PDA

View Full Version : My Fears Have Become Phobias

Massacre
05-03-07, 07:41 PM
{This thread contains vulgar language, I switch to 3rd person writing when Dan joins. Also, any and all bunnying is approved by both parties. Thanks for reading, enjoy!}

Part I ~ A Terrible Purpose

Waking up to the sight of winged creatures that looked twistedly human mortified me, the expression on my face must have been priceless and a joke between the creatures, for lack of a better term, for quite a while. I remembered falling asleep, that was all. Then I woke up in a crude room, it looked carved with only the slightest bit of sun peeking in to let me see my surroundings. Many of the people, if they could be called that, around me were blurry to me, silhouettes. One in particular stood out to me though, he was tall, nearly seven feet and had brilliant wings hanging loosely at his back, scales the color of a summer sky in Scara Brae littered half his face and body, he wore a simple set of breeches. I took notice to the human-like features more so than the almost mythical features, it was an odd combination, like a millennium of mutations and genetic breeding from a twisted sorcerer.

That made me wonder, many said that sorcerers had dragon blood running through their veins, which was the source of their innate power. All folklore, I had thought. Magic had to be learned, or so I thought. If it were true, would these dragon-like humanoids all have the innate powers of sorcerery? It was a frightening concept to consider at the time, their army would be more powerful than any I had seen on Althanas. Even the mechanical monstrosities of the Drow and the artful fighting of the High Elves didn't seem like it could possibly stand up to wings, sorcerery, and intimidation. The only thing that seemed to contend with them was the demons I had heard talk of.

After staring back at the creatures for a few minutes, I realized where I was.

Dheathain.

There was no other explanation, I was in shock from whatever had been done to me and hadn't been thinking. Should I have walked into the misty swampland I would have known it was Dheathain. The tales I had heard of the inhabitants were indeed true, they were almost like dragons. Strong, tall, fast, and intelligent, they were formidable indeed. Finally one spoke to me, the one who had stood out with the sky blue scales. In almost perfect tradespeak he spoke to me, "Welcome to Dheathain, we are the Draconians."

It was simple and straightforward, there was nothing to question about it, he said it as though he could read the question on my face. Perhaps he could.

"I am Faurad dar Goieeld, sorcerer and warrior of Suthainn. We brought you here for a reason which will, in time, be revealed to you."

Again, the answer was given like the question had come out of my mouth, I stayed silent for a while, simply breathing and looking back at the gentle, yet intense stares I was receiving. I looked more to my side then, and saw I was on an elegant pedestal with twelve indents circling the pedestal. It must have been for them to stand in while summoning or whatever it is they did. I felt as though my purpose was inevitable and terrible. Terrible was the more prominent. I had no idea how to act, what to say, how to say it. I was lost and confused, fumbling through idea after idea, all were right and wrong potentially, I didn't know.

I simply stated, "May I rise?" I thought respect was the foremost priority, all beings cherished respect, especially the ones that angered easily and held grudges, there could be no mistakes. I wondered if this fate was retribution for my earlier deeds. Catching slaves and fujatives was a terrible profession and I thought that maybe the gods had done this to me to send me a message that perhaps I should stop such practices. Then there was the thought of money, but money is nothing when compared to wit, intellect, and strength. Those were gifts and prized far above the lure of monetary gain.

Faurad answered in a slow, stoic manner, as though he knew I were thinking, "You may, we shall step back." Suddenly in unison all of the Draconians in the room almost slithered back, it sent a chill down my spine. The creature continued his slow speech, as though he wanted to mistakes in his use of words, "We know you have many questions, they will be answered in time, but first we must give you proper coverings."

With that, I looked down. I hadn't thought about it in the least, what I was wearing didn't matter to me as much as the faces of the Draconians. That was until I realized I was nude. Not a shred of clothing was upon my body; all my curves were revealed, every flaw, every perfection. My long black hair hung loosely, barely ruffled, which surprised me. I tried not to falter in my tone, keeping an even and calm pitch, "Yes, I should get some clothing, may I ask where?"

The Draconians around me did not snicker or giggle as a human male would, they did not stare at my body in its entirety, instead they stared at my face, observing and calculating each movement in it, seeing the muscles twitch and move, "We have them on the way, a messenger is delivering them now." With that said, a meek Draconian slipped in, this one had no wings but scales all down his arms, both hands were clawed and scaly as well. A black set of clothing was handed to Faurad, which in turn was given with a touch of eloquence to me. The garments felt warm as I slipped them on, the pants were snug toward my hip, which made them stay up easily and loose toward my ankle, probably for ease of movement. I slipped the shirt on; it was snug as well and made my body feel fluid, free. The sandals I put on fit my feet perfectly, like they were crafted just for my foot exactly, perhaps they were.

Every other Draconian left the room, the smell of perspiration passed through my nostrils. It was humid and sticky; I felt the beads of sweat gathering on my skin as well. Faurad simply stated, "Are you ready to begin learning your purpose and the techniques we will impart to you?"

All I could say was, "Yes, I am ready."

Whether I was or not is in the eye of the beholder.

Massacre
05-05-07, 12:27 AM
My head rattled with questions, I didn't dare ask any of them. The most prominent was one about my purpose. They made it sound like I was a savior or messiah, I hoped I wasn't. It was this thought that made me nervous and falter in my speech, "I... I want to learn what you have to teach me." I didn't know whether or not I actually wanted to learn or not, I was eager to see the extent of what I could learn before setting out to learn it. There was nothing else I desired at that moment. The ashes of the past were blown away in the winds of creation. I hoped to create a new self, a new A'rei Ngoyu, through these beings.

Then my learning began.

Faurad began with asking me a few simple questions, where was I from, what was my name, what did I know of the Draconians, and finally if I had any idea why I had been brought here. I answered them as they came.

My answers were simple and complete, which seemed to make the Draconian happy enough. I am from a farm on Scara Brae, I knew nothing of the Draconians or my purpose, which troubled me. My name is A'rei Ngoyu, but A'rei sufficed among the Draconians as it did with most races on Althanas as I know now. First names always sufficed unless there were nobles present. Either way, my lesson began that day. I should have learned it a long time before then, but it was a lesson on how to learn. There is no way to describe how to teach it, only the wisest and most learned of individuals can teach it.

I learned a story that day, a simple one too. It was about the sleeping man and the jester. If you've heard it, then read it again, one can always use the reminder. The jester is foolish and slow to think properly. The sleeping man never wakes, only dreams of days long past. Both of these extremes have their flaws and boons, the jester entertains and earns praise for his amazing acrobatic feats, while the sleeping man is never required to learn from anything other than his own past. The jester is incapable of learning, or so it is thought. Faurad then compared the sleeping man to a wizard. Wizards spend their lives brooding and learning magic but sacrifice their social skills and even their sanity. Eventually in the process of trying to learn from his mistakes, the sleeping man died. The eternal sleep. The jester on the other hand continues to entertain, hearing the talk of the nobles watching him, learning. Not learning from his mistakes but by simple observation; something every being is born with. The jester realizes in time that his existence is simple and worthless. He then kills himself one night in his quarters.

The point of the entire story is to lie between the two lines, evenly. Observe but do not simply watch forever. Think on your past but do not brood on it. I took his words to heart, telling myself they had meaning. In time, I found they did. Hearing from the Draconian himself made it seem all that much more mythical and mysterious, it made me want to sit and think about it for hours. Hours I wouldn't be allowed. I was required then to learn of myself, who I really was. I was told to simply cooperate and I would get what I needed out of the lesson. Faurad asked me to fight him.

I could do nothing but accept. I was handed a wooden sword and he took one in his hand, he then simply stated, "Strike at me." I struck, using a feint, and a mix of steps I didn't know I could do. He swatted my strike at his chin away with ease, making me stumble. How was this supposed to make me learn about myself? I wondered, I went again, less careful this time, giving him a stab at the stomach. It was swatted away even more easily, making me feel like a child. The wood floor gripped my sandals tightly and my muscles tensed as I became angry.

