PDA

View Full Version : Raid on the Black Market Caravan

Rith
04-30-07, 05:21 PM
(((Closed to Midwinter)))

Rith had just entered The Outlander’s Quarters a few days prior upon arrival and as he entered the town, was informed to obtain an exit pass which granted him access to the rest of the country. He was also warned not to enter the southern edge of town because that’s where the bulk of thieves, assassins, and black market merchants dwelled.

Rith decided he’d like to explore the area just because the new city intrigued him and he would feel better more accustomed towards the people and region itself. The day was rather hot with the sun just beginning to set off of the horizon. He hadn’t much realized where he was walking until he was in actually in the southern part of town. He saw a few figures in dark hooded robes walking along the streets, with their hoods casting shadows across their faces so only eyes were visible and yet those were even challenging to see. There were merchants with wares, all probably stolen or illegally imported or made, and they seemed to line the streets. No real policing presence seemed to even be patrolling the area either (unless that’s what those robed figures were). There were actual guards back in the civilized part of town as he overheard some of the locals calling it. Here their presence was not allowed or they simply were instructed to overlook the area for other reasons.

Though understanding where he was, Rith decided he’d like to wander this section of town before it was completely dark, but he was sure of being extremely cautious to not provoke anyone to attack him or give them any reason to. He was familiar with this sort of lifestyle as he spent an adequate amount of his life as an assassin in his earlier years.

Rith caught a glimpse of a Drow hissing at a human that was probably more than likely trying to steal some of his wares, whereas in this sort of community there was a thieves don’t steal from thieves mentality. Usually when one did break the unspoken code, one was banished from the community and usually obtained a bounty on their head shortly after, or they were killed on the spot.

One of those robed figures approached the Drow’s stall where he was still hissing at the human. Within a moment there was a maroon stain growing on the man’s shirt just beneath the man’s armpit. He fell to the ground no sooner than Rith also realized that the man’s throat had been slit. Whe…ho…that was amazing. Whatever that thing is was quick, very quick, I didn’t even see it stab him or slash him. I think it’s time I head out of here. The robed figured disappeared back into the crowd and the Drow now seemed angry that the thing just left the body in front of his stand. Rith didn’t bother to see what happened next as from there he turned back and headed towards the center of the city away from the anarchist section of town.

Rith made his way back through the narrow poorly lit streets where he stopped to see a heavy weapons shop bordering the entrance to the Black Market area and normal section of the city which had yet to close. Unable to help himself, he stepped into the shop and upon entrance he noticed that the walls were lined with everything from hatchets, to hammers, to war axes. He looked around scanning the walls mainly at the different axes that were decorated with rubies, diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, and other stones made from everything from delyn to adamantine, that covered the walls from top to bottom. It was an amazing sight, and if Rith had the money he would have felt like a kid in a candy shop.

The owner was busy talking to one of the black robed men standing at the backdoor of his shop. They were speaking broken elven, so Rith managed to only catch bits and pieces of their conversation. Of which, he managed to comprehend though was that there was an unknown organization in the area and that a caravan of merchants were robbed headed towards the Black Market Square after landing on the eastern side of the lake a half days journey before arriving at The Outlander’s Quarters. The thieves fled south with three wagons and a few horses, but the two men seemed to keep referring to what was in the wagon.

Rith decided to go ahead and leave since he was unable to purchase any of the wares, and also that the man seemed rather busy.

Half an hour later…

Entering a small building with a sign hanging out front titled Export Passes was rather empty with a small dark man standing behind the front counter. A guard suited in a chainmail shirt, full plate leggings, a full helm and shield of delyn armor with a sheathed short-sword at his side, stood at the front door. He was a rather opposing looking figure as he was one of few with nearly a complete set of armor in the area, and doubtfully anyone would really want to mess with him.

The clerk ignored Rith as he initially entered the building. Rith sat down along one of the benches facing the clerk windows where which five of the six empty booths and had a small sign hanging from them that read Closed, please move to the next available window. The clerk seemed rather busy and Rith figured it’d be awhile before he was called, which rather agitated him as he was the only person besides the guard to be sitting in the building.

Midwinter
05-05-07, 07:54 PM
Lacretia wandered a crowded city wearily. Her black hair fell around her face, not really held back by the dark bandana tied like a karate kid head band around her head. The girl couldn't possibly count the amount of time she had had to explain that Skid Row was not some religion of hers, or a family title. It had been entertaining the first few times, but it got old quickly. The street magician was carrying her backpack on one black leather clad shoulder. Her form was hunched over from the weight of her stuff, which was becoming heavier through her tiredness. Lacy's black eyeliner was slightly smudged, giving her a sleepless look. All in all she wasn't doing that well on the enthusiastic-wanderer thing.

