PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Reality

Axeheart
05-04-07, 10:06 PM
Sometimes, people of immortality do not treasure just how precious life is. The fact that they can never die of age warps their sense of value, and life seems like one long undertaking after another.

But there comes a time when this value is tested...when a supposedly immortal person realizes just how much of a treasure life is. And they awake from their dream to realize the mortal reality of life. -Unknown

Clang

The sound resounded as Mac parried his opponent's attack, quickly following it up with a sweeping slash towards the man's lower body while he was off balence. The blade struck true, cleaving the man in twain. Mac turned his attention to another foe, this one a fast dagger wielding person. He probably would need some help againsst him, as he was carrying such a heavy weapon, which would make him too slow to hit the guy.

Mac brought the greatsword up, preparing to bring it crashing down on his opponent's head, as the opponent ducked low for leverage. Just as the two were about to make their respective strikes, they noticed an arrow shaft protruding from the man's back. He fell to the ground, where he would never again rise from.

Mac turned to where the arrow had come from. "Goo' shootin', Kish. Now train tha' bow over on one o' those guys surroundin' Shen." He shouted as he dashed over to where he had been refering to. Once again, he prepared for his attack, drawing back his blade for power. He heard the sound of wood bending somewhere behind him...like that of a bow pulled back for the shot. A blur of dark color flashed by him as the arrow struck one of the men attacking. Another two fell, the other brought down almost simultaneously from the sheer force of the attack.

He assumed a defensive stance, ready to block and parry any incoming attacks. "Shen! If you plan on doin anything, now's the time!" he shouted to his other companion, an elf-blooded sorceress of sorts. She was very powerful...the proof of which was shown yet again as two more were engulfed in flames, the girl's power unleashing itself upon them. "Way to go, Shen! Just two more to go!" he said, clutching his side in pain as a mace collided mith his armor, bruising the body underneath.

The remaining two were taken care of quickly, another arrow striking one, and one of Shenjara's Torches blasting the other. The battle was over, and while they hadn't been unscathed, they were lucky enough to come out without anything bad. Kishurin had taken a few scratches, from what Mac had seen, and Shenjara had managed to avoid the attacks long enough for help to come. Mac had taken a nice blow to his side, and a small gash on his left arm from where a sword had grazed it. But other than that, they were for the most part, fine.

Panting, Mac called out to his companions, "Oi! Some fight, eh? I wonder what that was all about? Well, what ever it was about, they weren't very good at fighting, it would seem. What do you think?"

hamnat
05-04-07, 10:46 PM
She was very tired. She had thrown several Torches, and needed to rest badly. She rarely used up so much energy. Ugh...that's what they get for such vile acts. I feel so violated.. she thought. The memory of what happened to cause the battle was one that repulsed her.

"Hey, sweetheart, come on over here with us. We're a little lonely and could use some, ahem, company," one of them had said. She quickly refused and started walking away when he grabbed her by her waist and started to pull her forcefully into an alleyway. She had turned and slapped him, only to be repayed with his vile kiss. She had followed it up with a knee to his groin, temporarily incapacitating him. As she had turned to run, the man whistled and a group of men started to chase her down the street.

Apparently she had run past Kishurin and Mac, because as soon as she was out of the town, they showed up to help her. After that, hostilities were exchanged, and the fight began. Ten men had chased her out of the city, eight of which had fallen in the fight. The other two had run like cowards when Mac unsheathed his greatsword.

Wiping her lips to remove the man's vile presence, she looked around. Just to the west was the town they had been in. The houses and shops therein were all constructed of wood from the Red Forest not far to the South, the edge which she could see from here. The ground was covered with grass of a lovely green color, almost as dark as her robes, but more natural, more clean. It tickled her feet, which she never covered in any way. She had walked far in her travels, and had never worn boots or slippers or anything of the sort in her lifetime.

