PDA

View Full Version : 300

Witchblade
03-09-07, 11:47 AM
No spoilers.

Zerith, Lisean and I--plus a bunch of their friends--all went to the midnight screening of 300 last night. It was awesome! The story is actually told in a narrative way that the trailers never led on to. Though this didn't detract from it in my mind, I would have picked someone else to do it only because I'm not a fan of the sound of that guy's voice. (David Wenham who played in Van Helsing and Lord of the Rings) There's also a lot more storyline involved in the movie than they lead on to, which made it more dynamic. Not to mention some of the lines they say are just kick ass. The graphics and the special effects really add to the picture as well. And surprisingly, Becky's mom came to see this with us since she was our drive and even she liked it!

This is a must see!

I'm definitely going to see it again.

For now though, I shall sit back and wait for the influx of Spartan based characters.

Atzar
03-09-07, 12:31 PM
Good. That's all I needed.

I'm going with a few friends very soon. My only worry was that the special effects might have been a little overly-done, and if that wasn't a problem then I'm pretty confident that I'll love this movie.

Of Free Will
03-09-07, 12:41 PM
What's even cooler is I was already familiar with the myth of the 300 hundred spartans. To see it as a movie is a treat indeed.

moo

Zook Murnig
03-09-07, 01:21 PM
It's no myth, man.

The Battle of Thermopylae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae).

The Archer
03-09-07, 02:36 PM
Ergo, it's a legend.

Witchblade
03-09-07, 06:06 PM
lol, it's a legend and a myth based on what historian's believe to be an actual battle. Since stories are embelished over time, I highly doubt it was 300 verse 10,000 though.

Zerith
03-09-07, 06:14 PM
Yes it was very nice. Very, very nice. (Claps the way he did after seeing the movie this morning and only Witchblade would understand how.)

Seriously, some of those lines were awesome.

"See, I have more soldiers than you."

...makes me want to get a giant battle thread going on. I call it 301.

Witchblade
03-09-07, 06:17 PM
*punches Zerith in the face*

That was only funny for the first thirty seconds. Then I felt like killing you, Spartan style. :p With a giant spear going through your eye ball.

Zerith
03-09-07, 06:21 PM
Yeah, but I told you I'd do it anyways...just like the althanas/dane cook comedy thingy.

On a side note, I say everyone should go see this movie. I'd actually pay to go see it again.

Witchblade
03-09-07, 06:24 PM
But if you go with me you don't have to pay. o.O

Khalxaen
03-09-07, 06:30 PM
I watched it with my friends... twice. o.O (Ahaha, we had nothing better to do)

Anyway, I loved it. I'm usually not a fan of violence, but that movie was really cool. No spoilers, right? Anyway, to the ones who watched it, didn't you think the "Spartan kick" was just so crunchy? :p (from the start)

Witchblade
03-09-07, 06:36 PM
This is Sparta!

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. :p

Zook Murnig
03-09-07, 09:54 PM
lol, it's a legend and a myth based on what historian's believe to be an actual battle. Since stories are embelished over time, I highly doubt it was 300 verse 10,000 though.

Historians actually believe it was more like 7,000 Greeks against 2,641,610 Persians.

Noir
03-10-07, 12:59 AM
300 = 300 hot greek god guys wearing little more than a sexy blood red cloak, shield, and a leather thong. Woot! Oh yea...and blood and gore and story, blah blah.

Dissinger
03-10-07, 06:48 AM
Historians actually believe it was more like 7,000 Greeks against 2,641,610 Persians.

300 Spartans their 10,000 greek slaves. Problem the persians had was the spartans actually wore half plate which made it hard to penetrate their defenses while persians wore the lgiht armor seen in the movies. So in the end they volley fired the Spartans and their army to death because they literally couldn't break through.

