." It certainly fits with the geography and description, and it's something I wouldn't be able to do with a limited bestiarity. So on that aspect, it provides freedom and is positive.

The flip side of that being if it comes to judging and all of a sudden I'm seeing "I find it hard to believe you were attacked by those hyenas, as they've never been seen in Alerar before." On that side, we're in the negative simply because we have no reference point for what we should be using.

So... um... I'm ambivalent about the idea. I just thought I'd throw something like that out for you guys to chew on.

Zook Murnig
02-11-07, 02:13 PM
I think the idea of a bestiary is to provide an idea for the types of creatures found in a particular region, as well as specific creatures that absolutely exist and should be watched for in those regions. Like the harpies and Karuku-tal in Fallien. They are creatures that should definitely be watched for, and they provide a general feel to the monsters and races found in the deserts there.

Osato
02-11-07, 03:00 PM
If you wrote a Pagoda up and then left the mod team... Chances are we're not using your suggestion.

I wrote up the info and left months later... Max just never put it up when he said he would, which was supposed to be a month after I put it up... don't give me that crap.

And this is a suggestion thread. People are suggesting things, so it'd be appreciated if people would stop arguing against something. This isn't a discussion of ideas. This is what we, as players and members, would like to see...

My suggestions were put forth, not meant to be argued against or for...

Cyrus the virus
02-11-07, 03:44 PM
Well, I'm perfectly willing to sit back and allow suggestions as long as they aren't put forth in a somewhat hostile manner. I think a better choice of words in some situations could be the difference between hurt feelings and concerned feedback. That's all. I'm defending my friends and myself.

Serilliant
02-11-07, 05:14 PM
On the topic of the skins, which was brought up by Djakara a couple posts above me, I've always had trouble seeing the type-marker thingy that shows where your typing will be put when I'm replying. It's black against dark grey. Not friendly to someone with colorblindness (I don't know if normal eyes have any trouble with it). Perhaps making the type-marker thingy (I think it's called a cursor) white? I've seen that elsewhere, like on GUA in the darker skins.

Other than that, I really like the Dark skin.

That, for some reason, is the way the skin is designed. I do see your point, though, and it is difficult for people even with color-sightedness.

As far as skins in general, they have been on my todo list for a great length of time now. Unfortunately, given my other duties, I haven't had time to look into graphics. But if anyone is willing to give me a hand in this department, we're always looking for qualified people (http://althanas.com/world/newthread.php?do=application).

Calael
02-11-07, 09:26 PM
I know I'm not really around but checking in on this thread I still recall a suggestion put back in the day which pretty much solves a lot of the consistency and bestiary, locations, etc. issues, one which I lobbied for and even offered to set up but was told it was being worked on... An Althanas wiki with proper permissions allows a very easy and decentralized approach to doing most of these suggestions. Let the mods lock the entries directly relevant to their regions while letting the players edit their exploits in a list of events, monsters encountered, etc. I would really have loved (and will love again one day once I'm done with classes) to have such a repository. This allows the people who like to read on backstories and events to do so and those who like world building to do so as well, good entries can then be promoted to official status. It's easy, efficient, and allows for the information on Althanas to build up relatively quickly.

Well, hope this helps, guys, see you around,

Chidori Draconid
02-11-07, 09:47 PM
Of course, we need a very tight and dedicated staff to work these things, and people are worked as it is.
What the hell happened to the ToW and the Dajas Pagoda?
Max is in charge of the ToW and evidently does not have much time to work on it.

Hmm. From what I'm seeing, the Althanas staff is strapped for two things, time and man power. The solution to that is something alot of members and many of the staff hate to hear... more members. We've had this conversation before. In fact we had it right after I joined. If Althanas advertises in the right places it can triple its active member base without compromising its high standard of writing. That way it can expand its staff and tasks can be properly delegated to those who have the time to do them and finish them.

Plus it wouldn't hurt to be strict. If a mod isn't getting a task done, take it from them and give it to someone who'll finish it. Simple.

Dissinger
02-11-07, 09:51 PM
The problem is alot of mods seem to disappear for months, as they work hard on something only to return and have it complete. I worked as a mod for the better part of two years and you can never be sure if a mod is working on something or just too busy to get anything done. So just taking it from them seldom works.

However I would suggest either formally saying things are alive or dead. Maybe even create a thread where people can see projects waiting to be accomplished. That way we can help as well. The bestiary is basically soemthign I would also like to see implemented.

I would also like to see a return of Linked Accounts. I know it was done once before and I hope we didn't update VB and lose that ability, it was really really useful...

Chidori Draconid
02-11-07, 09:59 PM
I worked as a mod for the better part of two years and you can never be sure if a mod is working on something or just too busy to get anything done. So just taking it from them seldom works.You're right about that. Whenever I ask about thing being developed, if it isn't the mod or admin that controls it the answer is always vague and speculative. Progress reports, draft submissions, and tight deadlines. I know it's not nearly as simple as that, but that could be a start.

Serilliant
02-11-07, 10:21 PM
I would also like to see a return of Linked Accounts. I know it was done once before and I hope we didn't update VB and lose that ability, it was really really useful...

Welcome to last month (http://www.althanas.com/world/showpost.php?p=52509&postcount=24).

We've been restructuring the staff on the back end to help have specific point people on certain projects. With the emergence of some new very talented administrators, I trust that we'll see an era of greater accountability.

And on the subject of advertising and new members: I agree. Advertising is Max's realm, and I'm not sure that he really has the time for Althanas anymore. I would most certainly entertain offers for potential moderators in charge of advertising. Graphics designers and Google know-ers: apply!

Witchblade
02-11-07, 10:31 PM

We do have linked accounts right now. In fact I have my two accounts linked. PM Serilliant and I'm sure he'll hook you up.

Whenever I ask about thing being developed, if it isn't the mod or admin that controls it the answer is always vague and speculative. Progress reports, draft submissions, and tight deadlines. I know it's not nearly as simple as that, but that could be a start.

It really isn't as simple as that. Especially region writing. Region writing is something that comes and goes very quickly. Starting from scratch is hard and finding the motivation to constantly work on it is harder. It's not that we don't tell each other what we're working on or how far along we are, it's more that each mod is trusted to their particular area.

Well I was thinking more of a sticky thread in each region for player submissions. Something more tied to the regions.

Fallien has a beastiary, as already stated by multiple members. The beastiary is not locked, people can submit ideas for it. Thr submission thread is open for ideas. And if one took a quick peek around Fallien they would realize in my 'Missions from The Keep' thread there is actually a specific job that multiple people can take on to rp a quest that entails characters exploring the region to discovering new breeds of creatures within.