The three of them were traveling from the Coronian capital of Radasanth, where they had heard that powerful mages resided in Raiaera, the land in which they now journeyed. They were headed for Eluriand, where she hoped someone would be willing to help her learn how to control her power more effectively, so that she could begin practicing with more compicated spells than Torch, Chill, and Blast. They had traveled on a merchant ship to a port on the coast now far to the east of them.

Shenjara looked around once more. The eight bloody and burned bodies showed no sign of movement. Some, she figured, would survive and let all their friends know that half-elven travelers were not to be underestimated. She had been suprised that none of them had insult her half-blooded heritage, as usually in her travels, people looked down on her with hate and contempt. A few times she had been called a "pointy-eared dog," as well as other labels, some not as offensive, and a few unforgivably profane.

Mac and Kishurin were the only two she traveled with. She had met them long ago, and the three had overwhelmed a group of bandits. She still remembered how Mac had squirmed whenever she had tended the injury he had sustained in that fight. It had left a very profound scar, which Mac seemed very proud of. It was hard for her to understand how men thought, and she was sure she never would.

Shenjara remembered just how tired she really was, and slumped to the ground. She said soflty, "I need some rest. Shall we go back into town, guys? I'm pretty sure you two are fairly tired, yourselves." She was exhausted and a good long sleep would do her good. Besides, it was late in the day. The sun was setting behind the mountains to the west, and the wind blew softly through the grass. It looked as though a sea of green was laid out before her, the grass rippling in the wind like waves upon the water. But for her, she was too tired to enjoy the beauty of the world around her. Sleep was the only thing she could think of. And sleep she would get.

Rith
05-05-07, 01:43 PM
Rith walked into town and headed for the nearest Inn; habit, obviously. After a long day’s walk and a run in with getting lost, he decided it was time for a good drink, a nice hot meal and a bit of undisturbed rest.

Evening set in not long ago. The night’s temperature was mild, the winds were at ease and Rith groggily walked into the town. A few oil-lit lamps flickered alongside the path guiding travelers to the gate. He could see a few buildings, many of which were single-story and well lit from the inside. A few of the buildings stood out, taller than the others, and this is where Rith figured an Inn was to be located. Passing a stable on his left, a small smithy just beyond that to his right, he entered into the bulk of the small town’s buildings.

Only a few locals and beggars were roaming the town square at this time of night, many of which were either in the tavern or in their homes readying themselves for bed. Rith walked into town square and wandered around, unable to find the inn. Damned it! I want to get off my feet! Gah, one of these people can help me out.

Rith walked up to an elderly lady sitting atop a small stone wall encircling a small garden and asked, “’S'cuse me, I’ma bit los’ an’ was wonder’n if yah could guide me tah the local inn?”

The old lady slowly, with a bone cracking in her elbow, pointed to her left. She didn’t bother looking up or even trying to make eye contact with Rith. She likewise put her arm back down towards her lap and began fondling with whatever it was before Rith interrupted her.

“Thank yah”, Rith said in a kind voice, and began walking down the road.

The Inn wasn’t far, maybe three buildings down. There he pushed through the door and assumed a seat at the far end of the bar. Rith laid his axe down, head first, towards the floor and propped the handle against the bar’s end, he did likewise with his bow and quiver but left his dagger in his waistband. The barstools had small backs so there was no need in taking off his pack, except for the fact of getting out some gold.

Momentarily, an elderly elf barkeep assumed position in front of Rith. “What cannI get ya?”, he asked. Rith’s stomach let out a loud growl and the barkeep stood there and chuckled to him-self, “Food’s on the menu tonight eh?”

“Go’ that right. How ‘out a legg’a lamb, two rolls, a ‘tato, a mug of a nice sweet ale, and a bed fo’ the night? Yah gots all that?”, Rith asked.

“Sure thing. The room’ll cost yah four coins, the food and drink another six. Yer room is upstair’, first door on the right”, he told Rith then walked off into the back room.

