PDA

View Full Version : And for the last time...

skyler manfield
03-25-06, 10:21 PM
unremarkable assassin

Name: Skyler Manfield
Race: Human
Height: 5'11
Weight: 137 lbs
Hair: Mousy brown
Eyes: Sea grey

Appearance: Although pretty in her own way, Skyler is a very unremarkable young woman as far as appearances go. She is tall and slender, with jaw-length brown hair that is neither straight nor curly. Her eyes are a cold grey, but when she is amused or satisfied a certain light seems to glow from within - almost like the sea before a storm. Her lips are thin, her high thin cheekbones scattered with freckles. Her face remains expressionless most of the time, although when she is amused it holds a cynical smirk.

Personality: Like many assassins, Skyler is cynical and paranoid. She has not slept a full night since she was 10 years old, and has no reason to sleep a full night now, as it could easily cost her her life. Between running for her life and trying to save that of her mentor, the girl is high-strung and afraid to trust, but as any girl of her age would, she longs for someone to care about her.

Weapons: In addition to several small daggers tucked in her sleeves and boots, Skyler keeps two 4 and 1/2 inch stilettos with black painted steel blades (except along the edge) and handles. These were gifts from her mentor, and are molded perfectly to fit her hand. She also makes use of various poisons - on her person at this time are maleberry nectar, moonseed, and rue - all are in small amounts, but are enough that if no antidote is given, the target will die within 2 days.

Armor: Skyler wears no armor, as most is too heavy or constricting. She wears simple black denim pants, and a comfortable long sleeved tunic of either black or grey. A long cloak of undyed wool protects her from the elements. Simple soft-soled leather boots of undyed leather are on her feet.

Items: Skyler carries a small black backpack, which carries her personal toiletries (its very hard to sneak up on someone when you smell badly, or have bad breath, no matter how good you are), as well as her small amount of money, and a leather case which contains various flasks and glass bottles which normally hold various poisons - at this time she only has a small amount of maleberry nectar in a clay vial, several moonseeds in a small velvet bag, and a glass bottle with crushed rue inside.

Skills: A trait which is both instinctual and learned, Skyler has perfected her natural talent of going unnoticed. Unless one already knows she is there, Skyler might not be noticed until one trips over her. Perhaps it is because she is so quiet, perhaps because she is so unremarkable, and perhaps because she simply wills herself not to be seen or heard.

History: Born to a harlot in one of the many brothels in Radasanth, Skyler was quickly immersed into a life of crime. When one's mother is not of a reputable position, one's opinion of her heritage may become diminished. And so it was with Skyler, and the child began to learn the in's and out's of the darker half of society.

Since men sometimes have strange appetites, it only took one incident for Skyler to discover the innate ability to become unnoticeable. As her talent to fade into the woodwork increased, the child found that it was easy to go completely unnoticed for long periods of time. It was not long before the owner of the establishment decided that having a child around was not the best for business. She had also noticed the child's ability and mentioned it to a friend of hers who was a member of The Council - a group of twelve made up of theives, assassins, and other less wholesome members of society. Since it seemed to Layla, the owner of the brothel, that having a chid in her establishment was a hindrance to business, she made a deal with The Council to apprentice the child to them for a certain price. Skyler's mother never even shed a tear as her child was taken away to live a life of crime. Of course Skyler didn't cry either.

At first, they limited Skyler to menial tasks, asking the child only to serve food, clean, deliver unimportant messages and to carry small burdens. They did not let the child into the room in which they met for several weeks - at least not to their knowledge. But Skyler found it beyond simple to follow The Council into their chamber unnoticed, and remain unseen as she listened to their business, their plots and plans. It was only when they were meeting late into the night and she fell asleep in the corner that she was found. The next morning after the meeting Hawk, who was the most respected assassin in Radasanth at the time pulled the child up by the colloar and leveled a cold glare at Skyler's dirty face. To his suprise, she glared back, grey eyes unblinking. His anger dissolved as he realized the discovery he had just made. If this CHILD could sneak into The Council and remain unnoticed until the morning, how much more skilled would she be with the proper training?

"What is your name, brat?" he demanded, keeping up the semblance of anger. the child blinked once and then shrugged.

"They called me Skyler at the whorehouse where I was born... and I think my mother's last name was Manfield if it matters," she growled back, remaining completely still as Hawk held her there.

"And how old are you?"

"Ten," she said shortly, her grey eyes still drilling a hole through his skull. Nodding, he dropped her to the floor, where he was suprised to see her land on her feet.

"I have a proposition for you," he said, a slight smirk turning up one side of his thin-lipped mouth.

"No! I ain't like my ma, I won't be your whore - even if I can sneak into your room - GO TO HELL!" she hissed at him, and took off running down the hall and back to her small simply decorated room. Quietly she curled up on one corner of her bed and allowed herself to sort of fade into the wall. She watched angrily as Hawk knocked and stood in the doorway looking for her.

"Skyler, I know you are hiding from me right out in the open - and that's what I want to talk to you about. A skill like yours would be very beneficial in my line of work, and I think you know what I do," he stood there in silence fo a long while, and Skyler didn't know if he was thinking or just waiting for her to respond. Finally, he sighed and turned to go. Before walking away, he stopped with his back facing her - a dangerous thing for an assassin to do.

