PDA

View Full Version : New in Town

Kirby
06-20-07, 07:23 PM
"Your drink, sir."

Titus Malthair looked up with a start as the heavy-set scullery maid set a glass of mulled wine down on the table in front of him, with a great deal more firm force than ought to be visited on a fluted glass vessel with a tapered handhold. He ought to know, after all; it was his job to know things of that sort.

To the sandy-haired young man's credit, he observed a tiny crack appear in the base of the glass. What a shame, he thought to himself. He waited until the rose-colored liquid in the glass had settled down fully before he raised his ocean-blue gaze up into the face of his server.

He quickly lowered his gaze again- as politely as he could manage- when he decided that he just couldn't bear to directly view such a collection of pockmarks, warts and varicose veins. Instead, he tilted his head slightly to the side and elected to engage this woman via peripheral vision.

"Something amiss, sir?" The server glared down at him, as if challenging him to answer with anything more than a simple "yes."

Titus carefully prodded the glass. "This is..." He frowned slightly. "What is it being called, again?"

The server woman folded arms the size of cured hams across her massive chest, obscuring the patch on her breast which read Gladys. "Wine, sir," she answered testily.

"Wine," repeated the young man, relishing the unfamiliar word. He peered at the sloshing liquid within. "And it is being grape juice, you say?"

"Aye, 't'were grape juice," replied Gladys with a sarcastic undertone, sighing and looking off over the barroom. "About a year ago, anyways."

"Placed in barrels for years," murmured Titus aloud, shaking his head. "Aged, fermented... and behold, it brings merriment and joy!"

"Depends how much you have," muttered the ragged and repulsive Gladys. "Listen, are you going to drink it or no? I've got other customers."

Titus grinned and bowed his head to the voluminous serving woman. "I shall enjoy ever single drop, Gladys. My thanks, and may blessings be upon your House." He returned his attention to the wineglass as Gladys took her well-deserved respite from the young man, muttering something rather nasty about foreigners as she walked off to the kitchen. She was quite glad to get away from Titus, especially since this brief exchange just now followed an exchange nearly ten minutes in length, during which the strange foreigner had questioned Gladys at length about the process of grape-growing, harvesting, the fermentation process, bottling, labeling, shipping, selling, wine selection, and table presentation.

All in all, it had been a rather exhausting affair, one hardly worth the three copper pieces the glass of wine had actually cost. The boy was either deathly inquisitive or very frugal with his money.

Meanwhile, the young man set down a rather weighty leather book he'd been reading and put it aside, taking the wineglass in hand. He swirled it a bit in hand... and then, a little more apprehensively, he raised the cup to his nose and sniffed it appraisingly.

Interesting, he thought to himself, musingly. How was something of this sort discovered? Did men of the south receive this knowledge from the gods? Was it gleaned from progenitors of the people who now live here? Or did a simple man merely let the juice of grapes keep beyond spoiling? Such a puzzling quandry. And stranger results, for lo! The fermentation of this fruit is not only potable, but potent such that these people drink it frequently!

Titus licked his lips, nodded firmly, and took a quick sip of the contents of his wineglass. He set it down almost immediately, his eyes turning heavenward...

The young man smirked. "Brilliant!" he said, quietly, to no-one in particular.

Daggertail
06-20-07, 10:18 PM
I'm not much of a drinker, but this one day I had gone to the tavern. So far it just wasn't my day since my latest attempt at adventure winded up me falling in the mud and getting lost and spending several coin to wash off and not really enjoying it. So with a fresh bath and once the clothes were dried from my washing them I left to the nearest tavern at a weird hour.

So there I was sitting at the table wondering what drink I should get but being rather afraid of waking up naked next to a stranger or worse waking up naked with a stranger leaving with my clothes. Perhaps I was paranoid but it kept me from drinking the stuff like water.

Still maybe something light to sit in the stomach for a little bit and help me think strait and plan for the next adventure. Something that would have people cheering my name and sitting on a pile of gold. Well maybe not but something that could have me happy for a few weeks would be nice.

