PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprised this hasn't come up before... (Wikipedia)

Rath
05-21-07, 07:37 PM
Hasn't anyone ever noticed that there isn't a page on Wikipedia about Althanas?

I say we should change this! There are millions of users of Wikipedia every day, and we'd bring in more foot traffic by "advertising" on Wikipedia.

yes, I know I haven't been on in forever, but I blame Junior year. it sucks.

AdventWings
05-21-07, 08:40 PM
And, surprisingly, no one's mentioned before that the Wikipedia plan didn't go quite as planned.

There have been talks, but the discussion was inconclusive. Now that you've revived the topic, it sounds like a good idea. Still, it's a bit of an upkeep but there's room for discussion here. :)

Skie and Avery
05-21-07, 08:48 PM
I remember us having a wiki page for a bit, but something went wrong and we got shut down. I blame the Man, and Alleria.

Serilliant
05-21-07, 11:14 PM
We have a not-so-happy history with Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Votes_for_deletion/Althanas

AdventWings
05-22-07, 12:07 AM
...Oh, right. That one.

I forgot about that... :(

And I'm surprised Alleria is still on that thing... :(

Rath
05-22-07, 08:06 PM
Ah, that would explain it.

Damn you Wikipedia! =P

hamnat
05-22-07, 08:34 PM
Seeing how this is site is entirely a forum, it makes it rather difficult to find a real reason for a wiki-article other than for advertisement purposes...which they don't do...so, I'm pretty sure a wiki-article is out of the question, and I have thought about bringing it myself, from time to time.

streak101
05-23-07, 05:40 PM
It'd be funny finding a loop hole wouldn't it though?

googlyeyesultra
05-24-07, 10:28 AM
The only loophole I could think of would be to get this website written about in some notable newspaper or somesuch. With all of the writers here, ye'd think we'd have to have a journalist willing to risk getting him/herself fired by writing an article about Althanas, wouldn't ya? Lolz.

Karuka
05-24-07, 11:46 AM
It could be called a "hidden gem of the internet."

Sighter Tnailog
05-25-07, 03:35 AM
Some things to remember:

"Wikipedia articles should not exist only to describe the nature, appearance or services a website offers, but should describe the site in an encyclopedic manner, offering detail on a website's achievements, impact or historical significance, which can be significantly more up-to-date than most reference sources since we can incorporate new developments and facts as they are made known."

Second, the article should be very carefully vetted before it's put up. Otherwise, it won't be allowed.

Third, those interested in this matter should go ahead and get Wikipedia accounts now and become contributors. It will help to have folks around with Wikipedia experience who can vote and participate in the discussion on the deletion or nondeletion of the article.

And fourth, it would help to have some verifiable published sources to link to to provide an assessment of Althanas's relevance. Don't know what we could do about this short of opening a press office.

Ataraxis
05-25-07, 08:40 AM
That'd probably change if over three Althanians published a bestseller.

Even better if the bestsellers had references to Althanas!

Who's up for the task? :D

googlyeyesultra
05-25-07, 07:50 PM
Heh. I've got a Wiki account, although I don't really use it. And we can always go find Jesse (that's her name, right?) to go write the bestsellers.

grim137
05-25-07, 10:29 PM
And we can always go find Jesse (that's her name, right?) to go write the bestsellers.

Yeah, Jess, Duro (Letho) or Shayam (INDK).

Erirag the Poet
05-25-07, 11:45 PM
*sneaks in to spellcheck the grimmy*

*Shyam.

googlyeyesultra
05-28-07, 11:38 AM
I hath set the trusty, rusty wheels of Wikipedia in motion! W00t!

Ok, so I just requested an article be made, siting that Alleria, Gaia Online, and New Worlds Foundation have articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Drawing_board
Ctrl-F Althanas. Probably near the bottom.

Haruzame
05-28-07, 08:28 PM
Ei, yeah! Write best-sellers and stuff is sure to get Althanas on the Internet Map! Maybe even the Literary Map!

*Hatches a plot to steal the New York Times Best-Seller spot in the near future*