She was buffeted by several dark-cloaked figures around her. It seemed to her almost as if everyone had something of questionable legality hugged close to his or her midriff. Lacretia rolled her eyes. Once more she had wandered right into the welcoming arms of sketch-ville. Its not too bad I suppose…I mean NYC is basically a nest of shady people but really, I should try and stay out of these places. Hmm, suppose I am subconsciously seeking these places out due to homesickness. It sounds plausible at least. Is that guy over there trying to sell cow refuse? Well people are buying it so I suppose it isn't that. It certainlysmells like it, though. What was I thinking about? Oh, right. Sketch-ville. How did I end up here anyway?

How indeed. Oh, that's right…

FLASH BACK

You were at an inn, standing on a stool doing a trick or two. If the buzzing in your head was something more than imagined, you had also been doing a shot or two. These people had no reservations about serving drinks to the underage, did they? Lovely. The crowd loved you. Some old guy offered you something pink and you took it. Then sometime later you were lying on your back on the uneven wooden bar top surface. Some people were chuckling and patting you on the shoulder. You sat up and laughed with them. The room seemed uncomfortably bright. You swayed on the countertop but some audience members were there to catch you, pushing your balls and bag back into your lap. A drunken merchant was talking about some city of gold up ahead. That city may be of gold but I bet they haven't seen a magician like me yet Your voice was slurred but the crowd seemed to get the gist of it. They laughed and thumped you on the shoulder, and you shouted with them; all of you were laughing as if there was something hilarious. Some more time passed and you were sitting in the back of a moving caravan with a hangover that made you want to curl up and go back to blank oblivion. The caravan shuddered to a stop and the door to the back was yanked open. The light blinded you and made your head feel like it was splitting. Someone, you couldn't see who because of the light, grabbed you by the back of your jacket and threw you onto the ground. You heard your backpack thrown to the ground beside you. Your ass hurt because you landed on a rock. Actually, just about all of you hurt and you still couldn't see because of the goddamn light and... Eventually you noticed you were in this city and…

END FLASH BACK

Lacretia shook her head wearily and trudged forward. What was it the band bassist had said? Never eat anything pink. Medieval people have drugs? Sheez I thought that technology wasn't developed until like 1700 or something…I guess that's rad though. The girl took another look around her. There were a couple of dark looking buildings to her sides. She decided she needed a break from the frantic shoves of the busy bodies around her, and hurried off to one of the side buildings. She was squeezed out of the crowd's flow like toothpaste in a tube. Spun somewhat into a damp wooden door, Lacretia pulled the door open and stepped through the threshold.

The inside of the inn was damp and dark, just like the outside. There were only a couple of people inside, three drow which were sitting quietly in the corner while consuming some meat she could only guess the name of. Lacretia had come to realize that she didn't trust the meat of Althanas. If she didn't know what it was, she had no intentions of putting it in her mouth. Lacy walked over to the bar and stood on tip toe to boost herself onto one of the smooth leather stools. Her feet felt so good released from the weight. With a sigh, she swung her backpack off of her shoulder and onto the floor below her.

She ordered some vegetable soup, the house special, without looking the orange skinned waitress in the eye. She had eaten it fast, paid, and left. For what it was worth, it had been good food. However, after the initial gratitude of a break the place began to give her the jitters. The rest had done its job, though, and Lacretia was well revived enough to be filled with enthusiasm for moving on.

The street magician wandered the streets, aiming at a sign reading "Export Passes" as soon as she saw it. Lacy guessed that it was some sort of an official place amidst the back-ally type dealings of the towns. Hopefully she could get some directions on where best to go after this. She didn't have anything in mind yet, so perhaps she would meet a traveler or two who could tell her if there was anything interesting going on somewhere near by. Near by being key because she didn't have a lot of money on her.

She slammed into the door before noticing it was a pull door. Weren't they always? Doors tended to all be push until you got all comfortable…and then there would be a pull just waiting for you. Rubbing her nose somewhat ruffled, Lacretia pulled the door open and stepped inside the building. A clerk was scrawling somewhat busily and there was only one more inhabitant in the room: a rough looking man about her size.

The street magician walked up to the seat next to him and took a seat quietly, shouldering her bag from her back to her lap. She turned a bit, to look at him, and felt an unexplainable itch to fill the silence.

"Hi." She said, simply.