While the Peaceful Promenade was one of the most famous spots in Althanas it had its down times and this was it where a lone waitress handled everyone. She was a veteran at serving drink but she was not young. I couldn't envy her since the life serving drinks was not easy and it had taken her toll only leaving her breasts as the sign of youth. Yeah it's strange to be a lady, even a demon girl and focus on breasts but really that's how much they stood out on this lady. Good thing I got out of the business, my chest would never get that big.

Now moving to the rest of the tavern, I noticed that it was mostly wood and not the iron of Haida taverns. I also missed the place where trouble makers were hung upside down for causing trouble. The most this place could do was throw a guy out. And speaking of people that the tavern would consider hangin' upside down was a loud man that the old waitress would occasionally shoot dirty looks for him being loud and very happy even though he had only sipped his wine. And he sipped it in a fashion that made it look like quite a good wine. He seemed to be in bliss over it as if he was with a beautiful lover.

"Umm, Hey miss? can you get me what you gave him?" I asked feeling that maybe such a lovely wine would pick up my mood.

"Alright!" the woman answered as she went into the back and came out with a wine glass and placed it before me. "Don't go on supporting him." She said unhappily and whispered. "Why do I get all the freaks?"

I ignored her as I sipped the wine hoping it was good enough to warrant my own euphoria and sadly as soon as it's bitter taste touched my tongue I knew I had vinegar. The earlier comment and the bad wine had me ready to hurl the glass into something but I restrained myself and went next to the eccentric fellow. He looked rather normal but didn't act it.

"Umm hello sir. I ordered the same wine as you... but it seems that there must be a mix up. Well I think they switched it on me and gave me some cooking vinegar instead." I smiled and wagged my tail, hoping he'd agree and praying he wouldn't have any indirect kiss nonsense in mind.

Kirby
06-20-07, 10:44 PM
The young man stared at the red-haired woman. He blinked a few times. He tried opening his mouth, but nothing came out. Then he frowned. He opened his mouth again, attempting to form words, but found none.

Cooking vinegar?

Titus reached for a heavy leather-bound book at his elbow and opened it quickly, paging to a spot marked by a green ribbon. He scanned it for a moment, flipping a few pages back and forth with his thumb and index finger. Smiling at the girl, he tapped a certain part of the book, as if he'd found what he'd been looking for, and nodded.

Maybe it's some kind of local turn of phrase.

"Hello," he said, his voice slightly shaky. "My name is being Titus Malthair. I am pleased to be making your ac... acquaintance." He sounded out the last part of this phrase with a voice tinged with uncertainty, then peered at the book very quickly once more.

"What is your name and where are you from, please?" With that, the young man looked up from the book with an expectant gaze, settled upon the red-haired girl.

Daggertail
06-20-07, 11:28 PM
Now he was an odd sort, I ask for a drink and he went strait to the book as if he needed reference to say the right words. That was odd enough for me to forget about the vinegar wine and look at the book as my tail twisted around the chair leg. "Hey is that one of those books that give advice to seducing women?" I asked with a giggle. "I'm glad you think I'm worth the effort."

I heard a groan as I looked to see the bar maid shake her head, not to happy that we were talking even though getting along would be tough. "Oh, my name?" I said absentmindedly. "I'm Tyria of Haida, treasure hunter and one of the best." I was bragging a little but but hey it seemed all in good fun and this strange man had some innocent charm.

I stretched a little and figured that talking to him was going to be the medicine I needed. He was the kind of strange person that would be annoyed but there was an eagerness that made me forget about the failure earlier today, not like it was anything big but just some new company that kept things in focus. "You don't seem to be the usual type that hangs around here. Only needing one drink to be happy. oh before I forget again can I taste yours, I think they gave me vinegar for being a demon." I stretched a little, wanting to have some evidence though not sure what I could do, not like proving they gave me bad drink would get me good kind, perhaps if I complained to the chef or something.

Ranger
06-21-07, 12:14 AM
Ranger sat stolidly at the bar, quiet and somewhat aloof. The Peaceful Promenade was a recluse place, a quiet tavern set in the middle of the little known town of Underwood. However, since the drow prophet had last set foot in the little town much trouble had brewed. A local temple to one of the Thayne had been destroyed, set ablaze. The small tavern had quickly grown in popularity, but the town was mixed in with the civil war that tore through the ravaged Coronian countryside. It was an arbitrary war funded by the rich aristocrats, fueled by political assassinations, and further spurred by the fear of the people.

