PDA

View Full Version : The Mark and "Truth"

orphans
03-28-07, 12:25 AM
Closed~ Solo, or attempt rather >< I know I need practice on action so I'm trying to gear this a little more towards that as well as development of Azza's character and those around her.
Strands of moonlight crept quietly through the night casting odd shadows and strange dancing shapes. In the orphanage while the others were peacefully sleeping there stood a small pale girl bathed in the soft light. Staring up into the diamond sky she brushed a few strands of her white hair away from her face and then quite suddenly, smiled. Outside in the tall grass, crickets chipped in the night as a warm summer breeze sweep through the town of Underwood.

“Azza?” a soft voice called out, “Can’t sleep again?” A pair of tired eyes checked the other children before it focused once more upon the girl.

“Mother Holly…” the girl started but trailed off in thought. The normally energetic vortex of activity seemed to be a whole other person now. Touching the recent wound on her arm only induced a grimace. “What were my parents like?”

The expression of the kindly woman was that of sympathy and yet pained at the mention of the girl's parents. Coming over to the small girl, she wrapped her arms carefully about the girl’s shoulders, comforting her as best she could. “I wish I could tell you, Azza. I truly wish I could.”

Tilting her head up to gaze into the woman’s eyes, she searched for the answers that were not there and in the end, could only give a silly smile. “Azza supposes they gone.”

“Now child… don’t think like that. Get to sleep. You’re heading to the city again with Old Jacob tomorrow.” Leading her with a gentle hand, she tucked the girl back into her bed before kissing the girl’s forehead goodnight.

“Will Mother Holly hum Azza to sleep?” Looking up with pleading eyes, the woman couldn’t help but let out a quiet laugh.

“Of course, I guess it wouldn’t hurt would it?” Settling upon a stool nearby, the woman began a slow and gentle melody. It flowed easily from within her, familiar, eerie, and yet serene. Such were the melodies of her own uneasy past.

Azza’s eyes drooped slowly and steady on their own accord. Soon, they shut themselves and before long, her mind was swept far away to the realm of dreams. Breathing steadily and softly, the peaceful feeling of watching the child was shattered only with a cough from one of the other children down the row.

Checking all the children one last time, the kindly lady made her way back to the window and stared out into the heavens and offered a silent prayer. ‘Thayne, guide this girl. Lord knows, I can’t forever…’ Turning her eyes to the child once more, she managed a smile before padding to her own room quietly. Outside, the crickets themselves seem to answer the prayer in their own way by chirping softly in unison. The night promised to be uneventful and the land of dreams, calm. ‘If only I could help her… there must be some frightening demons within her dreams…’ Blowing out the candle by her bed stand, the kindly woman pulled up the loose sheets and closed her eyes for the night. ‘Thayne watch over all these children.’

orphans
04-01-07, 07:40 PM
A few days prior…

“Joseph! This is a pleasant surprise, I hardly see you anymore since you’ve left here.” With a bright smile, the young man bound up the steps of the orphanage to embrace the kindly woman with a quick hug.

“It has been a long time Mother Holly. Old Jacobs all wired up in bed with an awful something so he sent me over.” Moving in onto the room with the woman, they sat down upon a pair of vacant chair while a few children ran past them. “Children plenty abound still.” He gave a hearty laugh from his barreled chest before running a rough hand through his brown locks.

“The least I can do to repent for my past but tell me how you’ve been first.” Getting up to fish a few cups from a cupboard she couldn’t quite reach the lad came over quickly to help. “Helpful as ever.”

“Least I can do for a gray mother!” he replied quickly with a snicker, which was met with equal speed and a playful swat to the head by the lady.

“And rude as before.” Taking the cups from him, she poured some tea from a pot on the table and then handed it to him.

“I’ve been very well and I’ve taken to the life of a merchant easily I should say. Old Jacob usually has me help him with the paperwork.” Drinking deeply he finished it within a gulp or two before setting the cup down. “He told me to come here first before heading to Radasanth. Said he had a helper here.”

