PDA

View Full Version : Soil of The Sun

The Architect
06-23-07, 11:52 AM
Ol’ Sol, Luna, Aurora, and Astrophel stood atop a giant dune overlooking the great minaret of Jya’s keep and the city of Irrakam. The morning sun rose red over the horizon and its rays filled the cloudless sky with a variety of vibrant watercolor hues. Never had they seen a sky so pure, and yet never had they seen a sky so cruel and unforgiving. However, it was the local belief that the hardship came from the earth, and angry goddess named Survani. The cool morning breeze pushed countless grains of sand around their feet, and the low roar of civilization could be heard from here.

“The innkeeper was right.” Seti ‘Astrophel’ Dylan said as he cautiously began to tip toe down the dune. His feet were accustomed to brick streets, compressed soil, and marbled floors. Sand’s give took some getting used to. “The sunrise from here does give this place a new look of life.”

“It wasn’t worth the early morning wake up.” Akhanatin ‘Aurora’ Ra started behind with his hands in his pockets and his eyes on the lifeless sand. He wasn’t a morning person. Seti knew that, but he woke the mason up along with the other Ancestors of the House of Sora anyways. The architect often found inspiration on leisurely jaunts in the early or late hours of the day, so he dragged the others along hoping they would find the same.

“We needed to wake up early anyways.” Seti said with a slight tone of aggravation. He abhorred Aurora’s irritable demeanor sometimes. “The meeting is at midday, and I don’t want you in front of Jya with an attitude like that, so I thought it useful to wake you now to give it time to wear off.”

“It is rather nice to see more of Fallien than just that horrid Outlander’s Quarters. Three days of fending against vagabonds of all the varieties Althanas can throw at us is finally at an end.” Tulmatra ‘Luna’ Methadras said as she meticulously ran her fingers through her long brown hair. “The inn man could have warned a girl about the sand though. The wind is getting it in my hair.”

“I can be grateful for that at least.” A rare smile emerged on Akhanatin’s pale face. “That place was like a dirty, lawless Radasanth. Humans, Elves, Drow, even those fairy things from Donnalaich all in one place compromising their dignity to satisfy their ambition.”

“Correction” Ken ‘Ol’ Sol’ Kilpatrick said as he lingered behind them. “I’m pretty sure there aren’t any Fae at all in Radasanth, and the Human percentage is still much higher in Radasanth. The facade of that place being a universal melting pot is inaccurate.”

“Either way, the Exit Pass and audience with the Jya are blessings.” Luna reached behind the silver heirloom of the House of Sora dangling off her neck and took hold of the exit pass. She took it off and spun it in the air, taunting the swindlers standing at the gate of the Outlander’s Quarters as they passed. “The Mother of Fallien picked us! Ha!”

The conversation between the four House Ancestors was idle even through the streets of Irrakam. The streets were alive with activity almost as if there hadn’t been a siege that seemed to last through all eternity. Yet even with the lightly crowded streets and the voices being thrown from end to end, Seti still felt like a rare speck of life in this environment. He and the ancestors were dressed in such vibrant white while the people all around them were covered in brown and burlap. All the while the four of them, having been away from the devastation of the siege, stepped in with vibrant hue. The architecture here seemed to have grown from the lifeless sand below it. The architect could respect that. It represented the resolve of the living soul even in the midst of such destruction as the siege. The fact that anyone could survive, much less thrive in this environment was nothing less than a miracle. When they finally reached the tall bronze gates of Jya’s Keep their eyes met with the symbolic sign of life they should have seen all day.

“Now this is architecture.” Seti said with open arms and a smile. “Now our primary mission is to capitalize on some of the rebuilding that needs to be done since the siege, but I submit further that we need to do our best to add this sort of life to whatever task we’re charged with.”

The Valkyrie
06-23-07, 03:03 PM
The breeze set the palm fronds outside of Astrid's window at Jya's Keep waving, the shadows dancing across the child's peaceful face as she slept, thumb in mouth and curled around a tiny doll that had been a gift from the Mother of Fallien. Bryn smiled as she watched her daughter sleep and stood from her chair next to the bed, laying a kiss on Astrid's chestnut curls before stepping from the room and closing the door softly behind her.

