PDA

View Full Version : Please look at this!

Jaleco
03-20-07, 12:19 AM
Ok, I know I just joined Althanas a few days ago, but I've got a lot to say. First of all, everything here seems so... outdated. What I mean by that is that I would like to see some more action going on. Everone makes a post on threads like, once a day. Come on, we could all be a bit more enthusiastic. Secondly, why is there so few things happening, we should get tons of new things happening around here. I'm not asking everyone to devote there lives to Althanas, but if you like writing, I'm sure that you'd like to see more events. I think that we should get multiple tournaments going, that way the contests aren't just open to the higher levels of Althanas. The pace around here needs to quicken. The opportunities for getting a quest are so scarce(at least for us lower levels). More quests should be made, that way, we could all have a shot at getting some decent experience. Also, we should get more members for this. Tell your friends or others. Maybe someone that you don't even associate with, just try it. That way, everyone would get to see a wider variety of writing, maybe some legends in the making would be created. Please, I know at least one person out there agrees with me. I could really use some support on this, but if I am the only one, I'll back down.

Karuka
03-20-07, 12:36 AM
Easy, easy, hot-shot.

Althanas is a more homey sort of community than most other RP sites. Everybody here knows everybody, and when you come and stick around for a bit, you get adopted into the family. It's a big extended family. And when you chill out here, you have the equiv of a home-cooked meal and Thanksgiving-dinner banter, instead of a Big Mac, fries, and a coke to go.

People take what they feel they can handle, thread-wise, and story is more important than level. And new people join Althanas almost every day, and sometimes we have keepers, and other times they forget us and go away.

I'm all for Althanas growing, but not for forcing growth. That'd be like trying to put a four-lane highway in the midst of our nice fertile idea fields.

So you should wrangle up some people and get into some more threads, I think, instead of being bored.

And yeah, I'm new here, too. ^_^ Two months four days ago.

Am I adopted yet, guys?

Osato
03-20-07, 12:46 AM
Lol, Karuka, your definitely adopted.

I, myself, have been around for a long ass time. Althanas has never been the go go go that you seem to want to make it. Her analogy of the food was the most perfect way to describe Althy.

So, if you want to throw up a lot of quests, go for it. If you want to make a featured quest or some impact, I'd suggest trying the Athylia Verse, which was designed just for that.

Other than that, just sit back, relax, and watch and admire how your soul gets absorbed by Althanas and its people.

orphans
03-20-07, 01:00 AM
^^.... unfortunately... real life comes into a factor for many people as well and the only reason I'm on a lot this week is spring break.

Karuka
03-20-07, 01:02 AM
On a side note...my first completed quest was Althanas' version of a Big Mac, Fries, and a coke...and it didn't score amazingly well.

It still took 24 hours, lol.

Jaleco
03-20-07, 01:05 AM
dont ever tell locke what he cant do.

Uukan Kimari
03-20-07, 01:06 AM
*covers his eyes* I SEE NOTHING.

Haruka pretty much summed up althanas. Not everyone can pump out more than one post a day. Skill has little to do with speed or quantity. I suggest you join a tournament and see how people are forced to post within a margin, and it turns out horrible. Althanas is also about growth. Not just exp wise, but your writing ability. Learning new and creative methods to explain your characters actions.

If you are dissatisfied, you should write solos. Explore different styles of writing and always learn from mistakes.

Jaleco
03-20-07, 01:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAAEK9-fa9c

Jaleco
03-20-07, 01:31 AM
Ok, I'm sorry everyone, I guess the reason that I wanted more people is because I just don't think anyone here would appreciate me. I don't know, thanks, I hope that I'll get to be part of this family soon enough.