In the time of strife, it was always best to stay away from the conflict. The prophet was a survivor, one who had gone through and seen quite a bit. What few conflicts he had involved himself in were sure wins, things that could not be swayed against him. Only one fight had he ever been unsure of himself, but it was the war with the Bazaar. He had held confidence in the Gol’Bron back then, and had his pride and resolution had pulled himself and his side through victorious.

These times, however, were different. Sides were muddled by the spin of the political tongue; a silver tongue was far more powerful and dangerous than any double sided sword or legions of soldiers. Ranger knew first hand that the most danger he faced was not the edge of a bladed weapon, but the thoughts of the masses. “Pathetic humans,” he thought, for the first time in a long time. “There lives are so short, so fickle… yet they war over the most inane nonsense.”

The drow rocked on his bench, moving it slightly away from the bar. He placed both of his worn, calloused hands on the equally worn. The tavern-keeper, a large female for a nice change, gave him a wary glance but was quickly diverted back to the curious young man. Ranger let his own silver eyes drift towards the man, but never made a move to toss aside the platinum strands of hair that hung delicately before his sharp face.

He was engaged in conversation as quickly as a Radasanthian whore was her next meal ticket. Ranger shifted uneasily. He was an interesting fellow, curious and quick, but he had something about him that bothered the drow. He could not place a finger on it. So, instead of continuing his lone thoughts he grabbed his soft, honey-flavored wine and moved a stool down.

“You would not mind another ear, would you?” Ranger asked as he took a slow sip of his elven wine. “My name is Ranger Nailo, prophet of the Thayne, general connoisseur of all sorts of wines. It is a pleasure to meet you both…”

Kirby
06-21-07, 12:14 AM
Demon? Vinegar? Must be more local slang. Titus consulted the book once more, but he couldn't find any mention of any of the words. Oh, well. I think she's asking to taste my drink. What's the proper response... He thumbed through a few more pages, then found what he was looking for.

"Please, I invite you to sample." He gestured to the wineglass in front of him. "I find it to be well."

While she took up the wineglass and took a drink of it, Titus got a good look at the girl. She seemed pretty, even if her clothing was a bit on the risqué side. He'd never seen anyone with red hair before, much less red eyes. At the sight of her tail, coiling around the leg of the chair next to him, he started slightly, but managed to keep from making too much of a scene.

I wonder if all women here have tails. His eyes flitted briefly over to Gladys.

Wrinkling his nose slightly, he consulted the book again. The strange red-headed girl could see that its cover featured a string of odd symbols she'd never seen before. "I beg your pardon, but where is... Haida?" He worked his way through the unfamiliar name as if he was navigating a minefield.

Noticing that a second man had sought him out, Titus bowed his head slightly and gestured for him to sit, if he liked.

Daggertail
06-21-07, 09:12 AM
“Oh thank you!” I chimed as I took the glass and sipped, trying not to look disappointed but it was the same stuff. Perhaps it was my mood and failure that made the wine bitter or maybe I just wasn’t the wine drinker but really letting it drop might be the best choice or I might embarrass myself further.

I noticed him looking a little lower, probably at my tail or sizing me up and then glanced at the wench. I really hoped he wasn’t debating which girl he’d want to try for. Still he seemed innocent and was probably curious about my tail, though the glance at the miss that ran the bar wasn’t supporting that for humans never have tails.

Then there was that book. I was hoping that the tome had some language I could recognize but I just couldn’t. It could have been everything from a wizard’s magic book to a book on scoring girls. I was caught a little off guard as he asked where Haida was. “Well it’s a ways off. Not really worth going anymore. Used to be a nation apart from the world literally but then the nation decided to move and in turn got trounced by Salvar. Not really anywhere you’d want to be now. I assure you.”

With that another came, a drow that stood with importance and guile. He seemed polite though I really wished I knew why he decided to check us out. This drow seemed like the type that only did something that he thought important and was also a prophet.

“Sure you can join us! Just no preaching about how we’re leading sinful lives and will swim in the Stygian waters for eternity.” I laughed slightly knowing he wasn’t one of those mad prophets but if he couldn’t take a joke like that then he’d be way too uptight for me.