“Oh you mea-” she began as Azza suddenly streaked by, holding a turtle while being followed by a few children. The noise they made seemed to make the woman’s head ring as she shouted above them, “Children! Run outside!”

The group tried to stop together at once but instead collided to form a pile of giggling children. Of course, they all tried to separate as quickly as possible while bubbling out apologizes that sounded more like hyenas laughing. Both Joseph and the kindly lady went to help them and couldn’t help but laugh along with them. The turtle Azza had been holding managed to make its way outside the door and just as the kindly woman began her lecture, they all bolted for the turtle once more.

“Azza! Come back here!” Nearly falling over herself again, the small girl came dashing back and stood in front of the two. “Azza, this is Joseph. Joseph, this is the Old Jacob’s helper.”

A smile stretched itself across the little girl’s face as she piped out, “Azza know why! Azza gather things!” and without waiting for their response, she ran into another room.

“You’ll have to excuse her, she is a little too energetic.”

“That is quite alright, Mother. Seems like she’ll be wonderful company to bring along.” Snickering a little at a private thought, he let slip under his breath, “Much like you before your hair started to gray,” as he strode towards the door in a casual manner.

“I heard that!”

“Azza ready!” the child exclaimed while dodging around the kindly lady before jumping out the door.

“Azza be careful!” the kindly lady screamed after her but came to the door way just in time to see the small girl trip. Cringing at the looks of what could be the girl hurting herself, she sighed out a breath of relief as Joseph caught her hand. “You two travel safely.”

“We will Mother.” He responded, along with a brisk wave before he craned his head over to watch the girl climb up next to him. Standing up on the seat, the girl waved back before plopping down next to the man with a satisfied grin. With a couple of clicks from his tongue, the two-horse team began a slow trot down the road to Radasanth.

orphans
04-12-07, 10:20 PM
Nothing could have prepared Joseph for Azza’s energy but he didn’t mind it either. It was refreshing to have a traveling partner who was talkative. The ambiance of the forest road, the creaking of the wagon wheels and the sounds of their conversation blended together in the peaceful morning trip. Radasanth was a ways off still but the time seemed to pass much quickly when you had someone to talk to.

The first question Azza had asked caught Joseph completely off guard. Her curious eyes had been staring at him for a little while before she suddenly piped, “Joseph married?”

With a bit of a snicker, he answered after careful thought. “Not yet, but soon I hope.”

“Anyone Azza know?”

“Hmm… I don’t know, you might. Do you know the baker’s daughter?” Azza shook her head. “Well she’s the one.” With a smile he whispered quickly to her, “Don’t tell anyone alright?”

“Azza good with secrets.” Tugging on his sleeve a little, she pointed to the two horses. “What are their names?”

The two horses were both brown but the one on the left had a single splash of white near its ears. Pointing a finger at that one, he said proudly, “That one is Starfire. He was a bit of a runt when he was first born but look at him now.”

“Runt?”

Pondering how to explain the meaning, he finally settled and said, “He was smaller than normal.”

“Like Azza?”

Giving a resounding laugh from his chest while giving his knee a slap, he looked over to her and shook his head. “Of course not. You’re a human. For humans we just simply say the child is small.”

“Aah! Azza understand.”

Pointing to the other to the other horse, he stated with a bit of the remaining laughter, “And that one is Sure Step. He’s an older horse but reliable.”

“How old?”

“I’d say about twenty five. Older than me though.” As if to affirm this, the horse gave a snort while the other seemed to neigh in laughter.

“Younger than Mother Holly,” the small girl replied while nodding her head.

Hearing her seemingly serious statement enticed a roar of laughter from Joseph. Holding his side for what felt like forever, he finally regained his composure as he wiped away a tear at the corners of his eyes. “If she ever heard you say that, she’d have my hide.”

“Mother Holly also says that her hair is turning white because she gets old. Azza’s hair is white. Does that mean Azza is getting old too?”