Zook Murnig
03-20-07, 01:32 AM
Personally, I've been iffy about new members when they show up ever since I became active here. I always check out their character profiles and determine how I think they'll do, or how long they'll stick around, based on the amount of effort they put into it. Like Karuka, for example. She devoted a lot of effort to converting her runes into possible spells, working everything out, and planning later abilities. That shows interest in my eyes. The Mime made an interesting character who is likely to creep everyone out despite how nice he really is, and he can't tell them that they're wrong. Devotion to an idea. Sometimes I'll see something that's really cliché and I won't think much of the character, deciding they'll have to prove their worth and originality during their tenure here.

My point is, I like that this is a community for improving writing and originality and all of that. We put effort into it in our own ways. I wouldn't invite just anyone to join here. It's special to me. I have friends who write well, and I invite them every so often to join. If they do, great. If they don't, that's okay, too.

On another note, I hope I've been adopted as well. I feel like I have been. And it feels good.

Jasmine
03-20-07, 01:44 AM
Dude...chill... most of us have jobs/school to do as well as post here. If I could post steadily once a day, that would be hyper-active compared to the usual 2-3 times a week that is often the norm.

Like it was said previously, if you want more stuff to do, then make it up and see whom comes along.

Jaleco
03-20-07, 02:09 AM
Can a mod please somehow delete this thread

Zook Murnig
03-20-07, 05:46 AM
No need. It'll end up losing activity and fall to the bottom of the list eventually. Waste of mod power to disrupt that.

Letho
03-20-07, 06:50 AM
Jaleco, don't feel bad or anything. There is nothing essentially wrong with your ideas. I think we would all like that Althanas has more members and that we can post more often and that there are more elaborate stories going on at the same time. But the fact of the matter is that the members are the ones that set the pace with their activity. Most of us that have been around for a while realized by now that if you try to drastically quicken that pace, a lot of people can't keep up (due to school, work, temporary lack of inspiration) and all you wind up with is a bunch of inactive or very slow-going events.

Your enthusiasm is commendable, Jaleco, and I assure you that if you stick around and try to adjust to this place, appreciation will come by itself.

Io Beauregard
03-20-07, 09:46 AM
I happen to agree with alot of what you said Jaleco. Although I don't mind Althanas taking up a minimal amount of time in my life, I wish it took up more and that my threads would move much faster so I wouldn't loose novelty/inspiration for them. On the other hand I'm glad it doesn't take over my life like it could. When I was in Aleria it took me less than fifteen minutes to produce a top notch post, but here it takes my forty five minutes to an hour. Once you observe the high standard of writing here, you'll be happy that you have time to write good posts. I sure am.

Max Dirks
03-20-07, 12:48 PM
I happen to agree with you Jaleco, if not 100%. Many of you don't remember the fast paced days of old where Max Dirks and his team of crackpot features moderators produced a surprise a day. It's my fault for not taking a more active role. Athylia's Verse is supposed to be the place to cure your posting needs, Jaleco, but no one posts there. It's ongoing RP. I wish someone would create a simple tavern thread and go with the flow. I will reward that person greatly.

Cyrus the virus
03-20-07, 02:56 PM
Not to be super lame, but... Perhaps the reason we don't remember those fast-paced days are because of how fast-paced they were?

aesculus
03-20-07, 04:34 PM
Uhhh... I personally love how slow Althanas is. Not that it would be a bad thing to have a fast-paced day once in a while. But I like it. Makes the thinking easier.

*pats* no worries it's your opinion. Although it sounds like you popped in from Gaia Online or something.

Letho
03-20-07, 04:48 PM
Not to be super lame, but... Perhaps the reason we don't remember those fast-paced days are because of how fast-paced they were?Not to mention that those fast-paced days usually meant lower quality of the writing. I'd rather that Althanas remains slow and keeps the quality then to see it expand and sacrifice the quality.

Uukan Kimari
03-20-07, 05:02 PM
Max, I am sure I remember the 400 post threads AH12 and a bunch of us produced.

