PDA

View Full Version : At the cartographer's.

sasquatch
07-02-07, 02:24 PM
The shop was a simple affair, robed in what appeared to be sail cloth. A frayed marsh grass rug doing a poor job keeping the customer's feet clear of the naked soil beneath. Sidney ducked fully around the flap which severed the area from the rest of the bazaar, and was immediately struck by the mildewy, organic odour of heated skins and ink. The heavy fabric hanging from the sun-dried saguaro poles around him allowed no circulation; Sid was stifling in the yellow shade.

He removed his hat; felt the fabric ware against unsure fingers. A handful of compasses dangled from a rack to his left, braced precariously against the cloth. The table at his right had an impressive variety of papers, scrolls, hides, bundles of quills, opaque vials and hairy flasks and wallets. Nothing before him but another jaundiced flap, separating the back from view. Sid shifted his weight, hearing the crackle of dry grass, distant laughter outside. A shadow moved noisily past the entrance and coughed.

"H-hello?" Another shadow, this time approaching him, tail up, from around the aforementioned frontal flap. He looked down to see a little tuxedo cat. Sid crouched and scratched behind it's ears, smiling when the creature appear to purr happily.

Artifex Felicis
07-02-07, 08:43 PM
"Her name is Sammy, and she likes fish," came a voice from in the shop. It was a younger girl. On the pretty side, with shortish brown hair and bright eyes. She made a shushing sound, and the cat came over to her, purring as she scratched his head. "What do you need?"

sasquatch
07-03-07, 04:41 PM
"Lookin' fer a compass and a few good quills," Sid replied, straightening. "And possibly a general map of Eluriand. In Raiaera," he added needlessly.

Artifex Felicis
07-04-07, 08:21 AM
"Going to try and make your own map of sorts?" the girl asked with a smile. The cat hopped off of the table, finding a comfertable spot on the windowsill and watching expectently. The girl collected thee quills, as well as a compass in a moment. "These'll only be 65 gold, but I do have a question in how general of a map do you want it to be?"

sasquatch
07-04-07, 06:39 PM
"Not incredibly general, I suppose. Somethin' that details the city...streets n' buildings n' such, and maybe a bit of the land around it. Long as I can read it, I'm good," Sid replied, shifting the strap of his crossbow.

Artifex Felicis
07-04-07, 09:05 PM
"That'll be good, I have one or two maps of the city in here that actually have the names of fountains and trees in Eluriand, expensive little guy," the girl spoke, keeping up the chatter as she sorted through some of the maps in the larger holder behind her. It was made from an old wine rack, and served its purpose very well. She found the one she was looking for, and put it on the table. "This thing will be 75 gold too."

sasquatch
07-06-07, 01:22 PM
"So that'll be..." he thought for a moment, visably counting his fingers. It took perhaps a minute longer then the shopkeeper was used to customers taking, but mathematics had never been Sid's strong point. "...140 gold?" he answered, the words coming out like a question as he rifled around in his pocket, producing the required amount and offering it to her.

AdventWings
07-06-07, 01:36 PM
((I shall be handling your Bazaar Transactions until Artifex Felicis returns.))

"Yessiree, a hundred forty indeed."

Taking the gold from her customer, the little girl paused to count through the bundle of coins before gingerly placing them into the safe deposit box.

"So~ Would that be all for you, or is there anymore else you want to buy?"

sasquatch
07-09-07, 07:16 PM
"No...I'm pretty sure that's everything." He smiled at the shopkeeper and eagerly gathered up his items. "Thanks for your help," the dead archer said, his gratitude genuine, and turned to leave.

AdventWings
07-10-07, 02:42 AM
"Thank you~ And do come by again~"

The little girl waved good-bye to the strange man, wondering curiously as to why he wanted a map, writing quills and a compass.

Maybe he's a cartographer?

With a small shrug, she gently picked up Sammy and stroke her fuzzy ears, returning to the counter and waiting for the next customer to appear.

((Transaction Complete.

Sasquatch loses 140 GP from his Line of Credit and receives one compass, one map and a few good writing quills. He also receives 75 EXP bonus.))