PDA

View Full Version : Clumsy

SnootchyBootchykins
03-04-07, 10:02 PM
Well, now, isn't this just a pretty little dreamland? I thought to myself as I took a look around. Radasanth was more or less how I always envisioned it. Cobblestone streets laced with spiderweb cracks wove through the tenement buildings of baked bricks. The smells and sounds of the Bazaar stretched from the west, the towering spire of the Citadel loomed over the northern rooftops. This was home. My home. Althanas had always somehow been the only place I felt I belonged, and now I was right smack dab in the middle of it. I turned to head to the bazaar and squealed when a looming silhouette blocked out the late morning sun.

A Draconian stood before me, his black scales shimmering from the eclipse he was forcing on my vision. I squealed again. A denizen of Dheathain! The newest continent was intriguing to me, and I reminded myself that now I was on this world, I needed to see it. I needed to see Istraloth and Alerar, Raiaera and even the cold barrens of Salvar. I could now; my dream was coming true.

Another happy squeal burst from my lips and I skipped around the puzzled Draconian as I joined a throng of maidens who were heading for the Bazaar. Shortly after I had woken in this place, I found a bag of one hundred small coins jingling from my hip. The realization that I had been registered dawned on me. Who had been the one to pass me through? That crazy Matt? Duro? Joy pushed through me again as I ran through the streets of the great Coronian capital.

"Little Debbie, Little Debbie! I'ma coming on home, baby!" I yelled, letting my voice echo as the brick buildings opened to show the wharf where goods came and went, and eventually, the bright tents and shops of the Coronian Bazaar. I stopped in the middle, a few bystanders of elves, dwarves, and humans moving away as I started the strange lope, bobbing my hips, shoulders, and head, that I had adopted as the official "Happy Dance" thanks to Southern Culture on the Skids. "You make me wanna.. WALK.. like a camel!"

The crowd gave way, and while I was sure they thought I was absolutely bonkers, I didn't care. I couldn't wait to tell Jenn. I was in Althanas! She wouldn't believe me, probably, but I didn't care. My thoughts weren't on getting home; I was a shaman! I got here easily enough, no doubt that I could get home whenever I felt like it. As I began to walk up the steps to a tailor's shop, the door opened and I came face to face with a redhead that I knew all too well. A golden complexion and red dot on her forehead, eyes that screamed T-R-O-U-B-L-E? Oh, yeah. Me and WACOM had been here, done this.

"Holy cow! Karuka Freaking Tida!" I squealed, surpressing the urge to hug one of Althanas' sexiest women. "I drew you! You're freaking adorable!"

Karuka
03-07-07, 06:41 PM
Karuka had opened the door to the shop as she was about to leave, waving a cheery good-bye to the "pookha" merchant. She'd just gotten a new set of clothes, nice and sturdy clothes made out of a fabric called "vlince." The cream-colored tunic had sleeves that went all the way to her wrists and tucked nicely into the oak-brown pants, which went from her hips to her ankles. On her feet were the first pair of shoes she could ever remember having.

Gone, thankfully, were the rags she'd been wearing for far too long, and she was in the best mood she could remember being in since she'd left Ki's den a couple of weeks before.

She was stepping out of the shop when a squeal from just in front of her caught her attention.

"Karuka Freaking Tida!" the other woman just about shouted, "I drew you! You're freaking adorable!"

The red-head blinked slowly, trying to process what had just been said. A look of utter bewilderment crossed her face -- a rare thing, since life had thrown so many curve balls at her that Karuka had learned to just smile and accept them.

"I...I think y' ha' me mista'en fer someone else. Mi name is ay Karuka, but I've ne'er sat fer a portrait in mi life...an' I dinna ay think I've seen y' b'fore."

She looked the woman over -- she was definitely older than the Irish lass, and Karuka had yet to hear an accent quite like hers on Althanas. She was also dressed differently. Resting on her nose were a pair of thick little windows, a shirt of some unfamiliar sort of make, and a pair of pants that were also unfamiliar in style, and a pair of boots made from an odd sort of substance.

She looked back at the woman's face, but still didn't know anything about the strange woman who apparently knew her name.

"Er...yer nae from aroun' here, are y'? Are y' los'? I'm nae from here misel', bu' if yer lookin' fer somewhere, I ha' been here a couple o' days, an' maybe I can help y'."

Translations for the Manda, who should already be fluent in Karukese.

"I...I think you have me mistaken for someone else. My name IS Karuka, but I've never sat for a picture in my life...and I don't remember seeing you anywhere."

"Umm...you're not from around here, are you? Are you lost? I'm not from here myself, but I have been here a couple of days, and maybe I can help you."

SnootchyBootchykins
03-08-07, 03:53 PM
At first , Karu's questions unnerved me a bit. After all the time I spent talking with Michelle, it was hard to remember that what the writer knew, the character didn't always have access to. Jeez, Pink Floyd would be so proud. Way to bust down that fourth wall, Manda.

