PDA

View Full Version : Peaceful...Yeah Right

Tranquil
07-22-07, 10:22 PM
((Being the clutz I am, I forgot the put this in the title and it seems it can't be added now, this shall have to suffice. This Roleplay is OPEN for anyone who wishes to join.))

Adorned in his new robes, and the Bazaar's loud Buzzing growing ever so much further away, Shu began to find peace at last. "I finally made it out. I'm alone at last. It shall be a dark day when I return again to that place." Shu said, clenching his Staff tightly, digging the spear-like end in the ground as he propelled himself onward in the endless journey of a vagabond.

A strong breeze fluttered past Shu, a chill the likes that would normally would have made his bones quiver he walked right through. His red scarf blended seamlessly with his robes as it moved in sequence with the long folds blowing in the wind. It was only a while later that Shu had come upon a Town, much different from the Bazaar, yes, Shu felt much more at home here. Well, if a vagabond would have a home, this would be it. But it reminded him of his old house..."No, those memories are long gone, never to be remembered." Shu forced himself to lock his mind tightly and walk into the small town.

As he neared the small town, Shu's senses came alive with different smells, bright fires, and the joyous sounds of children laughing. He also saw muggers conversing in small corners, strong burley men, and Women galore. Shu was not exactly sure of what to think of this place, nor even the name of it.

"The Peaceful Promenade..." Shu said to himself as he read a sign overlooking the town. "I'm suddenly thinking that Peace is the last think that I'll find in this city." Shu said as he looked into the window of a bar where drunkards where currently engaged in a battle of life or death.

Shu walked past the bar window and then stopped as he heard a large crash and a dull thud, followed by numerous shards of glass landing on the ground. He stared at the lifeless body on the ground. "Peaceful...Yeah right." Shu shook his head and continued through the town, searching for something that caught his interest.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 12:42 AM
((Moderator Notes: Takes place sometime after Advent of the Artisans (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=6197)))

Mornings at the Peaceful Promenade were never dull. Alberdyne Cormyr finished working a long shift at the local smithy shop, Sleeping Willow. At the tutelage of the local Head Smith, Karxen Deourouge, the boy already knew how to bend Copper, Tin, and basic Steel into more complex forms. Like an emerging painter honing his craft, the boy dedicated himself day after day to his craft. More so as a job for the House of Sora, but at the same time, it defined his purpose now. A recent tragic event in his life forced him to live on his own now, and act on his own.

Walking outside of the huge building, the boy wore better clothing now. No longer sporting cloths, the lad came across some Silfan fabrics saving up some money on recent jobs. Wearing this now, the boy had a scabbard attached to his belt sporting a well-crafted Copper Longsword. His first long sword made in his studies of the smith-crafting. Working alongside Karxen developed the relationship greatly. He now saw him as a Father-figure almost replacing the image of his recently fallen birth-Father. Lord Gallen Cormyr.

A member of a disgraced house of nobles, Alberdyne's family had been forced into exile from the local Aristocracy in Radasanth. Gallen worked to attempt to re-establish fame for his family's name. But a recent tragedy stopped that from ever happening. Alberdyne ended up on his own and working in the smith-shop, a member of the House of Sora. His sharp eyes caught a body and some local guards, big husky men, made their ways towards the commotion. Alberdyne knew these men were somehow connected to the Corone Rangers.

Moving his eyes further along the crowd, the boy spotted a stranger. Someone new to town he'd never seen before. Though it was true the boy worked hard, his well calloused hands reflected his hard working nature. He already began to bulk out and put on considerable muscle mass with all the heavy lifting he did in the smith-shop. A girl from inside the shop came in and offered him a simple breakfast mixture and a mug of local juice. The boy sat down on the front steps to eat his food. He looked carefully at the lad with the red scarf and intricate staff. It seems like Bazaar quality. I might be able to fix that up for him. The boy thought eagerly assessing the quality of the potential weapon.

His hands ached as he ate his food and drank his juice. Still the knowledge he acquired was well worth the price of a little bit of pain. A stranger in the crowd, Alberdyne nodded in a friendly fashion towards the lad. He walked over to him casually still eating his food-stuffs. He took a sip of his juice taking in the morning air.

"Don't worry about that body. The Corone Rangers are the best. They'll take care of it. Best not to ask questions." The boy said in a thick Underwood accent already settling in. "That's a fine staff you got there sir. Does it need some work? I'm a black-smith you see. Well--APPRENTICE Black-Smith anyway." He finished eating his food and tossed the plate in a nearby trash-can. He kept his mug in his hand drinking his juice.

"My name is DYNE CORONA. Pleased to meet you." He introduced himself as his official House of Sora identity opting to leave his former lordship behind.

Tranquil
07-23-07, 01:08 AM
Shu gripped his Staff very tightly in his left hand and extended his right to shake the boy's calloused hand. "This town is full of surprises isn't it." Shu said looking slowly from the body to the boy. "A blacksmith you say?" Shu was very hesitant, and released the grip on the handshake.

"I'm afraid I can not take you up on your offer as of now. This Staff has been in my family for ages. The quality is not of lackluster, I can assure you, and it gets very little use. I'm imbued with the beginning talents of a Magi, and carry this Staff merely as a means of traveling purposes." Why Shu was so casual about the Staff but seemed to protect it with his life no one seemed to understand, but a black gloved fist was almost always seen around the middle of the perfectly balanced weapon.

