PDA

View Full Version : The Contestants (Recruitment)

The Valkyrie
06-06-07, 09:43 PM
If you need a partner, this is the place to find one. Just post your need here, or look for an open slot here. If you have a certain champion or beast in mind that you wish to face don't forget to mention that too. Also, when you've found your partner and agreed on a champion, PM myself or Witchblade so that we can mark that Champion as currently in a battle until your fight is done. A PM isn't necessary if your team is fighting a beast.

Amaril Torrun
06-06-07, 10:41 PM
I'm interested in this, but I have a few questions.

What are our characters allowed to use during these battles? Can they use their special abilities and such, or are they restricted to only use the battle style signed up for?

The two partners are fighting together against a common opponent, but the thread will be judged like a normal battle?

Do you have to choose one of the battle styles when fighting one of the Fallien beasts, or can a character use everything at their disposal?

Are the unique item rewards created by the player once he/she exchanges the glass, or are they already made and waiting to be claimed?

Pending the results to those questions, does anyone want to be my partner?

Reiko
06-06-07, 11:00 PM
I'll be your partner, though I have the same questions.

I'm guessing that the chosen martial art is permanently gained from a completed thread, right?

The Archer
06-06-07, 11:07 PM
This character is already in Fallien, so I'd be interested in using him to team up with some one.

Ziggy
06-06-07, 11:56 PM
I am expressing interest in this

Amaril Torrun
06-07-07, 07:36 AM
I'd be happy to join you Reiko. Amaril's a bit confused about where he wants to be at this point in his life, so I could have him be convinced that the Prahna'dyuta is a good place to be.

But before we start and choose a martial art, I want to wait for some answers to my above stated questions. Sounds like fun though. :D

Witchblade
06-07-07, 08:05 AM
All right, I shall answer these questions as best I can!

When fighting the Fallien beasts you can use whatever is at your disposal. There are no rules when fighting the beasts other than the OOC rules of keeping to the beasts natural habitates when you're creating your thread. Also, you do not need to choose a battle style when fighting one of the beasts, you're using your own characters skills and abilities there.

The thread will be judged like a normal battle so that contestants will receive individual scores. There may be two winners in a thread, or there may only be one.

Even fighting the champions, you do not always have to pick their style of fighting. After all, they've been mastering this for years and you know nothing of how to fight like them. It would be wiser to use your characters own skills to counter your enemy's skills. However, there are some styles like Vita that will force the player to use it. By the way, you as the players are the ones left to decide what kind of rules you would like in your match. This is not The Citadel after all, if you die in these battles you're really dead. So if you do not want it to be a death match that should be one of the rules.

I believe Val and I were working on a general item listing for players to choose from, however it is not ready or finalized yet.

The Valkyrie
06-07-07, 08:24 AM
I just want to clarify something. The only style that you do NOT have to adhere to the same rules as the champion in is the Varmakkalai. The rest of them require you to employ the same technique as the champion (this is stated in the description thread known as The Competition).

As far as the items to be earned, what I will do is make a note beside each item in the Merchant's Walkway exactly how many strands each weapon must be acheived with.

As far as the judging, basically you get judged using the normal writing rubric, and then your scores must be over a 65. If, say, one player only receives a 59 from the judge, while the other receives a 66, then it would be said that IC the lower scored player was found to have performed poorly or not to have put forth enough effort to be considered a winner. The judges may CHOOSE in this case to award strands anyways, but that is up to their discretion.

EDIT: And if you BEAT a specific champion then you gain their ability IF the judges award it as a spoil with your strands. Except, again, in the case of Varmakkalai, which if you win you have the choice to become an apprentice in that art. The skill you gain will not, of course, be at the same level as the champion (since there were two of you against the one) but at the lowest level possible in that skill.

Amaril Torrun
06-07-07, 08:57 AM
Reiko, would you want to fight in a Muki match against Ai’iru & Davi Orscha?