I then found the point of the lesson. I had learned to learn and now it had been applied. Faurad simply grunted as I loosened and stood up, looking him in the eyes. He had seamlessly brought his story together with what he was trying to teach me and had even shown me myself. It was ugly. What I saw was anger and hate, and I didn't like seeing it. I wanted to change at that moment, to become a new person and cast aside all my negative aspects. If I could, I hoped I could become possibly as wise as the Draconians seemed to be. I wondered if all of the Draconians could speak flawless tradespeak as Faurad could, it was impressive. Just the sight of the Draconians was impressive and in a way, mythical.

Faurad knew that I had gotten what I needed to out of his lesson and said, "You are a good student for a human, you will learn well." His wings shuffled slightly as he turned toward a window in the room, there was no longer any light trickling in the window and I found myself squinting to see the wall. Yet Faurad's brilliant scales and matching wings stood out amongst the darkness. He then beckoned me to follow him, so I did. He led me outside where there were many rope bridges crossing from tree to tree, we were well above the fog in the swamp, some of the buildings were carved into the trees and some were built around, it was quite a sight. He led me for what seemed like a long time to a small room carved into a tree. All the room contained was a crude bed and a couple windows, I was told I could rest there and was left to do so.

Massacre
05-05-07, 03:35 PM
I should have been scared that night, maybe more worried about where I was and why. I wasn't though, I felt more curiosity and amazement than fear. As I lay there that first night, I wondered whether or not the rest of the Draconians would amaze me like the first twelve had. I figured they wouldn't though, the ones who had brought me to this strange place seemed regal and wise. They couldn't all be like that. I thought. I must have drifted off to sleep very quickly because that's all I remember thinking, was that they wouldn't all be as impressive.

That night I had the first occurrence of what I now know is a pavor nocturnus, in Dheath, or simply put, a night terror. I saw the image of my father that night, a fist descending to my youthful face and the emotions that were associated with it; fear, love, hate. They were the strongest, most concentrated emotions I've ever felt. I was told later that I could not be woke, that I thrashed about. What I saw that night was terrible, but what I felt with it was even more moving. I awoke shortly after only to find a Draconian and a human-like woman with almost see through wings standing over me, looking at me in wonder. I looked back up in wonder at them, I had no idea what was going on, only the emotions I had felt and the images I had seen.

I was in a slight daze still and could see the two of them mumbling to each other. As my eyes came back into focus and the fuzziness was slowly erased from my hearing, I sat up. It was Faurad standing above me, his commanding presence and all. Next to him was a woman of striking beauty. She spoke first, "I am Aalueyah, a Fae. You may simply call me Aalu, though. I realize it is hard for humans to say my full name."

I could have, had I been required to, but that was neither here nor there, Faurad spoke then, "What happened? What did you see in your dream?"

It hadn't been a dream though, I couldn't recall every image, only flashes. The emotions were stronger. They were still there, too, I felt them as though something horrible had actually happened, "No, I don't remember a thing except for the images of my father beating me," I stood up mid-sentence and brushed my clothes off lightly, "then the emotion. It was so strong, I don't know how to describe it to you."

"Indeed, it seems that you were in agony." Faurad looked to the Fae, "Perhaps you should go and tell the other eleven of this, perhaps together we can shed some light upon this matter."

"I could do that." The Fae turned around and walked out briskly, the room felt more dim without the woman there.

"I think it is best to tuck this away and continue with your training. I think you have the potential to learn what I plan to teach you very well." Faurad beckoned me to come with him and I did. We walked through the bridges with Draconians glancing at Faurad and nodding then glancing at me suspiciously. It didn't matter, Faurad was well respected and because of that so was I.

We eventually came to an edge of the entire city, if that's what it could be called, where there was no railing. Faurad held out his arms for me to hug him, I did so and felt my feet leave the ground, I was held in his muscular arms flying down to the ground below, the wet swampy muck. We landed and the Draconian let go of me and stepped back, giving me a second to recover. Once I had gained my footing comfortably he began to talk, slowly and serenely, "I want to teach you a long forgotten art among your own kind, the art of illusions."

I knew what an illusion was, there was no mistake about that. How they were conjured I didn't know, usually they were tricks of the brain, like a mirage. I was anxious to learn and to potentially create illusions, the prospect made my throat tighten with excitement. Then Faurad pointed to my left and asked me what was there. I told him all I saw was the thick fog, then suddenly a horse. Out of nowhere in appeared, I looked back to see the Draconian grinning widely as I flinched at the sudden appearance of the animal.

"Wow, how did--" My question was quickly interrupted by Faurad.

"Quiet now, stretch your mind out. Close your eyes and relax." I did as he commanded, I wanted to learn, I was an eager student, "Good, now form your thoughts into an image, anything you can imagine. Once you've done that you need to see it, in your mind's eye. It will appear, be patient."

I thought of my father first off, it was what had triggered the emotions of my night terror, I felt like I had to think of him for some reason or another. I tried to imagine him standing there next to Faurad, looking at the Draconian. I could almost really see it, even with my eyes closed, I was getting anxious then and I opened my eyes. What I saw amazed even me, there he was, my father, standing there staring at the Draconian.

Massacre
05-05-07, 11:37 PM
I couldn't believe what I had done, there was actually an illusion there. I felt a strange sensation of pride and fear at what I had done. I wanted to do it again, I craved it. I wondered if anyone could do this, or perhaps it had to do something with my purpose that was still shrouded in mystery. I couldn't help wonder if I could have a bit of dragon blood running through my veins, the thought tickled my brain but I tucked it away, I would find out eventually. Even Faurad seemed impressed with how quickly I had formed an illusion.

"That was simply quite amazing, A'rei, most Draconians don't even get it that quickly." He spread his wings and stretched his arms above his head, "Now, to refine it you must do it frequently and practice. There is much you can do with illusions, good or bad. Be careful with the power."

Of course, I wouldn't abuse it. I thought to myself. The idea of abusing power seemed ludicrous to me, I didn't even want to entertain the thought any longer. I was still eager to learn more and perhaps. I had learned to create an illusion so quickly, I knew there was more to learn, whether or not the Draconians were willing to impart their power to me was the real question I would need answered. I also hoped to meet the other eleven who had summoned me here and learn what I was supposed to do here. I hoped it was nothing bad, but instead something epic in proportion. I had always loved the idea of grandeur and adventure though never had the motivation to actually do it myself until then.

We stayed down in the swamp, having me create various illusions, faster and faster each time but never being able to create them instantly. It took an immense amount of concentration and energy to forge the illusions as well. I couldn't make them move like Faurad could either, which frustrated me. At least I had started out on the right foot by making stationary ones at all. I did little talking and more listening than I had ever done in my life, then. I appreciated every second of standing in the thick fog with the mucky ground sucking my feet it while I created illusion after illusion.

Horses.

Wagons.

People.

I had made everything I could think of off the top of my head while I received more and more advice from the Draconian. I could make anything I wanted appear but I couldn't make anything move or stay there for long. It was frustrating as I tried to make them move but the illusions I was creating were stubborn and refused to conform to my will, it seemed. I was frustrated and it seemed that after a while, Faurad was becoming frustrated as well.

After what seemed like forever, Faurad flew me back up to their city in the tress where the Fae, Aalu, was there to meet us. She spoke quickly and sounded excited.

"Faurad! The council wants you and A'rei there right away, they have an urgent matter to discuss with you both there!" Aalu quickly trot off in the opposite direction and Faurad looked almost disgusted.

"Well, I shall bring you in front of the council now, and I suspect we will discuss you more than anything." I took that as my cue and followed the scaled humanoid where to led me, nodding in affirmation at the Draconians that passed me by on the walkways. We eventually came to what seemed like the center of the whole city, a large tree that towered above the rest where the council apparently met. There were no windows or roof as I walked into the archway, the sun bled through the clouds into the room through the canopy.