"Oh, uh, nevermind. I guess it's just the heat and excitement getting to me." I told her, stepping away from the doorway so that I wasn't crowding her so much. "Just promise me that if you ever get the chance to buy a green shirt that shows your belly off and has three thin straps instead of sleeves, you'll definately get that. Trust me girl, there ain't no one that'd turn down your Lucky Charms in it; you're going to look magically delicious."

I looked around for a moment, both taking in as much of the city I loved as possible and wondering what the next step was. Not far from where we stood, an artist's booth sat. It was quick work to buy a small book of blank paper and a stick of coal from the man who tended it. I handed over all of four gold to him and my new purchases were held out to Karuka. I tried to keep my smile away from the Creepy Zone.

"Could I get your autograph? I know it sounds all kinds'a fifth grade, but where I come from you're sort of a celebrity. The good kind, not a celebritney. I have a feeling that if you were transferring limos, you wouldn't leave the panties at home. I just really can't see a Karuka with her junk all airing out." I began to realize that it was difficult to keep a smile from seeming creepy when you were babbling about famous "lips" to a fictional character whose pants you wouldn't mind getting into.

"And could I buy you a drink from a pub somewhere around here!?" I asked as an afterthought. Yeah, get her drunk! my perverted mind was yelling at me. I dismissed the thought and gave a sheepish laugh. "My throat's been dry since I hit town and I'd like to quaff somethin' down right quick before I go do the tourist thing."

Karuka
03-08-07, 06:39 PM
The more Karuka listened to the strange new woman, the more confused she became. It probably didn't much help that she was as bouncy as a baby otter in the springtime.

"Lucky Charms? Magic'ly delicious? Green shirt? Autograph? Celebritney? Limos an' panties? I dinna ay un'erstan' a word yer sayin'! Granted, mos' people say tha' abou' me...but I canna un'erstan' hal' th' words out o' yer mouth."

She sighed, still holding the notepad and stick of coal. "An' who would'a heard o' me, in th' firs' place? Th' only ones who knew mi name in Irelan' wan'ed t' throw rocks a' me, an' only a few people here on Alth-anas know who I am, so why woul' people from somewhere else entirely kno' who I am?"

She rubbed her forehead with the heel of her hand, then placed the back of her hand against the brown-haired woman's forehead.

"If th' heat's gettin' t' y', y' migh' ay ha' a fever. 'Twouldnae be good t' be out wi' a fever...butcha feel normal t' me."

She considered the offer of a drink for a moment before nodding.

"I think a drink woul' be a good way t' start o'er...so tha' I can un'erstan' whatcher tryin' t' say. There's a wee pub down tha' way, tha' I saw. An' maybe I can getcher name?"

Translations for the Manda

"Lucky Charms? Magically delicious? Green shirt? Autograph? Celebritney? Limos and panties? I don't understand a word you're saying! Granted, most people say that about me...but I can't understand half the words out of your mouth."

"And who would have heard of me, in the first place? The only ones who knew my name in Ireland wanted to' throw rocks at me, and only a few people here on Althanas know who I am, so why would people from somewhere else entirely know who I am?"

"If the heat's getting to you, you might have a fever. It wouldn't be good to be out in a fever...but you feel normal to me."

"I think a drink would be a good way to start over...so that I can understand what you're trying to say. There's a wee pub down that way, that I saw. And maybe I can get your name?"

PS - Sorry it's short, the Manda. Writer's block lately, and it's killing me. >.<

SnootchyBootchykins
03-09-07, 08:27 PM
As Karuka named all the things that I'd said that were foreign to her, it really began to dawn on me how different Althanas was from the real world. I remembered having to read through Michelle's posts with Karuka when I first took notice of the character. The dialogue she used had been confusing to me, but now I was standing before the very woman, talking circles around her with lazy references to what was modern times for me. Her brow was knitted in concern as she felt for a fever, and I stayed still, a stupid smile planted onto my lips as I waited.

"Agreed." I finally said with a giggle as I turned from the marketplace porches. I had also seen a pub, I was sure, in my run toward the bazaar. I hoped we meant the same place. As I began to walk, I turned my gait slightly sideways and held my hand out to her. The throng of shoppers grew close ahead and I didn't want to get separated from this chick until I wanted to. I only hoped she would take it. As much as I trusted my intrinsic knowledge of the capitol city of Corone, I didn't want to walk alone. I went with no one by my side too often on Earth; Althanas was the chance for life to finally go my way. Separation from my friends was a thing of the past now.

I finally found myself standing in front of a lone pub at the edge of the Bazaar. The rusting sign that swung above the doorway was too faded for me to make out the swirling script. Considering that Althanas was based slightly on medieval ideas, I thought with a shudder, chances are most writing would be in the loopy flowering design of the nancy-pants courts of yore. Without looking back for Karuka's approval, a dire habit I hoped to correct, I slipped inside the building and sidled up to the bar. The wood was well polished, but wore chinks in it like a biker wore tattoos. They were signs of tough rumbles, hopefully that were fully in the past and not about to break out today.

"Ale!" I called out, rapping my knuckles on the solid surface. Finally, Althanian beer! "It's Miller Time!" I called out, tossing a couple of coins in a small cup that sat on the bar's surface.