"Mistress," a young priestess approached the Valkyrie with a low curtsy which Bryn pulled her up from quickly and smiled, "The Jya has asked me to find you and see if you will greet our guests at the gate. I believe they wish to talk to us about rebuilding the city."

Her excitement was almost palpable as she spoke of rebuilding her city, returning her people to their homes and families as quickly as possible. It did not need to be contagious for Bryn to feel the same way and nod.

"Of course I will," she agreed, taking the young priestess by the arm and leading her down the hall so their echoing voices wouldn't wake Astrid from her much needed nap, "Tell the Jya that it is taken care of, and I will let her know what was discussed if the discussion doesn't make it's way to her."

The priestess nodded and rushed off to carry her message to Jya, obviously still rather new in her position. Bryn shook her head, the girl would be a wonderful addition to the women who led Fallien.

Her feet carried her down myriad halls and through several gardens where fountains tinkled merrily into cool ponds where golden fish flashed beneath the surface and brightly dressed birds sang and called to one another among the flowers. The gardens were a joy to wander through, pleasing to sit within and relax as her daughter played in the lush grass. Perhaps she would direct Jya's guests to one of these gardens to converse the fate of Irrakam.

Bright sunlight sought to blind the Valkyrie as she stepped out into the Courtyard. Heat radiated up from the baked clay cobbles at her feet and cast itself over her like a blanket from above. Even with the light silk tunica of the palest cream that barely skimmed the tops of her knees, its sleeves held from her arms by beaded strings, Bryn felt like she was sweltering in the heat of the midday sun.

A small group waited outside the massive gilded gates which protected the Keep from the city without. Bryn strode purposefully toward them, the gates opening as if by magic when she did. The guards nodded curtly at the blonde warrior as she passed and she returned their nods with a polite smile.

"Greetings to you on behalf of the Mother of Fallien," she approached them with hands outstretched, palms upward as was the tradition in the desert land, "The Jya has bid me to meet you and take you into her Keep to discuss with you the reconstruction of her beloved city. If you'll come with me?"

The Architect
06-24-07, 02:01 PM
“Hold your thoughts for a minute, Astrophel.” Ol’ Sol said as he pointed towards the gates. “I think our envoy is here. That’s the first time high class has been prompt with us.”

Seti turned and what he saw was a further example of the vibrant life that should have been filling the streets of Irrakam. The gates slowly swung open with honor to make way for a beautiful golden haired woman. Her arms opened as she smiled a calm and genuine smile. Her entrancing eyes were as green as the most lively plants, and her silk tunic clung on for the ride as a soothing wind passed. It even made the House Ancestors’ white clad clothing seem lifeless and empty. She was a breath of fresh air in the suffocating heat of Fallien. He was not disappointed that this was not the Jya. Perhaps she would be even more breathtaking.

“House Ancestors, I further submit to you a source of inspiration for the beauty and life of our future work.” Seti said as he mirrored the envoy’s dessert curtsey. He added his own nod. “We are the Ancestors of the House of Sora, and we’ve come to offer our services in rebuilding the Fallien capital.”

Ken stepped forward and gave a full fledged bow, bending his torso down with his eyes closed. His long brown hair had to be flung aside as he rose. “I’m Ol’ Sol, ship builder extraordinare. If your fleet needs repairs, replacement, or advancement, I am here to assist and consult.”

Tulmatra used a more traditional curtsy, holding the sides of her long skirt and slightly spreading them as she bent her knees and nodded her head with a girlish smile. “Luna, surveyor of the lands on which you wish to build. Indulge me with any location and resources available and I will indulge you with the most efficient way to build.”

“That’s where I come in.” Akhanatin simply stood with a blank expression and crossed arms. He only submitted a nod at the head. “Give the Aurora your stone and I’ll make it your palace.”

“And I am Astrophel, the architect.” Seti said with haste to take the envoy’s attention away from the sour Aurora. “I bring visions of beauty to reality through the edifice. I am the Patriarch, and we are the four Ancestors of the House of Sora, and may I add that we are determined to bring the live we see in Jya’s Keep to whatever task we’re charged with.”

It was a rehearsed introduction which they had performed many times, but it had worked years ago. Hopefully it would work now as they were reviving the international House of Sora.