Atzar
02-11-07, 10:37 PM

You can link accounts right from your User CP. Right on that main page, there should be an option to link another account, and it should ask you for an account name and password.

So it's essentially even easier now - you don't have to bug an admin to do it.

Cyrus the virus
02-11-07, 10:44 PM
Plus it wouldn't hurt to be strict. If a mod isn't getting a task done, take it from them and give it to someone who'll finish it. Simple.

I have the same opinion, believe me. It can be frustrating at times, as someone who's put forth a lot of effort and work in the past will be kept on staff even if they haven't done much in recent times. Every once in a while we throw up a thread where we call out the people who haven't been consistent, and we shift things around a bit. But ultimately what comes from that is a lot of empty promises.

It's hard to remove someone from staff without burning bridges with them, sometimes. But I believe it has to be done.

So it's essentially even easier now - you don't have to bug Cyrus to do it.

Lolol fixed!

I also wanted to add that fighting a Thayne monster has nothing to do with following the faith or anything. The monsters in that beastiary do exist, whether we support that religion as canon or not. Rootwalkers, man!

Ranger
02-11-07, 10:59 PM
Maybe, if the projects being worked on where not only thrown at the mods, it would make things easier...

I mean. If a regional moderator was busy and couldn't get the motivation/time to post up their info, we could help. Wichy said:

Starting from scratch is hard and finding the motivation to constantly work on it is harder.

Personally, that is probably my favorite part of creative writing, not only on Althanas but anywhere. There are a lot of members who have too much time (me being one of them) that would LOVE to help. If you are having trouble or can't get something down, why not post something up?

For example: A regional moderator just can't think of something to do with a certain section, or is having trouble with a section they've already started... They could post a thread in the RPC and say "I have this idea for said region, this is what I have as an idea. Now, I'd like some idea's for this..."

Member's could have an active say in what the moderator post up for their regions. The mod could either take what the person says and use it, giving them credit of course, or they could take bits and pieces of the information supplied and add their own. Things could get done quickly, and it wouldn't be on so massive a scale as the regional submission thing... but would still affect Althanas to a certain degree.

Artifex Felicis
02-11-07, 10:59 PM
Fallien has a beastiary, as already stated by multiple members.

Fallien has a submission thread AND a beastiery. Submit some monsters.

Not to be something of a smartass, which I realize I kind of am, I think it's more so centered along the lines of all the other regions. At the very least, said beasiaries should be more out in the open, and not hidden in one of the subforums or something.

Rootwalker, man!

Only one =P

Atzar
02-11-07, 11:04 PM
Not to be something of a smartass, which I realize I kind of am, I think it's more so centered along the lines of all the other regions. At the very least, said beasiaries should be more out in the open, and not hidden in one of the subforums or something.

Like, say, the FAQ?

I think that should be completed, personally. That's should be the first thing that newer people look at, and it should be complete to some degree. If a person wants to see a bestiary, the Frequently Asked Questions should be where it is found.

EDIT: Zook's following suggestion would be solved by this, too.

Oh, and... thou hast been ninja'd.

Zook Murnig
02-11-07, 11:05 PM
Speaking of things being hidden, the Althanas map is always hidden away, and it seems that whenever someone needs it, they have to make a thread so Serilliant can post a link to it yet again.

Perhaps throw up a sticky somewhere obvious for the maps?

EDIT: Damnit, ninja'd...

Cyrus the virus
02-12-07, 01:08 AM
On that note, I hate the map and I wish we could rehash Althanas' geography completely. But that's just me.

Range-ah, mods are pretty much free to do that if they want to. I think it's just a matter of preference, there.

Rajani Aishwara
02-12-07, 01:44 AM
Beasty Stuff: While a Beastiery for every region may be a good idea I just think it would be best to leave it up to players to create their own wildlife. Not only will it liberate our creativity, it would help us in our scores if the judge knows that we concieved of the creatures ourselves.

There's also the issue of Beatieries setting limits in terms of formidability in addition to the fantasy monsters already in existance. I love the concept of the golem, but I know Rajani couldn't stand a chance against a golem unless the takedown were elaborate and evasive, and even then perception suggests that I'm going to get a lower score because a level 0 facing off against a golem just doesn't sit right with a judge. I don't want that to happen with original Althanas creatures because even if we did create our own the Beastiery would be there for comparison therefore limiting creativity.

PG HQ's and the PG Wars: Cyrus is right. GP, EXP, and other things given to you just because you're a part of a group isn't really fair, but isn't that what my group is doing through a pracitcal means? Osato, I wouldn't mind there being an HQ to fight over, but guess what. We're fighting over things way more important than that, the entire global market. I guarantee you all IE and Peregrine are still competing. You just aren't looking in the right places.

My Suggestion: I'd like to see some other form of cannon magic besides Raiaera's Istien Song Magic. ICly it seems everyone on Althanas uses magic, so I'd think other cultures would have a defining magical discipline.

Cyrus the virus
02-12-07, 03:51 AM
I like that magic suggestion! I was actually going to incorperate something like that if I won the region contest :p That suggestion's part of the reason why I support the Tap idea, but we all know how people love to complain about it (despite not having valid reasons to)!

Okay, that was low. I was just being bitchy for fun.

I like that idea, though. Would be something I'd love to work on in my spare time, maybe work out things with some region writers to have specific magics. For instance, I'd love to make a specific magic for the Cult of the Sun, and such.

Chidori Draconid
02-12-07, 07:22 AM
I wanted to introduce the concept of glyphic runes with my nation if I won the regional writer's contest. Maybe that concept could be used.

Osato
02-12-07, 07:31 AM
Cyrus is right. GP, EXP, and other things given to you just because you're a part of a group isn't really fair, but isn't that what my group is doing through a pracitcal means? Osato, I wouldn't mind there being an HQ to fight over, but guess what. We're fighting over things way more important than that, the entire global market. I guarantee you all IE and Peregrine are still competing. You just aren't looking in the right places.

Yeah, but funny thing is, I don't really care too much about the stupid war for the "global market". This is fantasy. Controlling the bazaar in radasanth would mean people would just go somewhere else... there is no "global market" in the medieval world. Plus, you are just doing something that has already been done... it's neither original or interesting to me. HQ's would at least interest me, even if there wasn't rewards, though I don't know why there wouldn't be.

And I agree with the magic, though I've been for more strict canon across Althanas for a while... magic would be a good place to start it.

Witchblade
02-12-07, 07:39 AM
Dheathain will have some different types of magics that you can't find in other places on Althanas. For instance, the Draconians will use Blood Magic, I'm still working on something for the Fae besides their regular elemental magic though... that's something I could be open for suggestions on. But I think I need to finish constructing Dheathain and Haide first.

