PDA

View Full Version : The Archeologists

Rajani Aishwara
02-24-07, 12:55 AM
There is no endeavor, no undertaking, and no pursuit greater than that of tapping into an industry in its infantile stages. Not only is there the possibility of history rewarding you by calling you a pioneer, but you will be one of the first to gain a hold on those resources for a true entrepreneur pursues something outside the common mind set.

– Avanti Aishwara

Despite its location nestled in the deep and dark rainforest of Luthmor, Donnalaich was a city of extravagant luminosity. Crystal structures amplified the mid day sun’s rays as if they were incandescent, tall windows allowed the light to enter in great volume, and prisms created an image not unlike that of a kaleidoscope. The grey stone would otherwise appear to be lifeless for its age could not be hidden. The organic curves of the city’s stone architecture were plagued with fissures and decaying corners, which could only be reversed and mended by temporal fabric. Time was that one force unstoppable, but it seemed as though this perfectly polished stone aged better than some women, still standing tall and proud.

Donnalaich was also a city of giant fairies. These peculiar Fae were reminiscent of the pixies of fairy tales, sauntering about with membranes that resembled insect wings. But now in this time of new discovery, when the international community was introducing itself to Dheathain a new pair of wings would enter the capital of the Fae. In a world of fairy wings stood a young man with a pair of falcon wings that could only be seen by the third eye. Clad in the colors of the Peregrine, Rajani Aishwara floated across the floor of the Great Hall of Enchanting in a cloak of pearl white and mahogany brown. He found his way below one of the smaller statues and settled himself there.

Rajani was never one to jaunt about aimlessly. He was never one to take vacations, or to see places simply for the matter of seeing them. Even if such was his original intention, some conception was bound to plague his mind. This trip to Dheathain was no exception.

“Rajani Aishwara?” A docile feminine voice roused the entrepreneur from his brainstorm. He looked up to see a female Fae looking at him with a smile. “Leader of the Peregrine Group?”

“Yes.” Rajani said in a reluctant voice as he took a slow step forward and visually sized up the young woman. This woman was of a peculiar color scheme. Her hair was a deeper pink than cotton candy, and her eyes were deeper lavender than the dye itself. She reminded him of something a child would paint. Nevertheless, this was not who he arranged to meet. He was expecting humans, and many of them. “To whom do I owe this acquaintance?”

“I’m Donalda of the Eavan House, but I come to you as a representative of the Comataidh nan Roinnean.” Rajani stiffened up and crossed his arms over his cloak as she released the mouthful title of the local power. “I’m assuming by that reaction you know that the nan Roinn is the region’s governing power. Ever since this influx of ‘treasure hunters’ we’ve been conscious of the foreigners that have entered the city limits.”

“Please don’t concern yourself with my wellbeing,” Rajani said with a confident smile. “I know fully of the dangers I and my team face treading the city’s ruins.”

“Trust me when I say we won’t lose any sleep over such matters.” Donalda’s soft and quiet voice was a direct contrast from her assertive and cold language. It reminded Rajani of one the crewmates on his ship, the spunky Head Cook Mohana Colville. The sole difference was that Mohana never fabricated a façade such as a soft voice to hide her blunt and forward demeanor. “Word has it that you’ll be in league with Lehaim Alrajem, son of the legendary archeologist Mohammed Alrajem, which leads us to believe that you may have a chance at success in Donnalaich’s ruins. I’m inclined to inform you that the Comataidh nan Roinnean reserves the right to claim anything you find in our ruins. Now that the world knows of our existence, we need to be able to defend ourselves, and there may be items of tactical value in there.”

Rajani leaned forward to meet Donalda’s height. She was only up to the Avalonian’s shoulders. “I must respectfully refuse to follow such a decree. By effect if we enter the ruins at our own peril we reserve the right to ownership of all that we find. Not only are we toiling with our own mortal coil we will be fulfilling a crucial social service by clearing a new suburb for the ever growing population of civilians in Donnalaich. Fund my operation and you will get anything of tactical value.”

“I’m sorry, Peregrine Aishwara. This isn’t a negotiation. This is an order.” Donalda’s lavender eyes narrowed in anger, but it failed to strike fear into Rajani’s heart. It did just the opposite. He couldn’t help but smile in amusement at the comical scene.