Rith pulled off his pack and proped it into his lap where he reached his hand down and by feel pulled out the ten coins. He dropped them into a pile closer to the barkeep's side of the long table and waited patiently for his order. The barkeep came back out, with the requested drink to start Rith off, and snatched up the coins, placing them into his front apron pocket.

Another ten or so minutes later, a small human girl with brown hair that was probably no older than eighteen walked out carrying his food. She placed it in front of Rith without a word and headed back through the door she appeared from.

These people don’t talk much, well except for the barkeep of course, but that’s his job. Rith took a rather large gulp of his drink and sat it back on the table. Never tasted this sort of drink before, and not too strong which is a nice change, oddly enough. Quite good, wonder what’s in it. Hopefully the food’s just as good, and then off to bed. Wonder if I should stick around town for another day or two, see if anything presents itself or just move along.

Translations:

“Excuse me, I’m a bit lost and was wondering if you could guide me to the local inn?”

“Got that right. How about a leg of lamb, two rolls, a potato, a mug of nice sweet ale, and a good bed for the night? Have you got all that?”

-10 coins total

Kishurin
05-06-07, 09:25 PM
Kishurin walked around, gathering all the arrows he'd used up, to which the count came to at least 15. He hadn't gotten much practice with it in the short time between now and when he'd incarnated. He would spend some of the time in which they were camped to get some practice. Luckily, none of the arrows were lost or broken, but he would clean the heads as soon as he could

Mac's question brought up a weird feeling in him. He answered the question, "I daren't pass judgment on the dead, in any form. That these unfortunate souls lived as such, they must have had sad lives." He looked over at Mac and continued, "I will pray for those of them that won't survive to find peace, and those that will survive, to find happiness." He looked up to where he thought the star of his home would soon be when the dark veil of night finally fell over the world.

As he looked up, the star appeared, and Kishurin realized just how late it really was. It was also starting to get a little bit chill. "I think it's near time to be heading back into town now to find somewhere to bed for the night. It wouldn't do well to stay out here and catch cold, now would it?" Kishurin asked. He would finish his prayer later, but now it is time to find some lodging and nourishment... He addressed them again, "Let's check for survivors. If any are still alive, let's not make them suffer a cold, lonely, and possibly-fatal night. We'll borrow a shovel and bury the rest. We don't want wolves to plague the town in return for today's happenings."

hamnat
05-07-07, 05:43 PM
Shenjara felt that truer words had never been spoken. She was tired beyond belief and was surprised she could still stand. She would have to sit out on the burying part, but she was ecstatic at the idea of getting some sleep. "I'm with you on that first bit, Kishurin! Though I'm not so keen on the rest." Her knees were actually beginning to buckle, so she flopped to the ground while she could still do so without breaking her face. "I used up to much energy in that fight...I just need to rest...." she said before falling over, as asleep as one can be.

Axeheart
05-07-07, 06:32 PM
He watched the girl fall asleep suddenly. She really had used up a great deal of energy, and he was surprised she'd still been awake up until that point. "Aye...the lass has fallen asleep. Looks like we'll be doin' it ourselves, eh Kish? Too bad...maybe we coulda cremated 'em," Mac said with a chuckle.

Mac went back to the edge of the town where there was a shovel lying against a wall. He grabbed it and took it back to the place where they'd just fought. After propping Shenjara against a tree, he began digging the hole in which they would bury the dead. In the mean time, Kishurin was nearby checking for survivors. He was a good guy, that Kishurin. The pure black eyes made him rather intimidating at first sight, but he was hardly anyone to fear.

Kishurin
05-08-07, 04:37 PM
Only three had survived. He was filled with remorse for helping cause five more deaths in this world. While Mac dug the hole, Kishurin dragged the three that hadn't been killed to the town where he turned them over to someone to care for them. After leaving them with some woman, he ran back to the others to help finish whatever still needed to be finished.