Rajani Aishwara
03-20-07, 06:15 PM
I'm agreeing with Max Dirks this time, and I'm surprised and disappointed that Chidori/Io didn't express his true feelings here. Now I've been told of the days of the truly epic, and I mean Epic Featured Quest which left its remnats to this day. I've been told of the days when Power Groups would constantly be at IC odds for property. I've been told of epic tournaments that didn't consume the entirety of the active population in the site because the active population was much higher. I don't care if the righting quality was compromised, and if anyone tells me that I'm taking it with a grain of salt because I've been shown posts from there and I saw no lack of quality. I WANT TO LIVE THOSE DAYS! Since the novelty of this site has worn down over the years due to crashes and father time, the only way you're going to get that back is through smart advertising.

Nein
03-20-07, 06:15 PM
Love this slow paced forum, compared to the others I've been in. I've got a job, school, family and friends that all take precedence over my occasional writing. Since no one really expects much from me on a daily basis, I don't get stressed over producing a post and can take my time to write quality.

Besides, there's tons to do.

Quest Event Boards?

Civil War in Corone?

Siege in Fallien?

Go look around and I'm sure you'll find something interesting. I think this has been overstated though, so you can nevermind me and go back to being that active new member we all once were somewhere, at some point in time.

EDIT: Actually, I may be the only one of this 'active population' not consumed by the tournament because I missed the opening. I've only one account and such, so perhaps that's my own fault. xD

Lucien
03-20-07, 06:28 PM
I don't care if the righting quality was compromised... Ironic.

I prefer the slow pace too. A post ever two days or such with Letho is good enough for me because our stories are planned out and write well.

And a lot of oldbies will say that a lot of the writing sucked back then. Seeing a few threads from a more active time is not going to give you an accurate picture.

aesculus
03-20-07, 06:43 PM
Ironic.

I prefer the slow pace too. A post ever two days or such with Letho is good enough for me because are stories are planned out and write well.

And a lot of oldbies will say that a lot of the writing sucked back then. Seeing a few threads from a more active time is not going to give you an accurate picture.

Yes... if you play Gaia Online, Subeta, Neopets (*shudder*): roleplaying with the little n00blettes is a disaster left, right and centre.

I stand by my statement and agree with this one. Slow is good. =]

Rajani Aishwara
03-20-07, 09:10 PM
Not to mention that those fast-paced days usually meant lower quality of the writing.
Love this slow paced forum, compared to the others I've been in. I've got a job, school, family and friends that all take precedence over my occasional writing.
I prefer the slow pace too. A post ever two days or such with Letho is good enough for me because our stories are planned out and write well.Since consensus is going with the slow pace then I'll comply, and if those of you who were there vouch that the writing quality was compromised so badly that you're this intent on keeping the status quo then I'm okay with that.

A change in pace isn't all Jaleco was looking for, but when everyone saw that word it that's all they focused on. He primarily wanted an increase to the events and the overall activity, which I agree should happen as well. Increasing activity doesn't necessarily mean quickening the pace. It can also mean increasing the active member population. I'm pretty sure that alot of red lights went off just now, but please try and read ahead with an open mind.

I'm sure everyone here wouldn't mind having more coordinated events whether it may be a tournament like Althanaversary, an epic featured quest like the one years ago, or simply events like the Corone Civil War or the Seige of Fallien. I know it's all here, but I hope I'm not offending when I say none of it seems to be making as big a splash as I think it should. With a larger active member population we'd have more members to participate in these events thus making them more fun. A larger population can result in a larger staff, which would be able to coordinate more events simultaniously or to just lighten the load.

Another thing I'm sure everyone would like is more dependability. When a thread isn't responded to in a week I get worried that it's been abandoned. I'm sure some of you have put an open battle or quest up and it takes a while before someone responds, and there are even a few threads with no responses falling to the back pages. That's going to happen no matter what site we're on, but the proportion of threads like that to the number of completed threads is much higher here. The remedy to that is an increase in the active member population.