"Though it would be very kind of you if you could answer me this, where is the nearest meadow? I need a place to sleep, and this Town seemingly does not suit my comforts very well." Shu said, taping the body with his boot. it gasped gently.

"He's alive." Shu said, half astonished, half amused, as he saw the man struggling for every breath he took as the shards of glass pierced deep into the back of his lungs. "What shall be done with him" Shu inquired, half wanting to keep the man in pain and misery, half wanting to quickly end his suffering.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 01:22 AM
Dyne carefully observed the body of the fallen warrior. Shu had a great hand-shake and the boy nodded with his respect. Hearing the explanation of the family heirloom caught the boy's curiosity. Some of the Smiths in the Sleeping Willow could use the magickal arts as part of their craft. Admittedly, Dyne wasn't quite so advanced as that yet. Master Karxen spoke often about a force known as the elemental energy. The other word for it was CHI. He said a skilled black-smith might become a SPIRIT black-smith and use the elemental forces to create powerful weapons. The boy's eyes lit up at such a story and he became eager to travel across the world and become a Spirit-Smith.

These were his thoughts though. Seeing the potential magi lifted the boy's spirits higher. He finished his juice now and set the mug in the same trash-can from earlier moving back to his position near Shu. Keeping quiet for a moment, two large Guards wearing the garb of the Corone Rangers approached the fallen man. One of the men checked the man to ensure that he was alive.

Seeing this answered Shu's questions but Dyne explained anyway. He motioned to Shu that he should step away from the crime-scene. During very tense times now, the Corone Rangers were short-staffed because of Corone's bid to become an Empire. A Civil War lurked on the horizon as tensions continued to increase. Underwood's agents formed an underground resistance movement to counter-act this vie against democracy. But the boy simply cared about knowledge and learning. He was sick of wars and betrayal having recently suffered a terrible tragedy.

Standing broad shoulder and proud, the boy stood of average height. He was square jawed and was clearly a native Althania born. Probably of Concordia Forest origins, though his time in Underwood changed his mannerisms as he picked up a lot from the local loggers and black-smiths in the area. His eyes were deep and filled with the desire to learn, like emerald gem-stones they seemed beautiful and shining. A positive and rare quality these days, the boy was eager and hungry for knowledge of any sort. A square jaw complimented his chin, his nose was well structured, and his eyebrows proudly crowned those magnificent eyes. The boy was an athletic individual now, keeping himself fit with the chores of the black-smith. His hands were large and muscles filled his Silfan worker's clothing. He kept his HAMMER at his belt at all times nowadays. His hair, red and flowing, was kept in braids at all time and ended at waist-length. A cloth head-band covered his forehead for some unknown reason and flowed in the wind. The boy was armed, but all three of his weapons (Two combat batons, and one sword) was sheathed in their scabbard. Along with a cloak, the two ends of his head-band flowed in the wind towards the East.

"The Corone Rangers will probably question him. This might turn into a crime scene. It's standard protocol." The boy said. "We should go inside before they start to question us too." One of the guards nodded to Dyne's general direction since the lad was a recognized worker now. The boy nodded back.

Tranquil
07-23-07, 11:56 AM
Shu eyed the Rangers with a particular amount of interest, but he took the boys words with full caution, and followed after him thinking maybe he would fine some place to rest. "Would can't help but question with a name like the Peaceful Promenade, why is there such a lack of Peace?" Shu's question was vague, for he had only seen one incident occur to date, though he was sure where one was, there were more to follow.

"You also mentioned that it is regular protocol for the Rangers to set up a crime scene around a body like that, so I'm assuming that things like that happen often 'round these parts? I shall never understand life." Shu said, his Onyx eyes peering up into the sky every so often.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 01:45 PM
Dyne listened to Shu's questions carefully. The bar was a good place to hang out for the time being. He entered calmly knowing that Shu would probably follow him. The stranger clearly wasn't aware of the political problems Corone currently had. The Rangers were in full swing manning a sort of underground resistance to the Corone Empire. Dyne thought all wars were foolish, but a necessary thing in certain cases. Life was too precious and just then he found himself thinking of his Father. He missed his Father dearly now and often dreamed of him lately. He put the thoughts aside despite the peculiar feeling that he felt like his Father watched over him somehow.

Entering the bar, several servants greeted Dyne. A waitress named Lucy walked over to Dyne when he entered the bar. He hoped that Shu might be with him and turned around hoping to see Shu there. Even in the day-time the bar was rowdy.

"You there sir? Still with me?" Dyne asked.

Tranquil
07-23-07, 03:15 PM
Shu had been hoping that they were going to somewhere more off the beaten track, but for now, he'd be satisfied with a place where he could rest his weary legs.

Shu quickly followed after he heard the cue to come into the bar, and was slightly disappointed as he saw that it was indeed as rowdy as ever. Shu bowed slightly to the served that the boy apparently knew then turned his attention to the boy himself.