In the room there were twelve seats actually carved from the tree itself as was the entire room. In each seat except one, a Draconian councilman was seated. They stared at me with those same intense but warm stares, like they knew more about me than even I did. Faurad pointed to a spot for me to stand so I was nearly in the middle and being observed by all the members, I glanced from face to face, nothing the different scale patterns and overall build or each. They were all distinctly unique, I thought it to be interesting.

One with copper wings and scales to match spoke first, "Do you understand in the least why we have summoned you to Dheathain in the first place?"

"No." I answered simply, hoping short and concise answers would please them. It seemed like they did.

"Very well, we shall tell you. We have a prophecy that is not so well known among our more... fundamental comrades, that a human female who is able to learn the creation of illusions will be our savior and banish all demons from the land. We believe that is you." Every Draconian nodded at my as though confirming his statement was true, like I wouldn't believe them. So I gathered that they had others before me and they had failed at creating illusions as the Draconians had wanted.

So, my terrible purpose was being revealed at last, I was supposed to aid the Draconians in ridding their land of any demons, or perhaps kill every last demon, I wasn't sure. What I did know was that I had much work to be done if that was the case.

Massacre
05-06-07, 12:58 AM
Part II ~ The Exile

I was told that I should go and rest for the next day so that I could continue my training at a brisk pace. I hadn't learned anything of what my purpose actually was, I just knew that I was supposed to help the Draconians rid themselves of demons, which I didn't know how to do. I hoped that they had some very good training because I had needed it at the time. I made my way back to my carved out room where I found a newly placed table along with some food on it. The food was still warm to the touch so I ate it quickly, not caring what was in it. I hadn't eaten since I arrived and I was thankful for the opportunity to finally get something in my stomach. After I finished the meal I went to go to bed, a light rain began it pat the walkways and put me to sleep almost instantly.

The next morning I awoke pleasantly, feeling well rested and well fed for the first time in a long while. Hunting slaves required I eat little food because of the simple fact that I could get cramps easily if I had too much food shaking around in my stomach. Now I felt that I would be just fine eating a lot of food to make up for my lack from previous endeavors. No one came into my room for a while so I sat and thought about what I was to do. I didn't know if I actually wanted to stick with all this, it sounded to important for it to really be me that was part of it. I felt like part of a legend like the ones I had heard about Letho Ravenheart in Corone and Storm Veritas in Alerar. Their tales traveled even as far as Scara Brae and maybe mine would one day, I thought. That was the real lure of adventure and fortune, to be famous and have children admire you for generations to come.

I got to my feet and walked outside into a light rain, the sun wasn't shining down through the canopy or the light gray clouds above it. It was still light enough to see where I was going. The problem was, I didn't know where to go. I had no idea what buildings were where and I didn't have any money to buy food or drink. So I would just wander and see what I could stir up.

After wandering around, looking for something to do, for long enough I gave up. I had talked to a couple of Draconians who were polite but didn't seem excited to speak with me. I felt like they resented my presence, like a human being there, getting trained and watched over by their council was an insult. None of it really mattered though, I was too excited about learning more and becoming a part of something important to care. After nearly an hour of mindless wandering I saw Faurad walking with two other Draconians towards me, their looks grim. This wasn't good, "A'rei, please come with us." Faurad gave me an intense stare that screamed 'or else.'

Eventually we came to the council chamber again, only this time it was dark and felt macabre. I was worried now that I had done something wrong by leaving my room or by simply being human in the city of Suthainn. It wasn't right, I had thought, they summoned me here. I hadn't went there by choice. Again the council members all sat and I was ushered into the middle as Faurad took his seat, this time however, I had a large Draconian warrior on each side, their bodies filled to the brim with armaments. It was unnecessary, I couldn't have stood up to any one of those council members either. After a long silence one in front of me with jade scales covering almost his whole body, the wingless Draconian spoke, "Do you know why we've brought you here?"

"I do not." I had no other reply to offer.

"It is about your night terror." The Draconians all seemed to shuffle nervously in their seats at the mention of that day's topic. There was suddenly a nervous air in the room, "We've found out a rather... disturbing fact about it. We suspect it was inflicted upon you by a Draconian."

That was something I certainly didn't expect. A Draconian inflicting a night terror on me, I didn't think it was possible. The idea of something making me feel that way didn't seem plausible at the time I heard it. I was told that it was caused from stress and being overworked, not that they could be inflicted by another being. The jade Draconian continued, "We're in the process of finding out who but we've hit a dead end. That's all the council has to say, you may leave."

I took that as my cue that they didn't want me around any longer, so I left with the two Draconian guards, they guided me back to my room. They stood outside the door guarding me from whatever was out there.

Massacre
05-06-07, 12:12 PM
Just as I began to feel myself slipping into a deep sleep, I fell into what seemed like insanity then. The black silhouette of a Draconian, wings totally spread and opened, whispering ancient secrets into my brain appeared to me. I felt awake, like I was totally aware of what was happening to me. It was horrifying, I felt like I was going insane and maybe I was. The figure spoke of my fate, that I would eventually fail and be punished for my failure, that the Draconians were not as hospitable as they seemed to be. It kept repeating those wretched words. You will be punished for failure, the ultimate price.

I couldn't stop listening, I was almost intrigued and curious now, I tried to speak back to the ghastly silhouette, "What is the ultimate price, death?"

The ultimatum is already drawn, for you.

I knew what the specter meant now, it was a death sentence, unavoidable. I had to escape this place, the emotions that I felt encouraged me to go, I absolutely had to. Suddenly it was all gone and I found myself sitting up against the wall, sweating and breathing hard. One of the Draconian guards was looking at me through the archway that was the entrance to my room in wonder. He must have seen me scrambling about, I didn't know whether I was screaming or mumbling or being totally silent. All I was aware of was the vision that I had seen. I had reason to suspect now that these weren't night terrors but someone, an ally, warning me against doom. I felt like I had a new hope.

I got up then I gathered myself together, I couldn't make myself seem meek or scared. I had to assert my aggressive side to get what I wanted now. I walked to the door and got two or three steps out when I felt a scaly hand grab my arm and jerk me back. It was too much for me to stay on my feet, I was on my back in a daze, my vision was blurred and hazy. I felt like I was laying there with the thick fog of Dheathain falling over me like a blanket.

It has begun.

Again, that voice. The Draconians at the door simply stood and laughed at me when I looked up at them in my stupor.

I became angry.

Raising to my feet, I gathered myself one last time and made a run for it, perhaps I would surprise them enough and be able to escape my temporary confinement, I thought.

I failed.

A Draconian hand latched onto my face, throwing me down. I then felt the scaled fists coming down on me. It was like my father had done to me in the past, I could take it, there was nothing I couldn't deal with. I felt both of them beating down on me with my eyes closed. There were four arms, quickly, swiftly, with force. My body was being battered for trying to escape this horrible place. I realized now that my purpose would be enforced, whether I wanted it or not. I couldn't help but try to cover my face, it just enraged them though.

Finally it stopped, only one last hit remained. There was always a last hit.

It was then that I felt the Draconian fist crash into my sternum with a terrible force. I felt my heart skip a beat and I cringed at the force of the hit, a tear escaped my eye. They weren't done yet, though. I kept my eyes closed as they blindfolded me and tied my arms around my back, the other ripping my clothing off. They were laughing.

Laughing, see what I mean?

I let them fill their urgent, carnal desires, resisting would make it worse. Tied and blinded, I let the tears escape my eyes, listening only to the voice in my head.

Massacre
05-06-07, 01:05 PM
Part III ~ My Fears Have Become Phobias

After the Draconians had their way, they left me there tied and blindfolded. I resented them, even hated them. They had done the worst thing possible, my blood boiled with violence. I didn't dare scream though, that would only attract attention and I doubted that anything could have been done even if a councilman had showed his scaly face. I wanted to get them back now, for what they had done to me. My body was too tired to fight anything that came on though and I simply lay there wondering why I had been given this fate. I thought at first it was because I had hunted down innocent slaves and not-so-innocent fugitives, now I realize it was to shape me into who I am today.

