PDA

View Full Version : The Endless Book 1. ((Closed))

Mutant_Lorenor
06-26-07, 09:18 PM
((Moderator notes: This takes place in the past before Lorenor's involvement with The Gol'Bron))

((If you are strongly interested in this Quest contact me and I can work you in))

Recruitment Thread (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=70652#post70652)

Lorenor looked back, probably his first mistake. The images of where his person just was burned in his fractured brain. Images of the vast field of darkness the things poking around in his brain, all of it. At one moment he'd sworn death took him. Yet--a deeper part of the boy's mind forced him to realize what he was. Cursed, a blight upon this land of Althanas. Forever erased from the Book of the Living. Death was but a temporary slumber and his name meant for so much more--forgotten. Where once the very mention of his name spread fear and terror across the land now his exploits fell into the unforgiving claws of myth. With his time in the living darkness Lorenor heard a name repeated over and over. The supra-conscious called itself The Endless. They gave Lorenor a title too.

In his time with The Endless the central supra-conscious communed directly from another individual. Giving the boy commands and errands, tasks that needed doing. The Endless revealed that they'd slept eons waiting for Lorenor to come. From the darkness, one who sat in a prison far away from Althanas commanded The Endless and ultimately guided Lorenors' hand. They whispered the Dark Mothers name to Lorenor. Listen to the words and the guidance of the Dark Mother, N'Jal. Be one with her army. The wretch learned in his time with the Endless that a substance in his blood allowed him to bond. Where The Endless normally take over and destroy what is the previous form of a host body, Lorenor's blood allowed him to combine his person with The Endless.

Instead of the hostile take-over The Endless existed in peace with Lorenor whose destiny was as The Carrier. When The Endless bonded with the boy Lorenor died a million times over and each time was reborn. In his madness he found the purpose of The Endless. Their mission, and in turn, the young Immortal's future decided itself for him. The Endless gave Lorenor a purpose and a direction he'd lacked for many ages. The supra-conscious whispered its words into the deeper part of Lorenor's brain, the only lull-a-bye the boy would ever hear. Heretic words of dark prophecies and ancient wars filled his head with a renewed sense of being, a renewed sense of desire. The one creed The Endless told the boy was never to look back. Despite that one creed, the boy looked back.

Living within The Endless reminded Lorenor of living inside a womb. Pain, crushing pain, and the feeling of nutrition from some unseen umbilical cord wrapping itself in the eternity. Looking back Lorenor saw a moving black substance as far as the eye could see. For many miles into the cavern, Lorenor saw naught except for blackness. A single, living, writhing, darkness that cascaded around itself. It had no form and yet siphoned everything it touch. The being writhed as one living mass consuming whatever it came across and yet bonding with it. No--becoming a PART OF IT. An entirely new living structure comprised of the dark. Lorenor became at once terrified of it, disgusted, and yet fascinated. Feeling anguish in his stomach his first instict was to run, but he denied that impulse. The Endless writhed at his feet and for a long moment he wanted to jump back into the comforting emptiness of that solace. Away from everything and away from betrayal.

Lorenor thought carefully about the words The Endless spoke and the new name they'd granted him. The Endless told him that the one that he was bonded to would protect him at times of need. He could call onto that specimen's help for assistance--and maybe it could help. Lorenor took a long hard look at The Endless and then saw his own reflection in the pool. Somehow, he saw that a shadow covered the areas where once there was a pair of eyes, a nose, and where once he had proud ears. Now stood nothing but flesh. His graying flesh. No longer was the boy a piece of rotting meat, but still the Immortal knew he'd seen healthier days. Lorenor observed The Endless for a moment longer and then understood what he needed. They lurked somewhere on this cursed earth of Althanas. The three books of the Dark Mother.

One lurked in an ancient Ruin somewhere nearby in the caverns of Haide. It had taken so many names now Lorenor realized. He wondered what incarnation the region would take now? Now that the Demons were no longer in power? Now that his own people reduced themselves to squabbling for pieces of rock and dust? Lorenor turned away from The Endless and decided it was time to claim his birth-right. He made his way towards the general direction of the ruin caverns knowing that he would find his way there alone if need be. As he walked he felt the supra-conscious of The Endless less and less, instead hearing the voice of the individual piece he was bonded to. The boy listened carefully to its archaic speak and instructions. Once he was certain of where he needed to go, he made his way in that general direction of the Haide wild. Soon, he would once again be on the surface world, but one final challenge remained.

So, Lorenor walked into the wild.

Daggertail
06-27-07, 11:46 PM
I was too old to go running off like that but I did anyways. Frustration can do all things to a persons mind even cause them to act like a child and that's what I did. I was sick of the world lately, my job as waitress was getting so dull and bothersome. Does a girl really need to be told how another girl has better looking parts than her. It was just old and I needed a change so I ran off thinking that maybe I'll find something new or cool down or even adventure, or at worst I'd be eaten by a drake but then I wouldn't have to scrub spilt ale that was just for me.

But either way I ran off with some cheap weapons that I played around with from time to time, even got pretty good with them. The orange magma sky gave it's constant glow and warmth as the usual black trees wove their way and lived off of the heat instead of sunlight. It was as pretty as a day in Haida could be but every day was the same, a lot like my life.

I just wasn't adventuring material, a demon girl that wasn't even half the size of her kin. I was just a little thing that was going to wash dishes, scrub tables, pour drinks, smile dumbly, fend off perverts and go to sleep every day. Why was it some people got to have all the fun, scouring lost ruins and fighting off monsters and getting paid quite a lot. Perhaps being a girl was part of why or my small size but it seemed like I was doomed to live my lot.

Perhaps that was why I ran away, it was time to gamble, to find adventure, to come home with treasure that will scream for them to respect me. Perhaps I'd return with such wealth that everyone would suck up to me. That demon that always pulled my tail would be my foot stole for some coins and he wouldn't say anything about Wenryn having better breasts than me.

I wasn't going to be just a serving girl anymore. Or I'd get eaten and it wouldn't matter.

Mutant_Lorenor
06-28-07, 12:31 AM
Lorenor wandered through the wild caverns of Haide many a time in his past incarnations. So much so that this time things seemed to come into place like clockwork. Following no particular direction other than the instinctive sing-song of the creature within his vessel, Lorenor's path eventually intersected with all other creatures on Althanas. Letting the hand of the Dark Mother guide him, Lorenor eventually found himself upon an ancient dirt road. The rocky growth here seemed some-what different from the usual granite and sedimentary rocks that commonly decorated Haide's landscape. The flora that grew here, unique to Haide as well, specimens belonging to the fungi kingdoms and even complex outgrowths of algae.

Lorenor observed several large trees of a mushroom that he'd never seen before. Curious, the small warrior proceeded onto that ancient crossroads. A series of four roads intersected upon the spot where these trees grows. Here, the faint glow of the rocks all around was slightly dimmer than natural. Even Lorenor needed to adjust his vision for a moments. Once his gaze adjusted to the sight before him, Lorenor knew that this precisely seemed like the location that The Endless spoke to him about. Looking at the different directions of the compass, the boy thought upon the riddle-songs that The Endless whispered into the depths of his brain. They solicited clues, but many were difficult to understand.

Also, The Endless whispered that Lorenor's attempt at completing this quest needed companions. The Endless sang that his companions awaited at the cross-roads. Walking towards the tree, Lorenor picked some strange fruit that grew from its branches. The fungi provided trees unlike any found on the surface-world of Althanas. As such, the cuisine they provided also unique to Haide's caverns. Observing the small succulent, green, fruit for a brief moment the tinge of a scent tickled his nostrils. Licking his lips briefly, the young Immortal took several large bites of the fruit. As his knowledge went, the fruit lacked any nomenclature or scientific identification. That mattered very little to the boy. As far as Lorenor concerned himself, The Endless said the fruit likely nutritious to the lad.

Putting his faith completely into The Endless and Dark Mother, Lorenor reacted as commanded. Biting into the meat of the fruit reminded Lorenor of biting into some defeated Predator. Yet the Immortal knew now that his raw combat prowess currently lacked. He consumed the fruit within moments pondering what to do next. Carefully, he listened to the guidance of The Endless. The Endless sang songs of patience as another's path currently made their journey inexorably to Lorenor's own future. Pondering the meaning of such lyrics Lorenor took another piece of fruit and ate of its tasty meat. Surprisingly, Lorenor found the fruit from the fungi quite appealing to his stomach. It tasted very different from any fruits growing on the tress of the surface-world as far as he could recall. The Endless commanded the lad to wait there was no other choice but to.

((Feel free to bunny Lorenor a bit when you see him in your current run))

sdwdrake
06-28-07, 10:56 AM
Crum was wondering around completely board to death waiting for his next mission/war his commander wanted him to go to. Crum's wanderings eventually brought him to the underground world of Haide. Crum wondered around the cavernous areas of this strange land for a while even ending up in a small town in this place.

Crum wandered around the town for a while, the town was much like any others you would come across on the surface, it even had a small tavern, and of course the fool of a barkeep thought him a child and wouldn't serve him any alcohol but Crum was quickly able to "talk" him into giving him what he wanted.

After about an hour of drinking he left, the alcohol that they served wasn't very strong and he had no problem continuing, his board walk around, eventually Crum finds him self at a branch in the road he had been wondering around on, and sees a human looking creature, Crum could tell something was wrong with the man because he smelled strange...

"You there do you know anywhere i can have some 'fun'?" Crum asks as he draws his longsword and starts to give it some practice swings.

Daggertail
06-28-07, 04:18 PM
My stomach growled as it protested in hunger; I should have eaten something before leaving for adventure and it probably was a while before finding adventure. It was just that food was the last thing on my mind when I ran off with nothing but clothes, two blades and some tools I've played around with.

Good thing I could see some Cergo trees in the distance. They were great trees, a hybrid of plant and fungus with tasty fruit that was considered to be really healthy and even replaced meat though if they got over ripe the fruit would release spores all over everything. I just hoped that the fruit was there and didn't ripen too much.

Coming to the grove I saw two figures. It seemed odd with one looking rather poor, wearing nothing but dirty rags and the other looking like a kid who was apprentice to a fighter. The man in rags was eating fruit, a good sign that they weren't giving off spores and the kid was probably showing off as he played with the sword.

"Oh, Um hello!" I called out as I approached, slowly and cautiously since you could never be too careful out in the Haida wilderness where wild demons and beasts roamed about though I was approaching and was going to fight instead of run away even if the odds were against me. My mood was foolish but I didn't care, I was out for adventure and if it meant getting killed it still meant not another day of washing dishes.

I wasn't looking for a fight but just some food so I picked one of the tree's fruit and squeezed to make sure it wasn't sporing and took a bite. "so what're you doing, it looks like a bad bit of highway robbery." I said with my mouth full before chewing and swallowing then letting out a giggle. "Sorry, I know it's silly to talk like that, so what're you guy's up to so far from town?"

Mutant_Lorenor
06-28-07, 04:32 PM
Before long two strangers arrived. One a boy with the scent of a fighter and the other, a girl with a scent native to the kin of Haidia. Lorenor blinked a few times looking upon both of the young ones. He'd finished off another one of the fruits before looking in the general direction of the pair. The lad pulled a sword out and practiced with the weapon. Lorenor admired the apparent skill in the boy's swings as he ate keeping silent for a brief moment. The second stranger, a girl, arrived with a sort of ultra-carefree manner. Lorenor found himself taking a liking to her without ever knowing why. He'd seen many of the demons native to Haidia. She didn't resemble their oft deformed and ugly appearances at all. I wonder what kind of species she is? The young Immortal thought. The Endless song felt like songs of approval and the boy knew that this pair, as unlikely as it seemed, were his chosen companions.

Now I will have to play the leader. Lorenor took a deep sigh for a moment knowing full well that communication wasn't his greatest skill. Still though, any chance to practice was good. Lorenor looked from Tyria's direction back over to Crum. Both warriors somehow seemed very different from another and appeared useful at the same time. Swallowing the last bit of fruit Lorenor strangely walked over to the large fungi-tree and plucked one of the flowery out-growths. He walked over to Tyria and handed her the strange gift. The flower appeared exotic and native only to Haidia's local botanical eco-system. While Lorenor waited for her to take the flower in her hands he addressed the both of them calmly. His voice raspy in texture and tone.

"I am certainly glad to have found the both of you this far into the depths of the Haidia wilderness. To answer your question, no I'm not here to try to rob some carriages like a high-way bandit. Naye, I suspect that these roads haven't been traveled in a long time anyway so such an endeavor might prove completely a waste of time. However, both of you rightfully inquired about work. THAT I can help you out with. It so happens that in that direction lurks a place that I need to get to. As both of you well know this deep in the Haidia wilderness many dangerous monsters lurk. Hopefully we can get past the monsters while avoiding needless confrontation. My main interest is getting to the ruin. The Endless tell me that great treasure await us there. It will be a chance for work for all of us." Lorenor said gallantly to both of the strangers.

"Will the two of ye be interested in coming with me to this place?"

Daggertail
07-01-07, 09:35 PM
It was an odd answer for a man to simply give me a flower for a joke. Perhaps that's one of the few things I like that one would consider appropriate for my gender. "Oh thank you." I accepted the flower and put it in my hair, the bright green flower looked a little gaudy in my hair but for the time being it was a nice change of color. Now don't get me wrong, I liked the flower but the man was not the kind I would ever consider dating, he looked old and smelled old, too old for me and really too old to go chasing women. But then again giving a flower was a nice thing, a little on the gentlemanly side.

And thankfully it wasn't some move to win me over for some semi blind date but for an adventure in ruin searching with the other fella. It was the adventure I as looking for. My tail wagged back and forth, the tip hitting and leaving gashes in the tree. It probably wasn't a nice thank you to the tree to accidentally wreck it but I had trouble containing myself.

"That's perfect!" I cheered hearing about treasure, this was the adventure I would take that would leave everyone back home as green as a slime with envy. I can see coming home with a sack full of treasure and maybe even artifacts. I saw this as the opportunity that I needed.

"Yeah it sounds great, I'd love to help with a treasure hunt as long as I get a fair share." I smiled as I fidgeted with the flower that rode in my hair, I did get a chance to do some thinking, what in the lava sea was the Endless that he referred to?

sdwdrake
07-01-07, 11:52 PM
Crum stands back and leans on a tree obviously board.

"Why should i help a fool like you?" Crum asks, even though the man, not the adventure caught his attention.

"And on that, what are you, you sure aren't human, you smell wrong. WHAT ARE YOU!" Crum roars in annoyance, the puzzle of this man annoying Crum to no end.

"Tell me or i'll kill you and this pathetic creature."

Mutant_Lorenor
07-02-07, 04:14 PM
Lorenor immediately appreciated the girl's response. She placed the flower in her hair soliciting a nod of approval from the tiny warrior. Thinking about her response for a few moments the boy agreed that her request seemed fair enough for the trip. There is an object I seek from the temple. How can I explain that to them without seeming like I'm trying to harm them in some way which I'm really not? To the boy's shock the sword-wielding warrior suddenly created a huge scene. Lorenor paused for a moment looking around, a terrible feeling growing in the pit of his stomach. In the current location they were at, some fool yelling and screaming at the top of their lungs might potentially attract impending disaster upon them. The boy knew this and he was certain that the girl knew this. It seemed clear to Lorenor that this Crum fellow didn't. He's obviously not a native to this place where everyone keeps their secrets and nobody asks questions its not very professional.

The Endless started singing a symphony of destruction. All at once, a wave of anger surfaced in the tiny frame. Lorenor stared at Crum for a long moment after the outburst opting to remain silent ever so briefly as if he met his challenge dead on. Lorenor felt his muscles tensing and contracting in the intercourse of several passing minutes. Let him wait for a solid answer, he is rash though and I respect that about him. However now is not the time to be yelling and screaming like a spoiled child. Lorenor's eyes darted about the wilderness around him. All around danger lurked from every direction, so far (And Lorenor knew they were lucky) nothing hideously large diverted its attention to the trio. Letting his anger at the boy subside for the briefest of moments Lorenor pondered killing Crum and taking his sword.

"Who I am is no concern of yours." Lorenor started, his body tensed and prepared for battle if the need arose. From whatever source it may come. "What I am is also no concern of yours. You throw around the word fool and yet you are the only one screaming in the middle of the Haidia wild so any creature within ear-shot can hear where we are. There are monsters lurking in every direction. Many of them can slay us with very little effort and our adventure would stop very short then wouldn't it?" A
dangerous expression rested on the boy's face. "I suggest you put your weapon away you clearly lack experience to use it effectively anyway. I'm pretty certain I could disarm you with minimal effort." Lorenor moved slightly off towards the right side of Crum and stopped there approximately at an angle six or seven paces away. "The girl is a native of these parts I suggest you leave her alone she has wisdom you do not. However, I like your spunk and I like your style. You could be useful to me. I am offering work. Take it or leave it. Whatever treasures we find in the temple we can split between ourselves. HOWEVER. There are certain objects I am looking for, those belong to me. Everything else is up for grabs for the two of you and you can take whatever we find from monsters on the way. What do you say to that child? Are you gonna let your ignorance get the better of you or do you want to make a PROFIT instead? Its your choice but I warn you not to underestimate either myself or that girl because of our size."

"What do you choose hot-head?" Lorenor asked placing the choice of free-will squarely on the shoulders of Crum himself.

Daggertail
07-03-07, 10:06 PM
I hardly could believe the outburst that this kid made. Was he one of the idiot types that wanted to take on the world and wouldn't be happy until he stood over everyone defeated by his hand. It was a silly rant and if I wasn't threatened by it, I would have laughed.

But I was included in the threat, seemed he wouldn't be satisfied with killing our strange friend but me as well. I placed a hand on my sword and waited. I was risking my life for adventure, not for some kid's silly ego, I was going to fight and fight dirty. The two of us could take the kid, I'm sure of it.

I listened cautiously as my tail flipped about in pre battle anxiety, I wasn't sure what this rant would end up but it seemed that the funny old guy was talkative enough to use diplomacy and did a very good job. I wasn't sure what I could add to it but I could try.

"Hey, there's no need to go killing people, if you don't want anything to do with it then you can just walk away. You really need to control your anger, it's really out of hand. We're not children playing with swords." I found myself taking the tone I often would when dealing with a drunken demon and it usually ended up with me having to hold off until the bouncers arrived. I wasn't much for saying the right thing, ever.

In order for damage control I made a friendly smile. "But we can ignore this and have a good adventure with great rewards though our strange friend is right and you can't go making all this noise, the wilderness has some really nasty predators that might notice us. So let's calm down and enjoy a good adventure, or you could go in that direction and get a nice drink." I pointed in the way I came, the bouncers could have him if he couldn't see reason.

sdwdrake
07-07-07, 05:25 PM
Crum smirks at the what the man had just said about him, "So I'm a child am I... You truly are pathetic." Crum starts to let his draconic visage start to come to the surface, his skin becomes scaly and his eyes become slits and his teeth and nails lengthen and sharpen, as he approaches the thing, and grabs him by the shirt, "I am no child." Crum says with a grin as he lifts the man off the ground easily, "I am of dragon born you fool. (ooc: Crum doesn't like to say he only half a dragon.) and i have lived many lifetimes to humans, but am still young, and about dis-arming me, I would love to see you try." Crum smirks as he puts the man back on the ground and smiles maliciously at the girl, "I am no fool."

