PDA

View Full Version : Nerds Rejoice!/Starcraft 2 thread

Lucien
05-19-07, 08:08 AM
For God has given us all a gift this day.

Viola! (http://www.starcraft2.com/)

If there's one game I'm excited about, one game that through the ages has been only a whispered rumor on the lips of the faithful; this is that game.

Starcraft 2 is the coming of a new age my friends, and I may just now believe in a higher power with its arrival.

Hail Blizzard.

Reiko
05-19-07, 08:38 AM
I'm quite happy.

I won't have to boycott Blizzard. All this talk about doing nothing but MMOs because fees are more profitable was making me hate them more than EA. Now I don't have to be bitter, even if my PC can't run it.

Farmboy
05-19-07, 08:59 AM
Oh wow, I think I just wet myself. XD

Corvus MacCallum
05-19-07, 10:28 AM
Looks nice but at the moment seems a case of new shoes but same dance moves,which is no bad thing the games were good... hopefully the scales been upped a good deal on how many units you could auto-select.

Skylar
05-19-07, 11:06 AM
I'm not a big fan of strategy games like this and Command and Conquer, but I would definitely give it a try. I know many a friend who is going to be happy about this trailer. I heard that they weren't going to continue with the Starcraft series....obviously i was wrong....

Letho
05-19-07, 12:22 PM
I am of the same opinion as Skylar. Starcraft was a nice game that RTS fans found great. Since I'm not a RTS fan, I never quite understood all the hype about it, so I'm not too hyped about the sequel either. I'll probably try it eventually. Hopefully, Blizzard won't fuck it up the way they did with Starcraft: Ghost.

Osato
05-19-07, 04:16 PM
OMG! FUCK YEAH! I love starcraft... I will take your pathetic human strongholds with my zerg!

Ashiakin
05-19-07, 04:47 PM
I don't know. After reading about it and looking at the screenshots, it just seems like a prettier version of StarCraft. I loved StarCraft, but it would have to add a lot of new stuff into the mix for me to feel like buying it.

Elijah_Morendale
05-19-07, 09:58 PM
I was kind of rootin' for a Diablo 3 announcement... :'(

Mage Hunter
05-20-07, 12:02 AM
I have to say, with the two new units it seems like they're giving all races similar things to what occured in the original.

Protoss phase shifters are awsome, being able to act as back up pylons and when you've upgraded the gateway to a warp gate deploy forces right into the enemy base. Talk about disgusting right there. Nydus canal with a bit of back up redundancy which the protoss really needed. I mean who wouldn't attack pylons rather than defenses to stop the enemy.

Ürei
05-20-07, 01:14 AM
Lucien. When it comes out, will we be back to our old games of RP?

Starcraft is my root in RP, and seeing a sequel finally planned to come out is a very nerdy spirit-lifter for me. This is, for want of better words, totally freiken 1337-awesomeness.

Edit: About the rumors that existed that Blizzard had dropped the Starcraft line. It was because their failure with Starcraft: Ghost kind of made them think nobody was interested anymore. But I heard something along the lines of a couple of their writers pushing for another game to be made, and since this one was already on the back burner, and they were sitting on a cash-flow volcano from WoW, they decided to give it a try.

Thank god for nerdy writers.

Letho
05-20-07, 07:15 AM
I was kind of rootin' for a Diablo 3 announcement... :'(Hear, hear! Diablo > Pretty much every other Blizzard game. :cool:

AdventWings
05-20-07, 09:15 PM
And not just any Diablo game, either. Diablo II and Lord of Destruction Combo FTW!

Starcraft 2?! Hontou ni Sugoi da yo!

Although... I hope it's got an engaging storyline to actually grip my attention and some form of story behind it. The worst fate of any RTS is a battle without a story.

Lucien
05-20-07, 09:22 PM
The original Starcraft and the subsequent expansion had one of the best stories I've ever watched/played/or read. It was a piece of art. I've been waiting years to finally figure out what the fuck is going to happen. The Xele'naga(sp?) Darren? What of the Queen of Blades and her hard fought empire? I'm so fucking eager I could butcher people in anticipation.

