PDA

View Full Version : Signature problems

Jasmine
05-15-07, 01:19 AM
Okay, so I decided to update my quest list and get rid of all the dead links, but when I when I tried to save my new signature, it told me that it couldn't be longer than 1000 characters including code. While frustrating, I finally managed to get that worked out to where my sig was only 998 characters long including code, and it still gives me the same darn error. Help please?

While I'm doing this, I also seem to be having a problem uploading JPEGS and can't see my avatar. I can see my avatar on other computers, so I'm pretty sure it's on my end, I just have no idea what to look at to fix it. Any ideas would be most helpful, thanks.

Atzar
05-15-07, 01:36 AM
Check the end of every line in your sig. If there are blank spaces after the characters, delete them. These blank spaces count as characters, even though they don't make a difference in the appearance of your signature. It's possible that this would be your difference right now.

Other than that... I don't really know.

Jasmine
05-15-07, 01:50 AM
The letter counter i used to find out how long it was counted spaces too, (i added extra spaces in after one count to see if it did) which is part of why this totally confuses me.

Yamihara
05-15-07, 02:32 AM
Ehhh~???

I thought the signature limit was 500 words, not including code lines? Well~ That was what Murakama was having trouble with on her old siggy with the lyrics to "Why, or Why Not" but she managed...

I don't know what the problem is with your end... ^_^;

Cyrus the virus
05-15-07, 07:26 AM
If you can't upload pictures, maybe your attachment limit is at its maximum? Try deleting old attachments of yours to clear up some of your allowed space.

Serilliant
05-15-07, 11:16 AM
Character limit on signatures is 1000 characters including BBCode and 500 characters excluding BBCode. Frequently, though, there are 'hidden' characters that push you over the limit. If you'd like to PM me your signature, Jasmine, I can either figure out what's wrong, or override the settings and set it for you.

You're not at your attachment maximum, so it's likely not that. What is the exact error message your getting when trying to post an attachment? The most common mistake if dimensions and filesize are within constraints is that the file type won't match the extension. In other words, it could be a .jpg, but actually be encoded as a gif. Try opening it in an image editing program and resaving it making sure you use 'Save As'.

As for your avatar not showing up, it is an issue on your end. Perhaps you're having an issue with cookies or with your Internet cache. Try flushing both and restarting your browser and see if that fixes anything.

Jasmine
05-16-07, 12:59 AM
thanks for the quick responses!

what kind of hidden characters are there? the character counter i used counted spaces, returns, periods, EVERYTHING

as for the uploading, i got the piccie down to 18.something and was under the pixel dimension limits as well. the error simply says: "Error. There was an error uploading the image." and that's it.

Jasmine
05-20-07, 02:56 AM
double post...get over it...

all right, so i cleared my cookies and my cache and I still can't see my avatar on this computer. is there anything else you can think of that I can check?

also i can't seem upload any file whatsoever, the error says simply: "Unable to upload file"

Serilliant
05-20-07, 11:17 PM
Have you tried uploading something really simple, such as a text file? If so and that doesn't work, I'm really not sure what to tell you. I've never heard of anyone else experiencing this problem. I'll look into it more and see if I can come up with anything. In the meantime, see if you can upload files using another account on the same computer so that we can narrow down if its your computer or your account. With your permission, I'll also try logging in as you to see if I can recreate the problem.

As for your avatar, if you've properly cleared all cookies and cache items and still cannot see your avatar, I'm not sure what to say. Try the above suggestion again. Can you see it when logged in as one of your multies? Is it only the account Jasmine's avatar, or is it whatever account you're logged in as?

Jasmine
05-22-07, 12:03 AM
okay, so I checked out the other accts to see if I had any of the same problems. The results were that I can see the avatars of the other accounts just fine on the main page and in threads, but I can not see Jasmine's avatar no matter which multi I use. Jasmine's ava is the only that doesn't show up. Even on the Jas account, the other avatars still show on my comp. The only thing that was the same was that I can't upload any files at all. The error reads: Upload of file failed.

And yes, you can try logging in on Jasmine and see if you get any of the same problems.