Karuka
03-13-07, 12:42 PM
Karuka had taken the strange woman's hand -- after all, she seemed a wee bit crazy, and it was rarely safe to let a crazy person walk the streets alone. She found a pub easily enough, though, a little one off to the side. That impressed the Irish red-head...apparently lunatics had a nose for alcohol.

"Miller time?" she asked as the stranger tossed coins into the cup on the bar.

This woman hadn't gotten any less confusing since that first outburst outside the tailor's shop. Apparently she wasn't normal for Radasanth, either, for the bartender gave her an odd look even as he served up two ales.

"Thank y'," said Karuka, taking a long swig from the cool glass. The ale was smooth and a little thick in texture, very good for a house ale. She grinned, turning to the new woman.

"'Tis a good place y' foun'. I dinna e'en know this 'un was here." And she still didn't know the woman's name.

Since the name didn't look forthcoming, Karuka set her little runebag on the table and started pulling runes out and dropping them back in, writing the runes (slightly and purposely disproportioned so that they couldn't be used for magic) on the little pad of paper.

Ansur, Mann, Ansur, Nied, Daeg, Ansur. Mann, Ansur, Rad, Is. Lagu, Othel, Geoff, Ansur, Nied.

Amanda Mari Logan.

"Oh, you're an Amanda. A few o' th' Romans named Briton daughters tha'."

SnootchyBootchykins
05-17-07, 04:24 PM
As Karu sat next to me, she began to pull out and play around with her runes. As one who looked to cards for divination, me and the stones never did dance too often. It was easy to overlook what she was doing, and pay more attention to the mug that was placed in front of me. The ale smelled strange, something foreign melting with the stench of alcohol that at one time in my past I had so relied on. This warm, cheerful tavern, so filled with lunchers and near-residents, was a far cry from the lonely living room couch where I used pray to the lesser god Jack Daniels. After a moment, I heard my full name, and winced.

"Thank God for accents," I muttered, looking over to where the runes had been sketched neatly on the paper. While I had never had any talent for the symbols that lay there, I could recognize them, vaguely know what they meant. My name was sprawled in all it's glory, taunting me to deny it. She knew, and it was more freaky than I had expected. I should have expected it, though, shouldn't I? This was Karuka, Michelle's beast. I wondered if Michelle was sitting in Virginia, her fingers clacking away and Karuka responded to this. Did she know I was here, could she see everything I was doing? Was she wondering why I wasn't signed onto AIM? There were too many questions. For now, I just wanted to enjoy myself. I was, after all, in my favorite place in the world, even if it wasn't quite in the world at all.

"You're better than I expected you to be, to tell the truth," I said to Karuka as I finally lifted my mug to my lips. I took a long draw of what I expected to be a smooth, cool brew. I expected a dustier version of Milwaukee's best. Instead, I was treated to a Beast of Barley. Under the fruity, buttery taste that wasn't half bad, there was a bitter sting. The thick liquid was stronger than anything I'd ever tasted, felling any American draft I'd ever tasted to nothing more than piss water. It was thicker than I'd drunk, too.

In a surprise maneuver that had nothing to do with my brain, my throat closed. I tried to choke, but my mouth wasn't having any of that. In the shudder of my seizing gullet, the liquid obeyed the Laws of Physics. Under pressure and given an outing, it took it. Ale sprayed from my nose, and with the stinging burn, I did the worse thing I could do. I breathed in, gasping in surprise. What ale hadn't been en-route through my nasal passages immediately paid a visit to my lungs and I collapsed onto the bar in a wheezing, coughing fit.

"Sweet Zombie Jesus!" I managed to cough, struggling to sit up with a little bit of dignity. "Screw Bud Light! The people who drink this crap are the real American Heroes."

Karuka
05-17-07, 06:16 PM
Dipole permitted.

It had worried me when Manda had disappeared for more than a month. She'd come to Althanas, and we'd chatted about how this thread was going to run -- randomly, of course, since it was Karu and her. And since Karu follows her pendulum, her chances of getting random are high...and Manda...Manda MAKES random happen. The fact that I hadn't seen her active, and that none of her accounts that I knew had been active...well, it was concerning.

When one Manda runs the world in her truck, and the other runs around on Althanas...well, the disappearance of both is more than slightly disturbing. Odd...this one must honestly think that she is the one and only The Manda...I might have to break the Fourth Wall later...but Karu'd never forgive me if I did that while they were having a drink. But...I guess I'd better actually respond to the thread, instead of sticking myself in right here. And then I have to start two more threads....both with Karuka (chick has too many threads, ay yi yi)...and then since it's the time of DOOM I have a Chem test I need to get to...and laundry...and...just...I'll let my chipper Irish chick start writing herself now. Thank Odin for characters with personality, because God knows I'm losing mine these couple of weeks.

~*~

Zombie...Jesus? Well...'tis ay an odd sayin' that I've ne'er heard afore.

The red-head watched as Amanda fell out of her chair, spewing her ale and hacking, and then again as she sat back up.

"Well...I've ne'er seen a person get rid o' their alcohol quite like tha'...perha' y' need somethin' milder...a beer, perha'? Ay?" She turned to the wench. "A beer fer her, since th' ale dinna much agree wi' her taste, an' some bread, t' keep heads ay clear."