“I suppose, but not as old as Holly.” Ruffling the little girl’s hair with a rough hand, he flashed her quick smile. “She’s climbing up there in age really but no one knows how old she is except herself.”

The girl only nodded her head. For the remainder of the journey things remained uneventful. The two continued to chat about life in the town and of past festivals. Once reaching the city of Radasanth, the two jumped out of the cart. First priority was to water and feed the two horses. Joseph left the task up to Azza while he pushed past the crowds and people to find the supplies needed from the market.

Luckily, there wasn’t much to bring back this time, but finding what was needed was the trick. Giant spider mandibles, gizzard of fire lizards, and pigmy bear claws. Just who the hell exactly needed these? Taking the greater part of the morning and noon to find the requested ingredients and bringing them back to the cart, he was pleased to find Azza talking to the horses. The pair of them seemed to take a liking to the small child. Glancing at the list quickly and mentally marking down what was already obtained he gave a smile before calling Azza over. The child raced over to Joseph and tilted her head curiously in attention. “We have a few more things to get, can you get the Starfire and Sure Step ready to go when I come back?”

Jumping up, she reached for the list. Watching the girl with an amused stare, he realized after a moment at what she wanted before handing it to her. Taking the sheepskin parchment she smiled and nodded. “Azza get them ready. They tell Azza stories.”

Laughing a little as he watched her move away to ready the team, Joseph pressed on into the store right next to the cart.

“The usual wheat shipment?” a gruff voice called out from the counter.

“Of course, but this time a double order. Summer festival is coming up and the bakers are fretting about how much they’re going to need.”

“Alright. Give me a few to bring it up from the cellar.”

Bringing the supplies out and after loading them onto the cart Joseph paid the man and hopped onto the seat next to Azza. “Ready to go back before Mother Holly tans my hide for taking so long?”

Handing the reins over to him, the girl nodded. “Mother Holly isn’t that mean.”

Chuckling as he clicked his tongue, he mumbled quietly to himself, “We’ll see.” Upon hearing Joseph’s signal, the horses began a slow trot. “Why not take a nap, I’ll wake you.”

Azza shook her head and turned to him with a wide grin. “Starfire and Sure Step tell me stories. Stories of you and Mother Holly.”

orphans
05-01-07, 01:06 PM
Perking a single brow at the girl for a moment he let out a laugh of disbelief at what she said. Passing it off as childhood imagination he reached over to ruffle her hair a little. “Oh they did now did they? They didn’t tell any secrets did they?”

The girl had been watching the field off to the side of the road curious about the flowers she saw there before hearing what Joseph asked her. She shook her head before returning her attention to him once more. “Azza asked but they wouldn’t tell. Says yous trust them too much.”

“Oh really now? What did they tell you then?” He had to admit, the girl’s imagination interested him and he was curious to see if perhaps she could guess anything correctly. Clucking his tongue for the horses to pick up the pace he then reached behind his seat for a water bottle. What Azza said next, however, nearly made him choke upon the water.

“Mother Holly trained Joseph to fight. Sure Step said he watched when he was young.” A pleased smile turned upon her face as she continued on. “Starfire says that Joseph also likes to drink himself silly.”

Rubbing the back of his neck with a heavy hand he gave a sort of nervous laughter while giving the small girl an impressed glance. “Well I suppose you’ve pretty much hit things on the head. Are you telling the truth that the horses told you?”

“Azza sure.”

For a long time there was silence between the two with only the ambience of the road to distract them from the other. Azza herself was easily distracted with the sights of the woods they were entering and the songbirds. Joseph on the other hand was distracted by his own thoughts of the child.

‘Old Jacob always said there was something odd about the girl… but he says that about anyone. It’s true that she does look odd and the symbol upon her back…’ He had been cautioned by Mother Holly not to ask Azza about the mark but what was the harm in just asking? She was after all just a child. “Azza, do you know anything about that mark upon your back?”