He walked back to the base of the statue and leaned over with a hand on the statue and a hand on his hip. “I beg to differ, Madame Eavan. Act as a true herald, send the nan Roinn my appeal with an exact tongue, and we will see whether they react with an iron fist or an olive branch.”

A growl of suppressed rage crept out of the tiny red lips of the Fae female as she turned away and sunk into the rainbow canvas of her people crowding the busy atrium of the Great Hall of Enchanting. In the most honest of terms Rajani was in no need of funding. He would find sufficient fortune in his enterprise.

Gadgeteer Mikami
02-26-07, 09:56 PM
Tak tak tak tak…

Dheathain… A land rumored to have risen straight from the deep abyss, from the very depths of Lore itself and into the full dawn of civilization. A land said to be populated by strangely-winged people and ferocious beasts only found in the ancient legends from before. A land full of mystery and wonders the modern world could only attribute to pure magical wonder. A land said to hold ancient relics of time long forgotten

“Kya~!!! I’m late~ I’m late~!!!”

The prospect of such inspirational finds led many “treasure hunters” flocking to the newly-discovered country, some armed with an entire fleet of frigates while others with only their wits and determination. Treasure hunting could do much to the mortal mind.

Even the usually indifferent Akashimans seemed to be set into a frenzy by its mere mention.

Tak tak tak tak…

Reina was one of the many who were drawn in by the news, her heart immediately jumped at the excitement of discovering long-forgotten relics and technology that she could toy with, something she had been seeking for much-needed inspiration. One could only find so much in a culture driven by machines as advanced as cranks and pulleys. She needed to see something new. Something the civilizations of old had invented and long forgotten. She would be the one to rediscover it – Reinvent it and call it her own.

She wanted to be known… like her Uncle Hajime was with his prodigious clockworks skills.

I hope I’m not too late~! Where is that place~?!

The young Akashiman gadgeteer’s mind raced as she bounded down the populated streets, the large canvas pack bouncing rhythmically against her back as she popped around from one crossroad to another. Sweat dribbled along the side of her head, dripping off her cute pointed chin and staining the white undershirt with a growing ring of off-white hue. Reina never knew the Dheathain air could be so warm, but she dismissed her exhaustion to the fact she had been lugging a gigantic pack from all the way home to go on this expedition.

“Ehh~ This is hopeless…” The tinkerer sighed, leaning against the side of a tree in exhaustion as the others looked on in perplexed criticism. It was not everyday the residents here would see a young girl running around with a huge pack. Then again, Dheathain nowadays was anything but the usual deal.

“No… I can’t give up now… I have to find Mr. Aishwara!”

Reina had seen a notice back in the streets of Radasanth about the Peregrine Group, the first mention of the seemingly influential power came with news of a group of money-hungry men attacking the Citadel. She was not sure how the entire ordeal started out, but it seemed the Peregrine Group was there to stop the take over. News also had it that they were headed for the New Land on a mission to start a new enterprise, capitalizing on the long lost wealth and culture of the old.

Reina would very much like a part of the so-called Long Lost Wealth. Almost as much as she wanted to be part of such intrepid group of amazing people.

But first, she would have to find the leader of the Peregrine Group. Wherever he may be.

Hey... I know! He's probably at the main structure... thing.

Reina whipped her tired head about, trying to regain her bearing in the city full of ancient stones. She heard that the Peregrine leader was around here somewhere. Knowing him, there could only be one place where he could be...

Without another word, the tired young gadgeteer bounced onto her feet and sped away towards the Great Hall of Enchanting. Hopefully, her involvement would do more to help the great entrepreneur's enterprise than hinder.

Corvus MacCallum
03-03-07, 11:22 AM
This place was great!... nothing makes a weirdo by regular society standards feel more comfortable than being surrounded by creatures people only believed when they were children. It also worked quite nicely considering the fierce temperature, the Highlanders tongue working quickly to try and shed as much heat as he could, shirt off and clinging to the handle of his massive sword. Every few steps caused a light clanking and with a shift of his shoulders the t-shirt moved enough to reveal why, his metal gauntlet and bucklers were rattling on the handle they'd been slipped onto, freeing up his furry fore-arms at long last. It was brilliant, finally being in a peice of civilisation that he could walk unabashed about what he was, tail swinging quite happily indeed as he pandered through the mountain of carved stone and crystal.