She tried to keep her eyes somewhat lowered. Lacy had come to realize that many people did not like suddenly meeting the gaze of all-black eyes.

Rith
05-05-07, 08:32 PM
Rith hadn’t initially noticed the strange looking lady enter the building and sit down beside him; he had fallen asleep. Startled from her sudden appearance, he jumped, letting out a smacking from his lips and yawning as he recomposed himself. He looked behind him to where the guard was still standing, he hadn’t moved an inch. Looking back towards the clerk’s window, he realized the clerk was gone. That sneaky little bastard, he better be back soon, or I’ll… I’ll… Oh, whatever.

Rith now turned his head towards the newly arrived traveler sitting beside him. She seemed very out of place and a bit depressed, she held her head low, and dropped her pack down to her feet as if she had a rough day. Rith looked back towards the clerk booths where there was still no sign of the man supposed to be attending the last open window. He leaned back, making him-self comfortable again and propped his feet on top of his pack and stared at the ceiling. Hmm, a strange one she is. I’ve never seen anyone, or thing like her before. And what’s that she’s got on under her eyes? Maybe she’s an associate of those robed men back in the southern edge of town? I wonder if…

“Hi”, she spoke in a soft voice. She still hadn’t bothered to look up or over towards Rith.

“Well, ‘allo. Wha’ brings yah her’ ta this blazed ‘ot place? Muh names Rith, how ‘bout yer’s missy?”, Rith replied in a low-toned voice, trying to keep the conversation somewhat private and to not startle the girl.

Translations:

“Well, hello.” “What brings you here to this blazed hot place?” “My name’s Rith, how about your’s missy?”

Midwinter
05-06-07, 01:23 PM
Lacretia smiled at his low tonation. She highly doubted that the guard would have moved if they'd announced on the top of their lungs the planned to blow the place up. The street magician saw that he noticed her makeup and realized it had probably smudged in an unbecoming fashion. Laughing a little, she used the heels of her palms to rub the offending bits of eyeliner off. Once again I am reminded of the benefits of cheap eyeliner. But then again, the good stuff would have never smudged in the first place.

The girl shifted so her legs were crossed, and flicked her eyes upward slightly cautiously. He seemed like a friendly guy and she didn't want to scare him off with her eyes. She had been aching for some good conversation lately. Besides, even if the clerk had mysteriously become absent, maybe she could get a point in the right direction from this guy. He looked like he'd been places. With a slightly crooked impish grin, Lacy pushed some hair out of her face and began talking in an equally low tone. His accent wasn't particularly hard to understand. "I'm Lacretia and I'm landed here because of some poor judgment on my part. So, what is this place?"

It was warm. While awaiting the man's reply, the girl took off her leather jacket and stuffed it unceremoniously into her backpack. Thinking about it, she had no idea why she bothered to still carry around all of her school stuff. It was highly unlikely Mr. Hughans would pop out of a barn and hand her a lit mid term. Perhaps it was time to let the books go. She probably could sell them for quite a bit. The monk lot tended to like books, but they didn't have much to pay with did they? If she needed fifty sacks of potatoes though…

Rith
05-07-07, 12:31 PM
“T’is land is call’d Fallien, an’ we’re at the Out Land’rs Qu’rt’rs. It’s no’ the gr’at’st land ‘round, but obv’sly the ‘ottest.” Rith looked at the girl and noticed something odd about her eyes as she pulled her hair from her face.

“I’m ‘ere fo’, well, I don’t re’lly know wha’ fo’. I do know tha’ I’m jus’ on me way outtah ‘ere. An’ wha’ do yah mean by poor judgmen’?”

Translation:

"This land is called Fallien and we’re at the Out Lander’s Quarters. It’s not the greatest land around, but obviously the hottest."

"I’m here for, well, I don’t really know what for. I do know that I'm just on my way out of here, and what do you mean by poor judgment?"

Midwinter
05-07-07, 05:28 PM
Hmm, Out Lander's Quarters... Sounds like a trading dock of some sort. Perhaps maybe a merchant fest? Who knows. Either way it seems like Fallien has a healthy dose of nationalism. Out-landers. Ha. At leasts it isn't a derogatory name like maggot. Hey, Slipknot reference! Stupid band with a stupid name for fans. Focus. Focus.

"Poor judgment?" Lacretia laughed, "Oh maybe just accepting drugs from a stranger while hoplessly drunk. Hell, at least I had fun. So, what is there to do in this joint?"