Mac had finished digging and was beginning to drag the bodies into the shared grave. He'd taken the swords off the men. Whatever for, Kishurin had only a slight idea. But instead of sitting around, "Here, let me help you with that," he said, grabbing the dead man's feet and lifting. The two of them dragged each of the bodies into the grave. The hole had been dug well and rather deep, so that the last body was at least 3 feet below them.

The two of them worked together to refill the hole with dirt, filling up the entire space where the hole had been before. When they finished, Mac stuck each of the swords into the grave, a slight mound, in the shape of a semi-circle. Both of them bowed their heads, Kishurin out of remorse, and Mac most likely did to honor them.

Kishurin gathered all of his gear and unstrung his bow. He would hopefully not need it on the way back.

Axeheart
05-09-07, 10:32 PM
Mac sh was going to let them die with at least some honor. While they may have been rather bad fighters, they were brave. That deserved some respect, if not much. I'll 'ave ta ask Shenjara 'bout wha' happened earlier. Maybe one of them stepped on her foot... he thought to heimself with a chuckle. Shenjara was known to have a very quick temper...one that several bandits had helped kindle and become victims of themselves.

Mac gathered her frail body in his arms. She wasn't much of a burden by herself, but her robe seemed to hide a full backpack's worth of weight. All that added to his armor, weapons, and other gear, and it drew sweat almost immediately. They walked back towards the town, a slow grueling process for Mac with all the weight he carried. Kishurin had gathered all his gear and was a little further than Mac, but he did stop to wait for Mac at the edge of the town.

When he finally caught up, he asked a nearby lady where the nearest inn was. She gave them rather simple directions and a disapproving look when she saw the unconscious girl in his arms. "Aye....Ah'm na gonna take a'vantige o' th' lass. She's a companion o' ours, an' I've not'in' bu' respect fa' her," he said in attempt to assuage any fears she might have to the contrary.

The two of them followed the directions as best they could. They must have done well, because shortly after, they came to the door of the inn. The sign said "The Sullen Sod," A ratha odd name fa' a place...ah well. An inn's an inn. Kishurin opened the door and they walked through.

Mac called out to the innkeeper, "Oy, innkeepa'. We are in need o' some rooms t' rest in, 'specially this young lass. We've go' money t' pay if needed."

The innkeeper looked towards them. "Sure. I got a couple of rooms for ya. They're four coins a piece: upstairs, second, and third on the right, and the second on the left. Ya need anything, I'll be down here."

Mac fished out 12 coins, walked over to the innkeeper, and paid for the rooms. The two of them and the limp Shenjara went up the stairs to find their rooms. Mac put Shenjara on soft bed in the second room on the left. Then he took the third room on the right and dropped his equipment, but left his armor on. He figured he would join the public before he turned in for the night.

Rith
05-11-07, 08:58 AM
Rith had long finished his plate and just ordered his third ale when he noticed another group of travelers entering the Inn. Well that’s what I call a strange bunch. A blue-haired human and a dwarf that’s carrying a girl obviously taller than him; what the hell is wrong with this picture? I’d honestly love to know how this group came together. It was quite an odd sight for Rith, considering he had never seen a blue-haired human before, or anyone with blue hair for that matter, and it had been quite a long time since he had seen another dwarf.

The dwarf walked towards the bar and spoke a few words to the Innkeeper as he was beginning to prepare Rith’s drink. The dwarf held the small girl in his arms and momentarily vanished towards the upper level of the building with the blue-haired human leading the way. Ah well, they’re obviously staying the night too.

After handling business with the travelers the innkeeper soon attended to Rith’s end of the bar and slid the glass of ale to him while scooping up Rith’s plate and empty mugs. The barkeeper walked down behind the bar and dropped the mugs and plate into a rather large barrel filled with other dishes. It wasn’t long before he came back and asked, “Anything else I can get ya?”