Tilting her head to look at Joseph in a manner as if he had lost his mind she then shrugged before smiling. “Azza doesn’t know but perhaps ask Azza again when Azza older.”

Having expected the answer to be bizarre or even slightly out of the ordinary, Joseph was somewhat disappointed in the answer he received. Giving a hearty laugh as he rubbed at the back of his neck once more, the two plodded on for a little while more.

“Azza wishes Azza knew were parents are. Where Azza is from.” Seeing the surprised look on the man’s face, she giggled a little before stretching her left arm high into the air towards the cloudy sky. "Azza wants to fly one day! To find where Azza from."

The child was indeed strange but Joseph easily came to the conclusion that the girl was pretty harmless. He didn’t have much time to think after that. The same instant Azza raised her arm an arrow pierced it and effectively stopped it a few inches from his face. She screamed in agony while Joseph quickly urged the horses on faster with a shout of his own.

“Bandits?!” Cursing under his breath as the cart thundered down the road, he wrapped an arm around the child and kept her body low. “Of all the damn days it had to be today!”

orphans
08-08-07, 11:35 PM
Another arrow flew in fast but was too low as it embedded itself into the back of the cart. Turing his head he cursed under his breath once more to see two men on horseback bearing down on them. There was no real hope of out running them in a fully laden cart leaving Joseph with only one real option: stand and fight.

Thankfully only one of the two men carried a bow. Grasping under the cart’s seat for something, he handed the reins controlling the horses to Azza. Unsure if she knew of what was happening, he tried to speak calmly but there was an obvious panic in his voice, “Guide the horses and don’t worry, I’ll take care of them.”

There was an obvious fear that danced in the girl’s eyes as she grasped onto the reins with unsteady hands. Blood was flowing strangely fast from the wound as if the arrow had already been removed. Joseph only noticed briefly but his mind was more worried about her driving them into a ditch. If indeed what she said was true about the horses then perhaps they were smart enough to know the situation and avoid a catastrophe. Wrapping his hand around the handle of his sword, he swung himself into the back of the cart and kicked a can of something at the man aiming to fire another arrow. It didn’t hit him but it did startle him enough to send his arrow somewhere else completely.

In the middle of cursing Joseph, he then watched with surprise as his partner leap from his horse and landed on the back of the cart. “You idiot!” the man with the bow shouted out in annoyance. With his partner’s one move, he effectively blocked future shots at Joseph. Without a reply to his screaming friend, he advanced towards Joseph with a curved blade at the ready, eyes narrowed.

To say this was the first time Joseph has had to deal with bandits would be far from the truth. He wasn’t very concerned for himself, but it was the problem of drawing their attention away from Azza. “Damn it… traveling alone is much easier.”

“Give up and we might spare you!” yelled the one with a sword as he came closer and closer. “Besides, we don’t want to hurt the merchandise anymore now do we?” he asked in almost a taunting tone before giving out a cackle and then lunged at Joseph.

orphans
12-16-07, 06:08 PM
Joseph didn’t know whether he was going to die first from the man’s blade or his boring prattle. Did all villains have to enter a near-soliloquy before they engaged their opponent? Still, it was always nice how one could almost tell when they were going to actually launch the attack. Parrying the man’s blade with his own rather dull sword he then gave a deft kick with his right boot into the man’s chest. Watching with a slight satisfaction as the man landed on the basket of pigmy bear claws, Joseph almost felt sorry for the man as he screamed out in agony from the dozen or so points lodged in his behind. Flailing about did little to help him as he dropped his sword out of his reach.

The man’s partner saw his chance of a clear shot and notched another arrow quickly. There was a moment of horror in Joseph’s mind as his eyes and the man’s caught each other. There was no way to avoid it in the confines of the wagon besides jumping over board but that would mean leaving a child to fend for herself.

“End of the line, boy!” the man shouted out above thundering of the wagon. Even in his dire situation, the man’s remark seemed to annoy something fierce in Joseph. Perhaps it was the idea that he was going to die soon and that the man just had to drag it out with a stupid comment. “Prepare to meet yo-“ the man was shouting before he was cut off by the sound of Azza yelling a single word.