I'm going to be getting this, no matter the mechanics. I really don't care, I just want to finally find out what happens to the remnants of Auir, Char and the Confederation/UED.

Yes Urei, I may well try my hand at RPing on Battle.net, depending on what map makers come out and if Starcraft is going to have as wide a variety of options for Roleplay maps as Warcraft 3 did.

EDIT: Also...

Fuck Diablo. Seriously. You want to aruge with me? Ten bucks says you like the game because of how depressing and utterly dreary it is. Hell, that's why I liked it. But the fact of the matter is RPGs have such little Replay value after a while, especially a game like Diablo 2 and the Lord of Destruction.

My sword wielding Necromancer for the win!

Letho
05-20-07, 10:21 PM
Fuck Diablo. Seriously. You want to aruge with me? Ten bucks says you like the game because of how depressing and utterly dreary it is. Hell, that's why I liked it. But the fact of the matter is RPGs have such little Replay value after a while, especially a game like Diablo 2 and the Lord of Destruction.So, here's where you can send those ten bucks...

The atmosphere of Diablo is but one reason why I liked it. More importantly, it had a story that was engaging enough to make you keep going, the gameplay was simple and addictive and above all, Diablo 1 was THE game that got me into RPing in general. It was pretty much my first contact with RPGs. Starcraft was just another RTS with a good story and no naval units. Which blows hard because I love naval units in strategy games.

If you think that RPGs have little replay value, you have been playing wrong RPGs. Good RPGs are one of the few games that actually have loads or replay value. Granted, Diablo is action, hack-and-slash type or RPG, and replay value there was mostly about trying different characters/items. But then again, the replay value of a RTS game comes down to pretty much playing endless multiplayer games on same old maps over and over and over again because most of the the time the single-player campaigns are too short. Until the addon comes out, of course. Then you get to pay more money for the same shit you could've made in a level editor. :P

Göth
05-20-07, 10:36 PM
Actually, replay value on Starcraft and Warcraft isn't due to their RTS system, its due to their massively awesome map-editor and scenario-creation system. New maps, new games, and entirely non-RTS games. there were RPGs built by SC and WC3 people, amazing ones that were often better then normal RPGs. The possibilities were nearly and truly endless. Limited by only imagination.

Maia
05-20-07, 10:40 PM
I'm looking forward to this to say the least. If anything then to see what happens to the Bitch-Queen of the Universe. I loved Starcraft the most out of any Blizzard game. Though best RPG goes to Fallout or Balder's Gate 2 depending on what day it is.

Still, Starcraft 2 is needed. Been so long it's just deserved for the series and loyal fans.

Seether
05-21-07, 01:15 AM
Wewt!

Map making is hard...tried it once, and almost got it to work. Then the bugs started mounting and it fell apart...

I honestly wasn't expecting Blizzard to make a Starcraft 2. Wanted it, wished for it, dreamed for it, but never really expected it. In all honesty, I thought their next game would be Diablo 3, the MMORPG. Mainly because it's already half-way there and, I think this, would be so much better than WoW. Starcraft 2 came as a very pleasant surprise.

Now, as for the changes...

*drools*

'Nough said. I like the new marine...if you look closely at the screen shots, you'll see that they hold shields. Who'da thunk that when dealing with a Hydra, shields would come in handy? lolz

Mage Hunter
05-21-07, 01:19 AM
The original Starcraft and the subsequent expansion had one of the best stories I've ever watched/played/or read. It was a piece of art. I've been waiting years to finally figure out what the fuck is going to happen. The Xele'naga(sp?) Darren? What of the Queen of Blades and her hard fought empire? I'm so fucking eager I could butcher people in anticipation.

His name was Duran and I can't wait to see if the Xel Naga are waiting in the wings to be a playable race. They've already shown they can balance four races once, twice shouldn't be much harder.

