PDA

View Full Version : Like a Virgin

Aryr de Morte
04-29-07, 11:47 AM
{From the Alerar Mission Board (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=2361)}

I understand the importance of a society's religion, should that be compromised then morale will be as well. I only note this because of the most recent task I've been asked to perform. There is a temple in this strange land of Alerar, priestesses are not keeping their vows of chastity. They are to be found and the man or men who are helping them break this sacred vow are to die. They will. These sacred pacts must not be broken any further. Although I have been offered a handsome reward, I do this not for the money, but for the possible friends I can make in Alerar. Higher up friends. Always beneficial.
~An exerpt from the journal of Aryr de Morte XXV

Alerar.

The land of the dark elves in which Aryr was foreign. He had been contacted by the Drow, not the other way around. He wasn't looking forward to being looked on as a foreigner, at least in Corone and Salvar he fit in better considering his human look. The dark eyes, black hair, lip piercing, and his muscular human-like body were all things that made him fit in while still being unique in other places. Among the elves he thought he wouldn't be welcome, and the soldier was unknowingly correct. He had traveled to south from Salvar to this strange land of the dark elves, or Drow as they preferred. Few challenges had been presented since Aryr had left Salvar. The soldier figured that would change very soon. He was almost to the town of Barra Sreen, translated roughly it meant 'shadowed danger' and whether or not that was accurate Aryr would find out.

The sun was just setting in the west as they rode towards the town, a beautiful sunset. Crimson and bright hues of yellow and orange laced the sky and turned to a deep lavender away from the sun. This land is beautiful, and not as harsh as Salvar, I may not mind being here.

It had been quite the workout of the brain for Aryr to begin learning Drow on the way down, he was traveling with a companion named Vholk. Vholk means iron, I think. Aryr recalled. The nearly black-skinned Drow had been passing through a town in Salvar, looking for the toughest of warriors. Aryr hadn't stood out amongst the toughest necessarily, but he had brains. Many of the Salvarian warriors didn't have that. What the Eulaean was asked to do would take wit and patience, not brute strength that many of the other warriors possessed. Aryr's companion had a wary eye on him the entire time they had been riding down, teaching him the Drow customs and as much of the language as he could. Although he only had a basic understand, it would hopefully be enough to get him by.

"Barra Sreen means shadowed danger, right Vholk?" Aryr looked to his right at his Drow companion. He wore polished black leather armor with gold seams, quite showy, and carried a longsword with him. His face had sharp hawk-like features, a thin nose but he still held a regal look about him.

"Yes, that's about as close as it gets in tradespeak." Vholk didn't look to Aryr as he spoke and instead kept his eyes staring into the distance to the town of Sarra Breen, "It's a small town housing only a thousand men and five-hundred women. There is fierce competition for a mating partner."

"And how far is the temple from here?" Aryr glanced back at the town then fixed his gaze onto the Drow's sharp features.

"Only a morning's ride, we will spend the night here first then we can head out in the morning. We should reach the temple by lunch."

There was no other words exchanged, they simply rode into the town and were greeted by no one. Aryr's mount made a slight noise, indicating its excitement for rest and food. These Alerarian horses were smart and well trained, the Eulaean was surprised at the technology he had heard about too. A behemoth of technology that could fly, something Aryr had never seen. The only thing he knew of that could do such a feat was magic, and it took a powerful magician to set flight to anything for long.

The man's thoughts were interrupted as Vholk pointed to an inn. The building wasn't large, but it could house maybe ten or twelve rooms, made from a light wood but stained to give it the appearance of a dark oak. The two tied their horses and left money for the feedmaster to take care of them and entered the establishment.

"You ask him for the room. In Drow." The dark-skinned fellow grinned at Aryr, the first time he had done so. This would be the real test of Aryr's learning. What the Drow didn't know that in Eulaea, the first thing one learned was how to learn. The most important lesson of them all. The dark-haired soldier walked up to the counter, getting an odd look from the bookman.

