PDA

View Full Version : A Special, Simple Request

Storm Veritas
02-20-07, 10:12 AM
Time had passed since he'd been around the bazaar, and Storm had held some hesitation from showing up at all. The last time he was around these parts, his horse and he were chased at the behest of several constables.

This time he was wiser, a bit more well prepared. His purchase would raise red flags all over town, as a man of his distinctive abilities had raised hell and razed half of Radasanth.

So the child would do the work for him.

He had found the doe-eyed wanderer as a street urchin, and approached the lad with a simple enough proposition. He would give the boy two hundred coins to pay for items that should cost no more than fifty, and the lad could keep the change. Of course, he wouldn't be far from the transaction, less the boy be ripped off completely.

So a scruff-faced miscreant in the form of Storm Veritas stood by a spice rack, sophomorically investigating herbs he had no desire in. Erstwhile, the lad walked through the door of the small leatherworker hut. With a news-carrier's cap and battered overalls over his tiny eight year old frame, the lad approached the counter. With large blue beacons blasting out from the most tortuously innocent face Veritas had ever seen, the boy spoke in a high, pitched, confident squeal.

"Scyooooze me!? Is anyone back there?? Alo!?"

Storm couldn't stifle his smile completely.

Shit, that kid's pretty damned good.

AdventWings
02-23-07, 06:45 AM
"Ey~? Whot's ya think I look like, kiddo? A ginormouus stuffed teddy behr?"

The storekeeper grunted from behind the counter, poking his head out from the back of the weathered oak countertop. One would think a man of such importance would get noticed sooner or later, but upon hindsight the possibility was not so far-fetched.

Trennor slammed his hands against the counter and hoisted himself up, revealing the dwarf's tough-looking smirk and hardy form.

"So, laddie? Whaddaya need?"

Storm Veritas
02-23-07, 09:32 AM
The boy smiled, looking up. His tender eyes burst with bright light, that soft blue radiance that sort of sang out intelligence. Behind his roughshod clothes, the lad had almost an air of nobility. He spoke with confidence, oblivious to the risk that dealing with such a large man brought forth.

Of course, the fact that one of the most dangerous men in all the land stood behind him didn't hurt.

"Well, mister... My dad's birthday is coming up, and I wanted to get him something. I even thought of the A+ perfect gift, and boy'o- he's gonna love it! But it's kind of... complicated..."

With this the boy removed his cap, a big mop of dirty blonde tresses falling over his face. He thumbed his hat through his fingers while he looked at the floor.

God-damn, that boy is good...

"My dad is a smithy, and works very hard. He always bangs up his hands and feet at work - but he's too proud to wear heavy gloves and shoes - wants to be a tough guy, you know?

"Anyways, I need to get him some gloves and boots. Leather is fine, nice and soft, good stuff. Black. Mom helped me a little with the money, so I think I can get pretty neat gear.

"But it needs to be lined - metal lined - at the fingertips and at the soles of the feet. It will keep him from piercing his fingertips and feet on all the nails and hot pokers and metal slivers around the shop. Plus, if the boots and gloves look nice, he can wear the boots to dinner. He'll love 'em!"

The boy was proud now, standing a full four-foot-three. He was proud, with that movie star smile beaming across his face. His voice even chirped a bit at the end of his explanation, a little idiosyncracy that really impressed Storm.

Veritas, at the end of the small room, carefully glanced at some tattered armor, while slowly lurking closer to here the repose of the shop-keep.

AdventWings
02-24-07, 03:38 AM
Trennor glanced curiously at the kid, taking in his story as well as the details of his "gift to Daddy."

The gruff merchant nodded, his beard-covered chin bobbing in acknowldgement of the boy's plight. The true intention never discovered.

"Right-ho, kid. Ai've got watcha need."

Trennor hopped down from the counter and waddled off towards a row of leatherware, straining to each the second shelf where the gloves laid in neatly-arranged rows. Glancing at a few of them, the Dwarf tossed some back and brought the rest to hs young customer.

"Aye, laddie. Here ye go."

The iron-lined gloves and boots were close to what the young boy had wanted, albiet rather simple in design. It would not be exactly the kind of clothing style for a luxurious outing, but it would be more than adequate for going about with not much hassle. The fine craftsmanship more than makes up for the lack of decoration and durability was nothing to be worried about.

"Tha gloves be fifty-two an' tha bootz are sixty pieces, kiddo." Trennor smiled through his thick brown beard, stretching himself to a full three-foot-seven with pride. "That be a total o' hunderd an' two fer all dat. Sounds good enuf, aye?"

Storm Veritas
02-24-07, 07:26 PM
The little boy listened to the gruff old man. The dwarf was at least forty, which to the lad was one and-a-half feet in the grave. He wouldn't be long, now.

Fifty two and sixty - one hundred and two? Last I checked that was one twelve!?

A confused look to the lad, who glanced up at the now bearded supporter by the door. Storm Veritas was long and lean, but held a grizzled look for the moment. Behind a thick chin of brown whiskers, he smiled an winked at the adorable tot.

"One-oh-two it is then, boy."

Nothing more would need to be said. The cheerful young cherub popped a hand up and slapped a large, shiny silver coin on the counter. One hundred points for the pretty one. Beside it, two golden coins. He was even, and snatched the surprisingly light gloves and boots. They barely felt metal-filled, but the fingertips were incredibly hard. He hoped they were the right size, but noticed leather straps and buckles at the wrists and ankles.

Adjustable, how clever!

"Thanks mister!"

With a jubilant smile and a hop, the boy skipped out of the small shop. He met there with Storm, who happily slid the glove over his hand. It was a snug fit, in hands that seemed impossibly large to the youth.

"Very good, boy. VERY good. You'll make a fine apprentice some day. For now, keep the change."

The eyes of the boy widened, impossibly blue and almost saccharine sweet. Thirty extra gold pieces was more than he could make in a month. This Storm Veritas character was certainly the nicest man in all of Althanas. He gave the embarassed, tall man a hug about the thigh before he sprinted off to his friends playing stickball behind the toycart.

((Feel free to deduct 132 for the transaction, to assist payment for the boy. Not like I'll put it to good use!))

AdventWings
02-25-07, 08:27 PM
Trennor smirked as the boy left, tending to the payment that was ten short of the full price. The old Dwarf did not make the wrong calculation - his mind was still fresh and his eyes did not deceive him. He just thought the boy could use the slight discount.

Not many-a kids buyin' thoughful gifts fer tha dad, nowadayz...

The old-timer shrugged nonchalantly and went about his usual tasks, tending the shelves and checking on his wares. It would be another long day ahead for everyone, but at least he made the young boy's day.

---

((Transaction Completed.

Storm Veritas loses 132 gold pieces and receives his iron-lined gloves and boots.

Storm receives 100 EXP))