PDA

View Full Version : Our Eyes Shall Open

Alexa
06-10-07, 12:10 AM
{Closed to SighterTnailog}

[Residence of the Anbrienth Family - Eluriand - CP 1803]

It was a beautiful morning out when I awoke, I could feel a light breeze across my cheek as I lay there. Though I could no longer see the light of the sun or the absence of it, but instead a blue and white haze, I knew it was morning by the birds that sung outside my window. Their chirps and croos flew fluidly through my ears, allowing me to relax once again and close my eyes while I sat and thought. I thought about days long past, days where I could see and my flesh wasn't horribly scarred as it is this day. I thought of my contempt for the now disappeared Xem'zûnd and my appreciation toward Devon dan Sabriel for saving me from my horrid fate. It hadn't been so bad though, I was unconcious for most of what Xem'zûnd's master had done to me in the cursed tower. What was truly terrible was the effects that it had on me, I had lost my vision for some time until approached by a scholar of great esteem.

He claimed that he could fix my problem, I had hoped so badly to see again, to be the eccentric Elven girl I had once been. What the end product was though, was not how things had been. They told me that what I could see now was the cold in the environment and anything that was not a shade of blue but rather white, was something that was hot. Among these things included people, animals, and insects. I can see in great detail however, the only thing truly absent is color. The real mystery behind my blessed curse however is the fact that I am still able to read. I could see script and penmanship in the finest detail, this is an anomoly and subject to research amongst the best of Raiaeran scholars.

Presently, my father knocked on the door and startled me a bit. As he opened to door I sat up in my bed and made sure I was covered with the sheets. He looked distressed at the scars on my eyes, I could tell he was looking at them because of his hesitation to speak. He hadn't done that before I was afflicted.

"Father, do not look at me with such sorrow," I said, "I can tell by your hesitation that it pains you to look at my face." I knew this to be true, he longed for his beautiful Elven daughter back, I was more an object to my family than anything. I had always known that, but I accepted it.

"Alexiadra, you know that I do not think such things," my father replied. He walked to the side of my bed and rest his hand lightly on my forearm. "I was just surprised by it, I've spent the last century looking into a different set of eyes." He looked me in the eyes, I could see from the way his head was cocked, that white silhouette that was my father. He exited the room saying only one last thing, "Dear, your breakfast is waiting downstairs, I have word from Devon as well, he sent a letter."

I was shocked.

I couldn't believe that the legendary man who had saved countless lives would single me out and send me a letter. Although he had saved me from the grip of death, he had done so with many others. I got dressed as quickly as I could and rushed downstairs to the dining room where my family was seated, including some of my more distant relatives. In my spot sat a small envelope with the seal of Raiaera on it, signed by Devon. I composed myself, not looking any different, at least I thought so, than I ever had. The stares were coming in my direction though, I could feel it, just the energy that is asserted from awe or suspicion. Surely my family had heard of the accident but I didn't think that they would be so rude as to stare. I just sat down, not acknowledging anyone in particular, I just looked around the table and shifted my gaze to the letter.

Taking it up in my hand, I lightly ran my fingers over the signature of Devon's, a tear barely escaping my eye. It fell lightly on the table, I hated thinking about what would have happened to me if he had not come. I was interrupted in my sorrow.

"Do you need someone to read--" My uncle asked, but I cut him off.

"No!" I said coldly and quickly. I turned the envelope over and quickly opened it, revealing to myself the piece of parchment that was inside of it. I remember the letter clearly.

From the letter to Alexiadra--

Alexiadra Anbrienth,

May I extend to you my feelings of sympathy, your affliction seems to pain you. The loss of sight and the difference you have now must be devasting, I can not imagine. However, I do have news that you may be interested in. Perhaps you have heard of the man Findelfin ap Fingolfin who led the defense of Raiaera.

I must be brief as I have little time, but I thought there a chance that you may like to meet him. The address of his estate is known by many but few venture there, although he is most welcoming to friends of mine, you are one such friend.

May the pantheon grant you guidance,

Devon dan Sabriel

I was absolutely shocked.

[Western Gate - Eluriand - CP 1803 - Three Days Later]

The three days since I first read the letter had been preparing for my trek to Valinatal. I had been advised against it but I would not miss the chance to meet a man of legend and hopefully I could see Devon again in the process. I had never thanked him in full and I felt empty at times for it, but that was not the situation at hand. I had to convince this caravan to take me along and that I could be useful. After about twenty minutes of haggling I finally convinced them to take me along. All I had to do was take a shift carrying a backpack along the way...