Crum looks at the two and starts to feel excitement, made this will be fun after all, Crum thinks to himself. "Since you two are such fools I think I'll need to look after you children."

Mutant_Lorenor
07-07-07, 06:22 PM
((Even though I wasn't asked for permission in regards to that power-gamish bunny I'll allow it. Moderator take note that I cleared this cause I don't want that hurting our score))

For a brief moment the boy's eyes leveled themselves with the warriors. When that happened a deep realization hit the boy's heart. He is an enemy. The boy thought to himself. Hearing of the sword-man's origins the young immortal hissed loudly revealing a bit of his own without spoken verse. The drake-lings powerful hands lifted the boy easily off the ground. Observing the latent prowess within the drake-ling made the lad realize one thing; the sword-man's demeanor proved dangerous. However the boy realized another thing as well history contained many stories of dragons falling to the hands of clever mortals. This creature wasn't a dragon by any normal means at all. Watching the scales of the drake-ling carefully the boy realized all he needed was an eloquent plan to take the creature out.

All around them lurked weapons of applicable usage. Within the moment he stared intensely at the other lad's gaze the boy gained an understanding of things. Though the other warrior clearly owned strength, the strength lacked discipline. Abruptly placed on the ground by the swordsman spewing threats at that point the boy understood he needed to meet the challenge. No questions dared arise about the situation--only promise. Crum represented a deep threat to the young one's person. A threat the clever lad needed to match of his own accord. Feeling some pain in his thighs from the forceful Crum placed him on the ground, the lad adjusted himself. Walking towards one of the many projectile weapons on the ground the lad picked up a well-sized stone feeling the texture in his hands.

Noticing the particular lacquer of the stone the boy understood he'd picked a correct composition of the rocks nearby. Many were simple granite stone but quite a few possessed just the right mineral combination. His hand instinctively moved the stone around familiarizing itself with the texture of the rock. The stone itself must've weighed approximately 8lbs or so just enough to cover a thrown distance from point a to b. The young immortal seriously pondered knocking Crum out just then. Thoughts of violence entering his mind egged further on by The Endless. Sill though, the boy saw that Crum didn't seriously attempt to pursue the matter further. Holding the rock in his hand the boy eyed it for a long time, eyeing Crum immediately after for a few moments. To the boy, it felt like an eternity passed. Though he wanted to rip Crum limb from limb another opportunity might come later on. The boy opted to place the stone with its potent mineral composition in his travel packs instinctively understanding the secrets that lay withing the rock.

Once he pocketed the precious object the lad looked at Crum with that same dangerous look.

"You've revealed me something key about yourself lad. And I will always remain a mystery to you." The boy dusted his rags where Crum previously touched him. "I know of your kind. It doesn't matter how strong something is there is always a way to bring them down. Besides, even a dragon can fall." The boy kept his eyes locked on Crum for a moment longer. "You will be wise to remember that and keep that temper of yours under control. I will not be held responsible if something happens to you on our adventure." The lad threatened with acid in his voice. Afterwards, he turned towards the direction of the temple breaking his acid-gaze from Crum's person to look at a more pleasant image. The girl seemed quite eager to get underway and the lad couldn't blame her.

"Now that the ugly business is taken care of. Let's get moving we got plenty of ground to cover and we've already wasted enough time with this crap. Let's go." Without waiting for their consent the small warrior started to make his way towards the temple. You let your guard down drake-ling and I promise you I will kill you. The lad thought with hatred in his heart for the dragon spawn. The Endless cried songs of malice.

Daggertail
07-07-07, 08:03 PM
Why is it always the girl that has to be the one to keep a level head. I ran away from home with a do or die attitude that I was going to have an adventure or dye trying and end up between two men or boys having a nitpick over power.

Now I was agreeing with the smaller one; the strange man had more wisdom but that didn't stop him from shooting dirty looks that meant hatred. Still it seemed that maybe we could get along well enough to complete the adventure or maybe get us killed but then again I was there for adventure even if it kills me.

But still I did not want to have my friends get me killed because they wanted to be the head honcho and put everyone down. "Yeah lets get going. I don't want to waste much time here. And Crum, I do believe when you say you're not a child but please act like an adult." I really didn't know what to say but he was really messing around and even picked up the smaller guy to intimidate him.

The last thing I need is someone to behave like a muscle head and use force to push everyone else around. I really wished that my adventure would have more reliable partners but that's what fate gave me. "So which way do we go?"

sdwdrake
07-07-07, 09:27 PM
(Sry about the power game...)

Crum glares back at the man in annoyance, then at the girl, "You know nothing of this world girl, don't temp me, I really want to kill something right now." He says with a pissed of growl as he eases back into human shape, "Fucken fools." Crum Growls to himself and waits for the man to make his next move.

Mutant_Lorenor
07-09-07, 04:42 PM
((Its all right dude as I said I'll allow it. Just remember what I wrote in the message and we'll be straight.))

***Meanwhile***

Troubled never lurked very far behind the small warrior. Saturated by a dark aura the lad seemed a magnet for it. Trailing the warrior approximately half an hour or so away stalked a beast of the wild. Long spotting the boy days earlier, the small warrior's undead scent stirred unspeakable beasts. With a sensory array to rival that of any elf or drow the creature managed to stalk the small group with great ease. Almost effortlessly. A young drake, the creature's dark scales made it especially hard to spot within the back-drop of the Haidian plant-life. Dark patches of exotic plants growing from the grounds of the cavern floor sometimes reached the height of tall demons.

Truly a place of wonders, Haidia's native ecosystem easily adapted to any disaster. Regardless of which direction it came from. Currently, after the recent attempt from the Dwarves to reclaim Haidia, their society caused various plants to take on a much darker hue. Aggression was key to survival in the Haidia wilderness. Light came off the strangely growing rocks distributed all across the cavern walls, extremely high ceiling, even on the floor itself. Where the rocks didn't grow, mysterious glowing fungi and plant-life lit the way across the eternal dark. In certain parts of the caverns lurked a flowing magma field much deeper within, far away from their current position. An atmosphere lurked in the huge underground wilderness generated by the ancient plant-life. Haidia was livable for those willing to face the many dangers.

The thing stalking the haphazard trio belonged to the drake family. All though young in age the fierce predator attempted to prove itself within the ranks of its ilk. Preparing a strategy to catch the three warriors off guard, the beast stalked silently keeping its powerful energy reserves at bay. The thing planned a complete surprise assault. Observing the group for sometime now the creature saw a potential threat by the one dressed in rags. A tremendous darkness lurked within the boy's heart. A darkness that reminded him of a warrior the drakes encountered long ago. Keeping his mind on the task the Drake stalked subtly closer but keeping well out of their sensory range. The drake would only attack when the opportunity presented itself.

It knew other predators stalked them as well.

Feeling danger all around them now that the nasty business took care of itself, the boy stopped walking for a moment. Closing his eyes in deep thought he listened to the songs of The Endless. Several minutes passed making the young immortal very uncomfortable. Already, Crum, revealed himself to be potential dynamite to the team's chances of survival. So far having luck on their side, the young one knew that at anytime predators of all sorts might attack them. The boy, quick witted, knew that a potential sprint to their location might be the better choice. Thinking on the information that The Endless revealed to him the boy finally had a general direction to go on.

Having come from a generally Eastern part of the great caves, Lorenor looked back in the direction the girl came from. We can still go back. This trip won't be easy at all. The boy considered actually canceling the trip all together pondering the risks involved. Still though, an important artifact awaited his grasp at the end of the ordeal should he prove worthy for its capture. The boy looked from warrior to warrior for a brief moment. After the inspection of the motley crew a sigh briefly escaped his lips. The Endless gave him an answer. The boy pointed in the general direction they were heading, MUCH deeper into Haidia's wild lands. Where dangerous monsters lurked and contraptions pre-dating the Demon War.

"Unfortunately our direction is that way. We are to go deep into the Haidia wilderness where our target awaits." The boy paused for a moment. "I know I'm asking a lot of both of you and I understand if you want to bail out now. A trip into the deeper areas of Haidia is never a pleasant thing. If you want to leave, now is your chance."

He asked but a part of him knew they were in this thing to the end--he hoped.

Daggertail
07-10-07, 08:50 PM
I had hoped that Crum had moved beyond threats but it didn't seem the case. He wasn't too subtle that he wanted me to shut up or he'd lose it and kill me. Didn't help that he was able to alter his form with armored scales. I guess it'd be a tough fight if he did try to kill me and I wasn't sure that I would be the victor. So I decided that I'd have to ignore the dragon boy until he cooled off and I wouldn't have to worry about being chased around the burnt land for saying something I shouldn't.

I just hoped he wouldn't do something to get himself killed and me with him. Haidia is a dangerous place and I always knew to be careful and even in my lust for adventure was the kind that was rather dangerous in itself, I was going to be careful. I wanted to live adventure, not be killed.

I smiled at the man in rags. He was definitely a strange one, having more presence than one would guess and having wisdom you'd never expect from his appearance. He was a enigma that I couldn't solve but he seemed friendly and had an idea how a lady was to be treated.

"Hey, no worries. If the adventure is going to be tough it meant the prize will be much more sweet." My tail twitched a bit as I moved my hands to support my head. "I bet no one got the good stuff and we can enjoy the real treasure."

Yes this would be the answer, no more scrubbing tables and serving drinks only to be groped by rough hands. I was no longer going to be some wench but an adventurer.

sdwdrake
07-10-07, 10:28 PM
Crum has seen enough of this landscape to understand the dangers adherent in this area, but overall liked this place better than any other place he has been so far, there was always some 'fun' to be had around the next corner.

"Just don't get in my way and you will live to see that 'treasure' you seek." Crum grunts in response to he and starts to follow the strange man and making an attempt to grab the girl planning to drag her along with him as to not let her fall behind or chicken out.

Mutant_Lorenor
07-14-07, 12:53 AM
Lurking nearby towards their west sat another local threat. Disgruntled rogue demons searched for something to occupy their current state of devastation and loss. A recent uprising at the hands of the Dwarves forced an eviction that not many seemed prepared to accept. To make matters worse when the demons attempted to move out of Haidia into new territory, a fierce opposition force from Raiera met them in kind. The battle ended in a one-sided fashion forcing the demon-kin back into the wilderness. They didn't know that the vampires faced a similar fate. So now, the Dwarves claimed control over the wild-lands of Haidia--but not for long.

One way or the other the Dwarves would surely fall. Well equipped, the rogue demons spotted a small adventuring party. The pondered to themselves as to who might be so crazy to travel this deep in the Haidia wilds alone, without a small army? The group of demons appeared to be six in number. Bitter and looking to pick a fight, they slowly started making their way towards the group of adventurers.

Walking forward, the boy listened to the songs of The Endless. Treachery and its partner, Danger, lurked in every shadow all around them. This, the boy knew to be true. Keeping a watchful eye on the surrounding areas, the boy was prepared to run if something really bad caught up with them. Still though, only the normal scent of local flora and fauna filled the still air. No breeze flowed around them at all. Late evening's hours fell around them stirring even more threats. Haidia seemed like the one place besides Salvar that Lorenor might call sanctuary from the punishing stare of the sun. His thoughts focused on the task at hand, he allowed the Endless to guide them.

It seemed like many hours passed. Suddenly, a harsh stench of sulfur filled the air around the group. The smell seemed much more potent than Tyria's scent and the boy became deeply concerned. He turned towards the scent and saw a group of warriors stalking towards them. They seemed like well-armed Orken. (Orcs basically) There looked to be approximately six or seven of them, the boy couldn't quite tell. When they were within range, the leader spoke.

"Give us all your valuables little runt and you might live!" The leader said.

Lorenor'd been itching for a fight.

"LIKE HELL!" And the boy rushed towards the warrior.

Daggertail
07-14-07, 08:20 PM
Why can't people just enjoy the journey, Crum was in such a rush that before I even got to moving he was dragging me by my hand and I had to almost run to stay standing. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't let go and would drag my body even if I was laying down and that wouldn't be pleasant.

So I followed with a sigh of defeat as I scampered along with an aching wrist. This adventure was not turning out the way I had hoped; I wanted daring do and mysterious ruins and maybe even a heroic fight but instead I got a led by the hand like a child.

It was a relief when the the bandits showed up and demanded anything valuable with the leader talking to Our strange companion. A few of the underlings came to me and Crum and started to snicker.

I Remembered they're ugly mugs from my days as a barmaid. Pathetic demons that couldn't charm an ugly slut so they tried to bribe the owner to give them a night alone with me. He refused and kicked them out. I found myself looking away for if they recognized me there would be a problem.

"Hey! I know that girl!" One revealed to his companions that he knew me, great I was going to have to fight. "Funny that you came out all this way lady. You only have weaklings to help you now." His dumber friend chuckled in agreement at the statement. "Hey boss! have them leave this coward behind, I want her!" He called out and looked to his boss and then turned drawing his blade, his boss was under attack. "I want her Alive!" He screamed as he raised his sword.

"Great, why did it have to be these losers." I rightfully complained while shaking my head. "Well Crum, I guess we get to see if you're worth the talk." I giggled and wish I had time and a partner to take bets on who would win but instead I only got to parry a low strike by the idiot that still wanted me in his bed.

sdwdrake
07-20-07, 10:46 PM
Crum had smelled the orcs before they had even shown them self's their repulsive smell had clotted the air, allowing Crum to easily tell where they are and how many there where. Crum smirks as the orc grabs the girl and turns to face it, "Let go of her, shes in my protection."

The orc gives Crum a quick glare "What you think you can beat ..." that was all the orc could say before Crum's powerful fist slams into it's chest, a grin on Crum's face showing that he was starting to have fun, "Now die." Crum laughs as he quickly reaches up and grabs it's throat and starts to squeeze slowly applying more and more pressure, his claws extend slightly and pierces it's neck, "DIE!!" Crum cries as he rips out it's throat, blood sprays all over his face and chest, a grin of glee on his face, Crum made sure not a drop hit the girl.

"Now get back, this fight will be over soon." Crum smirks as he draws his sword.

Mutant_Lorenor
07-21-07, 06:04 PM
However, what Crum -thought- happened, didn't. In reality, the Orcs weren't dumb or stupid at all--they merely acted that way to confuse their enemies and lull them into thinking they were. Using up his attack of opportunity, the warrior in all actuality gave up the element of surprise. Since he revealed his position, the warrior that Crum attempted to attack became fully alerted to the incoming drake-ling. Instead of allowing himself to take a hit, the skilled warrior easily side-stepped Crum's feeble grabbing attempt.

The warrior simply left Crum in the dust. Drawing their MITHRIL swords now, each of the six warriors started making their ways towards their target, our group of unlikely heros. Greedy eyes fixated themselves upon Tyrias' person. But something happened that they didn't take into account. Since they focused all of their attention upon Crum and Tyria, they lost sight of the small warrior named Lorenor. Moving closely to one of the Orcs now, he drew the large rock he'd obtained for himself moments earlier.

Actually having the attack of opportunity on his opponent, the boy leapt out of the shoulder-deep under-brush he ran through at the moment. Using the sturdy rock as bludgeoning weapon, he swung in the general direction of the orc's head. Suddenly feeling a burst of wind in his general direction, the Orc looked up with fear in its eyes. A loud CARUNCH sound enhanced the moment of impact. Not knowing the properties of the rock's mineral make-up, the orc went down hard like a sack of bricks. A serious injury lurked on the warrior's head where the impact point was.

Using his supernatural abilities now, Lorenor landed swiftly next to the body of the orc. In a moment, his lower jaw opened up and he took advantage of the fallen body. He spotted that the man wore a mithril vest and he wanted to steal the equipment from the warrior. He knelt down and began to tear at the exposed flesh of the warrior's neck. Sounds of eating commenced. The other Orcs looked upon the small warrior in sheer terror as if they were looking at the Devil himself.

Turning their attention quickly towards Crum and Tyria, one of the warriors nearest to Crum swiftly swung his mithril sword at Crum's head hoping for an impact. The others stayed put investigating the nature of the size of the small warrior's party. Worried that others might be out there. Unknown to them all, a dark predator made his way closer to them enticed by the blood-letting in the air.

sdwdrake
08-12-07, 08:24 PM
Crum cries out in rage as he stumbles past the orc he slightly looses balance, one of his hands landing heavily on the dirt path, he scoops up a handful of dirt hiding the dirt in his hand from sight Crum stands back to fully examine his opponent. Crum glances around quickly, and realizes that what he had smelled a while a go where rotting goblin corpses, "Shit..." Crum grumbles, as he starts to truly respect his opponents, they had tricked him quite well, but not this time, but they had lost their opportunity for killing him, a slight smile crosses Crum's face. they where gonna pay for what they did.

Crum watches as the closest orc swings at him and barely at the last moment dodged his swing and makes another grab at the orc again it dodged him, but Crum was expecting the dodge and spins himself around as he let himself start to fall and throws the handful of dirt into the orc's eyes and gets a very satisfying scream of pain and rage. Crum was up in an instant and tackled the orc to the ground and starts to grapple with it, Crum and the orc where very near equal in strength and weight, but Crum's smaller form gave him the advantage to be able to get around behind the orc and start to crush his throat.

The orc lets out a cry of rage then slumps dead as it's throat is crushed between Crum's powerful hands, behind Crum a growl of anger as the next orc starts to advance on Crum, Crum lets out a quick curse to whatever god he could think of at the time and scrambles to his feet grabbing his opponents weapon as he goes and starts to back away from his opponent. Wrestling with the last orc had tired Crum out, if he had to fight another he knew he would surly die...

Mutant_Lorenor
08-17-07, 09:39 PM
((I'll allow that one dude we need to move this forward. Sorry for my delay))

Because of Crum's sudden attack, the Orc fell. However, a further problem revealed itself. Lorenor stood up from his fresh kill and looked at Crum's general direction. An event that the small warrior couldn't plan for started to erupt all around them. Chaos. Feeling a strange energy flowing out from the corpse laying next to him, the body suddenly stood up bearing the marks of The Infected. Glowing red energy flowed from the Orc's eyes and a terrible series of blotches appeared upon the poor soul's flesh. The Infected took one look at Lorenor, and then ran towards the rest of the Orcs.

Throughout this sudden madness a new detail revealed itself. More Orken were surrounding the duo than previously expected. Instead of 5-6 warriors, a total of THIRTY powerfully trained warriors stood up from the tall outgrowth of algea plant-life. Lorenor saw this immediately. He didn't like Crum, but he needed the lads help. "CRUM! We better get the hell out of here!" He yelled towards the warrior.

Lorenor watched the unfolding scene and saw his prey rush towards one of his fellow Orcs and physically rip him apart with augmented strength. The techno-virus passing from Lorenor to his victim worked quickly to drive the warrior insane upon reanimation. Whether or not Crum heard him, Lorenor started to back away from the attackers and make a mad-sprint towards the temple. He didn't really care of Crum couldn't keep up with him or not.

Taking one last look behind him, Lorenor saw one other detail. A large shadowy suddenly burst from the wild. Lorenor's eye suckets went wide with terror as he saw the thing bursting out from the shadows. A terrible drake with black scales emerged and started to attack the small army of gathered Orkens. They reacted by ignoring Lorenor and his companions for a moment.