Ranger
06-21-07, 02:57 PM
Ranger’s curiosity was peaked at the sight of the book. Pages and pages of etiquette were written down in phrases. The phrases were not in the common tongue. The prophet could only divine that they were even etiquette by the way the boy spoke after searching through the book. They were overly polite, not normal. That was probably what had made him feel odd. The man was different, his tone was different, and he danced around words that he did not understand. “Interesting,” the drow thought as he took another sip and looked over the boys shoulder. “Does he not know the common tongue? I thought all humans were brought up with it. And if he does not speak the language, how does he comprehend what we say? Where could this boy be from?”

“Agreed,” the elder elf chimed in, “Haida is a land of demons and Fae. Not many have ventured there as of late, since the demons returned to the surface. I mean no offense, but there are rumors of another demon invasion of the mainlands, like from the times of old. Though it is mostly simple superstition and speculated rumors of something that is not quite known. Everyone knows, though, that the demons of Haida are nowhere near as powerful as the daemons of old.”

He had noted the girls appearance. A shock of red hair, crimson eyes, her less than casual clothing, and the almost prehensile like tail that flickered behind her set her as something more than human. She had to be one of them, a demon. However, he had changed over time. His discipline with the Legion of Light, a cult following a daemon of old as a god, had forced him into a bigotrious religion. He had cursed the demons, despised them as practitioners of evil and disgust. Even with the times having passed, and the great daemon Aerian having been slain, he still could not stop the grimace that curled his upper lip.

“A madman I am not,” he said, cooling his composure and pulling aside his silky hair. “I do not ‘preach’ as you assume… religion is not created for people to condemn others, but to help them lead a life most suited them. Ha! I have learned that lesson the hard way, believe me. And it is a pleasure to meet you as well, Miss…”

Daggertail
06-22-07, 09:15 PM
I thought this drow was going to snarl and lunge at what I said in jest. I meant it as a joke but Ranger didn't like it one bit though being a holy man and used to staying calm when need be probably kept things from getting really bad.

"errr... sorry. Umm I guess bad joke on my part." I tried to laugh but ti was rather nervous. I uncurled my tail and fidgeted it a little. I'm one of those people that just don't know how to act sometimes and the wrong things just come out of my mouth.

Now don't get me wrong he did seem to lack a sense of humor and people really need to have one or at least be able to see a joke and not get offended.

I smiled over to Titus and hoped he wasn't taking the joke badly even though it wasn't based at him, though I probably wouldn't be a very good guide on how to act in society. "so um where are you from?" I asked the youth who had to consult his book quite often in a desperate attempt to change the subject.

Kirby
06-23-07, 05:59 PM
So, where are you from?

Titus smiled slightly. What a relief! The conversation has finally moved past greetings and introductory questions! At least now I can work with the part of their language that I'm more comfortable with.

Setting the book carefully aside, though he made certain to keep it open and ready in case he needed it again, the man with the sandy-brown hair took his wineglass back and sat eagerly forward. "I am not from around here, yes? I have only just arrived in this place. The journey across the sea was, shall we be saying, 'for the dogs.'" He chuckled. "The rolling of the waves, the churn of the salt air... others love the sensation, but it is not agreeing with me."

He nods. "I am being from the island of Feldan, the Shapers' Isle. Have you heard of this place before?"

Kirby
06-28-07, 11:59 AM
*bump*

Ranger
06-28-07, 12:43 PM
Ranger sipped at his honeyed wine, letting the delicate flavor dance across his delicate palate. It brought something close to euphoria. Delicate palates were the perfect mediums for studying the finer points of alcohols. Being an elf, the prophet had one of the best. He turned and ordered another glass, his having but a meager sip remaining. Luckily, for himself and others, intoxication was also a hard point to reach after hundreds of years drinking.

“Have no worries young demon,” the elf responded with a smile. He was not easily offended, and the longer he lived the less confrontational he grew. It would take a direct insult, as well as a purely menacing character to bother him. Time made for more amiable personalities, it was a shame the rash humans had so little. They of all people could use them. “Chiding remarks have little impact on me. As well, your comment was not as bad as most.”