Personally, that is probably my favorite part of creative writing, not only on Althanas but anywhere. There are a lot of members who have too much time (me being one of them) that would LOVE to help. If you are having trouble or can't get something down, why not post something up?

It's not that I don't like this idea, I'm just leery of handing over my baby to someone else. Besides whenever I need to flesh out an idea, I just go hang out with Zerith. Him and I bounce ideas off each other like mad. And trust me, creating new things is something I love doing, but that doesn't mean it's easy especially when you've got plenty of other stuff keeping you occupied, both here and in rl.

The map is something that needs to worked on. Santh keeps saying he wants to do it in C2, but I don't know when that's going to happen...

Rajani Aishwara
02-12-07, 01:17 PM
Yeah, but funny thing is, I don't really care too much about the stupid war for the "global market". That just goes to show how little you're paying attention, and how conceited your mind set is. I know this is a game, but for you to call what we're doing stupid is unecessary and insulting. You're not as clever as you think you are, writing posts that are just short of a flame, and if you provoke me I'll bring down a flame that makes a nuke look like a spark. Consider that your warning. I'm going to return to my regular kind self now.
there is no "global market" in the medieval world.Who said? You? By the way there was a global market in the Roman times when the "globe" was considered as far as the map went.
Plus, you are just doing something that has already been done... it's neither original or interesting to me.I can't help it if I wasn't here when it was last done, but you haven't the right to call the way we're doing it unoriginal. You haven't even payed any attention to it.
And I agree with the magic, though I've been for more strict canon across Althanas for a while... magic would be a good place to start it.I wasn't necessarily suggesting stricter canon, just more to work off of in the ways of cultural/regional magic. For instance read the history of Alerar. I might not have this completely right, but the first Alerarians used a massive ritual to eradicate an indigenous tribe when they moved there. These rituals obviously haven't been forgotten since it's in the anals and it was the largest recorded one in Alerar history. It did them good, right? And their embrace of technology doesn't necessarily mean they reject all magic, so why not make that aspect a little more prominent in the Alerar culture? Perhaps not a school based on ritual magic, but perhaps an elite ritual unit of the Alerar forces, or a local secondary religion based on the highly effective ritual magic?

And speaking of Alerar, it would be great to see more tangible manifestations of their signature technology. It takes a good while to earn a gun (understandably so), and there are only a handful of airships in the sky which we aren't allowed to touch without an elaborate scheme. As far as I know that's the only technology of Alerar, not nearly enough to turn and entire race of elves dark. Where are all the little gadgets that make an Alerarian's life easier (civilian or warrior)? Mechanical limbs, prototype automobiles, blowtorches ect. It would be cool to see the combination of common technology and the native ritual magic.

Cyrus the virus
02-12-07, 02:22 PM
While on the topic of Alerar, I often think to write there and realize I have a hard time differentiating it from the underdark of Forgotten Realms' fame. I envision a black forest and a dark sky. I think some info on the way the region feels, looks, IS, is needed, because I bet I'm not the only person who's felt this way before. What do the buildings look like? Things like that.

Fenris
02-12-07, 10:44 PM
Personally, when I think of Ettermire I picture Manchester in the early 1800's...

But that's off topic. I agree with the map idea--I dunno, looking at the whole world map, the placement of the islands looked kind of arbitrary too me. I couldn't picture the undersea geographic setup...so yeah, some "rehashing" there could be good.

I agree with submittable bestiaries for the other regions, placed in easy-to-find spots if available. Of course, using animals from them in quests wouldn't be mandatory--but world building is ever so much fun, and a lot of people enjoy writing into a world building off of other people's ideas.

Same kinda goes for magic--as long as it didn't limit members' freedom in character creation, it could present some fun content for people to use.

Kak Zalta
02-15-07, 12:15 AM
Hey, I have a good idea.

Ok, not really. This is a sort of bad idea with a good thought behind it that maybe someone else can turn into an actual good idea.

So, is there anything more frustrating that thinking about a great quest, putting some work into it, recruiting people, getting eight posts into it, then half the participants dissappear, never to post again??

What we need is a "Bailer-o-meter"

If some bails on a thread, the other participants in the thread can give the bailer points against their "Bailer-o-meter" This would have no direct effect on a character or account, but then when Captain Smashalot posts in your recruitment thread in the RPC with a "Bailer-o-meter" score of 8372, you know to tell him "Eh...maybe on a quest I haven't put so much work into."

Like I said, bad idea, but maybe there is something to be done to help reduce the amount of inactive/incomplete threads that crop up.

Atzar
02-15-07, 12:44 AM
A mod would have to do it. It would have to work as a warning system - the member messages a mod with reasons why the person should receive points, and then the mod adds them if he/she deems it a valid reason.

I wouldn't trust members to do it. Nineteen of twenty members here may be completely mature and trustworthy, but that twentieth member would A) add points at the slightest pretense or B) do it just because it's funny. After all, it's the internet - people on the other end of the network don't have emotions.....

That aside, it's an interesting idea that, ideally, could work. I just don't know if it would work. It may just not get used, or it may serve to create a rift between the players - something we really don't want. Also, keep in mind that a "bailer" could easily create a new account to carry on ruining people's quests, if he so chose.

dopebeatz
02-15-07, 01:14 AM
Is there some sort of option where news players' posts must be checked out by a moderator before they show up for public view? My posts in OOC forums are held private before they can be checked by mods... I think this is really discouraging! It should be changed if it's a policy. If it's just being put on me... why? Please someone change it!

AdventWings
02-15-07, 06:05 AM
@ dopebeatz: Well, that is a necessary evil... for now.

It's because Althanas has been getting a rash of bot-posting and advertisements from outside sources, mostly from one-post members. Therefore, this policy is in place to keep out most unwanted spam and help keep the forums clean.

After you have a certain number of posts in here, the post-checks are no longer in effect for you. :)

Elrundir
02-15-07, 06:27 AM
Eh, I'm not sure about the bailer-points idea. At the very least there would need to be a way to redeem yourself, as well as some sort of set guideline on how long an absence is considered "bailing", otherwise I think the only real outcome would be driving people away from Althanas in the end (i.e. those who have a good reason for it or just lost their motivation to write in general or whatever). While it would serve the purpose of letting people know who has a history of bailing, I think it would go too far in the direction of villainizing people for their mistakes.

Jasmine
02-16-07, 01:00 AM
The Bazaar War: Personally, I don't give a care about it. Should the IE win, and the prices not be right for me, I'll just go elsewhere. I personally think that fighting a war over who controls the bazaar to be rather dumb, since it won't really change all that much for me.