"Dyne you said your name was? In the midst of all this action and peril I seemed to have forgotten my manners. My dubbance is Shu Abishi. Please, no more of this Sir business, I can not be much older than you." Shu said with a weak smile. "Now, if you will, may you have your lady friend lead us to a place where we might sit down? My travels have made me tired." Shu looked longingly twords the green pastured far away from this town, though they were far out of reach.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 05:19 PM
Dyne took a liking to Shu immediately. He wasn't quite sure what it was about the Shepard boy. Something seemed strangely familiar and he found himself at peace near the lad. When the girl nodded to them he guided Dyne and his companion towards a ready table. Dyne moved the chair for Shut to sit in if he so chose, and the youth sat down opposite him. The girl wore a smile as she looked upon Dyne's familiar person. "Will it be the usual Master Corona?" She asked him. The youth nodded in response. "I'll have some Cider this time. Pumpkin Cider. Order some Berry Berry Cock-tail for my friend there. I think that might be good for him since he's new around these parts." The boy said and waited for him to respond.

She got busy preparing their orders. Unlike many of the patrons, Dyne refused to drink alcoholic beverages of ANY sort. Instead he favored drinking milks, juices, and ciders of all sorts native to Underwood and ultimately, Corone itself. Most of the bars and taverns offered a wide variety of exotic juices for those that disliked ale and liquor. A nearby group of travelers drank beer all around the table. Dyne eyed them for a moment recognizing one of them as a customer to the Sleepy Willow earlier in the day. The youth sighed.

Tranquil
07-23-07, 06:02 PM
Shu sighed reluctantly as Dyne pr-ordered his drink for him. "Dyne, your compassion is surely unmatched by anyone I've met in a long time. Please tell me, what is it that I owe you for this?" Shu asked. He wasn't particularly fond of drinking in public, nor was he sure of what this drink would taste like, questions flew throughout his head, but he kept his calm. he had no reason to have a luck of trust in Dyne, not yet at least.

Though as usual, Shu's left hand lay calm, clasped tightly around his stave. He took in all the drinking songs as the locals chugged their Ales as quickly as they could. All around him, Shu heard only mumbled slurs of words that he couldn't even pretend to comprehend. Deep down inside, Shu took pity on their souls. Shu's father experiments with different types of Ales and what they did to the drinkers bodies, his findings were amazing.

"Drink up boys. It just might be the last thing you do." Shu said, smiling quaintly, whistling a quiet tune as he waited to be served.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 07:04 PM
Within moments, the Lucy returned with two pitchers of different juices. One was Dyne's drink and the other was Shu's. With an almost supernatural grace she moved her hands across the pitchers and placed them before their proper owner. Dyne listened to everything that the stranger had to say. He closed his eyes for a moment taking in that scene. Again, something STRANGELY familiar lurked about the other boy nagging at his brain. Teasing him. Every time he tried to remember where he recognized such a boy from, his memories evaded him dancing like a lover in the rain. Dyne could remember every book he ever read and the passages of a particularly dusty old tome of prophecies lurked in the back of his head almost within reach. Each time Dyne tried to tug at that memory, it continued to evade him so he gave up for him.

He felt drawn to Shu. Something about the other boy made him like him immediately and that was rare for Dyne. Dyne was an introvert most times but his time with Karxen the black-smith changed all that. His time in Underwood forged him into a better person. Working with the hammer and anvil made him realize the true nature of the universe. He felt the weight of his pendant from the House of Sora and sighed just then. He wanted this moment to last a long time.

"There are fields outside of Master Karxen's house. He owns a few herds I'm sure it can be arranged for you to work his land. He's a famous black-smith around here and is very generous. I guess I learned that from him." The youth grinned softly. "As for the drinks don't worry about them, they are on me. If you need a place to stay you can stay with me. It won't do to be without shelter. Especially with how dangerous things are lately."

Tranquil
07-23-07, 08:23 PM
Shu toyed idly with the idea of being locked to one place, being coerced to work the land for a few gold in his purse. While immersed in his thoughts, the pitchers of juice were placed with a soft thud on the table and Shu's nostrils were bombarded with the smell of Berry. "My friend, this smells delicious." Shu wasn't used to eating nor drinking in company, it had been many years since he had first been scarred, the reason for his scarf.

"My friend, please do not be alarmed, you might want to look away." Shu warned as he was going to pull down his scarf. "Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't force anyone to see this, but I figure that you wouldn't mind." Shu peeled off the red silken scarf, revealing the bottom half of his face. His scars, and rigid burn marks impacted his face heavily. You could still see that spots where the acid had leaped to his face and drizzled down, peeling the skin painfully from his face. The scarf still holds some semblance of the smell of burning flesh from that fateful day.

"I'm sorry that you've been exposed to this my friend." Shu said, and sipped the cup carefully, making sure not to place the brim anywhere near his damage skin. "On the bright side, the juice is terrific." Shu laughed slightly.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 08:30 PM
For whatever reason, Dyne knew he had a friend that day. His grotesque appearance didn't unsettle him one bit. He was used to hanging around some of the lepers that made their way towards his Father's castle. His Father never turned away anyone who sought shelter as long they worked their place. That's the type of environment that Dyne was brought up in. He believed in working hard and working alongside others who liked to work hard as well. The boy nodded to Shu meeting his eyes with his own. There was no repulsion in the boy, he'd seen worse. Many battles found their way to his Father's property and sometimes bodies came back horribly marred. In his son's education the Duke made sure that he saw everything.