The drow tittered at the boy’s comment about the ocean. Sea travel was not for everyone, but the prophet felt the same way as the boy. ‘For the dogs’, such an odd phrase to use. “I have not heard of your homeland, though that is little surprise. There are many lands that are little known, if known at all. I’m curious to know what a ‘shaper’ is though… or if that is the name of a local lord? I would ask that you forgive my ignorance.”

The drow laughed despite himself.

((You don't need to bump threads here, lol. No worries))

theMagius
06-28-07, 02:44 PM
"This is not going to work."

Colewyn watched as a steady stream of customers walked from the dark street into the torchlit tavern. He pulled his head back from around the corner, and gawked. "Where did you get that?"

Aimey's fingers danced around the newly-formed knot of a cotton-laced sash. She had wrapped it around her waist several times to shrink the circumference of the dress. In between straightening the lapels of the beaded collar, she pointed a small finger to the sky. "Up there."

His eyes traced the side of the building up into the night sky, where a spider's web of clotheslines connected to the adjacent home. They were packed with several families' wardrobes--save one bejeweled dress.

Colewyn folded his arms across his barreled chest, "Aimey Rose of the House of Duncan, I cannot believe that you would stoop so low as to commit petty theft."

"Do you wanna eat, or not?" She traced the golden hairline on either side of her head, and formed a sloppy pony tail in the back. "Here, " she turned her back to him and tilted her head forward, "can you braid it?"

The man steadied himself, as his horsen body knelt down on the cobblestone.

"Besides, " she winced a bit as his powerful fingers tightened the braid, "I'm just gonna borrow it. It's not stealing if you give it back before anyone notices."

"I am sure you will explain that to the judge and constable at our hanging." He tied off the end of her hair, and moved to stand back up on his hooves. "You realize that we can simply wait until morning--when the bakeries open--and purchase our bread then."

She patted out the remaining folds in the dress, and covered up her worn, patchwork sandals. "I'm hungry now, Colewyn. I'm not waiting 'til morning. And besides..." Her hands fondled the front of the garment, "I need boobs."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Boobs." Her eyes darted to the ground in a frantic search for some makeshift padding.

"Young lady, " he began, "you are fourteen-years-old. Your 'boobs' are exactly the way they should be."

"Aha!" She found the stockings she'd plucked off the clothesline, wadded them up, and shoved them into the dress cups as Colewyn shook his head in dismay. "Okay, how do I look? Do I look old enough to order a loaf of bread in a bar?"

The centaur's face softened. And his eyes looked lovingly down at the human. In a faint whisper, he beamed, "You look like your mother."

The girl feigned a smile, and fiddled with her dress some more. "Thanks, Colewyn." She wiped the corner of her eye as she walked past him, "So, um, I'll be back in about an hour. Don't wait up."

A crease once-again formed in the centaur's brow, "Aimey Rose!"

"Kidding!" She winked at him, and mouthed the words, "five minutes, " as she turned to follow a line of people inside the tavern.

theMagius
06-28-07, 02:46 PM
The Peaceful Promenade was a living, breathing cross-section of Corone.

Nobles and scoundrels, beggars and champions, merchants and lords. They were all here. Eating and drinking and gambling and spitting and cursing and singing and...it was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen.

Aimey stood just inside the doorway, absorbing the sounds and the smells while her eyes danced from table to patron and back again.

The bar was packed solid. No chance of her getting any bread there. The main hall was a swarm of filled tables. But, with a little squinting and headbobbing, Aimey finally spotted one back near the piano in the corner. She started her descent through the crowd.

CRUNCH!

Something cracked under her left sandal. She looked down to find a sea of peanut shells. There must have been millions of them covering the floor.

"Awesome..." She grinned merrily, and slithered through the crowd toward the empty table. It was much louder back in the corner. The pianist was hammering away at the keys, and the instrument howled with delight. She didn't get much of a look at his face. She figured it was 'for the best', as there was already a much older, much more well-armed woman fawning at him over the side of the piano.

The tabletop was peppered with ale drops, tobacco grains, and salt. The cherrywood finish had long since worn off. In the center, next to a half-burnt candle, was a splintered wooden bowl overflowing with peanuts. Her tiny hands plunged into the bowl, sending several of the nuts rolling overboard, and down to the floor.