Balier points: I LOVE this idea, though I do think there should be a way for people to redeem themselves. I've had numerous things fall apart and get such a low score, that it felt like I was getting punished for their abandonment. I also think that members should not be allowed to add to people's bailer points. Members that have a complaint should PM a mod, with a description of the circumstances (ie: how long the person in question has been silent, how often the member has tried to contact the "balier" etc), and the mod decides if the reasons merit balier points. How many points should not be decided on arbitrarily either. It should regulated according to how long the bailer has been absent or something.

World Map Re-Hash: YES!! PLEASE!!! And put it in an easier to find location! I can never find it without using the search engine.

Magic: I agree with the whole idea!! I think it would be a great aid to all magic users if they had some kind of guideline for what magic types are on Althy.

Bestiary: A bestiary for each region would be great. Perhaps stickied in the main subforum? I also like the idea of having a stickied "Bestiary Suggestion/Submission" thread, in which members could submit ideas for creatures they would like to see in the region.

Cyrus the virus
02-16-07, 06:30 AM
The bazaar war is very much a personal storyline for a few people, and I don't think they'd appreciate it being called dumb just because you don't like it, Jasmine. That's kind of mean, isn't it?

Torin Reahkari
02-16-07, 07:00 AM
The Bazaar War: Personally, I don't give a care about it. Should the IE win, and the prices not be right for me, I'll just go elsewhere. I personally think that fighting a war over who controls the bazaar to be rather dumb, since it won't really change all that much for me.

Maybe they were doing the thread(s) without you in mind.

INDK
02-16-07, 09:30 AM
On that note, I hate the map and I wish we could rehash Althanas' geography completely. But that's just me.

Personally, I would just prefer continuity with a lot of this stuff. I hate it more when continents shift, or new mods come in and rewrite history.

Cyrus the virus
02-16-07, 09:41 AM
Also true. That's the reason I'd like to redo it, honestly. Get rid of everything we have and build from scratch (with more than one or two people's input) and edit everything entirely to make it consistent. Lots of work, but totally something I could get excited about.

Zook Murnig
02-16-07, 10:02 AM
As far as I can see, the only problem with the map is that no one can find it, and that the islands are in weird and arbitrary places.

It wouldn't hurt anything to redo the map with Corone, Scara Brae, and Fallien in places that were more geographically sound, then post the new map somewhere like the Role-Player's Corner or something. Stickied.

Raelyse
02-16-07, 10:05 AM
I'd like the Bazaar war to take place on a almost featured quest level so as many people as possible could take place. It can be feasible since so many people can be in the Bazaar at that time and the thousands of would-be heroes we have here, as well as those who like to sit back and pull the strings.

Also, I agree with the map one. I didn't really like either of the old ones, but I wouldn't mind if we didn't have one. Leaves it up to the imagination, you know? I mean, will it really improve your writing to know that Corone is North of Raiaera?

Cyrus the virus
02-16-07, 10:56 AM
I mean, will it really improve your writing to know that Corone is North of Raiaera?

Um... yes.

Atzar
02-16-07, 11:18 AM
I agree with the point about the Bazaar war though - it would be nice to have it on a Feature Quest level. That was the original plan, but we basically tried to jump straight into it without doing any of the preliminary work. Hopefully with the completion of a few threads, we'll be able to bring it to the spotlight again, this time under more... legitimate... circumstances.

Reiko
02-16-07, 11:23 AM
I find the Bailometer an idea that I just don't like. It's just a tool for getting vengeance for a dropped thread and really there needs to be lightening up with that. Threads die, it's a fact of life and I've had plenty of threads die because my partners no longer wished to post or I just lost inspiration for th situation. Althanas is for fun and not homework so we shouldn't go around forcing people, no one joins a thread with the hope that they could ruin the storyline by not posting. If someone bails out then bunny them out of the plot, score be damned twe play here for fun and not scores.

Raelyse
02-16-07, 07:05 PM
Um... yes.

I'm just saying... geography doesn't really play that big of a part. It's just a simple edit, you know?

Raelyse sailed north to Raiaera or Raelyse sailed south to Raiaera, I just don't see the map being that big of a deal.

Jasmine
02-16-07, 11:24 PM
Mean or not, it's my honest opinion. I'm sure I've written stuff that other people thought was totally pointless and/or dumb, but that' their opinion and they are welcome to it.

If the other members in a thread didn't get such a horrendously lowered score for others' lack of participation, it wouldn't bother me. But when I spend more than 3 months trying to get in contact with them and they ignore everything I send, it tends to get frustrating and I absolutely HATE writing people out without contacting them to see if maybe their computer died, and they'd just gotten back at the time I'd finally given up on them.

Cyrus the virus
02-17-07, 07:34 AM
Concerning the bailometer, which is the best name ever, I think of it less as a tool for vengeance than as something to protect others. The biggest problem that I see is if someone gets a high rating and nobody will quest with them anymore. So perhaps it isn't a tremendous idea after all.

The map, I feel, isn't just important for individual quests and events like the one you're talking about, Raerae. Having an Althanas map that's accurate and easy to access just makes the whole world seem more real, more like a place you can envision your character travelling around. Also, the geography is good to know about in cases of war, really broad quests, and things of that nature.

The important thing about opinions is having the wisdom to not always share them. People might not have liked all of your ideas, Jasmine, but I sincerely doubt any of them came right out and insulted them right here on the forum. I don't think it's fair to headhunt like that. Poor Dirks!

I have a suggestion... That Santhalas, Serilliant and the others post here with their thoughts so we can have a sense of what's possible and what's not.

Reiko
02-17-07, 10:12 AM
The Bailometer won't stop people from bailing out, as long as threads get awkward and sometimes inspiration is lost. And what the Bailometer would do is cause players with bad luck to be boycotted, and they need more protection than finishing a thread, yes everybody need to finish threads to more on but a thread dying is not the disaster I see the Bailometer causing to people who leave Althanas for one reason or another and forgot to make an outro or people didn't care about the said outro, I've been bitched at because one person I RPed that was too good to look at the intro/outro page. If he was active and took a nose dive he might return with a huge bailometer and have no one that wants to roleplay with them. It's just a punishment for vengeance, there are things you can do to have a dead thread contribute to the plot, like just move on in a quest with the person, item or spell you would have earned in the dead thread and ask for whatever it is as spoils.

Raelyse
02-17-07, 10:27 AM
I think the Bailometer is a horrendously bad idea. People leave for one reason or another, whether intentional or not, but that's always been a part of roleplaying. You have to learn to deal with it.

