PDA

View Full Version : Pov

Karuka
02-13-07, 12:48 AM
Well, title can be a wee bit cryptic.

Basically, when you write, what point of view do you favor?

Personally, I go for 3rd person limited.

First person feels too boxy, 3rd omniscient doesn't feel intimate enough.

I like to dip into the character's thoughts and feelings during the narrative, and not get too much into anyone else's thoughts and feelings, although actions are fair game.

What about the rest of you?

Atzar
02-13-07, 01:17 AM
3rd person. Omniscient, I guess.

I'm going to try 1st person at some point. Sometimes it feels really natural to write 1st person, other times it doesn't work at all.

We'll see.

Thermal Undies
02-13-07, 01:34 AM
For me, I think it depends on the type of story you're writing. I started writing a cyberpunk story one time (I still intend to work on it, I've just been too busy), and it's all in first person. A different story I wrote (still not finished), more (futuristic and) militaristic, is in third.

AdventWings
02-13-07, 07:03 AM
I've done 3rd limited and 1st limited. Each have their strength and weaknesses, but I'm not entirely fixed on a single style or anything. Haven't tried 2nd limited yet, but I think it'll work more for RPG games that are... Umm, well... low-end. ^_^;

hamnat
02-13-07, 07:11 AM
Limited 3rd person. I tried 1st person, but I wasn't very good.

Zook Murnig
02-13-07, 08:20 AM
Third person limited. That's pretty much standard for RPing.

And Atzar, from what I've read of yours, I thought you wrote in third person limited. Omniscient implies that the narrator knows everything that's happening, as I understand it.

Reiko
02-13-07, 08:56 AM
3rd person what ever. For this character it's required as to not draw too much focus from her children. Though I really miss 1st person, never had the courage to go back.

Ashiakin
02-13-07, 09:33 AM
In role-playing, I mostly use third person limited. There are a few occasions when I use third person limited omniscient (primarily when I need the reader to know something that my main character couldn't possibly know.) I've been musing about making a character that would use third person omniscient to help me work on story-telling.

Usually, I don't think second person or first person are effective techniques in role-playing. First person can be quite effective in general fantasy writing, though (as in The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe, for example.)

Atzar
02-13-07, 11:44 AM
Third person limited. That's pretty much standard for RPing.

And Atzar, from what I've read of yours, I thought you wrote in third person limited. Omniscient implies that the narrator knows everything that's happening, as I understand it.

I dip into omniscient sometimes when I need to say something that Atzar doesn't know about. Or, I write pieces from the point of view of a different character that Atzar is about to interact with. I just call it omniscient.

Elrundir
02-13-07, 02:49 PM
Third person limited. I've thrown in a dash of omniscience from time to time too. I don't think I've ever written in first-person of any kind... at least, not that I can recall. And my brain fails to fathom how you'd role play (or even write, outside of choose-your-own-adventure books) in second-person. Maybe GMing or something, I guess, if that counts.

dopebeatz
02-15-07, 01:12 AM
First person limited and my PC is not the speaker.