Now let's be realistic about a few things. It looked like almost every active member of this site signed on to Althanaversary. That's not a good thing. Every active member, every dependable player, was preoccupied with the tournament. The active member population compared to the real member population is dispraportionately small in this site. As any administrator or moderator of any other RP site can tell you, about a third of the real number of members are truly active. From what I see only about three hundred here are truly active. That's a little more than a tenth of our real member population. I figure it's because of what makes this site great, its advanced writing level. It's already been clear that such a thing won't be compromised, so the only way to significantly increase the active member population is to incease the real member population, and the only way to do that is to advertise.

So the bottom line is that I agree with Jaleco that there needs to be more activity, and the way to do that is to get more people here by advertising.

Jaleco
03-20-07, 11:30 PM
Wow, thanks. Nice interpretation. I figured that when I said tell friends about this site, that people would just want to tell their wirting buddies. Many of you kind of expanded on what I originally said.

Jaleco
03-20-07, 11:31 PM
And for those of you that clicked on the link... YES I CAN!

Io Beauregard
03-20-07, 11:39 PM
Wow, thanks. Nice interpretation. I figured that when I said tell friends about this site, that people would just want to tell their wirting buddies. Many of you kind of expanded on what I originally said. It's a habit of ours (good or bad). You can learn to love it or just ignore it. I do both lol.

Cyrus the virus
03-20-07, 11:51 PM
Christ, Rajani. Isn't it clear by now we don't give a shit about what other RP sites do? If you want a bigger player base, go to Alleria. It's really that simple. We've all made a collasal effort to get more people to join and pick up activity, but Althanas just isn't for everyone. If the entire staff had oodles of free time a day, we could do something lovely, I'm sure.

As it stands, we have the siege in Fallien. Are you taking advantage of that, trying to get people involved, or are you here telling other people what they should do? Same goes for any other event.

Ginx
03-20-07, 11:58 PM
to tell the truth I'm quite happy with Althanas' activity. There's lots of friendly people that are willing to rp with others and not stay in their little cocoons of friends, there was a little of that trouble in the past thanks to obsessions with JCs but now it's hardly a problem.

As for events I think they're fine as is. Events aren't for everyone and having to many forces people to conform to a massive plot instead of having their plots interact with each other, which bring out Althanas' best aspect, people telling their stories and having those stories mix.

It's just me but activity is one thing that I'm happy with. Though there are a few changes in the scoring and RoG that could use a little tweeking but that's a subject for another thread.

Jaleco
03-21-07, 12:01 AM
Cyrus, I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with you, but what is your problem. We're not trying to offend or attack you, but you try to fight back and defend anyways. There's nothing to defend against, you're like some vietnam veteran, still trying to fight when the war's over. Only in this case, no war has even been started.

Cyrus the virus
03-21-07, 12:11 AM
Though there are a few changes in the scoring and RoG that could use a little tweeking in my opinion but that's a subject for another thread.

;)

Also, Jal, you're right. I was pretty combative there and it was pretty silly of me. Sorry about that, Raj. Try to take what I said without all the pricky stuff added, alright?

Jaleco
03-21-07, 12:15 AM
Ok, thanks for not taking offense to what I said, also for being so quick to apologize.

Cyrus the virus
03-21-07, 12:18 AM
Oh, don't worry about it. I was out of line and can see that. I wish people were more up front about that sort of thing, sometimes. I really don't come across well on forums, sometimes!

The Writing Writer
03-21-07, 01:41 AM
Pertaining to things said on the first and second page...

I've been here two years and STILL don't feel i've eben adopted -_-

Karuka
03-21-07, 01:46 AM
*Pokes at Osato*

Tell the kid he's adopted already.

And maybe you'd feel more comfy if you stuck with a character, Mister has-had-at-least-three-characters-since-Karu-has-become-aware-of-him.

The Writing Writer
03-21-07, 01:57 AM
lol im indecisive. but i think this ones gonna take me a ways.....that is if kyle posts >.>

Osato
03-21-07, 02:09 AM
SHITE! Your accepted! You are all accpeted! I LOVE YOU ALL!