[Town Square - Valinatal - CP 1803 - Two Weeks Later]

The trip the Valinatal wasn't bad, we had plenty of rest, no problems, and the carrying of the packs wasn't too bad. Though my legs ached more than usual it wasn't an ache I couldn't bare. We had arrived just in time for an ample amount of sleep. I was allowed to stay in the same inn with the caravan because I had arrived with them, and for free, which was much appreciated. The inn was a nice little place and I got my own room. When I went in there I immediately went to open the two windows that I had, I wanted a breeze instead of the stuffy conditions that would surely develop by morning. I took my clothes off and got into the bed.

I decided that night that I would seek out Findelfin's estate the next day and with that, I slept.

Sighter Tnailog
06-17-07, 05:25 PM
Meanwhile, North of Valinatal

Findelfin was in a hurry. Writing in short, precise strokes, he signed his name, folded the parchment in three places, then affixed his seal onto the overlap using wax from a nearby candle. Looking up from his makeshift desk, he called outside. "Lieutenant, come get this letter for me."

Immediately, a hand pulled back the burlap fabric on his tent. The flap withdrawn, a young elf entered, stooped, her feet crushing the soft grass underfoot. Raising herself to full height, the roof of the tent just barely cleared her head. She saluted Findelfin smartly and said, "Your order, General Fingolfin?" It was a strange thing to hear from another's lips...General Fingolfin. His promotion had been sudden, even if not entirely unexpected.

"Have this desk and my other camp furnishings taken back to military acquisition, with instructions that it be available to Captain Tirionë upon his arrival. Leave the tent standing, it won't damage from exposure the way the furniture might."

Handing the elf the letter, Findelfin continued, "After informing the acquisition office of that matter, please see that this letter is placed in the hands of a trusted scout and delivered quickly to the High Bard Council. And I will be leaving tonight, just so you know, I have duties elsewhere I must attend to." He had been working on the letter all day.

The elven lieutenant inclined her head and then stepped out as quickly as she came, a terse "Immediately, General," as the only words that came from her lips.

Stepping out of the tent himself, he could see in the dying light the last signs of the day's activity. Elven conductors were still leading a few small choirs in last-minute practice sessions, there were smatterings of friendly training bouts going on in the Bladesingers' area of the camp, and in the Tel Aglarim sections it seemed that the first campfires were finally being lit. Music, played on a variety of mandolins and lutes, was already starting to come from those fires; indeed, did Findelfin not know better, he would have assumed it was merely a large merchant caravan. A very large merchant caravan.

But if the rumors were true, soon these things would change. The camp would have to adapt to a new environment. Findelfin had set watches all around the camp when he arrived, and instituted a fierce regimen of training. He had even begun forced marches in which the soldiers were expected to build a fully entrenched fortification using only local resources after a long day's march. It was all preparation. It was assumed that Findelfin was there to drill and prepare a readiness report should Alerar attack. But the report Findelfin was writing was on a very different matter, indeed.

Untethering Pelektar from the tent posts, he tried his best to walk through camp and avoid seeing his lieutenants. For now, he wanted nothing more than a warm bed as far away from the wilderness as possible. As he reached the camp outskirts, he looked to the sentry, and said, "Have a nice night, soldier. Stay alert and stay watchful...if Captain Tirionë arrives, rouse Lieutenant Andrallia immediately to attend to his needs." The watchman stuttered, unused to responding to the General of Tel Aglarim, but nodded. He would do as he was told.

Spurring Pelektar forwards, he set off northwards, towards his villa and a blazing fire.

Alexa
06-22-07, 05:26 PM
['The Eye of the Storm' - Valinatal - CP 1803]

I had not awoken so suddenly in my entire life. A heavy hand almost knocked my door down with a loud thunk coming from it each time it was hit. I got up from my bed, looking around for my cloak to cover myself with, the travel worn material scraped against my bare body as I walked to the door, "Who is it?" I inquired, clasping the iron knob as I did so.

"Hiraet, the innkeeper." A rough and grizzly voice came from the other side of the door. As I remembered him from the night before, the man had long, ruffled hair and a temper unmatched by the foulest of his patrons. I opened the door to see the man I could so clearly recall, though not in color, a stained apron covering any apparel he may have had underneath. The odd thing was, I could tell he was a human. He didn't speak with the eloquence, even in his own language, that an Elf did.