"Vendui, xal udos inbau natha cuass'ili?" Aryr looked into his eyes, as Vholk had told him was the custom.

"Siyo, szith plak'la." The Drow held out his hand, Aryr dropped ten gold coins into his hand and in return got the key to the room.

The couple walked up the stairs and found their room, it was small but had two beds and two sidetables. Aryr was thankful for the fact he wouldn't have to share a bed with his companion. The soldier set his golden circular shield and spear down by the side the bed on the left and took off his bracers and shin guards. As he lay his head back he couldn't help but wonder what was to greet him in the temple.

Lighthawk76
06-11-07, 08:21 PM
Blank was freaking out.

There was no other way to describe it but freaking out. His hands twitched, not sure of what to do. His legs were tense, wondering why they were walking forward when they felt like running backwards. His eyes darted out from under his cloak, scanning left and right, looking for a something familiar that wasn’t terrifying. If it wasn’t for the cloak hiding most of his body and face, the passersby would probably wonder if the young human was up to no good. It especially didn’t help that he was moving through a newly arrived night.

Then again, it wasn’t the thought that he was up to no good that would have the passersby giving the young human scornful looks. It was the fact that he was a young human. Drow just weren’t the most amiable of neighbors.

“Alan, please explain what we’re doing here again,” whispered Blank to his similarly cloaked companion. They had just left there horses at the local stable yard, selling them off since they planned to stay for some time. At least Alan planned to stay. Blank was having serious thoughts of finally leaving the crazy old man for good, heading back to his old fishing home, and live out the rest of his life in relative peace.

The old man simply turned his head allowing a glimpse of his wrinkled and unshaven face, his eyes twinkling with mischief and his mouth smiling with surety.

“Why, we’re adventuring of course!”

“Well, could we please adventure somewhere where we blend in a little better? And please whisper! I don’t want us to be found!”

“You worry too much, Blank. What I said on the road was that we would not be trusted or liked in Alerar, not killed on sight or anything like that. I’m having us kept covered so that we don’t draw much attention to ourselves. I’m hoping to surprise someone and I don’t want word getting to her that an old human (specifically me) has entered Barra Sreen.”

“Oh, so this is just a chance for you to meet up with one of your little love mates?! And whisper!”

“Tradespeak, while not widely known in Alerar, is common enough that people don’t worry terribly much if it’s spoken, so don’t worry about whispering. Everyone already knows we’re not Drow, anyway. Only non-Drow keep their faces hidden.”

Blank almost stumbled as that bit of information was given to him. He had visions of hateful, black skinned Drow coming at him from all sides with knives, swords, and all other forms of deadly devices. For one reason or another, he was absolutely certain that the dark elves were bigoted enough to simple kill all non Drow on sight.

Blank followed Alan like an innocent sentenced to the gallows as the old man entered a local inn. Alan made his way over to the keeper and began talking to him in something that was most definitely not tradespeak. Blank just shook his head wondering what kind of trouble Alan was leading him into.

The old man came back with a key and pushed it into Blank’s hands. “I got you a room. Keep yourself entertained, stay safe, and I’ll meet you here in a week.”

Blank stared at the smiling, white bearded face with eyes like saucers. “You’re leaving me here alone for a week!”

“Sure, you can handle it. Just don’t piss anyone off.”

“I don’t even speak the language!”

“Oh yes, I was able to find out that a couple of tradespeakers, one human and the other Drow, are lodging in the room to the right of yours. They went up only ten minutes ago, so I was thinking you could probably go and knock on their door.”

“I don’t even know them!”

“Anytime’s a good time to make new friends,” said Alan, clapping him on the arm and preparing to walk out of the inn.

The young man grabbed him by the arm before he could leave. “Wait, wait! Are you serious?!”

Alan gave him a confused look, “Yes, of course.”

Blank looked around awkwardly for a moment, wondering if he was going to wake up. “Well, what do I do for a week?”