Reiko
06-07-07, 09:19 AM
hmm Muki look a little weird and it's a style Ki probably would never use outside the arena. I was hoping for a more soft form like Bandesh or Varmmakai, though Varmmakai looks much harder to learn. I also like the description of the Bandesh champ, he looks like a fun character.

Artifex Felicis
06-07-07, 09:39 AM
I didn't notice that thing about how Varamakkali was the only one you didn't need to keep the the same style. Ah well.

Still, I am interested in this, though not quite yet. More so I'm throwing my hat in if someone wants a partner, Leon's availible.

Amaril Torrun
06-07-07, 09:47 AM
Well, I guess I could do anything, its just Muki seems more likely for Amaril to participate in.

Reiko
06-07-07, 09:55 AM
no worries, there's probably someone else who'll take that style.

Sorry I just don't think Ki would work well with a hard form since her swords fill the role too well.

Ziggy
06-07-07, 10:15 AM
Pankration is definately my cup of tea. thats like, already Ziggy's style.

So who wants to be paired up with this kid?

Ataraxis
06-07-07, 10:36 AM
Varmakkalai sounds interesting, but I'd like to know if the things they learn can be applied to non-humanoid opponents. I'm guessing no, though. If yes, however, I'd really like to take on that Kasta girl. XD

Though Bandesh and Fari Gadka sound interesting too.

The Valkyrie
06-07-07, 10:39 AM
Varmakkalai could, at higher levels (not novice in other words), be used against non-humanoid opponents. If a creature has soft tissue and a nervous system, then pressure points would definitely be a weapon to use on them. So, if you beat this champion, became apprenticed, and advanced within this technique, you could definitely learn to use it against other creatures. Just be reasonable with it if you do.

Ataraxis
06-07-07, 03:01 PM
Ob the subject of Varmakkalai: do we need to NPC Kasta using some real-world martial art that uses pressure points? Like Dim Mak? Or are we allowed to have her strike points that aren't actually known to do a certain effect, but somehow paralyzes the person/blocks the flow of energy in their body?

The Archer
06-07-07, 03:37 PM
Hey, Zigster, you and me, man, let's do this.

The Valkyrie
06-07-07, 03:37 PM
Actually Varmakkalai is a real martial art practiced in India :D but you can do it however works most easily for you- I'm not too worried about the particulars.

Ataraxis
06-07-07, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the details, Val!

Bleh, I can't believe I didn't think of checking that out beforehand! Same thing goes for Pankration, Fari Gadka, Bandesh... Heck, all of them are real, most coming from the martial traditions of Bharathavarsha. This is going to be really helpful, and I'll probably go to sleep a little smarter tonight. Maybe.

So, did anyone want a partner for Varmakkalai? Lillian's up for it.

The Valkyrie
06-07-07, 04:44 PM
I wanted to keep to real fighting styles, simply because that DOES make it easier for you as writers to be able to fight in those styles somewhat accurately (or at least to sound more convincing lol). I'm glad you find it all interesting!

Patois
06-07-07, 05:17 PM
I would seriously be interested in a Fari Gadka match, presuming I could find a partner. I've been running dry a bit late, and I think this could be just the kind of thing I need to get something very good running. ;)

Slayer of the Rot
06-07-07, 07:37 PM
I'm looking for a partner. You're probably not going to be eaten, but you must be willing to risk the chance, of course. I'm interested in Vajramushti, Muki, Fari Gadka and perhaps later, Vita.

Rigor Mortis
06-07-07, 08:33 PM
Slayer, I'd be willing to compete with you. I'm really interested in Muki as well, if you want to do that. If not, then I'm also interested in Vajramushti.

Burly Knuckles
06-23-07, 04:05 PM
Well, I think it's a given, but if anyone wants a Vajramushti partner... since that's what Paj already does... :p

The Archer
06-23-07, 04:12 PM
I'll run with ya, dude.

Burly Knuckles
06-23-07, 04:27 PM
I'll run with ya, dude.

Good. let's see if we can give Idnystar Cimenalthos a little spankin'.
;)