"What can I do for you?" I said as the door finished its creaking sway.

"I need everyone out of these rooms now, we need to clean and get ready for a party that's going on. Gonna' be a big one." The man simply walked off, how rude of him to not even properly say farewell.

I quickly closed and locked the door to be sure that no one could surprise my while I changed, so I quickly took the cloak off, donning my normal clothes only to put the cloak back on over it all. I put up my hood as was the usual procedure, my kin hated impurities and my eyes were scarred, deadened. This kind of thing was usually shunned, so I kept it hidden as best I could. Today, my search for the villa of Findelfin ap Fingolfin would begin. I was still shocked by the fact the Devon, who saved me from that cursed spire, had remembered me. Though I hadn't heard news of him since, I was glad he was still alive, at least.

I strode out the door, leaving it open so the man would know I had left. The amulet that hung under my cloak comforted me in a way, knowing that the powers I could harness were a product of it. As I walked through the inn and to outside, I could see the day was beautiful. The sun, perfectly round, lounged in the air like a bird. There were light and fluffly clouds, it was nice to think about lounging on one of those, as well. However, I had business to attend to. Finding out the address of the elven general's estate was not difficult, a vendor on the street easily pointed me in the right direction. I walked northbound out of Valinatal, toward where the estate was supposed to be.

[Findelfin's Estate - North of Valinatal - CP 1803]

I approached Findelfin's estate, a huge place to be sure. It looked very inviting though I could see the ranger's in the nearby woods watching me along the trail. They had no idea I could see them, they would have been well hidden to the naked, color seeing eye. As I got closer to his grand home, I could feel my stomach in a knot. I was about to try and meet with the legendary Findelfin ap Fingolfin, the leader of the defense in my city.

I was interrupted in my thoughts by an elf who seemed like one of the rangers, "What's your business here?"

"I was told by Devon dan Sabriel to come here and meet the general."

"Liar!" The other rangers popped out of the woods to seize me.

"Wait," I said calmly, pulling out the letter I had received, "here's a letter from Devon, please, I need to speak with the general..."

They all looked at eachother a bit confused and led me to the villa...

Sighter Tnailog
08-21-07, 05:14 PM
It had been a long time since he had enjoyed the morning so much. He had been able to rise with the dawn to wake him instead of a voice at his tent flap or a knock at the door. He had seen the sunrise and meditated on bird calls, all before taking a leisurely breakfast. Simple comforts, true, but ones he seldom had in these hurried times. The elven general made sure he relished each one; who knew when he would see them again.

He'd even had time to perform the rituals. He sang the Hymn to the Morning, chanted the Rites of Aurient and the Gift of Young-Star. For some reason it seemed the correct thing to do so. It was a duty laid on each elf to remember the songs and sing them, each in their proper season at the proper time. While few kept these ancient ways, something about this day spoke to Findelfin. It was important that he honor the past even as the future loomed dark in his vision.

And now he was sitting at table, the remains of his breakfast before him. It was getting towards midday, and his leisure was coming towards an end. He had some messages to send before the end of the day. The time had come for him to set out again on a journey. Perhaps that was why he had observed the proper rituals during the morning. No journey ends well without the proper beginning.

As he was starting to rise, planning on fetching parchment and a quill and sending a few messages to his subordinates in Anebrelith, Forlion came through the door. A capable elf, Findelfin had noticed Forlion's ability in Tel Aglarim. When his term of service had ended, Findelfin hired him as villa guard captain. He now stood respectfully, without formal salute. Findelfin was glad of that. It showed that he had picked a strongwilled, no-nonsense elf for his guard. Forlion, at least, understood that he was no longer in the military, and therefore need observe no protocols except to respect and obey.

"Yes, Captain?" Findelfin's question seemed to violate the quiet room.

"Master, there is a young woman at the outer gate. She was found in the woods near here, and the guard was planning on bringing her to you. She requests an audience, and claims to have been sent by Devon dan Sabriel himself. She even has this letter..." He placed an open envelope on the table, one edge of the paper within extended.

Findelfin picked up the envelope, pulling the letter out of it. Scanning it quickly, his face darkened into a pensive expression. "Strange..." he said, more to himself than to anyone else. Looking up at Forlion, he said, "Captain, you say the guards were bringing her directly to me. Clearly, you stopped them from doing so. Do you think there is something to fear from this young woman?"