No matter how many pros and cons you guys present, I don't think I'd ever support it. It just seems that the punishment or even the bad reputation from it would just cause more pain than good.

Serilliant
02-17-07, 11:50 AM
The 'bailometer' is not happening in any form. You have my permission to stop discussing it now.

Maps aren't my domain, but it's clear that something is desired in this arena. They will be worked on.

Cyrus the virus
02-17-07, 12:11 PM
Can we talk about the bailometer just so I can keep saying the word?

Artifex Felicis
02-17-07, 12:19 PM
Even if the bailometer was allowed, the only places where I could see it being useful were in Tourny battles where someone doesn't say that they're going be gone or something. And even then, an exp decution is better.

In which, ending that particular disscussion, and one that reveals my greedy and more bastardized side. I think the exp points gained for a worthwhile bazaar thread should be higher than 50-75 exp. I know I'm not the greatest of mods for the bazaar, but some people like Christina/Elunder and Letho write some fun posts for the place, and are easily worthwhile of a quest in Corone or something. I just think such stuff should be reawrded a little better. Granted, not as much as a full quest, but 75 exp is CRAP when your level 1 or higher. Or for that matter, level 0.

Cyrus the virus
02-17-07, 12:51 PM
I think that's purely your discretion and we'd all be pretty cool with it. If you want, just throw up a quick mod thread where you bazaar people can discuss it and come to a good median, or something. I always thought the EXP there was cheap!

Elrundir
02-17-07, 01:10 PM
Maybe someone could come up with a formula along the lines of what's used for Quests and Battles. Toned down to a large degree, obviously, so you're not getting thousands of EXP for a Bazaar thread, but something that does include at the very least level, and perhaps some factor for quality at the Bazaar mod's discretion (since you're not going to judge the threads and give them a score, either). So it would be something much simpler than the current formulae, but the EXP would still at least scale up with level and quality and such.

I at least agree that 75 EXP seems a bit limited, though. I mean, if new characters get a bonus it's already 100 EXP, and even then it's little more than a "Hey, I thought this profile was awesome, you get a cookie!" type thing, rather than a huge, tangible boost. Of course, it shouldn't be a huge, tangible boost, but I'm just saying.

Atzar
02-17-07, 01:24 PM
Mean or not, it's my honest opinion. I'm sure I've written stuff that other people thought was totally pointless and/or dumb, but that' their opinion and they are welcome to it.

Why is it dumb? Because it didn't have anything to do with your character? Please... don't slam my ideas in the future. The point of the idea was to amp activity for awhile, and amp activity it did. Whether you like it or not, I think it's been a success so far, and I hope it will continue to do well when it's progressed far enough to bring it to the forefront again. I'd never openly criticize your work in public, and I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd extend me and Dirks the same courtesy.

Sevellus
02-17-07, 06:15 PM
I guess I'm going against the flow at this point, but I would like to see a less structured Althanas.

Or at the very least, the option for a character to chose whether or not he participates in, and/or is affected by, the events in the world.

I dont think all the continents need a detailed history. I really don't think there needs to be a bestiary. Come on. if you're a good roleplayer, you dont need to be told which monsters to fight. You'll make them up. Plus, its redundant if Cyrus the Virus goes to Salvar, fights yetis in his quest, then I go to Salvar, and I fight yetis. then everyone else... you get the idea.

We'll make it up, I dont think we need to be spoonfed, really. I believe it just limits our options. Put that extra energy all you ultra-creative mods have for creating the althanas world, into playing your character. The players (now you included) will shape the world just fine in their own quests.

Magic: I agree with the whole idea!! I think it would be a great aid to all magic users if they had some kind of guideline for what magic types are on Althy.

Whhyyyyyy.... It's a creative writing forum! People can make their own. Do you really need guidelines to say whether or not your character can control nature, shoot fireballs, raise the dead, move things with your mind, or just a mundane power to change people's eye colors at will.

Seriously. If you're talking about making a database, of all the magic people on Althanas use, awesome. I can see that being very handy.

But telling players what types of magic there is?

No way man. If i cast "Burabura" magic, and I'm told that there is another type of magic already in use that is exactly the same but called "Arcane" magic that does the same thing... like, come on, where's the option to be different? The option to think. Or, the requirement to think, more importantly.

Or If you're putting a list of magic in the world so people can make a character and say "hm, what is there to chose from? i dont feel like making my own"

why dont we all just go install Diablo or something and play a video game instead. Spoonfeeding is bad. Thinking and creating for yourself is good.

Karuka
02-17-07, 06:25 PM
I don't see the problem with the bestiary.

Come on, seriously, it is not "Oh, Luc Kraus fought yetis in Salvar, as did Atzar Kellon, Dan (Slayer), Karuka Tida, and a hundred million other people."

A battle v. a monster is NOT about the nature of the beast. It is about how the individual FACES that beast, their own reactions and how they deal with their own fears and worries, as well as the outer threat.

Althanas is a world. You go to Salvar to fight yetis, and you hunt weird water beasts in Istraloth. On Earth, if you want to hunt a lion, you go to Africa, you want a jaguar, you go to south America, if you want a kangaroo, you go to Australia, and if you want a chicken, you go to a grocery store.

Except worlds like this need some structure that doesn't come naturally provided.
So the mods past and present were good enough to create these details FOR you.

And you don't HAVE to have your character affected by everything happening. It's just realistic to do so. But y'know...there were people who denied the Holocaust ever happened. In South Africa, no one knew what was going on to the blacks that tried to resist. Didn't affect them. In America, there are those who deny that the South lost the Civil War, and y'know, there are those in the camp that believe Canada really IS England's bitch.

That said...play your own way, I like the time and effort put into making this forum nice, I like the structure, it helps make the RPing community sound and better quality than places like NS or GUA.

FoxyLady
02-17-07, 06:40 PM
Why is it dumb? Because it didn't have anything to do with your character? Please... don't slam my ideas in the future. The point of the idea was to amp activity for awhile, and amp activity it did. Whether you like it or not, I think it's been a success so far, and I hope it will continue to do well when it's progressed far enough to bring it to the forefront again. I'd never openly criticize your work in public, and I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd extend me and Dirks the same courtesy.

I'm not going to go on with this in this thread, because it's not what this thread is for. If you want to continue to tell me how wrong I am, feel free to PM me or IM me (bikerchic1983 on AIM). It has nothing to do with it not having anything do with my charas, because if I wanted it to, it would. I just don't think it's a great idea, that's all. And I wouldn't care if you slammed my stuff in public, because quite frankly, I don't care what you think about my stuff. I'm sorry, I made known my personal opinion. In the future I won't bother with it in the slightest, since it's obviously BAD to have a not so good opinion of something. I never said that it was absolutely terrible, I just said that it was MY PERSONAL OPINION, but I guess I'm not allowed to show that since it's not an opinion in favor of the Bazaar War.