Faurad walked into my room with ease not even twenty minutes after I had been beaten and raped by his guards. I hated him just as much as I hated them. He allowed it, whether he was conscious of it or not. I didn't show him my hate, I needed to get out of here alive. I kept thinking about the ultimate price the specter of my terrors had spoken of. The ultimate price to me meant death, it was also entirely possible that I could have died. What happened to me wasn't much better though. I was untied by warm Draconian hands and my blindfold taken off, the two guards were still standing at my door and Faurad stood over me.

"What happened to you? They guards said you went crazy and they were forced to restrain you." Faurad looked at me with minor sympathy as I half-crawled to the wall, curling myself so I could be covered, I was sitting up against the wall, my knees covering any sights he may have had otherwise.

"Your men beat and raped me, Faurad." My eyes stared into his as the Draconian's eyes widened, almost in anger.

"Do not make such lies, human girl!" Faurad strode towards me, grabbing my arm and forcing me to my feet, I could do nothing but let myself limply stand, "Tell me the truth, now!"

"I already have, Faurad, I have no reason to lie, do you think I ripped my own clothes off?" I pointed to what remained of my clothing in shreds on the floor, "Those are obviously ripped by claws I don't have." As I said it, Faurad's eyes lit up with anger, he forced me out the door and brought me before the council. My throat tightened with nervousness, I wouldn't be able to speak.

There, I was condemned for lying and I received the only punishment that was available.

Death by hanging.

What happened to me I remember perfectly until the last moment. I was brought down to the swamp with a ring of Draconian guards around me, the councilmen leading us to the ceremonial grounds where executions took place. What I saw there was a large patio, made of an ebony stone with a lone tree. Its branches were stained black with the blood of countless executions, as was the trunk. I had no fear left, I knew what was to come. I knew I would die. I felt nothing.

You are ready, soon will be your time.

The voice faded slowly from my head. The Draconians said nothing to me as they positioned me under the tree, I was ready to accept my wretched fate and they were ready to dish it out to me. I could take it, they would see me smile as I died. There would be no pleasure gained for them from my death, I thought to myself. I stood there nude, now unclean and impure, as they wrapped the wire they would use to kill me with around my neck. It was harsh, like my fate. Faurad glared at me with eyes of hate, I returned his stare with a stoic gaze of my own, he would know I wasn't afraid.

The Draconian guard grabbed the far end of the wire and flew to the highest branch of the tree. There was little slack left as he stood on the branch beneath the highest.

I was ready.

The wire tightened, gripping my throat and digging in. It cut a pinky's width into my flesh and I felt myself being lifted from the ground. My eyes darted to the ground, and though I couldn't see I knew I was only a foot off, but it was enough to suffocate me. I took in a deep breath, hoping that with some stroke of luck I could let out a smile. I couldn't though, my body simply gave in. They had tied my hands behind my back, put a blindfold over my eyes, and my feet dangled, twitching slightly as the life drained out of me.

The last thing I felt was the horrible warm liquid from the throat running down my ravaged body. Then a blackness more terrifying than the blindfold could have ever shown me.

Slayer of the Rot
05-06-07, 02:09 PM
"You are too abnormal to be a Haidian. Get out of my way."

The sky hanging above seemed to mirror his own present mood; it rumbled in irritance, the clouds moving swiftly born on agitated wind, roiling with some Thayne's bad temper, perhaps with Dheathain itself. After all, Dan Lagh'ratham couldn't say that he particularly enjoyed the country, after all, it sat close like a sister to Haide, home of that which he hated above nothing else; the Haidian demons. In addition to that, it was terribly cold, and had set him into uncommonly fast and frequent fits of rage during his journey into the horrid place. Had it not been for Audeamus seeking new members, he never would have bothered, but the prospect he was looking for was rumored to have once been an indefinite candidate for Ceann Cath, but had been ousted for unclear and unaddressed reasons. A draconian would indeed become a valuable asset too the organization, if not for their brutal personalities, then for their strength and skill as a race that loved war.

And here he was presented with one before him, albeit a rather ragged looking specimen, it's claws dirty and chipped, scales lackluster in their sheen and one horn completely severed, the other badly damaged with chinks and abrasions. It scowled at the hulking, hunched demon that blocked the road before it. "I'm looking for a Farour, and you are most certainly not him," Dan's voice rumbled from beneath his veil in a scornful tone, "The monster I seek would surely take better care of himself." A grin came across the Draconian's face as it hefted what had appeared to be a simple knapsack from it's shoulder, and dug one soiled hand inside. The demon cocked his head in curiosity, but made no move to defend himself in caution, as cocky as he was. From the jumbled bundle of cloth, the creature produced and impressively crafted sword, one that certainly fit the characteristics of it's race. A heavy curved thing that resembled a clever or an axe more than a sword, Dan simply assumed the creature hadn't gone for either of the latter for the simple fact that he could skewer his enemies on the point. "And what would you seek Farour for, human? His time these days is precious to him."

"Stop beating around the bush," Dan snapped, deftly recognizing the gesture in producing the weapon, splaying his arms as he flexed his clawed fingers. "You're Farour? Finally, a bit of luck. I can get out of this damnable Dheathain in no time." With a flourish of his fingers, he produced a ring; a familiar action for him these days. "I've a bit of business to discuss with you. But first, we fight, to stretch the muscles. I've been meaning to get a bit of exercise more than this accursed walking, most of my upper body is stiff."

The Draconian sprinted forward, and pleased with the lack of hesitation, readied himself in the brief few seconds he had. The heavy sword, its blade riddled with chips and patches of rust, swooped forward in a powerful stroke that would have bit painfully into his ribs, but his feet slid outwards rapidly, ducking beneath the strike. Fully expecting Farour to leap away, Dan thrust one hand up between the creature's elbow - and ripped the Draconian's head clean off his shoulders. His hefty sword fell to the slick grass with a thump, and the body immediately slumped against him, its stump of a neck spewing blood down his back. With a sigh, Dan stared at the decapitated head perched upon the claws of his glove, and sneered as he shook it off. "Never mind, then."

The satisfaction of a successful kill was soon replaced however, with the disappointment of a wasted trip. Minutes passed and the clouds rolled overhead, their gray faces unchanging in the true spirit of stoicism as the demon stared down at the head, its face forever remaining stern. "I'll cut off one of Brendeth's arms for this," he growled, finally lurching forward up the road, stewing in his anger as he crested the hill - and paused, cocking his head once more in curiosity, staring down at the odd tree beneath.

It was ringed with a field of barren ground, the grass stamped away perhaps ages ago, the ground packed to hard to produce life. And if vegetation did indeed spring green and vital about the tree, it would be more insult than universal irony. Even some twenty feet away, he could smell the lingering stink of rot and blood, the bark that remained unstripped from it's trunk stained a deep, dark red, though black to simple human eyes. This was a tree twisted by some denizen of Dheathain from it's original life as a semblance what the Thayne created into a representation of death. Only a single, pink leaf hung from it's branches, from a thin metal bough, and had it not been for her, he would have kept moving, eager to put distance between the failed prospect and his self. The concept of a post murder meal was enticing. "No good reason in wasting a still warm body," he mumbled, setting his shoulder against its waist and severing the wire that kept it suspended with a briefly summoned delyn knife.

He chuckled as he laid the woman's nude body to the hard ground, rubbing his hands together in eagerness, his earlier tantrum forgot. "First, the eyes," he said gleefully as he plucked away the blindfold that kept him from his treat.

Massacre
05-06-07, 03:22 PM
Ultimatu...

A'rei had been hung. There was no doubt about that, but she couldn't tell whether she was actually dead or not. The voice that had been speaking to her and driving her insane had been there during life. Normally people know they're dead when voices speak to them in their head and they feel removed from the world. The Scara Braen girl didn't have that feeling, she felt like she was still hanging there, limp. The ravaged girl's thoughts were confirmed when he heard the footsteps and the wing ruffle of a Draconian who was nearby. The steps were getting closer and closer until she could feel the hot breath on her leg, it was fast and rough like the Draconian had been in the middle of a strenuous workout.