She grinned at Amanda again as she recovered. "'Twas yer fers' time wi' ale?" She didn't wait for a response, really, before continuing. "I grew up wi' beer soup an' beer -- less likely t' bring th' cholera an' dysentery than water in flood seasons. Ale were an' interestin' fers' experience...as were liquer. Bu' if yer jus' startin' wi' ale, perha' beer is fer th' bes'...or if y' dinna like th' fact tha' 'tis bitter. Ale is good t' drink, fer i' dinna letcha ferget tha' y' ha' prollems."

She thanked the wench as the beer and bread was brought, paying for it, and then looked at her new friend. "There y' are."

She tilted her own ale back to her lips, savoring the texture and flavor.

>>>Zombie Jesus? Well, that's an odd saying that I've never heard before.<<<

"Well...I've never seen a person get rid of their alcohol quite like that...perhaps you need something milder...a beer, perhaps? Yes? A beer for her, since the ale doesn't agree with her very well, and some bread, to keep clear heads."

"Your first time drinking ale? I grew up with beer soup and beer -- less likely to bring cholera and dysentery than water in flood seasons. Ale was an interesting first experience...as was liquor. But if you're just starting with ale, maybe beer is for the best...or if you don't like the fact that [ale] is bitter. Ale is good to drink because it doesn't let you forget that you have problems."

"There you are."

SnootchyBootchykins
05-19-07, 01:31 PM
"Wow," I sputtered as my lungs finished expelling what was left of the ale and Karuka gabbed what amounted to a full blown speech to me. My brain was trying to wrap itself around some of the phrases her accent distorted, but mostly I just realized that it was more than she'd said so far. My encounter had me forgetting that she was a chatty thing, and I didn't mind. As my old friend, the beer, was set before me, I gratefully began to drink it carefully. The bread was hot, and full of flavor. It had been a long time since I'd had home-made bread.

As we sat, I began to get a little antsy. I could feel the tension begin to build up my back, and I wondered why. I felt like I was being watched, and more than that, I felt like I was in serious danger. A quick glance around the room revealed nothing more than those patrons who normally came in for a sammich and quaff, no lurkers in the shadows, and no mysterious hooded figures. A little unsettled, I turned back to the beer, wondering what I should do next.

I had been unleashed on Althanas without much purpose, and even fewer provisions. I needed a place to stay, that was apparent. I began to think on all my characters. Who would be most likely to let me stay with them? My first thought was Tshael, hands down the kindest and most stable of my characters, but then I remembered the evil deeds I had planned for her story. Upon turning up nothing more, my mind moved to NPCs. Really, Kunratros and Krathos would be the next obvious choice, and I was more partial to the latter. Finding them shouldn't be too difficult. While I fancied Krathos far more, Kunratros was here in Radasanthia.

Nervously, I eyed the redhead next to me. Should I just leave her here? Somehow I thought that wouldn't fly in Karu's book. I didn't think anything bad would happen when I found Tshael's ex-husband, but at the same time, we were an interesting party. Suddenly, inspiration hit. Kunratros wouldn't care about a human tag-along, if he were welcoming a Dranak. All I had to do was disguise myself as one of Keshra's Chosen, a Dranak of a rare tribe, and there'd be no problems. It helped that I had means to the disguise. It would require, however, the help of the Moontae.

Turning to Karuka, I asked her innocently, "Have you ever been really far into Concordia, along the paths of red flowers that beasts dare not tread?"

Holy Cryptic Symbolism, Batman! Time to go barter with some sex demons!

Karuka
05-19-07, 01:58 PM
Oh. My. Gawd. Oh my god oh my god ohmygod. I haven't written Karu having been in Concordia yet. No, wait, I lied. That's where she fought Mads. She and Madyrn need to fight again someday. She can fry him again. An electrocuted Elf goes BZZT just as well as anything else.

And her solo takes place in Radasanth. Granted, it could take place just about anywhere if handled -- well, edited -- right...but still...Well...Manda's getting them back to Radasanth. And Karuka Eithne Tida in the Moontae city...this is probably gonna be pretty great...if not just about break Karu's mind. I totally wouldn't put that past Manda. And besides...who wouldn't want to meet Skie -- no, that's another quest with another character. I mean who wouldn't want to meet Avery...and very likely, Jenn's Elena? And it would incorporate all three of Althanas's practiced diviners (OOC, anyway). And THAT thought sounds hotter than the combination of characters I have up in Power Surge. Let's type this sucker!

Note: I have to fix Karu calling Manda "Amanda." But we'll leave it to the gal herself to say that she's a Manda, not an Amanda. Oh gods, that could wind up funny as hell.

Hi-ho Karu, AWAY!

~*~

"I canna say that I've seen many red flow'rs in Concord'ya...th' las' time I were there, th' pendulum dinna guide me anywhere, so I stuck t' th' path. D'y' ha' frien's there?"

Suddenly it struck the red-head...she was supposed to meet Caduceus! But...there was an easy way to know which way she was supposed to go. If she were supposed to still travel with Cadu, she wouldn't be fated to travel with Amanda. She took another sip of her ale and a bite of the bread, still considering whether she ought to say that she had plans or if she should just trust to fate like she'd always done.

