PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Fluid Time

Samoa
07-31-07, 02:43 PM
Hey all!

So I understand the basics of fluid time. But here's the issue: Wrae is about to make a jump ahead in time by a few weeks in order to be involved in a quest that fits perfectly with where I see him going. The problem: consistent with current progress, he'll be a lv 1 at that point in IC time. Thus, updated skills, plot revelations, etc and so forth. This doesn't make sense in OOC context.

At first I thought, "Oh, I'll just write like hell until I get all the in-betweens done." But practically, and given my fantastic work schedule, this won't work :)

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this before? Any suggestions?

Atzar
07-31-07, 03:00 PM
We kind of abuse liquid time in this situation. Any threads you begin - regardless of chronological order - up to the time that you increase in level are treated as if your character is level zero. After that, all threads you create are treated as if your character is level one. Although I have seen instances where the writer has chosen to limit his/her abilities as if the character was still at a lower level (when a future quest nets new abilities, for instance), I don't think treating him as if he was a higher level would work.

If that was the case, then as an example, what would keep me from saying a thread occurred 20 years into the future and that Atzar was a level 40 character at that point?

Point of the story: just treat him as if he's still level zero. We're not so harsh on chronological contiguity that we would shoot you for being a little off-kilter in that regard.

Samoa
08-01-07, 11:20 AM
Thanks man. I guess I'll just try and smooth out the IC wrinkles as best I can. It's more of a personal brain-knot anyways.