In truth all this vast construction was completely wasted on the wolf-man, his sight was on the inhabitants, the fae, the unusual travellers... he was revelling in every minute detail of the living... all these wondrous scents of new creatures. Really he shouldn't even be here but why let a little detail like that scupper such a fun time.

Peregrine Group... and an Ace-wara to meet for employment...

Was one of the odder methods he'd gotten a job really, in his pocket was a rather ragged and singed notice calling for a man of great fighting potential to turn up in this place and meet with... well Cor had issues wrapping his tongue around the name but had gotten fairly close in his mind. That seems fairly part and parcel yes, but he didn't get his hands on that peice of paper from some crummy pub wall, he had plucked it from a boney hand. It had been a week ago, maybe just half a week when the Highlander had been locked in a bitter struggle with a rather typical green dragon, average flame strength and not much when it came to speed... a little below average from the Monster Hunters point of view. Still when he had beheaded the thing, was only an infant really he had then went about trying to cut it open and discovered a rather fresh armoured figure inside, the skin and muscle had been dissolved mostly by the stomach acid... but clutched in its hand was a notice of employment.

Hadn't been asking purely by name so at least Corvus could blag his way through this if he kept his cool, it definately seemed like a jaunt where he could pick up something dusty and make it worthwhile. At the least he wondered if this magical location could help him out with his glove, that still remained on his hand, the jewel shining a bright red, but it was just a natural colour than one reflecting an element.

Now if I were a rich man with lackeys where would I be... ah-hah to the pointest of towers!

... He wasn't brilliant with finding his way through cities and towns but that at least seemed like a good idea, so onwards he tromped, not really paying attention now that his ambitions had been stoked, he didn't even notice his tail had swept right across some sweaty girls arm as he pandered on.

The Glassmaker
03-03-07, 05:57 PM
He really should have been watching where he was going…

Stupified, Sihiri stumbled on over the marshy ground. The trees were gigantic! It was like nothing he had ever seen or dreamed of. He could scarcely see the tips of their highest branches, and the trunks were thicker than four horses end to end. The air smelled of mud and moss and hung thick and heavy beneath the canopy. At last, a place were he didn’t have to shiver to survive! It was wond—

“Oof!”

A stocky, pale-skinned man barreled into him, nearly knocking him flat. He spun and slapped a palm against a nearby tree trunk to steady himself—but the short and huffing runner had no such luxury, as his hands were occupied by a large wooden box. He pitched forward, releasing a spray of crystal pieces and gold from the little crate. Sihiri knelt to help him, but he shot him a fierce and broken snarl.

“Stay away!” he growled, hurriedly scooping up his lost cargo. He glanced over his shoulder and swore, lifting the box and careening once more through the forest. Sihiri looked after him—and barely a moment later a low humming sound echoed through the trees.

“Stop, looter! Halt!”

A squadron of Fae zipped through the clearing, shooting effortlessly through the air on their iridescent wings. Their shouts soon faded amidst the marsh.

Sihiri shook his head. Such was the curse of any place with a rich history. As soon as people thought they could find profit in it, they seized it for themselves. It was typical Northern thinking—grab now, plan later. He sighed. There was nothing wrong in trying to profit from a wealthy area—but stealing from it for personal gain was something else entirely.

He started to move on—but stopped. Something gleamed and caught his eye. Stepping back to where the thief had fallen, he stooped—and there, nestled in the moss, lay a small crystal dragonfly. He picked it up and turned it in his hand. The top showed exquisite craftsmanship, each vein in the little wings glinting in the light, and the underside was riddled with odd etchings, geometric shapes, protrusions, and niches. He frowned at the contrast and slipped the piece into an inner pocket on his vest. Perhaps he could find a Fae to explain it to him.

Not long after that, he entered Donnalaich.

And he thought he’d been distracted before.

The whole city shimmered with light, gleaming in every direction across the streets, caught in the prisms of the citadel’s myriad of crystal art. Great, magnificent beasts, the fairest faces of the Fae, and occasionally a sculpture completely geometric in design, crafted to catch the light just so and send arcs of iridescent brilliance all around the city’s squares.

The pinnacle, of course, was the Hall.

He had no trouble finding the place. The great beacon of light it threw from its crystal-studded walls gleamed throughout the entire capital. He stepped into the foyer, and amidst the cascades of radiance, he smiled as he saw his friend.

“Rajani!”

