PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

Nero
04-22-07, 06:23 PM
I found the trailer here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rCKIbbhTcQ), which is freakin' awesome because I'm one of those advent PotC lovers and think this movie is going to be ridiculously awesome. Any feedback on the trailer and thoughts on the movie after May25th? Let's hear about them!!

Reiko
04-22-07, 06:31 PM
Well I'm going to see it just because I need to see how it ends. Dead Man's Chest was not as good as I would like. Where Curse of the Black Pearl went at breakneck pace with tons of fun and great Characters, Dead man's chest was plodding and slow, only had a few fun scenes in the beginning and didn't get really fun until near the end and then ended on a really bad cliffhanger.

Still at World's End could be awesome if there's none of the pointless exposition of Dead Man's Chest. I really hope that's the case.

Karuka
04-22-07, 06:36 PM
^_^ I can't wait and I'm totally going to the midnight showing if I can possibly at all manage it and there's gonna be so much adrenaline and my Pirates fanatics friends and it's gonna be so COOL!

<3

Artifex Felicis
04-22-07, 06:42 PM
Chinese Pirates!

Well, I'm seeing it.

Still, so long as the fights are well done, it keeps it's serious humor, and there's as many small jokes as the first two it should be good. Better wrap stuff up though. Be pissed at another freaking cliffhanger.

Of Free Will
04-22-07, 09:22 PM
I officially need new pants...

Because that trailer was orgasmic.

Koran
04-22-07, 10:55 PM
Chinese Pirates!

Yes, they are what I would call "An Early Swiss Army." They got 'em, but you ain't entirely sure what they're for, exactly...>.>

:D

Letho
04-23-07, 08:31 AM
I'm probably the only one who thinks that the PotC movies aren't that awesome. However, this one (like the rest of them) has Keira Knightley starring in it and that something not to be missed.

Ghoti
04-23-07, 10:41 AM
I'm just happy Barbosa is back. Or however you spell his name.

Raelyse
05-03-07, 06:47 AM
After the relative disappointment of Spidey 3, I hope this one is good enough. God Damn Fox and their unbelievably sexy trailers misleading.

LordLeopold
05-03-07, 02:46 PM
These pirate movies just aren't that great, I'm sorry to say. I'll be saving my anticipation for Harry Potter 5.

Eades
05-07-07, 04:53 AM
I liked the first PotC, but I was really let down by the second. I assume the third will be more of the same, but I'll probably see it just to see how it ends. The coolest charry in the entire series, in my opinion, is the Carribean Voodoo lady. If she's in the third, I think I may just feel like it was worth the ticket price.

Storm Veritas
05-07-07, 09:35 AM
I must be one of the few that simply wants to punch Johnny Depp in the face. I hated the first movie - it was an hour plus longer than it had to be. Didn't bother with the second one.

Humbug, I say!

Koran
05-07-07, 12:13 PM
You're weird.

I think the third one is going to be comparative to Spider-man 3. Not as good as the first, but better than the second.

Meh.

Eades
05-07-07, 12:45 PM
Perhaps, Storm, you are just jealous that you can't pull off eyeliner like Depp does?

Storm Veritas
05-07-07, 12:46 PM
Johnny Depp is to pirate as Stephen Hawking is to athletic.

Eades
05-07-07, 12:51 PM
Ten bucks says Hawking could beat you in a foot race. Don't even try and tell me that there aren't turbos somewhere on that chair. And of course the movies aren't historically accurate. Hollywood's purpose in life is to romanticize things.

Elijah_Morendale
05-19-07, 09:49 PM
"Welcome to Singapore."

That (and the fact that Barbossa is back) was I needed to hear in order to make me want to see AWE.

Moonlit Raven
05-22-07, 07:28 PM
Meh, I never saw the lure of the PotC movies. I watched the first one, it was a waste of hour and a half of my life that I'll never get back. The trailers for the second one look unappealing so I never saw it. I don't think I have it in me to give to force myself to watch the newest disaster.

