PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Rapier.

Edward Judorne
05-06-07, 06:25 PM
Edward was in an extremely dire predicament. He had broken his rapier in a recent adventure being left with only the hilt. He had no other weapons to use, and without much magic in his arsenal, he couldn't help but feel helpless, so you can bet that he was happy to find a weapons shop on his travels.

As Edward walked in, he realized that he would need help finding a weapon to meet his needs. After looking around a bit he stood next to the counter and waited for some service.

AdventWings
05-07-07, 04:21 PM
Klank Klink Klank!

The steady rhythm of heated metal being pounded against cold solid steel echoed from the backroom, steady wave of heat issuing forth from the opened doorway behind the weathered countertop.

Klink Klink Klank!

The blacksmith finally dipped the searing blade into the water, letting the red-hot blade rest there while he attended to his customer.

"So, what can I help you with, sir?" Jirou stepped up to the counter, his face glistening with sweat and arms coated in a fine layer of ash. "I have the finest swords and armors, all guaranteed by the creator himself."

It was atypical for a blacksmith to be selling his own wares, especially when all the others around tend to just buy them in bulk and put them up for sale. That was not the Akashiman way, however, and Jirou felt more comfortable selling items that he could guarantee.

Edward Judorne
05-11-07, 11:47 AM
Edward looked over at the blacksmithand smiled.

"Good day to you. I have a slight problem that I thought you could help me with. I need a new rapier. my last one snapped like a twig, so all I have of it is this."

He placed the hilt on the counter.

"I am looking for a rapier that won't break too easily and can hold an electrical charge. It has always been a habit of mine to power my rapier up with a few electrical blasts. If possible, I would also like it sharp, but it mainly just needs to be sturdy. can you help me?"

AdventWings
05-13-07, 07:04 AM
Jirou nodded as he listened to his customer's plight, eyeing the broken blade resting atop his worn counter.

Sturdy, rapier... Magical electrical charges...

"Yes, I believe I can help you with that, sir."

The blacksmith smiled as he moved to a wall, lined with short swords and other edged weapons he had crafted in his spare time. Pulling one down from the wall, he laid the beautifully crafted blade on the faded brown woodwork.

"Here's one that you might find interesting, sir. Blade crafted from Damascus, the basket hilt from Delyn and grip wrapped with treated cowhide for that firm grip in your hand."

Jirou was fairly confident his customer would find the blade a fitting replacement to his previous weapon. The basket hilt would provide more than sufficient protection for his hand, being made of sturdy delyn and reinforced with a crossguard underneath. The Damascus blade ran through the crossguard and under the wrapped grip, ending at the pommel with a steel cap shaped into the head of a griffin.

The sword was not what Jirou would call a masterpiece, but it was one he was quite proud of.

Edward Judorne
05-13-07, 03:54 PM
Edward looked the blade over and nodded. The blade looked great, but it also looked expensive.

"Yeah. This should do just fine, but how much does something like this usually run for?"

AdventWings
05-13-07, 07:07 PM
"Hmm, let me check the price for you, sir."

Jirou thumbed through a small book behind his counter for the price, his fingers leaving the already worn edges moist and flimsy.

"That blade is 480 gold pieces, sir. I so hope it is not too high for you."

Edward Judorne
05-14-07, 10:07 AM
Edward was surprised at the price. Sure, it was more than he had on him, but it still seemed awful cheap.

"I don't suppose you have anything a bit on the cheaper side. I am coming up a bit short here."

AdventWings
05-14-07, 10:25 AM
"Well, I'm not sure if I have cheaper ones than that, sir..."

Jirou did not know how to put it without causing the customer to turn on his heels and leave without a purchase. The Akashiman thought it over, taking a quick glance at the broken blade.

Unless...

"Well, you know, sir..." Jirou mused, picking up the rapier and balancing what was left of the weapon in his callous, sturdy hands.

"This is quite a blade you have here... Until it was in the condition you showed me here, sir. How about I replace the blade with a Damascus one instead of selling you a new one? It would cost only... Two hundred and seventy gold pieces, sir."

He reckoned it would be enough to satisfy his customer without putting too much strain on his coffer, although the sword would not be as sturdy as the one he had made with is hands. Still, Jirou was a blacksmith. He could craft any sword he put his mind on.

Edward Judorne
05-14-07, 11:17 AM
Edward didn't even have to think about this option before agreeing to it.

"Really? Thank you. Here is the money." Edward said as he laid 270 gold on the counter. "I might come back for that other rapier later, but right now, I just don't have enough."

Edward sat down and waited for his blade to be replaced.

AdventWings
05-14-07, 10:17 PM
"It will take a while for me to craft the blade, sir." Jirou smiled apologetically as he carefully gripped what remained of Edward's rapier. "You may want to come back for this in two days time. I shall have your sword ready by then."

The blacksmith palmed the customer's payment and put it into his safekeeping box before starting for the backroom where he had been hammering away at a piece of steel, turning around to address his customer as he passed through the door's threshold.

"So... would that be anything else, sir? If not, please return in two days to this shop and I will have your sword ready."

Edward Judorne
05-17-07, 10:39 AM
Man, the money from my most recent quest couldn't have been added at a better time. Thank you. :)

As Edward went to head out the door, he suddenly remembered about some money he had come upon not too long ago. It was almost embarassing for him to realize that he had enough all along, but the fact remained that he did.

"You know, on second thought, I think I will take that 480 gold piece rapier. I just realized that I had more money than I thought at first." Edward said as he put another 230 gold pieces on the table.

"I also added an extra 20 gold pieces on to thank you for your patience. Sorry to have troubled you so much."

AdventWings
05-17-07, 08:32 PM
"Oh, I see."

Jirou was almost at the forge by the time the customer announced his wish, one hand already wrapped around the handle of his trusty hammer and another inspecting the slabs of damascus in the shelves. The blacksmith made his way back to the counter with the broken rapier in his hand and counted out the gold laid out on the table.

"Alright then, sir. Here you go. And what would you like to do with this broken rapier, sir?"

Edward Judorne
05-20-07, 02:06 PM
"Why don't you keep it. I'm sure you can put it to better use than I could." Edward said as he picked up his new Damascus rapier and headed out the door, leaving the money on the table.

"Now, if you will excuse me, I must be on my way. I still have work to do. Thanks again."

AdventWings
05-21-07, 09:35 PM
"Well, thank you, sir. I will do just that."

The Akashiman blacksmith palmed the money and placed them in a bag as the customer left, his eyes sweeping the interior for any customers wanting his attention. Upon seeing none, the man smiled and returned to the forge, one hand wrapped around the grip of his last customer's broken weapon and his mind formulating a new sword based on the design.

I wonder if I can really do that...

((Transaction Completed.

Edward Judorne loses 500 GP and his broken steel rapier in exchange for his Delyn Rapier with Damascus Blade. 100 EXP bonus.))