PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Massacre
03-10-07, 03:45 PM
There's a couple screenshots I took here;

Vista (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f219/puffman7/VistaShot.jpg)
In this one, it flashes orange when a new message is sent, ect. Blue highlight when you drag your mouse over, there's a few selected icons on the right side.
Plus my sexy background. (My brother's band name)

Vista Menu (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f219/puffman7/VistaShot2.jpg)
I have the menu open plus a chat window open.

I've had very few problems, my anti-virus software isn't compatible so if you're thinking of upgrading, visit the Vista site and look what programs are compatible as of right now.

Just a few patches for programs and it's all good. :)

Corvus MacCallum
03-10-07, 03:49 PM
A woman that appreciates Quake 4, perfect heh... looks pretty good actually but until things start rejecting XP don't see much point in upgrading just yet.

Massacre
03-10-07, 03:49 PM
I got it free with my new computer.

Letho
03-10-07, 04:03 PM
A woman that appreciates Quake 4, perfect heh... looks pretty good actually but until things start rejecting XP don't see much point in upgrading just yet.Screw Quake 4. She has Morrowind installed. If you still lived in Austria, Massacre, I'd ask you to marry me. ;)

As for Vista... I think I'll wait for a number of things. Mainly I'll wait for some money which will buy me a new computer that would be able to run it smoothly. I could possibly run it on my current configuration, but I'd probably have to get the version without Aero. I'll also wait for it to domesticate itself on the market, maybe until it get its first Service Pack or something. From what I heard and read, Vista isn't that much of a revolution in operating systems that I'd absolutely had to have it on my PC immediately.

Zook Murnig
03-10-07, 04:03 PM
I don't doubt that Vista is attractive. I do, however, know of its flaws in particular regarding security. It has two modes, basically. Either ON or OFF.

ON: For everything you do, you either Allow or Deny the action in a window that pops up. Doesn't sound too bad, except it really does pop up EVERY TIME you do something. Send an IM, Allow or Deny? Receive an IM, Allow or Deny? Reply to an IM, Allow or Deny?

OFF: It doesn't ask you about anything. Sounds better, right? Except it's not protecting you at all, either. You're open to the onslaught. Dead meat.

They needed to make a set of Security preferences, where you choose certain actions to be automaticly allowed, and others to be questioned.

Massacre
03-10-07, 04:17 PM
Silly Letho, I live in the states now.

And it doesn't ask me every time I do something. Plus I have it on... hmm?

Sorahn
03-12-07, 10:06 AM
Yeah Vista is pretty. But in my limited encounters with it I've had nothing but problems.

First of all there's basically zero backwards compatibility. Or I should say zero compatibility period. Meaning many folks are upgrading to vista and coming to the grim realization that their printer no longer works. And Micro$oft just tells them to buy a new one.

And what about programs (and games) that aren't designed for vista or haven't been upgraded yet?

To be fair, these are problems that most every new OS worth anything experiences, however I really don't think Vista should be put on EVERY new computer being sold.

My sister just bought a laptop and NONE of the ones for sale had anything besides Vista on them. I just don't think Vista is mature enough to have enough support for that kind of distribution. My sister wanted to try to get on FFXI so we could play together, but FFXI doesn't support Vista (or vice versa, really), resulting in a 2 week long quest to set up her computer to dual boot XP and Vista together, as well as scour the internet for XP drivers.

To me, I see no advantages of Vista over XP. Combined with the hideous lack of support for everything that I want out of a computer, I see no reason to upgrade.

I'm not a fan. :P

Letho
03-12-07, 06:31 PM
The hardware compatibility (or rather, lack thereof) isn't completely Microsoft's mistake though. A lot of hardware manufacturers failed to write drivers for their devices in due time and there's little Microsoft can do about that. Some of them will probably provide the necessary drivers, but they are not in a hurry. Vista is going to spread across PCs like every other Windows OS did and there's money to be made there. Just slap "Vista ready" sticker on your product and people are bound to replace their old one sooner or later.

There is another ace that Vista has up its sleeve; DirectX 10. DirectX 10 brings all the next-gen consoles goodness to PCs, provided you have the necessary hardware under the hood. And since Microsoft probably isn't going to make a version of DirectX 10 for XP or older OS-s, if you are a PC gamer (which I am), you'll have to have Vista if you want to play the newer games properly.

Raelyse
03-12-07, 07:03 PM
It was the same with XP when it first came out.