Forlion hesitated the barest second, as if unsure himself of the answer, and then said, "Master, the scouts report to me that she was well along the pathway to the villa before they saw her, but that she was not surprised when they revealed themselves to her. Now, I know every soul under my command, and I know that they have better eyes and quieter feet than many. To evade their eyes and know their locations bespeaks a certain--"

"--degree of training," Findelfin cut in. "Yes, Captain, you were right to do as you did. In these days, it is all too right to fear assassinations and dark deeds. But this letter," he slapped the envelope against the table, "this is assuredly the Starslayer's work. I have seen others from his hand, and this is authentic." He did not mention that he also recognized a phrase -- May the pantheon grant you guidance. Findelfin and Devon had worked out a series of ways to send one another messages during the previous Aleraran engagement. And that phrase was meant to signify that the bearer of a letter could be trusted. They had never needed to use the phrase before, but now that he saw it here there could be no doubt.

"Send her to me." The command was brief. "And please, spare her the cruelty of a search. If Devon trusts her, so shall I." The captain nodded. Findelfin could tell he had his doubts, but he would leave the captain to them. No need to reveal all his secrets.

He leaned back in his chair, quickly stowing the remains of his breakfast on a serving tray behind him. He was most interested to meet this girl. And to know what connection she had to Devon Starslayer.

Alexa
11-29-07, 08:21 PM
[Findelfin's Estate - North of Valinatal - CP 1803]

The villa seemed more inviting, yet daunting at the same time as I got closer. It was the haunting beauty that our race holds in ourselves and our art, be in our faces or architecture. Unlike most buildings, the home of the general did not stand awkwardly against the sky as did most buildings, even ones elven in creation did more so than the monstrous house that stood before me. An elf came and began to talk with some of the rangers who looked at me warily. We were getting closer and closer up the white, marble path that led to the general's majestic home.

As we came to the steps, I was amazed that I was not searched before being allowed to proceed through the doors. Inside was more amazing than the outside as the large, mahogany doors were pushed open. The inside was lavishly furnished but without seeming so until the room had been left. I was told to wait in the foyer, which was unbelievably larger than any foyer I had ever seen, until Findelfin was free to come and speak with me. There were very few actual guards around the house, I had noticed. None of them had a clue I could see them, almost right through the walls, but I could.

A few elves scurried about, carrying various refreshments, some of which were offered to me, as I sat on the firm, mostly unused couch. I politely accepted what I was offered and nibbled of the small wafers and sipped the drink. It was a sweet, fruity wine. The taste reminded me of sitting underneath the apple trees and learning to read as small girl. I was interrupted during this memory by a handsome elven man.

"Excuse me miss, I am Ilv Alavin, I own a pub in Valinatal. May I offer you some company?" The elf bowed in front of me. I kept my hood covering my grossly scarred face and simply nodded at him, waving for him to take a seat.

"I'm Alexiadra Anbrienth, please to meet you. Would you like some of these wafers?" I held one in my hand to him as he sat. He waved his hand and shook his head, he had probably already taken advantage of the general's hospitality.

"No, thank you though. May I ask why you wear your hood, I find it rather odd that in the general's house you would be so secretive." He leaned forward a bit, trying to get a glimpse of my seared face. I stopped him by covering it further. I had no desire for a scene to ensue because of me in Findelfin's own home, it would be embarrassing and nothing short of it.

"There's nothing beautiful under my hood to see, I can tell you. Let's say I have war injuries I don't like to display and leave it at that, shall we?" I twisted my head slightly, the blue glow of my scar must have caught his eye. He looked at me for a second and then stood up. He was obviously single and his advance was thwarted. Was I that repulsive to him?

"My apologies, miss, I had no idea that you were a soldier." With that, he walked off. My implication had been inappropriate, but I did not wish for my face to be revealed to people who had no knowledge of the arcane sight that I possessed unless I was forced to or felt the desire to, which was rare. Presently, a capable-looking elf came down and talked to me, almost in a whisper.

"The general will see you now." He muttered and held out his hand to help me off the sofa, I politely took it. He was cold to the touch. I could tell he was nervous by the clamminess of his hands. I was led up two flights of stairs and down a hallway, almost to the end and turned me toward a door. "Are you ready?" He inquired.

I had no other choice. I nodded and he opened the door.