Whhyyyyyy.... It's a creative writing forum! People can make their own. Do you really need guidelines to say whether or not your character can control nature, shoot fireballs, raise the dead, move things with your mind, or just a mundane power to change people's eye colors at will.

You seem to be missing the point of the idea. It's not to limit characters and say "These are your only options", it's to give a listing of what is commonly used/available in case people are unsure of what is and isn't allowed, at least that's what I'm thinking it is.

Sevellus
02-17-07, 06:40 PM
And you don't HAVE to have your character affected by everything happening. It's just realistic to do so. But y'know...there were people who denied the Holocaust ever happened. In South Africa, no one knew what was going on to the blacks that tried to resist. Didn't affect them. In America, there are those who deny that the South lost the Civil War, and y'know, there are those in the camp that believe Canada really IS England's bitch.

No, thats not what I mean.

What If I'm an elf who's whole goal is to go through life with very idealistic views. I want to slowly change his perceptions. At first, he doesnt know war. Has never seen death. His problems are trivial.

Then say... level 8, I want to write my own war in Raiaera. I want it to be against ogres. And I only want it to involve me and the 3 people I'm questing with. But I cant, because Raiaera has a war now. And they probably arent going to have one later against ogres. I'm screwed by history.

Its natural to get defensive. Something was created, and a loooot of work was put into it, and its great writing. but I'm starting to see my character being trapped into a role, until eventually, we're all just characters in althanas' story instead of althanas being the backdrop to ours. and its all great, because the people who write continents write something they want to take part in. but what about the people who dont? shuold we just become very familiar with the other regions?

I would like to see less structure, or the option to ignore world events and not be penalized for it. All I'm saying. Please dont be offended if you're one of the continent writers. Remember, not everyone is obligated to agree. But we do see the work you do.

Karuka
02-17-07, 06:42 PM
Well, nothing saying that in the forever it's gonna take you to get to level 8, you won't be able to write yourself a little shindig against the ogres in Raiaera with the three other people in the quest.

Just don't expect it to affect everyone else.

Sevellus
02-17-07, 06:44 PM
Well, nothing saying that in the forever it's gonna take you to get to level 8, you won't be able to write yourself a little shindig against the ogres in Raiaera with the three other people in the quest.

Just don't expect it to affect everyone else.

EXACTLY! It doesn't pretain to your character. It doesnt work for you. it gums up the works. why would i expect you to take part in it? (by you, i mean whoever's reading this. not karuka)

Ashiakin
02-17-07, 07:33 PM
I had tried to post in this thread shortly after it was first put up, but a strange technical glitch prevented me from doing so. I made individual replies to about ten people in this thread, although it now seems they won't ever be seen. So I am just going to give my opinion as Regions Admin on the major issue that seems to have cropped up in this thread: should Althanas be more clearly defined more open-ended, should we have a set universal world or flexible individual ones?

Here is how I feel: The way Althanas functions (OOC and IC) makes a more open-ended, flexible, individually-based world the best way to operate. A more clearly defined, universal Althanas is both impractical and undesirable for reasons I will explain presently. (Those of you who know me may be a little surprised by that since I used to be an advocate of the exact opposite position, but well, over the years I've changed my mind.)

I think the biggest reason we can't have a more clearly defined Althanas (with synching calenders, locked and unchangeable regions, history, etc.) is because of the manner in which regions is staffed. While regions has pretty much been staffed the same way since the beginning of Althanas (one person running one region, sometimes with less powerful writers under them) I still think it's the most practical way to staff regions. Multiple writers of equal or more equal power in regions, which would be required to get more "stuff" done, would just result in personality and creative conflicts that would lock the region down.

The fact that our regions staff is not constant is also a major reason we cannot have a more set canon. I mean, if someone who created and wrote for a region leaves, we have to hire someone else to run that region. We can't tell them "okay, you have to keep everything EXACTLY the same." That's so horribly constricting that it's just counter-productive. I mean, they may not even like what's been written. Writing staff members are always going to leave, which means things will have to change.

Now, the argument can be made that when a region matures, we should "lock" the actual info and just hire mods that run events and keep things organized, rather that write new material. That's not a bad argument. It's something that I'd consider. But I think that outside of Raiaera, none of our continents are yet that mature. It's an idea for the future. It's still a little ways off.

Our regions writers are people too. They do other stuff on Althanas besides run their regions. They role-play, too! So sometimes things move at a glacial pace around here, but it's nothing that can be helped so it's nothing to worry about. Just because something isn't a part of the overall canon of Althanas doesn't mean you cannot incorporate it into your stories yourself. Even if no one else decides to act like what you're doing is true or real in their own stories.

I really feel like if people want somewhere to role-play that has more structure, a large site like Althanas isn't the place for them. You should role-play on free boards with small groups of your friends for stuff like that. Or I'm sure we could set up a place like that on Althanas if people show that sort of interest.

Now, should people be allowed to ignore over-arching events that regions writers have set out? I'm not so sure about that. But that does not mean that people can't make their own events that may conflict with them a little. I really don't see the point in being that overbearing about how Althanas works.

Elrundir
02-17-07, 09:37 PM
I thought the magic idea was to give an idea of the types of magic practised in the different regions, such as the fact that song magic is practised in Raiaera...

At any rate, this idea of "destructuring" Althanas fills me with unease, to tell you the truth. I agree that there's no sense in structuring everything to the extreme, but the idea that someone could just start a topic where a nation's at war with another nation, even if there's a war already going on (which would likely be ignored) or if there's no reason for them to be at war... it seems like it would be a step in the wrong direction. Person A decides he wants to have Raiaera at war with Alerar, but Person B finds that boring, so Alerar is at war with Corone instead. Then, just for fun, Person C inadvertently brings down a futuristic alien attack all over the planet. All three events would, almost without doubt, be completely independent and exclusive of each other.

Now, that's a pretty extreme example, but as it's not entirely excluded from one idea that's already been presented, it might as well be brought up. If you creep away from at least some degree of structure, things like that will happen eventually. There has to be some limit in place. I've always felt that Althanas has hit the proper balance as it is. I mean, I haven't personally seen anyone's quest get closed because the region mod said "Nope, that can't happen here, sorry!" At least as long as nobody tries to run a quest where they go assassinate the High Bard Council or the new Aleran king or whatever (just as examples). Outside of those sorts of things it seems you have the freedom you'd need. So, at the very least, I could never in good conscience agree to removing at least that barrier. I mean, I'm sorry, but if Corone is in a state of war, I would find it extremely difficult to read, participate in, or objectively judge a thread in Corone that completely and utterly ignores that fact (again, just as an example, and of course referring only to threads that don't start before such an event begins).