There was a slight sigh that came from the head of the beast, "I'll have to come back later for this one, she looks like a good catch." Then the breath was no longer on her leg but she knew he hadn't moved, there was only a slight shuffling of steps like the Draconian pig had turned around, "Who's this on the road now? Perhaps fresh meat." Again A'rei could feel the hot breath on her leg and the Draconian stroked her thigh with his scaly hand, "I'll be back for you, and it will be very fun." Finally the Draconian had shuffled his way down the road to meet whoever. Perhaps if he came back she could be saved, but he was a Draconian and likely to bring her back to Suthainn where she would be killed if she wasn't already dead.

The sounds of what she thought was another male and the Draconian echoed to her lonely execution spot, then the sound of a fight. It wasn't a long one though and she could hear the muttering of a new person as he came over the crest of the hill. Then the footsteps approaching her and a new, more calm breathing brushed her leg. The feeling of powerful arms taking A'rei down from her perch was what tickled the small spark of life left in her enough to make her open her eyes. Yet all there was, was blackness. T... blindfold... As she was set onto the ground the cold stone made her back twitch slightly. The girl could barely think to herself from the loss of blood and the shock of being hung. Her black hair fell slightly as the cloth over her eyes was removed.

Who..?

The sudden influx of light into her eyes made her squint, they burned from the being in blackness for so long, it was like she was in heaven but with a man bending over to pluck her eyes out. It was ironic how only tragedy had befallen the girl as of late, this was another notch to add to her belt. As her vision came into focus she saw the man's face and stared at it with eyes of hate. Her body was pale and weak from the loss of blood and it was still stained with the blood she had lost, and her hands were still tied behind her back. They ached now from being lied on. Her bruises were even more evident now that she had lost the color in her skin and what had previously been done to her was quite evident. Her neck ached like all hell. Luckily the pain was dulled by her loss of blood.

All the girl could manage to spit out was, "Who..?"

Slayer of the Rot
05-07-07, 05:24 PM
The demon could not successfully hide his surprise as he realized the eyes he was moving to pick like fruit from a vine were clear and indeed held a spark of life in them. "How curious...yet a pleasant surprise. It doesn't taste quite the same, eating corpses. Perhaps the whimpers and the cries add some range of spice." Clicking his clawed fingers together in delight, he leaned forward to slice away a section of cheek, hesitating as he argued whether to eat the eyes or not, and halted yet again. As the girls wits began to gather, she focused on him, and what was contained in those eyes was not fear, nor shock, but an intense hate that would have undoubtedly burnt him, had it been tangible. "Oh, do you despise me?" Dan found his own eyes narrowing, the look she was giving him sparking off dozens of memories. 'How many times have I personally given someone such an evil look? I never thought I'd be saying this, but this tenacious girl quite reminds me of myself. Defying death so boldly, boiling in your fear, striving to live only to bring about terrible vengeance.' His thoughts were disrupted as the girl struggled a single word out of her damaged throat, and he finally reached down...slicing the wire bound around her neck instead of her bruised flesh.

"You will know me well enough as your master, henceforth, girl." He clasped a hand lightly about her jaw, squeezing her already battered face. "For you belong to me now," he whispered, his eyes wide and full of menace and authority. With a grunt, he stood, and surveyed her agonized, pitiful form. Bruises mottled her skin, though much of her body was soaked with blood from the neck down. The damage was even evident in her most private area. "I doubt you can walk, much less move," he growled, a cloak appearing in his hand as he reached down with the other, lifting her without even the slightest bit of trouble, and wrapped her piteous body in the heavy dark garment. As he shut the clasp at her collar bone, his long peaked ears began to twitch as the sound of creaking wagon wheels, and the sputtering of a beast of burden caused him to perk, turning to the road.

"As the Thayne have grant it, I shall not look a gift horse in the mouth," he mumbled to himself, producing a throwing knife and with a simple flick of the wrist, buried it deep into the passing farmer's temple. The corpse jerked, perhaps in shock, and it brought its arms up and down in a fast motion, bringing the large horse to a stop. "Fortunate indeed. Perhaps this is not a wasted trip at all. I've acquired new property and killed two men this day, though I'd have rather ended the second one's life with my hands. Such a cheap shot is barely enjoyable." Stooping, he gathered A'rei up in his arms and set her down in the back of the wagon, snipping the ties that held together the few bundles of hay the farmer had been transported. Quickly, he formed a suitable nest, and set her in it.

"I do not like to have my possessions broken, and I certainly don't like to receive damaged goods." Pushing the body of the farmer over on his seat, Dan climbed up and gathered the reins in his hands, snapping them and urging the horse on. As the wagon lurched forward, he turned his head slightly over his shoulder and said, "Now then, where are the ones who left you in such a sorry state? They will be slaughtered for disfiguring you." Waiting for the answer, his other hand moved to the dead man's face, first retreiving his knife, and then tearing the nearest eye free. "Not as tasty, a man's eyes," he grumbled through chewing, "A man's eyes, they've seen terrible things, and the flavor is affected. Beleive me...I would know."

Massacre
05-07-07, 09:49 PM
A'rei's gaze didn't change as the man continued to approach her eyes with his sharp hands. The only thing that mattered now was her ability to hate, and she hated this man, for saving her, for wanting to pluck out her eyes, and for being there.

I'll...

The girl could hardly think, even with the wire removed from her throat the wound still set fire to her throat. She was thankful to be able to breathe again. Her affliction seemed less threatening with the wire not constricting and ravaging her every breath. As the man gripped her face all the girl could make out was a few words.

"Master."

"Belong."

"Me."

It was enough to get the point across, she understood that he meant to take her under his wing and assert his apparent cruelty. Despite her feelings to the contrary, she was powerless to resist, A'rei could barely move her mouth much less other limbs and extremities. She kept glaring at the man even as he stood and observed her shattered form. It was a blur as he produced the cloak that was to cover her body, the quick movement and she was covered and slightly warm. Her body was still frigid from her loss of blood. Regardless, the cloth felt good on her body, she appreciated what this stranger was doing even if he did seem sadistic. It was then that she heard something coming and apparently so had her savior. She saw only a blur of motion and the carriage that was passing stop suddenly. Her hearing was still bleary but she could tell that he had killed someone.

The girl winced in pain, her mouth tightening as she was lifted. A'rei closed her eyes to hold back the tears she could feel forming, her neck was now in agony. She could feel herself being carried and could feel the sway of her black hair as the strong arms brought her to the cart where she was set gently. As the cart jerked it made A'rei's head bounce slightly about, intensifying the pain in her neck, but she didn't dare say thing. It seemed that showing a sign of weakness would anger or provoke her unexpected savior. So she sat there, silently regaining her lost livelihood, her cheeks gaining a bit more of the color that she once possessed. Though still ghastly white, it was progress, which meant she would live. The wire wound around her neck and begun to scab over and didn't sting quite as much nor did it ache when they hit a bump in the road.

Where are the ones who did this to me? Well, Suthainn of course.

"S.. Suthainn." A'rei shifted her head slightly to look at her savior, though she still had trouble speaking, she could think a bit more clearly. Her sight and hearing were also coming in more clearly, now. The image in her head was now fixed and she could see the head of her self-proclaimed master. Even from the back of his head, she could feel his presence. Commanding and menacing were the two first words that came to the girl's mind.

After what seemed like nearly an eternity of laying in the back of the wagon, they finally stopped, it was turning night quickly and A'rei felt like she could walk again, a bit more of her color had returned to her at last.