Rith
05-08-07, 03:38 PM
Rith chuckled not with, but at the girl’s ignorance of the situation she could have gotten herself into. She’s obviously not from around here. Couldn’t imagine what she’d get herself into without a partner in these parts. Should I ask if she’d accompany me, to wherever the hell I’m going? She’s bound to get herself into trouble. Am I willing to help get her out of it though? I hate choices, but I’d hate knowing a girl like her to get stuck out here without any guidance. May as well…

“As fer the p’r jud’ent, I’ll give yah that. Yah shou’d be a lil more c’rful ‘bout wha’ yah do ‘round ‘ere, we’re not in the saf’st o’ areas nah. An’ yah said, j’nt, wha’ s’actly is a j’nt?”

A moment later, the clerk stepped back to the counter and went back to business, just as before. He didn’t even seem to take notice of the new arrival sitting beside Rith. He better damned call one of us up there soon.

Translation:

“As for the poor judgment, I’ll give you that. You should be a little more careful about what you do around here, we’re not in the safest of areas now. And you said, joint, what exactly is a joint?”

Midwinter
05-17-07, 06:31 PM
Lacretia eyed the clerk as he strolled back up to his desk and scrawled away, as if the two of them weren't there. What a jerk... Or perhaps that's just how things work around these parts. I wouldn't know. Then suddenly she got an ingeious idea. Reaching into her backpack for a moment, she ripped a piece of paper out of a notebook. Math homework from a couple weeks before her accidental transportation. Ah well. Didn't look like she'd have needed it even if she had not come to Althanas. The girl ripped off a bit, chewed it, and spat it in the clerk's general direction. Oh the wonders of middleschool. The clerk jumped, looked around in confusion, but didn't really get the hint.

With a laugh, the street magician turned back to her new acquaintance. "A joint means...a place. But not a big place like a town, but a kind of smaller place: like a shop or a bar." she paused for a moment, to look around, "What's an export pass and why do you need one?"

Rith
06-02-07, 11:09 AM
Rith eyed the young woman for a moment as she reached into her pack ripping as she pulled some paper out. He looked away from her for a moment and at the clerk where he suddenly saw him jump. Lacretia was laughing as she explained what a joint was. Rith chuckled to himself a bit as he realized what she had done.

At least she’s got a good sense of humor.

“Ah yah, ‘ose damned passes. Well fr’m wha’ I un’stand yah’ve go’ tah get on’ behfer yah can trav’l ‘round ‘ere. Legahl stuff er som’thin er ‘nother. If I ‘membah r’ght, dehpennin on tah ‘rea, yah’ll e’tha beh ja’led, fin’d er even put tah death. An’ from alr’adah wa’chin some gu’rd killah human fer somethin, I d’nt think it wise tah not take t’is a bit ser’ously.”

Rith cleared his throat rather loudly, hoping the clerk would raise his head from his work for even a second, but there was nothing and he still took no notice of the pair patiently waiting. The guard still stood like a statue at the entrance, defending nothing, more than likely bored out of his mind. Rith turned to the guard now contemplating if he was even real. He looked to the guard and stared for a moment. There was no movement, no sign of life and this was bugging the daylights out of him.

Turning to Lacretia, Rith said, “T’is gu’rd’s buggin meh tah no en’. I dou’ he even br’hes.”

Rith stood from his seat and quietly took a few steps towards the guard where he tried listening for any sign of life, a mere breath, nothing. Rith waved his hand up in front of the visor that protected the guard’s face, still nothing. Now he balled his fist as one would go to knock on a door and presumed to knock on the guard’s chest.

“It’s a statue”, a muffled and unheard voice said.

Rith instantly turned around and eyed Lacretia first thinking she was messing with him. He threw that thought from his mind and then stared at the clerk who was still busy rummaging through papers just as he was when Rith arrived.

Rith shouted, “Yah say ‘at, cl’rk?”

“Indeed”, he replied.

Rith walked back near his seat, but he still stood in the aisle. “Why ‘aven’t yah ack’owle’ged our ent’rin tah buil’in, cl’rk? Ah’ve been settin ‘ere waitin fer ah lif’time!”, Rith growled to the man.

“Well, I’m a busy man. I have things to get done around here, paperwork to file, documents to copy, all the while running on an empty belly, and seeing as I’m the only one working tonight, I think you’ll understand. Besides, if you needed your pass then you would have came to the counter an hour ago and asked for it. I don’t mean to be rude, but as I said, I’m a busy man. If it makes you fill any better, I’ve already taken the time to fill out most of the paperwork for you both, and all I need is a few signatures for each of you and I’ll be able to finalize your papers and send you on your way”, the clerk simply replied without looking up from what he was doing.

