PDA

View Full Version : The Baroness's Mines (closed)

Fia
06-19-07, 01:07 AM
Dawn came gently, slipping through the adventurers' windows like a golden clad lover. She kissed their eyelids with light, and would not let them sleep another moment.

A warm breakfast was brought to their rooms on silver platters with instructions to meet the Baroness at the mine. It was a locale hard to miss. From the manor's main doors, the new snow was dinted by footprints in only one direction.

When the delicate trail led beyond the last hunching drift, the Baroness could be spotted, a black pillar against the pale ground.
A slim coat of black, trimmed in equally dark fur hung snugly around her. Her milky profile and wisps of corn silk colored hair peeked from a fur-lined hood, as she stared at the distant and dark wood.

In the light of day, her eyes were an unearthly blue. The manor's light did them little justice. Amidst the ice and cold they burned and sparked with gem fire.

"I am glad to see you all," she said to the approaching figures.
"I had come to open the mine for you."
Her sable gloved hand lifted from within her dress a mithril key on a chain.
"But it seems my stepdaughter has begun without me. She informed me that she wanted a little practice before beginning something dire."
The Baroness turned her head down the small slope of the drift, where the peasant girl crouched before a fierce silver door. It was wrought of a hundred twining branches, each silver bough twisted about several others, barring all passage.

Fia's head was uncovered and from above she seemed a wildflower bobbing in the snow. She hummed and sang to herself the idle ballad of a shepherdess as she ran her fingers over the blinding metal leaves.

"Oh the snow falls on my heavy locks,
And the dew soaks my skin,
My babe lies cold in my arms,
But none will let me in."

As her hands fluttered over the branches, it sounded like a sword being unsheathed, as the tangle began to undo itself. Satisfied with her progress, Fia turned around to face the others.
She smiled and waved, even as a great mawing hole was being revealed by the parting boughs behind her.

"Good morrow Leon, Arei and Skylar! Seems a lovely day to begin something, don't you think?"

Fia seemed delighted to have remembered all their names, while the Baroness was inwardly disgusted by the girl's clumsy greeting.

"Quaint, is she not?" the Baroness observed with a faint smile.