I'll go out on a limb and say that if Althanas was unstructured, I wouldn't even want to play here. It's the structure that makes it fun. If I want to write about a world where I have control over everything that happens, has happened, and will happen, I'll go write a novel. The fact that there's a shared experience, some sort of... continuity, that's what makes it interesting to me. At least I personally don't see what's so restrictive about Althanas as it is right now.

Ashiakin
02-17-07, 11:53 PM
To be clear, Elrundir, I am not advocating any sort of "destructuring." I'm merely arguing for maintaining the status quo. Perhaps I misspoke in my previous post. I would never allow for someone to invent a war between Alerar and Raiera that the respective regions writers said did not exist. In fact, I think all of the judges would know to take off a lot of points for something like that. All I'm saying is that if someone wants to invent a war between two organizations or whatever they make up and it happens to take place in Corone without the Corone writer's permission, that would be fine. That kind of thing has happened all the time in the past and will likely continue to happen in the future.

Elrundir
02-18-07, 12:56 AM
Ah, okay then. In that case, that's pretty much what I was rooting for in the first place, so yay! :P

AdventWings
02-18-07, 09:36 AM
Ow, my eyes... O_<;

OK, so to sum things in the discussion:

- Althanas should maintain its status quo between semi-structured continuity and interrelationship between different events.

- Categorize the currently existing magic bases as examples for new members who would like to know what is being used in the current continuity. Not what they must use, mind you. This would just be in-use examples.

- Regional Beastiaries for those needing ideas what is found where. Normal Earth flora and fauna exist in similar conditions on Althanas, but there should also be lists of region-specific creatures for some unique variety.

- Overreaching Regional Story Arcs... Should have some effect on the storylines occuring during the Story Arcs unless there is enough reason not to have any direct/indirect effects on said storyline. Examples: A rebellion in Concordia will certainly have some form of disruption on the Peaceful Promenade but will practically have no effect on the Dwarven Mines up in Radasanth. Use your brain and your creativity to work it out.

- When writing stories that will likely have overreaching effects on a region, communication with the Region Moderator/Region Writer (or both in some cases) for permission and suggestions. That way, any effects that carry over may be cannonized into the Althanas Continuity.

OK, that sums up what I believe will work and some discussions put forth by most of us here. If I forgot anything, please civilly and politely reply to this post. :)

Kak Zalta
02-18-07, 07:10 PM
Cyrus- I appreciate for the name, even if the idea was an admittedly bad one. I was hoping someone might suggest some other less horrible idea for discouraging bailing, but I guess that is going to be an accepted part of Althanas. Although, I would say it is substantially discouraging to new members to try to get involved in something then have it die a quick and uneventful death.

Oooh..I just had an idea. This isn't a structural change at all, just something for all of us to do.

All the consistent writers should create a new character. This character's only goal is to complete threads with newcomers to Althanas. Don't work too hard on your posts, just write something that is coherent and not terrible and FINISH the thread so that new writers get to finish something. Then they are hooked.

Beastiary: Beastiary is a GREAT idea. The thing that would make it bad is if you could use ONLY the creatures from the beastiary, which I don't think anyone has proposed. However, if you are like me (I like consistency) I would like to have an idea of the types of creatures that inhabit a region, even if it is just to give me some rough guidelines for creating my own creatures for the region to use in a quest.

Maps: Maps are great. We need more maps.

Magic: Compiling a set of common magics is a good idea in the same vein as the beastiary. Providing consistent ideas, as long as we are not limited by them, is good. This has also given me an idea for a new character that will utilize the little known strain of magic known as "Fruit Magic." Watch for it, it is coming.

Big Quests/Overarcing Stories/Bazaar War: I think these should be encouraged and their influence should be increased. However, if someone is going to execute one, I think the Regional Mod/Big Person Runing the Thing needs to find a group of people BEFOREHAND that will be committed to running the thing through. They don't have to be involved in the planning or anything, just enough to know that there character will fit.

Once it is started, those people can provide a bit of a driving force to the storyline, giving everyone else who wants to join the story somewhere to fit into. FOr example: What happened to the Bazaar War?? I tried to join into the fray here: The Rise of the IE (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=3380) That thread seems to have died in very unresolved fashion. I looked around for other Bazaar War stuff going on, but didn't find any. If people are going to care about the Bazaar War (or any featured quest/big story/etc. etc. stuff), it has to be visible and keep going.

Basically, if people want to write things that have large scale/regional effects, they have to be dedicated to doing it. If you aren't dedicated to pulling it off and carrying it through, then those big story lines aren't for you.

Zook Murnig
02-18-07, 07:56 PM
The thread was actually resolving when you posted. And it would have gotten crap scores anyway. Might as well just leave that one be and start up a fresh endeavor, perhaps the FQ that's been suggested. And I'd like to see the Citadel war.

AdventWings
02-18-07, 09:04 PM
Ahhh... Yes. Then Map. :p

Well, that is one of the biggest quirks that's been eating at my brains as well as the Girls. For now, the most current maps will have to do... But we really need a new map that is stickied to the RPC or something.

Man, where did I put that link...?!

Eh, I'll get the link up here sooner or later. I have another Finals Paper to do in five or so hours so I can't stay on any longer. Believe me, the mind is not fresh after you pull through a 36-hour day with no sleep...

EDIT: Thanks, Lucien. :)

Lucien
02-18-07, 09:10 PM
Link to map. (http://www.althanas.com/images/maps/northalthanaspreview.jpg)

I'll stay quiet for now. Just know I bookmarked that 'cause I always lose it.

Cielalune
02-19-07, 01:17 AM
P:! Cute map!

Hmm, if there would ever be a beastiary, I could always offer up to draw some of the monsters. I was actually thinking of making a monster encyclopedia for Althanas for the longest. Mind that I improve on drawing other creatures.

I'm pretty much satisfied with Althanas (other than the long driving wait of bring judge, then again, I'm slow to requests as well and understand that everyone has lives.) So, carry on the good work people!!

Rajani Aishwara
02-19-07, 06:31 PM
Let's see what we have here...

Bail - o - meter: Oh shit I said it! (Don't worry there's a point.) Kak Zalta, you're right it is a bit extreme, and you should be applauded for having the guts to introduce it. I've been thinking about it for a minute, and I think there may be a more moderate way to encourage consistent activity on the site. If the activity(or lack there of) affects the quality of the thread the judges can use the Wild Card category to address it. If someone bails out on a quest, give them a zero for the Wild Card category and tell them why.