Slayer of the Rot
06-08-07, 08:53 PM
The eyeless and fleshless face of the farmer's corpse forgotten several miles down the road, the demon sighed with content and leaned back against the back of the driver's bench, setting the reins carefully into his lap. "Now then, that you've had time to gather your strength again, what do you think of your current situation? It's awfully fortunate that someone came across you and decided to pity you enough to draw you from that tree, isn't it, human?" The long, wicked spikes, and the black hide of his gloves vanished as he reached to his left cheek, carefully unwinding the knot that held his veil up. It fell, and he tugged the rest of it loose, disappearing in his grasp as well. Both hands rose, removing the turban from his head, and his black hair fell to the back of his neck. His ears, unrestricted, rose nearly to the top of his head, long and thin like an elf's. Loops of steel were stabbed through them, six on each side. His teeth, his ears, his gaze, his words; they were all sharp, and spoke well of his nature as a warrior.

"Considering your state, you perhaps already know what I'm going to tell you. I am here primarily now, to teach you lessons. And the first is that there is no fortune in this world. It is a miserable place, and from birth to death you will spend much of it simply writhing in your own blood." He turned his head and stared down upon her, and even in her haze, a grainy cloud obscuring her vision, she would see the emotions conveyed within those eyes; superiority, violence. It spoke that she was beneath him, as was all else, and the way they began to narrow, they told her how with a simple motion, he could cast her into the Antifirmament.

"But there is a difference now, between you, and the other worms that crawl beneath my feet. You are being given a chance." He stopped then, not bothering to elaborate on precisely what great opportunity she had been delivered unto. He gathered up the reins again in his worn and scarred hands, tugging upon them to slow the horse. The sun was dying, and it was a beautiful sight, all vibrant, bloody reds and bruised somber blues and violets, spoiled only here and there with warm orange. The eastern sky was dark blue, shifting to black on the nearly unseen fringe, and the moon hung above, robbed of it's resplendent glow by the remaining sun. It looked like a blind eye, bespotted with cataracts.

"You can't bring that horse in here. These streets are clean, it'll shit all over them."

Dan's eyes snapped down to the ground, catching the fool in his stare. He was a belligerent looking man, with a wide, squashed nose, squared head, broad shoulders, and a thick muscled stomach that drooped only slightly. One hand sat on his hip, the other stroked his thick brown beard. "The girl in the back needs medical attention. Then we will need two hot meals and two beds to rest in."

"I don't think you heard me pal. You can turn that horse around and just go back to where you came from. I ain't gonna clean these damn streets again! Not for some idiot girl or damned dirty draconian!"

The demon recoiled just slightly. "Excuse me?

"You heard me, draconian! Just turn around and find a cave to sleep in!" The thick man seemed to be pleased with himself, and the stupid man's mistake amused Dan, if only for a moment or two. It was a brief emotion, and came only to be replaced with annoyance; the man's satisfied, smug smile crawled under his skin, strumming his nerves to the breaking point.

A push of one powerful leg sent the demon over the horse's back and arcing down through the air, he thrust his foot out and slammed it into the man's neck as gravity pulled him back to earth, landing heavily and dropping to a crouch immediately as his body absorbed the impact, the awkward posture putting him inches from the man's face, turning red as Dan's body blocked fresh air from replacing the stale breath in his lungs. Saliva dripped onto the man's beard from the demon's wide, open smile. "I just ate, but oh, this body of mine burns through calories so very fast." Ignoring the frightened whinnies of the horse, the clomping of it's hooves on the streets, Dan reached back and ripped a large, bloody chunk of flesh and muscle from the man's ribs. His beard was parted as far as his jaw could spread, wheezing, pathetic little gasps escaping from his closed throat; kicking his thick, sausage like legs, slapping hard at the demon's thighs, pushing with as much force as he could muster.

But without breath, his strength began to fade as he watched the monster that had pinned him to the cobblestones of this little town's road eat more and more pieces of himself, and with a short series of shudders, his eyes showed only white, and his tongue flopped against the back of his mouth, a useless pink mound. Dan reached in and tore it loose as well, standing as he dangled it in front of his face in consideration before tossing it into his mouth. He chewed only twice before scowling bitterly, spitting it back out.

"He's right, though," Dan sighed, turning back to the cart and the girl that lay in the back of it. He glanced around the immediate area, and frowned. There are no stables here. The horse will have to go." Approaching the frightened beast, it neighed and began to back up, but Dan's hands shot out, seizing its head, and twisted with great force, breaking it's neck. It noisily crumpled to the ground, and Dan looked from it to the bearded corpse and gave another sigh, craning his neck to the night sky. "We'll find somewhere to sleep after I clean up this mess."

Massacre
06-10-07, 06:02 PM
A'rei heard the voice of another man and Dan's insulted tone as he responded. She could only hear what was going on at first, the thump of the man hitting the ground and his flailing about after the initial landing. She mustered up the strength soon after to sit up and look what was going on, the soft hay she was laying on made it more of an effort than it should have been but she got the job done. What she saw was absolutely horrific. Because of the time it had taken her to look over the cart all she saw was Dan's descent of the man's tongue into his mouth and his spitting it back out. A'rei turned quickly around in disgust, her throat tightening and she began to gag. She couldn't hold back the putrid fluids her stomach contained and they were quickly strewn across the ground in back of the cart. She had lunged forward just in time to make sure that it hit the ground. Her throat burned from the acidic contents and now her neck ached even more than before.

The girl let out a moan as it ended, "F... fuck." Another violent surge came up as she thought about the gross actions of Dan. The liquid was all over the ground but thankfully she felt like she was done. Sadly, it was not the most obscene sight she had lately. Her own body was covered in her blood and the cloak she had been wrapped in had fallen off onto the ground barely missing the vomit.

Slowly the girl lowered her feet to the ground, making sure to avoid her vomit and picked up the cloak. It was fairly large, and black. She put it on properly rather than be wrapped in it and shifted her body to adjust to the size. She glanced towards the front of the cart to where Dan was, "How can you act so normal after killing someone, what the hell's your problem?"

The way the poor man had been killed appalled A'rei, practically eaten alive. That was almost the way that she had died though, with Dan looking down contemplating whether or not to pluck her eye out and throw it in his mouth. A'rei shuddered at the thought. What was more important was finding a source of water, she had to wash the taste out of her mouth and hopefully clean the dried blood off of her now re-colored body. She didn't look like a ghost of her formal self any longer, though as she raised her hand up the rub her neck she felt the small abrasion of a scab that covered the deeper and more insidious wound. At least I'll live... She thought.

Now her plan was to escape the clutch of this psychopath that she had fallen in tow with. There had to be a way, but going to find water and not coming back would be too obvious, she would need a better plan of action. She would go to find water, but she would come back for now. Maybe while Dan slept she could creep away.

"I'm going to find some water so I can wash myself up, I feel almost as gross as your mouth must feel." With that, A'rei began to walk off to find a stream or pond that she could use.

"This fucking place is horrible, Dia, seriously." The man who said it was annoyed now with the constant mist and little sun that littered the ground. Although it was falling quickly to darkness, he found himself irritated with the half sun that shone through.

"Well then you can go somewhere else if you want, like back to town, Frank. Quite honestly I'm sick of your constant whining." The duo that now sat near the river were close to each other, close enough to be considered flirting.

And they were.

The two bandits had been looking for easy prey for the entire day and had found nothing but a simple farmer with little gold, they were angry.

"There's nothing to be had here, you know, these people are all fucking poor." Frank turned his head to his companion, "Let's just make love, shall we?"

"What the hell, here? I don't think so, and your constant swearing doesn't exactly get me in the mood, you know."

Finally some water. A'rei thought as she approached the sound of running water. As she came around the trees, she saw that there was indeed a small river awaiting her using of it. She took off the cloak and waded in after she had approached the beach, scrubbing her body with her bare hands, working the crusted blood off.

After some time, she had most of it off and got out of the water. She grabbed the cloak and after drying herself off the best she could with an extra cloth she had grabbed, she threw the cloak back on her body. Her head got stuck for a moment and when she finally got it on she found herself looking into the face of another woman. A'rei flinched and then was grabbed from behind by powerful arms, a bag was put over her head. She flailed about but to no avail, she could feel herself being dragged about. By the time they had reached the road, the bag had fallen off her head as it had not been tied, she could see now, the cart that she had been nested in, the horse and corpse were both gone though and Dan was nowhere in sight.