Rith propped his elbows down onto the bar and slumped over a bit getting a little more comfortable. “Nah! Think, I beh goo’ fo’ awhil’. I’ll call yah if I do though.”

“Alright.” The barkeep walked off and fiddled with a few things down under the bar before disappearing once again into the back room.

By this time, Rith noticed the dwarf descending down the stairs once again, this time without his companions and personals. He still wore his armor, but he looked a little relieved to no longer be toting another being around. Rith stuck his hand up in the air hoping to get the dwarf’s attention and hollered out, “AYE! Yah o’er ther’, on tah stair’! Have a drink with meh! Been ‘while sin’ I seen ano’er o’ our kind ‘round ‘ere, take ah seat!”

Translations:

“Nope! I think I’ll be good for awhile.” “I’ll call you if I do though.”

“Aye! You over there, on the stairs! Have a drink with me! It’s been awhile since I’ve seen another of our kind around here, take a seat!.”

-15 coins total (including the drinks and such)

Axeheart
05-11-07, 05:23 PM
Mac heard the dwarven man calling to him. Another Dukrav? Hmm...nah too surprisin'...much Dukrav trade wi' th' surface takes place in this region. It'll be nice t' hear some news abou' the clan, if he's heard anythin'. He responded with a hearty laugh, "Sure thin', stranger! I'll join ye!" He walked over and joined the dwarf at his table.

He took his features in, brown hair, blue eyes, leathery skin, and a smith's build. While his hair color was a rarity among his people, the rest of him spoke "Dukrav" to him. He gave another hearty laugh, and said, "Well me', friend! Th' name's Mac, Mac Axehart. And either meh eyes deceive me or yer a fella smith! How 'bout i', mister...eh...Wha's yer name, friend?"

Rith
05-30-07, 10:12 PM
The dwarf walked over to the table after acknowledging Rith’s shout from across the room. “Aye. Meh name’s Rith Crosis-Treva of teh Darigaaz lin’. ‘Nde’d yer cor’ct ‘bout meh smithin’ as I ‘ave meh own back in teh moun'ins.”

Rith looked around the room for a moment and ordered another drink for himself.

“Sah, wha’ brin’s yah ‘ere,a n’ ‘at one’s yah came in with, wha’ was wrong wit ‘er? She didn’ seem tah be in teh best o’ condit’ns, like yah foun’ ‘er in teh woods ‘er som’thin, uhhh, Mac was it?”

Sorry it's short but, I though I'd give you a little something to work with here. Again I appoligize for not being able to post...

Translations:

“Aye. My name’s Rith Crosis-Treva of the Darigaaz line. Indeed you’re correct about my smithing, as I have my own back in the mountains.”

“So, what brings you here, and the one you came in with, what was wrong with her? She didn’t seem to be in the best of conditions, like you found her in the woods or something, uhmm, Mac was it?”

Axeheart
07-06-07, 01:00 PM
"Yep. Th' name is indeed Mac. Mac Axehart." He replied. After a bit of contemplation, he continued. "Ach...Darigaaz. Nah a Dukrav name. Means yer one o' th' cousins. A dwarf I think they call 'em. A lot similar to a Dukrav, but nah quite th' same." He said with a slight bit of sadness. He had hoped this was a fellow Dukrav, but he was only a dwarf. Ah well. He's nah a Dukrav, but he is the next bes' thing!

Brightening up again, "We may nah be kin, but we're close enough, eh? So what brings ye here, Rith? Some smithin' job?"

"Yep. The name is indeed Mac. Mac Axehart."

"Hmm...Darigaaz. Not a Dukrav name. Means you're one of the cousins. A dwarf I think they call them. A lot similar to a Dukrav, but not quite the same."

Ah well. He's not a Dukrav, but he is the next best thing!

"We may not be kin, but we're close enough, eh? So what brings you here, Rith? Some smithing job?"

(sorry I took so long...)