PDA

View Full Version : Ticks and Tricks

Karuka
05-03-07, 06:34 AM
Because none of mine seem to be working. And the title is supposed to be TIPS and tricks, but I'm an idiot and didn't put my contacts in yet.

Right, so...I don't expect this to be half as popular as Emma's "I'm changing MSN s/ns because I'm being stalked" thread (sorry for de-railing it, sweetheart...but the world has to know that Picard trumps Kirk any day).

That saaaaaaaaaid:

I have been having a craptastic time with sleep lately.

either I can't sleep at all...or I sleep six to eight hours, get up for four, and then go back to sleep for another six.

What the hell?

So, I'm looking for solutions to this problem.

Here are the limitations: No milk to heat up, b/c I'm at school and it'd all just go bad.

My meditations don't work, either, and I have a couple of faves that have worked since I was eight. I'd be willing to try new ones, but mine haven't been working.

No sleeping pills. Because I'm at a point where if I had pills in my room, and started taking them, I wouldn't stop until I passed out. Toxicity level of 100 or so sleeping pills = X_X (Yes, I should probably seek professional help. No, I won't, I have too damn much to do. No, I'm not going to do something stupid because I have people that have promised to follow me, and if I'm going to have a death on my head, it's gonna be mine and mine alone).

EDIT AGAIN:

And I hate chamomile tea. I know it's supposed to be rawksome for sleeping, but it tastes like ick and bleh. Even with lots and lots and lots of honey.

Other than that...yea, I'm open to suggestions.'Cuz this really needs fixed.

And this is going up, and it's six a.m. (EDIT, I lied, it's 7:30) and I haven't slept and I'm going to go off and write a script about the Trail of Tears (documentary style, 0) and it's going to be suitably depressing for the topic.

Peace out. I'll check back laterz.

Massacre
05-03-07, 07:10 AM
Perhaps your sleep is just out of line, if you do something long enough then you'll get accustomed to that. Maybe just trying to sleep from say 10 at night until 8 or so in the morning (if that fits your schedule) for a while would be good and don't go back to sleep, no matter what.

If you do that enough perhaps you'll get into a schedule that works for you and you'll feel a lot better. Try listening to soothing music while you go to sleep too, that works for me sometimes.

Just an idea. :)

AdventWings
05-03-07, 08:04 AM
Well, I guess I'll tell her to check this thread here when she wakes up. :p

Anyways, I think music will be best to sooth the nerves, plus cracking down on your sleeping schedule might also do the trick (albiet a rather harsh one, so to say).

I confess that I cannot help much on this issue, since my internal clock is essentially nonexistent now that I have a very random schedule. Plus one meal a day is hardly enough to fuel my body without going into anemic shock. :p

Which reminds me, I need to grab a can of soda... or even water... at the least...

*Drinks some water*

...OK, that felt much better. :p

Max Dirks
05-03-07, 11:34 AM
Nyquil and/or sex usually clears the cards for me, Karuka.

AsukaStrikes
05-03-07, 11:40 AM
Should I be surprised by your advice, Max, or should I be feeling something else?

Either way, Karuka, take care of yourself. That's the only thing I can think of, since the two helpful people had already stated good advices already.

Ginx
05-03-07, 11:42 AM
yeah I dunno, i just think pleasant thoughts while I close my eyes and won't open them until I wake up from sleep. try thinking of calm and peasant activities.

Also even if you weren't worried about purposely overdosing sleeping pills, never take them. They're between Alcohol and Meth in substances that can ruin your life because of addiction.

Fia
05-03-07, 02:11 PM
Poor dear! Lack of sleep ruins me, so I sympathize.
Here are a couple things I found work for me, some cheesy, some practical.

Things to not do too close to bedtime:

- eat
- work out (the endorphines from it will keep you up)
- think too much about what you have to do tomorrow

But I usually find a hot shower is great before bed, as is developing a bedtime ritual that preps you for sleep. I have a whole little beauty ritual followed by prayers and maybe a little reading. Kinda tricks my body into recognizing when it's time to go to bed and winds me down.

And for the really cheesy part: lavender. I love it. A little satchel by your pillow can be helpful. Or even just using a good lavender lotion, like Avalon Organics.
Hope you get back into the swing of things soon!

Of Free Will
05-03-07, 02:30 PM
Nyquil and/or sex usually clears the cards for me, Karuka.

Ditto

Rith
05-03-07, 03:59 PM
I also suffer from sleeping problems. Pills never work, and neither does other things. What I have found to work is:
-Reading
-Mellow Music
-Cutting anything that requires you to mentally, or physically work 1-2hrs before bed

I average 4 1/2 hrs of sleep a night, with maybe 30 hrs a week. Being a busybody really kills your routine, so try to plan things and refuse to do anything 1-2hrs before bed. A hot shower can wide you down, but I wouldn't suggest showering and then hitting the sack. For me personally, it doesn't work, but it does relax me.

Ataraxis
05-03-07, 06:14 PM
Before sundown, run around your block with corn dogs strapped to your ankles with a famished dog in hot pursuit.

When fatigued, clamber up a tree and throw the meat away, to cast away the nightly temptations.

Remember to bring a book, for it is a quaint activity to read before bed.

A warm jacket is always appropriate.

What? It worked for me.

Though you could always find other ways of spending all of your excess energy before night. Ways that won't get you rabies. Like extreme ping pong.

Atzar
05-03-07, 06:37 PM
I agree with Fia, generally... taking a shower can help a lot. And, surprisingly enough, a bad book can help. Find something that bores you to the point of drifting off. It actually works.

Soft music usually doesn't hurt.

Karuka
05-03-07, 06:57 PM
And for the really cheesy part: lavender. I love it. A little satchel by your pillow can be helpful. Or even just using a good lavender lotion, like Avalon Organics.
Hope you get back into the swing of things soon!

Come to think of it...I have lots of lavender around here. Lavender oil (scent for de-stressing), lavender tea, and lavender hand soap.

Fenris
05-03-07, 07:54 PM
Read a calculus book. :D

@ Ataraxis: MWAHA! BRILLIANT!

But in all seriousness, the scent of jasmine has yielded clinical results suggesting it aids sleep. Apparently the trick is to burn a jasmine candle next to your bed for a minute or two (and then blow it out, fire hazard and whatnot) before lying down.