Khalxaen
03-10-07, 08:02 AM
I thought that in reality, it wasn't 300 against that much. They were actually a looot more than that, but when they were betrayed and the odds were too horrible, everyone else left, and that's when only 300 were left behind. :P

Letho
03-10-07, 08:25 AM
I hate my country. 300 is coming to the movies here in like four weeks. Fortunately, at least I have the Frank Miller's 300 comics, so I'll try to quench my anticipation with re-reading them and watching over the trailers for the nth time until the movie finally starts playing.

As for the movie, I don't think the debate about the accuracy of the numbers is really necessary. The directors weren't trying to make a historic drama. I read somewhere that they even changed the way Spartans actually fought in that time to make it look "more cool". This is an awesome action movie loosely based on the actual battle (of which all the facts are still rather vague) and it should be viewed as such. Don't dissect it, enjoy it. :)

Witchblade
03-10-07, 12:19 PM
I personally don't care how many Spartan's and how many Persia's there were. The movie is kick ass and the fighting sequences are awesome. I can't wait to go see it again.

By the way, nice avatar Letho. :p

Farmboy
03-10-07, 06:14 PM

Actually, historians put it as 200,000 to 2,000,000 Persians. But that's beside the point. The movie itself is based off '300' the graphic novel by the man that made Sin City. Which is what gave it the "brown" feel. And the historic battle didn't start as 300 vs 200 thousand. It started as seven thousand Greeks with the 300 Spartans, against the 200 thousand Persians. The 300 battle didn't come about until Leonidas learned that Xirces found a way around the Thermopylae Pass.

Leonidas ordered the seven thousand greeks to slowly retreat while the Spartans stayed. The Persians surrounded Leonidas on both sides of the Pass and that's when the historical "last stand" battle took place.

(Sorry, I felt like flexing my historical muscles.)

Lucien
03-10-07, 08:55 PM
(Sorry, I felt like flexing my historical muscles.) Ah, a muscle so rarely used.

Sarcasm aside, 300 is perhaps one of the best movies I've ever fucking seen. I just got back from it, and it's just fucking amazing. My friend said she needed to smoke a cigarette afterwards, and I said "..I don't care if Adolf Hitler himself busts a load on me right now, nothing can ruin this day."

Fucking awesome. It may be a macho crap movie, but damned if that macho crap isn't absolutely amazing.

I'd say I'm speechless, but I've already talked too much.

Koran
03-11-07, 03:15 PM
Slightly inacurate, but this is becoming of Hollywood movies. I've heard some people say that the story line moved a little slow...a little slow...wtf, this is ancient greece! Everything was done slow back then. Serious, most wars had only one battle in them and then it was decided. The reason they didn't wear armor in the movie was because its hard enough to move with it on and the directors and producers wanted them to be able to move easily, and the fact that they wanted to symbolize the Spartans as being so perfect, they didn't need armor.

:D Which, they really didn't.

Also, the ending, although quite spectacular in a sense that it leaves you to ponder exactly what the persians thought now that they face 10,000 Spartans, instead of 300 which could have easily bloodied them a shit load more if given a chance, was quite far off from the truth, I think. From what I've read, the Spartans actually held the pass and weren't shot to shit, instead fighting to the very last, using fists, feet and teeth in some cases, where weapons had been lost.

All in all, excellent movie, despite the low budget, with some excellent actor choices. I saw one of the guys from prison break in there too, as a back ground character and hardly noticable unless you really look for him. Full of quite a few, and surprising, laughs, this is a must see for anyone who is really into ancient warfare and stuffs. Despite its minor (or major if you're a history buff) historical inaccuracies.

:D

Lucien
03-11-07, 03:22 PM
This isn't a history movie, it isn't meant to be an accurate retelling of events. It's pure entertainment and comparing it to real history is like comparing Althanas to the real world for a time frame; it just doesn't work.

If you don't see this movie, you don't deserve eyes. That's for everyone.