In the end, trusting to fate was so very ingrained that she slid her pendulum from her neck and held it out to the center of the table. Which way should she go?

For a moment, the lodestone crystal at the end remained still, before it started slowly swinging in circles, then gliding back and forth between Karuka, Manda, and the door. When it finally settled on a direction, it was pointing straight at the strange foreign woman.

"An'...i' looks like we're s'posed t' travel t'gether, a' leas' fer now."

"I can't say that I've seen many red flowers in Concordia...the last time I was there, the pendulum didn't guide me anywhere, so I stuck to the path. Do you have friends there?"

"And it looks like we're supposed to travel together, at least for now."

SnootchyBootchykins
05-19-07, 02:17 PM
I watched with interest as Karuka used the pendulum after some debate. I took the short time to think about how I might answer her question. Did I have friends in Concordia? No, not really. I did, however, have an entire city of people whose reactions I could guess intimately. In the end, I decided I had the upper hand over "friends". At least knowledge lasts. The pendulum pointed at me, and she decided to come along. Somehow, even before the device had been pulled out, I knew what the answer would be. Who could resist an adventure with Manda? That reminded me of something and I turned to Karuka.

"Yo, uh, I know the runes gave you my full name and all, but I'd rather you call me 'Manda'. It's a policy I implement among friends," I said cheerfully, taking another swig of beer so that I didn't accidentally say the rest of my thoughts out loud, how names were important and how I more comfortable if no one had the chance to use mine against me. I downed the rest of it, and put a few coins' tip on the table before I stood and waited for Karuka to finish.

"I'm glad that you're coming with me. This might be a little tricky, but I'm sure we'll be fine. In fact, if we hurry, I can get us horses so we won't have to walk all the way." At that last, I wondered. Was it wrong to call in my character's debts? I mean, I knew that Tshael wouldn't be bothering with this particular one, so I didn't see the harm. No sense in letting good servitude to go waste, I say. Feeling the moral conundrum abated, I grinned and held my hand out to Karuka to help her up.

"Come, Tonto!"

Karuka
05-19-07, 02:37 PM
Meheheh. Tonto. An IC reaction to an OOC comment. My poor, Medieval Karu meeting a very modern Manda.

Maaaaaaaaaanda...can you hear me down there? :p

~*~

Karuka gathered her runes as Manda spoke of horses. It had been almost a year since she'd been on a horse. Not since Albin...

But she didn't have much time to think on the past, since Manda grabbed her hand and dragged her out the door before the surprised red-head could stand up on her own.

"Easy, easy, th' day dinna spen' too fas'."

Once outside, the red-head got her feet back under her, and started following the shorter woman along. She seemed to know where she was going, and led them past a charred piece of ground where a largish building once stood. It had been a tavern of some sort, as evidenced by the crumbling bar left standing, but other than that there were just a few pieces of wood charred beyond use.

Just beyond were stables, and there were a number of horses there. As they were entering, Karuka thought of something she'd forgotten in the haste of getting moving.

"Manda? Wha' 'tis a Tonto?"

"Easy, easy, the day doesn't spend too fast."

"Manda? What's a Tonto?"

SnootchyBootchykins
05-19-07, 03:32 PM
"Eh?" I muttered as we entered the old stables. "Oh, it's the Lone Ranger's sidekick. He's all like 'That right, Kemo Sabe!' and such like that. The Lone Ranger is a classic. A classic, Karu! Jesus, I forget you missed out on American pop culture."

I wrinkled my nose as the smell of horse dung assaulted my nose. I didn't like the idea of riding; horses hate me. However, I knew that the road to the Moontae could be difficult and twisting, and no matter what Karuka seemed to think, the day did spend fast. Spend twelve hours in the driver's seat and the sun moved alot quicker than it seemed it should. I've often lamented the way the years have flown past, slipping our dreams and intentions out of our hands. I wondered if the slower pace of Althanas would bring me the peace I missed back on Earth.

As I walked, I stepped on the cleaner patches of straw, hoping my boot wouldn't sink down into the mire of the dirtier patches, and we'd only gone the length of half the stables when a squat man stepped out of the shadows. He was the Althanas equivalent of the used car salesman, and hadn't changed much since I wrote him into existance on tanThanas. I supressed to call him Luke and try and convince him that I was, in fact, his father. Not that I wanted to be...

His eyes were watery and so dark a brown that they were almost black. He was fat, having grown portly on the profit of his horses. None of the nags in the stables were particularly fine, but Jaques Moreir never had repeat customers. The Pub was a place where anyone had been welcome, and Tshael had never turned in a patron, no matter the profit or threat. The horses of J. Moreir were for those who wanted a quick and unremarkable way out of the city, and possibly a good meal once they were in the clear.