-sigh-

I hope everyone's happy now, lol. Anyway, I love althy the way it is, slow fast, it doesn't matter to me. The only thing I have to actually add is that I don't really think that the days of Althy when people posted quickly was any worse than now. I joined 4 years ago, have seen a lot of quests and battle, a lot of people come and go. I must personally say that nobody here, in my humble and probably rude opinion, has written anything better than what I saw from Yari (and his others), the oldies that aren't around anymore, but most especially Wolftrappe.

If you want to throw out that the quality of posts are better now that's somewhat bullheaded and rude to those that helped found this site. I'm not trying to be rude, but that small comment threw me off a lot...

Aryr de Morte
03-21-07, 07:46 AM
If you want fast-paced posting just start a bunch of threads. Problem solved. You'll have a new post almost every day in at least one of them.

Most of the time.

Nymph and Dragon
03-21-07, 02:50 PM
If you want fast-paced posting just start a bunch of threads. Problem solved.

I don't know if I agree with that one. I've joined about . . . nine different quests with this character, all of which have been dead for at least the last two months. I'm having trouble finding people who will finish quests they start.:(

But maybe that's a personal problem . . .
:rolleyes:

orphans
03-21-07, 04:49 PM
-raises hand- :x I'd quest with anyone, but I don't think many people are too interested with a 12 year old character. Not exactly the most exciting prey either if people are looking to battle someone...

Rajani Aishwara
03-21-07, 08:57 PM
I'd like to make a few things clear. Even though the whole thing is reconciled, I never ever ever say or imply that Althanas needs to be like other sites. I just used these comparisons to alert you to Althanas' unique situation just in case someone wants to try to increase the activity in this site. I don't understand why everyone's so afraid of more activity or new members. It's like the immigration scare. If the moderators keep their high standards the quality won't be compromised, the pace won't quicken just because there are more people here, and a staff expansion will help with the influx.

An I am participating in one of these events, the Corone Civil War. Not directly seeing as there isn't really an invitation to join it, but I am using it. Let me just ask you guys this.

Wouldn't you like more people to play with?
Wouldn't you like to see some of these events to be wider in scope?
Wouldn't you like a larger staff to score and reward you even faster? (although I'm satisfied with it)
Wouldn't the staff like to be larger so that certain events don't take up alot of their effort?

If nothing else it would be nice to see some of the attention paid to Flying Stone Tavern gone to IC. I know it's easier to post there because it isn't IC and you don't have to think hard about it, but I encourage everyone to just try writing an IC post for every two Flying Stone posts from now on. That would drastically increase IC activity without compromising the quality.

Karuka
03-21-07, 09:00 PM
Flying Stone is what makes this place a community.

Rajani Aishwara
03-21-07, 09:04 PM
Flying Stone is what makes this place a community.
I hope that's not all you got out of my last message. I never said to get rid of it. I never said to abandon it. I'm just saying that redirecting some of the attention gone into the Flying Stone Tavern would help improve the place ICly.

Flying Stone may make this place a community, but it's the IC world that makes this place Althanas.

Letho
03-21-07, 09:26 PM
I actually agree with you, Rajani, on the whole FST issue. While it makes people bond, it is also a distraction that takes people away from IC stuff. But so do AIM convos and a lot of other things. The fact of the matter is you can't have one without the other. What good is an increase in IC activity if the atmosphere isn't as friendly as it is now?

I'd like to say something on the activity you keep mentioning though. I don't think anybody is against more members. But it's not like there's a switch that we can flip and, viola, we have more members. It takes extensive recruitment (and honestly, I wouldn't know where to even begin) and even then the results would be questionable.

Should we try more to have more members? Absolutely. But it's not something that can happen overnight.

AdventWings
03-21-07, 09:30 PM
And some of us are not exactly "effective" at nudging people to this site and keep them interested for long. Like it had been said somewhere up there before, Althanas offers a rather unique Internet niche for aspiring writers who want to improve. Some people might not feel comfortable knowing that someone else might be reading what the writer would consider "crap" by their own standards...

