PDA

View Full Version : The Wetlands (Location C)

Max Dirks
07-29-07, 10:14 PM
Several small creeks meet in this area before adding to the main river. The swamps make travel difficult for some, and the areas' natural protection is significant. However, skilled generals will find effective ways to navigate through the region. Grasslands are to the north.

This is Thoracis' starting location.

The tournament will begin when 6 threads have been posted in this subforum. Good Luck!

Thoracis
07-31-07, 08:41 PM
There were precious few hours left until sun up, yet the murky swampland was still aglow by numerous torch lights and cook fires. In many parts of the camp man, elf, and dwarf were hard at work, diligently preparing for the trial that would come with the dawn. Despite the lack of rest there was an unmistakable buzz amongst the eclectic group of soldiers that stretched throughout the wetland. Few times in history had the many races of the many nations of Althanas come together under a single banner. Surely it had never happened in the lifetime of any the soldiers present and the prospects of what they were certain to accomplish was enough to excite anyone. But of course, before there could be battle there was a seemingly endless amount of work to be finished.

Fate hadn’t exactly been kind in the hand it had dealt the amassed force. While the swamps would surely be a highly defensible position the logistics of moving so many troops in it in the meantime was a headache. Numerous streams and smaller tributaries of the large river snaked through the area making any kind of sustained march through the area all but impossible. For hours the dwarves of Kachuk and men from Yarlborough had been hard at work chopping down trees and stripping them of limbs to create makeshift bridges for the troops and horses to cross the water quickly. They were crude structures, really, but would suffice for the task at hand and could be destroyed in a hurry should they have to retreat back across them, though nobody actually expected that to happen.

Preliminary scouting had already revealed the large river to the east and an expansive grasslands to the north. As of yet a path across the larger body of water hadn’t been found, but the Salvarians of Sulgoren’s Axe had already been dispatched and wouldn’t stop until they found it. This made deciding the armies route easy enough, though there was some contention amongst the command.

“We should move the entire army north. What point is there in defending this God-forsaken swamp?” Many Lieutenants had voiced the same concern over the previous hours. Still the General would hear none of it.

“The decision has been made.” He spoke sharply, tired of having his orders questioned. In years past such insubordination would not have occurred, much less been tolerated. He had expected this small amount of doubt however and would let it slide for now. Nobody had seen or heard from him nearly a year, not since walking away from Lornius as champion and he hadn’t lead an army in nearly three, since his exile from Alerar. Of course there would be doubters. He reveled at the chance to prove them all wrong.

“I will set up a defensive command here.” He pointed to the crude map he had been given by the scouts, directing his Lieutenant’s attention to a small alcove on the river’s bank to their east. “I will stay with the Defenders, half my mages, and enough of my command group to stay in control. That will be more then suitable to defend myself should someone manage to attack from across the river. Remember, by days end there should not be an inch of this battlefield not occupied by us. I certainly am not going to leave our entire rear open to attack should anyone cross here.” He spoke matter-of-factly, as if this were the only logical conclusion anyone should come to. “The Salvarians should find our way across the river soon enough. Until then the rest of you are going to move north, staying within sight of the river bank. Until we are engaged I want to cover as much ground as possible. I want every inch of this battlefield under our control. Understood?”

“Yes sir.”

“Good. Move along now, dawn approaches.”

Thoracis Rakarth smiled has the Lieutenant rode off. It felt good to be back in the saddle.

Thoracis, 10 command units, the Defenders of Kachuk, and 25 of the mages are staying in The Wetlands near the small bay. Everybody else is moving into the Western Bank (F).

Thoracis
08-09-07, 04:27 PM
(Continued from here: The Wayward Bridge (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=6773))

It was some time after the first trumpet blasts had reached Thoracis’ position in the wetlands that the runner had appeared. Thoracis was still atop his horse, watching as the dwarves continued to fortify their position. The look on the scouts face gave away that he carried bad news. He stopped before the General, waiting to be acknowledged. Eager for news he did not make the man wait long. “Report.”

“Sir, we’ve found a bridge that crosses the river. It seems to be the only way across and it’s damned small… crossing two abreast would be pushing it.”

Thoracis grimaced behind his mask. Launching an assault would be suicide then. If his troops were engaged while crossing they’d be stuck like lambs for the slaughter. “Go on.”

“Sir, by now we should be taking up position on the northern side of the bridge. The elves from Khu’Fein are anchoring the army with the Raiaerians to their rear. The mages are broken into two groups, flanking the main unit, with the cavalry held in reserve on the bank.” As the runner spoke Thoracis waved over a replacement from his command unit to return with his commands.

It was exactly how Thoracis would have organized them. He smiled at their efficiency. “Excellent. If engaged I want focused fire on the bridge. Not a soul crosses it. We have the tools to annihilate an army with these circumstances.” The fresh runner nodded, committing the orders to memory. “Most importantly, do not move to take the bridge. The enemy could be trying to wait us out. I will not have an ambush demolish us. We only move if the southern end is secure and we can take it without great casualties.”