Slayer of the Rot
03-11-07, 05:26 PM
The movie was fantastic. I left it wanting to get drunk and fight a dog with a stick.

Of Free Will
03-11-07, 07:41 PM
i literally just got back from seeing it. I loved it. Although i wish there had been more fighting. The battles, though awesome, seemed short.

maybe im too used to the epics of LOTR. -_-

Max Dirks
03-11-07, 09:18 PM
Pretty badass.

Faramir had the best one liner ever.

Leonidas' scottish accent didn't play well to the greek theme, though.

Witchblade
03-12-07, 07:50 AM
I don't think the scottish accent detracted from the movie. :p Just think of him as an out of towner kind of Greek.

Which one liner are you talking about? There are so many... >.>

Mage Hunter
03-12-07, 09:38 PM
"Is that...scratch okay?"

"It's just an eye, the gods saw fit to grace me with a spare."

Witchblade
03-12-07, 10:00 PM
Hahaha!

Yeah, that was a good one. :p

Dissinger
03-12-07, 10:19 PM
I personally liked, "We've been sharing our culture with you all morning."

Artifex Felicis
03-12-07, 10:24 PM
"You ARE generous, but that kneeling thing, you see that'll be tough. My legs got this cramp in them, probably from slaughtering your men."

god I loved this movie. And I'm using this thread to distract myslef from posting.

Witchblade
03-12-07, 10:32 PM
I personally liked the line...

"Because only Spartan women can bare Spartan men."

"You just had to say it."
"What?"
"We'll fight in the shade."

Farmboy
03-12-07, 10:37 PM
I personally liked the line...

"Because only Spartan women can bare Spartan men."

It was actually, "Because only Spartan women bare real men."

Just thought I'd point that out.

Witchblade
03-12-07, 10:41 PM
Same shit different pile.

Zerith
03-12-07, 11:13 PM
I have my picks.

"See, I brought more soldiers than you."

"There's no reason we can't be civil" (I not too sure if that's the exact word used)

And the one Leonidas says about thinking he could have the Spartan woman come fight, and still kick ass.

Dissinger
03-12-07, 11:15 PM
"You obviously don't know our women. Judging from this morning though, perhaps I should bring them up here to fight."

Zerith
03-12-07, 11:19 PM
Yes. That's the one. Thanks Diss.

Khalxaen
03-12-07, 11:23 PM
I don't remember that part. Darn.

:/ I heard they cut out some parts here. That sucks, but it was probably just some sex scenes.

Dissinger
03-12-07, 11:39 PM
Its while hes talking to Xerses and he mentions the women being slaves.

Witchblade
03-12-07, 11:40 PM
They were awesome sex scenes. :p

Zerith
03-12-07, 11:58 PM
Yes, they were awesome.

...Though it did feel kinda odd knowing my mother-in-law was watching the same movie only like 4 seats to my left. I was almost expecting her to just walk out of the theatre.

Witchblade
03-14-07, 08:06 PM
So was I. Surprise to all of us when she said she really enjoyed the movie at the end. o.O

Karuka
03-16-07, 02:42 PM
Whee! My turn to go see it!

EDIT: Tomorrow. *Grumbles*

The Bard
03-17-07, 01:52 AM
I just saw it today...well technically yesterday and I must say I really am speechless that is possible one of my new favorite movies I love it and was impressed but what makes it better is that I knew about the battle of thermoplaye before I saw the movie. But anyone who hasn't see the movie go see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a few of my favorite lines were "Spartans! Enjoy your breakfast, for tonight we dine in Hell!"

and my favorite seen was when it was all slow-mo and Leonidas was killing like 20 people also when him and faramir were fighting the giant beast dude........man the things I would do to have a body like that I better start going to the gym and wrestle some wolfs

Rath
03-17-07, 12:52 PM
The spear in the rhino's eye was pretty cool, as well as that slo-mo attack on the messenger.

This movie was da shits, and Artifex and I are going to see it again eventually. We're probably going to force our other friends to go to it with us.