I'm going to be getting this, no matter the mechanics. I really don't care, I just want to finally find out what happens to the remnants of Auir, Char and the Confederation/UED.

Yes Urei, I may well try my hand at RPing on Battle.net, depending on what map makers come out and if Starcraft is going to have as wide a variety of options for Roleplay maps as Warcraft 3 did.

EDIT: Also...

Fuck Diablo. Seriously. You want to aruge with me? Ten bucks says you like the game because of how depressing and utterly dreary it is. Hell, that's why I liked it. But the fact of the matter is RPGs have such little Replay value after a while, especially a game like Diablo 2 and the Lord of Destruction.

My sword wielding Necromancer for the win!

Ehh it wasn't that it had no replay value. The Ladder characters gave it a bit of new life, however, the problem then became that their new content, wasn't that new. Blizzard pulled support in favor of Wow.

Seether
05-21-07, 01:57 AM
His name was Duran and I can't wait to see if the Xel Naga are waiting in the wings to be a playable race. They've already shown they can balance four races once, twice shouldn't be much harder.

I'm not so sure about that...My understanding of the Xel'Naga was that they were ultimately destroyed by the Zerg when it was in its infancy. I haven't seen any mention of it in any of the story lines, or books and I haven't heard any rumors or seen anything official. Not that they would announce anything like that officially...

...but I think the Xel'Naga are pretty much ka-put. I could be wrong...who knows?

Mage Hunter
05-21-07, 05:07 AM
The only real clue as to what Duran had under plan was in the secret mission you got by beating the one involving the matriarch in under the time limit. During it you find out the Xel'Naga divided into their component parts, the Protoss and the Zerg. Duran was working to reunite and reawaken his long dead race.

Lucien
05-21-07, 06:18 AM
1 was THE game that got me into RPing in general. It was pretty much my first contact with RPGs. Sweet. Now I just need to go back in time to keep you from playing it and maybe your future self could become a successful businessman.

Urei's right again. The map editor is Starcraft and Warcraft were amazing. I would even play normal games anymore. I'd play games of Risk with Zealots, or diplomacy with Wraiths, or even RPGs with Karrigan. I loved the map editor.

And the Xel Naga were eluded to in Brood War so many times. It was the least subtle cryptic messages ever.

Elrundir
05-24-07, 11:02 PM
Mm, more Kerrigan. <3

I can't wait to see what she's been up to. I just hope she doesn't die in the end. If she does... well, I'll use the campaign editor to recreate the entire campaign such that she kills off everyone. >_> Even in the Terran and Protoss campaigns! Hey, it would be a nice change of pace. I mean, the player character almost always wins in the end of video games. >_>

Of course, I'm absolutely terrible at RTS games... worst ever. A lightly-trained monkey would be more talented at micromanagement than I am. I'll never play online because of that. At least I can handle campaigns well enough. But I'll still be getting SC2, for the same reason I got SC1: the story mode. Hot damn, that's some good writing.

The map editor is loads of fun too. I made a campaign of my own back in the days of SC/Brood War. I was younger then, so I'd probably laugh at it now if I still had the files, but it was a lot of fun to do. ^^

Lucien
05-25-07, 09:10 PM
Best Strip Ever (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/05/23) from Penny Arcade.

Rath
05-26-07, 12:46 AM
I have been waiting for the next Blizzard RTS since Warcraft III came out, in 2002. I liked Starcraft, but I never actually got into it since it came out in what, 1996? *goes to check* nope, 1998, but still, I was like nine fucking years old then. Now that I'm 17 and I actually know how to fucking play a game, I'm sure I'm gonna buy Starcraft 2, make love to it, then play the game for hours on end, clawing and squirting terran and protoss into the ground.

Reminds me. Colin P, you owe me a Starcraft match.

AdventWings
05-28-07, 03:45 AM
You've said that once too many times, Lucien.

Still, hilarious.

Lucien
05-28-07, 08:29 AM
And yet it never loses meaning.