"Skyler, maybe it is wrong for me to ask a child to become a killer... but I know you would excel at it. Please find me if you think you want to learn?" he walked away before she could respond, not wanting her to make a hasty decision she might regret later.

But Skyler had killed before - more than once. When one fo the customers tried to rape her, he was found the next morning to have somehow fallen on his own dagger. when another customer had abused one of Skyler's closest friends, a whore called Chloe, the man stayed for 3 days extra because he fell ill, and did not wake up on the third day. So the child knew what her answer would be.

When night fell, The Council convened again, and again Skyler was there, hiding unnoticed in the shadows. The group discussed their normal business and Skyler listened carefully as always.

"My friends, I wanted to mention something to you all. I am hoping to take on a new and promising apprentice - if the child will agree to it," Hawk stood up and announced, look ing around as though searching for Skyler in the room. The other members of The Council gasped, fowned, muttered in response - who would think of training a child to be an assassin? What child could be good enough? Why would someone as good as Hawk give his secrets to anyone, much less a child?

"Skyler?" he called the child's name hoping she would respond, and she did, standing up and walking over to the table much to the suprise of those gathered there. A smile lit Hawk's cold eyes and he put a hand on the child's shoulder.

"You are all familiar with Skyler - she's been serving us here for several weeks. What you don't know or didn't until today, is tht she has a very valuable skill - Skyler can make herself invisible," he revealed.

"No," the child shook her head, "no I can't make myself invisible, I can just make it so no one cares to notice me."

"That's why you want her Hawk, but don't you find it a bit reprehensible to ask a girl to become a paid murderer?" the man who had orignally made the deal to take the child asked quietly.

"Deacon, you have some nerve saying that - you were the one who paid to bring a child to a den of thieves and murderers to begin with," Hawk growled, gesturing to those in the room. Skyler stepped foward and lifted her chin.

"You speak of me as though I am not here. I might be young, but I lived in a whorehouse until last month. I've killed 2 men, and left others without certain body parts," she glared around her at the criminals, "I'll be happy to learn with Hawk, and then maybe I'll prove myself better than just a servant bought from a whore."

Hawk smiled and without another word led her from the room to begin what would be 8 long years of training. At the end though he would be at least as deadly as Hawk, and harder to trace for all her skills.

When Skyler was 18 years old and truly no longer a child, she was deemed ready to begin working professionally. Her last test was to be given to her on the day of the summer solstice. It would not be given to her by Hawk, but by the rest of The Council in his absence. She readied herself as always, concealing weapons on her person, and herself in the Council Room.

"Hopefully, Skyler will grace us with her presence soon," Deacon said, impatiently tapping his foot - he had become second in command under Hawk who had now become their leader.

"I am here sir," she said, stepping to the head of the long table at which the 11 sat.

"Your test, Skyler," he said, getting straight to the point, "is to ill a certain member of The Council."

The other members did not look suprised - and the only member not there was Hawk, who had become her beloved mentor and dearest friend. A frown creased her brow, and she grew quite pale as realization dawned on her. She looked up at Deacon shaking her head in disbelief.

"If you do not complete this task, not only will we complete it for you, but you will become a target as well - believe me, you are expendable," he purred with a smug smile on his face. The fledgling assassin mirrorred his smile and stepped up to stare him in the eye - he was not a small man, but she was tall for a woman, nearly six feet.

"To threaten somoene you cannot always see is not wise. If you kill Hawk, you may begin counting your breaths. If you come after me, do not bother," she warned him quietly, and cast a steely glare at the other members of The Council to let them know the same held true for them. In a silent fury, she left the room, returned briefly to her quarters for her bag which was perpetually packed, and left the Thieves Quarter of Radasanth for the last time.

Cyrus the virus
03-25-06, 11:22 PM
Manfield, eh? I bet the ladies would love that.

I'm going to ask that you get rid of the poisons, and obtain them through questing. Having potent poisons on your person without having earned them is too much, especially considering that most characters wouldn't have knowledge of an antidote.

The skill is way too good, considering Skyler can just leap out of the shadows at anytime and score a quick attack -- one that another character would have a hard time dodging without powergaming. She can be stealthy, but unnoticable is too much of a stretch for level 0. She may have a talent for stealth, but a character may notice her if he's attentive or looks in her direction.

skyler manfield
03-26-06, 11:21 AM
This is actually an exact copy of the edited profile that was approved by Dissinger pre-crash.

Cyrus the virus
03-26-06, 12:31 PM
That's nice, but I don't think it's fair to be able to be absolutely unnoticed because of your incredible stealth at level 0. If one can only begin a character with moderate swordmanship, it makes no sense that you can have such incredible ability to hide or simply dissappear.

And I'd still much rather have you obtain the poisons through other means. Actually, sure, keep a small supply (like two doses) of one of them.

If you have a problem, have Dissinger contact me.

Cyrus the virus
03-27-06, 12:14 PM
Approved because I'm a dumbass who sucks.