Sorahn
03-24-07, 12:16 AM
Just saw it.

Most badass movie ever made.

lol I loved it. Might have to buy that one. Nothing but pure Persian ass kicking. I think it's the ultimate guy movie in that it's just raw power, testosterone fueled ass-kicking, and plenty of hawt girls. Actually I'm surprised at how many girls like it... but whatever. This movie oozed awesome, so it's understandable.

"I don't think kneeling before you will work. See, slaughtering thousands of your men has given me a nasty leg cramp."

Koran
03-24-07, 01:07 AM
I TOLD YOU THE JOKES WERE GOOD!

Hahaha.

Rith
03-25-07, 11:08 PM
I have yet the chance to see it :(

Witchblade
03-25-07, 11:11 PM
heh, well I suggest you go and see it. :p

Reiko
03-25-07, 11:15 PM
Eh I don't think I'll see it. I just don't think it's my cup of tea and I really loath paying money to something that supports Frank Miller. Maybe when HBO or Starz has it on and I have nothing to do I'll give it a chance.

Witchblade
03-25-07, 11:26 PM
Wow, you're the first person I've talked to not interested in seeing this movie. o.O You're loss I guess. If you're picturing it to be something like Sin City, well it's not. In fact it's completely and utterly different.

Koran
03-26-07, 05:27 AM
Like, what he said...only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*infinity different, and stuffs. :D

Vamrsh Skylare
03-26-07, 06:03 AM
I just saw 300 yesterday and .... well I have to say that it is one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years.

The fight scenes were awesome, the drama scenes were great, and (hopefully not a spoiler) the scene with Leonitus' wife in front of the council was great.

And the best part was that he was a king with a sense of humor.
"We were told not to send the army my king"

"This isn't the army, I'm just on a walk. These 300 fine gentlemen are my personal bodyguards"

Zero
03-26-07, 10:15 AM
Chuck Norris approves of this film.

The Valkyrie
03-26-07, 11:58 PM
I saw it tonight. Damn does not begin to describe. I think.... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK works better. Wow. Just wow. I loved this movie. Favorite I have seen in QUITE some time.

EarlStevens
04-01-07, 12:54 AM
It was a pretty good movie, I just didn't really go for its portrayal of Sparta as some sort of moral paragon or its ethnically confused portrayal of Persians. From the movie, you'd think Persia was an amalgamation of Mordor, Angola and Cuba. But whatever, it was still a good movie.

Nein
04-16-07, 03:55 PM
It's decided then.

I will have my character yell out as he enters battle, in the Fallien Siege thread...

"THIS IS FALLIEN!"

... and then proceed to tear apart the harpy fools.

Rith
04-16-07, 04:21 PM
It was a good movie, but I dont think it lived up to it's hype. Still, I wouldn't mind going and seeing it again.

Nein
04-16-07, 10:44 PM
Sure it did.

Why else would people be running around screaming "THIS IS SPARTA!" and so on? It's because the movie was great to watch, and there were memorable quotes that sounded just as bad ass.

Cmon, like...

"Give them nothing, but take from them... EVERYTHING!"

... or ...

"Enjoy your breakfast, Spartans, for tonight, we dine in HELL!"

Letho
04-17-07, 03:45 PM
I found THIS (http://community.livejournal.com/randompictures/2209617.html?page=1#comments) incredibly funny, especially the one from "Who wants to be a millionaire?". :D

Zerith
04-17-07, 07:50 PM
I found THIS (http://community.livejournal.com/randompictures/2209617.html?page=1#comments) incredibly funny, especially the one from "Who wants to be a millionaire?". :D

Lol, those were great.

Personally, This (http://cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20070312) is my favorite thing that refers back to 300. Always makes me laugh.

Arsène
04-17-07, 09:35 PM
Best Parody ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNqiSkd1M6k)

Thou can't deny it.