"Good, we can bring this slut to town and sell her off." Frank blurted.

I'll kill you before that happens...

She was drug to the cart and thrown face first into the hay, they had stepped right in her vomit but she made sure to avoid it. Her hands were then tied behind her back roughly, she was just hoping there was something sharp nearby that she could grab...

Slayer of the Rot
06-13-07, 07:47 PM
A foul and biting stink invaded his nostrils; certainly not the scent of death, for he'd grown used to it, but vomit. Closing one blood wrapped fist on a bunching of cloth from the dead man's torn shirt, he reached back and tore through the flesh of the horse's jaw and began to drag it, stripping it of what little dignity the beast may have had in life. He circled around to the back of the wagon, walking with a brisk stride, as though the cumbersome corpses barely hindered him, and paused before A'rei, who was busy adjusting the large cloak on her considerably smaller frame.

Her question annoyed him, and it was visible in his face.

"You're an awfully stupid girl to still be alive. Though, had I not cut you down, you would indeed be dead, for whatever foolishness brought you to that position." His scowl deepened. "You're too sensitive to the plight of humanity." He edged closer to her, his eyes wide and terrible, his face mere inches from her own. His breath washed over her, and the smell of cannibalism made her recoil and clap a hand over her mouth. "In this world, it is eat or be eaten."

She was a snide little smart-ass, but he let her final comment slide and remained as still and silent as a statue as he watched her move off into the brush. Lingering for a moment or two longer, eventually he moved again, settling the horse's body only a few feet into the foliage. Animals died often in the wild, as nature intended, and questions wouldn't be raised about it if stumbled upon. Dragging the bearded corpse along as he moved further into the forest, ignoring branches that struck against him and stood in his path, he eventually found a clearing too small for at least a brute like himself to lay in without having his head, shoulders, or feet in the underbrush.

Summoning his buster sword to his free hand, he stabbed it into the ground before him and gave it a powerful shove. Dirt tore open and the sword passed over to reveal a shallow grave. He dumped the body in, and kicked as much dirt as he could over it. There would surely be a brief unrest over his appearance, but no one would care to look for him. Without a word, he turned away, dismissing his heavy sword and perking his ears, listening for A'rei, wondering briefly if she had been stupid enough to try and make a run for it.

For her luck, she hadn't.

But, as he neared the forest's edge, his strong hearing picked up the gleeful bandit's words, and turning his nose to the air, sniffed. It was faint, but still apparent; the girl's scent had diminished since she was freshly washed, but he could smell her mingled with the smell of two others, the vomit, and the blood that had spilt on the ground. His large frame betrayed how silent he could be if he wished to be so; he crept forward, staying low, watching where he stepped. 'This is a perfect opportunity for a test. Kidnapped, bound, and threatened with slavery, I wonder if she would kill these two for her freedom?'

The man and woman were busy bickering over something he cared not a bit about. Turning his attention to the girl laying in the back of the wagon, he summoned a combat knife to his hand. Constructed of black delyn, they wouldn't notice it quite as easily as they would the mythril dagger. Cocking his hand back, he tossed it through the air. It landed point in the hay with a thump and stuck, presenting it's edge to cut her binds.

'Now, to enjoy the show.'

Massacre
06-14-07, 08:31 PM
A'rei could not and would not be sold off as a slave ever again. Something had to be done, she was bound, yes, but she saw a small knife now. The metal was black, something she had never seen before. The two bandits were at the front of the cart, they had begun to labor at pulling it. That was probably easier than leading the girl thrashing into town. They were smart, but not too smart. Nobody was too smart for her. She slowly crept up to the knife once they started moving, rubbing the rope up against it. She could feel the cutting of her binds and after a few moments she was free. She took the knife in her hand and looked over her captors briefly before deciding where to stab them. The man would be more dangerous, he was stronger than A'rei, she would kill him first, he was on the left from where A'rei was, looking out the front of the cart.

She quickly jumped over the left side, landing softly on the ground and dashing swiftly but staying low, she came up with the small blade in her her left under the man's arm, cutting the artery. A shriek came from the man's mouth but was quickly a full fledged scream of agony as A'rei cut into his inner thigh. Instantly, the man fell and writhed in pain, reaching for his blade. He was disabled and A'rei moved on to the woman, she had pulled her blade and faced the black haired girl with a look of amazement on her face. "I'll let you run. I don't need to fight you." A'rei stated coldly.

The bandit woman stared at her blankly, sword in hand. Her partner was moaning in pain, his life draining on to the ground in back of A'rei. She felt no emotion, these people had tried to harm her, the punishment was undeniable. The woman was lucky she was given the chance to run. Foolishly, the woman spoke courageously, "I'll... I'll kill you!" With that, she blindly rushed at the Scara Braen. She took an exactly vertical swipe at A'rei that was easily stepped out of the way of by the agile body she possessed. Dropping her her knees, A'rei rolled forward and turned so she would be facing the back of the woman when she rose.

She was frighteningly successful at her attempt, she got to her feet quickly and stabbed the woman's hard spine, a sudden jolt coming from the bandit's entire body. Quickly, A'rei pulled the knife out and stabbed at the left kidney, she would let the poisons of her own organs cause her agony until the last moment.

"I'm sorry." A'rei whispered into her opponent's ear and she let her fall to the ground, twitching and unable to scream in the anguish she must have felt. Roughly, she leaned over and ripped the sword from the bandit's hand and removed the sheath from her side, strapping it to her own body. She fluidly cleaned the blade of the dagger off with the cloak Dan had used to cover her and put the sword back in it's new resting place at her side.

A'rei walked away to find Dan, or anyone for that matter, who knew where to go. She was completely lost in Dheathain and needed Dan right now. Surely her self proclaimed 'master' would come in search of her, so the girl walked to the back of the cart, paying little attention to the cries that came from the two that had fallen victim to her blade.

So now, she sat and waited.

Slayer of the Rot
06-26-07, 06:19 PM
The blood had not even sufficiently cooled before the demon emerged from the brush, his lips stretched wide in an amused smile. "Oh, how you have met my expectations, young lady. With your life threatened, you're quite ruthless, though I must say, I was a little...let down by your offer to the woman to simply let her go." The smile dropped off his face, and before she could put a hand on the hilt of her stolen sword, he was inches from her face, leaning into her, giving her no quarter and holding back a bemused smirk as she stubbornly refused to show her fear, though her face still folded in disgust at the smell of his corpse breath.

"Do not shy from me." His hand darted up and clamped firmly around her fine cheekbones. "Fate saw fit to give you a second chance at life. You will rise up from the insects the common man calls humanity. I see much of my young self in your attitude, and you are one of the most suitable candidates I have stumbled upon in these three past years for apprenticeship." He stepped away from her, a deep set, stern frown on his face, and set his hands on his hips. He said nothing more on the matter; surely she would understand. She seemed quite intelligent; her green eyes sparkled with it.

"Murderin'...rotten b-bastards..." Dan arched an eyebrow and turned, eyes looking down towards the crippled male of the duo that had tried to make off with his new apprentice.

"Excuse me? I do believe you called my property a slut on no grounds. Additionally, you were planning to sell her off as a slave. You deserve what punishment she has given to you. Besides, neither of you are dead, yet." Despite the sizable puddle of blood growing larger beneath him, the man found the energy to quickly reach within his jacket and produce a hand bow. Dan began to move, but the bowstring snapped and the bolt sliced high through the air.

The demon roared loudly as he pitched his head back, blood lending new color to the hand that had shot to his face. Before the slightest ray of victory could shine across the bandit's face, Dan lurched forward, throwing the bolt to the ground. The projectile had only dealt him a slight wound, thanks to inhuman reflexes. Face twisted with rage, the Bhidyate appeared in his hand and came down incredibly fast, ripping the man in two, as well as crushing the stone road beneath him. Dan drew in a deep, ragged breath and pulled his enormous sword from the crater, and scooped up the paralyzed woman, tossing her onto the butchered pieces of her companion.