Max Dirks
05-22-07, 10:28 PM
Well, maybe if you're driving past the DC area, you can see it with me.

That might make it worth it.

hamnat
05-22-07, 10:35 PM
I think the third one is going to be comparative to Spider-man 3. Not as good as the first, but better than the second.

Shen would agree with you! (^^)

Methinks Ol' Johnny boy makes a great Jack Sparrow!

None So Blind
05-22-07, 10:47 PM
Tony, she's Canadian. She's never in your area. And she's mine!

Lucien
05-22-07, 10:50 PM
I have a frilled shirt ready for opening night. My friend and I are going as Jack Sparrow and Will Turner respectively. He does an amazing Jack Sparrow impression, and all I have to do is look pretty and run around, so it's all good.

Max Dirks
05-23-07, 12:10 AM
Oh! I thought that was Manda.

Her race said Moontae. LOL.

Elijah_Morendale
05-24-07, 01:45 PM
Hmmm... Another forum I'm a part of says that this movie is already getting slammed...

Karuka
05-24-07, 01:59 PM
For my part...I'm looking forward to it.

Come on...Pirates from all over the world!

It does have a chance of being kinda cheesy stupid...but Orlando Bloom is pretty enough to make up for it. ^_^

Elijah_Morendale
05-24-07, 02:07 PM
I shelled out 40 bucks for the video game on the Wii, and it came with a free ticket for the movie, so I'd be a fool not to use it.

Max Dirks
05-24-07, 02:38 PM
I shelled out 40 bucks for the video game on the Wii, and it came with a free ticket for the movie, so I'd be a fool not to use it.Until you read the fine print in the newspaper "Does not accept passes." Looks like you might have to wait a bit ;)

Witchblade
05-24-07, 11:13 PM
It all depends on what kind of a pass it is and what kind of a theatre Elija's going to. After all, just because it's a pass, does not mean it falls into the 'not eligible for pass restricted movies' thing. As someone who works in a movie theatre, I know. >.> It's annoying. Now my free passes can be used any time, 'cause they're Player Passes. :p

I actually just got in from seeing Pirates, we had a 8:00 and 8:30pm screening of the movie and I took my cousin to see the 8:30. Normally, I started a thread with my review of the movie, but seeing as how this one is alreadu going, I'll just review it here. This by the way contains no spoilers!

Well, it's a long movie, that's for sure. Three hours and nine reels of film later -- takes forever to make the print up -- and you've got the third installment of the Pirates movies. It's got action, it's got a lot of death surprisingly, it's got love of course and it's got a lot of Pirates goodness. The jokes in this one definitely weren't as good as the first and in some cases the second. I laughed, but not as much as I hoped I would have. Most the story is serious and many of the areas they tried to make funny with Jack and his split personalities -- you'll know what I mean -- get boring after a while. They should have only done it once, not the two or three times they did.

There are great moments of tension, but also times in the movie where you just wish that they would hurry on with things. While I definitely enjoyed this one better than the second, it was still a little on the lacking side. Oh, and make sure you stay after the credits as there is a little something there.

I give this three and a half stars out of five.

Skie and Avery
05-25-07, 12:28 AM
You know, Tony, I would take you up on the whole watching this with you thing, except I seem to remember the last time I was in your area, tossing up a line on AIM and you never answered back. =(

Elrundir
05-25-07, 12:31 AM
Hmmm... Another forum I'm a part of says that this movie is already getting slammed...
Naturally. Movies like this will almost never live up to the hype. It's not that they're not good, necessarily, but that people build up their expectations to something that's very difficult to actually meet. Add that in with the nostalgia we get when we think of the first time we saw PotC, and you've got a nearly insurmountable barrier. Nostalgia is ridiculously powerful, after all. Talk about rose-coloured glasses.

At any rate, I look forward to this movie. Don't know when I'll actually see it, since I have Anime North to attend this weekend so there will be no movie-going, but I anticipate the day I will see it. I'm pretty easily amused by movies like this, though, so I'm rarely disappointed by them. ^^;; The only one that ever really did was Eragon...