:p

Aryr de Morte
03-21-07, 09:52 PM
During a conversion I had the behind-the-scenes problems were brought up. More staff would mean more differing opinions and more arguing. More arguing might get even less done. There's the good and the bad with every option.

Zook Murnig
03-21-07, 10:46 PM
We don't need new staff. Not yet, anyway. If staff numbers drop, however, due to IRL problems or Althanas issues, we might need to have more staff members recruited from our ranks. And if we get a substantial amount of newcomers who actually post actively, we might need to have more staff members recruited from our ranks.

Personally, I feel like the Flying Stone Tavern is a really big distraction for me, though. Granted, I allow that for myself and even encourage people to distract me further, but still. It's a habit and I have to get my fix.

Jaleco
03-21-07, 11:04 PM
I just want to say that no one expects it to happen over night.

Cyrus the virus
03-21-07, 11:44 PM
There's something you guys aren't really aware of. We've had recruiting sprees before, and they've gone well. At one point we were getting two hundred posts a day or something like that. As you can see, not everybody stuck around. We actually HAVE a recruitment staff headed by Max Dirks.

This might be a good opportunity to mention that we don't need more staff. Some of the staff, however, me included, need to put at least a minimal amount of effort into what they're doing instead of clinging onto their position, completely unwilling to face the fact that their lack of shit-giving is essentially poison to the site.

Anyhow, there are a few ways to get Althanas up there. We're listed on a top 100 voting site I used to vote on daily, but despite it taking only 20 seconds to do, not a lot of people voted. If I had the link, still, I'd probably post it somewhere and try to get people to vote.

Aryr de Morte
03-22-07, 07:20 AM
Althanas was on the 138th page when I googled "role play(ing) forums"

Io Beauregard
03-22-07, 11:43 AM
There's something you guys aren't really aware of. We've had recruiting sprees before, and they've gone well. At one point we were getting two hundred posts a day or something like that. As you can see, not everybody stuck around. We actually HAVE a recruitment staff headed by Max Dirks. Recruiting sprees are for giving birth to a site, not for keeping it alive or helping it to grow. Max Dirks and I talked about this during my first days here. I'm sure someone's going to hate me for saying this, but if you want to get a smooth steady consistant flow of retainable members, all you need is a good affiliation with a handfull of other sites. The page won't be filled to the brim with ads if you only pick a small number of them.

Aryr de Morte
03-22-07, 12:52 PM
We don't need new staff. Not yet, anyway. If staff numbers drop, however, due to IRL problems or Althanas issues, we might need to have more staff members recruited from our ranks. And if we get a substantial amount of newcomers who actually post actively, we might need to have more staff members recruited from our ranks.

I meant that more members would mean more staff (I would assume). More staff would bring about the mentioned problems.

Stray
03-30-07, 01:19 PM
Actions speak louder than words.

Taliel Escabre
03-30-07, 02:36 PM
I miss Jess.

Cyrus the virus
03-30-07, 05:43 PM
She doesn't like it here very much.

Taliel Escabre
03-30-07, 08:46 PM
She doesn't like it here very much.

Boo. Make her like it again!

I personally miss the old Tanthanas...someone should seriously think about bringing that skin back, for nostalgia's sake. That's when epic stories were formed and it was exciting to come home from work/school to see what new little addition to your quest had been made.

Letho
03-30-07, 09:27 PM
All that you Tanthanas people ever do nowadays is bitch how everything was better "back in the day".

Reiko
03-30-07, 11:13 PM
meh I remember tan Althanas and it was best during it's final days when it was more or less like now. I had two characters back then but didn't consider them joining Althanas because I pretty much couldn't get a single thread going and would give up. I did have a third character that worked during the final days but the community was much more accepting.

And as for Jess she never seemed to have any fun while around. It'd be cool to see her here and having fun with other people but I just don't see anything more than doing solos and having people drool over them.

Bernard
03-31-07, 12:07 AM
I had two characters back then too. One was a P.O.S. merc who just plain sucked...the other was my still in use character, Koran. :D

Tanthanas was fun...mainly because it was a new environment for me!