Amiey glanced left, to the adjacent table. A book caught her eye. She couldn't quite make out the title, as the spine was pressed against the man holding it. He clutched the thing the way a baby clutches a stuffed animal at bedtime. A dark, dark elf was seated next to the bookworm. She took note of the numerous weapon hilts protruding from either side of his chair. And then, there was 'Red'. She couldn't help but stare at Red's hair. It was positively prismatic. Bright, shiny, fluffy, gorgeous lockes of red hair.

"What for ya, missy?"

The barmaid broke her gaze. Specifically, the barmaid's cleavage broke her gaze. The woman's chest was bulging out of the beer-stained chemise that was spilling out over a far-too-tight bodice.

"Um, yes." She straightened her back, and lifted her chin, "I will take a glass of Claude D'Ebon Chardonnay."

The barmaid raised a brow. "Miss, a glass of Claude is pricey. Are you sure--"

"How much?"

"Two gold, at least. I'll have to check down in the cellar to be sure." Aimey reached down under the table, squeezed her fingers inbetween the folds of her 'borrowed' dress, and fetched three coins. "We don't get much requests for Claude."

She held the three gold out to the barmaid, "Do you have any loaves of bread?"

The busty woman snatched the coins, happily. "No, miss. No bread tonight. Only biscuts from dinner."

"That's will do." Aimey was fancying her role of wealthy socialite, "Let's say three small bags of your dinner biscuits, then?"

"Yes, Miss. Gimmee a few minutes."

"Aw, take yer time, " she waved, nonchilantly.

theMagius
06-28-07, 02:52 PM
Aimey was beginning to think that 'playing socialite' was going to get her in trouble.

It had easily been five minutes since she'd sat down in the Promenade, and the busty barmaid hadn't returned with her drink yet. Moreover, she hadn't returned with the food, yet. Perhaps it wasn't the wisest thing to pay the money before getting the goods.

"'Ere ya go, miss." Again, the mammoth breasts appeared in her face, "Sorry it took so long. I haven't had to crack a keg in I don't know how long!"

She wrapped her tiny fingers around the cold, narrow neck of the crystal goblet, and lifted it from the serving platter. It must've weighed two pounds--without the drink.

"Ooof!" The barmaid nearly fell atop the table as a burly man cupped her behind and squeezed. "Damn ya, Olrik! I'm workin'!" Aimey watched, eyebrows raised to the ceiling, as the two exchanged tongues and gropes. Then, realizing that she was being watched, the woman pushed her grimy lover aside and recomposed herself. "I'll get those biscuts for ya, miss." She disappeared into the crowd, and back into the kitchen.

Which left Olrik standing on one side of her chair. And two of his very large, very dirty companions standing on the other. Aimey's eyes rolled left. Then right.

"Allo, missy, " he slithered into the chair next to her, "wut's a young dove likes you doin' round these parts." The others quietly occupied the seats at the opposite end of the table as Olrik's lips parted to reveal a rotten, yellowed rack of misshapen teeth.

Aimey paused, throat constricting. "Well, um, hey there, Ulrik. I was just waiting for you and your buddies, here to come by. Ya see, " she leaned in close, quietly reeling from the stench of his unwashed teeth, "I'm really bleeding hard from my period right now. And I was just thinking of heading out to the privy. But I didn't want to lose my spot--no pun intended--so it's a great thing that you've offered to hold the table for me 'til I get back."

Slowly, the man's sultry smile decayed into a warped, confused look of gender panic. Aimey heaved the back of her chair out from the table, sending peanut shells scurrying across the floor. She swooped up from the seat, grabbed her drink gingerly, and sidestepped over to the next table.

Determined not to make eye contact with her former tablemates, Aimey nervously shuffled her feet and pretended to smooth out the folds of her dress. Something was tugging at her right sandal. She looked down. She was stepping on something. But not a peanut shell. She traced the object up the chair leg, and into the seat, and up the back of the chair.

It was connected to Red.

She was stepping on Red's tail!

Daggertail
06-28-07, 05:04 PM
It was good that the priest decided to take the joke, though without humor. He seemed to be the wise man that let nothing get to him, bad or good. The kind of man that would know wisdom but not have a bit of fun. Still he at least was able to take the joke without getting upset.