“Up to you, but that way is the nearest brothel, that way the nearest restaurant, that way to the next largest town (which I might add, has a very fine brothel, staffed by much more than just Drow, I recommend Kira), and if you’re so inclined, that way to the nearest temple.” The old man gave him a smile that seemed to say ‘I’ve answered all your questions, may I go out and play now?’

“You’re serious?”

“See you in a week.” And with that, he pulled out of Blank’s grasp and was walking briskly out the door. Blank ran out to grab him, but as he got out of the inn, Alan was already gone.

“Why do I travel with him?”

The young man reentered the establishment, making his way up the stairs and to his room. As he passed the room of the tradespeakers he stopped. Before he could let himself think of just how bad an idea it was, he lifted his hand and knocked.

“Please let them be nice.”

Aryr de Morte
06-15-07, 11:51 PM
"Damn." Aryr coughed as he was awakened by the knock on his door. Sitting up in his bed, he looked across the dark room to see Vholk had risen too. He could only see the glint of his eyes in the dimly lit room and his white hair rising from it's formally prone position. Aryr drowsily got up from his bed and put his robe on. He glanced over at Vholk who drew his sword lazily from the scabbard near his bed. As the Drow stood so did Aryr, taking his spear lightly from the ground.

"Who do you think it is?" Aryr asked the Drow his his left as he faced the door, creeping up to the door like a tiger stalking its prey.

"I don't know, best to have me open the door." Vholk walked over to the door and placed his hand lightly onto the handle as he used the sword hand to unlock the deadbolt on the door, "F'sarn obsul l' dobor nin."

The sight that was on the other side of the door wasn't exactly impressive, the boy looked young, even compared to Aryr. However his face was hardened from battle, this boy looked young, too young to be wielding the equipment he had. Aryr stepped in the door, the boy was obviously human. Something must have made him come, "Yeah, what do you want?" Aryr said gruffly, "Nevermind, just come in."

"Ar--" The Drow interjected but was quickly shot down by Aryr.

"He's a boy, don't worry about it Vholk." Aryr went and set his spear down alongside his bed, taking a seat on it, "Take the chair over by that table if you'd like," Aryr pointed to a pair of chairs opposite the door, "and tell us what you're here for."

Lighthawk76
06-18-07, 09:33 AM
“Well, uh, I guess the bartender was right. You speak common.”

Blank smiled at his forced and awkward attempt at levity. What was he doing? He didn’t even know these people. In fact, he didn’t even know if they were trustworthy. All he knew was that they spoke common. He decided to stay in the doorway.

“Umm, yeah, I was kind of directed here by my traveling companion, Alan… huh, I actually don’t his surname. Uh, sorry… uh, well, I guess I’m just looking for a few friendly faces I can stay with until my companion returns.

“Oh, and uh, my name’s Blank. Just Blank. I’m not sure if either one of you know Alan. He’s pretty well traveled. Nearly everywhere I go someone knows him or has at least heard of him.” Blank smiled and let out a forced laugh. “Normally disgruntled father’s and husbands.”

This was so strange. The human had a lip ring which did nothing but remind Blank of the badly tempered, disassociated lowlifes of Radasanth. He seemed much more amiable however. More so than the Drow anyway.

Blank suddenly noticed the blade in his hand. The man had put down his weapon, but the Drow hadn’t.

“Umm, I promise, I’m not here for any trouble. I’m just looking for some people I can stay with until my companion arrives. You know, some people who can help me to, well, survive. I know how to keep quiet. I know how to stay out of people’s business.

“Or, I mean, I also know how to help out. I’m not the strongest guy around, but I can travel pretty well. I’m on my own for a week anyway.

Blank smiled weakly at the Drow.

“So, please don’t attack me or anything.”

Feel free to have Vholk either know, know of, or not know Alan. If you read my profile of him, he fits anywhere. If you choose to have him "know of" Alan, feel free to add your own flavor to the stories about him. Local gossip always adds some flavor.