And I probably said all that, and it had nothing to do with the subject of the thread. Woohoo!

>.>

Ther
04-06-07, 11:23 PM
In a way I agree with some of what's been said here - I don't know why some posts are 3-4 paragraphs long when it seems a paragraph could do the trick. Battles were actually intended to be, when created, really quick affairs that could be completed in a day or two or three, and as time went on they just got more ornate and more detailed.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a "Speed Battle" forum or marker of some sort, though, that could be used for people who want a faster pace...thoughts on that subject?

Aryr de Morte
04-06-07, 11:27 PM
Possibly, it may require a special rubric or something for judging. The way it works now I don't think that any of those battles would receive high scores at all and that would make them kind of "not worth it".

If there was a more lax rubric and have the battle labeled as a "Speed Battle" or something, I think that would work well.

Zook Murnig
04-07-07, 12:17 AM
The reason, in my opinion, for the ornate nature of a battle's posts is because a battle is a straight competition in writing skill. Whoever writes better wins, regardless of the IC outcome. Perhaps for greater incentive in speed, or at least lesser incentive in writing flourish (while still existant), the new Speed Battle thread type should include in the rubric a small influence from the actual outcome of the battle ICly, based on how each participant fought and who won. To balance the likelihood of higher level characters trouncing every low-level player they meet in this type of thread, there might be a limitation for these Speed Battles for them to include only characters within a couple levels of power difference.

Cyrus the virus
04-07-07, 12:19 AM
Pff, you would limit my fun by making it so Luc can't trounce a level 0 butthead? We are enemies now!

I like the idea of a speed battle rubric. But please, nobody suggest a 'speed quest' rubric... Please. We get enough of those as it is, don't we?

Aryr de Morte
04-07-07, 12:53 AM
Also, less experience would be in order I would say. Speed Battles would be 1000% overused to level if they gave the same amount of experience.

Cyrus the virus
04-07-07, 01:03 AM
Very true. Because if a level 0 beats a level 6 they get 50 billion EXP, it'd be easy to try and abuse.

Maybe like 50% of typical battle EXP for the winner?

Letho
04-07-07, 06:53 AM
I for one don't agree with this speed battle idea. It looks like a perfectly good excuse for sloppiness and lack of effort. I feel that these speed battles would wind up promoting what we don't want to promote and that's quantity and speed over quality. Besides, nobody is stopping people from making a speed battle now, under this system.

Aryr de Morte
04-07-07, 08:38 AM
Well, there's good arguments for both sides. The experience and spoils for a battle would have to be severely decreased if it was to go into effect. If people created speed battles now the current rubric would totally kill them.

Although, I suppose you would get experience equivalent to what you would get if a new rubric just for speed battles was applied. Your score just won't look good.

Cyrus the virus
04-07-07, 01:10 PM
Mm... Well, speed battles now pretty much net you as much EXP as you deserve :p I can write a speed battle and pull a 50 out of it, it's just a matter of being fast AND putting in a little bit of effort. So I dunno.

Maybe someone should try a speed battle and we can see how it turns out.

Karuka
04-07-07, 01:36 PM
We HAD a speed battle in the tourney, or don't you remember?

You owe me a battle anyway, as soon as you get done with Fen and that other guy. So I don't see why that couldn't be our battle.

Cyrus the virus
04-07-07, 02:10 PM
That's what I consider a good speed battle, as it had some quality and story to it. When I think 'speed battle' in this sense, I think of pure action with little to no setup or story. But that's a definition we should sort out, I suppose!

AdventWings
04-08-07, 07:39 AM
Citadel.

Of course, it could just be a random non-sanctioned battle out there by the name of some crazy rich guy. Or by that guy who owned the Piston's Pleasure Paradise. Dirks would know who I'm talking about. ;)

Tuxlie
04-08-07, 08:22 AM
In my opinion, ya shouldn't need a "speed battle" type system. I mean hell, if you can get the point of your post across well enough with only a paragraph and don't need to add 2-3 paragraphs worth of frills, then by all means. It all depends on the writers.