What was really interesting was the Description of Titus' homeland. He didn't say much but the word shapers had me interested. "Shapers as in Artificers?" I smiled as my tail wagged a little. "I bet they probably have some great devices there. I would love to visit the place." My excitement about that place seemed to grow.

I could see a place away from land where they made all kinds of great tools that they would use to make everyday life easier and such tools would make a peasants head spin. No wonder the kid was a little strange around people. "I hear you about sea travel, it's no fun and portals are worse. It's like having someone tear out your bowels while you faint. Don't think I'll be going home for a whiiii!"

I stammered a yelp of pain and something started to crush my tail. I looked around and saw a woman behind me, even younger than me. "C-Could you move your foot, it's on my tail?" I tried not to scream as I dug my fingers into the table.

theMagius
06-29-07, 08:16 AM
"OhmygoshI'mSorry!"

Aimey jumped sideways, bumping the bookworm's chair, and nearly spilling her drink all over his prized book.

"Oh, gosh." She set the wine down in the center of the table and dropped to the floor to caress the trampled tail. "Can I get you some ice? I am so totally sorry--"

She glanced up at Red. And that's when she saw them. Two glossy, ruby eyes.

Aimey pulled herself up from the floor, mesmerized.

Kirby
06-29-07, 08:40 PM
Luckily, Titus was just quick enough to pull his big leather-bound book out of the way of the falling wineglass. Though the glass of alcohol was indeed saved at the last moment, and though it probably wouldn't have done much to spoil either the thick book or its contents, Titus prided himself on the fact that he'd been spared from having to wipe a few droplets off the cover.

"Ah, goodness," said Titus aloud, looking down at Tyria's tail. "What a thing this is being to have happen! Such a shame." He shook his head and looked to Aimey. "Perhaps you will be kind so as to ask the kitchen for cold water or ice? I am being sure that it would be most welcome."

theMagius
07-02-07, 10:34 AM
The bookworm's garbled words brought Aimey back to her senses, "Ice. Right." She turned toward the bar, and collided with the busty barmaid's main assets.

"'Ere ya go, miss, " she smiled. Aimey reasoned that, when one's bust was secured firmly enough, it became more of a bludgeoning tool than an appendage.

"Oh, thanks. Hey, do you have any ice?"

"Ice?"

"Um, yeah, " she pointed to the floor, "I sort-of stepped on her tail-thingy."

"Ah, " The woman nodded, handing over three warm bags of dinner rolls, "I got just the thing. Back in a minute."

Aimey stood, bags in hand, staring at the group of strangers. This was taking longer than she'd expected. Colewyn was, no doubt, mildly-agitated by now. If she stayed here in the tavern for much longer, he'd move up to 'greatly-agitated'. Then again, she hadn't taken a sip of her drink, yet. And the dinner rolls smelled heavenly.

Taking the last seat at the table, she opened up one end of a bag and pointed it toward the others. "So, after stepping and spilling on you guys, the least I can do is offer up some food, right?

Daggertail
07-02-07, 11:36 PM
Now I was kinda stunned, the treatment that I was getting was kinda odd. I mean it was nice for them to worry about my tail but she went to the ground and tried to south the tail with soft movements. It made a dull pain as she was down there and it really wanted to do it's angry flicking about even though that would be painful. "Be careful, the end's sharp." I had to warn for it was a dangerous tail and I have a few regrets for cutting some demon's shin when I and he wasn't careful. I was really glad when she got up and started to talk with Titus.

"It's really okay, just a little bruise." I smiled as I looked at the girl, she had some fun quirks and there was something about her that made her seem younger than a woman that should be in this place alone. "some food or drink would be good." I took the girl's offer and relaxed a little, doing my best to keep my tail still and relaxed as possible.

The melon owner returned with some ice that I took with a thank you and wrapped it in a cloth and pulled my tail onto my lap and hold the ice to the bruise, lessening the pain. "Well that's better. And it's alright, you're not the first to trip on my tail." I hoped she wouldn't feel too guilty about the slight bit of damage, heck even I was over reacting with the way I Held the ice to it.