“Understood.” Just like that the runner was off. The size of the battlefield was proving to be more then Thoracis had expected. He knew it would be many minutes before the runner reached the army, hopefully he would make it in time.

That hope fled almost instantly as shouts arose at the two riders racing towards the camp. Had the battle already begun? One of the horseman had a woman, bound and gagged, strapped in behind him. Thoracis rode to meet them.

“Sir…”

“Has the battle begun?”

“No sir. When we reached the bridge we found this one.” He motioned his head towards the girl behind him. “She must be enemy, despite her appearance. She asked to see our leader.”

Thoracis dismounted and the others followed suit. The cavalryman gingerly helped the girl down from his horse. Thoracis approached her, highly unafraid, removing her gag. “Who are you?”

“She’s Manda…” Thoracis shot a glance at the soldier. “Sorry sir, just that she’s covered that…. At length.”

Thoracis returned his icy gaze back on the girl. “Ok girl… I am Lord General Thoracis Rakarth.” He used his former title, speaking slowly, hoping she would recognize it. “There are some very important questions I am going to ask you. You are going to answer them to my satisfaction or I’m afraid I’ll have no further use of you. Am I clear?” She responded with a nod. “Alright then. How many troops are in your army?” Nothing. “Who is leading your army?” Nothing. “How many cavalry? Archers?” Nothing and nothing. Thoracis’ patience began to wane. He grabbed the girl by her chest plate, pulling her face close in to his mask. “Your courage will get you nowhere here girl. I suggest you start speaking.”

“Do you have vodka?”

Disgusted, Thoracis pushed the girl away. “Get her away from me!” One of the horseman picked the girl up, restored her gag, and began to lead her away. Thoracis motioned the other one to approach, speaking quietly, “Keep her alive for now. Maybe she’ll talk when we bring her the head of one of her comrades.”

(Permission to bunny the Manda granted. Back to here: The Wayward Bridge (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=6773))

Saxon
08-18-07, 12:21 AM
5 Qaltha Servitors have entered the Wetlands from the Eastern mountains.
1 Manuka Slaver has entered the Wetlands from the Eastern mountains.

Saxon
08-18-07, 12:21 AM
Five rust-coloured figures clacked their mandibles as the deadly burden between them shrugged them off savagely and dropped to the soft, moist ground, the locust-like buzz from their wings came to a grinding halt. The sea of leafy, emerald canopy devolved into dismal, black boughs that overhang the swamp that blotted out the pallid moon made it almost impossible to navigate in any direction at this time of night. Standing a few feet above a quagmire where basalt pools laid decadent, unspeakable horrors writhing under the opaque muck, an even greater predator stood staring at its charges, its brackish fangs snapping together at the thought of potential sustenance staring directly at it.

Without warning the Qaltha extended curious, human-like appendages forward, a rippling blue energy sparking from their palms and moved over the ground like a curtain was being pulled, a certain noontide cast upon the area that took over the scope of the insects’ overall vision. Hulking above the creatures, the savage Manuka dubbed Nithizthk stood proudly upon eight ebony legs dotted with glistened emerald scales, curving upon an elegantly long body that looked to be reminiscent of a mantis with a few obvious exceptions. Yellowish bulbs the size of lanterns scanned the area diligently for prey as it began to feel the panging hunger stretch down the course of its body, slowly beginning to drive it into a frenzy.

Savage, unkempt thoughts pooled and swirled within the creature’s primitive brain, Kazikis’ keen, wiry mind made short work of the chaos and translated it amongst his group within what bits and pieces he could, the language both guttural and spine-chilling: Soft-shells.. Find and show enemy, Nithizthk need squishies, it commanded while demonstrating the enemy’s intended fate with a combination of gnashing teeth and swipes from its scythe-like arms.

The small, frail beetle-like slaves didn’t even hesitate to carry out the orders of their gluttonous master, after a millennia of servitude under such creatures, the threat of pending death became instinct. Bull-headed, Kazikis nodded to his comrades and spoke with mal-formed mandibles cracking sickeningly into jaws, the pain almost excruciating,” You have your orders, simple peek then relay what you’ve found,” watching the Manuka trying stubbornly, but failing, to understand it’s slaves simplistic language, the Qaltha leader nodded to the slaver,” And don’t tell him what we’ve found either, that comes directly from mister Fred himself.”. The slaves nodded in agreement while the predator snapped its jaws ignorantly, its thoughts straying towards the food it would inevitably uncover.

Without another word, the five spies turned and darted off into the wilderness, trekking over whatever dry terrain could find, their rusty carapace melting into a primitive camouflage. Standing for a moment, its potential feast being duped, the slaver moved towards the pit of a winding willow and sank comfortably into the darkness with the illusion of patience.

~*~

1 Qaltha servitor moving to the Western Bank.