The boy didn't need to think twice as to what to do next. He took this chance to bolt through the wild in the direction of the temple. The Drake roared as it worked to destroy its targets, the ones who were harassing his chosen meal; Lorenor. Feeling fire pumping from his lungs, Lorenor ran until his legs felt like dead weight and he kept running some more. Bounding through the wild, the small warrior finally saw the temple in front him growing larger with each yard he covered...

...He only hoped that at least Crum made out safely from the battle or he'd have to complete the rest of the journey alone.

sdwdrake
08-18-07, 08:19 PM
Crum watches in surprise as an army more of these powerful orc warriors emerge from the surrounding area, and hears his ally call out to him to get the hell out of there, Crum needed no help to tell him that this battle was going south fast, "Shit." Crum curses in rage as he releases his half-dragon form and takes off after his ally at all speed. Crum risks a quick glance back at the orcs and watched with glee as a black drake emerges and starts to attack the accursed orcs, Crum couldn't help but cry in glee as the orcs die.

Crum soon found himself quickly approaching a temple of some sort, his ally running full tilt towards it. Crum smirks as he drops low beside his ally and Crum could tell he was starting to get tired, "Yo ya look like ya need a rest." Crum smirks as he holds out his hand for his ally to grab onto if he wanted. Crum knew that the challenges ahead would be very difficult and that having an exhausted partner would only hamper his ability's and most likely get them both killed.

The temple looming ahead was going to be alot of fun...

Mutant_Lorenor
08-20-07, 11:41 PM
The world quickly passed by the vampire in his dead sprint. Paying very little attention to the surroundings, Lorenor concentrated on his life! As a vampire, his undead body could take much more abuse than most normal entities. Yet, the sprint took its toll on the creature's lungs. With the Haidian wilderness passing him by, the boy ran through large out-growth of algae making his way towards the temple. A wind blew through the caverns, traveling through the strange atmosphere within the gigantic caverns.

When Lorenor's feet started to hurt through his boots, the boy stopped about several feet in front of the large temple. The structure loomed ahead now, built by the ancient vampires of old. Using old vampire architecture the thing had an almost organic feeling to it.

The structure looked like a giant growth atop the field of algae. A fast breeze picked up from the west and Lorenor turned towards that direction. Something large was coming from the distance. Feeling the wind knocked out of his lungs and gasping heavily, the boy looked up at Crum nodding to his suggestion. "We have no time to rest, we'd better KEEP MOVING!"

Lorenor saw an entrance to the structure that was recently opened. The boy thought that was a little TOO easy for their part. Probably traps of all sorts awaited them inside the temple. Then, a loud roar from the distance filled the air with a vibration and Lorenor felt the heat crackling through the air. He sucked up his personal feelings and LUNGED at Crum's person in an attempt to knock him into the algae undergrowth. A large beast burst from the darkness overhead with a menacing yell. It flew towards a nearby outcrop of rocks and perched its form upon the crown of the rocks staring down at Lorenor and his companion hungrily. Lorenor waited to see if he'd knock himself into Crum for the sakes of hiding, or if the warrior might move to the side.

He stole a glance to the temple entrance. So close, if only they could...

sdwdrake
08-21-07, 08:09 PM
Crum smiles, they where almost at the temple when a roar catches Crum off guard. Suddenly the kid lunged at Crum and the surprise of the move and the surprise of the roar enabled the child to knock Crum to the ground. Crum's normal reaction to being attacked is to retaliate but the large beast ahead of them was a good reason to not fight his only ally around.

Crum glares at the kid, "That kinda hurt ya know." Crum growls quietly to his ally, "Ya could have warned me." Crum knew that the kid probably just saved his life, but the thought of a mere child knocking him down annoyed him to no end. Crum kept a good eye on their new enemy.

Crum knew that a head on attack probably wouldn't be advisable, "So whats the plan...? I'm all ears." Crum knew that working together would be the best route to surviving.

Mutant_Lorenor
08-21-07, 09:50 PM
Lorenor crouched low into the algae growth and looked at Crum's person for a moment. He turned to eye the menacing black Drake knowing there was little they could do. Thinking quick, he spotted the nearest possible entrance to the almost organic structure. The walls sloped at odd angles. It almost had a vibration to the walls that made it seem like a breathing organ. Lorenor sensed the power flowing from the temple and wondered about why that entrance was opened but didn't give it a second thought. He assumed the matter a blessing of the Dark Mother.

"We're going to crawl on our stomachs the rest of the ways and HOPE beyond hope that--"

Before Lorenor could finish a group of pissed off Demons stormed the huge black Drake. Lorenor watched in awe as the group flanked the creature and started throwing spears and all manner of ranged weapons at it. Lorenor nodded towards the entrance while looking at Crum. This was their chance! Lorenor crawled quickly not bothering to check twice for Crum's person. He assumed the lad either followed him or didn't follow him. The sounds of battle erupted all around the boy. He saw the large Drake engaging the Orcs with supernatural skill.

Lorenor felt a shudder of respect for such power go up and down his spine. He moved quickly towards the entrance and finally made his way there. A deep angry howl filled the air almost causing the boy's ear drums to explode from such a sound. The boy didn't bother looking back. The temperature in the air changed, Lorenor smelled a powerful odor and suddenly, a burst of power from the Drake's maw ripped the algae field apart. All that were caught by the Drake's breath weapon were immediately slain.

Lorenor tasted blood and death in the air now. Still though, the energy released from the Drake was someplace off to his west and never made it towards his person. Crawling quickly through the field, the boy finally made it to the entrance, quickly got up staying low, and ran the rest of the way into the structure. He only stopped when he was a good way into the hallway.

He hoped that Crum was still with him.

sdwdrake
09-11-07, 08:16 PM
Crum quickly reverts to human form and begins to follow his ally into the temple, but always keeping an eye on the dragon especially when it used it's breath weapon, Crum has been trying to figure out how to use it himself for a while and so he watches carefully as the dragon struck.

Crum grins evilly as the orcs are dissolved in the dragons acid breath, if only i could figure out how to do that, Crum thinks as he crawls forward, ever getting closer to the temple.

Mutant_Lorenor
09-12-07, 11:40 AM
((Small bunny))

Taking several gasps of breath as he looked about the hallway, he saw his ally entering the temple after several moments passed. Lorenor nodded to Crum as his companion entered. He looked about in the hallway and saw that there were vampiric motifs in the hallway and it was a long structure. It went north for several yards into the main compound of the building and all the walls had the same organic feeling to it. Lorenor could see the walls writhing underneath the archaic energies that powered this mysterious building up.

Focusing on his senses for a moment, the ghoul felt a device hidden near the entrance, the device gave off the image of a trigger. Looking for it, the small warrior found that the device had been moved and wedged with something to attempt to keep the door open. The ghoul pulled the small stone away from the lever and tossed it to the side. He pulled the switch and noticed with satisfaction that the door closed by itself, shutting them away from the battle going on in the outside world. Lorenor looked at Crum for a moment and nodded to his companion. He suddenly missed having Tyria around, but it couldn't be helped if she decided to break tail when the going got tough.

Deciding on what to do next, Lorenor looked over to his companion.

"We're here, you ready to move on? Let's take this thing step by step, someone was already here before us. We might have to beat them when we come across them. There is a high chance they are still here."

sdwdrake
10-02-07, 10:24 AM
Crum follows his ally into the temple without any problems his ally seemed to have a number of interesting abilities, and could some how tell someone had arrived before them, a smile crosses his face at the thought of another fight, “Sounds like fun.” He says, he had a bit of annoyance at the thought of his one other ally, the girl turning tail and fleeing the last fight.

“So, which way from here?” Crum asks bored to death because there was no more fighting going on at the moment, and having no idea of where they where going.

Mutant_Lorenor
10-02-07, 01:36 PM
"We head straight ahead."

The ghoul said following his instincts and what The Endless told him. Somehow, The Endless sang louder inside the temple than outside. Lorenor felt that this was the first time that The Endless sang so loudly in his head. He wondered what it could possibly mean. At this point in his life he still had no name for The Endless, only that they were a voice in his head. He often waved it aside as no more than another hallucination. But during his encounter with the bandits outside and the drake, the voices grew more powerful worrying the ghoul greatly. He had no idea what any of it could mean.

The walls around them had many hieroglyphs etched in. Stories of various points in Haidia's history emerged before the ghoul's eyes. He stopped to investigate the clues that were written all around him. The hallway had enough space for both of them to walk side by side if needed. The ghoul stared at the walls for a moment as the history of Haidia emerged. He learned that there was a great exodus many ages ago. This started the Demon Wars as the Demons attempted to take over the Surface World.

An allegiance of surface worlders gathered in a desperate attempt to defeat the Demon Horde. Lorenor looked further down the hallway and saw that the allegiance of men barely defeated the Demon Horde and forced them to go back into Haidia, humiliated. The ghoul developed a newfound respect for the Demons. He continued to walk forward studying the hieroglyphs and learning of Haidia's history as he went. There were many ancient stories on the wall and the ghoul knew it would take some time to actually explore all of them. He managed to get the basic gist of Haidia's history.

He sensed the impatience in his partner and stopped his exploration for the time being. "I apologize this is my homeland and a chance to learn the history of my homeland was too good to pass up. I didn't mean to make you wait anymore than necessary. We'll proceed. I was trying to see if there were any clues on the walls with regards to this temple. So far I'm not seeing any. This section of the temples seems to be devoted to Haidia's past and I couldn't resist the chance to study at least a little."

It was then that Lorenor caught a faint something in the air. A scent. It was a scent that he hadn't noticed was there before in his distraction. The ghoul chastised himself for a moment and then decided that it was time to head forward. Regardless of his partners' following him or not, the young immortal made his way forward. He had something to go on now. His senses were tapped so he made sure that he could sense any hidden switches or traps that would bar their progress. So far, there hadn't been any such machinations--yet.

Dirge
11-06-07, 12:41 PM
Vigo was smiling. It was never a good sign for the depraved and beautiful man to smile. Nothing ever good resulted from him being happy. However, it was not a defenseless youth being torn apart, or even a small animal being toyed with by his cruel spells that brought light to his half elven face. Instead his hands were stroking crumbling walls, fingers tracing runes of an ancient demonic script. More like it – dug deeply and crudely into the walls – were spread across the piece that the sorcerer was looking at. They were disconnected, disjointed, and a good majority split by the wear of time and elements.

However, he had come for knowledge, for power. The runic inscription was extremely difficult to make sense of. The language of the old demonic tongue was a guttural one, but the written version was no less crude. A symbol written by one demon could appear, and in all reason, be completely different than a symbol another wrote, but they would mean the same thing. The dirge mage, a sorcerer of disease and decadence, had picked up the written language of the common demons and the root as well. But what he had studied first were written in ink, taught by a being who was not a demon… a wandering scholar from Corone. He had furthered his study by looking over scenes of the bloody demise of demons, notes written in blood on the walls of the Haidian burrows.

What he had come for was power, and what he was reading promised it. It was a small description of a powerful series of spells. Apparently, he thought as he attempted to make out a cracked rune, the sorcerers of the old demons did not care for books and written notes. Instead they wrote whatever came to mind, whenever it came to mind, even if the walls were the only medium for their thoughts. He retraced the rune, passing a finger over the cracks and picturing what it would have appeared as.

Deep within the temple, an extremely difficult place to get through, power waited those willing to grasp hold of their own destiny and fight for it. Vigo Drak Ruinn, a half elf who desired nothing more than the power to dominate others, was one of the few willing to take what was so treacherously guarded. He had slipped through the roving patrols of orken, snuck away from demons that roamed the wildlands, and had moved into the temple with little problems. Being of half elven decent offered the man the sharp ears, slit eyes, and artistic grace of the elven people. Once in, he had not ventured far. It would take too much time to scout before safe passage could be promised, time he did not have.

His slit eyes closed into a squint. His jade eyes were brilliant, despite the lack of sun and the eerily red glow of the caverns acting as the only light. He brushed aside loose strands of silken brown hair, pushing them behind his only slightly tipped ears to keep them away from his high cheekbones. Resting before him was his only visible form of defense, a silver topped cane that concealed a simple steel blade within it. He was far from defenseless though, but never let on.

With an opposite hand he tugged at the foppish end of his long white shirt, pulling the extended cuffs further out from beneath his brown long coat. He was a dandy from what anyone could see, but from his tone and physical distinction he was hardly without knowledge of combat.

Mutant_Lorenor
11-09-07, 07:28 PM
((Moderator note: I'm writing Sdw out of this quest, thank you))

Lorenor slowly examined the wall learning the history of his people, the vampires of Haidia. Runes and etchings were carved into the wall that somehow made sense to the ghoul for whatever reason. With the Endless in his physical shell, Lorenor was able to decipher the meanings behind the symbols as if he's walked these hallways before. As if he was meant to be here.

Time passed. Lorenor no longer felt Crum's presence nearby. Stealing a glance in the last known direction of his "friend", the ghoul sighed noticing that Crum ran off or was missing. He probably fell victim to a trap or decided to simply just run away like Tyria did. Oh well, good riddance. That's more spoils for me at the end of this thing. Lorenor thought to himself. He'd seen enough about the history of his people that he was satisfied with his progress. The language of the ancient vampires was one that few living knew.

It seemed natural to Lorenor. The first few syllables were difficult to translate into the common tongue, but The Endless assisted the ghoul in this archaic task. Moving further down the hallway, the ghoul moved deeper into the temple. Vaguely, he sensed another presence further down the hallway owning a scent he'd never come across before.

Could the Orken already be inside? No this is a more elegant scent, there is something to this. Gathering his wits about himself, the ghoul pulled the rock out of his personal packs and moved forward. He wasn't well armed yet, but the mutant knew he needed to be clever to survive. Creeping down the hallway like a stalker the ghoul covered enough ground on his own to spot a presence dead ahead. A figure with a mysterious halo about his form. The ghoul noticed the lithe figure of some sort of Elf. Proceeding forward, he kept the rock at a hidden angle from the front of his person. He'd stolen some weapons from the Orken but decided he didn't need to reveal these just yet.

"Ah it seems I've found another fellow tomb raider. Might a fellow like myself inquire what one such as you is doing in a place like this? Maybe you are in need of assistance?" He clutched at the rock carefully as he studied the strange figure before him and prepared for battle if the need arose.

Dirge
01-23-08, 02:28 PM
Startled by the words of another, the halfling turned to face the direction the voice came from. The disgusting aberration of a creature that came to his vision was something altogether unwelcoming. It was hunched, like a predator stalking, eyes of the deepest amethyst met his own, but they were set far back in the thin face of the stalker and completely devoid of pupils. Vigo could not help but compare them to a pair of twin gems, set heavily into a grotesque statue. He allowed his eyes to slip, slide down the things visage and to the tattered clothing. It was a lowly thing, but held a sense of power about it, a look that defined its characteristics and intelligence.

“Creepy fucker, aren’t you?” The dirge mage said with a smirk smeared across his sharp face. He shifted and turned his body just enough to allow him to draw his weapon if necessary, and keep an angle so that if any projectile was to be thrown, or a sudden lunge, he could dodge. It was purely precautionary, but within the dank and ruined halls it was unknown what could be lurking, or what its intentions would be. Haidia was not the most promising of places to visit, its denizens far from friendly, and Vigo would take no chances.

However, despite his caution he put on a pleasant façade, the smirk remaining. “I am searching for spells of use, if you are so truly curious… these demon bastards have some wicked magics that they once practiced. It is simply a matter of attempting to unlock them, though the runic scrawl they use is quite difficult to decode.”

The half-elf took a step towards the man, cocking his head in a friendly manner and let his eyes appear soft. “The name is Vigo,” he said with a respectful nod. The thing had the look of a dangerous opponent if it came to that, and he wanted the upper hand and no surprises. The step forward was one too many though. The thing had not only the sense of power, but a powerfully horrid stench that surrounded it. Vigo closed one watering eye, his enhanced elven senses screaming at him with the beasts scent tearing through him. “Who are you? And why are you stalking these broken lands? Surely not for the pure… pleasure of it…”

Mutant_Lorenor
01-28-08, 01:46 PM
Words. They were all around the broken ghoul's peripheral vision. On the walls, symbols of archaic quality were scribbled in what appeared to be sanguine graffiti. Lorenor allowed his eyes to study the stranger for a moment, he seemed like a fellow explorer. The stranger had a mysterious halo of energy that was like a signature of the magi. Heh, a magus. Most curious indeed. The air rippled with the power and age of the building they were currently in. Lorenor observed the man for a moment longer and nodded in response to the individual.

"The name's Lorenor. These vile lands are my home. I was born not too far away from here. I'm looking for something of great interest in to me in this temple. It was something called to me, one might say. I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind my companionship? I can pay you some gold. But not much, one hundred gold plus whatever objects we might come across that are of interest to your research."

There were clues spoken about the supernatural capacity of the ghoul. He was capable of sensing things on a higher level than most. One of his greatest talents. The ghoul went quiet for a moment as he waited for the handsome man's response. He didn't mind the harsh words for he was used to receiving disdain from people by then. Lorenor avoided towns because of his appearance. The bastards of Haidia shunned Lorenor like the rest of Althanas shunned them. And still, his people were known to exist in the deeper parts of the Haidian wild.

Lorenor thought about what that mean. Was he really connected to the vampires of Haidia or was he something more? Lorenor wasn't sure anymore at this point in the game. He'd only been wandering about Haidia for a few months before this adventure dropped on his lap. Taking a glance behind the magus Lorenor stole a peak at the corridor ahead. So far, they were unnoticed and the hallway remained empty. All he could do was wait for the stranger's response. After all, it was better to work together.

"What do you say fellow?" Lorenor asked. "Do we have a deal?"

Dirge
01-28-08, 06:17 PM
He seemed a man, not an ‘it’, but that did not stop the sorcerer from considering the amalgamation of shadow and man before him as a creature more than being. Vigo’s lips curled into a smirk like glint, offering the most sincere smile he could under the circumstances. In a dilapidated building once a demonic stronghold, surrounded by possible enemies, peace and happiness for discovering a strange adventurer was the last thing the halfling could assume.

“Well met Lorenor,” he said as he adjusted the end of his foppish shirt. His eyes were no longer on the man before him, but instead looking at the cryptic scrawl that played across the shattered walls. “I need no gold, no reward from another who is seeking something here as well. If I can find anything of use, I will have no issues. If I can’t, then I came of my own will, not yours…”

Vigo shrugged off the thought. Lorenor’s money would be useful, but taking money from someone for no reason did not make sense. Greed was the core of his soul, the core of his very being, but it was not always a monetary reward that garnered his interest. In the case before him, it was the promise of power, of prestige, the power of fear that he could command over others.

“We have a deal. I doubt this will be easy… getting to this point was a task, attempting to slink through the demonic predators that waited outside. I can only imagine what things wait in this place.” Vigo turned away from the wall, looking forward to the depths of the building. The path through the hallways was poorly lit by the ember glow of the Haidian depths, casting shifting shadows that remained stoic and impassive unlike those of the surface world.