One of the old steeds snorted near me, giving me a dirty look that I was sure had nothing to do with my thoughts, and I stepped forward. Jaques did the same, lured out by the fact that I knew it was written on my face that I knew nothing of horses. In the light, I could see the grease in his hair, the sorry comb-over that had probably been done with his fingers, the zits that lay under the straggling hairs he'd positioned over his scalp. His suit was nothing more than a ghost of what it had once been. I could see along the side where his wife had had to take out the seams several times; the white thread she used glared at me from the dark brown fabric of the suit. When I write sleaze, I write it right.

"What can I do for you ladies?" he asked, grunting as he shuffled forward some more and slipped his hands into his strained pockets.

"I'm here for Miss Tshael." I said quietly. A look of fear stole over his features and suddenly he wasn't so friendly.

"I've always played square with that filly," he said suddenly, defensively. "I done told her that I don't know nothing of what happened with the fire, and that was the truth!" Spittle fled from his mouth faster than his defense, and I waited for a moment before holding up my hand.

"She never said anything about that. She just asked us to come and pick up her due." I repeated, trying desperatly to remember a five year old thread that had been lost to the winds long ago. Apparently I did something right. He relaxed, and moved to a board that I had somehow missed when we first came in. It was covered in keys and he eventually picked two, moving to the stables that they unlocked.

"There's your girl's steeds," he muttered, "now our pact is done." I nodded, ignoring the feeling of lasers being born into the back of my mind as I entered the first stable, assuming Karuka'd go directly to the other one. The horse inside nearly missed my nose by an inch. I ducked, squealing, and glared at my attacker. While I was lost on the breed, she was a light built mare, perfect for riding and already saddled up. Apparently, Jaques kept a few ready for the occassional emergency "time to flee!" that he got through here. I was grateful for that, because I didn't want to look like too much of an idiot in front of Karuka. As I began to move slowly around to the side of her - her nameplate said "Precious" but somehow I didn't think it was going to ring true - I had to deftly maneuver to avoid a heavy hoof to my own small foot.

"Bitch," I muttered, and swung myself onto the saddle. Well, I tried twice to swing onto the saddle and then settled for a pathetic upwards wiggle onto it. Obediently, for a change, Precious stepped out of the stable box, turning around once or twice in the airy stable main.

"Karu?" I asked quietly, looking around for my companion. Precious decided that was the perfect moment to rear upwards, knocking the back of my head against a low-hanging beam as I hung to the saddle horn for dear life.

"Jaques!" I cried, glaring at the smirking proprieter, "You need to change your naming policy!"

Karuka
05-19-07, 03:51 PM
Karuka entered the stable, and was greeted by a chestnut bay mare perking up her ears curiously. The red-head smiled and dug through her pack until she found a piece of fruit, and she held it out to the horse, which lipped it up.

"Hallo there," she said, patting the horse's neck. "Now, what's yer name? Alumeraine. Tha's ay a pretty name. Y'll be a good girl fer me, nae? Ay, that's what I thou'."

She spent a little more time petting the horse before she heard Manda call to her.

"Comin'."

Going around the horse, Karuka placed one foot in the stirrup and swung herself onto the mare's back, clicking her teeth once she had hold of the reins. It felt odd, balancing on so big a beast without someone behind her, holding her on...but Alu wasn't going to bolt on her.

As they got out of the stall, Precious reared and caused Manda to hit her head, and Alumeraine snorted at the other horse...apparently there was a rivalry between the mares.

"None o' tha', now," said Karuka sternly, pulling up beside Manda and her rowdy beast. "An' y', as well," she said, reaching over to bop the other woman's horse on its nose. "'Twill ay be a much nicer trip if ev'ry'un can get along."

"Hey there. What's your name? Alumeraine. That's a pretty name. Now, you'll be a good girl for me? Yes, that's what I thought.

"None of that, now. And you as well. It'll be a much nicer trip if everyone can get along."

SnootchyBootchykins
05-27-07, 10:36 PM
I rubbed the back of my head, ignoring the sharp beat pounding there for a moment. I glared down at my noble steed, cursing it to a destiny of glue in my mind. Most women loved horses. I could see why; a horse running through a field was freedom incarnate. I, however, was not most women. I couldn't stand the beasts, preferring a good mule. I'm still not sure to this day if it's simply because horses only seem intent on hurting me, or if I'm just jealous at how effortlessly they can convey grace and beauty.

Either way, we thanked the used-horse salesman and made our way out the stables and onto the main road that led to Concordia. As we passed the grave of the Silver Pub again, I felt a pang of regret. In the five years I'd been writing on the forums, I'd done some pretty horrible things to my characters. Now I was hanging on the hope that they wouldn't return the favor.

We rode until the dark trees of Concordia could be seen in the distance. Somewhere in the vast forest, my children lay. I wished Natamrael still sat at the seat of power, for anything that might end up biting Kunratros in the ass was something she'd be up for. Instead, I had to contend with Avery, and by proxy, Elena. Suddenly, hope speared through me. If I were to be messing around in Elena's territory, perhaps Jenn would see me!

I turned to gleefully say something to Karuka, when Precious reared up again. I hung on to the saddle horn, leaning forward and screeching, somehow managing to stay on the horse. She came down, and I squeezed hard with my thighs, terrified that I'd be thrown and then trampled. It wouldn't surprise me if the horse had a homicidal streak as mean as the flashing hooves that were spurring to life under me. Before I knew it, we were on a runaway chase towards the forest. I screamed the only thing I could to the horse.