Some of the injuries were quite horrid. He thought back to the book that tormented his mind as he took a sip of the pumpkin cider. It was sweet, the pumpkins began to ripen in certain places and were imported from those areas where the weather followed confused patterns. Such places existed all over Althanas as a direct result of the Demon Wars many ages ago. The boy thought back to his studies now memorizing the way his friend looked. "I've seen worse don't feel too bad. At least you have your health." The lad said in a warm sort of way. His eyes intense and sharp eager for some clues to the mystery man's origins. He knew about the staff, somewhat, and he guessed the scarring had something to do with the staff. His quick mind sought answers.

Tranquil
07-23-07, 09:11 PM
Shu snickered quietly as he heard Dyne's comment. "Health, yes, I once knew what that was." Shu finished the last of his juice and placed the mug on the table. he quickly retied his scarf in it's upright position, the folds around his mouth moved ever so slightly as he drew in a breath and exhaled.

"Yes, I see it in your eyes, you are curious about what happened. Though I thank you for taking the scarring lightly. You are one of the few." Shu said, recalling memories of before it was even this bad, he had caused a spinster to have a stroke when his scarf blew off in the wind.

"Well, I can tell you this much. My father, a greater Alchemist than i shall every endear to be meddled with the elements." Shu sighed. "Incendious." With that, the flicker of light lept from his right hand and bounced across the table, making it's way twoards Dyne in it's colorful spectacle before fizzling out.

"I tried to save him, but by the time I found him, he was nothing more than a Puddle of dampened clothes. In my rage I destroyed his years of work, research, everything. The acidity in his potions ended up all over my face, and here I am today, hiding behind my Fathers red scarf like a coward. it is one of my last Heirlooms of his, that and..." Shu's eyes glanced over to his oaken Staff, he couldn't speak the words.

"Through the years, my skin still seems to be eaten away by the terrible acids. I've yet to meet an Alchemist strong enough to cure me of this disease. I'm nowhere near experience enough to concoct a potion to cure it either." Shu sighed in exasperation. "My father's potions cursed me, and only he has the power to cure me. I know not how far the disease will spread, or if it will stop ever. it's a guessing game." Shu slammed his fist down heavily on the table.

"I know nothing of health." Shu muttered.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 09:40 PM
The damned book that Dyne thought of finally manifested briefly when the other boy suddenly spoke of not having any health. IT ALL MADE SENSE. He saw the book clearly in his head and turned the pages remembering the passages that dealt with specifically HIM. If he died on the third day and the corpse was never recovered could this boy be the incarnation of HIM? The boy suddenly got filled with an overwhelming pride at his discovery of the shepard. Dyne reviewed the pages in his head over and over quickly. Studying the passages as he observed his finding. His eyes went wide. In his mind's eye he didn't see a burnt up figure no--he saw a Savior and a Prophet. The King of the Chosen People of Promised Land.

Dyne did the only thing he knew to do. In his excitement his hands started to shake visibly. He took a deep pull of the pumpkin juice trying to relax himself but the feeling welling up in his stomach was far too great now. He stood up suddenly and walked over to Shu calmly with his knees shaking. Perhaps his Father had finally found a way to redeem the name of the Cormyr household by sending him this mixed blessing? The youth suddenly knelt before The Savior, or at least what he thought was the Savior. The coincidences were far too great and the youth didn't believe in it.

"My King I have waited a long time to find thee." The boy suddenly said.

Tranquil
07-23-07, 09:54 PM
"First Sir, and now My King? What is it with you Dyne? Stand up, you're making a scene." Shu said, pulling him up by the collar of his shirt. "I've no idea the stunt you are trying to pull. But I am no King. I am a Vagabond from the East." Shu said, standing up from his seat. "We shall make our leave before you draw an even larger crowd." Shu said, and with a firm grasp still on his Staff, he walked onward for the door, anticipating for Dyne to follow

Shu tried to connect to words of Dyne to his actions, but it wouldn't fit. Surely Shu's clothes nor words nor his actions were that deem able of a King, he surely couldn't look like a King with the scaring of his face, Shu's mind was now buzzing with questions that he indeed sought answerers to.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 10:00 PM
Some people indeed talked about the odd scene before them now. But since Dyne was a black-smith it never got too bad. The youth sighed at his haste, he probably needed more care in his tactics. He rose from his awkward position with a sheepish expression on his face. Rubbing his knees calmly Lucy walked up to him and asked him if he was well. The youth simply nodded his positive status. "I'll go get him hang on." The boy said.

He moved towards Shu's person. His face still wore that sheepish expression on it when he caught up to the other. Dyne attempted to place his hand upon Shu's shoulder. "I'm sorry I got a little carried away back there. It's all right the guards in the bar will make sure we're safe. Come back so we can finish our drinks. You reminded me of a Character in a book I read once. It was my fault, just a case of mistaken identity." The youth stammered out quickly.

Tranquil
07-23-07, 10:09 PM
"Yes, well, as much as I'd love to go back into the lovely tavern, I also have some lovely drunkard in there thinking that I am a King. All of the Corone Rangers in this town couldn't fight off the drunkards in that bar." Shu said stabbing the end of his spear into the earth. Maybe he was being to harsh on Dyne, it was only a mistake after all. Though Shu did like his extremities attached where they were, and he wasn't all that excited about loosing his money purse if a fight broke loose when they saw a supposed Nobility.

