PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who live in San Diego, San Fransisco and Las Vegas...

Falcon Darkflight
06-27-07, 03:15 AM
Well, i'm headed to the states for the second time, and i'm headed there next week. Being a n00b to the US of A, I was wondering if any of you could recommend any worthwhile places to visit in San Diego, San Fransisco or Las Vegas while i'm there for the two weeks?

Obviously things like the almighty zoo and things like that have been accounted for, but what about bars, clubs, monuments ect?

Serilliant
06-27-07, 11:45 AM
In addition to San Diego's Almighty Zoo (which actually uses the much less impressive descriptor of "world famous"), Sea World is also a fun romp. They run pretty frequent specials that let you purchase a ticket to both places at a reduced fee, so inquire at the ticket counter of either if you're interested.

In the realm of free, Balboa Park is also a wonderful place. If you go on a Tuesday, two of the museums will have free attendance. If you don't, then they are still relatively inexpensive to get into.

As far as bars and clubs, Downtown San Diego is where you'll want to hit. Old Town has some fun places as well. Bouncers tend to be a bit anal about the type of identification you use (I've seen both passports and European licenses fail before).

Naturally, no San Diego vacation will be complete without a visit to the beach. La Jolla Shores in La Jolla is one of the world's most beautiful beaches. Black's Beach slightly north of that is also world renowned. If you head across the bridge to Coronado, you'll also have plenty of beautiful vistas and get to tour the monumental Hotel del Coronado. They have AMAZING gelato.

I don't know if you're looking for a 4th of July event, but the fireworks displays in San Diego are great fun, too. Try to find one at or near the beach for the best showings.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure other San Diego denizens can add to my list. If you give me some of an idea of what you're looking for, too, I can add some more.

Atzar
06-27-07, 11:48 AM
You should, like, run tours or something. You almost had me sold on going to these places, and I live in Massachusetts.

Serilliant
06-27-07, 11:52 AM
It's funny 'cuz it's true.

Falcon Darkflight
06-28-07, 02:53 AM
Thanks, that's very helpful. Thanks for also pointing out about ID, as the only forms i'll have with me are my European Drivers License and my Passport. I'll just have to watch it.

How about resturaunts? Any good places to eat up there you would recommend? I'm thinking inner city places to be specific.

Ranger
06-28-07, 05:14 AM
San Diego beaches aren't as nice as Florida beaches, but they're still gorgeous. And if you don't do anything else, visit Coronado... I was amazed.

Heh, I should come back out there for a bit... I love that place.

Falcon Darkflight
06-28-07, 05:37 AM
The problem is I am only there for 2 nights, so I have to sort out a timetable, but I want to see the best bits of what the city has to offer. So far you guys have been pretty helpful, thanks.

The resturaunt question still stands though, my father is currently stood over my shoulder yelling "ask them if there are any good places to eat, damn it son, or you've failed me!".

Serilliant
06-28-07, 09:57 AM
What's your price range and what do you like?

Fia
06-29-07, 07:51 PM
For restaurants in San Diego, I like the Prado which is in Balboa Park, it's around 10-20 an entree I think and is in a lovely location. I'm told their Sangria is very good.

I also love Shakespeares Pub on India St. but since you are from England it's probably nothing to you. It's just the only place I can get good Scottish Eggs.

Also if you want a beach bum atmosphere, there's Hodads which is this burger spot that's tiny, super low key and usually chock full of surfers.

There's a neat restaurant/ bar in Mission Beach in San Diego called the Wave house. It's outdoors and only a sidewalk separates you from the beach, the floors are sand some seats are hammocks, and best of all sometimes they have a wave simulator going so you can watch people surf or eat it.

Downtown San Diego in the gaslamp district is fun. Ole Madrid has a cool little vibe, and if you go towards Little Italy I like Filippi's Pizza Grotto.

A nifty bar is "Altitudes" on top of the Marriot hotel downtown, it's on J street I think. You get a great view of the city and the ball park. I was watching the Padres and the Orioles last time I was there. The restaurant Soleil downstairs has a great burger and the best fries.