Disconcerting as the shadows were, they were merely material. The dirge mage knew they presented no threat, but what they hid, what drifted within them was what he worried about. Without another word to the enigmatic man he began to move further. Scratching drifted through the walls, reporting the presence of life, be it rodents or something far more devious. The sharp ears of the half-elf focused on them, his eyes touching the walls to watch for holes that would allow for whatever it was to find him…

Mutant_Lorenor
01-28-08, 06:53 PM
And they were off. Lorenor, with his rags flowing about his person in a patchwork pattern, followed Vigo allowing the man to take the lead. All around them, the symbols of the Haidian demons were taunting him as he observed them casually. Symbols initially written by Demons and Vampires lurked upon the wall and a few of them made sense. "It's Haidia's early history. In case you were wondering Vigo. We're only at the entrance of the codex. This place is one giant recording of history...with possibly other great treasures lurking within it. I went through a lot trouble to get to this place, a few companions turned tail and decided to become cowards."

Lorenor's glowing eyes could see perfectly in the dark. His senses were acute, capable of sensing remote things within the grid that most people would've missed. His companion was an Elf. Normally, Lorenor didn't like the arrogant lot, but there was something about this Elf that he did like. Something bout the Elf's demeanor struck Lorenor that this man could become a great potential ally. Even a follower.

The ghoul crept around in the darkness of the temple, hoping that his companion would be all right with the the low lighting. He knew that the Elves had superior senses from the ancient scriptures located in the vaults of the vampire's cities. Loernor's boot falls created no sound. He walked with a casual purpose, also examining the walls, and the floor beneath them. All of the pieces of the structure were part of the very same codex. Many of the symbols gave Lorenor a migraine headache as he observed them. Some of them were just the gibberish scrawling of lunatics. Others were series pieces of history. A famous battle here, an important leader there. Accounts of the Demon War sporadically imprinted on the walls. Each new event in history signaled that they were descending deeper into the building. Lorenor felt the hallway take a sharp turn downward and move, as if, along a hill. Lorenor paused for a moment to see is his newly acquired companion was still with him.

"What do you think of the history lessons? Are you able to decode the pretty puzzle?" Lorenor asked.

Dirge
01-28-08, 08:31 PM
Vigo listened with an uncaring ear to the drivel of his following companion. The man spoke of history, spoke of a codex of the past. It did not interest him in the least. He was not there to learn about the bastard children of Althanas, or their vampiric friends. The demons meant less to him than the free roaming creatures that were allowed to drift through the auburn world. The goblinoids that wandered the underground world were mere stains on the glory and dominance the demonic kin and the vampiric nations once held. Their sway had been crushed, for whatever reason the halfling could care less, and in the wake of their destruction they had left a plethora of information for the taking.

As the pair continued they followed the walls of writing, allowing Vigo to catch a phrase here, a word there. None of it leapt out at him though, none of it was dominatingly powerful or offered anything more than a history of a race that was obviously inferior. He scoffed at the rumors he had heard of the ‘great’ Haidian races. None seemed powerful, especially if the ancient crumbling citadel was the lasting lineage they had to prove it.

“What a waste of space. This place could have been used for so much more, could have given the world a wicked taste of bitter power that none would have expected from underground. Instead they dwelt in the shadows, hid in their underground caves, gave themselves over to the state of disgust and stupidity.”

His disdain was unwarranted, for the true history of the Haidian demons and their rise to the surface centuries ago was something unfamiliar to the man. He had never heard of the uproar that the surfaced demons had caused throughout Corone. If he had, however, he would have scoffed even more. Despite their untold years of domination over the weak humans and pathetic wood elves, they had been torn apart and forced to return by an elf of Alerar…

“The pretty puzzle is ancient, and crude. This scrawl is older than anything I have ever seen, sporadic. It is a wonder that any have remembered any of what is written on this wall.” The voice of the halfling was low, quiet and ensuring that it did not pervade the halls to unseen ears. “I can make out words, some bases and roots of words used now, but they are less than perfect. The walls are crumbling, making it even more difficult to understand what may or may not have been meant.”

“What is your purpose here?” Vigo made sure to look at the man, made sure to make eye contact with his body. If he flinched, if he moved in any way that suggested that what he said was not what he meant the half-elf would let his words attack relentlessly. “You never said why you were exploring, just that you were a creature of this horrid underground. And you are not a demon, do not appear to be a vampire, but the Thayne know that those ugly bastards can easily be whatever form they want…”

Mutant_Lorenor
01-28-08, 11:50 PM
As the pictures etched on the wall became more intricate the deeper they went into the edifice, Lorenor noticed indentations on the floor. He guessed that some of these markers were placed there either by erosion or manually. Some of them might be traps. Allowing his senses to relax so that he could feel devices hidden underground, and avoided these mechanisms with a light, steady foot. As he walked his companion was primarily silent but then started to talk. The ghoul listened intently to what Vigo said.

Then he was asked a series of questions. As Lorenor concentrated on hopping over the panels that were trapped, the ghoul looked over at Vigo's general direction. "As I said earlier, I am looking for an object of great interest to me. I am here as part of a pilgrimage of my deity N'Jal. Matters I don't want to speak too much about for obvious reasons. But to answer your question fairly, I am looking for something. Most importantly, I am looking for a book of great interest to my personal growth as a follower of N'Jal."

The ghoul hoped his response would be adequate enough. In general, the world viewed the followers of N'Jal in a negative light. And well they should for the children of N'Jal were the followers of the darkness incarnate. His eyes observed Vigo in return as the man seemed to stare him down. He didn't flinch in anyway whatsoever, he simply stared back. Glowing purple energy slightly lit up the darkness as if they were torches of amethyst fire.

He stared back at Vigo for a good few minutes. Once he felt that he'd gotten his point across the ghoul went back to his exploration of the tunnels. A particular group of symbols caught his eyes as they seemed to be etchings of the temple itself. This section of the wall seemed to be a history of the construction of the temple. Lorenor analyzed the layout of the temple for a moment trying to study the various patterns located on the walls and floor beneath him. Once he was satisfied he looked to Vigo.

"Let's go Vigo." He asked of his companion. Then he started to walk further down the hallway. The deeper they walked, the further underground they went. And suddenly, Lorenor began to catch an unwelcome scent about fifty feet into the structure...

Dirge
01-29-08, 03:40 PM
The beautiful macabre smile darted across Vigo’s sharp visage. The beast had met his eyes, had met them firmly. There was no sign of weakness, no sign of fear. Oh what the thing had in store should he slip, what amazingly wicked spells the halfling could summon that he doubted even the ghoul would not fear by the end. Though conflict was at the edge of his mind, screaming for release, tearing at his sense of reason, he held back. It was not time, there would undoubtedly be something in the pathways that would require his intricate spells.

“N’jal?” He rolled the name on the tip of his tongue, thoughts of bitterness shifting through his mind. The name was cursed, was spoken in whispers carried by the shadows of society. Yet Lorenor resolutely and fearlessly spoke the dark goddesses name, without so much as a twitch of his ghastly face. “The Thayne, the cursed goddess? Ha, believe in what you will… hopefully belief in that works out for you. I am very interested in assisting you now, since my own belief is that the ‘gods’ of Althanas have long since damned us to survive on our own.”

Personal belief in a deity was something that the half-elf sorcerer did not possess. He had seen the world, had explored it enough to know that if there was some ethereal place of power that the Thayne rested in and watched, they certainly did not care about the world. They were busy playing with each other, mocking humanity, toying with the minds of individuals. If they were real, a fact that the halfling greatly doubted, he had never seen proof. If they were not real, as he suspected, they certainly had a devout following of imbeciles and those not strong enough to believe in their own personal wills.

“No matter,” he said with a shrug as the man turned and continued. He watched the ugly man take cautious steps over sigils etched into the ground. Where the crude symbols traps? Vigo did not know, nor did he care to find out. Trusting the ghoul’s ability to sense things, for he sensed nothing wrong with them, he followed suit and stepped carefully over each symbol. “We shall find out soon enough—“

Lorenor did not seem to be paying attention to anything the sorcerer was saying. His face was contorted, the muscles in his cheeks moving ever so slightly as if the cavity where his nose should have been smelled something. Vigo let his thoughts drift away as he attempted to pick up the scent that the creature was searching for. Nothing, though the elven senses that he had inherited from his mother were often more akin to the bastard human that had been his father. It was his hearing and sight that had been enhanced, giving him the ability to see in the dark and hear the scratching behind the walls, but smell nothing out of the ordinary.

He picked up his cane and held it close, one hand on the wooden sheath and the other grasped firmly around the steel handle. It was a just in case measure, the bladed weapon normally the last resort for the halfling. Vigo was not without reason though. The demon-kin of Haidia had shown an interest and slight love for his dirge magic… leaving him hard pressed to present fear against any of them. If there were Haidian natives lingering in the hallways of the building, he would prefer to use his blade before his spells, counter to his normal style of combat.

Mutant_Lorenor
01-29-08, 04:28 PM
The distraction was subtle, minute. However, the further Lorenor walked down the hallway, the stronger the scent became until it was undeniable. They were not alone in this building. Other pillagers of the vaults lurking within these ancient tunnels were present. Lorenor took the vile scent into his sensory array and knelt down to the ground as if concentrating. Much like a hell hound would, the ghoul was smelling intently at the air trying to ascertain the level of threat that lurked ahead.

The endless sang songs of caution; danger seemed imminent. N'Jal was the hand that guided the ghoul. Listening intently, he caught the distant sounds of conversation a few feet ahead. It was faint, subtle, and hard to hear. The words felt very far away to the ghoul but he could hear them touching his sensory grid. Apparently, the speakers weren't trying to be very cautious or stealthy at all, they appeared to be an arrogant lot. Lorenor turned to Vigo and suddenly the endless spoke. Goblins.

An ancient, archaic word resonated through his mind with the force of a thunderclap. Quickly, his face became contorted with the realization of what they were up against. Orken waited for them outside, along with the bastard dragon that was chasing Lorenor and his companions about; they would have to find another way out. Staying in his crouched position, the bastard child wanted to be certain that the enemy lurked about.

Concentrating on the words now; he was able to vaguely make out a few words spoken by the ancient horde. The words were whispers but he did make out the word N'Jal spoken more than once. Hearing that matter greatly interested the tomb raider. Standing up now Lorenor confirmed the level of threat that was ahead. He watched Vigo preparing his weapon and felt his own claws growing sharp, ready for violence. "Goblins." Lorenor whispered and started to continue on ahead of the Magus, his body sometimes evading some of the assumed trap panels. His advanced senses could pick up the subtle imperfections of the area around him, and thusly, hidden traps were avoided. For now. As long as Lorenor concentrated he found himself able to easily evade the traps.

The enemy appeared to be a few more feet ahead...

Dirge
01-30-08, 11:51 AM
How Lorenor could smell anything besides his own overpowering musk was beyond the halfling. As they continued pacing through the halls, delicately stepping over unseen traps and moving with the speed and grace of a slug, Vigo tried to calm himself. He was attempting to extend his senses, attempting to lock onto the smell that the ghoul was sniffing at. Instead he was granted the pleasure of a heavy whiff of the other man, an acrid scent of undeath, as well as the bitter tinge of mildew and rot that dwindled along the walls. It was by no means a pleasant odor, and concentrating was helping do little more than make it worse and provide a spoiled taste to linger on his palate.

Vigo cursed his luck when the ghoul turned to him and offered a single word. Goblins were his bane, his hatred, the sworn enemy of all elf-kin. The sickly green creatures held little more than a simplistic mind focused on the overwhelming greed inherent in their kind, and the bloodlust-like drive to fulfill their desires. Riches were only seconded to their wills to destroy, to unravel the order of Althanas. If they were present, as Lorenor had suggested, the halfling would hold nothing back in his nearly righteous retribution and destruction of their pointless lives.

Continuing forward the mage let the sickly creature take the lead. If there was an ambush, or a sudden attack of any kind, he would not take the brunt of it. Nor would he allow the thing to take him to the trap, following him like an unexpected threat. Vigo had no proof that Lorenor himself was not little more than a scout, happening along the halfling during his skulking business. Without proof of the things intentions, which were muddled at best and filled with uncomfortable talk of N’jal, he would not be set up so easily.

It was not more than a matter of a minute till the creatures were within distance of an attack. Vigo let his jade eyes shift about the hallway. He could see no way around the rather loud party, nor any indication that the he and the ghoul were noticed. “Convenient,” he thought, eyeing the back of Lorenor uncomfortably. However, the guttural speak of the goblins was resonating, the group obviously unconcerned with any other crypt robbers happening upon them in the shadows.

The dirge mage looked to his flank, the other wall was just as decrepit as the one he and his ‘companion’ was on. The floor between the two was clear, nothing to hinder his movement or give him away, just more dust covered stones half cracked. The darkness of the tunnels engulfed them both, giving them ample cover from the prying red eyes of the goblins. He shifted quickly to the other wall, taking a quick look without the ghoul obstructing his vision of the threat ahead.

Away from the scent of rot that surrounded the undead man he could finally catch the smell of the goblins. There were four of them, but their scent was acrid enough. Through the hall a tinge of bitter sweat drifted, bringing with it body odor that only a goblinoid could produce. The four were covered in their common armor, banded pieces of armor undeniably salvaged from the ruins and fallen prey. At their sides each had some weapon, one with a cracked hand-axe the other three with some form of short blade. The four foot fiends were arguing over something, arguing with something unseen.

Was there another present further down the tunnel? Was their an orken waiting, leading, issuing orders the disgusting little creatures did not agree with? Vigo dwelt on the thought and tried to pierce the darkness with his slanted eyes, trying to peer past the group and see what they were addressing. All four had their backs to Lorenor and the sorcerer, giving the two an element of surprise should they finally chose to attack. Instead of removing the steel blade from the cane, Vigo placed it very gently on the ground, against the wall. He would not be able to use it against the wicked creatures, the blade too thin and flimsy to pierce through the armor, and his proficiency with it far below the skill level required to be able to pierce the holes in their armor.

He placed his hands on the dirty ground, the soft dust coating the insides of his hands as he began to summon his spell. A sickly yellow-green light began to form around his outstretched and splayed fingers, running the length of his hands to his wrists. The goblins had a surprise in store, a surprise that Vigo was all to ready to give to the ugly little beasts. The sorcerer turned to his companion and nodded. He would not be the first to attack, would not leave his back exposed to the ghoul.

Mutant_Lorenor
01-30-08, 02:07 PM
Observing the scene unfold before them, Lorenor and his companion were approximately ten solid paces away from the goblin raiding party. The ghoul observed his unarmed nature and sighed gently to himself. He would have to fight dirty, he would have to fight with everything he knew in order to take the green fiends out. Or perhaps, there was another way. Lorenor pondered attempting to negotiate with the goblin horde. He wondered if his companion would agree with that? Darkened hallways filled with red symbols surrounded the ghoul in every direction. For the time being, there wasn't any other intricate passageways to go down. They were descending one long tunnel into the earth. The ghoul saw that the temple looked very tall from the outside, and began to wonder where were staircases positioned?

They would have to discover those later. Lorenor pondered the foolhardy nature of taking on four fully trained goblins. His fists were clenching and opening with the tension he was feeling. The goblins were speaking in the goblin tongue and speaking in heated tones. To one another and to an individual slightly further off, hidden in the dark. So far, Lorenor wasn't able to catch a glimpse of the rest of the party but could tell that their numbers were probably great.

A goblin raiding party was a force to be reckoned with. Lorenor kept studying his companion for a moment as a glowing energy was conjured by the Dirge Mage. Lorenor turned his attention back to the goblins as if he was waiting for something, some sort of command from the endless. Then, it came. Destruction. Words of chaos were whispered in the fractured mind of the ghoul distorting his ability to reason with the odds against him at the time. He knew the goblins had superior numbers to them, but that didn't stop the ghoul from attempting to achieve his ghoul. They had a single advantage at the moment; the element of surprise.

And then it happened. A familiar sensation tore through the undead's flesh as the oily substance of the endless crept up around him. Surrounding his flesh quickly, the living apparatus tightened itself around the epidermis of the ghoul. Lorenor was covered in a thick layer of living darkness. His clothing and rags remained unaffected, but even his eyes were hidden beneath the sheet of living black. The organic substance writhed around Lorenor's skin as the ghoul prepared to attack.

Four foot tall menaces stared at their superior officers as they attempted to argue against the orders given to them by the goblin chieftain; the leader lurked further in the tunnels. Messengers ran back and forth in a crude chain of command. Basic orders were relayed as the various units of the goblins that were stationed throughout the structure prepared themselves for imminent attack. The dark mother, N'Jal, had warned the leader of the goblins that imminent tomb raiders were approaching. Also, one of the tomb raiders was special; they should all be on their guard.

"But the dark one approaches rapidly! We should gather our forces to meet this new threat so that we can take it down." He was arguing with the messenger who merely shook his head. "The orders are final." They spoke in the common tongue. Apparently not attempting to hide their speech from would be spies. They were confident in their superiors numbers.

"I'm just a messenger. The chieftain's word is law." That word felt uncomfortable on the goblin's lips. They were a lot that was used to rebellion and constant conflict. To simply just submit to a series of unwarranted commands from a greedy leader? Unheard of. But the goblin knew that a greater threat was just beyond. "Then at least be prepared. The Dark Mother sends her messages to us and she says that the threat is imminent."

"We are prepared."

"Are you?"

And so it went. The argument, the distrust amongst their own people. The goblin society was a society built upon conflict and warfare. Savage distrust was the order of the day. They were a society that revolved around several chieftains barking orders to the rest of the goblin horde. Sometimes, the chieftains followed the superior units of the Orken. But typically, the Chieftains obeyed the orders of the Dark Mother; N'Jal. They were physical avatars of the Spider Queen.

And in one fell moment, it began. One of the goblins was suddenly grabbed and pulled into the shadows of the dark. Sickening sounds of bones breaking and flesh being torn was heard. The goblins turned their attention towards the attack that just occurred. "It begins!" They readied their weapons...

Lorenor tore the flesh of goblin that he had captured into his embrace. It had proved an easy task to take advantage of their turned backs. All he had to do was sneak up behind one of them and pull them into the shadows. There, in the dark, Lorenor could have his way with the fiend. The goblin was armed with a crude steel short sword that could serve as a better side arm than his claws. Lorenor tore at the lad's flesh leaving deep gashes in the goblin's body even as the creature thrashed in his arms. The stalker bit through the goblin's neck and felt it die in his arms. Taking the goblin's short sword and buckler shield in his arms, the ghoul armed himself. With blood flowing down his chin, the ghoul observed Vigo casually. "Let's do this." Lorenor said casually. His face hidden behind the mask of darkness that surrounded his head.

Dirge
01-30-08, 04:28 PM
Vigo watched with extreme interest as the darkness of something altogether unreal absorbed the ghoul. His body was devoured by the dark, slick surface and a smile flashed on the face of the halfling. Whatever it was that had just happened, he wanted it, and bad. The ghoul was gone, replaced by a thriving and living shadow. It was material in all aspects, and looked more intimidating and fear inducing than all the spells of the sorcerer combined.

He turned, the cruel smile still lighting his face, his jade eyes were hardly masking the sinister desires he held at heart. The goblins were speaking up, nearly yelling in a language he could understand. Though it was still spoken in a guttural slang, like the language of their race, it was clear enough to make out. They knew about the two, though not about how many there were approaching. They were preparing to some degree, but there was obviously dissention amidst those supposedly ready.