As they began to follow the envoy Seti couldn’t help but ask. “Can I get your name by the way?”

The Valkyrie
06-27-07, 10:00 PM
If the heat had not already set her cheeks to a glowing rose, she now blushed more deeply, long lashes covering vibrant eyes as she cast them downward modestly. When she looked up to find the group bowing and curtseying before her she shook her head fervently.

"No, no," she cried, as she motioned for them to step inside the gates, "Please don't bow to me, I'm simply a friend of the Jya. She asked me to speak with you. My name is Brynhilde Darkthorne, a Valkyrie who fought during the Siege for the city of Irrakam."

It was rather embarassing to have these guests to Fallien treat her as though she held some high station or other important task within this country she only recently began to call home. The guards hid their laughter behind sun-darkened hands, dark eyes twinkling merrily at Bryn's discomfiture. Taking a breath, and trying to regain her composure she gestured widely around her at the massive courtyard that led into the cavernous interior of Jya's Keep.

"Welcome to Jya's Keep," Bryn continued her greeting, "If you'll come with me, I'm happy to guide you to somewhere with some shade and refreshment. Aside from the rather obvious scars and scorchmarks on the facade of the Keep, Jya's home has withstood the perils of battle rather well. The rest of the city did not."

A priestess met them at the large oak doors which stood open most of the time to allow breezes to pass through the Keep, and led the small group up a short flight of stairs and into a lush shaded garden strewn with deep pillows and luxurious benches. Chilled fruit drinks awaited them on a small table near a waterfall which tinkled in the corner, and Bryn gestured for the Ancestors of the House of Sora to take a seat.

"Much of Irrakam used to be this way," she continued to explain to the visitors, "The buildings were immaculate and whitewashed, with flowers and gardens and fountains at every corner. The people dressed in bright silks and linens, proud of their desert home. Now they mourn for it - as I'm sure you noticed in their rough clothing they now wear."

She paused, taking a sip of the cool strawberry beverage the priestesses had quickly learned was her favorite, and gave the guests a moment to think on what she had said and to ask any questions they might have.

The Architect
06-30-07, 10:15 AM
In a single unified move the four Ancestors descended upon a bench across from Brynhilde. The priestess had plenty of strawberry beverages ready and handed each of them their own. Seti wondered if other fruits were available to them here in Fallien. He sure did fancy himself some pair nectar from Alerar. The architect knew the other ancestors were probably pondering similar thoughts as they sipped from their glasses of magenta red pleasure. The surveyor, being the homebody of the group, was probably itching for some Scara Brae pomegranate, the ship builder was probably daydreaming of squeezing dates, and the rough and tough mason was likely engaging in an internal dialogue as to whether he should pour in some vodka from his hidden flask.

Tulmaltra spoke first. “I’m sure our architect is somewhat relieved to hear that all of Irrakam was allowed to experience the fruitful environment we’re surrounded by right now. Right, Seti?”

He had just completed a long gulp of strawberry juice. The surveyor had spoken for him, but she had spoken correctly. “Right, but I’m sure you would first like to restore the strategic structures as soon as possible. You never know when your enemies may strike again.”

“I also just happened to notice that Fallien possesses the largest river in the known world.” Ken Kilpatrick said just after wiping off a red mustache of strawberry nectar. “On the way here from Scara Brae I devised several ship models that will make conquest from the river quite difficult.”

“I’m sure you and the Jya are curious as to what the House of Sora charges.” Seti said. “In this situation, as long as you provide the labor and the resources, we will provide our designs and management free of charge.”

Seti was sure, as were the other Ancestors, that such a charitable offer would stun the emissary Brynhilde and raise a myriad of questions. So he waited in silence for the woman’s response.

The Valkyrie
07-03-07, 12:18 AM
It was an overwhelming amount of information for the Valkyrie to ingest all at once, and she sat silently for a moment contemplating this strange display of charity. Fallien, which was for the most part xenophobic and closed off to foreigners, had garnered a sort of ugly stepsister image from the rest of Althanas because of its attitude. For some reason though, these people wanted to help to rebuild what Bryn now called home, and to do it essentially for nothing. Of course it made her suspicious, but Bryn did not want to automatically assume the worst.