Rajani Aishwara
03-16-07, 08:41 PM
“Rajani Aishwara?” No sooner had the Fae official left had a masculine voice filled Rajani’s ears. He turned to the source of the voice to see a man at least five years his senior with another who looked to be his father. His skin was a natural crème tan and his smile was draped by a well kept goatee. This had to have been none other than. “Lehaim Alarajem, archeologist extraordinaire. I hope you don’t mind that I brought my father along with me. He won’t be joining us on the expedition, but after reading your proposal to me he was interested in meeting you.”

The young entrepreneur lowered his head and looked at his feet to hide the blushing cheeks. As much as he prided himself on his proposal and grant writing he had never come face to face with a recipient of those letters. He was a maverick communicator delving into subjects or admitting realities that were deemed improper by common standards, but it usually caught the reader’s eye, earned his or her respect, and guaranteed a response. In this particular situation, Rajani challenged Lehaim to surpass his father’s achievements to the point that Lehaim would not have to use his father’s first name for honor, but the other way around. This surely made offense. Rajani’s father would have taken offense.

A hand twice the size of Rajani’s came between his eyes and his feet, “I don’t know how it is where you come from, but the majority of Althanians like to shake hands.”

“’Tis an honor and a pleasure to meet you both.” Rajani said as Mohammed Alrajem took his hand for a firm handshake and looked up with a façade face of pride. He could sense a bit of irritation in the legendary archeologist’s voice, and he could certainly see it in his face. Even without the beard and mustache masking it Mohammed’s smile would have been less than enthusiastic. It was clear to Rajani. Mohammed didn’t like him.

“I like you, Mr. Aishwara.” Mohammed’s statement made Rajani’s head tilt in confusion. “Although your statements of grandeur were very bold, your idea to introduce organized business into archeology is intriguing. You mentioned searching for a manager for a firm. Would you care to elaborate?”

And there was the reason as to why Mohammed lied through his teeth and claimed to like Rajani. It wasn’t him that Mohammed liked. It was the idea. The archeologist saw himself filling that position despite the elusiveness of detail. The young entrepreneur couldn’t help but smile at this realization.

He decided to indulge Mohammed. “Until now, archeology has long been an evasive industry since ancient sites in all of Althanas are either forgotten or far and few between. But here, in Donnalaich, archeology can sustain itself as it is the first step to expanding the vast and ever growing capital of the Fae nation. This quest into one of the largest suburbs of the city is to experiment with the conditions of the expedition as a task and to determine whether it can be converted into a consistent profitable venture. From what I gather we must first explore the ruins, rid them of any belligerent forces, excavate, investigate, and make profit by selling artifacts, information, evidence, and property. With that profit a company and headquarters will be established, and the process will be repeated.”

“It sounds very promising.” Lehaim said with enthusiasm. Much to his dismay, his father was not nearly as enthusiastic. Rajani would not be one to blame him. Mohammed had been alive far longer than the two of them and his naiveté and novelty of the world had run dry. He had been likely to encounter dozens of creative minds like Rajani’s with empty promises.

“One of those steps was riding the ancient suburbs of any belligerent forces.” Mohammed said with crossed arms. “Who’s going to do that? You?”

In the average situation Rajani would not have tolerated such mockery, but with his son in danger Mohammed had flawless justification for such a cynical interrogation. Even so, he would only tolerate so much from anyone. In terms of security, Rajani had summoned members of the Peregrine Group to come to his aid given that the vast majority of them were warriors. None of them made a formal response, but they had a tendency to show up when they were most needed. That answer would not be enough for Mohammed.

“Perhaps we can assist.” A group of five male Humans in cloaks emerged from the background. Rajani silently scolded himself for being so clumsy and loud. He was expecting Humans, but not this many, and he should have been aware of them to begin with. Their plain brown and black wardrobe was an eye aching contrast to the rainbow surroundings. “Xil’Mor Raxis at our service.”

“I do not pride myself in knowledge of etymology, but I believe that name is of Alerarian origin.” Rajani said with a perplexed face as he shook the man’s hand.

Xil’Mor smiled as he fidgeted with his narrow glasses. He spoke in a lowered voice. “That’s probably because I am. We all are. If the nan Roinn knew we were here we’d never get anything done. For now we’re just another one of the treasure hunting Humans… No offense. We represent the interests Ankhas, the Library of Ettermire. As you may know our library is the most extensive archive of information in the world. It houses not only the annals of history and civilization, but artifacts and items of significance as well.”

“So you desire knowledge?”

