PDA

View Full Version : Aerie of Akashima

Rajani Aishwara
03-17-07, 11:31 AM
Continued from Conquest by Capitalism (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=3218)

Time passes without ceasing like the currents of the Great Divide. It is almost comical how effortless it is to forget her face. For months I pined over that woman, knowing fully well that I must put her memory behind me. I cannot recall the day I fully recovered from the heartbreak, but today even her name is thorny in my memory. While it may be sad to know that the human heart can be so detached, it is equally as wonderful to know that the human heart can be so resilient.

– Avanti Aishwara

“Captain on deck!” It was somewhat surprising to hear the middle aged First Mate Aton Mira shout at the level of projection that he did. His scratchy voice was by far the greatest testament of his old age. Nevertheless all ears on deck caught his voice as Captain Rajani Aishwara stepped on deck, not from the lower decks of the ship, but from the docks of Yanbo Harbor in Akashima.

Instead of greeting his crew with glee like normal, Rajani strode with wide eyes of anger to his quarters. His white officer’s shawl was merely a blur in the eyes of the crew. It was clear that something had gone wrong while the captain made his land tour from Radasanthia to Akashima. Aton made eye contact with the Helmswoman Tiberia Natalya, who immediately understood. On the ship’s so far short tour Tiberia had proven to be the closest thing to a confidant for the captain. She followed her captain into his quarters. She entered to see him scurrying through parchments with his left hand and grasping his blade with his right.

“I take it your land tour didn’t go so well?” Tiberia asked with great reluctance as she slowly stepped forward.

“Well… Well…” Rajani made a sarcastic smile as he picked up a particular piece of parchment riddled with numbers. “Allow me to indulge you. Madame you were present to witness the advent of the internal conflict that is probable to consume all of Corone, and the entire neighborhood of Eventyne Commons retreat to Akashima. That is all trivial, minor inconvenience. In point of fact I may just benefit from this turn of events. Conversely, my journey to Akashima proved to be more than a simple trip.”

“So something happened on the way here?” Tiberia stepped to the side as Rajani made his way to the door.

“Not something.” He said as he abruptly kicked the double doors open. The crew froze in its place as he strode hastily across the deck and back to the exit ramp. “Someone, Teline Al’grimis ambushed the carriage ride to Akashima, and I’m afraid we may have a formidable nemesis on our hands. I can guarantee this much. The next time we meet he will look up at me from the flat of his back and with the blade of my grandmother piercing his heart.”

“Captain, where are you going?”

Rajani stopped and turned to look Tiberia in the eyes. It was a wonder that she was taller than him yet she felt like he was looking down at her. “It would take the gods themselves to keep this endeavor out of my reach, and if they make such an attempt I’ll have their heads.” Upon hearing such a brazen statement several crew members initiated quick prayers to their personal gods. He threw up a profane gesture for his own amusement.

“What are your orders while you pursue this endeavor?”

The captain froze for a moment in contemplation. He then smiled. “Shore leave until the new moon. Explore Akashima with a light heart, but if you seek extra profit you’ll know where to locate me… Wherever the people stop to stare.”

Karuka
04-21-07, 06:10 PM
Irritable couldn't begin to describe the emotional state of Karuka Tida.

Since she had first stepped foot on Althanas, the Irish lass had been bounced around, finding one individual or another, intending to travel with them for a while...well, actually, it seemed to always be a him thus far. It seemed that like most Earth women, most Althanas women stayed at home and let the men do stupid things like wander off alone.

But every time she'd made a friend that she intended to travel with for more than the seemingly random adventures her dharma had set her on, fate made a sudden shift and tore her away.

Nic had left almost as soon as they'd reached Scara Brae. She'd left her friends on Scara Brae, even though she was supposed to travel with at least one of them. She'd bounced around Althanas (and mostly Corone) since then, and had finally been asked by one Caduceus Grimaldi if she wanted to go with him to the Comb Mountains with him.

The Quabalist mage was friendly and a little funny, and she'd been more than happy to take him up on his offer.

They'd left Radasanth together, and had been traveling toward the Comb Mountains (over land, thank the gods), when they'd been stopped at a little village and separated due to some evacuation measure brought about by the civil war going on.

That night, as Karuka had tried to find her friend once more, despite the pouring rain, she'd stumbled into a cave with a cat-boy, and had almost been sold into slavery by savage little luchorpans.

Needless to say, she was more than a little frustrated. She didn't want to follow the Norns or dharma or fate or whatever anyone wanted to call it. She was sick of it. She was more than sick of it.

So sick of it, in fact, that her pendulum, which she normally used to divine the direction she was supposed to go, had stayed firmly around her neck. She asked directions to the Comb Mountains, and kept on a general course. Hopefully Caduceus would make it there as well, and find her.

And so she found herself, tired, grouchy, and solitary in the bustling streets of some Akashiman town.

If I'd ay known 'twere Akashima, I'd ha' gone back t' spen' some time wi' Ki an' her kits. Bu' nae. I jus' hope I can fin' Cah-duh again.

The golden skinned red head sat at a table belonging to an outdoor cafe, waving a serving wench for some soup or whatever they were serving, and flicking her a coin to pay. For a brief moment, it occurred to her that she'd come quite a long way from when she'd first set foot on Althanas. She'd considered herself lucky, for a few months, to have anything to eat...and now she could casually flick a coin and buy food.

As she ate, Karuka clacked down a few runes, just seeing what they said. To a novice diviner, the combination wouldn't mean much at all.

Karuka's eyes were much more experienced, however. She saw the runes, and beyond to the meaning. There was subterfuge in the near future. Intrigue. A charismatic man with ambition.

Shoving the five runes into her bag, she hissed a curse. She didn't care for some other adventure with some other man. She wanted a little bit of stability and pleasant companionship, for ONCE in her life.

Is tha' AY too much t' ask?

Translations

>>>If I'd KNOWN it was Akashima, I'd have gone back to spend some time with Ki and her kits. But no. I just hope I can find Cadu(ceus) again.<<<

>>>Is THAT too much to ask?<<<