"My Preeeeccciiioooouuusss!!!!"

And much like the One Ring, the stupid nag had no care for me, only for it's evil deeds.

Moonlit Raven
05-30-07, 03:56 AM
Elena huffed indignantly to herself as she watched several of the Moontae fan out, seeking game. She shifted on the log she was told to sit on, avoiding a spill of sunlight through the canopy that warmed her skin uncomfortably. Near by Avery hovered, partly watching his people with pride and watching her to make sure she didn’t move.

“I’m pregnant, not mortally wounded. Hell, I’ve only been showing for a little under a month. I don’t think I’m going to pop anytime soon.” Elena growled at Avery. She winched at the mentioning of popping. As much as she wanted this baby, her fears about childbirth were numerous.

A distant shriek caught her attention, for a moment Elena simply listened and waited. She glanced back towards. The sound of hoof beats became clear, cautious of altering Avery to the fact hat something was up Elena stood. Slowly she walked away from the hunting group towards the approaching sound. A dozen or so feet into the thicket Elena came into another clearing.

A moment later a horse bearing a woman crashed into the clearing from the other side. Elena took in the horses foam flecked sides, the woman’s death grip on the saddle horn and her terrified expression in a glance. The horse continued its charge across the clearing, unchecked. Elena hesitated for a split second then stepped into the path of the horse, waving her arms to make her look bigger.

Elena thought that the horse was going to throw it rider as it reared up before her, it hooves flashing in the air. One hoof came passed close enough for Elena to feel the wind of it passing ruffled her loose hair. She leaped for the horse bridle and halter, throwing her body weight into bring the horse back down to all four hooves. Irritated, the horse tried to bite her and equally irritated Elena smacked the horse hard on the nose. The horse jerked back, surprised, almost jerking Elena off her feet.

Glaring the horse in the eye she yanked on the bridle, telling it under no circumstances that she wouldn’t tolerate any foolishness from it. Elena looked up at the woman in the saddle; she raised a brow at the petite woman.

“Are you okay? You know, if you’re not an experienced horse rider you should have taken a palfrey. This beast is probably laughing at you right now.”

Karuka
05-30-07, 12:57 PM
When Precious bolted, it took Karuka a full minute to get Alumeraine, who had suddenly turned skittish, turned around and in pursuit. The other horse was running at a canter through the woods, and the trot that Alu was moving at had Karu bouncing around in the saddle.

Who th' Hel came up wi' th' saddle an' this fancy gimmick fer th' lead? the redhead wondered, slipping her feet from the stirrups so she could grip the horse's flanks with her boots, and released the reins to grab the horse's mane. With the saddle and bridle, there was an uncomfortable distance between her and her mount, who could communicate like that?

"HA!"

At that encouragement, Karuka's bay charged off after the other horse, jostling her rider, who held on for dear life.

Wha' did Albin say, when ridin' a horse? Move wi' th' beast. It was the only useful thing he'd given her -- advice on how to ride. She took that advice to heart now, moving up as the horse rose and down as she fell, contracting and expanding with the horse's strides. It made it easier to hang on.

She could see Manda and Precious stopped in a clearing up ahead, another woman glaring at Manda's horse much like she would have done. The red-head grinned as she saw another woman that could communicate to beasts on their level, and almost forgot that she needed to stop as she pounded into the clearing.

Had she actively thought about stopping, certainly she'd have gone on forever. But Karuka was a Druid, more a creature of instinct than thought, and so her legs slid back up toward the horse's chest and she sat back, pulling on the mane. The disruption of balance made the horse pull up and stop, and the red-head patted the horse's neck as she slid off.

"Hallo, an' thank y'. I'm Karuka, 'tis nice t' meetcha." She held out a hand to the raven-haired woman in greeting. A quick glance told her that depending on how in shape the woman was, she was maybe four to six months with child -- maybe a little less, if it wasn't her first.

>>>Who the Hel came up with this saddle and lead gimmick?<<<

>>>What did Albin say, when riding a horse? Move with the beast.<<<

"Hi, and thanks. I'm Karuka, nice to meet you."

SnootchyBootchykins
05-30-07, 04:06 PM
Even though the woman had helped me, I could feel my indignation rising up. My mouth turned into a sneer as I began to shift, intending on dismounting. I take what I'm given, bitch, same as anyone. Well, that's what I thought anyway. There was no way I was going to to say that to Elena. I knew the woman when I saw her, how could I not have known? That dual colored hair, the total disregard of her own personal safety? Not to mention that she was preggers as hell. When did that happen?

As I swung my right leg over the saddle, I intended on placing it on the ground. Instead, my momentum kept me going and I fell on my ass. Lovely, way to make a fool of myself in front of Concordia's most graceful denizen. As I was standing, Karuka rushed into the clearing, doing a much better job of getting stopped than I had. I glared at my steed, narrowly avoiding getting bitten as I did.