"If'in you don't mind, I'm rather tired. You did mention shelter for the night correct?" Shu said pointing to the Moon with his Staff. Time is against us and I don't know how far your shelter is. This place has prove to be nothing but trouble, I'd rather be heading out sooner than later." Shu ended with a sound of authority, though he had none to his name. A vagabond controlled his actions alone. Though Shu was thickheaded, and if he pressed hard enough, he figured he could get himself back to the safety and serenity that he preferred.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 10:26 PM
Nodding calmly, Dyne remembered his earlier promise. "Yes of course. See the smith over there? There are some houses behind the lot there. We can rest in one of those--you'll have your own room if you like." The youth said. In some ways he was already becoming a man quickly, but in a lot of other ways as well he was still just a boy. A boy living in the harsh world of Althanas. Taking a look back to where the body of the stranger had been earlier, he noticed yellow tape covering the area labeled Crime Scene. This made the youth shiver.

He knew that somewhere the Corone Rangers worked the stranger. That was the price one paid for getting out of line. That's why he knew they were safe. "I just gotta take care of one quick thing. Wait out here Shu." The youth went back into the bar for a moment. By now, the effects of liquor and beer made the imagery of the youth kneeling before the burnt faced man a long forgotten memory. Dyne counted on this. He spotted Lucy, kissed her on the forehead, and paid for his drinks as well as Shu's. She blushed quickly and hugged Dyne back. The youth whispered something into her ears and then went back outside to meet up with his newly found friend.

"We're covered now, let's go get some rest its been a long day." Dyne Corona said and started to walk over to the guest house that Karxen gave him.

Tranquil
07-23-07, 10:49 PM
"My own room?" Shu said, the words roiling off his tongue as if he had never owned his own room before. "It sounds appealing, I might have to take you up on your generous offer." Though when Shu was told to stay back, he did as he was told, walking ever so much closer to the the body outlined in yellow tape by the window. But it seemed as if Shu had inched just a bit too close, and he Caught Dyne in the end of his embrace with Lucy, and Shu walked briskly back to the spot where he had been told to stay, his staff clicking on the pebble littered roadside.

"Is this Lucy more than a friend to Dyne?" Shu played with the words on his tonger, wondering if he had arranged for something to have been done with the drinks. "He did order me my own drink, and I didn't see him pay for it. They might be in ca-hoots." Shu's mind was racing again with the thought of the boy buying him a drink, calling him a King, offering him his own room to sleep. was the going to be the tragic end of Shu?

"Keep cool, it will not end like this. You have to pretend like you do not know." Shu said, wiping the sweat from underneath the brow of his white hair.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-23-07, 11:46 PM
Dyne left the bar with his wallet in his hand. He counted the few coins he'd earned on his simple copper equipment and spotted Shu. He'd used his money to pay for their drinks. The boy had a smile on his face as he approached Shu seeing a momentary look of worry cross the other's eyes. The youth found that strange. Had he done something wrong? The apprentice wondered. Moving towards Shu now the youth felt like asking him.

"Is everything okay? I went to pay for our drinks. You see? I wasn't gonna leave without giving Lucy her tip. She's been my best friend for a long time now since I moved to Underwood actually. She's been a real big help for me."

The boy said an innocent expression crossing his eyes now. As if he had a naive view on women. After the words he started moving towards Karxens' workshop and strangely enough, the man himself stepped out of the huge shop. He walked over to Dyne and greeted him with a big hug as if a Father hugged his son. Dyne looked over at Shu. "Master Karxen, this man will be staying with me in my guest house as my guest. Is that okay?" Master Karxen nodded his approval. "Any friend of Dyne is a friend of Karxen."

Tranquil
07-23-07, 11:58 PM
"Really, everything is fine, I do believe it might just be a mixed reaction from the Berry juice and the lack of sleep." Shu said as he took the walk over to the house, his Oaken staff continuing to clank on the pebbles as the sharpened edge stabbed the road.

When Shu finally reached his destination, he knew that rest was so close at hand, and after the formal greeting were over between Dyne and his apparent Master, Shu stepped up. "Karxen it is? Shu Abishi, Vagabond Magi of the east. I am grateful for the offering of a room in your humble abode, and Dyne here has done ever so much for me already today." Shu looked around the area, and then continued on. "Being a traveler, I've gotten mighty used to sleeping in the open air, a warm fire next to me with a grass beneath me. I don't think I'd get any rest in a bed. If you be as kind as to spare me a stable, then I would go about my business and stay the night." Shu said, bowing intently before Karxen.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-24-07, 10:44 AM
Karxen was a big man. A master black smith if there was ever such a thing, but not a master-smith himself. Titles were important to the social elite of Althanas and Dyne simply had himself a membership in the House of Sora and was a basic smith--apprentice. An apprentice in much the same way that Shu was an apprentice Alchemist. The youth remembered reading works on Alchemy and was always fond of the subject. He felt surprised that the other never came across another Alchemist since they were so common in Althanas anyway. Wasn't there some cult dealing with Alchemy? The boy wasn't quite sure but he remembered reading something about it.