“Not much of a surprise though,” the halfling thought as he watched them bicker. Their language changed, half Tradespeak half Goblinoid, but it was not difficult to gather the necessary understandable pieces and form the puzzle. They were fully prepared but in chaos as the goblin race almost always were. The bickering broke down any amount of preparation that they had begun, or finished. “Stupid bastards, they bicker loudly. Should we not have sensed them earlier we would have still been able to pick them up long before our arrival.”

The dirge mage looked to his flank, but Lorenor had disappeared. Mutely he cursed his fate; the man with his wicked black skin had slipped into a shadow and had left the half-elf defenseless. Before him were a flock of angry goblins, with the hand of a false goddess driving them… Somewhere around him was Lorenor, the sneaky bastard had left him alone…

A squeal of pain and surprise caught his attention, and into the shadows one of the goblins was drawn. Black hands were wrapped around its body, embracing it, absorbing it as if the shadows were alive. Mistrust was instantly forgotten as the crunch of bones and splattering of black blood made its report from the darkness. Things would be fine, Vigo convinced himself, the ghoul was a creature of danger.

He turned back to the waiting, fearful goblins before him. They were spread out, untrusting of each other, weapons drawn and eyes darting. Worried frowns made their ugly faces look even worse, and in the dim light their eyes searched. The ghoul’s blood spattered words were not necessary; Vigo was already ahead of him. The half-elf stood from his crouch and sprinted towards the nearest goblin. It screeched like a child and swung its cracked axe without aiming. It was half turned, half looking at the furious and intimidating figure of the halfling, half fearing him completely.

The sorcerer dodged effortlessly, a quick stutter step and the axe finished its arch at the same time his sickly yellow hands wrapped around the beasts face. Boils bubbled across its dry green skin; puss ran from a quickly worsening rash that claimed his face. The spell was Vigo’s necromantic touch, able to spread a disease like rash as bad as most plagues. Before it could devoir his face, the thing fell back dropping its axe and screaming as it held its face. Depraved, the halfling turned on the next, sword held high and ready, but no determination etched on its face and only cowardice behind its eyes.

Mutant_Lorenor
02-01-08, 03:21 PM
Lorenor observed the intricate powers that the Dirge Mage had at his disposal.

For but a moment, the air came alive with archaic forces. A distinctive ripple of sickly glowing energy touched the air and left its energy residue for all to view upon. The goblins reacted to the fall of their brother and took a step backwards. Fear filled the chamber now; fear of these new intruders. When the goblin party took a few steps back; one of them precariously stepped upon one of the many trap triggers strewn about the temple.

The goblin's foot sank as the button was pushed into the floor. From one of the walls, a weapon set aside by the people who built this ancient building spat out a single projectile from one of the many ornamental markers on the wall. An intricate series of symbols on the wall were raised and depicted the visage of some ancient deity that were worshiped by the people of the temple. Lorenor back pedaled quickly to evade the trap; but the fiend that pressed the switch in the first place wasn't so lucky. Entering his head from the left side; the projectile dug deeply into the skull of the goblin. It soon jutted out from the other side of the skull functioning like a primitive and crude drill bit. The projectile's trajectory was shifted slightly as it exploded from the other side of the goblin. A moment later, the devilish contents of the goblin's cranium exploded with a green fluid down upon the ground and the nearby walls. A sickening grunt as uttered from the lips of the goblin as his fellows stared in disbelief. "They are witches; kill them!" One of the goblins stated; there were merely three of them left.

Lorenor lunged at the nearest goblin and engaged the freak with his newly acquired steel short sword. The sound of metal clashing against metal was heard crudely as the two small warriors fought against one another...the other goblins went to attack Vigo.

Dirge
02-02-08, 08:38 PM
The sickening dance of macabre decadence began, and the halfling sorcerer was entranced by the fear and the rot of his own powers. He lolled his head, his smile widening, his hands glowing their sickly color. The sword wielding goblins face was lost in terror, and Vigo adored every second of it. Laughing he lunged, his hands padding the flat side of the sword, attempting to push it away and close in. Instead the blade twisted in the creature’s hands, cutting a deep groove through the center of his palm.

With blood dripping from the wound he carried on, driving the palm of his hand square against the heavy brow of his opponent. Its head rocked back, eyes rolling from the strike. Neck snapped, palm shaped boils forming; Vigo took a small step away and let the things body fall. The back of the goblins head crashed heavily against the cobblestones, cracking, but hardly heard over the grizzly grind of the trap springing and tearing the head of another goblin apart.

Vigo turned, saw the wicked creatures screaming, panic stricken. All the preparations they had made were shattered. The appearance of the two so suddenly was like a hammer against thin glass, there was no resistance. With only a couple left, one facing the young sorcerer the other facing the ghoul, the hands of the boy brightened. His spell was growing stronger, throbbing.

Instead of taking a defensive stance and awaiting the assault of the halfling, the goblin facing him raised his sword and took a tentative step forward. “Do you have what it takes?” Willing for more blood, willing for the end of his miserable life, the dirge mage sneered at the little thing. It was alone against him, a position that was not desirable for any goblinoid. They were dangerous in packs, when the bloodlust of their heritage could overtake them all. When in a pack they were dangerous berserkers, alone they were nothing more than pathetic cowering beasts with the mental abilities of a child, and the patience of one too.

The thing charged. Vigo took a step away, not in fear but to initiate the trap underfoot. When his leather boot lifted, a light flashed from the sigil underfoot. A similar sigil glowed from the wall to his flank, flashing towards the creature. The magic of the ancient demons tore into the crimson eyes of the goblin, sinking in as it screamed and writhed. In a split second the armor coating its upper shoulders shrugged and shifted. The beast’s eyes began to bleed, tears of crimson falling from the corners. He lurched forwards, hunched over on all fours, and the entire spinal column tore from his back, killing it instantly.

Lorenor’s stolen blade flashed with his opponents, the clashes echoing loudly. But the mind of the dirge mage was lost in the morbid death before him. What a wicked tactic, what a powerful spell. He turned from the fighters, not thinking of offering the ghoul any assistance, and traced his hands along the symbol along the wall. It was familiar, something that he could translate given a few minutes. If only he could find the true name of the spell, identify it and take it for his own…

Mutant_Lorenor
02-04-08, 01:48 PM
His strikes were wild. From time to time; the ghoul let out a mighty below to attempt to frighten the creature further. His opponent was scared; the losses of the goblin forces were great. Lorenor stepped carefully around the sigils on the ground which indicated more traps were ever ready. He couldn't say the same for his opponent. It was only a matter of time before another trap was triggered. So far; two of the goblins met their untimely deaths at the cruel and uncaring mechanics of the traps.

Wearing a mask of fear; Lorenor observed the fiend's facial features casually keeping it at bay. The ghoul had below average sword skills at best; but did the best he could given the circumstance. Sword clashes vibrated through the air, the symbols etched upon the wall seemed like an audience to the battle. A live audience waiting to trigger yet another trap. Tension grabbed the ghoul's heart as he fought against the goblin. All Lorenor needed was one mistake. The goblin's sword fighting technique was just as unrefined as his own.

The creature swung his weapon without grace and discipline. Something that gave Lorenor an edge as he casually grew more comfortable with the sword being a martial fighter. Lorenor was decent with his hands; able to learn quickly how to move the sword around. His arm obeyed his command. The weapon felt natural in his grip; the weight just right. Anything heavier than a short sword would've weighed the ghoul down and greatly hampered his movements in the fight.

The curved blade of the short sword arched through the air wildly. He managed to meet the goblin's movements as he was being guided by the endless; it took control of his movements making them slightly more fluid than they normally would've been. Chaotic desires flowing from the endless filled the thoughts of the ghoul. The darkened bastard child moving as one with the darkness. Having a hard time locating him; the fiendish goblin was growing ever more terrified of the darkness.

Lorenor stepped around another incoming attack. Sending his blade downward upon the fiend's attack, the ghoul was attempting to give himself an opening. A moment later; the familiar sound of clashing steel echoed loudly through the hallway, giving away their position. Lorenor was thankful for the endless now they offered him a tactical advantage. Feeling the weight of his body crashing against the fiend's sword; Lorenor pushed down with all his weight. A moment later; the fiend's weapon was forced towards the ground giving Lorenor the tactical advantage he needed. Moving quickly; the bastard child usurped control of the forward momentum and sent his sword in a straight line towards an intended target. Success! Lunging from the former position in a wild and straight line, the ghoul's attack met its chosen mark. Exploiting the momentary error that the fiend made; the bastard child was able to remove the goblin's head from the neck. The fiend's eyes rolled to the back of his head as the object was severed from the body and rolled to the ground. Black goblin blood flowed from the stump of a neck now. The body fell to the ground a moment later.

Lorenor nodded to himself and sheathed his sword. Turning towards Vigo; the ghoul noticed that the man was distracted by one of the symbols on the ground. A trap of some sort was present on the symbol. Lorenor carefully made his way towards his companion.

"We are done here. Let's check these bodies for valuables. Half of the loot is yours my friend; well done. Do you see something of interest?"

With his enhanced senses the ghoul noticed a glow from the symbol and sensed a powerful magic from within it.

Dirge
02-04-08, 02:30 PM
The thirst that thrived deep within was unleashed, spilling over his conscious and consuming his every thought. He could not remove himself from the wall, his eyes from either symbol. There was power behind the resonating lights, throbbing and waiting for the halfling to discover its use. A bloodied hand smeared a streak against the wall, tracing brick, encircling the light glow. Vigo tilted his head in confusion and tried to pull the crude spells true name to him.

When the sub-human voice of the ghoul budded in the man’s sharp ears he nearly jumped. So concentrated, he had not even heard the end results of the combat behind him. Turning to the ghoul he saw the headless body of his victim, cut precisely across the neck. The dead remains of the goblin was lying lifelessly on the cold stone, blood seeping from the severed neck, filling the grooves and winding away. Wide eyed the head held the last moments of shock that the ugly creature had possessed, a horrified expression sat like a macabre mask.

“Friend?” The dirge mage scoffed at the ghoul. He was no friend, no companion of his, simply a fellow explorer caught in a situation reeking with obligation. There was as much between the strange Lorenor and the halfling as could be found between either and the dead goblins. It just so happened that they were not so interested in playing the foolish adventurer, and uneasily accepting a small truce. Vigo was a loner, needed no one. But his greed had often times forced him into situations where obligation to a fellow of Althanas was necessary.

“I want none of the dirty spoils,” he sighed, turning back to the sigil. It was still glowing, still throbbing despite its use having come and gone. “Goblins have nothing that would interest me. If I had wanted their pathetic swords, bloodied money, or some sick trophy I would not have even bothered with this place… I would have just killed some outside.”

Rude though he was, he did not care in the least. His eyes locked on the wall, and suddenly it came like a rush of wind. The symbol, the words, the spell behind it. He could understand it, simple trick of figuring out which way the magic was written and it opened up to his jade eyes. The spell flashed again, not in use but in study, and suddenly the light was cut short. However, the flash filled the orbs of the halfling, sent a wave of ecstasy washing over him.

But as soon as it came, it was dispersed, replaced by an immeasurable amount of agonizing pain. The halfling dropped to the ground. His arms tucked in, his knees bent. His body assumed a fetal position. Blood slipped from the corners of both eyes. At the very top of his neck half of the sigil formed, glowing brightly. At the base of his spine the other half formed, the glow piercing through the three layers of clothing he was wearing.

Before the blackness overtook his conscious mind, he had a final thought. Would this be his end?

{{Passed out from the pain, feel free to bunny moving him around or whatnot… or adding whatever.}}

Mutant_Lorenor
02-09-08, 02:15 PM
Meanwhile...

Working in shifts and sleeping rarely; the goblins located deeper within the temple were searching for something. A treasure hidden deep within the structure's wall. Scouts from each of the teams of goblins reported back to the main leadership body of this particular troop. Old Haidia was no more. Ever since an invasion from Salvar; the once proud Demon Army fell into the pages of history and scattered into the wind. Some of the stronger families of ancient Haidia stuck together as loosely affiliated clans.

Where numbers once reached the millions; the numbers now were a few estimated thousands of demons still lurking about the giant caverns of Haidia.

With the lands of Haidia up for grabs, and a political power struggle inevitable as the Demons attempted to reestablish their foothold after their crushing defeat at the hands of Salvar. The clans were busy searching for ancient relics of the past to help unify the army under steady leadership once more. Goblins; retaining their roles as scouts and primarily scavengers, worked to scour the ancient caverns of Haidia. Their Chieftains sat in silent meditation as they listened to the echoes of the Dark Mother. Goblins that were commanding officers barked orders in their natural language to the rest of their kin as the situation unfolded. One such Chieftain rested in the center of a chamber deep within the temple; an alter chamber.

One dedicated to an ancient figure; N'Jal. True of the surface world; the statues and relics of N'Jal were viewed as dangerous artifacts of an ancient cult rather than any real religion. So on the surface world; the Inquisition destroyed any remnants of N'Jal whilst in the underworld, N'Jal thrived. She had an immense following in the caverns of Haidia. There were those that new the ancient rites of N'Jal and followed them to a point of precision.

The Chieftain had a book spread open in front of him. Several immense looking Trolls served as the Chieftain's elite guard. It would require a tremendous power to upset control of that the goblins had of the structure.

The goblin wore a horned crown and thick hides. The colors reflected the beasts of the wilderness of Haidia. His eyes were closed as he sat in deep meditation. A peculiar obsidian amulet glowed with archaic energies surrounded the artifact. Sitting in his meditative position; the dark green skinned goblin leader read out loud from the book. It was an ancient dialect of demon speak that was known only to a few. Despite Salvar's devastation; N'Jal warned her children of the incoming invasion and many were able to escape into the wilderness of Haidia whilst the great cities fell.

One of the goblin scouts approached a big troll that was guarding the chieftain.

"State your business; welp." The big troll commanded.

"It has begun."

"I know this already. Do you have anything new to report? N'Jal guides our hand."

"We lost contact with the squad at the front entrance at the temple."

"Nesskin? He always was a fool. In any event send another squad to enforce our control of the temple. I don't want anything foreign slipping through our defenses. Any mistake will cost you your life, am I clear?" The goblin nodded as he understood. "I shall gather the ken."

A moment later; the scout was gone. He vanished off into the darkness of the temple. With the alter room surrounding them and different goblins working on various sections of the walls; the search for the temple's treasure began. Now; it was a race against time...

Pacing back and forth whilst stepping lively around and over the locations of various traps; the would be tomb raider watched his companion rest on the ground. He was recovering from an earlier epileptic seizure. The body that Lorenor bit sometime ago was starting to develop the strange colors of rigor mortis earlier than usual. The ghoul went over to investigate the corpse of the goblin keeping a newly acquired shield close to his person. It was a steel buckler made of generally good quality. The shield was banged up and lacked the finesse of a master smith.

However; the shield could offer the ghoul extra protection where he only had the endless to depend on. He didn't want to take any of the armor pieces of the goblins because they wreaked of goblin excrement. Lorenor was studying the corpse when something in the distance caught his sharp ears. Moving towards Vigo's position; the ghoul stopped so that he was standing more or less in front of the Magus' body.

With his back turned to the body of the goblin, Lorenor never noticed the creature once again stirring in unlife. Spreading quickly through the body of the fallen; Lorenor's infection was like a plague. It swept through the bloodstream of the dead warrior with incredible precision. Taking physical effect upon the goblin and reanimating dead cells; the creature's eyes opened in the dark as it was given the gift of unlife. Standing silently; in a perverse mockery of life, the goblin prepared its assault on the nearest available targets. It ignored Lorenor and Vigo completely as a fresh host of bodies was currently on the way to their position.

Lorenor felt the endless wrap itself around his vessel once more. The now familiar sensation of the creature provided a sense of tremendous pleasure to the ghoul. His skin hardened with the shell of living darkness wrapping tightly around his epidermis. A feeling of great strength filled the ghoul's heart as the endless sang songs of reassurance. Suddenly, something fast moved quickly past him. It was like a blur moving directly across from Lorenor's position and further off into the hallway. The ghoul took an instinctive step back as he saw the corpse of the creature he previously killed once again walking of its own volition. Did I cause that to take place? Just what in the hell is going on here?

Another squad of goblins was rapidly approaching. Lorenor needed Vigo's help if he was to survive. So doing the only thing he knew to do; the ghoul walked over to the Magus' position. Sending a swift kick in the general direction Vigo's side. Lorenor attacked with just enough force to sent a jolt through the wizard's body and wake his ass up. "Get up you lazy bastard; we have work to do." Lorenor teased. "They are coming."

And just then, all hell broke loose. Lorenor could hear the approach of goblins in greater numbers than before. He turned towards the hallway and saw that the goblin he'd bitten was heading right towards the incoming goblins...

Dirge
02-09-08, 05:09 PM
Dank scents filtered through the darkness that surrounded the mind of the slumbering mage. His face contorted in his dream like state, his ears were perked, and his conscious mind was alert but unable to assume control. He heard the faint footsteps of the pacing ghoul, heard them but could not focus on them. Vision flooded his mind, drifting in an out like the ebb and flow of the smoothest of waves. They lapped against his mind, jolting him into powerful pictures and memories not his own. Demons painted in deep, vibrant colors, wearing very little other than bones and skulls meticulously painted signs across the uneven walls. They were written in blood, with the sharpened bones of what could only be assumed martyred victims. Their speech was low, guttural and ancient, but Vigo could not make out what they were speaking. It was apparent that the others standing around the painted demon’s held a deep respect for them.

“Shamans of old…”

The thought of the sorcerer was passed as the vision was pulled away, leaving echoes of the ancient tongue in its wake. He tried to stir, but his unresponsive body did not will for him to wake quiet yet. It forced him to see more, to see the practices of the demons, the crude symbols painstakingly scribed. The defenses were not as make shift or hastily created as he had assumed. They were part of a perfected art, a runic script that the demons themselves had had problems with. He watched a clip of a demonic shaman with his body being torn, the spells flashing in the background. Fading blue lights filled his thoughts even after the picture faded.

“Even the all powerful fall.”

Eventually his history, which had happened but moments before, came to sight. He watched like a third party while the light danced into his eyes, passed through his mind, connected to threads of power and tainted the magical nodes within. The spell was ingrained in his body, had flowed down his spine and left brand like marks. If he pushed his consciousness to its peak he could feel the indented skin at the top and base of his spine. The power had rushed over him and taken over his mind, unwanted but very necessary…

~X~

The rough kick caught the center of the halflings chest, throwing him onto his back. His jade eyes opened; the center of them still filled with a sapphire glow. He looked around, fear twisting his visage, forcing him to look as he never willed for anyone to see him. To his side, through the haze of semi-consciousness and disturbed dust he could see the booted foot of the ghoul turn. Lorenor’s body was facing towards the tunnels that the dirge mage could see on the other side of him.

“They?” Vigo asked in a tone still holding the half slumber. He sat up, feeling the thick blood slipping from the corners of his eyes. Would it be like that forever? Would he be cursed with a never ending streak of blood slipping across his beautiful face? Time did not allow the thought to dwindle, for the sounds of bloodshed were echoing through the shattered halls. “Kick me again, you ugly fuck, and I’ll tear your leg off.”