Hope that helps! I will post more if I think of it. And here are the websites for some of the restaurants.

I would also recommend going up north a little if you can. Orange County is a great place, especially Newport/Laguna Beach way. And that's about an hour and 15 minute drive.

http://www.wavehouse.com/home.asp

http://www.sdbeachlife.com/hodads.htm

http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/cohn/cohnrestaurants/prado.php

http://www.realcheesepizza.com/web/locations/SD.html

http://www.olemadrid.com/

http://www.shakespearepub.com/

http://www.altitudeskybar.com/

P.S. While in Vegas, if you can go to the restaurant The Red Square, and get fruit and gelato for breakfast from the Bellagio.
And while in Frisco, definitely go to Chinatown for Dim Sum. There's also this tiny little fortune cookie place there too that will make custom ones for you. I'm prone to get "mis-fortune" cookies that predict impending doom, but to each their own.

Ther
06-29-07, 07:55 PM
San Diego beaches aren't as nice as Florida beaches, but they're still gorgeous. And if you don't do anything else, visit Coronado... I was amazed.

Heh, I should come back out there for a bit... I love that place.

North County Beaches > San Diego Beaches > All Other Beaches

sasquatch
06-29-07, 10:48 PM
If you get a chance in San Francisco, drive up to Coit Tower during the night time. Unfortunately, the museum itself will be closed but the view of the city and bay during the night is absolutely gorgeous and totally worthwhile.

Then there's the cable cars. This is like the best way to get around the city if you don't feel like taking the Muni.This site (http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/sanfrancisco/a/cablecars.htm) will get you a bunch of info about where/when to get off and on. I highly recommend snagging a standing seat, hanging on to one of the outside bars, as careening down those steep hills with only inches to spare between you and the cars parked along the side of the street is a blast.

Depending on the car, you are given the chance to hop off in Chinatown, which is great for the exploring of delicious food and interesting shops (and the orgasmic glory that is Dim Sum :D). It's quite a walk, so wear your good walking shoes. Lot'sa steep hills. And be wary of old ladies who hand you brochures for restaurants. Some restaurant owners farm out their grandmothers to wrangle unsuspecting customers. Seriously, they'll follow you for blocks until you reach their storefront, then being sure to kindly direct you in (this is not always a bad thing).

Fisherman's Wharf is another must-see for the visiting out-of-towner. Really touristy, but really fun. Lots of casual places to snag sea food or a simple burger or fries, and there's some more up-scale places to eat as well. Too many to list, but I'm sure you'll find something you like if you head that way. They're all pretty much crowded together.

I also recommend visiting Crissy Field, which is an old airbase, and finding something called the Warming Hut. It's located right by the water and this big old hairy pier that a few of the locals fish off of. They sell books and various odd-n-ends, as well as coffee, pastries, and sandwiches. It has a great view of the Golden Gate (if it's not foggy), and the pier offers a prime location to just sit and watch the water traffic go by. Not extremely crowded. One of my favourite haunts.

An attraction I have always found amusing was the Cirque de Mecanique, located in a big warehouse near the old Constitution (at Fisherman's Wharf). Basically, it's filled with all those old games and stuff -- like the classic fortune-telling lady, strength machines, player pianos, ect.. You just convert your dollar into quarters and have at it! Admittedly, a lot of the games in there are really cheesy, but it's unbelieveably awesome.

You may or may not have already known about these things. :p

Anyway. Definitely try to do the cable car thing. No visit to SF is complete without it. And be prepared to do a ton of walking.

Oh yes. You will walk. It being summer down here, also expect lots of fog and chilly weather. :]

Where are you staying? I know some good places to eat and hang out and such, but San Francisco being the massively confusing and populated city it is, it would probably be easier if I could narrow down my list to places relatively easy for you to get to. Don't worry, I'm much too busy to hunt you down and murder you. :]

Serilliant
06-30-07, 08:02 PM
...there's Hodads which is this burger spot that's tiny...

Whoa... first time EVER I've heard Hodads and "tiny" in the same sentence.

*Joke meant to exclude all non-San Diegans. Haha, you don't get it. Go to hell.