He watched Shu and Karxen talk. The big man, though serious, always kept a jovial demeanor about his person. His wife (She worked at the reception area of the Sleepy Willow) was also known for being a very kind-hearted individual taking care of stray orphans displaced by Corone's bid to become an Empire in its currently weakened state. The strife in the Aristocracy right now was the talk of the town. Everybody watched everybody's back in the poor districts in such places as Underwood since the nobility as a general rule could not be trusted. Spread thing, the Corone Rangers was forced to deputize outsider members en masse.

"As I said earlier, any friend of Dyne's is a friend of mine." By now it was understood that Dyne preferred using his House of Sora name. He'd left his former identity behind along with the tragedy that placed him in the care of the House of Sora. In a lot of ways he respected Shu's relationship with his Father, strong family ties were always important. Dyne nodded towards Shu and smiled brilliantly. He made his way towards his guest house, knowing he shared it with a few others already--one more guest wouldn't be a problem since there were many bed-rooms already in it not occupied. Karxen's family even owned a local orphanage.

Silas Kilam
07-24-07, 12:45 PM
Alchemistry is a touch-and-go thing. you eigther get it right, or you get it wrong. and if you get it wrong, the consiquences can be horrendous. Silas had learned this early on when he had tried his first potion. the thing blew up in his face when he fudged the last step and added a bit too much of an ingrediant. Silas applied this to life, as well. never jump into something without watching, observing and evaluating. and he was now acting on this information. he got up from the table he had been sitting at and walked accrost the field. he walked up to the blacksmith. "I'm sorry to intrude, but you mentioned this guy being a royal back in the bar?" the question made the young vampire shudder. he didn't know if knowing that he was a vampire would be something that this blacksmith would have trouble with, so he tried to hide his teeth and fangs.

Tranquil
07-24-07, 12:54 PM
Shu sighed heavily as he finally came to grips that Dyne and Karxen wouldn't let him have his way with his preferred bedding. He began walking onwards to the room when he felt a rush of Dark energy flow through his veins. He heard the voice speak and it made his blood run cold. Shu threw a backwards glance and saw Dyne speaking to a man. He wasn't quite sure what it was about him that flowed with the immense Dark energy, but Shu wasn't going to stick around. He had been in the bar when Dyne had lapsed in his judgment and Shu wanted to get away quickly.

"Please, I'm not well. I wish to go to my room and sleep this feeling off." Shu asked quietly, and walked a bit faster.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-24-07, 02:12 PM
((Welcome aboard))

Another stranger showed up. Vaguely recalling him as being one of the bar's residents, the boy observed Shu's reactions and nodded. "If you're tired go ahead and go to sleep I still have more work to do back at the smith-shop if you don't mind. One of the house-servants will show you to your room." He looked at his boss, Karxen and smiled for a moment before turning towards the vampire. Karxen moved back inside the Smith-Shop to attend to a huge back-log and order of weapons and armor he needed to attend to. Dyne decided to take care of the vampire on his own in a friendly way of course since the youth knew nothing of his dark history. The boy took up an equally friendly mile to Silas.

"Hey mister I remember you from the bar. Nah it was a common mistake of identity. He reminded of someone I read about in a book. That's all I guessed I rushed to judge as they say. What can I do for you sir?" Dyne wondered of Silas.

Tranquil
07-24-07, 03:50 PM
Shu followed the house servant quickly as he heard Dyne engage the man in conversation. "The boy really will talk to anyone. Is he that foolish that he can't sense something inside that man?" No, Shu quickly dismissed that factor and bowed before the Servant as she opened the door for him.

It was a cozy little room, nothing to large or fancy for his liking. Shu quickly bolted the door and cast his clothes on the floor near his bedside. Though there was an immediate problem that he had tried to fix, which apparently Dyne would have one of. Shu was so used to sleeping on the floor, where he used to holding on to his staff ever so tightly. Though it was a safe nights rest, and the door was bolted, he had no reason to worry.

Shu stood his Staff up against his bed, and he lay his tired body on the bed and shuffled underneath his covers. Though for being so tired, no rest came to Shu Abishi.

Being in a Bed made of metal springs and cloth sheets brought back memories that he didn't want to remember, memories of his old life in his country home. Smells of his father Alchemist concoctions and his excursions in the wood near his house. Shu's rest was filled with Nightmares that caused him to toss and turn, and the smell of the Acids burning his face slowly returned to his nostrils once again.

Silas Kilam
07-24-07, 10:24 PM
"well, your statement in the bar intregued me. I'd like to know more about this book you refer to." Silas began. "What I can do to repay you, however, I don't know." he started to smile, then quickly closed his mouth. if he was going to reveal his status as a vampire, he would do it when it wouldn't harm him or anyone else in any way. he noticed someone coming out of the bar, seeming rather drunk and ready to kill someone. Silas's instincts screamed at him to go for his sword and be done with it, but Silas resisted such earges. he watched and waited, as a good alchemist should. the drunkard, luckily for him, was a jello shot away from Alchohol poisioning, or he was extremely nearsighted, because he limbered on.

Silas turned back to the blacksmith. he looked like he was going to say something, so Silas stood and listened.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
07-25-07, 10:01 AM
Knowing full well the inebriation caused when people drank too much he basically ignored the situation with the drunk. If the drunk got too rowdy the Corone Rangers would deal with him in force as they did with the other fellow from earlier. Dyne shifted his body weight for a moment looking at Silas seeing how strange this individual was compared to Shu. Two newcomers in one day, who would have thought? The boy listened to Silas' remarks for a brief moment and then nodded in return.