"This is your place!" He roared, bringing his foot down on the back of her head firm enough to hold her in place, but not hard enough to kill her as he would with an unrestrained blow. Tears mixed with dirt and blood as she sobbed silently, pain and misery wracking her body. "You belong no longer to the human race!" He leveled the huge, bloodstained sword at A'rei, its tip dangerously close to her nose.

"Man is nothing but a monkey that can walk up right! You are Audeamus now; superior to the ones that birthed you into this world in every way!" The sword vanished, the blood drops spattered in a crooked line on the ground from Dan to the cart the only evidence it had ever been there. His fit of rage was disturbingly fleeting; the monstrous anger that had turned his face into an even uglier representation of itself had disappeared, it seemed, at the same time as the Bhidyate. He dropped down to his haunches and snatched up the blood splattered bag the male bandit had been carrying, opened it, and rummaged about. A moment later, he dropped the bag and in his hand held a slightly stained map. He unfolded it with a snap and shakes of his wrist, held it before his face for another moment, then folded it back up and shoved it into his back pocket.

"There is one more test left; one more task in Suthainn before we can say farewell to this wretched place." He stepped closer to the wagon and turned, presenting his back to her. "You're going to take that plundered sword and kill the ones that hung you by wire from that tree. Now, get on. With the map, I can have us at Suthainn within the next few hours."

Massacre
08-25-07, 03:58 PM
"So you want me to kill Draconians? I've tried to fight against them before, I couldn't do it, as much as I hate them, I don't know if this is a good idea..." A'rei cooed as she got on the cart as Dan instructed. As much as she feared the Draconians, Dan was something fearsome, something infinitely more vicious and cruel than any scaled beast could be. She felt like she stared into the eyes of carnage itself when she looked at Dan, they had seen terror.

They were moving south toward Suthainn in no time, Dan's monstrous strength pulling her in the cart at an incredible efficiency that the horse he had previously killed could hardly keep up with. She wasn't sure why Dan hadn't made her walk; perhaps he was proud of her enough to carry her weight, which probably felt like nothing, all the way to Suthainn. Either that or he wanted to move faster than she could go, which was more likely the case. As they neared the grand city, the fog grew thick and the air was heavy with moisture, up in the trees of the Draconians, it didn’t feel quite so wet, but down on the ground that wasn’t the case at all. She would be hard pressed to remember exactly where everything was, her memory of the city of Suthainn was foggy.

‘But you still know how to kill the ones who hurt you, don’t you, A’rei?’

…yes.

Suthainn came in no time at all, it seemed. She had been talking with herself, or whoever it was that made the voice sway in and out of her head the entire time, about the recent events that had passed. The voice urged her forward, to unleash her rage and anger. It had been pent up as long as she could remember and it needed to be let out. She was angry at the Draconians, her father, and even herself, she had been made to realize. The girl had let them push her around, beat her, and all her life she hadn’t realized that it was her own fault that she was so angry in her core being.

She could see the platforms in the trees, it was time to just wait for Dan to give her some direction.

...And then Dan was gone. Nowhere in sight, and A'rei was left in confusion. A light breeze soothed her aching body, her fatigue began to get the best of her, and it was then that her resolve began to falter. What was she doing here? The Draconians were powerful beings, able to overpower A'rei with hardly any effort. With Dan she had felt strong and able. Now, the one she had begun to look to as a master was nowhere to be seen, was this her test?

It must be to test me, to test my resolve. I must finish this on my own. The girl thought to herself, she stood then from the cart and stepped over the edge, her foot landing lightly on the ground, but she stumbled and fell to the moist dirt, her face landing in it. Her frustration began to mount as she found her legs unable to comply with the commands they were being given. Get up! she told herself again and again, get up, get up! Still, her body would not comply. The blood had been drained when she was hung, and the encounter with the bandits had left her drained. Her body simply collapsed there.

However, her mind was racing. Why can't I do this? A'rei, get up! I can't fail my new master now... get up! She heard the thud of what sounded like hooves landing on the ground near her, when she looked up to see what it was, large, sickeningly grotesque wings covered the fog swept landscape. The girl felt a surge of fear, it forced her body into action, made her strong again. Fear was a tool that could be used for benefit. Her most primal of fears was that of death, and when that threat was imminent, the adrenaline pumped into her body was immeasurable.

She took the sword that was recovered from the bandit she had slain and slashed, only to hit air. Then she felt a blistering pain in the back of her head as a Draconian foot landed on her skull, but she rolled out from under it before she was crushed, and taking her sword gave an upward slash into the inner thigh of the beast. It let out a terrifying screech of pain and buckled, unable to stand.

A'rei rose, and with the Draconian on its knees, she took a violent horizontal slash at its head, and then another, and another, until she tired to the point of exhaustion. She fell, too tired to think, but she knew in her core that she had finally slain a Draconian. Her test of strength was complete.

Taskmienster
10-17-08, 03:59 PM
JUDGING!
My Fears Have Become Phobias

Characters Involved:
~Massacre

~Slayer of the Rot

STORY (13/30)

~ Continuity ~ 4

~Why was A’rei there? How did she get to the draconian? Why did she have to be the savior? All of it was lost and I’m still questioning it. Dan came to find someone, but didn’t continue with that. Neither character’s background was given, expect for a few times when you said that A’rei was a slave hunter, and once that she was from Scara Brae.

~ Setting ~ 4

~It was described well enough, but almost never used. I’m not one that says you must ‘use’ the setting in your thread, as long as you describe it well, but it seems that it was nearly forgotten for the story… then the story was forgotten.

~ Pacing ~ 5

~I was pretty much lost after the first 8 posts on why things were going as they were. After that it seemed like you ignored the entire story that you had set up so far in order to be with Dan and enter the pg…

CHARACTER (15/30)

~ Dialogue ~ 6

~Dan, spot on. Massacre, you went from not being able to speak to speaking full, perfect sentences. Didn’t indicate that your voice was harsh, broken, or that it hurt (other than at one point before you were forming full sentences again).

~ Action~ 4

~It was quick paced, suddenly there and suddenly gone. The fight with the draconian at the end was a surprise, as well as rather simple for a girl who had been battered around by everything with two legs in the country… Work on making that a little bit more realistic.

~ Persona ~ 5

~Massacre, your character is… bland. I got that she was a weak girl who anything passing could have their way with. You didn’t really express anything about WHO she was, just what was happening to her.

~Dan’s a sick mofo, I like it. He was played very well. It wasn’t until you came in, unfortunately, that I found reason to give a better score here. The only thing that confused me was that you came to find a draconian to get into your pg, and ended up settling for A’rei… but never really indicated why you did.

WRITING STYLE (17/30)

~ Technique ~ 6

~Massacre~ “It was frustrating as I tried to make them move but the illusions I was creating were stubborn and refused to conform to my will, it seemed.” When you put a dependent clause like ‘it seemed’ at the end of a sentence it throws off the entire thing, you put ‘,then’ earlier that threw off the sentence about listening. [4]

~ Mechanics ~ 6

~Massacre~ “as though he knew I were thinking…” were should be was. [1] “as though he wanted to mistakes in his use of words…” Missing words or misused words, not sure which but the sentence makes no sense. [1] “mucky ground sucking my feet it while I created illusion…” Used it when you didn’t need it, done this a couple times. [4] “I took that as my cue and followed the scaled humanoid where to led me…” ‘where to led me’ throws it off. [4] “nothing the different scale patterns…” Noting instead of nothing. [4]

~ Clarity ~ 5

~Massacre~ You seem to write long winded sentences that are borderline run-ons at times, which takes away from the clarity in the sense that I have to re-read the sentence just to figure out what you are saying. Try to make those a little shorter without detracting from the pacing.

WILD CARD!!! 5

TOTAL

(50/100)

GAINS/REWARDS!

~Massacre gains 525 exp and 250 gold

~Slayer of the Rot gains 1444 exp and 250 gold

Witchblade
10-22-08, 07:51 AM
EXP and GP added!