Bazaar: I know I know I know it looks like its dead, but the Peregrine Group has about four threads going on at this very moment concerning that issue. It was six, but they were completed. Some of them are kind of secretive so we didn't want to tell you guys. And Just for your information it stretches way beyond the Bazaar & Citadel in Corone.

Magic: I think some of you are missing the point of what was being proposed. #1 The proposed canon magic is not intended to limit player's creativity by limiting them to select magic styles. #2 I think trying to create a comprehensive database of every player concieved magic style is going to be futile, time consuming, and unnecessary unless there is a type that is currently very popular among players.

I can't speak for anyone else, but what I originally proposed wouldn't lead to either of the above. Istien doesn't limit Atzar Kellon from using every -mancy under the sun, does it? So why would it be difficult to make something like that for the others?

I heard about a school that taught the reading and utilization of runes in Corone.

I read about the rituals in the Alerar of antiquity.

I read about the battles of magic that took place across the icy planes of Salvar.

I'd like to see something current and tangible made out of those.

I think Witchblade hit the nail on the head with the Dheathain Synthesis and Crystal Manipulation. Although I would love more detail it's exactly what I'm talking about. As soon as I read that I was like "MAMA I WANT I WANT!" and about four quest ideas came to mind. It didn't limit my creativity, it encouraged it.

Ataraxis
02-19-07, 07:06 PM
I compiled a list of maps in another thread, but I'll put it back up here. If anyone wants to make their own maps, you can use these as references without having to dig through the site. IT was painful enough on my own, I don't want other people to go through that.

Here are all the maps I know of.

Althanas (http://www.althanas.com/images/maps/northalthanaspreview.jpg)

Alerar (http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alerarmap9wj.jpg)

Salvar (http://www.althanas.com/images/maps/salvar.png)

Raiaera (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=670)

Fallien, Corone and Scara Brae (http://althanas.com/world/faq.php?faq=althanasalmanac#faq_alfall)

Some don't match the general overview of Althanas (notably, Salvar which looks way thinner) but it should give you a general idea. Otherwise, for the descriptions, look in each Region's stickies with titles that refer to geography.

You're lucky I looked for all of them for my solo. ;)

Ashiakin
02-19-07, 08:05 PM
I never noticed it before, but the positioning of Salvar/Alerar/Raiaera on that map is pretty off... Salvar should only have a southern border with Alerar. Raiaera should be to the southeast of Alerar and have no border with Salvar. And Salvar is too thin.

Rajani Aishwara
02-19-07, 11:07 PM
That's not to mention the Tular Plains is all out of date, but like Serillant said this is all being worked on. Still it's good to know where things are.

Moonlit Raven
02-23-07, 11:38 AM
If members that are visibly familiar and active with a certain region, perhaps they could be deputized as sub continent writers to assist the main continent writer. With Mod or Admin approval of course. Such as working with the history and regional information the content writer has started and writes out additions that the continent writer may or may not use at history her discretion.

That may help ease the strain on the continent writer and hasten the completion of incomplete continents.

Reiko
02-23-07, 11:42 AM
If members that are visibly familiar and active with a certain region, perhaps they could be deputized as sub continent writers to assist the main continent writer. With Mod or Admin approval of course. Such as working with the history and regional information the content writer has started and writes out additions that the continent writer may or may not use at history her discretion.

That may help ease the strain on the continent writer and hasten the completion of incomplete continents.

I like that idea, also it'll make the continents more varied too. I think the biggest problem with most the regions is they mostly feel like a single nation with set ways and if there were sub writers then there would be more options in a region and might increase the popularity of the non-Corone regions.

Ashiakin
02-23-07, 12:06 PM
To a certain extent, people who are very active/interested in regions are already rewarded like that by writers. I'm all for that sort of thing as long as the player's material is approved by the main writer of the region. On this note, though, I think it's important to bring up the fact that more writers within a region will inevitably result in less cohesion and structure (which I don't mind as long as it isn't a mess.)

Atzar
02-23-07, 01:05 PM
I like that idea, also it'll make the continents more varied too. I think the biggest problem with most the regions is they mostly feel like a single nation with set ways and if there were sub writers then there would be more options in a region and might increase the popularity of the non-Corone regions.

They are single nations, for the most part... aren't they?

I don't think added diversity would solve anything; rather, I think it would just make each region more complicated because there would be more info to dig through. Althanas has always (to my knowledge) been this way. Want magic? Raiaera. Want guns? Alerar. Fallien is the desert with cool glass weaponry, you can own your own personal land in Salvar, and Corone... well, anything can happen in Corone. Dheathain and Istraloth will/do have their own quirks. Each region has its own benefits that draw people to it.

Keep in mind that this option-crazy Corone isn't so much due to its sub-regions. What does it have? Akashima, Radasanth and Concordia, for the most part. Most, if not all, of the other regions have similar areas. The big advantage Corone has is every character fits in there in some way, so it requires minimal effort to write a character with the given information.

Rajani Aishwara
02-23-07, 01:37 PM
The big advantage Corone has is every character fits in there in some way, so it requires minimal effort to write a character with the given information. Here's where I'd like to turn the tables a bit. Instead of requesting something of the administration I'd like to request something of the players. Stop clinging on to Corone. We wouldn't be worrying about dead regions if everyone just stopped making excuses for attempting to branch out. I once told Chidori that I didn't have an IC reason to be in Alerar and he called me a "lazy cowardly pussy who couldn't write his way out of a paper bag". There was more to him bitching me out, but by the end of the conversation I saw his point, and now I have a hard time swallowing that excuse from others. Now I'm not going out on a limb to say that about everyone who sticks to Corone, but face it. He's somewhere in the ballpark of being right. Why do we make that excuse so often when we're asked to do something outside of Corone? Because...

(A) We have to take some time and effort to imagine our character somewhere else. (laziness)

(B) We run the risk of discontinuity with the established canon. (cowardice)

Basically if we want to see an end to the constant in and out of regional forums then we need to give them our activity and stop using Corone as a crutch.

AdventWings
02-26-07, 05:06 AM
@ Rajani: Touche`. A tad harsh, but I agree.

OK, me stop spamming now. :p

Chidori Draconid
02-27-07, 12:22 PM
I didn't inted on words like that to reach the eyes of Althanas. Me and Rajani are roomates and good friends, so I can take the liberty to talk to him like that just as he can.

Nevertheless I'm not taking any of it back.