"Hey don't worry about it. We believe in helping strangers here in Underwood just like I offered my friend in the house if you need a place to stay you're welcome to use my house as well." Dyne said. He had several guests already but it was not a bother. More people in the house meant more worker. "Say one thing my friend--your sword there. Can it use some black-smith treatment?" Dyne asked in an eager sort of way. He knew how to bend copper, tin, steel and iron. "The book I talked about is particularly old. Its filled with proverbs and ancient prophecies. Though it was discredited long ago by the Church of Ethereal Sway."

Tranquil
07-25-07, 12:54 PM
When it came to the point in the night that Shu's down pillow that he had been given to sleep on had been drenched in his own sweat, he just couldn't do it anymore. The nightmares were too frequent, and the bed to unfamiliar to get any rest. True, there was comfort, but not the internal peace that he was searching for.

Shu stood wearily from his bed, slightly light-headed and dressed himself quickly. He walked to his door, and cracked it open, then flung it open fully. He was expecting to see none in the hallway, though surprised as he was, Dyne and the one before were still engaged in speech. "Joyous." Shu said, his staff clutched tightly in his hand as his bloodshot eyes searched for a different way to go, but there was none. His feet gently carried him up to their grounds, where he nodded silently, not saying a word, vivid memories of his Nightmares still haunted his waking hours.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
08-08-07, 11:16 PM
Dyne rarely slept. He knew their guest was safe in the house so he rested for a while, sitting in a deep meditation. Furniture in his room seemed simple and very mundane. The youth sat on his bed for a moment listening to the sounds of the house, and the sounds of his heart. Spirits lurked within this area but they kept to themselves adding a sad sort of atmosphere to the house. Though the house itself felt like a lively place to live, Dyne hardly graced it with his presence. He opted instead to work and train. His two favorite places were the sparring areas of Underwood, and the Sleepy Willow. The one place he could go where nothing else but work mattered.

These quiet times brought back memories of Alma Cormyr's betrayal. The youth tried to shut out the demons in his heart but they came anyway. Despite the meditative position, he still needed to fight and come to grips with the past in order to claim his future. The youth stopped fighting the memories and saw his Mother killing his Father and the butler named Reeves. Both of the men were his closest friends, his only family. Dyne heard Shu stirring in the other room and got out of his bed. He shrugged off the earlier encounter with Silas as just another stranger in Underwood. The youth made his way towards Shu's position after cleaning himself off quickly.

"Hey how did you sleep Shu?" Dyne asked.

Tranquil
08-08-07, 11:57 PM
"Sleep...” Shu murmured silently as he was questioned. "I haven't gotten a full nights worth of sleep in years." Shu said as he wiped the blur from his eyes. "Not to mention that I had to sleep in a bed, which I was not accustom to. But a night’s sleep is sleep." Shu said in his groggy state.

"But what about you? It looks as if you have just seen a ghost. It seems as if sleep is really the furthest thing from what we need." Shu clasped his tightly around his Staff and began walking for the open wilderness.

"My friend, I need some peace in my life, and from the way it seems, I can't find it here." Shu turned his head back to look at Dyne. "I'm going for the peaceful hills, thought you are free to come with me if you please." Shu turned back toward the opening of the house and walked again, his red scarf blowing in the wind.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
08-09-07, 01:03 AM
((I'll show you how to do your Spoils Claims. And then we can end it right about here. Do your Conclusion next))

Dyne stared after his friend for a long moment thinking about everything that transpired. In a strange sort of way, the youth felt he knew Shu already. The similarities between Shu's person and the Character in the book he remembered stunned Dyne deeply. He knew there was more to Shu. The idea of having the man on the property thrilled the youth because he'd have a friend. There weren't many his age that he associated with except for that girl Jessa, and the one from the bar--Stacy. But the relationship with Stacy wasn't a romantic one at all.

Preparing himself for a hard day's work, the youth grabbed his Smithing Hammer in hand. Walking out of the edifice he instructed the servants of the house-hold that Shu was to be considered a permanent resident. He liked the idea of having the guy around to tend the herds. Someone needed to perform such a task. The young man made his way towards the Sleepy Willow to claim his destiny.

The End.

****Spoils Section****

001--Blacksmith Skill at level 0--Dyne works constantly with the smiths of Underwood to refine his Blacksmithing skills. He can currently mend Copper, and Iron. He has the capacity of making Common-grade equipment. It takes him approximately one full quest to make a piece of equipment and he can only make five pieces of equipment in this fashion a day. Equipment made in this fashion is for sale. Up to the Bazaar profits of standard. ((Available at level 2))

002--Black-Smith Hammer--Given to him by Karxen, a locale Master-Smith working for the Sleepy Willow, the Hammer is a hand-me-down piece. It is made of Liviol wood and thusly of sturdy construction. The hammer is also forged with bits of Iron and Copper melded into the Liviol's molecular structure to enhance the composite make-up. This allows a skilled Smith to effectively mold Copper, Tin, Iron and Steel. Basically almost any low level tier minerals from the first ranks. This Item is marked with the markings of Karxen's lengiage and contains currently useless marks of a Spirit Smith. This Item is not usable as a Weapon. Dyne carries it with him attached to his belt. It is always on his person. It is the first Hammer that Karxen ever used in his career. ((Available at level 2))

Tranquil
08-09-07, 11:10 PM
Shu cast one final look as he left the small town, his mind busy with thoughts in his head. In one way Shu knew that he would always be welcomed back, with a place to stay the night; but that wasn’t what he wanted. Shu was now out in the open fields, his hair blowing in the clean, fresh breeze.

