PDA

View Full Version : Sicko and Michael Moore

Ther
07-01-07, 01:15 AM
As some of you know, and others not know, Michael Moore's latest film Sicko opened this weekend. The movie looks at the American health industry and compares it to the care found in other countries, chiefly Canada, France, and Cuba.

So will you go see Sicko? Are you a fan of Michael Moore, or not?

Sword-for-Hire
07-01-07, 04:19 AM
I'll go see it. I'm not some die-hard fan, but movies that let us know the bad side of things can put your own petty issues in perspective. That's how I feel at least.

My mentor feels MM is just an asshole and shows only the bad things about the issues he talks about. I completely agree. But someone has too do it. We know that our government won't want to tell us, "Yea, we kind of messed up back there." If a president won't tell us, "Yea, I had sex with her. My current wife is nagging bitch and I needed a good time!" I seriously doubt they'd let us know immediately about a major blunder on their part that would effect the country.

So yea, that's my opinion.

Kari and Grimble
07-01-07, 04:35 AM
I won't go see it because it's a waste of my $8.50. I'm a poor person who gets sick sometimes. I already know what's wrong with our money grubbing, uncaring industry. Old news, thank you very much.

Serilliant
07-01-07, 09:27 AM
It is old news, true, but it's old news that not a lot of people seem fully aware of. There are many working, middle-classers who believe that the insurance provided by their employer will give them coverage if anything goes wrong only to discover oops I broke a rib and what you don't cover that?

I believe Sicko is more of a raising awareness movie than anything else. And, I have to admit, the timing of the release is spot on. My biggest hope is that healthcare reform will be a major talking point for presidential hopefuls rather than our candidates running solely on platforms of abortion and gay marriage.

Saxon
07-01-07, 12:29 PM
I'll probably see Sicko whether it's in the theater or on DVD, probably the latter. I'm not a big fan of Michael Moore, but it is not because someone else sees him as a hatemongering fool, or he often brings the worst out of the matter at hand; its just the way he raises the issue sometimes. I agree that healthcare needs a major renovation, and there is probably going to be a mexican standoff between insurance companies and our government if they finally decide to step in. Yeah, insurance was a good idea because it puts a buffer in between you and misfortune depending on how much your willing to pay financially, but that idea has gone down the toilet.

Its kind've hard to imagine that an organization that is supposed to help save you grief and possibly your life are taking away just that, but I've heard and seen insurance companies wrestle with doctors and hospitals for money, and when they decide to hit them up for cash there is no fight. No doctor in their right mind will try to take on the people who supply their malpractice buffer because they know the risks and that the potential to drop a troublesome client as opposed to negotiating with them is far more likely.

Sicko probably will be a kind of eye-opener like the movie Super Size Me or things such as that, but I'm hoping that Michael Moore seized this opportunity to expose the unrest in the healthcare industry between the doctors who have become financial nihilists, the money-grubbing insurance companies that are gradually seeping into our judicial system by the way of bogus laws, and our own government who has turned a blind eye upon both.