With a small chuckle he rose, his pale hands pushing off the floor, coated in dirt once again. His will pushed his thoughts to summon the touch again, but the spell would not activate. He was alone in the world, without weapon, without spell. For the first time since his father had beaten him without remorse he felt helpless, defenseless, and without the power that he had for so long fought for. Instead of panicking, as his thoughts willed, he let a cold façade overtake him. The mask slipped on so easily, so naturally…

“Let them come,” he said through clenched teeth, the blood from his eyes dripping off his firm chin. Drops splashed against the stone, a dripping noise catching his peaked ears every other second.

Mutant_Lorenor
02-11-08, 02:24 PM
Hearing the Dirge Mage's words; the ghoul simply grinned underneath the layer of the endless. Sharpened senses heard the heavy boot falls. Screams in the distance also caught the ghoul's ears as the enemy fell to the various traps and vile contraptions placed eons ago by the ancestors of the ghoul. These goblins are careless bastards. Their forces will be cut in half long before they ever make it to our position. Seeing a goblin sword on the ground; Lorenor moved his boot quickly and kicked it in the general direction of the Dirge Mage so that the other could wield it effectively. "Arm yourself; there will be many and we have proper supplies at our feet! Take the weapons and equipment of the fallen. Don't be too proud to steal."

Lorenor instructed; taking command of the situation. The ghoul knew that the Dirge Mage probably wouldn't like being bossed around but the situation required leadership. The ghoul stepped up deciding that he would rather be the one to do most of the bossing around in whilst his companion faced a moment of weakness. He suddenly found himself missing Tyria; who was likely to become a friend. The numbers that accompanied him prior to his meeting of the Dirge Mage dwindled down and in the end there was one. Lorenor didn't care so long as he met his goal and found what he was looking for.

Their chieftain is in possession of it. The Endless whispered in the back of his mind. Lorenor nodded and grabbed the handle of his newly acquired sword tightly. He waited until the enemy was well within range. With his eye sockets narrowing; the ghoul observed the haze of the hallway carefully.

Torches were visible in the distance as the sound of the mob came at them and a feeling of destruction entered his gut. Lorenor was prepared. A feeling of determination crept up his spine. Staring at the face of the enemy; he knew that the traps were making short work of their forces. Also; there was another quickly cutting the goblins down as well...

...Lorenor's spawnling ran through the hallway towards a cadre of targets.

He had eyes full of hatred and wrath. The goblin was armed and still retained the memories of his martial skills through genetic memory.

Stopping approximately a few pieces from the nearest uninfected goblin; the goblin leaped forward and prepared his attack. Nearby goblins suddenly stopped everything that they were doing as their own ken attacked their forces. Goblins reacted in a slow fashion; confusion settling into their ranks as their numbers fell to the traps of the temple. The infected goblin quickly slashed at the nearest warrior; pulling the victim's weapon to the side. The goblin reached forward with snarling maw and vicious teeth. Overwhelmed by the sudden savage act; the attacked goblin fell. The infected reached forward with his powerful jaws whilst the other goblins shrieked and screamed in shock. This all happened in a matter of moments. The infected tore through the throat of the goblin he was attacking and began to consume the flesh of his victim. He tore out much of the trapezius and neck region; but left the spinal cord intact. The infection was passed from attacker to victim starting off the process of domination.

Something was happening. The goblins were taking too long a time to arrive to their destination. Lorenor reasoned that they were hopelessly outnumbered and outflanked by their forces; what was the delay? Then; loud shrieks and shouts of confusion emerged from further down the hallway. It is beginning. The Endless whispered. Lorenor felt his muscles tighten now as he could only guess at that meaning. He remembered the blur passing by him moments prior. Lorenor shot a glance to the Dirge Mage as his own chest rose and felt with intensity at the thought of battle. "Something is going on; I'm not sure what. But it is something extremely dangerous."

The ghoul was the catalyst.

Dirge
02-11-08, 09:33 PM
It truly was a matter of pride that created the hatred for the goblins gear within the sorcerer. To take a weapon from the ground, especially one as ugly and battered as those used by the little green gremlins would be beneath him. It was beyond reproach, yet the threat of death was before him, surrounding him. In the face of his own demise, he reached down and removed a small sword from the ground, having little to no time to retrieve his cane sword from the hallway off to the side. It was crude, a full tang iron blade wrapped in what felt like half-way tanned leather. He grimaced as his delicate hands felt the sweat of its former master, shook his head at the many notches that had been cut into it over time.

He turned the blade over and over, testing the weight as if he knew how to actually use it. After a quick flick of his wrist and the rise and fall of the weapon, he nodded and tossed it aside. His magic was slow to react, hard to summon, but it would be better to even consider using that before stabbing himself in the leg with the useless weapon. The iron clattered against the stones, just as the screams of peril were raised. Vigo shot a sharp eye towards the darkness, not seeing a single hint of the combat yet, but hearing the pleas of the dying.

A grim smile lit his sharp face. The drops of blood continued dripping slowly, and through a fog of red he looked at the heavy inhale and exhale of the ghoul. He sounded as if he did not know, did not recognize the stupidity of the goblins. The halfling knew though, did not at any point second guess the luck the two had. Things were swinging their way quickly.

“Extremely dangerous?” The man laughed, pushing past the undead creature and his awful smell. If it was so dangerous, why were they not part of it? And what could be more dangerous than the pair of them? “Then why are we not part of it?”

Vigo started forward, the runic symbol at the tip of his spine glowing softly. It itched, and he scratched it willingly, but found something strange. It was not the soft, warm touch of skin that caressed the tips of his fingers, but the harsh cold and grainy texture of exposed bones. For a second he lost his footing, stutter stepping to a halt. He closed his eyes, letting the groaning dead and dying be forgotten in his own moment of peril. A single thought, about touching the bone, and he felt the tip of his spine remove itself from his head like a striking serpent.

Within a matter of seconds he was holding his own, exposed spine. No pain flooded his body, just overwhelming fear at what was taking place. His tightly closed eyes began to pour blood from the sides, dripping down his cheeks and across his traveling garb. It would be no loss, for what he had discovered was well worth the smeared image. He pulled and the entire spinal column was loosed, slipping from his back like a sword being unsheathed.

“Lor… Lorenor?” His voice was timid, the whisper of a frightened child. His body was loose and free. Bending low, he could move in ways normal beings should not have been able to, twist around twice over, never opening his eyes to see what sick thing he had become.

Mutant_Lorenor
02-12-08, 04:04 PM
Preparing for the inevitable battle was a matter of great concern to the ghoul.
He kept his eyes on the road ahead; staring casually with a look of displaced indifference in the general direction of the enemy. The cries of the dying didn't move the ghoul one bit whatsoever. They were a threat that was being taken care of by the temple; and perhaps, something else.

Dank hallways filled with the scent of death surrounded the ghoul in every direction. They were deeper underground now; much deeper than they were at the entrance of the structure. Lorenor guessed that there were floors of the building above him as well as below him. Lorenor was attempting to assess the depth of exploration they would have to undergo when something completely unexpected happened. As if in reaction to the symbol that Vigo touched; the Dirge Mage suddenly transformed into an apparition as hideous as the bastard child himself.

The odds didn't seem as bad when the Magus revealed his new gift. His flesh turned into a rubbery substance; his body twisting and contorting in ways that a normal humanoid shouldn't be allowed to move. Lorenor grinned widely at his companion's state of momentary suffering. Hearing the cries uttered from Vigo's mouth; the ghoul took no pity or remorse on the man's cursed situation. Lorenor simply saw their given advantage as it was.

"It can't be helped. You're still able to move and that's quite an unusual weapon you're wielding. I'd hate to feel how sharp it was. In any event; let's get going. We have work to do."

The screams from the hallway intensified for a moment as the children of darkness were overwhelmed by some sort of terror from beyond. Lorenor decided to take the point of their party whilst his companion went through his currently vulnerable state. "Be strong, Vigo." Lorenor said and walked forward letting the Dirge Mage to his own devices for the time being. All that the ghoul could do was protect the Magus from harm anyway. "I'm going to scout ahead; stay here until you gain control of your movement."

Not more than a few feet from his former position did he see signs of the slaughter that had actually taken place. In a fell matter of moments; the creature that Lorenor himself had created quickly tore through the ranks of the enemy. There were mutilated bodies everywhere; with signs of partially being eaten. The ghoul looked around at the signs of the carnage and heard a single noise of whimpering in one of the corners of the maze like hallway, it was close. Painfully close. Lorenor counted at least twenty bodies. He made his way towards the whimpering and saw a lone goblinling crying hysterically at the carnage. Lorenor stopped a few paces away from him.

"Pull yourself together you freak. What the hell happened here?"

"It came from the darkness. We thought it was one of our own. But it quickly tore through our ranks. Then; the dead started to rise up. The dead...they started to rise. Only they weren't our friends anymore. They were monsters..."

"Necromancy." Lorenor suddenly knew the word. The Endless told him the meaning of the word and the ghoul understood just exactly what was going on. I am the catalyst. Lorenor took the goblin's sword in his hands and prepared to enact the deed of dispatching the enemy. The ghoul moved into combat stance. The young goblin looked up at Lorenor with a sad expression on its ugly face. "Will it hurt?"

"I promise you it won't." Lorenor said calmly. And a moment later; the goblin's head was rolling down the hallway in Vigo's general direction. The body fell headless to the ground. Black blood was flowing from the goblin's body. Then; Lorenor noticed something about the goblin's person. He was carrying pouches and containers in his travel packs. The ghoul leaned down and removed the pouches and packs from the goblin's possession. Looking down towards Vigo's position Lorenor called to his companion.

"Vigo; I think I've found something!" Lorenor yelled. Knowing that they were alone now.

Dirge
02-13-08, 07:29 PM
The words of encouragement could only calm the man so much, his mind was loose and his fears free. The sickly skin that coated the ghoul was only half an impressive as the rubbery skin and freed spinal column that the mage had at his command. His eyes opened, jade orbs peering through a crimson haze. He could see through the darkness, but the world was a monotonous black and white, only the blood splattered stains at his feet from his bloody tears were vibrant. He let his free hand touch the small pools, dipping them in with a twisted smile crossing his face.

Vigo watched the shadowed ghastly man pass him, watching him in his unnaturally black encasement. The man was darker than the shadows, his steps quieter than the darkness, and the dirge mage was right behind him. He would let the man scout, let him look ahead, but if only so that he himself could create a surprise attack none would see coming.

From the tunnel ahead the sorcerer could hear the pathetic mutterings of a cowardly goblin. His cried and words were cut off by the sly tongue of the ghoul, though the conversation was unappealing and drifted through the dusty tunnels slowly. Vigo could only catch a little of what was said between the two, but as he rounded the corner the end result rolled to his feet. The head of the goblin had tightly shut eyes, mouth open, and an oozing puddle of blood flowing from its severed head. The gooey substance was the only color the sorcerer saw, and the livid deep scarlet made his mouth curl into a sneer.

The mage held the head of the goblin to face him, looking deep into its cherry eyes. The orbs could have held the last image the goblinoid saw, the cruel face of the ghoul with his remorseless grin. The mage was unable to see it, but the picture came to his minds eye nonetheless. He smashed the head into the ground, the rear of the skull cracking and lying flat against the uneven stones. The sorcerer stood up, smashing the skull under the heel of his leather boot.

“Is it something I’m going to care about? Or are you excited because your fucking little gobbling ghoul is on another rampage?” Vigo sighed, his fingers flexing and tightening on the bone sword like weapon in hand. He desperately wanted to wield his new weapon against the unsuspecting, find out the strengths, weaknesses, and powers that he had been granted.

Mutant_Lorenor
02-17-08, 06:34 PM
Lorenor inspected the bodies of the goblins. The were in various forms of being eaten. Mutilated corpses were at his feet and the ghoul couldn't help but smile beneath the shell of darkness that surrounded him. Feeling the weight of the walls surrounding him in every direction; the ghoul pondered what to do next.

Screams resonated from further down the hallway as another battle was being waged with the undead. Lorenor sheathed his sword in the scabbard he'd stolen because there was no immediate threat. A loud moan suddenly erupted from nearby. The ghoul turned towards the sound and noticed that an infection was spreading across the bodies of the goblins. When the infection spread quickly Lorenor took several steps away from the body. He never noticed before what his bite did to victims. The first of the creatures was the creature that he'd bitten himself.

That creature was stronger than the rest. It seemed to Lorenor that the infection spead strongly as each new victim was bit. Seemingly taking a few moments to pass from carrier to host, infection was horrible fate for someone to be forced to undergo. Lorenor was thrilled as he realized the power he had at his disposal. Passing his DNA from himself to another organism caused the mutations to occur. Lorenor felt the Endless unravel itself from his epidermis. Examining the sound of the moan; the ghoul pondered giving the goblin a permanent death. However; a thought occurred to the ghoul. "Stand back Vigo." Lorenor stepped to the side and observed with interest the next reactions.

With that, he noticed what was happening. A black virus spread across the surface of skin on the goblins. Three of them were infected with the black sheen. Standing slowly now, the moans of pain became more audible. The ghoul watched, fascinated as the goblins started to rise once again from death. There were three this time. Out of a group of approximately twenty goblins. Lorenor watchced as the goblin horde began to march down the hallway in search of prey. Lorenor turned to Vigo's position.

"Let's go. I think we've been given a blessing from N'Jal. We need to figure out where the rest of these bastard goblins are."

Dirge
02-18-08, 04:30 PM
The scene of carnage spread about the room, a bloodied frenzy that consumed the shattered halls. Vigo would have smiled, but the lust for use that the bone sword in hand called for was unabated. Instead he stepped through it all. His thick leather boots stepped through and over pools of sticky black blood, crushing exposed arm bones as he moved. The crunch underfoot did not even make his face cringe. “Why should I stand back? The gods be damned, I found what I needed, I want more… and if this is something I can have, I want it.”

The halfling watched with interest as the goblins stood slowly, laboriously, and moved like the undead. Their skin was flush with blackened pigmentation, which spread through the green tint. It wrapped around their arms, their necks, anything bare was quickly turned to a dark black, except for the exposed bones. They appeared as miniatures of the ghoul, though half chewed and more mindless by far.

“N’jal,” he huffed as he watched the ugly bastards scratch their way down the call. Their bony fingers, some completely exposed, tapped against the stone. Make shift armor twisted and moved uncomfortably, exposing openings that should have been covered, but they made no move to close them. There was nothing but the lust for blood on their minds, the smell of live prey before them. “Curses to your fucking goddess, if she wants to bless us then why doesn’t she just give us whatever damned thing you are looking for?”

Vigo followed the ghoul through the corridors, the slope descending at a slight angle as the path continued. He could hear the combat, the carnage of the smaller clones of Lorenor tearing into enemy ranks. The clash of swords, but not against another steel weapon, clattered against the stone floors. Roars of anger lashed out, filling the chamber, ringing from every crevice and crack. The dirge mage wished for nothing more than to rush forward, cleave the head of an unsuspecting victim, and destroy the bastards of the ghoul or their opponents.

“Shit,” he muttered as he turned into a new tunnel…

Mutant_Lorenor
02-21-08, 04:40 PM
And before them was the new scene of carnage. Intense battle between the zombie horde was waged as the living goblins attacked their own ken. Lorenor saw this as an opportunity. He turned towards his companion; keeping up pace with him and sheathing his sword just in case. "What the fuck!? Are you seeing what I'm seeing Vigo?" In a matter of moments the elite goblin horde was being torn to shreds by Lorenor's bastard children. The ghoul frowned as he attempted to understand the severity of the situation at hand.

He'd never seen such carnage before and was taken aback by the sudden realization of the power at his command. Lorenor looked at his own hands seeing that they were stained with black blood. Starting to attempt to clean himself of the black blood; the ghoul soon realized that the attempt was futile indeed. He turned towards Vigo in confusion. Then; four goblins broke from the main combat group. They filled the hallway of the temple and fighting was audible in adjacent chamber. By now; the zombie population had increased twenty fold. It was impossible to tell who was friend and who was foe.

The goblins turned towards Vigo and Lorenor's position. In a fell moment of confusion; the goblins attacked the duo. Two were heading towards Lorenor and two were heading towards Vigo. The ghoul took a step to the side; drawing his newly acquired weapon. The attacking goblins both possessed swords of the same make as the one that Lorenor wielded. Intercepting the attacks wildly and desperately; the ghoul blocked one slash, then quickly shifted his weight so that he could block another slash.

Using his senses to their fullest possible capacity; Lorenor was able to move quickly and adjust to the incoming sword attacks. A quick calculation there; a subtle movement here. The ghoul was quickly learning how to effectively parry against the goblin horde. It served as an important educational mechanism fighting in live combat. Lorenor didn't have any particular strategy to take the goblins out; instead he was attempting to quickly remove their heads. That proved to be the most effective strategy so far. Sever the heads; the rest of the body dies.

Lorenor blocked incoming attacks with his buckler shield. Of poor quality; the thing was only able to deflect several more attacks before ultimately smashing against the weight of an incoming blow. Lorenor felt a bruise develop where the shield had shattered against his arm. Continuing the battle; the ghoul was backed up against a wall. Hissing loudly; he continued to desperately swing against his foe. Both of the goblins pressed their advantage and Lorenor felt something cold and disheartening begin to slowly seep its way into his heart.

It was the realization that he might die! The ghoul felt genuine fear attempt to rip through his subconscious mind. His body was reacting on instinct to the threat and his predatory instincts were rapidly taking over. All he needed was an opening to exploit! The ghoul knew he couldn't get past the goblins on his own. And then the endless wrapped itself around his skin one more. The sweet feeling of the sticky organic substance felt pleasurable as it tightened its way around his flesh. It was a like a lover wrapping her arms tightly about his person.

Only this was one partner that would never leave the ghoul alone. Lorenor felt the darkness wrap itself around him tightly. This solicited a momentary pause from the goblins; giving the ghoul a precious eternity to exploit their momentary hesitation. It seemed as though they weren't able to see the ghoul at all! Lorenor pondered this as his world became living dark once more. He moved swiftly to the side and was able to catch one of the goblins completely off guard.

A head was lobbed off the neck as it danced in the air turning from end to end and landing with a sickening crunch on the ground. Lorenor continued his movement and prepared to attack the second goblin from behind...

Dirge
02-21-08, 06:14 PM
Of course nothing would be easy and simply abate over time. Carnage’s hand was held by chaos, and the two worked so well together they never seemed to let go. Time lent its support by seemingly slowing down, leaving the two tomb raiders to deal with the ghoulish and crazed goblins. Vigo turned to his companion and opened his thin lips to berate that ugly fucker, but instead his peripheral vision caught the site of a couple pairs of the undead goblins turning and moving towards him. Muted curses slipped through his lips instead in a tone barely audible.

The blade of the one that focused on him swung ferociously at his stomach, the second blade sweeping towards his feet. Through his monotone haze he could see that their entire bodies were coated in a deep black coloration, the virus of Lorenor spurring their movements despite their lives having been forfeit already. The sorcerer wished he could curse at the ghoul, scream until he was out of breath, but the pair was not going to give him enough time to say a word.