Cyrus the virus
04-08-07, 04:24 PM
I seem to recall Citadel battles being awfully heavy on story and character, like quests are. Try again, perhaps?

Aryr de Morte
04-09-07, 12:22 AM
A "Speed Battle" rubric?

Instead of the usual rubric maybe something more like this should be in place, all of it being based of description of the current scene, and action. This would be instead of including character development, background, and reasons. You'll see.

The Battle:

Action:

The main actions of the battle, what the people do and how the writer describes these actions. Also obviously affected by things such as suspense and wonder while the battle is occurring, a "what will happen next," kind of thing for the reader. Originality of the battle would tie in with this.

Score from 1 to 10

Setting:

Description of any necessary and important setting features, obviously the more description the better (unless you write way too much, remember this is a "speed battle"). Things such as footing (the ground), things to hide behind, etc.

Score from 1 to 10

Realism:

Mostly, did you ignore your opponents attack or not? Did your attack seem realistic considering your character's skill level with a weapon? This would be based more upon the attention payed to the opponent's posts and also your character's written profile.

Score from 1 to 10

Writing:

Mechanics:

Did you use capitalization, punctuation, and spelling correctly? If your words or sentences make the reader go, "What the?!" then you'll score lower here.

Score from 1 to 10

Style:

Does your writing flow and keep the reader reading and not having to use a find tooth comb to find what's happening? If it does you'll score high. Do you stay consistent from post to post? These questions represent style.

Score from 1 to 10

This would make for shorter and more lax judging (or something closely related to this rubric). The experience would have to be figured out and all that but this is just a rough idea. Just throwing this out there.

Chiroptera
04-09-07, 11:56 PM
I don't like the idea of limiting who can battle who based on level,to go back to something that was said earlier. I'd like to battle upper level kids, even though they'd whip my characters' tails in seconds, because it's good practice to post with people who are better or at a higher level than you. The great thing about the battle scores being based on writing is that people can kill off their own characters and still technically win, which is really cool.

Karuka
04-10-07, 12:01 AM
Gyah, not kill off.

I don't want Karu to die permanently when she faces off against Luc.

That is, if Cyrus still plans on that battle occurring while Karu still has her magical abilities.

EDIT:

Yeah, I meant in the Citadel

Reiko
04-10-07, 12:09 AM
The great thing about the battle scores being based on writing is that people can kill off their own characters and still technically win, which is really cool.

I actually remember killing off a character and losing OOC. Such a waste the character was dead and he got all the exp and the stuff sold for next to nothing. Although in the citadel where they can come back it isn't so bad.

I do like the simpler rubric. Though I really think there should be a space for character, without character the battles could end up sooo dull. Even quickies need character.

Chiroptera
04-10-07, 09:52 PM
I was referring to battles in the Citadel. I didn't realize they could take place anywhere else.

Can they? That would be another possibility, to have another fighting zone, maybe like an arena or something in another region.

grim137
04-10-07, 09:55 PM
You can technically fight anywhere. The only difference between the Citadel and everywhere else aside from the illusion stuff and the monks is that the citadel gives you a guaranteed way to come back from the dead with all your stuff and abilities where as while you could technically do that anywhere else, it would be entirely up to you to come up with a plausable reason for it.

LordLeopold
04-28-07, 06:02 PM
I happen to agree with you Jaleco, if not 100%. Many of you don't remember the fast paced days of old where Max Dirks and his team of crackpot features moderators produced a surprise a day.

Hahahahahahaha

Cyrus the virus
04-28-07, 10:36 PM
I agree with this laughter, but for the additional reason of the term 'crackpot'! Haha.

thorn aldsmith
06-16-07, 09:30 PM
whats to stop someone posting that they will be online for however many hours on whatever day and they want a fight to happen then and it'll be fast fight?