“Parden meh t’en, cl’rk”, he said in an apologetic tone. Rith walked up to the counter and the clerk slid him two small stacks of papers.

“Forgiven. This set is for you and the other for your friend.” The clerk pointed to a few lines on each set of papers and said “I need signatures here and here.” He paused for a moment flipping through a few pages then said, “Sign here, here, leave this one blank, and sign here. You’ll be on your way soon after I get those back.”

Rith grabbed the two stacks of papers and said, “Thank yah.” Walking back to his seat he handed Lacretia her papers and assumed to show her also where to sign the documents.

Looking at Lacretia Rith said, “Guess, I sh’ulda jus’ asked fer teh pa’ers earl’er, eh? Aye, an’ befer I ferget, mah I call yah Lacy?” Slowly attempting to say her name correctly through his accent, “La-c’r-‘ta, jus’ gets meh t’ng’e tied.”

Translations:

“Ah yes, those damned passes. Well from what I understand you’ve got to get one before you can travel around here. Legal stuff or something or another. If I remember right, depending on the area, you’ll either be jailed, fined or even put to death. And from already watching some guard kill a human for something, I don’t think it wise to not take this a bit seriously.”

“This guard’s bugging me to no end. I doubt he even breathes.”

“You say that, clerk?”

“Why 'aven’t you acknowledged our entering the building, clerk? I’ve been sitting here waiting for a lifetime!”

“Pardon me then clerk.”

“Guess, I should have just asked for the papers earlier, eh? Aye, and before I forget, may I call you Lacy?” “La-c’r-‘ta, gets me tongue tied.”

Midwinter
06-19-07, 08:49 PM
Lacretia had to crease her brow and think for a moment before being able to decipher what he was saying. His accent, although a bit heavy to her, was rather pleasant to listen to from her point of view. She nodded as she suddenly understood the importance of the passes. They were necessary for traveling, hmm? Well she'd already done a fair bit of traveling and got away with it. If that clerk didn't hurry up soon she'd run for it.

The street magician laughed out loud when Rith went to test the guard's reaction and was met with the fact it was a statue. She found the whole exchange between her new acquaintance and the clerk highly amusing. And perhaps the most amusing part was when he looked to me as if I was responsible for the clerk's speech…which reminds me that I should try ventriloquism sometime. It might come in handy now and again…

As Rith returned with the papers, she made a 'goal' motion. Afterwards, she realized he wouldn't get it. She'd have to stop acting her time. Lacretia took the papers carefully, doing her best not to bend them or dirty them in any way. She scanned them with her eyes quickly before looking up as she was addressed.

"Of course you can call me Lacy," she smiled at him, "Actually most of my friends and family do. Or, if you'd like to keep things formal, Circe works as well." The girl shrugged, and added for clarification "Stage name, you know. I've got several but I happen to have a fondness for that one."

The magician looked down at her papers and began to flip through the pages at a rapid pace. Here was a big problem. How the hell am I supposed to read this stuff? I suppose I could just sign on the dotted lines, but how am I supposed to know which ones? Perhaps I'd accidentally sign my life away on some slaver ship if I hit the wrong line. Well, that hardly sounds logical but with this place you never know. I would bet my best black top hat that half the dealings here are illegal…that is, if I had my top hat.

Lacretia fished around in her bag until her hands found a pen. Nervously now, she took the cap off with her teeth and eyed the paper once more. She glanced over at Rith to see if maybe she could cheat off of him and get some answers. It would be rather like middle school. She had always cheated off that geek sitting in front of her when it had come to English. Honestly though, only he would know what a frickin' past participle was. So there was her justification. The English language was too hard and her teacher was an idiot. Moving on… she thought to herself, pulling her mind out of an old but amusing memory.

After a moment of futile glances at his paper, Lacretia decided it was best to just fess up. What was the worst that could happen? He already knew she was a foreigner in this place with absolutely no clue how she had gotten past the border, how long she had been unconscious, or where she was going to go next. Actually, thinking about it, she was just ripe for someone to mug her or commit some other form of violent robbery. She was an essentially helpless sitting duck. If Rith was a criminal he would have probably taken her to a back alley by then...like the last couple strangers from the last town…but that was another story. Besides, hadn't he said you could get killed for not having one of these passes? Yeah but what if you were on your way to this place and got killed as you were right in front of the door? Is there some sort of 3 hour immunity so you can get here safely? But even then they wouldn't time when each person arrived. Ah but they- Oh, right, focusing…

"Rith?" Lacretia asked, "I can't read this…" she gestured with her pen at the forms, "Where do I stick my name and what am I signing off to?"