Vigo leapt over the swipe at his feet, barely. The other sword caught the outstretched spinal blade in his hands, clashing with a dull ‘thunk’. He landed and pushed away from the pair before the return stroke to his legs could follow through, and pulled his blade upwards to put the second off balance. Using the sword would have been hard enough with only one opponent, swordsmanship a skill he was hardly versed in. But fate and the asshole Lorenor had not opted to give his newfound weapon an easy target; much less a one on one fight.

The sorcerer spun on his heels and swept the blade low. He could feel his body bend forward at its center, stretch towards the two for a better reach. It felt strange, made the uneasy feeling of wielding his spine even more awkward. But the bloodlust was going to be fulfilled, and the new weapon given a chance to show what its worth was. The tri-sided vertebrae that formed the blade were sharp, the points appearing like a hundred small daggers. The closest goblin to the spine caught it with the flat of his sword, but Vigo moved to place the rest of the end against its back and pulled with his might to open up a grievous wound.

The minor victory did not last long. While it screamed and spun to attempt to alleviate most of the pain that flooded the wound, the second attacked and closed quickly. Its speed was amazing, far faster in both initiative and reactions than any goblin the dirge mage had ever seen before. It hopped into the air, and brought down its worn short sword towards Vigo’s chest. The man placed his spine between him and the assault, and was given a small reprieve from the combat as the sword hooked into the bones. He moved his back away in a snake like movement, without moving his legs, and realized the nasty little goblins were striking much harder than they normally would have.

The bladed vertebrae were digging into his hand; a bright crimson flow of blood was slipping from the open wound on his palm. The blood moved down the bladed bone, slowly, as if the movement of the spinal column was not affecting it in the least. The red was the only color he could see, and the bloods vivid shade was shocking and exciting to the sorcerer. The base of the spinal column was changing; the bone itself was shifting to the macabre scarlet coloration. What it meant, Vigo was unsure, but it was interesting and something that he would need to look into further when less pressed for time… much less his life.

Lorenor was doing well, shifting through shadows, carving out gashes into the little creatures. Vigo, however, was not a swordsman and the new spell and ability was something still very foreign to him. Instead of accomplishing an amazing feat by parrying away two bladed attackers, he was being pushed against the wall and toyed with by the ghoulish creatures. Without help, he would quickly find himself run through.

Mutant_Lorenor
02-22-08, 03:17 PM
Quickly dispatching the second goblin; Lorenor's reaction time seemed increased the more he stayed within the embrace of the endless. Lorenor ran the goblin through from behind; sending his sword right through the spinal column of the tiny swordsman. The thing shrieked loudly. Lorenor twisted the blade making sure that his foe felt it; his enemy felt it. Quickly removing the sword from the body of his opponent; the ghoul finished the job off. He wiped the blade clean of black blood as best he could. Looking at the fallen goblin warriors; the ghoul had access to another pair of swords and some other items of interest.

He took a second sword; arming himself with a sword in either hand. The endless opted to remain attached to his flesh. Thanking his partner silently; the ghoul was ever grateful for this blessing from N'Jal. The rest of their journey through the temple would be much easier considering that the goblin army was no longer focused on getting them. Lorenor finished arming himself with the equipment of the fallen. Seeing that the goblins were also armed with the equivalent of throwing daggers; the ghoul had ample time to take six throwing daggers into his possession. They were made of iron and their quality was poor. They would probably only help for one attack a piece which is all that the ghoul needed.

In his current state of being one with the dark; Lorenor moved quickly and reacted with instinctive desire. His companion guided him and whispered into his head the secrets of N'Jal. Lorenor focused on the environment around him and turned towards Vigo's general direction. The twisted sorcerer was having a hard time adapting to his newly acquired power; at least that's the way he appeared to Lorenor. Two of the goblins that were infected with Lorenor's virus were engaging him in direct combat.

Lorenor pondered abandoning the asshole sorcerer right then and there. Vigo merely held the ghoul back and offered nothing but insults and unconstructive criticism. The choice to ditch Vigo passed for a second; but to the ghoul, it was an eternity. He considered the choice and weighed it heavily in his heart for a moment as he attempted to decide what to do next. Then; the endless intervened. Sanguine thoughts flowed through his twisted has he thought about what the endless were saying. Vigo was a gift from N'Jal and thusly; the ghoul could not forsake him. It was then that the ghoul realized he had very little love for the magus. Despite that; Lorenor needed the magus in order to survive the rest of this trip.

Begrudgingly; Lorenor agreed with the assessment of the endless. Vigo was a necessary evil. Lorenor was meant to keep the asshole alive. He was already moving even as the ghoulish bastard began to finalize his desire to rescue Vigo from combat. The ghoul already knew what kind of reaction his interference would probably solicit from the magus; but that was a matter he would deal with later. Fighting filled his thoughts as the sounds of conflict touched against his sensory array. He could feel the war erupting around him more than he heard it. The sounds of the dead, dying, and those who were infected was a myriad of chaos.

Lorenor enjoyed the fact that he had cause the goblins such misery and suffering. The ghoul was somehow related to the vampires and the vampires were constantly at war with the demon ken. Lorenor knew that the vampires of Haidia needed the ghoul for something; but that was an adventure for another night. Just as Vigo was backed into a wall; Lorenor took on the role of a savior. Lunging quickly at the back side of the infected goblins; Lorenor clipped one of them without much effort. The tiny warrior turned his attention towards the attacking ghoul; but something happened. Both of them turned their attention towards Lorenor and stopped their attack upon the magus.

The ghoul pondered this turn of events as he removed the sword from the body of the infected. Lorenor spotted recognition in the zombie's eyes which was a fact that bothered the ghoul greatly. Wayward thoughts entered his mind as he suddenly realized that the zombies were somehow able to telepathically communicate with him! The endless explained the situation.

Lorenor listened to the primordial commands and instructions given to him by his eternal companion. The voices of the zombies were difficult to understand; but Lorenor could hear the basic gist of it. Understanding words and thoughts like hunger and sorrow; the ghoul nodded towards his bastard children. They needed to have their hunger satiated! The ghoul turned around and commanded that they follow him. Much to his surprise; they obeyed his first few commands. An idea dawned on him. Lorenor stood there for a moment and focused on all of the zombies in the general area that were with him. Focusing on a thought to pull them to his person; the ghoul concentrated as hard as he could.

This was the first time he was dabbling with the newfound necromancy. But the ghoul was delighted with the progress he was making. With the endless as his guide; Lorenor felt as though for the first time, he had a chance at making it out of the temple alive! With Vigo in toe! The sounds of combat died down as survivors made their way towards the room where Lorenor was located in. Those that heard Lorenor's dominating thoughts; responded by sending primitive thoughts back. The ghoul kept his eye on Vigo and pondered warning the guy about what was coming. Grinning beneath the mask of the endless; the ghoul decided against warning him.

After all; the son of a bitch had been exceedingly unpleasant during the entire trip so far. And then it happened. Lorenor felt a multitude of presences coming towards the chamber they were just in. Scraping weapons against the floor; scratching claws, the sounds of reanimated dead flesh. He also heard the sound of moans and howls coming from his fellows. Lorenor waited as a multitude of zombies made their way towards the general direction of the ghoul. Lorenor was the quiet little center of the world now and it made the ghoul feel like this had all been worth it. A single goblin which represented the leadership body of the partially eaten horde; approached Lorenor. It seemed that this goblin was able to talk with free speech.

"M-master." It whispered in a raspy voice. "We await thy command." And Lorenor had understood what had happened. Albeit if vaguely. There were generations of infected in the group by now; and some had deadlier strands of the virus in their bloodstream. Lorenor had quickly intervened to save Vigo's ass. Turning towards the Dirge Mage the ghoul grinned as the endless receded beneath his flesh. "We have ourselves an army Vigo. Let's wreak some havoc." Lorenor said casually. "We still haven't found any of this temple's treasure vaults and there is a book I'm trying to find. Anything else we find of interest to you is your payment for this trip. I'd give you gold; but I doubt you're seeking gold anyway. In any event you twisted bastard you; let's get this show on the road."

Lorenor said and took his dual shortswords in his hand. Regardless of Vigo's response; the ghoul made his way out of the chamber and back into the hallway. As he walked forward and into the masses of gathered zombies; the ghoul realized something interest. Thoughts and images were passing across the back of his mind as he came in contact with each of the zombies near him. These thoughts were memories! Images that were fresh in the zombies' minds touched the ghoul's own thoughts.

These thoughts thusly became Lorenor's thoughts. Lorenor saw images of a clan elder and a room several yards away from their position. The goblins were looking for something. N'Jal guided the goblins as well! Lorenor felt anger at that thought but knew that N'Jal had many servants. Lorenor dominated his army by thought and started to walk into the hallway to continue the rest of the trip into the depths of the temple. There shouldn't be many obstacles left except the temple traps and whatever wayward goblin squads remained. Lorenor had a clear goal in mind in the Goblin Chieftain that awaited their command. Lorenor had to say something. He turned towards Vigo as the ghoul horde began to move once more.

"Vigo; there's a leader lurking somewhere in the temple. He's trying to beat us to the treasure in the vaults. We gotta stop them from achieving their goals. This is personal now. You ready to keep going man?"

Dirge
02-27-08, 07:54 PM
Vigo danced, his back against the wall, the blades closing with every swipe. The sword had withheld almost all blows that had been aimed towards him. Crude steel clattered with the unknown strength of the vertebrae, parrying and thrusting. The sorcerer could feel with his free hand, could touch the wall behind him. It’s shattered and crumbling surface mocked his plight, foreshadowing his own untimely demise. But he would not go out easily, or without a last surge.

He struggled, but pulled his bone blade up, catching one of the short swords with the hooked bone. The blade was thrown upwards, carrying with it the arm of the off guard ghoul. The goblins ugly head opened, revealing a maw of sharp teeth seemingly filed to points. Vigo grinded his teeth and pushed off the wall, letting his weight and momentum force back the black skinned goblin. The base of the spinal column struck its face. Its head snapped backwards and a light pop caught the half-elven ears of the dirge mage. He smiled and spun away, letting it crash to the floor. His attention was needed to divert or kill the other while he had an even field to fight on.

Instead of bringing the weapon down upon the ghastly creature, he held it high and restrained his rage towards the thing. Lorenor had joined the combat, striking from behind. The one Vigo had smashed in the face had risen and turned, as the other did, towards their larger doppelganger. “A picture of some fucking disgusting little family…” The sorcerer thought as he looked at the backs of the patchwork armored goblins and the front of Lorenor. The two were not attacking though, their faces were transfixed, and for half a second the sorcerer thought about tearing through their exposed necks.

They talked though, speaking in an archaic common tongue. The halfling had never heard the way they formed their sentences and a select word in the realm of commonality outside of Haidia and the misadventure he had stepped into. Lorenor let his face look to Vigo’s, and the jade eyes of the sorcerer looked into the amethyst glow. His face was passive, his words spoken in an even tone, but he was exuberant beneath that rotting flesh and broken face… Vigo knew.

“A leader?” Vigo said with a curt laugh. “You seem to be leading your own little army of ugly ghoulish maggots, splitting images might I add… what could this other possibly have left to lead?”

The ugly bastards began moving in their own awkward fashion towards the depths of the cave like tunnels. Their claws scratched at the surface of the stone, their armor shifted and tapped against itself, and those with weapons drawn seemingly forgot about them at times and let them drag against the dingy floor. If it had not been for his seemingly insatiable greed, and the single minded drive for power the young and handsomely graceful halfling would have never willingly been found in so droll a situation.

“But if you have some insane desire to read, I can find you a good book back in Radasanth. Perhaps something along the lines of basic hygiene?” The halfling chided and followed after the ghoulish goblins, letting their sick strides and the cacophony of their clumsy march be his guide. He continued to keep up his relentless mocking tone as his cocksure stride leant him perhaps the only normal stride of those assembled. “Let’s go then, find this fuckin’ leader and get your book. I would certainly not be against a reward… perhaps your silly N’jal could help us out with that too while she’s blessing our current progress.”

Mutant_Lorenor
03-18-08, 08:38 PM
He's a consistent asshole, that's for sure. Lorenor had to admire that about his companion. With an army at his command, things suddenly seemed to turn around in his favor. The sudden blessing was a tribute to N'Jal's greatness. If at first the ghoul had doubt to her power and authority, he was quickly dismissing that doubt. The doubt was becoming fanaticism faster than these bastardlings had showed up.

Nodding towards Vigo, the adventuring duo walked off into the darkness towards their final destination. Lorenor could ignore the rapidly muting sounds of progress. He commanded his children of the abyss to destroy whatever enemy units came their way. A few further ahead of their position stumbled across the chamber that contained the Chieftain and his damned Trolls. The child of N'Jal drew his short sword and prepared for imminent battle against the enemy ahead.

Already, the few remaining goblins in the Chieftain's entourage were fighting against Lorenor's ghoul horde. This provided just the opening that Lorenor needed in order to emerge victorious! A treasure vault lurked ahead. The ghoul could sense power pulsing through the air from the vault. It wasn't the chieftain, but it the call of N'Jal. He could feel a dark pulse flowing through the air of the temple. This pulse was guiding the ghoul like a beacon. With his swords in hand, and the newly acquired shield from one of the fallen, the ghoul was better prepared for combat.

Despite that, he couldn't help but wish that he had different companionship actually with him. Vigo was a powerful Magus no doubt, but his mannerisms leaved much to be desired. Lorenor walked alongside his companion as he saw the two giant trolls. The goblins in this area seemed much more heavily armed than the rest of the goblins and appeared to be elites amongst the rest of the group. Lorenor sneaked into the antechamber casually as his hordes of ghouls prepared to do battle. Snarling faces and hissing lips, marched into the room. A larger goblin, sitting near a book, Lorenor's book!, suddenly broke out of his trance and stood up to his full height. He was a goblin that stood a little over five heads tall. He had braided black hair, his eyes were dark blue, he had strange tribal markings upon his person, and he wore a gold belt above a kilt like bottom. His top was exposed and heavy set. Lorenor saw that the little man was extremely powerfully built. He had an air of intimidation about him. He wore a helmet that had a complex series of horns upon it. The Horns of Power! A voice suddenly called out to the ghoul's mind.

Lorenor desired that goblin crown and would make it his own! The ghoul prepared for combat. The twin trolls were both monstrosities that stood at approximately ten heads tall. Their physical stature was impressive as muscles and tribal markings adorned the creatures. Both of them had menacing red eyes. They had piercings in their noses, necklaces resting atop their chest, and armed with various two-handed weapons. They wore no armor. Lorenor guessed that their hides were probably very thick and suddenly regretted his choice of weaponry.

The Chieftain called out to the intruders.

"What is the meaning of this?! Guards, destroy this intrusion in the name of N'Jal!" The Chieftain said.

"I'll teach you a lesson for taking the Dark Goddess' name in vain and committing such a blasphemy against N'Jal! To your death!" Lorenor suddenly called out to the Chieftain.

And as the fighting began, the Chieftain looked at Lorenor and gathered up a nearby sword...

Dirge
03-21-08, 05:00 PM
The ugly ghoul didn’t respond to the quips the sorcerer put forth. It was most likely for the better. To Vigo vicious sarcasm was a way to relieve stress, and little he had been through was near as stressful as the situation before him. There was an army of infected, ghastly goblins wandering around and fighting at the whim of an even uglier bigger version of them. Lorenor was leading him to his demise quickly, deeper and deeper into a randomly warded ruined building and towards some stupid book. But before it all, the realization of just how strange a feeling it was to be looking at his spine was causing him to freak out even more.

The army was on the war path, with the two grave robbers following behind. In the dim light the halfling could still see through the darkness, but the monotone pallid view was growing weary. He had quickly become accustomed to it, to seeing only the vividness of the color red, even to the slip of bloody tears from the edges of his pristine face. It was simply playing with his perspective of reality, twisting his vision and wreaking havoc with what little emotions he had left to care about.

As they rounded the final corner Vigo saw what was to be the last fight, hopefully. Two massive trolls waited to either side of the brutish, tribal goblinoid. They were thick skinned, rolls sagging across their massive frames. Clutched in their meaty hands were large weapons, two handed even for them. One wielded a bone club that looked as if it had been torn from the leg of a dragon. The other was resting an enormous sword on the ground, holding it with only one hand but with plenty of room on the pommel for another of his meaty fists.

“Deary me,” Vigo spat with a venomous tone, “I am supposed to do what exactly against that… thing?” His companion, if you could call the ghoul that, failed to respond. It would not have surprised the dirge mage if he was being completely ignored by that point. Instead his fellow adventurer was looking at the book to the side of the chieftain. It must have been the tome he was looking for because in second the fray and chaos began anew.

Goblin ghouls rushed forward and attacked the remaining smaller goblin horde that waited. The battle was loud, a cacophonous uproar of pain filled cried, battle roars, and the class of metal on metal. Vigo waited, comprehending just what he was looking at. It was like watching a pack of rabid wolves fighting a pack of normal wolves, and it was obvious who had the rage filled upper hand. He waited on the edge, waiting to see what the ghoul did and what the large trolls would do.

The exchange between Lorenor and the goblin chief was, to be frank, ridiculous. Gods, N’jal, all that bullshit was constantly being exchanged and spoken about and Vigo quickly found it annoying. If there were gods, why had they done what they had with Althanas? Why were they not suspending the darkness that overwhelmed Raiaera? Why was there so much wrong with the world if they were supposedly watching over everything? Vigo’s atheistic outlook left him with little respect for the profound importance of the battle, he wanted blood and to leave… that was it.

In a flash of movement he lunged forward around the ghoul. The heavy bone club from the troll was falling slowly, but deliberately. Each blow smashed a fighting goblin or scattered the fight quickly. It was dim witted and most likely unable to discern between which ones were controlled by the rabid ghoul and which ones were on his side. The halfling wasted no time in attacking. His quick, graceful stride brought him through the crashing fronts of warring goblins. Sprays of bright red blood arched before him, the bright red the only color against the backdrop of black and white he could see.

With a quick swipe he let the hooks of the spine blade loose on the unaware troll. The spine struck the side and wrapped around to the back, hooking in deep against the folds of tough skin. Before it could react Vigo twisted his torso and pulled hard with his spine, rending flesh and opening up gashed along its sagging body. The wound was shallow, the weapon doing as much to the troll as a blade ended whip would do to thick leather armor. “Shit,” he muttered as the thing roared and turned towards him. White streams of spittle soared towards him. Vigo’s body twisted in an unnatural way to avoid the spit and he lashed out again, letting the spine catch the inside of an arm and wrap around to the opposite shoulder.

Mutant_Lorenor
03-25-08, 07:43 PM
The room's ceiling was extremely high. Several columns held the ancient building up constructed in the classic ancient Haidian architecture. Whatever built this temple seemed concentrated on keeping this particular room intact for all eternity. Lorenor noticed a mural painting depicting a complex painting on one of the walls. It was another scene of ancient Haidia's history. From his position, it was hard to admire the artwork present within the building. He'd already seen and experienced much of Haidia's ancient history. Learning what he could, Lorenor's world was quickly brought back on the situation at hand.