"Anyways it's over with. So miss, do you have a name, I'm Tyria. And what would bring you here, I'm relaxing after a bad day off attempted treasure hunting, being an adventurer isn't as easy as people make it sound."

theMagius
07-05-07, 11:54 AM
She outstretched her hand to Red, "I'm Aimey. Nice to meet you, Tyria."

Her eyes quickly danced from the drow to the bookworm and, noting their silence, moved back to Tyria.

"So, " she toyed with her still-full glass of Chardonnay, "you're all treasure hunters, eh?"

theMagius
07-11-07, 01:14 PM
The dead silence told her everything she needed to know about the three strangers.

She bit her lip and looked toward the door. More and more customers were filtering in. The noise was starting to drown out the triumphant piano in the background.

"Well, " Aimey took a tiny sip of her drink, and bulged her eyes as the fizzy burn tickled its way down her throat, "nice meeting you guys." She gently slid herself out from the table and grabbed the sacks of dinner rolls.

"Maybe we'll see each other again, eh?"

theMagius
07-18-07, 02:46 PM
The centaur watched from across the sreet as Aimey emerged from the crowded doorway of the Peaceful Promenade. "That was considerably longer than five minutes."

"Really?" She puzzled, "You sure about that? 'Cuz I'm pretty fast." Colewyn remained unconvinced. Aimey thrust forth the bags of warm dinner rolls, "Dinner, as promised."

The meal was set aside while the two of them removed the ornate disguise from her person. "Did you meet anyone interesting?"

"Oh, yeah. Lots of interesting people that I wanted to get away from."

He chuckled. "And now, young lady, you know what it is to be a centaur." She handed him the dress, and put her sandals back on.

Aimey started climbing, "I mean, it's like the first table I'm at, some ugly jerk sits down and wants to paw all over me." She outstretched her left hand to the clothesline. "And then, just when I give ugly the slip, I sit down at this other table with these three people. And, they seem like they're okay folks--ooh, you should've seen this one girl, Colewyn, she had the most beautiful red eyes--but then, they just kind of didn't talk at all." The last clothespin was fastened, and she started down. "It was like I wasn't even there. They just ignored me."

"Did you say something?"

She moved past his sly grin and picked up their dinner. "That is so not funny."

theMagius
07-24-07, 12:43 PM
Okay, folks, I've PMed everyone about submitting this thread. Only 1 member wrote back to give the 'ok', and the rest haven't posted in nearly a month.

Let's put a fork in this one...

Skie and Avery
08-02-07, 11:42 PM
Story

Continuity: 2 - I got basically no understandable background history from any of you. Only two of you gave me a reason for being there at all.

Setting: 3 - No real regard was put into the setting until theMagius came along.

Pacing: 1 - This thread went on for three pages and nothing got done.

Character

Dialogue: 5 - I think that this category was best taken advantage of by Kirby. Between Titus' awkward speech to Gladys sarcastic exasperation, this was solid gold.

Action: 4 - I think perhaps that everyone did act in character, and was consistent to the end of the thread, but at the same time, what was done?

Persona: 6 - Personalities were great, I just wish more had been done with them.

Writing Style

Mechanics: 5 - Most of you had a pretty strong grasp on sentence structure, spelling and grammar. Only a few complaints. Firstly, a paragraph is more than one sentence. It is more than two. Often, it is as many as *gasp* four. Secondly, for Daggertail. Please keep an eye out for those runons. They're killing you.

Technique: 4 - Everyone here could use refinement. Kirby, I'd like to see more inner dialogue and insight into what your character is thinking than what you're giving. Your penchant for humor is great, but the character seems so inaccesible to the reader. Daggertail, curb those run on sentences and slow down. First person is all about seeing the world through the character's senses, but making the writing as crazy and fast moving as the character's thought processes isn't the correct way to accomplish that.

Clarity: 6 - For the most part, okay, but there were a few places that I had to read once, twice, sometimes three times over again to try and figure out what was meant by a particular turn of phrase or sentence all-together.

Wild Card: 4 - I like Gladys. I want to be her when I grow up.

Total: 40

Kirby receives 261 EXP and 120 GP
Daggertail receives 261 EXP and 120 GP
Ranger receives 578 EXP and 60 GP
theMagius receives 331 EXP and 180 GP

Letho
08-03-07, 06:25 PM
EXP/GP added!