"You know," she began slowly, green eyes moving from one face to the next as she spoke, "Fallien has always been a rather isolated country. Not only geographically, but diplomatically as well."

Bryn paused, watching their faces and also glancing at the priestess who still stood quietly listening at the door. The priestess of course knew the story and the political history of Fallien, but even she looked interested in what the Valkyrie might say next.

"Of course, most of the world thinks it's because the Fallien people are selfish or scared of letting anyone into their barren little country," she finally continued, "They cannot imagine why anyone would be so protective of a lot of sand dunes. What they probably don't know is what you are learning now that you are here."

Even though she had come down from the company of gods and warriors, Bryn still found the beauty of this desert region breathtaking, and its people awe inspiring. It made her an excellent defender of its philosophies. Although she believed in her own set of gods - Odin and Loki and Hel - she knew that Suravani and Mitra were just as real to the people of Fallien as her gods were to her. Their story was integral to the House of Sora understanding just why it was so important that Irrakam be rebuilt.

"In reality, the people of Fallien fear the outside world. Fallien was once ruled by kings and princes - greedy, selfish, warmongering men who kept the women as slaves and mistreated the land itself. Suravani destroyed the land after many warnings. Irrakam was where the only faithful people remained, and it was through them that Suravani realized she must have mercy on her children," Bryn always found the story of the Vadhya heartrending, and the idea of how the few survived her wrath something which earned them a place in history, "This is where the first Jya was blessed by Suravani to change the ways of her people - and everything changed when she took on this great task."

The priestess was smiling, dark eyes shining with unshed tears at the retelling of her people's story - whether it was with pride or solemn rememberance Bryn wasn't sure, but she nodded to the priestess before turning her bright gaze on the leader of the group.

"Seti Dylan," she said sternly, "If you think to gain something or to manipulate these people by offering what seems to be charity, I think you'll find it difficult to accomplish. You'll pardon my suspicion I hope..."

Her words trailed off - Jya stood in the doorway, Astrid's tiny hand wrapped in hers, the Mother of Fallien watching silently as this foreigner defended her country. Bryn blushed again, the heat rising in her cheeks and leaving her speechless.

"Brynhilde," Jya laughed lightly, pale blue eyes glinting in the afternoon sunlight, "I hope you don't intimidate my guests too much."

The Architect
07-04-07, 04:17 PM
The Ancestors instinctively stood and repeated their respective bows to the woman who had referred to them as her guests. Logic pronounced that this was Jya of Fallien. For a long moment things were silent. Seti, being the spokesperson, had frozen in contemplation. He properly greeted Jya, but was incapable of duplicating her flawless smile. He glanced at the child and nodded bashfully as if he were a child himself. Perhaps the best way to convince them of the House’s sincerity was to emphasize their side of the deal.

“Forgive me for my bluntness, but the reality of the proposed deal will reveal that there isn’t much charity involved. You would have to provide the building materials for my structures, the wood for Ol’ Sol’s ships, and the workforce for both. We would also require living quarters. What we can guarantee is that our designs will be the state of the art aesthetically and strategically.”

Seti stopped. This wasn’t good enough. It didn’t provide a motive.

“I have something to say.” Akhanatin stepped up. He put a hand up before Seti could stop him. “Actually, I have a lot to say. Since you divulged us in a little history lesson, which by the way was unnecessary since we’ve read up, I’d like to give you the history of the House of Sora. We started out five years ago as a group of a dozen or so builders in Scara Brae, who decided to share resources and information to better get the job done. Things were very good for us because of our competitive discounts and the quality of our work. We did so well that we expanded, went to Corone, Raiaera, Alerar, Antioch. Some of us even crossed the Great Divide and worked in nations I’m sure even you haven’t heard of, Miss Jya. Then came that big battle in the eternal war between Raiaera and Alerar. It caused a chain effect and most of our clients had to prepare for the worst, which meant most of us were out of a job. Yup, war is bad for business even if we could build war ships and fortresses. Then one of our members died at Valinatal, and another near the location of the Obsidian Spire. We lost people we considered family, and one Luna considered the love of her life.”