At the far end of the room, there was a strangely intricate door with a mechanism that the ghoul had never encountered before. He was certain whatever was behind that door was what the goblins were after. A vault of some sort. The scene depicted an battle that occurred many ages ago in Althanas' early history. It was a battle between the early clans of the demonic people. But they weren't warring against one another, instead, they warred against an even more ancient threat. Vampires. The historical mural showed several of the ancient elders of the demonic tribes and early depictions of the vampire elders. At least what the legends said they might look like.

This mural reflected greatly the war at hand. A ghoul, Lorenor was somehow connected to the vampire nation. Current decimated by the dwarven people, the vampires fled into the four corners of Haidia's deep caverns. Lights from torches cast deep pools of shadow upon the cobblestone. Each form seemed to dance as the battle mangled on. It became a tapestry of living and corrupted flesh, bodies dancing in the eternal conflict. Bam! Bam! Bam! Was the sound that came from the troll's club as it crushed friendlies and hostiles alike. The second troll, seeing the gathered threat of the sick goblins, lifted his sword mightily into the air.

Upon hearing the chieftains' commands, the big sentient rotated his weapon and readied a crude combat stance. He began swinging at the gathered mass of both friend and foe even as the other big behemoth engaged Vigo. And what of Lorenor? The ghoul was locked in heated combat with the enemy chieftain...and loosing. Showing superior strength, the small, but well built goblin's leader had more of a refined skill level than the rest of the gathered horde. It was clearly a well trained individual. A king of beasts. Blows flew rapidly through the air from tightly clenched fists. The ghoul had a hard time keeping up with the incoming blows and managed to evade just a few of them.

Those that did connect left a mark. Tossed aside like so much trash, the ghoul was knocked flat on his ass. Quickly covering the ground between them, the chieftain was upon Lorenor. An infected goblin suddenly burst towards the small man. The chieftain reacted by taking out a well formed dagger with a bone handle and a blade made out of some blue material that Lorenor had never seen before. The blade had an eerie glow about it. A moment later, the chieftain removed the zombie goblin's head with a quick swipe of his blade. He then turned the weapon on Lorenor.

Seconds later, the ghoul screamed in agony as the mythril weapon was slammed powerfully into his left shoulder. The goblin chieftain, with his horns of power, looked Lorenor dead in the eye. "You've cost me too much time already, whelp. I was nearly complete with the ritual before you bastards showed up." The chieftain pushed the blade deeper into the small warrior's shoulder, effectively pinning Lorenor to the cold stone. "You'll suffer a thousand deaths in the Great Nether!" The chieftain kicked Lorenor in the stomach. Immediately, the ghoul coughed upward inflicting himself more damage against the blade that pinned him to the ground. Tears of agony flowed down the ghoul's face. But Lorenor did not give up. The chieftain went on a rant about The Great Nether and N'Jal feasting upon Lorenor's soul.

He wasn't paying attention to the fight! Lorenor shifted his body wait and felt the handle of the weapon in his hand. He pulled with all the might his frail hands could muster. A second later, the blade was now in his possession, to use against its former master. Lorenor noticed how light the weapon was compared to the bulkier short swords that the rest of the goblin horde wielded. The ghoul rose from the ground. Holding the newly acquired weapon in his hand, he suddenly lunged at the chieftain...

Dirge
04-05-08, 02:56 PM
Bone crushing blows rained down again and again. The troll’s club fell on friend and foe alike, like a kid with a big stick and a barrel of lizards to smash for the hell of it. Vigo did all within his power to dodge and slip through the conflict. The beast was after him, out for blood and vengeance. Its back was seeping blood that the halfling could see as the deepest a red could be. His whip lashed out again and again as he backed away and tried to circle the outside wall, pulling with him the persistent aggressor. But the task of keeping his graceful stride was as difficult as not having his cranium flattened by the club. Blades and claws swiped at him as he passed the warring packs of goblins, whether by accident or on purpose did not matter.

It was a conflict of wills that budded before the sorcerer, his will wanting to keep him out of range of the club and kill the troll, it’s will wanting to smash him for intruding so suddenly. Vigo lashed out again and again, tearing at the skin along the arms and chest, twice wrapping the whip across the back of its legs with a little more use than anything else. It was oozing with blood, thick blood that ran down its sagging visage through folds of skin and fat. Primal rage masked its oversized head, leaving its black eyes glowing and its open mouth foaming.

A quick attack and the spiked bones tore open an eye and sent the bastard sprawling. It clumsily stumbled on live goblin, kicking them and crushing them as it dropped to its backside. A moment of welcome reprieve left the halfling with a window of opportunity. But he did not attack right away, on its back it would not be concentrating on standing and would be fully expecting the spine to slash out once again. Instead the sweating sorcerer danced away from a wayward crude sword and put enough distance between himself and the troll to be safe for a moment. He would take advantage, just not yet, he was interested in seeing if it was worth his effort.

Lorenor was being beaten back by the swift goblin chieftain. The ugly brute was making quick work of its ghoulish adversary, and Vigo did not like what he saw. There was no reason to continue. Should the ghoul fall he would be left not only with a bloodied troll and its yet unharmed twin, but a massive and angry goblin and the two sides of warring maggots. The advantageous route would have been to flee while the chaos consumed the minds of everyone. He would not be missed, and remorse for his cowardly act would never rise in his mind. After all, the brave were the stupid people that ran headlong into a war, the smart were the ones that fought when they knew they would win.

However, before he could leave the scene, the two fighting dedicates of N’jal decided to start their pious rants. The chieftain rambled about the Great Nether and his goddess, speaking of the downfall of the ghoul. It was a stupid rant, filled with the unknown and idealistically envisioned. Stupid, petty arguments over a faith based conflict that had no basis for the argument. There was no proof of gods or this cursed goddess, and Vigo had heard enough for his own good. Lorenor had too seemingly heard enough, pulling the dagger from his shoulder for use against its former master.

“Shit,” he muttered as the upper hand was restored to his side. There was no longer a reason to flee, just yet, and he took the quick shift for all it was worth. A small goblin coated in the sickly black skin rushed at him. His booted foot caught it in the throat and sent it sprawling into another normal goblin, which it immediately leapt upon and attacked. The fight was out of hand, a free for all with too many opponents. Vigo lunged forward when his troll foe attempted to rise, sending the chain of bones once again across the bloodied beasts face.

Mutant_Lorenor
04-05-08, 07:09 PM
"And lo with the righteous darkness that is N'Jal's glory rise from the Nation of Haidia. Once again we will know our true power and conquer the world--ARGH! You bastard!"

Busy with religious narratives, the chieftain had once again gone on a tirade that meant very little to the ghoul. He wanted his book, he wanted his treasure and whatever else he could obtain from the vault. That precious and newly acquired dagger met its mark upon the chieftain's lower back. Lorenor ran forward and pushed the blade deeply into the creature's body. Turning the weapon with his weight, the ghoul proceeded to disembowel the bastard before him. Lorenor's face became twisted with rage.

Reeling against the sudden sneak attack, the chieftain began to curse in tongues as he attempted to face his opponent. But Lorenor pressed his advantage, keeping the blade buried within the warrior's lower back. He'd pierced the man's spinal column as effectively as that son of a bitch Vigo used his own as a weapon. Lorenor heard the sound of bones popping and flesh being torn apart. The kill would be a satisfying one! Blood spilled from the injury and onto the floor. Lorenor felt his own injuries at the hand of the chieftain's fists, and the blade now in his possession.

The proud chieftain went down upon both knees. He tried to hold himself up with one arm against the floor. Moving to face the book, the chieftain began to chant once more in that mysterious tongue. "I-I must finish the rite!" And so it began. Lorenor held onto the blade, and kept it shoved deep in the chieftain whilst the goblinoid read the passages from the book. The rest of the ritual was completed. And with blood spilling on the ground, moving towards the vault door, a powerful rumbling took place within the chamber.

Lorenor stared in awe as the wall on the farthest side of the chamber, a wall that had an intricate statue in front of it, presumably a depiction of N'Jal, began to move. A split in the wall revealed two sections. The walls parted from one another sliding into deeper sections of the chamber and revealing an antechamber within. Lorenor's eyes went wide as he saw vast riches within the temple's vaults of all sorts. Goblins yelled with greed as they began to head towards the vault, but were cut off by Lorenor's offspring. The ghoul was only concerned with the book, his dagger, and the horns of power.

Twisting the blade now was the final stroke. The chieftain screamed in agony and was silenced a moment later. Immediately, chaos broke within the remaining goblin ranks as they fought towards Lorenor's position. The ghoul understood what was wrong now. Without the chieftain holding everybody in check, the goblins would need to declare a new leader. But with the infected ripping the horde apart, this would be nigh impossible. The remaining troll turned and did something extremely unexpected. It shrugged his shoulders, clearly the more intelligent of the duo, and walked out of the chamber and into the hallway. Lorenor turned to see the odd sight. I'm with you man.

Grabbing his book, and removing the horns of power, the ghoul placed the three newly acquired items in his possession. Lorenor kept the dagger in his hand and stabbed at anything that got in his way. He moved towards Vigo's position, but waited to see if the Mage needed his help.

Mutant_Lorenor
06-10-08, 06:01 PM
(My conclusion post, I'm finishing this one up)

Epilogue.

Time passed mercilessly. Several figures observed the large temple before them as they waited atop a rather tall hill. The structure offered a grand panoramic view of the area. Several goblinoids and orken worked together alongside a duo of massive cave trolls, including the third individual who emerged from the temple virtually unscathed. The leader of the group was another Goblin Shaman, who dabbled in the dark arts. He had an average height for the goblin horde, standing at roughly four feet and two inches, he weighed approximately one hundred pounds. The sorcerer had brown skin, no hair, and horns growing out the side of his skull. He had spikes extending upward from his well developed spinal column. Spikes protruded from his forearms as well. He wore ornate mage’s robe made out of vlince. An intricate amulet was hanging around his neck indicating his position of power within the goblin horde. He had a shield strapped to his back which was made up of dhelar, and he had a short sword with a masterwork handle sheathed in an intricate scabbard. The Shaman’s horde was approximately one hundred strong. Various divisions of archers and forward cavalry awaited their orders.

A wind traveled across the battlefield. Nearby to the goblin horde laid the corpse of a slain drake. Some of the units were busy salvaging the scales and organs of the beast, as well as the useable horns for the goblin smith shops. Several units stood around the Shaman that had varying ranks within the goblin horde.

A conversation was taking place between these units. The Cave Troll that had just rejoined the group was busy retelling his accounts of the battle. He was acting as a forward scout for the goblin horde. The raid was all supposed to go down smoothly.

“So all this mess was started by one individual?”

The Shaman was staring at the massive form of the Cave Troll.

“He turned our brothers against themselves. The madness spread quickly throughout our ranks. We couldn’t trust our own senses. I was lucky to get out of there. I think I am the only one who survived. What will you have us do?”

“Nothing. My main concern was the vault. We failed to procure the vault’s contents and now the infected are everywhere. Normally I would have you lot dispose of the infected but right now our resources are precious and few. We must find other temples to raid. What of the book and the Horns of Power?”

“They were lost in the fighting. Your brother fell in combat. I am sorry. The bastard was sneaky and very cunning. He used our own weapons against us.”

A flinch of anger. The Shaman summoned up energies from The Tap. A glow of power surrounded the powerful magus and he launched several beams of energy from his hand. They were pure bolts of raw Tap energy summoned for the purpose of devastation and destruction. A moment later, there was an agonizing scream and the Cave Troll fell to the ground, dead. One of the nearby goblins approached their leader. “My liege, are you sure that was a good idea? We don’t have many of those left.” The Shaman shot a dangerous look at his companion. “Gather what men we have left in our ranks. Finish ransacking the drake. There are other drakes in the area for us to finish off.”

“What of the Child of N’Jal?” The goblin warrior asked.

“We do nothing. The book and the horns of power will eventually be recovered. He is now marked by the Horde. After all, you keep what you kill. Though my brother has fallen, the bastard child has become our new leader weather he likes it or not. We will make contact with him soon.”

With a contingent of the infected at his side Lorenor wore the Horns of Power atop his head. He had a pair of shiny new daggers sheathed at either side of his person, ready for battle. His book was in his possession and he’d gotten a step closer to understanding the secrets of N’Jal. Now it was a race against time to obtain the rest of the Necronomicon. One book of three to unlock the secrets of N’Jal and forever alter the history of Althanas. Lorenor had won a major victory for himself that day. Leaving that bastard Vigo behind to fend for himself, the ghoul established himself as an effective survivor within Haidia’s wild.

Half expecting a group of drakes to be waiting outside for the survivors of the battle, Lorenor was shocked at the utter silence of the caverns. No movement, no noise. All was deathly quiet except for the rustle of his children. Giving one final order to the ghoul contingency behind him, Lorenor had his companions disperse into the wild. Lorenor kept only a small outfit of about five of the goblins and trolls at his side to finish the journey into the Haidian wilderness. There were other temples to raid. Other secrets to acquire, and most importantly, Lorenor had a story to complete.

And so, the dark hero marched into the wild of Haidia.

The End.

Spoils

001-A pair of masterwork Mythril daggers. Matching masterwork scabbards. The blades glow with a blue hue whenever a threat to the wielder of the blade is present. The glow has no other purpose other than a sort of external danger sense. It cannot detect threats that are using advanced sorts of magic to hide their presence. They are only used to detect immediate threats.

002-The Horns of Power. A helmet of unknown, masterwork quality. The device was used by the goblin horde as a sign of rank and file for goblin leadership. Intricately connected to the dark powers of N’Jal the helmet was said to grant the bearer supernatural strength that grew in time. When passed to a new host, the helmet was said to synchronize with the new bearer and develop a sort of symbiosis with it. The bearer develops two times the normal strength output for an average human. This applies to force of swings and max carrying capacity. This also applies to the max lifting and press of dead weight. The bearer can press twice his max body weight. The helmet currently has three charges a day. The horns are made of plynt.

003-The First Book of N’Jal. The first volume of three masterwork tomes written long ago by unknown authors. These tomes were meant for the followers of N’Jal. Bizarre funerals rites, incantations, invocations, and other sorts of rites dedicated to the teachings of N’Jal lurk within the pages of the Necronomicon. By themselves, each tome posses unique knowledge about the Thayne known as N’Jal. They also posses knowledge based on the All-Thayne and the rest of the Thaynehood. Owning the Necronomicon makes the host of the books an extremely dangerous individual. The Inquisition marks each owner of the Necronomicon as a hated enemy. Thusly, owning the books carries with it a certain amount of privileges and risks.

Breaker
07-13-08, 08:13 PM
The Endless Book 1
Quest Judgement

My eyes hurt.

First of all Pavel, I'm sorry it took me so long to get this judged. I'll do my best to provide in depth commentary, but you know you can always hit me up on AIM if you want some more details. Since all of your partners dropped out of this thread, I'm going to provide commentary ONLY for you. If the others return and want some feedback, they can contact me via PM or IM. Some of the scores may not seem to correlate well with the comments, so just keep in mind that everyone's writing effects the scores, while the comments are about Lorenor's posts exclusively.

STORY

Continuity ~ 4/10. Things just seemed far too convenient. As the QM, I would expect you to add a little more intrigue to the plot. Three people meet at a crossroads, almost kill each other then decide to travel together. The backstory on Lorenor was okay, but again I refer to convenience. I knew why the story was taking place, but it just didn't seem like a realistic turn of events in any respect. Things did pick up with Dirge's entry though, and you tied off the ending nicely, although it was a long time coming.

Setting ~ 4/10. Pavel, at times you overdescribe the setting, and at times you almost forget about it. The biggest problem I have with your descriptions is that it just doesn't paint a vivid picture in my head. I think you need to go back to the minors, so to speak. Try to worry less about fancy stuff, such as including every little detail, and more about making sure the reader knows where they are at all times.

Pacing ~ 2/10. I'm sorry to say that this story did not keep me guessing, or wanting more. In fact, I wanted less right from the getgo. sdwdrake's posts (while abysmal) were like a blessing in disguise because they didn't drag on, and on, and on. You really need to figure out the important events of the story, tell them, and get on with it. I'm not going to lie to you; this thread was extremely difficult to get through, and I had to take numerous breaks to rest my eyes and brain. As a writer, this is not the result you want to evoke from the reader.

CHARACTER

Dialogue ~ 3/10. Lorenor's dialogue seems kind of all over the place. At times he's rather formal, but then he throws out very modern, Earth-sounding phrases that just confused me. He also tends to monologue at undesirable times, and he talks a hellofa lot for a guy who isn't very charismatic. Try thinking about it like this; if what your character is saying doesn't add anything to the plot or to their character depth, there's a good chance it's unecessary. If you use less dialogue, you might feel more obligated to make what Lorenor does say count.

Action ~ 5/10. One thing that really drags at your action is the addition of lengthy descriptions in the middle of fight scenes. Also, this thread just had so much action in it that reading about all the fighting became exhaustive. When a character spends as much time fighting as Lorenor did in this thread, it's hard for me as a reader to suspend my disbelief that he might actually die. Just a general hint that helps me when I'm writing action; try using more verbs and less adjectives to describe action sequences. It keeps things moving and imbues the writing with a sense of electricity.

Persona ~ 5/10. All things considered, I thought you handled Lorenor pretty well. You've been writing him for a long time, and it shows. Just the same, you keep making changes, and at times I get lost in the depths of Lorenor's past and various personalities. Generally though, good job here.

WRITING STYLE

Technique ~ 5/10. You know your literary devices, it's just a matter of using them more effectively. I enjoyed some of the personnification you used in particular. The most important thing for you, I think, is clearing up your writing, and I'm going to say more about this in clarity.

Mechanics ~ 6/10. There was some abysmal stuff early on in the thread, but the second half made up for it. Still, if you want to score eight or higher in this area, you need to spell check and proofread every post. Please... if you take only one criticism away from this judgement... proofread. It will help not only the mechanics, but many aspects of your writing. Also, you overuse hyphens and semicolons. I know you've received this note before, so I'll admit it's a little aggrivating to see them popping up in places they don't belong.

Clarity ~ 5/10. At times things were fine, and then at times I almost lost track of what was going on. You really need to clear up your writing, and I say again for the sake of repetition, proofreading is the way to go. I can't think of any better way to describe it, but at times your writing is so thick, I feel like I'm hacking through it with a machete. Now, if you proofread your own stuff, you will probably notice this and correct it to some extent. It's just a matter of training yourself to deliver concise writing consistently, rather than every once in awhile.

MISCELLANEOUS

Wild Card ~ 6/10. You deserve props just for finishing this thing when everyone bailed. Since this is Wildcard and I can put my opinion here, I've got a suggestion. Write a few threads that aren't quite so long. It will make it much easier to ensure that your partners don't disapear, and much easier for the judges to read it. Cheers.

TOTAL ~ 45/100.

EXP and GP Rewards

Mutant_Lorenor receives 2600 EXP
Daggertail receives 350 EXP and 200 GP
sdwdrake receives 400 EXP and 200 GP
Drake receives 1200 EXP and 500 GP

Other Rewards

Lorenor receives all of his requested spoils. Keep in mind though that the book, for now, is just a book and will not lend Lorenor any powers until he obtains them in other threads. Also, the powers of the Horns are subject to moderator approval at your next level up.

Zook Murnig
07-14-08, 01:18 PM
EXP/GP ADDED!

LORENOR LEVELS UP!

DAGGERTAIL LEVELS UP!