"I don't think she knows how to laugh, really. Laughing is something that decent things do." I spat, looking around for red flowers. The small Soema blooms grew where the Moontae walked often, or planted on purpose. It was the easiest, and usually safest way to find the Moontae. Finding none, I came to the conclusion that Elena had come here specifically to be my knight in shining armor. That could be good and bad. When Elena went somewhere of her own accord, Avery usually followed and was none too happy.

"ELENA!" I heard the baritone growl from the shadows of the trees.

"Speak of the devil, and the devil shall appear." I muttered, ignoring my sexiest creation. Instead, I gestured to the two women on either side of me.

"Karuka Tida, meet Elena Alexi Nito. Karuka's a kick-ass diviner from Ireland whose helping me out a bit right now, and Elena's a kick-ass Queen of demons who's having the child of my....friend's son." I said. I had almost slipped and said "character" and then I'd be at best, dismissed as nuts.

It was then that Avery chose to appear. Seeing him emerge from the foliage was like watching heaven being born from stardust. He was in great shape, tall and toned. His muscles moved underneath his tanned skin like planar sex, his emerald eyes shimmering on a face that wasn't overly feminine in it's attractiveness. He had a rugged sort of handsomness, a strong jaw and light stubble that formed along it. A single black wing stretched out behind him, glittering slightly as the sun caught the silver speckles and reflected them outwards. Long auburn hair was tied back at the nape, and I knew that the rare copper highlights were in them were natural, for they tinted the happy trail that led down to....

Well, let's just say that when I make a male character, I make him right.

Moonlit Raven
05-31-07, 07:29 PM
Elena yanked on the halter of the horse warningly as it reached out to bite its now dismounted rider. She shook her slightly at the woman’s disparaging comment. She looked over the woman, taking in everything to the odd clothing she wore to the pieces of thick glass over her eyes. Elena was about to ask why she wore the glass and metal contraptions over her eyes when the sound of Avery calling her caught her attention.

Elena sighed and decided to not bother responding, Avery would undoubtedly appear soon enough, looking for her. Elena pulled the tie holding her hair back and let her hair fan out across the exposed skin across the back of her neck. She sighed when the slight burning sensation faded.

The one sided exchange of information gave Elena more than a little pause. Narrowly she stared at the petite woman before manners long ago beaten into her prodded her to politely murmur a greeting to the red headed woman.

“Just how did you know the former chieftain? Better yet how in the hell do you know of me? I’m fairly certain we’ve never met.” Elena stared at the woman, her eyes beginning to narrow as her opinion slid more towards wariness. Absently, Elena smacked the soft, velvety nose of the horse as it nipped her, the horse huffed its annoyance at her in return.

A sudden light sprang into being in the woman’s eyes, with out turning around Elena knew that Avery had finally tracked her down. Judging from her expression Avery approached us in his full glory. His lovely and not quite human body bared to all in the manner of the Moontae. I shook my head partly from amusement and partly from exasperation. The blatant traveling stare past me to Avery tweaked a nerve. Elena found herself hold out a hand to Avery as soon as he got close. I turned to the other woman, Karuka.

“Well met Karuka. Ignore the nakedness of my husband please. It just his way. May I ask what being a diviner entitles?” Elena paused for a moment and glanced back at Avery.

“Avery, this is Karuka and, well this other lady has yet to tell me her name. She claims to be a friend of your mother.”

Karuka
05-31-07, 09:05 PM
"Th' other 'un is A --" Karuka stopped short in her introduction. It was hard to not use the full first name, since names were important in identifying heroic acts, and if you didn't go by your name, how could the guardians of the soul in the afterlife know who you really were? "She's Manda."

Karuka glanced over at Avery, naked as any natural beast, although without the same glee as Manda. After all, for certain holy days, people walked around naked in her village.

"Is i' Solstice or some other holy day? Ah, 'tis his way. Hallo, then, Avery." The red-head flashed the handsome man a grin, before turning back to Elena.

"Ah...ay, I'm a wee bi' o' a diviner. An' wha' i' means...well...I ha' a pouch o' runes, ay? An' people ask questions, an' I lay ou' a few o' 'em, an' figger ou' wha' they're sayin' t' answer. Sometimes 'tis vague, sometimes 'tis specific, sometimes i' ha' nae anythin' t' do wi' th' query, bu' ha' somethin' else t' say tha' 'tis importan'. 'Tis an importan' part o' th' religion I was raised wi'...an' originally I werenae s'posed t' learn t' read th' runes...these were a gif'."

She reached into her pouch, drawing a pair of runes. The first had an X marked over it, the second was a line with a "v" turned sideways to meet at its center.

"See? These are sacred items t' mi people. Nae many ha' them."

"The other one is A -- . She's Manda."

"Is it Solstice or some other holy day? Oh, it's his way. Hello, then, Avery."

"Ah...yes, I'm something of a diviner. And what it means...well, I have a pouch of runes, right? And people ask questions, and I lay out a few of them, and figure out what they're saying to answer. Sometimes it's ague, sometimes it's specific, sometimes it has nothing to do with the question asked, but has something else important to say. It's an important part of the religion I was raised with...and originally I wasn't supposed to learn to read them. These were a gift."

"See? These are sacred items to my people. Not many have them."