Dissinger
05-25-07, 04:03 AM
I saw it and I was happy to see it to the point I don't mind shelling out the money to watch it again. I was satisfied with the preformance. Things didn't go as I thought they would, which was refreshing, and it seemed to make things far more interesting when they did happen.

Sorahn
05-26-07, 12:02 AM
Saw it. It rocked.

Don't see what all the complaining is about. I didn't even realize it was that long until after it was over and I looked at my watch. It held my interest the whole time and had some twists and just downright cool stuff. As seen in the trailer, two pirate ships having an all out battle in the middle of a swirling vortex is just cool.

Also, it didn't end the way I expected. Which was kind of cool.

Anyways, go see it. At the very least it will entertain you for 3 hours.

Fia
05-26-07, 02:28 PM
I saw it last night and thought it was better than the second. It never paused for a minute, save a strange Dali-esque scene with Sparrow.
I enjoyed it, just for the constant fighting and melee of characters.

Personally, I'm a Barbossa fan. He's the only salty dog among the leads. While Depp is fun, he is too rock star not enough pirate for my taste. And Orlando, well he's pretty, which covers a multitude of sins.

I will say that I was hoping for a different ending. So that was mildly disappointing.
Also, in one scene, Keira tries to give a rousing speech, and I just couldn't buy it. Seriously, when you're 5'7" and maybe 110 lbs, even I could take you in a throwdown, and I'm little. Her character just got too bratty in the later films.

Overall, see it. It's a sort of film that's better on the big screen and you won't be bored. Just keep in mind it's Verbinski, not a Merchant Ivory film.

Karuka
05-26-07, 04:38 PM
I...was kinda disappointed, and I loved the first and second ones.

It kinda felt like the script writers got bored and wanted to add in spice to keep themselves entertained.

It was funny...and it was weird...but...I dunno. I'll get it when it comes out to round off my collection, but I dunno if it's worth seeing a second time in theaters.

Although...Pearl v. Dutchman...that was cool.

Zieg dil' Tulfried
05-26-07, 05:42 PM
Worst movie ever.

Enough said. Didn't think you could do worse than the second film, but lo and behold they managed to do it.

Lucien
05-26-07, 10:06 PM
Best film ever.

In fact, man has never made such an achievement. In the future, when the past is judged, those spacemen will see Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and not care about the genocides or injustices in the world. For no greater good could've been had except this movie.

We will use this movie to judge all other movies. And they will fail.

I don't write reviews for my obvious biases.

Letho
05-26-07, 10:10 PM
I remember you saying the exact same thing about "300". And "Hot Fuzz", I think. And probably for the next blockbuster that comes out in the next several months.

Lucien
05-26-07, 10:13 PM
Pretty much. I'm not known for my scathing reviews when it comes to the works of God herself.

Saxon
05-26-07, 10:17 PM
I saw it today, it was alright. But it seemed, like Karuka said, that the writers were toying with endless jokes while they kept trying to get serious. Suppose they were lucky that their story held water, but compared to Return of The King and Grindhouse, it was worth the 3 hour sit down. I enjoyed the movie, but I think the concept of II was much better, and the wedding during the fight scene was original, but seemed kinda over done. For those who haven't seen it, and I dare not compare it to Spiderman 3 (Go see that too), you should watch it.

Dehkan
05-27-07, 04:41 AM
To anyone who has seen the whole movie...

There is something thats supposed to play after the credits, but I had to leave before it came up. Can someone PM me about what it is? I think it's something about Davy Jones, but not sure.

Synful_Blood
05-27-07, 08:46 AM
Dang, I missed that, too.

I hope they continued with the adventures of Key-Dog, though.

Key-Dog, FTW!

Artifex Felicis
05-27-07, 09:17 AM
"Geeky"

It was of Liz and Will meeting again in ten years.

Apparently Elizabeth got knocked up, because she had their son with them. So yeah, that's about it.

The monkey was cooler.