Back to his vagabond ways, traveling through the open grasslands, Shu realized that this was what kept him happy. Shu clenched his staff tightly and sat down in a shadowed area and withdrew his Book of the Magi. “Keep an open mind, and an open heart, and the young Magi shall grow stronger than any amount of training shall provide.” Shu read the hand written text aloud to himself. These woods were different from the rest. They seemed to be written some red color opposed to the ink the rest of the book was in, but Shu thought no more of it and pondered the statement.

“I suppose it could be true. One with an open mind and heart will gain allies, as those with hearts of stone will only fight with the power of themselves.” Shu began to string together his words as it made more and more sense. “I would certainly hope that Dyne shall be there for me if anything shall ever happen to me, and I as well for him.” Shu closed his book gently and began on his road once again.

-The End-
Spoils
Open Mind- After reading the statement in his Book of the Magi, Shu realized that it is good to often tear down his barriers, and let other people into his life. This is a Passive Skill that will help Shu develop close bonds with other players.

AdventWings
09-13-07, 06:45 AM
Here is your Judgment!

Story

Continuity - 4

The writing of a quest is like the telling of a story - there should be some purpose to the events happening here. While there could be one, such as helping Shu to develop an open mind, much of what would be relevant was lost along the way. The purpose of the story also kind of jumped out of nowhere, but could also be gleaned after carefully following the story piece by piece. While not exactly the best I have seen (especially from Dyne, who almost had no purpose here except for showing Shu around the place) but could definitely be something meaningful in the end.

Setting - 4

Fleeting and generalized. Something that you both should avoid. Have some depth to the fields and the towns will bring out the life of a life in the town. There were a few redeeming points, such as how Tranquil noted the feel of being out in the fields again, and those should be some guidelines to writing good Setting.

Pacing - 4

Pretty bearable but perhaps a bit too rushed. Silas' entry pretty much killed the flow of the story, especially since there was apparently no purpose to his appearance at all.

Writing Style

Mechanics - 4

There were a lot of misspelled words and misused punctuation (not to mention some nasty run-ons) that could be avoided after proof-reading. Then again, not many people like to reread their posts and make changes even when things were apparent. Remember that before a good story really stands out, a writer often has to make many tiny edits before the feel comes out just right. Don't be afraid to edit your posts, just alert your writing buddies when you do them.

Technique - 4

Not much literary devices that stood out. Could definitely use some more where appropriate.

Clarity - 4

Brevity should not attempt to kill detail. While short posts are easier to read, they are also notorious for exclusion of tiny details that could change the flow of story. Some passages in the story did not even have a purpose beyond "just that" such as Dyne's description in post #2. Try to avoid that, please, and work the details into other parts along the way.

Character

Dialogue - 4

Dyne's words appear very forced, especially early on in the story. It's almost as if something else took over his mouth and started speaking in his place. Apparently he hasn't found his voice yet, nor his internal voice which would also dictate his actions and thoughts. A good exercise for finding his voice is for the writer himself to speak with his character, using the character's motivation and thoughts as the basis for his voice. For Shu, he seems a good deal more believable in his words which corresponded with his past and present mindset.

Action - 7

Tranquil - Very good, very believable and very interesting. You did not neglect all the small details of his character's pose, also indicated by his constant hold on the staff. Small things like that really showed the character's attachment to his property.

Alberdyne - Fairly good and believable. You've gotten the character's feel down pretty good and did not neglect his motivations. Now, time to work on his speech pattern. :p

Persona - 6

Shu came off as a tortured soul and a cold man. With a good heart. You could expand on that a bit more, though, to make him stand out even more. As for Dyne, a bit shallow and two-dimensional compared to his other appearances in previous RPs. Gotta work more on that, I guess. :D

Miscellaneous

Wild Card - 5

Anachronism popped up out of nowhere in a couple of areas, such as Dyne's motion to put his emptied glass on a trash can. And the "yellow tape" noting a crime scene. I don't think Corone has any of those in this timeline, though.

FINAL SCORE – 45!

((Rewards + Spoils))

Alberdyne Cormyr receives 780 EXP and 280 GP. He also receives the Blacksmith Skill, Level 0 for his time working in the Smithy. The Blacksmith's Hammer, though, was not mentioned in the RP but I'll give it to you assuming that you left it in the smithy earlier that day.

Shu receives 800 EXP and 300 GP. He also receives the passive ability Open Mindwhich should be properly approved by the RoG upon reaching level 1 or Mid-Level Update, should anything else be changed.

Silas Kilam receives 250 and 40 for his short cameo walk-on.

Happy RPing, guys.

Letho
09-13-07, 09:45 AM
EXP/GP added. Alberdyne_Cormyr, welcome to the next level.