Xil’Mor shrugged his shoulders. “If nothing else, we desire exclusive knowledge of the Fae and the Ancients. Of course that information won’t be exclusive for long since we’ll probably store it in our public section, or even make it a featured article. It’s the principle of the matter that matters to us. Let me guarantee you that the King will know of your service to the nation and that you have the nation’s latest technology on your side.”

With that the Drow in disguise discretely lifted the side of his cloak to reveal a firearm. Rajani couldn’t help but widen his eyes in amazement. He had read of the weapon and see pictures, but never did he see one in person. This particular hand gun had a long barrel the length of Xil’Mor’s forearm and was riddled with elegant weavings and decorative patterns. It was beautiful as it was deadly, but there was risk in using it.

“These ruins, Sir Raxis, they are fragile like all ruins. I pray to the spirit of circumstance that you will not have to make use of them.” Xil’Mor nodded in compliance. “You will be under my every command the very moment in time we step outside the city limits. Your advisory is encouraged if we face any danger, but my word is binding.”

“And my word is bond.” Raxis extended his hand and the two made contact. “As long as we have access to the information you will have our protection and our loyalty.”

“The crux of your fortune won’t be pictures of stones, but the highest quality of anthropological findings. Unfortunately for you we have no one of such value.”

“Isn’t that what Mohammed and Lehaim are here for?”

“In most cases we would have enough knowledge of the civilization to serve that purpose, but Donnalaich is new to us.” Lehaim said as he shook his head. “We can make a few generalized deductions, date the area and time of occupation, note uses of some objects, a little this and a little that, but we won’t be making any groundbreaking discoveries without someone who knows this civilization from top to bottom.”

“And I’m not going.” Mohammed’s irritability was becoming more apparent as the conversation progressed. Rajani could completely understand. The archeologist probably had to turn down countless job offers since his retirement, and was probably getting tired of everyone assuming he was on the job or even available to dig.

“Correct, Mohammed will not be joining us on this endeavor…” Rajani said as he paused, put his hands on his hips, and looked Mohammed straight in the eyes. He wanted to make sure the message was clear. “On any level. He was simply here to make sure his son would be safe, and you have secured such.”

“Rajani!”

The entrepreneur recognized that heavily accented voice. It was the voice of Sihiri Kiinimacho, the glassmaker of Fallien. It pleased Rajani to know that a Peregrine answered his call, and it was more pleasing to know that a Peregrine answered his call when they were wanted and not just when they were desperately needed. That was what Rajani liked to see from the members of his financial group, initiative and ambition. “To be graced by the presence of a fellow bird of prey is a blessing indeed. Ladies and gentlemen allow me to introduce Sihiri Kiinimacho.”

Gadgeteer Mikami
03-25-07, 11:07 PM
I'm late, I'm late~! I can't believe I'm late!

Reina barrelled through the crowded street, the odd clunking noise of various items in her pack giving the colorful populace a curious start. The Hall of Enchanting stood a good distance off from where she was and the girl wondered if she would ever get there at all. However, everything around here started to show up in strange, surreal tones. The brightly-colored Faes began to melt into one another, their vivid wings and clothing splashing together into gaudy blobs of flowery blooms and cool shades of blue. The great structure in the distance, her destination, faded into a cloud of mist that seemed to come out of nowhere. The more steps she took, the less she could see. And the more exasperated she became.

"AHH~!!!"

Ka-BLAM!

"Oww..."

Reina did not know how it happened, but she could remember that she had been on her feet not more than a second ago. The only image registered in her mind right now was the clear blue sky laced with thin, whispy clouds racing across the turquoise canvas. Dizziness was also the other sensation coursing through her head, slowly followed by the feeling of her arms and legs lying against solid stone blocks and a large lump next to her head. Then, the crystal clear sky receded into a sea of haze, everything blurring beyond recognition.

"I think I should find my glasses..." The Gadgeteer muttered absent-mindedly to no one in particular, still lying motionless on the cold stone floor as a few curious citizen flocked around her fallen form. "And maybe then I can find Master Aishwara better without bumping into anymore people..."

Then again, she also remembered running into something soft and cuddly, something with a furry head and swishing tail. The Fae were small and frail, bearing fragile wings that would probably tear through just by touching.

"I don't suppose you're a Fae, sir...?" She looked up and weakly asked, still recovering from her sudden rush of adrenaline.