“Duck!!”

Not thinking twice about the command Joseph ducked his body down. It was only after he had done so did he question his actions of lowering himself to an enemy. Joseph was just about to raise his head when he saw a thin shadow cast over his body and then a mere second later he heard a gurgling scream. Raising his head, he saw that the man with the bow seemed to have been cloth-lined by a low tree branch as the cart rounded a bend while his horse continued to give chase. “Classic…” he managed to mumble to himself before turning his eyes to the one man left still on the bucket of claws.

“Get me out of here!” the man yelled while flailing about.

“Well I suppose I wouldn’t want you screaming your head off at me the whole way to town would I?”

The man ceased his struggling to peer at Joseph with an eye of distrust but his voice gave a hint of hopefulness. “You’d help me out?”

“Course!” Joseph replied cheerfully. “I’d be happy to give you a hand…” Extending his hand for the man to grab, he waited until the bandit grabbed a hold before pulling up to stand along with the basket. “…out of this wagon!” Joseph then finished before giving the man’s arm a quick wack with his blunt sword.

Yelling out in pain and anger, he left go in an attempt to strangle Joseph but only met again with the formerly acquainted right boot to the chest. Soon, he found himself sailing out of the wagon, landing basket-of-claws first before rolling along a few more times and was then out of sight as the wagon rounded another bend.

orphans
12-30-07, 10:33 PM
With the threat of the bandit pair over, Joseph heaved a massive sigh of relief. “Azza, you can slow us down now,” he called back to her as he went to pick up the sword that was dropped by the man. Inspecting the sword quickly for any insignia he then grimaced a bit in annoyance. There was nothing signifigant about the quality nor was there anything that would give away anything about the bandits.

A sudden rough bump jostled him to his senses as he called out once more, “Azza slow down.” There was no response. Turning around to look at the front seat he saw the small girl slumped against the seat. His moment of triumph seemed years long gone now that he was faced with this new crisis.

Letting both blades drop from his hands he yelled out the small girl’s name again in vain. The two swords clattered on the wooden floor and rolled themselves along the goods leaving Joseph free to scramble along quickly to the driver seat. Swinging himself over quickly, he at once regretted that decision as he slipped on the blood slicked floor. Thanking his lucky stars he didn’t launch himself off the wagon he grabbed the reins from Azza’s limp hold and slowed the pair of horses down to a gentle trot. Satisfied with their steady speed Joseph then tied the reins to a small handle close by.

“Azza?” he said again but softer this time. There was no response. “How did this happen?” he wondered as sliver of panic began to scratch at his mind. “You... you’ll be fine Azza,” he said more to himself. Needless to say Joseph was slightly dumbstruck at how an arrow in her forearm could have bled her so much. It didn’t even seem possible unless… she wasn't human!

Shaking the irrational thought from his head he focused himself once more. Placing a finger below her nose he was relieved that he could feel her feint breathing. Cursing at himself for not knowing proper first aid, he looked about for a clean cloth. No such luck. With or without the cloth he needed to remove the arrow. Perhaps it the arrow was poisoned and that’s why the bleeding didn’t stop! If that was the case he needed to hurry back quickly. Breaking the shaft of the arrow he then slid the wood out of the girl’s arm carefully. He was partly glad she didn’t respond except for a slight flinching of her eyelids. What could he use for clean cloth though? He didn’t want to make it any worse by infecting the wound with filth. Without any other alternative he simply torn off one of his sleeves and then bound her wound with it.

Untying and picking up the reins again, he hurried the horses with a few clicks of his tongue. Letting out a sigh of resignation, he felt slightly relieved that the worst seemed to be over and yet because of such a simple trip for the summer festival a little girl's life was ebbing away. That was when he let out a groan of horror. “Mother Holly is going to tan my hide for sure this time…”