Tulmaltra dropper her head as she pulled out the chain that held the House of Sora heirloom. The shield shaped pendant featured a depiction of the solar eclipse, but it was what was behind the pendant that held relevance. She lifted it to reveal two golden wedding bands. Her head remained down even after she put the heirloom back under her shirt. Seti, now understanding that being completely candid was the only way to prove their sincerity, served the epilogue.

“The House of Sora has recently upscaled its membership. We are no longer just a group of builders. We’re a full fledged organization, with warriors, diplomats, entrepreneurs and others. We stand for the progress of world civilization. We’ve evaluated your situation and concluded that supporting you would be a step in the right direction.”

The Valkyrie
07-22-07, 05:38 PM
"I know who you are and why you are all here," Jya answered quietly, her blue eyes surveying the Ancestors of the House of Sora and then finally pausing on Bryn's face, "I've known you were coming for quite some time. You must trust them Brynhilde. I've told you they will help Fallien to be reborn like the Phoenix which represents it. Give them what they need to do their job."

Bryn looked up at the Jya as she spoke to the Valkyrie, and then bowed quietly at the feet of the Mother of Fallien. So, Suravani had spoken to Jya about the House of Sora the same way the Goddess had told the wise-woman that Bryn was pregnant. It was something she should have come to expect by now she supposed.

"I will do as you say," Bryn agreed as Jya pulled her gently to her feet and kissed her cheeks gently, "Astrid, will you stay with Godmother for a while?"

The child nodded, her smile as wise and understanding as Jya's. Bryn kissed her daughter's forehead and turned back to the guests even as Jya took the child's hand once more and led her from the room. Bryn looked from face to face before speaking.

"Whatever you require will be provided," Bryn told them finally, "It seems we all have our histories and reasons to trust. Where do we begin?"

The Architect
08-04-07, 09:26 AM
The atmosphere, even now, remained awkward. Not only did Seti feel somewhat guilty getting Brynhilde in a little bit of trouble, but this was the part where Tumaltra would speak up. The mention of her deceased husband left her mute, and her eyes were still to the ground. Seti knew the drill though, so he spoke for her.

“Normally we would scout areas in which we could build new things, but considering the situation we thought we could help repair the damages from the last siege.”

“Astrophel here’s a humble man, so he won’t admit that he has an eye for strategy as well as style.” Ken said with a smile. “He could build the most beautiful and most effective fortress on Fallien soil.”

“Yes, Sol, and we could revive the beauty of the rest of the city. Perhaps boost the people’s morale a bit.” It was clear that Seti and Ken were on different pages.

“It’s not our job to decide what to build. It’s yours. Only then will we be able to tell you what we need.” Akhanatin knew how Seti and Ken operated. More often than not they were on different wavelengths, especially in situations like this. They would lobby to their client in hope that the decision would turn in their favor. It annoyed him enough to want to hurt the both of them, but at least they quickly got over it and went to work. That was why he intended on ending it now. “It would also be best if you took us to the sites we’ll be working on as soon as possible.”

The Valkyrie
08-22-07, 09:50 PM
"You seem to know quite well what you are doing," Bryn agreed with a smile, sitting gracefully at the edge of a merrily tinkling fountain where the brightly colored koi within dashed along the surface hoping for food, "And you know our history."

Bryn stood and went to an archway that looked out over the city of Irrakam. It was scorched and many buildings were reduced to little more than rubble. The flowers had long since been seared in the heat of the firebombs the Harpies had dropped, or died of neglect in the meantime. The once beautiful shining city only left a bad taste in one's mouth now.

Turning back from the window, Bryn sighed and shook her head, casting her eyes toward the latticed ceiling overhead where dappled sunlight strained through the jasmine vines that wove above their heads. The city had been an oasis for her from more than just the neverending desert heat, and she was quite certain she wasn't the only one who couldn't stand the idea of it changing in any way.

"I'll find you the old city maps and as many paintings as possible of the way the city looked before it burned," the Valkyrie decided, nodding to a priestess who stood in the doorway awaiting her decision, "We can also go down into the city to speak with the merchants and citizens there to get the blueprints for their buildings if they still exist - many of them are probably in vaults in the Chamber of Commerce in the Merchant's Walkway."