PDA

View Full Version : Tech support, yes?

Empyrean
06-16-07, 12:06 AM
Sometimes I have moments where I live in a world of stupid.

One such moment occurred a week or so ago when I was trying to free up some space on my hard drive. I uninstalled Microsoft Office, thinking it would only delete the one program I never use.

Wrong. It also deleted Microsoft Word, where I write all my posts and have everything saved. I have Word Viewer, so I can still look at my stuff, but I can't edit or save it. I don't have a CD to reinstall Word, and I've tried looking for Word downloads, but all I can find are things to enhance the program, rather than the program itself. And now that I finally can and want to write, I can't because of my stupid...stupidness.

You lovely people know things about computers that I don't. Anyone know where I can find a good download, or how to fix this? Thanks.

Reiko
06-16-07, 12:24 AM
ouch

I think you'll have to download a free word processor like abiword and use that. I think it can handle word files. not as good as word but it's free.

other than that you could pay the insane price for office.

edit: Link to abiword (http://www.abisource.com/)

Empyrean
06-16-07, 12:37 AM
AWESOME. You're a lifesaver, and not the chewy kind. :D

It works wonderfully. Now I can write! Thank youu.

Reiko
06-16-07, 12:40 AM
glad it helped^^

AdventWings
06-16-07, 12:44 AM
I can get you a not-so-legal copy of Windows along with MS Word...

>.>

<.<

...But I don't know how to give you only Word without reinstalling Windows...

*Not a Computer Geek enough*

Letho
06-16-07, 03:25 AM
OR you can download OpenOffice at http://www.openoffice.org/ which is pretty much a copy of Microsoft Office, only free. It has pretty much all the stuff the original Office has, but perhaps not as refined. I tried installing it and using it, though, and it's not half bad. It's a pretty heavy download, though.

streak101
06-16-07, 03:57 AM
OR you can download OpenOffice at http://www.openoffice.org/ which is pretty much a copy of Microsoft Office, only free. It has pretty much all the stuff the original Office has, but perhaps not as refined. I tried installing it and using it, though, and it's not half bad. It's a pretty heavy download, though.

yeah heavy indeed, the thing slowed my pc down, and not once has that ever happened. It's pretty much the same thing as word only the buttons are in different places so it might take you awhile to get used to it.

Sid
06-16-07, 05:57 AM
If you have a recent system recovery date then you could do a system restore. I believe that is how it works, though it's meant for viruses and such and I haven't done so myself. A warning, check how recently the date is from as everything after that date will be erased.

If your computer came with operating system and software already installed on it, then you could likely do a full system wipe and recover from the partitioned hardrive, though you'd have to move everything you had saved to external storage or sacrifice it.

Other options, get a free word-esque program or get a pirated Microsoft package from peer-to-peer networks.

Before attempting to restore the program, should you choose that route, I would do some more research and make sure you know what material will be lost. If you don't back up your system regularly, alternate programs would likely be the better choice, not to mention less complicated.

Empyrean
06-16-07, 09:51 PM
Haha, thanks Raven dear, but I'm just fine. :)

This AbiWord actually works quite well, so I think I'm good for now. Thank you everybody.

Rigor Mortis
06-16-07, 10:25 PM
I actually did the same exact thing, although I probably don't need word as much as empyrean does.

Thanks for the link!